$MONEY$ antifeminism evil women I'm totally being sarcastic men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny MRA oppressed men reactionary bullshit reddit

MRA: Women hate engineering because it’s too hard and they’d rather mooch off their husbands.

Computer Engineer Barbie is sick of this bullshit.

Ever wonder why there are so few women engineers? Well, wonder no more, because carchamp1 over on the Men’s Rights subreddit has the answer! It’s apparently his wife’s fault, or something. In a comment with two dozen upvotes at last count, he explains:

I put my wife through four years of college to be an engineer. That’s four years worth of college tuition and expenses, plus not having any income from her. She got a great job and worked for a couple years. She decided she didn’t want to work anymore so she could be a “stay-at-home-mom”. When I urged her to work she said if I didn’t like it she would take our kid and I could leave.

Women don’t want to be engineers that’s why there are so few. It’s too hard. It’s a lot easier doing the “hardest job in the world”, you know, be a mom and living off your husband.

End of story.

Yeah, it’s not like there might be any other reasons beyond laziness and ingratitude, or anything.

Holly Pervocracy

I wonder: did her decision to become a stay-at-home mom have something to do with becoming a mom?

My boyfriend is an engineer and he doesn’t make enough to pay for a nanny for all the hours he works. Maybe she was in a similar situation.

Or fuck, maybe she could have afforded a nanny but thought her husband would have her back. It doesn’t have to be an economic necessity. I knew a guy who quit his job to pursue a home business and his wife had his back while he worked on that, although she’s well aware it may never be profitable. Not every marriage is a matter of “you may live in my house but by God you better pay your way!” Some people are actually willing to support each other.

Men's Rights Activist Lieutenant

Please, please let him not have been one of the ones complaining about women stealing men’s jobs.

Holly Pervocracy

Katz – Women are stealing men’s jobs because–as demonstrated by the fact that they sometimes leave their jobs–they aren’t competent to have those jobs. However, women still shouldn’t expect men to support them.

The correct answer is for women to, uh… uh… LOOK OVER THERE!

*hides*

Snowy
Snowy

Math class is tough!

Molly Ren

“Women are stealing men’s jobs because–as demonstrated by the fact that they sometimes leave their jobs–they aren’t competent to have those jobs. However, women still shouldn’t expect men to support them.”

No, no, Holly! They should just go and be a whore in a bro–I mean, House of Entertainment!

filetofswedishfish

Anecdote fun time! My best friend? Nuclear engineer. Currently pregnant with her first child. Her husband stays at home. Both of her sisters? Involved in the nuclear program in the Navy before getting out. One is still in the nuclear engineering biz. My best friend loves her job to pieces, and also is happy to support her hubs, because staying home makes him happy. But then, they are a normal, functioning couple.

Quackers
Quackers

Because when one woman does something, it means ALL women do the EXACT SAME THING.

LOGIC!

Grinner
Grinner

I have a friend who’s studying computer science (not quite engineering, but similar amounts of math and dickholery towards women) and, while virtually guaranteed a job at certain companies that aren’t assholes, being a woman in the compsci department on campus means she gets the make-work, no credit, and never listened to in class/in projects.

Ahh, how nice boys can be when they play with numbers and forget social interaction (I refuse to admit that these kind of people are grown up enough to be called anything but boys)

Viscaria
Viscaria

And from my engineer mom, and her two consecutive engineer husbands, I offer this hearty “fuck you also!”

What time she took off, and what career sacrifices she and my stepdad made, we’re necessary for the family. And you can bite my well-raised ass.

Crumbelievable
Crumbelievable

So they’re simultaneously mocking women who claim that pervasive sexism prevents them from achieving satisfying careers as engineers….while also being incredibly sexist in arguing that women are not intelligent enough to become engineers.

What.

ozymandias42

My dad quit work to sail while my mom continued working!

Therefore, all men do this!

LOGIC.

Viscaria
Viscaria

Were, gosh darn it. Were.

I might resent my father somewhat for not doing any of the child-rearing or cooking or cleaning or anything, but at least when my mom was doing all of that and holding down a full-time job and became entirely exhausted, he understood when she took a year off and wasn’t a jerk about it.

hellkell
hellkell

I wonder if this dude has told his wife what a leech he thinks she is. Somehow I doubt his story went down the way he said it did.

Bee
Bee

Yeah, I doubt that too. I will say this: If it did go down the way he said, with him trying to bring up the topic and her immediately threatening divorce, I think that sucks. In fact, if he hadn’t then used that situation as a way to complain about how all women in general are unfit for engineering positions, I’d feel a little bad for him.

However, I can’t imagine that actually playing out in a relationship between humans. Unless there’s some awful backstory that he’s left out.

