douchebaggery false accusations men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny MRA oppressed men rape rapey reddit that's not funny!

The False Rape Society is shocked — shocked! — by a fraternity’s “who would you rape?” survey.

The False Rape Society is shocked and stunned that frat boys would joke about rape.

So you may have seen the story yesterday about the University of Vermont fraternity that was suspended for sending out a charming little survey that allegedly asked, among other things, “If you could rape someone, who would it be?” (FWIW, the frat now says it was the work of an individual frat member, not the chapter.)

Reading about this incident, I’m guessing that you probably didn’t ask yourself: “I wonder how the guys at the False Rape Society will use this news to push their own agenda?” Heck, I didn’t even think to ask myself that question. But while doing the rounds of the MRA blogs I’ve discovered the answer to that question, and here it is: FRS head honcho Pierce Harlan described the survey as “perhaps a poke at feminism’s fascination with rape,” then denounced it as “indefensible,” then ranted about the evils of false rape accusations. I guess that isn’t really shocking at all.

First, Harlan offered this take on the “who would you rape” question:

I assume the survey was sick humor, a crude satire of the fratboy culture, and perhaps a poke at feminism’s fascination with rape.

Yes, because any time men make rape jokes it’s probably because, you know, feminism, and its wacky obsession with rape.

Then Harlan went on to suggest that rape was no laughing matter – especially when it comes to rape that doesn’t happen:

Whatever it was intended to be, ultimately it is indefensible, because trivializing the word “rape” is no laughing matter, whether it’s a joke about the rape of male prisoners, or the fantasy “rape” of women, or a false rape claim intended to get a guy in, or a woman out of, trouble.

Well, that was quick. Let’s not talk about the trivialization of real rape. Let’s talk about the epidemic of “false rape accusations” that Harlan has convinced himself is the real problem here.

With nary a pause, Harlan moved on to complain about hypothetical feminists making a big deal out of this survey instead of joining him on his crusade:

There most certainly will be an outcry in the feminist blogosphere over this isolated incident

This what incident?

and it will be cited as proof positive to support the myth that ours is a  “rape culture.”

Yeah, I wonder why casual jokes about rape would possibly be considered as part of “rape culture.”

A “rape culture,” of course, not only would tolerate but would condone such a puerile survey.  Our society does neither. The only “rape” jokes our society condones concerns prison rape — and that’s because society actually encourages prison rape as a sort of “added bonus” punishment for any hapless male who lands in prison.  It is ironic that actual prison rape does not garner the outrage that this this sick fratboy humor is generating. Go figure.

This from a guy who doesn’t seem to have ever even bothered to mention the leading anti-prison rape organization, Just Detention, on his web site. (See here for more on the issue on Man Boobz.) Though he does offer three links on his main page to information about the statute of limitation for rape charges, in case anyone reading is worried about getting caught being falsely accused for something they did didn’t do a long time ago.

Meanwhile,rape jokes — and not just prison rape jokes — are everywhere. Harlan, I assume you are at least somewhat familiar with a little site called Reddit, where people not only laugh at rape jokes – they laugh at actual rape!

Meanwhile, in the comments on Harlan’s article, some False Rape Society readers don’t even bother to pretend that the “rape survey” bothers them. According to the commenter called “bad,”

We should be celebrating young men who stand up against misandry. We should be celebrating the frat that said “no means yes” and we should be celebrating the frat that created this survey, if it’s a real story.

An anonymous commenter takes it a step further:

I do not condemn this action,

in fact, I wish I’d thought of it.

It is a brilliant and very appropriate response to the way young men are being treated by college campuses.

When the answer to “who would you like to treat like a rapist” is “all college men”, I think that asking them who they’d like to rape is more than fair.

But it is Harlan’s response to these comments that is the most revealing:

By the way, I read the reaction of Bad and others as a natural backlash … against the unconscionable PC culture of misandry on campus. I happen to disagree with those who suggest this was acceptable, but their remarks should not be construed as evidence that we live in a “rape culture.” Like Steve, I read their comments more as an affirmation that we live in a false rape culture–a culture that more and more men are finding intolerable.

I, on the other hand, doubt that these young men have the first clue about misandry, feminism, or how colleges run roughshod over the rights of young men. I am always amazed when we hear from falsely accused people who “had not idea this goes on.” My guess is they were just being being “funny.” I would, frankly, love to find out I am wrong, and that not only would they never call for a woman to be actually raped, but that this was a protest against the pendulum swinging too far. In that case, I am still not sure I could find it acceptable but it would initiate an entirely different dialogue.

So the survey is “indefensible,” yet a totally understandable reaction to, and protest against, an “unconscionable PC culture of misandry.”

Got it.

