alpha males idiocy MRA oppressed men transphobia video

ABC’s “Work It”: Drag me to MRA hell

The programming executives at ABC have been secretly replaced by alien pod-people from planet MRA. That’s really the only logical explanation for “Work It,” an upcoming ABC sitcom whose premise seems to have been lifted straight from the comments section of The Spearhead. Here’s a description of the show from ABC:

With unemployment an ongoing issue and women now outnumbering men in the workforce, the new comedy series Work It follows two alpha males who realize the only way to beat the current “mancession” and land a job in pharmaceutical sales is to pass themselves off as women.

Yep, it’s a retread of Bosom Buddies, this time sprinkled with MRA buzzwords.  Alpha males, mancession – all we need is a few false rape accusations to complete the MRA-cliche soufflé.

Gawker has already hailed the show as an abomination that “Could Be the Worst Television Show in History.” After watching the promo clip below, I’m thinking that may be an understatement.

Of course, maybe I’m wrong. Maybe this isn’t an MRA show at all. Maybe it’s just a really inept and misguided attempt to explore the issues faced by trans women in the workplace.  But somehow I doubt it.

zhinxy

The funnest part is after this is cancelled as fast as Cavemen, the MRA can claim it’s a feminist conspiracy.

blitzgal

The most hilarious part about the premise of this show is that the industry that is so female dominated that these guys are required to dress as women just to get ahead is SALES. Are you fucking kidding me?! SALES!! Bwahahahahaha!!

Bethany Spencer (@vacuumslayer)

So there’s a POE working at ABC programming. Who knew?

shaenon

Yeah… the whole reason for the “mancession” is that traditionally male blue-collar jobs are getting shipped overseas, whereas America still needs nurses, teachers, secretaries and salesclerks–still the most common jobs for women. Women haven’t made huge inroads in most traditionally male industries, much less taken them over, as awesome as that would be.

Anyway, this show looks so awful I might have to watch it. You can gauge the queer-phobia of a show (or movie) like this by the lengths they go to make the drag completely unconvincing. Because if the guys look good, or even comfortable, as women, those gender binaries start to blur in scary ways.

lj4adotcomdan

I doubt the show is biased towards MRA. The only thing that came to mind when I saw the preview was “why the hell can’t they come up with original ideas in Hollywood anymore” because I immediately thought of Bosom Buddies.

Naira
Naira

What annoys me about shows like this is that they’re embarrassing to watch. Pretty much everyone needs to be brain dead in order for the premise to work. I always cringe FOR the people who are dumber than the proverbial box of rocks.

Kendra, the bionic mommy
Kendra, the bionic mommy

This show looks like it may be a bigger failure than Adam Sandler’s new movie Jack and Jill, which is quite a feat. Who gave the green light to this crap?

BlackBloc
BlackBloc

So I guess that guy finally succeeded at one of his sitcom show pitches.

Bee
Bee

Yep, it’s a retread of Bosom Buddies

I thought we all agreed we weren’t going to do that anymore.

Also, I know they have to write these things way in advance, but isn’t the mancession over?

God, and I thought Last Man Standing was the worst. Is ABC trying to win a prize?

hellkell
hellkell

Raymond
Raymond

The more they come up with junk like this, the more I want to just barf. They want to codify stupidity, misogyny, and sexism for the lowest common denominator in the society. The hopefully fringe group who see dressing up as a woman to get a job due to women taking all the men’s jobs fits their kind of thinking, MRAs to the rescue. Now they are producers of dumb TV shows. I have not watched any of the reality shows, not one. A kind of anti-intellectualism mindset has overtaken the country. I have heard on commercials about reality shows using sexist language(one reason I won’t watch them), Jersey Shore, is that the name of the Snokky show? is for dolts, dummies and idiots.
Thanx to this site for some sanity

Crumbelievable
Crumbelievable
Noadi

To be fair there are a handful of “reality” shows that are pretty good, Mythbusters and Dirty Jobs are considered reality shows, but most are horrifically bad. The thing is they are generally cheap to produce, they don’t require sets, have small film crews, few if any writers, etc. so if one doesn’t take off the network isn’t out much money.

This show though is a trainwreck of epic proportions, it’s a jumble of sexism (towards both women and men), homophobia, transphobia, and terrible writing and acting. All it needs is a dash of racism to make it complete.

Bethany Spencer (@vacuumslayer)

All it needs is a dash of racism to make it complete.

Don’t give them any ideas.

Kyrie
Kyrie

That’s season 2: they disguise as black women to have a chance to get a job.