Oh yeah, my sister is an engineer. And a wife and mom.

ozymandias42

You know if he objected so much he could stay home with his damn kid.

amandajane5

MRAL, you rock the fuck on with your “wimminz studies” and get out of them what you will. Since this is something that you made up with a totally-your-own made up word, I am sure you will soon be an expert! Not that you aren’t already in your own mind. I happen to have an actual engineering degree from a little known school called Johns Hopkins, so I have a bit more experience with the things women in engineering have to put up with than a 19-year-old lifeguard/student, but I’m sure you’re totally right and I’m wrong, because you totally have a penis and I don’t! Go you and your world-conquering or whatever.

LOTS OF WOMEN HAVE ENGINEERING DEGREES. IN ADDITION TO DEGREES IN MATH AND SCIENCE.

Kendra, the bionic mommy
Kendra, the bionic mommy

Those men’s rights redditors are so annoying. They love to bash stay at home moms, but I’ve also seen them bash moms who put their children in daycare while they work full time outside the home. In MRA Land, a mother can either be an evil leech who stays home with the kids or an evil career woman who neglects her kids and steals men’s jobs. There are no options that aren’t evil for moms. Maybe carchamp1 could offer to stay home with the kids himself if he thinks it’s so easy. I bet he would consider housework and caring for an infant to be lowly “women’s work”, though.

ozymandias42

I’m a sociology major focusing on gender and I’ve pulled triple all nighters. (“All nighter” is here defined as “less than three hours’ sleep per night.”) Ten-page papers don’t write themselves, you know.

ozymandias42

Also, I have a female friend who’s in biochem and has occasionally pulled so many all-nighters that she lost her ability to sleep.

2-D Man
2-D Man

Computer Engineer Barbie?! Why’d they have to pick the most boring kind of engineering for Barbie? They should make a Mining Engineer Barbie; she comes with a stick of dynamite. Playing with Barbie will be considered bad ass… especially if one hasn’t died.

Men's Rights Activist Lieutenant

YEAH RIGHT!!!! With all u guys spending so much goddamn time her during finals week, u clearly have nothing to do. Look at me. I am going to go and rule the world with all my studyigjn.

Men's Rights Activist Lieutenant

I have it on good from an engineering acquaintance that in fact, having a vagina unofficially entitles to to pretty much any job, a WAY better salary and basically you become unfire-able. FUcking privileged women.

CassandraSays

“I do think that when CERTAIN (not all) wimminz get older, they might realize what little skills they have. Should have majored in engineering or MATH or SCIENCE, amirite? Not Wymyn’s Studies. Hey, I spent an afternoon in the New York Goddamn Library and I know as much about Wimminz Studies as the average wimminz studies major! bet they aren’t ogulling DOUBLE ALL NIGHTERS MOTHER FUCKER!!!!!

24”

Is that the number of flecks of spittle that hit the monitor as you were typing, or the number of BITCH FUCK ALPHA GASHES who gravely insulted you today by not offering to suck your cock when you stood next to them in the elevator?

tatjna
tatjna

Nobody gets to decide what job is ‘too hard’ for me, except me. carchamp1 can kiss my arse. And the arse of every other woman for whom he has tried to make decisions that are not his to make. This most likely includes his wife.

BlackBloc
BlackBloc

I did a Masters in Comp. Sci. and never had to pull an all-nighter… well, outside of staying all-night playing “one more turn” of Civilization, but that doesn’t count.

ozymandias42

I think whether one pulls all-nighters depends on the difficulty of one’s program and one’s time management skills, personally.

Men's Rights Activist Lieutenant

Personally, I think that it depends on if you’re challenging yourself or taking useless shit like Women’s Studies (ie, stuff not important enough to be in real history classes). I fucking despise Women’s Studies. It’s misandric and politically correct 2 tha core.

CassandraSays

LOL. Women have better time management skills than men – FUCK, PRINCESS, GASHES.

BlackBloc
BlackBloc

I’m just saying, it seems to me this whole “Engineering is HARD guyz” thing is just very self-serving. The teachers at my university all participated in the practice I called “Take It Easy Friday”: since 90% of students go home on Friday nights, they partied on the Thursday, and they were hangover on Friday mornings so it was tacitly accepted that any class on Friday morning would have to be light on content… and that’s even from teachers that were otherwise hard asses, like my Operating Systems teacher. I coasted through classes. Now, admitedly, I do have a high IQ… 😉 j/k

You’ve got these people who have an uncanny knack understanding computers and can’t think their way out of a paper bag when it comes to figuring out people, and inexplicably their worldview is that computers are for intelligent people and social skills are worthless? How convenient.

Pecunium

MRAL: It might be that you haven’t properly analysed the needs of your classes and well managed your time; while the women you decry are just better at that sort of thing than you are and so don’t need to cram to pass.

CassandraSays

Hey, maybe if MRAL spent more time writing papers and less time posting profanity-filled rants here he would be able to get some sleep.