EDITED TO ADD: Harlan has written a response, of sorts, to this post. It is a bit — what’s the word I’m looking for here? — zany.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

bird – fluffy, noisy

(I had a budgie and a canary as a child – shame “bitey” isn’t a real word, that canary was mean)

NWO – manipulative, obvious

@Kyrie

I continued on with the rest to see what woman/brother/sister would get. But the response time was too slow online.

Why didn’t they use words like brave, courageous, selfless, loving, outgoing and so forth for men.

Because they’re made up people who only exist in your head.

Kyrie

We should have invited Arks to the test:

“When I think ‘woman’ the first thing that comes to mind is ‘wasted potential”
NOT positive.

VoiP
VoiP

AntZ would have played but the only thing that came out of his mouth was ROBOTS. Like, in all caps too, just:

ROBOTS

zhinxy

VoiP ” Actually, tall was just me fishing for my initial word picture, which is something like “limbed?”

How…many…limbs?”

A lot, cause it’s da-vinci’s range of motion and um.. stuff? 😉

Kyrie

NWO: when you say brother or sister, contrary to man or woman, I don’t think about things in general, just mines.

zhinxy

Anyway, Evidence of this study, please?

Also, taxes?

zhinxy

kyrie – exactly. brother and sister for me are concrete, not abstract.

Joanna

I don’t have a brother so I didn’t know what to say =/

@zhinxy
“ALL of them? Nobody even answered a weird one like I did (“hungry, was one of mine)?”

Nope, no funny ones. Every trait associated with man was bad and every trait associated with woman was good.

This is why pretty much why all men avoid therapists like the plague.

Kyrie

I miss big sister 🙁 She’s working in Israel in a hospital for dying and/or old people, which makes her two kinds of brave at the same time. Being female does not.

Kyrie

“There was a recent article about boys, where they interviewed adolescent boys and asked them why they don’t see a therapist or school councilor if they’re depressed. The #1 answer was, and this is a quote, “What’s the point.” I heartily agree.”
And what did girls answered? I think “what’s the point?” would be answer number one for depressed people who don’t see a therapist, no matter the ages or the gender.

VoiP
VoiP

you’re not going to cite this or anything

This is why pretty much why all men avoid therapists like the plague.

my psychologist and psychiatrist are both men. Do they avoid themselves? Or did I just BLOW YOUR MIND

Kyrie

And we still need the link, that’s like internet debate 101.

Molly Ren

This was actually fun(?) but I don’t think it proved what NWOslave wanted it to prove. “Sticky men! On FIRE! With kittens!”

Actually, NWOslave, why DID you want to prove that all therapists are sexist?

Monk goes to therapists. At least one of them is male (bad, bad memory) 🙂

Kyrie

Molly: to explain why he’s helpless?

@Molly Ren

A therapist can only be hurtful when they all come in with preconcieved notions of men having only negative traits. How can a therapist possibly help?

Nobby

So, NWO, links? Anywhere? I mean, I know it’s hard for you to link to parts of the internet that aren’t about conspiracies and holocaust denial, but pretty please?

Joanna

Have you ever met a therapist NWO?

hellkell
hellkell

NWO, where’s this study? Otherwise I’ll think you pulled it directly from your ass where the rest of your greatest hits come from.

ozymandias42

NWO, seriously, do you have a cite for that study? It sounds like perfect NSWATM material.

And men are socialized away from going to therapists, because it’s unmanly to go to therapists. And there tend to be more female therapists, which causes some problems, because men may feel less comfortable talking to a woman.

Molly Ren

I think going to a therapist, period, has a bad connotation. No matter what gender of therapist you’re going to go see, people don’t want to go because it will mean they’re “crazy”, and the chance of stigma outweighs everything else.

Once, when I was wondering out loud if I would benefit from therapy after a depressing year, a friend of mine told me that therapists “just make you feel worse” and make you go over your past so you’re worse off than you were before so you’d keep paying them money… and as little sense as this makes to me now after I’ve read about actual therapy and mental illness, I don’t think this idea’s been entirely stamped out in our culture.

Nobby

I saw a study once about how people who believe in feminist conspiracies are all hateful, misogynistic douche bags with no friends or family that admit to their existence! Every single one. Really, totally true, on my honor. It totally happened.

What citation?

Joanna

What’s a citation?

NWOslave

Men earn only one in five of all master’s degrees awarded in psychology, down from half in the 1970s. They account for less than 10 percent of social workers under the age of 34, according to a recent survey. And their numbers have dwindled among professional counselors – to 10 percent of the American Counseling Association’s membership today from 30 percent in 1982 – and appear to be declining among marriage and family therapists.

David Moultrup, a psychotherapist in Belmont, Mass. “But that male viewpoint has been so devalued in the course of empowering little girls for the past 40 or 50 years that it is now all but lost in talk therapy. Society needs to have the choice, and the choice is being taken away.”