Sharculese

good to know theyre including a healthy dose of fat shaming, too

Joanna

Eh… O_o

Bagelsan
Bagelsan

Oh Kyrie, you know you meant to write “to have a chance at all those sweet Cadillacs and welfare checks.” :p

Bagelsan
Bagelsan

To be honest, I’m not sure if this is pro-MRA so much as just “every single character is terrible” (except possibly the wife.) The men don’t really seem to be clever or even correct, what with the “sex slaves” line seeming to mock that kind of MRA thinking. Probably the idea is that the guys will learn to respect women more (by acting shallow and bitchy) and the women will learn to be more like guys (by eating sandwiches) and everyone will learn a Very Important Life Lesson punctuated by hilarious dick jokes and blah blah blah sexism is over.

Holly Pervocracy

I suspect the men who got hired by other men to produce this have never considered the irony.

Also, I hate the whole idea that a male-bodied person in female garb is the most hilarious thing ever. It’s transphobic and misogynistic and just plain sucks that for half the population to wear anything even vaguely coded “lady” isn’t a clothing choice but slapstick comedy.

ozymandias42

This isn’t even the fun-but-problematic kind of drag-queen comedy. There isn’t anything remotely fabulous about it. It’s just plain old problematic.

Anna Besmann
Anna Besmann

So…it’s like Tootsie, but really stupid and without the self-consciousness?

ozymandias42

Like Some Like It Hot. Some Like It Hot is a GREAT movie. Problematic, of course, but great.

No new crossdressing comedies unless they’re at least as funny as Some Like It Hot.

darksidecat
darksidecat

So true though *spoiler* Some Like it Hot, despite its age, actually doesn’t do the homophobic/transphobic bit where the guy who falls in love with the crossdressed guy is disgusted/shamed at the reveal, in Some Like it Hot, he accepts it and the issue of their relationship is left far more open. Also, the basic premise of the crossdressing is less sexist than this show or many other more recent comedies, the protagonists do it to hide from the law/the mob, not to gain “the advantages of women”. So, while it is not unproblematic, it is actually far less so than many newer films.

Video contains spoilers:

That’s actually a scene you don’t really see in more recent films, if anything, this genre has become more homophobic, transphobic, and sexist, not less.

Buttman
Buttman

I don’t see how men can even stand to watch the telly. It’s a non-stop propaganda of feminist and marxist smut. They used to stick to demeaning men in the commercials now they dedicate entire shows to making men look like asses. How is discrimination against men funny? That’s what passes for entertainment in this fucked up country.

Speaking of commercials, I saw one that was more sexist than anyone I’ve ever seen. It’s a commercial for PediaSure with a group of girls playing soccer. The soccer mom asks another mom if her son Tyler looks a little slow. Apparently, the only boy on the field turned into a big ball of grease.

zhinxy

Agreed with DSC. Roger Ebert claims that’s the greatest closing line in cinema, if I’m not mistaken…

zhinxy

There’s also, arguably, in the classic comedy of gender category – Victor/Victoria, (SPOILERS) and while the man who falls in love with Julie Andrew’s character is fairly sure she’s a real woman pretending to be a female impersonator, he flat out tells her with conviction that even if she’s a man, he still loves her.

Holly Pervocracy

That ending made me go awwwwww.

ozymandias42

If you can watch that scene without a GIANT GRIN plastered on your face I am convinced you are not human.

KathleenB
KathleenB

zhinxy: Victor/Victoria dealt with some heavy issues really, really well. It also had several great musical numbers (‘Le Jazz Hot’!) and was effing hilarious to boot. They don’t make them like they used to…

PosterformerlyknownasElizabeth

An actual real show showing the difficulties a trans woman (or man) face would make changing the laws easier to include transsexuals in anti-discrimination laws nationally here in the states.

Kyso K
Kyso K

I don’ t see how this could fail. After all, Bosom Buddies lasted two whole seasons despite being burdened with Tom Hanks. Also there’s no way the show’s premise didn’t age like a fine wine.

geewinner
geewinner

As I seem to remember, La Cage aux Folles (the french/italian film from 78) wasn’t horrible, though I can’t remember if it aged well or not.

Ullere
Ullere

@Crumbelievable

So from 2007-2010 men lost close to 10 million jobs(women also lost jobs but not as many) because the industries that employ most men were hit hardest, then in 2011 the industries that employ mostly men start to turn things around and men surpass women in new jobs gained in the year. Unemployment drops for both groups, however combined both are still lower than the number of males employed in 2007. The recession affected everyone, but when men lost the most jobs during it I don’t see why you (and others) disagree that the recession hit men the hardest.

Ullere
Ullere

As for the threads topic, I don’t watch any Television that isn’t on demand and I doubt I’ll be demanding to watch this. I can only guess it’s really easy to make money from network TV.

