life before feminism misogyny music reactionary bullshit that's not funny! violence against men/women

Life Before Feminism: “It’s a shame to whip your wife on Sunday.”

I have a certain fondness for old-timey hillbilly music, the kind of stuff you can find on any number of great compilations on Yazoo records. But sometimes, alas, the lyrics to the songs reflect some old-timey bigotries that are much less charming than the music itself. Poking around on YouTube earlier today looking for the stuff I ran across this little ditty:

The lyrics:

Well, it’s a shame to whip your wife on Sunday.

Yes, it’s a shame to whip your wife on Sunday.

When you’ve got Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday,

Thursday, Friday, Saturday

It’s a shame to whip your wife on Sunday.

It’s a shame to get drunk on Sunday.

Yes, it’s a shame to get drunk on Sunday.

When you’ve got Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday,

Thursday, Friday, Saturday

It’s a shame to get drunk on Sunday.

Pity about the lyrics, because it’s got such a nice little banjo riff.

Cleanse your ears out with this song, a perky little number called “Hallelujah to the Lamb,” that I think would leave even Satan himself tapping his cloven hooves.

Snowy
Snowy

Well isn’t that… special.

Rutee Katreya

Well, bless his heart. He always was [i]such[/i] a card.

thebionicmommy
thebionicmommy

It’s so messed up that he sings about whipping his wife and then sings about fishing, playing cards, and drinking as if they’re all the same kind of activity.

BlackBloc
BlackBloc

@thebionicmommy: The only way this makes sense to me is if “whipping your wife” is an euphemism for sex.

Megalodon
Megalodon

I suppose you don’t like the song “Wee Cooper O’Fife”?

captainbathrobe

We mention God quite frequently during Thanksgiving: “God dammit when’s dinner going to be ready?” “Goddam, this is good food!” Etc.

Seraph
Seraph

I’m trying to understand it even from his perspective. If playing cards, getting drunk, whipping your wife, etc., are all sinful and shameful things that you shouldn’t do on a holy day, then where does fishing fit in? Is it the sloth? Are we dealing with a puritanical worldview where everything remotely pleasurable is automatically sinful?

Kyrie
Kyrie

BlackBloc: I vote for your explanation to be the official one.

Holly Pervocracy

Maybe it’s the earliest known instance of “edgy” humor?

“It’s a shame to whip your wife… ON SUNDAY! Gotcha!”

VoiP
VoiP

Early this mornin’
when you knocked upon my door
Early this mornin’, ooh
when you knocked upon my door
And I said, “Hello, Satan,”
I believe it’s time to go.”

Me and the Devil
was walkin’ side by side
Me and the Devil, ooh
was walkin’ side by side
And I’m goin’ to beat my woman
until I get satisfied

She say you don’t see why
that you will dog me ’round
spoken: Now, babe, you know you ain’t doin’ me
right, don’cha
She say you don’t see why, ooh
that you will dog me ’round
It must-a be that old evil spirit
so deep down in the ground

You may bury my body
down by the highway side
spoken: Baby, I don’t care where you bury my
body when I’m dead and gone
You may bury my body, ooh
down by the highway side
So my old evil spirit
can catch a Greyhound bus and ride

Robert Johnson, “Me and the Devil Blues.”

cynickal
cynickal

it’s got such a nice little banjo riff.

Unpossible.

thebionicmommy
thebionicmommy

Oh, that makes a big difference. Of all the euphemisms for sex, though, why that? He made it sound way worse than it really was.

Nicole
Nicole

Hah. I remember hearing a Nirvana cover of that song. I always thought it was meant to be pretty tongue in cheek.

David K. Meller

I don’t know what to say! One day out of seven–especially if it is the Sabbath–ain’t bad! There is still time to learn about the other six days, after which he will believe that it is ” a shame to beat your wife, or to get drunk”, seven days out of seven.

Like all civilization, improvement takes place slowly, if at all!

Enjoy the music!

Molly Ren

“He also forgot to say if his nearest and dearest wasn’t especially lovable and obedient on Sundays, hence nullifying his need either to get drunk, or to thrash her. Just a thought.”

You know human beings as a whole get grumpy, snarly, and angry sometimes, right? Not just men?

Shora

Yes. Yes it is.

The next time you have a thought… Let it go.

Sharculese

this response assumes dkm considers women to be human. you know this isnt true.

David K. Meller

Androgynous, man-hating, opinionated and over-educated modern feminists, on the other hand, given that men (except for saints, perhaps) have our flaws, moral and otherwise, may provoke what neither they nor the men that they are with, want, and the unhappy result is a visit to the ER for her, and to jail for him, and nobody wins!

zhinxy

Even for you, Meller, what was the point of that post other than to excuse domestic violence?

zhinxy

WOMEN are certainly human! “Modern women” and feminists, I am not so sure about! Women can have many human, indeed lovable qualities, and nobody in his right mind would want to beat them, on Sunday or any other day.”

