douchebaggery false accusations men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny MRA oppressed men rape rapey reddit that's not funny!

The False Rape Society is shocked — shocked! — by a fraternity’s “who would you rape?” survey.

The False Rape Society is shocked and stunned that frat boys would joke about rape.

So you may have seen the story yesterday about the University of Vermont fraternity that was suspended for sending out a charming little survey that allegedly asked, among other things, “If you could rape someone, who would it be?” (FWIW, the frat now says it was the work of an individual frat member, not the chapter.)

Reading about this incident, I’m guessing that you probably didn’t ask yourself: “I wonder how the guys at the False Rape Society will use this news to push their own agenda?” Heck, I didn’t even think to ask myself that question. But while doing the rounds of the MRA blogs I’ve discovered the answer to that question, and here it is: FRS head honcho Pierce Harlan described the survey as “perhaps a poke at feminism’s fascination with rape,” then denounced it as “indefensible,” then ranted about the evils of false rape accusations. I guess that isn’t really shocking at all.

First, Harlan offered this take on the “who would you rape” question:

I assume the survey was sick humor, a crude satire of the fratboy culture, and perhaps a poke at feminism’s fascination with rape.

Yes, because any time men make rape jokes it’s probably because, you know, feminism, and its wacky obsession with rape.

Then Harlan went on to suggest that rape was no laughing matter – especially when it comes to rape that doesn’t happen:

Whatever it was intended to be, ultimately it is indefensible, because trivializing the word “rape” is no laughing matter, whether it’s a joke about the rape of male prisoners, or the fantasy “rape” of women, or a false rape claim intended to get a guy in, or a woman out of, trouble.

Well, that was quick. Let’s not talk about the trivialization of real rape. Let’s talk about the epidemic of “false rape accusations” that Harlan has convinced himself is the real problem here.

With nary a pause, Harlan moved on to complain about hypothetical feminists making a big deal out of this survey instead of joining him on his crusade:

There most certainly will be an outcry in the feminist blogosphere over this isolated incident

This what incident?

and it will be cited as proof positive to support the myth that ours is a  “rape culture.”

Yeah, I wonder why casual jokes about rape would possibly be considered as part of “rape culture.”

A “rape culture,” of course, not only would tolerate but would condone such a puerile survey.  Our society does neither. The only “rape” jokes our society condones concerns prison rape — and that’s because society actually encourages prison rape as a sort of “added bonus” punishment for any hapless male who lands in prison.  It is ironic that actual prison rape does not garner the outrage that this this sick fratboy humor is generating. Go figure.

This from a guy who doesn’t seem to have ever even bothered to mention the leading anti-prison rape organization, Just Detention, on his web site. (See here for more on the issue on Man Boobz.) Though he does offer three links on his main page to information about the statute of limitation for rape charges, in case anyone reading is worried about getting caught being falsely accused for something they did didn’t do a long time ago.

Meanwhile,rape jokes — and not just prison rape jokes — are everywhere. Harlan, I assume you are at least somewhat familiar with a little site called Reddit, where people not only laugh at rape jokes – they laugh at actual rape!

Meanwhile, in the comments on Harlan’s article, some False Rape Society readers don’t even bother to pretend that the “rape survey” bothers them. According to the commenter called “bad,”

We should be celebrating young men who stand up against misandry. We should be celebrating the frat that said “no means yes” and we should be celebrating the frat that created this survey, if it’s a real story.

An anonymous commenter takes it a step further:

I do not condemn this action,

in fact, I wish I’d thought of it.

It is a brilliant and very appropriate response to the way young men are being treated by college campuses.

When the answer to “who would you like to treat like a rapist” is “all college men”, I think that asking them who they’d like to rape is more than fair.

But it is Harlan’s response to these comments that is the most revealing:

By the way, I read the reaction of Bad and others as a natural backlash … against the unconscionable PC culture of misandry on campus. I happen to disagree with those who suggest this was acceptable, but their remarks should not be construed as evidence that we live in a “rape culture.” Like Steve, I read their comments more as an affirmation that we live in a false rape culture–a culture that more and more men are finding intolerable.

I, on the other hand, doubt that these young men have the first clue about misandry, feminism, or how colleges run roughshod over the rights of young men. I am always amazed when we hear from falsely accused people who “had not idea this goes on.” My guess is they were just being being “funny.” I would, frankly, love to find out I am wrong, and that not only would they never call for a woman to be actually raped, but that this was a protest against the pendulum swinging too far. In that case, I am still not sure I could find it acceptable but it would initiate an entirely different dialogue.

So the survey is “indefensible,” yet a totally understandable reaction to, and protest against, an “unconscionable PC culture of misandry.”

Got it.