Psychological Association; in 1975, men earned 70 percent of America’s psychology PhDs. In 2008, that number dwindled down to 30 percent. Of course, psychology isn’t the only profession to undergo a feminization process—the law and education are others—but apparently the imbalance in psychology has become a bit extreme. The rare man who does follow through with brain school is at risk of ending up outnumbered, alienated, and even ignored:

Law. Education. Psychology.

Where does a man turn?

Joanna

“The rare man who does follow through with brain school is at risk of ending up outnumbered, alienated, and even ignored:”

Like women in engineering!

Molly Ren

NWOslave, I thought you were proving that ALL therapists, both men and women, saw men in a negative light. So why do you want MORE men to become something that will just teach them to hate themselves?

NWO, making up more fake studies doesn’t make them real.

Polliwog
Polliwog

Aw, man, I missed the game. It looked like fun! Especially the sticky men and energy-efficient brothers.

Also, NWO, please do source the study you’re talking about. As others said, while I’m willing to believe that you might have the gist of it right, it really doesn’t seem plausible that in open-ended word association, no one would have replied to “man” with “tall” or “funny” or “masculine” or “hairy” or “happy” or “sexy” or “squamous” or “flammable.” People tend to have enough variation that a word association test with no weird answers or outliers at all sounds pretty damned unlikely.

(Also also, my boyfriend is in regular therapy with a female therapist. She has yet to teach him that men are terrible, but she HAS done a pretty good job of helping him feel less like he’s terrible. Maybe the bit where all men are terrible comes later? Or, you know, maybe that’s total nonsense? One of those.)

Dog Fort is my new favorite meme, btw.

Joanna

“energy efficient brothers”

That’d make a cool band name =D

@Joanna
“Like women in engineering!”

Don’t fret. Starting in 2012 Big Daddy will do the same there as with every other field. Quota’s will be mandated in 2012 for all stem courses.

Joanna

Molly Ren

So NWOslave’s new theory is that, when you let women into professions, they immediately take it over and use it as a vehicle to teach people how awful men are?

Who does he think he is, David K. Meller?

Spearhafoc

Did someone say Slender Man?

Not my best work. Just a bit of fun.

Nobby

Law. Education. Psychology.

Where does a man turn?

How about Physics, Comp Sci, Engineering, Philosophy, Religion/religious studies, Math, Astronomy,Astrophysics, Economics/Econometrics, Chemistry, Earth Sciences, History, Stats, Biochemistry, Evolutionary Biology, or classics?

Joanna

Spearhafoc: that’s a good example of a sticky man =)

@Joanna
“Ah right, so equal rights for all people just get thrown out the window cos… help me out here.”

The qualification for education, employment, child custody, justice is woman.

Joanna

I think what NWO is saying is that when women enter a male dominated field, men get scared by women who are good at the same stuff as them. So to avoid being “immasculated” they just stop pursuing careers where women work too…

@Nobby

Don’t worry about that chart, starting in 2012 all hard sciences will be quota mandatory.

@Joanna

How does it feel knowing quota’s at gunpoint is women’s greatest achievement?

Joanna

“How does it feel knowing quota’s at gunpoint is women’s greatest achievement?”

Lol! NWO, you’re fucking insane.

Nobby

That he is, Joanna. That his is.

So, citations? I know how you don’t care about actual data or anything, since you dismiss mine out of hand, but do you have any evidence of your assertions whatsoever?

Spearhafoc

Quota’s

Again, you do not put apostrophes in a word when you pluralise it, only when it’s a contraction of ” is” (say, “This pizza’s hot” is short for “This pizza is hot”) or if you’re implying a relationship of possession with the following word (say, “the cat’s paw”).

I’m not making fun of you, just pointing out a problem with the intention of helping you avoid making the same mistake in the future.

I’m not even claiming I’m doing it solely for your benefit. Seeing a mistake like that bothers my pedantic nature. I have to stop, read it again, and correct the problem in my head. It’s sort of like translating a language. It takes time out of reading the rest of your posts. So if you could avoid improper apostrophes, I’d appreciate it. Thanks.

@Joanna

Since women write the majority of laws, or at least they are written for women. Women are the vast majority of teachers and shrinks. How does it feel knowing the world in going to hell in a hand basket? Our school system is a total failure. Our law system is a corrupt, bloated monstrosity. The pschological outlook of society as a whole is disturbed and nihilistic.

Since you gals have done such a bang up job in those fields by mandatory laws, let’s see what you can do in hard sciences as well. Kudos ladies on a fine job. Who will you blame when everything goes plop? Men? Hahahaha. You made the mess, you clean it up. Good luck!

Joanna

Those are some pretty wild assumptions there NWO. Do I get a sense of the whacky tobaccy here?

@Joanna
I wish!

zhinxy

NWO – All of this, and you still won’t answer me a simple question about taxes? Seriously, what is up with that?