Raoul

@hellkell “People wonder why network TV is in the toilet, here’s there answer. It’s sad when shit like this gets made and projects that require slightly more attention span than that of your average gnat go begging.”

The proposition that “no one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public” has been common knowledge for so long that it is no longer checked against current reality. Especially not by people like TV programmers, whose careers depend on being cynically manipulative as much as on anything else.

Spearhafoc

Community is going on hiatus and yet they’re greenlighting this. Fantasmic.

Sharculese

i saw community for the first time last night and i was kind of unimpressed

but i don’t think i can evaluate that show objectively, because i went to high school with donald glover and i wish he was still doing the weird, poetic, artsy shit he did so well back then.

Spearhafoc

On the “men dressing up as women” front, I actually quite like Monty Python and Kids in the Hall.

Viscaria
Viscaria

…which to MRAs is basically worse than genocide.

You mean, it’s worse than refusing to have sex with short men? :O

I’m so sad about Community, that show made my life a better place. But it’s cool, I’ll just watch… Work It… now. Perfectly good replacement. Sniff.

darksidecat
darksidecat

Actually though, the fact that women and men are employed at similar rates and yet there are claims that men are unemployed more are a strong indicator of just how flawed traditional US methods of counting unemployment are. Women are every bit as likely to not have a job, and more likely to be under employed (not have full time work, and make less on average for the jobs they do have. So, considering that men are just as likely to have work, more likely to have full time work, and have higher income on average for that work, I fail to see how it is sensible to claim that they are worse of than women in terms of employment.

Sharculese

at least a show like this has a built-in shelf-life: there’s only so many times you can have them almost get caught but escape at the last minute before that particular tension loses its effectiveness, and without that, the show basically has nothing.

M Dubz
M Dubz

Man, I just wish that some comedy somewhere would feature a trans protagonist in a sensitive way. There’s movement towards it (I loved Athena/Alastair on Huge and I’ve heard good things about Ugly Betty) but we are SO not there yet.

Bee
Bee

I wonder what Peter Scolari’s up to. I see a HILARIOUS guest spot in his future, if the show makes it past episode 3 or so…

Ullere
Ullere

From the site that I was responding to http://money.cnn.com/2011/12/02/news/economy/men_women_jobs/index.htm Men are employed at about twice the rate of women. I haven’t looked for any other verification as this was the site crum linked.

I accept it cannot work both ways and that there was be many more women who aren’t in employment than men that aren’t counted as unemployed. The link that Crumbelievable provided mentions women not seeking employment, or leaving the job market as one of the factors for womens unemployment being lower than males.

It’s also not correct to list it as numbers as more men were employed prior to the recession than women, so even if they were proportionately affected more men would lose their jobs than women. However the link shows that a disproportionate number of men lost the jobs relative to women, this shows men were more affected by the recession than women.

Now you could argue that with the end of the recession and the male employment numbers shooting up far faster than female employment shows that the end of a recession disproportionately favours men, which I would agree with, although most of the regained jobs aren’t ‘new’ jobs as the link says, simply jobs that were previously lost in the sectors in the economy that have higher numbers of men in them.

Additionally you could argue that the higher numbers of men in the economy shows that men are disproportionately favoured in the work force.

However that men disproptionately lost jobs at a higher rate than women as a result of the recession is plainly shown by the link Crumbelievable gave, this shows that men were more affecting in terms of job losses by the recession.

‘I fail to see how it is sensible to claim that they are worse of than women in terms of employment.’

I don’t think anyone has made that point, I guess the numbers of work place accidents, deaths or indeed the later retirement age could be used to debate that point. But this is far removed from the impacts of the recession.

‘Women are every bit as likely to not have a job, and more likely to be under employed (not have full time work, and make less on average for the jobs they do have.’

Actually women are more likely to not have a job, according to the CNN link I was responding to anyway. The under employment thing goes hand in hand with being paid less on average, it’s pretty inaccurate to compare part time rates to full time. Some women also earn more to men relative to their occupation and their age group/social status, it’s not a black and white issue, it is however not connected to the impact of the recession.

Ullere
Ullere

Actually I apologise DarkSideCat, I just realised you may have been adressing the shows premise instead of the post I made about the Cnn link.

I quite liked this line from that review:

Imagine combining the two into the The Jack and Jill Centipede: a four-man, ass-to-mouth daisy chain of Adam Sandlers surgically attached to Adam Sandlers in drag.

I maintain that the definitive cross-dressing movie is and shall always be Glen or Glenda. It isn’t a proper movie without Bela Lugosi shouting at a herd of buffalo.

Pecunium