So by the time this song was current, Modern Women had already taken over?

P.S. – Did I just fail to happify my husband enough when he knocked my tooth out?

KathleenB
KathleenB

Meller: But it’s totally and always wrong to hit, isn’t it? That’s what you keep saying, but you always seem to find exceptions.

David K. Meller

I certainly did NOT :”excuse” domestic violence. Read the final sentence: “She goes to the ER, he goes to jail, and nobody wins!”

Molly Ren

Don’t ask DKM stuff like that, zhinxy. His answer will always be “Yes”.

KathleenB
KathleenB

Meller: So it’s wrong to hit someone unless they provoke you? This seems to be the takeaway from you posts – don’t hit your wife, unless she’s mouthy, then go ahead.

Molly Ren

“Domestic violence is a foul and tragic phenomenon which cannot end soon enough. However, denying the possibility, if not likelihood, that women could do A LOT more to prevent what they supposedly don’t want anyway–I am sidestepping the ‘good fight before a good night’ type of couple where what we call DV may well be consensual with both partners–is simply good sense!”

Fuck you and your complete misunderstanding of BDSM, DKM.

Bagelsan
Bagelsan

If it wasn’t Sunday then yes, totally your fault. On Sundays it’s 50:50 ’cause blaming men all the way is unfair.

David K. Meller

KathleenB–That is correct as far as I know, but I can’t speak for everyone. There are probably women (and perhaps men as well) who are “turned on” by such behavior, and they would disagree with you (and me).

KathleenB
KathleenB

Meller: What’s correct? That it’s wrong to hit your spouse? Or that it’s wrong to hit your spouse unless they’re mouthy? Or uppity? Or, you know, have opinions that aren’t exactly the same as yours?

Bagelsan
Bagelsan

For example, lock all men up permanently just to be safe, or maybe just encase the guy in frozen carbonite the first time he lays a hand on anyone. Those would be “a LOT more” but I’m surprised you’re advocating that sort of thing, DKM.

…I’m just kidding, of course. Everyone knows we would never do that, because women secretly do want to get the crap kicked out of them on the regular by the man they love. LOL. You totally guessed our secret, DKM!

Molly Ren–December 1 2011 @2:12pm

Not so, Molly Ren! Many, even most, people, if they are not this way themselves, have known at least one couple (not necessarily involved in BDSM, by the way) who seem to be at their happiest fighting with each other. Even if this rarely escalates to physical, much less deadly, confrontation, it,like any intense emotions, especially when booze or dope (and weapons) are involved,will spiral out of control tragically for everyone!

Bagelsan
Bagelsan

I’m mean, let’s be honest: if women didn’t wanna get beat, why’d we decide to be born as corporeal beings with internal skeletons and hittable surfaces? Women are clearly asking for it! (Ditto with rape and harassment: if we didn’t want to attract male attention we would have been clever enough not to have bodies.)

Molly Ren

Shorter DKM: Women basically WANT to be hit! Unless they’re too dumb to not know their man, in which case a few smacks will teach them!

zhinxy

-Why the supposedly, Meller? Since you said you were SIDESTEPPING the couple that gets off on it. What’s supposed?

Bagelsan
Bagelsan

Yes, I, too, begin all my verbal arguments with people by getting coked up and buying a gun. It made debates at the family dinner table pretty whacky! In fact, I do this before every scenario in which I plan to feel an intense emotion. Invited to a friend’s wedding and plan to cry with happiness? Jack Daniel’s in the pocket of my bridesmaid’s dress, nunchucks in my clutch. And it’s a good thing the ticket guy confiscated my uzi and meth when I went to see Up because I bawled like a baby at that movie and the only resolution to that strong emotion obviously woulda been a violent rampage. Doesn’t everyone do this?

hellkell
hellkell

Way to defend abuse, Mellertoad.

zhinxy

“Jack Daniel’s in the pocket of my bridesmaid’s dress, nunchucks in my clutch.”

That’s like, the title of the greatest country music song of all time…

thebionicmommy
thebionicmommy

DKM, you don’t have a clue. I know the MRM denies this, but there are some people out there who will abuse zir partner for almost any reason, no matter how trivial. I don’t care how mouthy someone is. It doesn’t give zir partner an excuse to hit zir. If someone is mad enough to physically assault zir partner, then zie is the one with a problem and zie should leave the situation.

BTW, Zhinxy, I am sorry for what you went through. That is terrible.

Holly Pervocracy

DKM, I do really like to get hit. So you can use me as an example of a woman who does, in fact, ask for it.

When I want to get hit, I say “would you please hit me?” Any time that I am not saying this, I do not want to get hit.

If I disagree with my boyfriend, but do not say “would you please hit me?” then I do not want to be hit. I just want to discuss whatever we disagree with. If he were unclear on this–if he hit me because he thought maybe I secretly want to get hit–he would hopefully not be my boyfriend much longer.