EDITED TO ADD: Harlan has written a response, of sorts, to this post. It is a bit — what’s the word I’m looking for here? — zany.

Pecunium

Molly: Actually, NWOslave, why DID you want to prove that all therapists are sexist?

He didn’t. No matter what was said the answer (from him) was going to be all therapists hate men, so anyone who suggests therapy is telling men to learn to hate themselves.

NWO: Don’t worry about that chart, starting in 2012 all hard sciences will be quota mandatory.

Stop lying. I read the article you linked to. It said that in 2012 a study would be funded to see about the causes for inequalities in enrollment in various disciplines.

There is no authority to make regulation, much less laws. The results will be used to consider any need for institutional changes, and be used in making any recommendations. But that’s all.

SaruGoku
SaruGoku

Joanna said:

“Hang on now, ocean scenery and kittens? Who the hell decorated this place?”

They were obviously catfish.

Dracula
Dracula

#1)If spear was aroused he wasn’t raped. She’s off the hook.

You’re aware (Of course you’re not.) that it’s possible to be aroused and not want to actually go through the sexual act itself, right? Because your brain can make conscious decisions even when you’ve got a boner?

Lauralot
Lauralot

Because your brain can make conscious decisions even when you’ve got a boner?

If NWO were to admit this, he couldn’t claim that women’s slutty clothing is what gets them raped.

Moewicus
Moewicus

Because as every grown man knows, one’s penis always obeys one’s orders when past the age of 18.

zhinxy

“#1)If spear was aroused he wasn’t raped. She’s off the hook.”

Oh, god, how horrible.

zhinxy

“some worry that America’s military superiority and security
will suffer as a result of this reliance on foreign talent.”103
Fortunately, the United States has an untapped pool of
potential workers. If women and members of other traditionally
underrepresented groups, such as racial and ethnic
minorities and individuals with disabilities,”

Actually, truth to tell, I do have a HUGE problem with the “Let’s make sure discrimination isn’t hurting the military industrial complex” logic here, but I doubt that’s the problem I’m supposed to have… or something. Is the military industrial complex good or bad? Please help me out here, NWO?

Also, how much government do I want, and how much do you want? Would you be willing to debate me elsewhere on these matters?

zhinxy

Lauralot – Actually, the Amish are a type of Mennonite…

I’m not sure he knows that, though…

Spearhafoc

I find it amusing (for varying definitions of amusing) that NWOslave thinks a woman could be responsible for her own rape, but not a rape she actually commits.

zhinxy

Spearhafoc – It really is something, isn’t it?

Lauralot
Lauralot

@zhinxy: I would bet money that he doesn’t.

VoiP
VoiP

It’s simple if you remember that in NWO’s universe

1. Women do not feel sexual desire
2. But men always do

VoiP
VoiP

NOW, do you believe women want to have sex? Does sex — not the cultural narrative we’ve built up around the act, but the basic fact of nerve endings answering stimulation — feel good to women?

Molly Ren

Holy shit, NWOslave actually answered Ozy!

zhinxy

WHY DID YOU ANSWER OZY ABOUT THE TAXES AND NOT ME???

Xanthe
Xanthe

Quid pro quo… NWO has dibs on a free role play on Ozy at another time.

zhinxy

Xanthe – This is true. Still, i’m disappointed! :p

Ami Angelwings

@zhinxy
Stop pretending to be anything but someone who want’s more government.

Oh? xD How is she pretending? What does she REALLY believe huh? And how do you know this? xD

Unlike you, (mr. I want the government to do everything for me and oppress women b/c freedom means trans ppl, gay ppl, abortions and … GASP SLUTS) she actually has laid out ideas for a state-free society, she has articulated these things, she’s shown she’s read up on the topic. Outside of you giving lip service to “I don’t like the state RAWR!” you haven’t articulated NETHING else but wanting more gov XD So I think you’re the one who needs to stop pretending XD

Xanthe
Xanthe

zhinxy

Xanthe – “The NWO giveth, and the NWO taketh away… at one point yesterday he said he could listen to me all night, a couple of hours later and I’m back to being one of dem ebil feminists.”

Fickle, fickle man!

Ami Angelwings

There’s a simple way for you to prove that Zhinxy is lying and doesn’t believe in Libertarianism btw NWO.

A very easy way :3

She’s alrdy offered it to you and you ran away remember? xD

So I’ll offer it again 😀 And you can take it or forever hold your peace xD

She challenged you to a Libertarian debate before…

the challenge is still open…

You claim to be the expert, you claim that she’s lying and therefore you must have reasons why you think she’s lying, reasons you can readily show (since they’re apparent to you :3 )

So.. expose her. 😀

WHAT SAY YOU BRAVE GLADIATOR OF THE WHITE SHAFT!