Monsieur sans Nom
Monsieur sans Nom

Ya know, the world could really use more women like that.

Quackers
Quackers

@MRAL

Double all-nighter? ooooh you’re so awesome MRAL!! Not. I stayed up 3 nights in a row to finish my final project in college, on top of a bunch of other all-nighters I and many other male and female classmates pulled during the year.

You aren’t as special or badass as you think you are MRAL, you arrogant little asswipe.

Quackers
Quackers

hell I still pull all-nighters even now to finish freelance projects, and I still manage to post on Manboobz without the incoherent rants filled with profanity XD

CassandraSays

Me too, Quackers! Apparently I have a dark sense of humor, because I mostly find out resident trolls absolutely hilarious.

But seriously, MRAL – I’m old enough to be your mom and I can still pull all-nighters without whining about it. Drink some coffee or something.

Men's Rights Activist Lieutenant

A bunch of ARROGANT PRIVILEGD WOMEN, I hope you enjoy talking about your WYMYN’S STUDIES SHIT you ARROGANT FUCKS

Men's Rights Activist Lieutenant

BTW, Pecunium, I’m smart and Have gret time management skills. BUT, to get TTOP GRADES, and thus be better than all the goddamn fucks in this school, i need to do this shit. If it was all women and their humanities soft idiocy, that would be no problem, but there are other MEN here, INTELLIGENT MEN that do sckience and i must compete with them.

Bostonian

For all nighters in college, Jolt cola and No doz by the fistful! ( I’m not sure how I still have a stomach lining after doing that as often as I did)

firebee

How many degrees in engineering do you have, MRAL?

CassandraSays

No doz! I’d forgotten about that. I used to get friends in the US to send it to me in London until I discovered that it was more efficient to just take speed.

(Waits for troll pearl clutching to commence.)

John
John

MRAL, come on. You’re making a complete ass of yourself. Get some sleep, even if it’s only two or three hours, and then get back to the books.

Quackers
Quackers

@Cassandra

I look at them with a mix of pity, disgust and a desire to live on a planet where such hideous examples of people do not exist. Although some amusement come from their antics or I probably wouldn’t come here as often 😛

Energy drinks might be better. That’s what I and my peers would often use. They cause quite a crash though.

Bostonian

7 am classes also required a giant coffee with No Doz accompaniment. I was, and am, afraid of speed, I am addicted enough to caffeine, I am certain I would become dependent on any stimulant I tried.

It took me years to get down to one maintenance dose of caffeine per day.

CassandraSays

Oddly enough I seem to find uppers completely non-addictive – they work great on me, but it’s easy to stop taking them. I guess I just don’t have an addictive personality – wasn’t hard for me to quit smoking either.

Pecunium

It’s not as if I’ve never pulled all-nighters. Times when I had stories on deadline, and a paper to put to bed, and assignments to write for other reporters, and copy to edit, and heads and cutlines to write.

Then there were the 60 hour weeks I put in for three months as a machinist (because the owners had accepted more orders than we had the ability to do, on the machines available)

Or the serial all-nighters in the army, when it was cold, and wet and it wasn’t studying for a math test, but hauling ourselves through the woods at Ft. Lewis looking for ambushes, or setting them, or patrolling, doing land-nav, planning/making assaults on fortified positions.

Or the convoys, and other operations in Iraq (where the down time was spent setting up tents, or maintaining vehicles, or burning shit; no internet, no cable, no phones), and sleeping outdoors.

Then there were the nights on foal-watch, tending sick foals, or helping to birth mules. There’ve been three occasions I’ve pulled all-nighters for human births, and one I just did for a kidney stone.

I’ve also been up all night tending colicky babies.

So yeah, the life of an engineering student seems really arduous to me, what with all the things outside his control that made staying up for three days straight such a trial.

CassandraSays

Now acid, that scares the shit out of me. My imagination is vivid enough already, thanks.

CassandraSays

Speaking of trolls, where’s Meller? You’d think he’d have dropped in to tell us about how naturally unsuited ladies are to engineering by now. Maybe he got a new doll or something.

shaenon

Yeeeah… based on, I dunno, everything you’ve ever posted, I kind of doubt that. (For starters, I haven’t seen you spell “women” correctly even once.)

In fact, I was going to suggest that you consider taking a women’s studies class. I never took anything in that department myself, but it might help you. I’m being completely serious here. I remember that in the past you’ve made comments sympathetic to the problems of people of color (even women of color!) because you’d read some books on the subject; reading up on gender issues could have a similar effect.

What’s your major, by the way?

shaenon

Back in college, I used to pull all-nighters working on English papers while messaging with my friend the cognitive science major while she built a fire-fighting robot in the computer lab. Then, at dawn, we’d go out to the Acropolis Diner for breakfast. Good times.

1 2 3 9