DO YOU ACCEPT THE CHALLENGE OF ZHINXY, CORRUPTER OF CAUSES?

zhinxy

Yeah, seriously, NWO, if it’s this obvious I am pretending, I should be easy to expose, right? 🙂

Ami Angelwings

Be careful my Dark Sister, NWOslave is more clever than he appears.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

“Be careful my Dark Sister, NWOslave is more clever than he appears.”

Well, that’s not exactly difficult.

Martina
Martina

How about the right to use words (expression) ! If you infer that the Frat guy is pro- rape, he has that right.

Jason

“And how on earth can you possibly tell if a woman actually, for real, wants to have sex with you? It’s not like you can ask her directly, because she has the power of speech, or anything like that.”

And women say men are terrible communicators. Yes, there’s absolutely no way for women to give a signal they want to have sex without being directly asked. Next time you want to ask a man why he didn’t call, use this logic. Why didn’t you directly call him and ask him to call? Doesn’t really work doesn’t. When looking for signs of the other person’s affection and not getting any, the response “well you didn’t ask” really doesn’t work.

IzaakMak

Nice. You’ve got a new subscriber!

billy williams
billy williams

Ok,He didn’t use it as an opportunity to preach about the awfulness of a false rape accusation he used it as an opportunity to point out the hypocrisy of those who cry out against rape,But look the other way when a FRA happens. Let’s go through these one by one ok:

It was a poke at how much feminist attention it was getting

He was simply saying that NOTHING that has anything to do with rape is funny,Well wouldn’t that include false rape accusations?

The incident at this university has had nothing to do with any other events involving frat boys so it’s isolated from the rest hence the term “isolated incident”

Cruel jokes don’t mean that there is an epidemic of people condoning rape,There are jokes about murder yet i never hear of a “murder culture”

But prison rape really doesn’t get the same attention as other rape jokes do.-”Don’t drop the soap” would have to be the biggest rape joke of all time & the only one where you never hear people upset about it. & his website is about false accusations,Not rape so why would there be links to anti rape websites,That’s not what his websites supposed to be about,It’s about FRA’s as well as the hypocrisy of those who ignore them.

First,That was not the official stance of FRS just a reader/commenter. Second,I believe what that person was trying to say is that it is good for people to stand up against what is wrong & what they feel is wrong is treating everything like it is a sign of rape culture when it isn’t & this was just meant to poke fun at that.

As young college men are often treated like rapists(or potential ones) the second they get through the door the reader was saying that it would make sense that if you treat all men like animals,We might as well act like one.

The point was that while the survey was not appropriate,It was seen as something possibly meant to counter the culture of misandry on college campuses,As if to say “You think I’m an animal? Well then i might as well act like one!”-The right way to do it? Perhaps not. Maybe it was the wrong thing,but at least someone did something.

jumbofish

Sneak troll found! Target locked!

Kyrie
Kyrie

So, doing something bad is better than doing nothing? Mmh, that open so many doors in terms of moral reasoning. I was hesitating between stabbing someone or staring at my ceiling, I guess I know what’s better… Doing SOMETHING.

Try to do a “drop the soap” joke on a feminist blog or website. The reaction might surprise you.

cloudiah

Wow, Billy, it took you 5 months to come up with that response to the original post? I would have expected something a little more polished. But hey, thanks for posting the exact same link to the FRS blog that David already included. That was helpful.

Kyrie
Kyrie

Actually the tread was resurrected 3 times since 2011. That’s sort of impressive.

jumbofish

HEY SAYING SOMETHING TO DAVID IS BETTER THAN NOTHING.

Kyrie
Kyrie

cloudiah: yeah, but that’s the FAQ, it’s kind of atemporal, that’s the one thread you can access at any moment, no matter where you’re on the blog.

billy williams
billy williams

No, i didn’t mean doing something bad is better than nothing, but in this case, if the fraternity really believed they were doing something good by countering misandry, i understand it. That at least people were trying to help fight against it. Again, if that’s what they were doing. Also, i posted the exact same comment 5 months ago, but no one seemed to notice it so i thought I’d try again.

billy williams
billy williams

@cloudiah I hope it was helpful, i hope so 😉

Kyrie
Kyrie

Except there weren’t trying to “fight misandry”. There were just having fun and laughing at the idea of raping people. Nowhere in the universe does that qualify as an attempt to fight anything, except maybe decency and respect for humans lives. Not by any standards.

And someone treating “like an animal*” is no reason to act like that. Not legally, not morally.

*my apologies to non-humans animals, who are actually way less cruel than that.

billy williams
billy williams

They could have been trying to fight misandry,-perhaps a poke at feminism(like harlan said). I don’t know but it could have been.

And i’m not saying it was the right decision, just that if they were trying to fight misandry, i understand, that’s all.

1 21 22 23