This system has worked out very well for me, a modern feminist woman (?).

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

“Domestic violence is a foul and tragic phenomenon which cannot end soon enough. However, denying the possibility, if not likelihood, that women could do A LOT more to prevent what they supposedly don’t want anyway–I am sidestepping the ‘good fight before a good night’ type of couple where what we call DV may well be consensual with both partners–is simply good sense! Wives or ladyloves KNOW what their men like and don’t like, and too often respond in just the way to provoke the response. No surprises, I hope.”

You are a vile, pathetic excuse for a man, Meller. Does it give you some sort of sexual satisfaction, spouting off this stuff about how woman make men abuse them? I hope you’re getting some sort of satisfaction out of it,k because it certainly does make you look like a fool.

BTW, I think your sense of reality is slipping a little more every day, since you’re now using the same word that you use to refer to your dolls (ladyloves) to refer to actual women. Do you get drunk and yell at your dolls, then throw them across the room, then apologize but point out that they shouldn’t have made you mad, Meller?

Like I said – you’re pathetic.

red_locker

DKM, the gymnastics you pull off would make you a Twister Champion.

David K. Meller

I would NEVER hurt my little lady lovelies, and feel no need to get drunk or intoxicated around them! I celebrate gentleness, love, and patience in all relationships with women, both in and out of bed, and I wish them the best in their relationship.

I regard DV and rape with the same horror as youall do, and I thought that several of my communications above would have shown that. The only reason, in fact, that I am with dolls and fluffies right now, is because, as even a glance at some of these posts show, you modern women are too quarrelsome and opinionated to be borne. I don’t have to tell you what I would expect a man to do to you if youall were to him the way you manboobzeresses sound to me here! I would still regard your beating as reprehensible and barbaric, to say the least, but it would be VERY HARD to fault your mate or lover entirely! I don’t know how i would even vote if he would be on trial and I was on a jury, but a case for conviction would, given your attitudes of arrogant, berating, and callous hostility and self-righteousness, would NOT be airtight, and I wouldn’t be the only juryman to think so!

You’re the pathetic one, along with your sisterhood from hell, CassandraSays! You don’t even see an ally when he comes up to you and all but bites you on the nose! I also want an end to DV and rape (sex harassment is just too vague to have an opinion about), and all I do is point out the commonplace observation that a “stich in time, saves nine”. If you eliminate the CAUSES in the beginning, you eliminate the CONSEQUENCES later on.

Even a fluffybrained woman ought to see that! Pathetic one!

zhinxy

thebionicmommy – Thankyou. it’s over and it’s a healing process, that’s all to say, really!

Wolfboy

Entirely tangentially, I’d just like to point out (as the person who quoted Robert Johnson above did) that misogyny and domestic violence are pretty strong continuing themes in a bunch of folk (including blues as part of “folk”) canons. That’s what happens when you preserve really old songs – you get old views preserved along with them.

My personal favourite for marrying beautiful harmony to utterly unacceptable sentiment is this gem which contains the lines:
“And if my wife should me despise
How soon I’d give her two black eyes
For if she loved me as I love thee
What a happy couple we should be

Oh good ale, thou art my darling
Thou art my joy both night and morning”

ozymandias42

See, here’s the thing. Sometimes people do things I don’t like! Like, sometimes my partners let the trash build up until it is the Leaning Tower of Trash-Pisa. However, there are things I am allowed and not allowed to do. I am allowed to complain loudly! I am allowed to create a chore chart! I am allowed to perform an interpretive dance about the necessity of taking the trash out! I am allowed to take the trash out my own damn self!

However, I am not allowed to hit people because they won’t do what I want, even if they are clearly in the wrong here. That is because we are all adults and adults do not hit.

zhinxy

The only reason, in fact, that I am with dolls and fluffies right now, is because, as even a glance at some of these posts show, you modern women are too quarrelsome and opinionated to be borne. I don’t have to tell you what I would expect a man to do to you if youall were to him the way you manboobzeresses sound to me here! I would still regard your beating as reprehensible and barbaric, to say the least, but it would be VERY HARD to fault your mate or lover entirely! I don’t know how i would even vote if he would be on trial and I was on a jury, but a case for conviction would, given your attitudes of arrogant, berating, and callous hostility and self-righteousness, would NOT be airtight, and I wouldn’t be the only juryman to think so!”

So, my abuse was reprehensible and barbaric, but as a vile modern woman, I must have provoked it? Ah. Well, as for the Jury… Like many a victim, there was no arrest, no report, no trial. I just managed to get out. Shocking to those who see women as itching to put men behind bars.

Just years of trying harder and harder not to “provoke” the abuser, blaming myself when I did, and then realizing the rules were changing around me all the time. True of a million others. Not a special story. Are you of the opinion most people abused by their partners do NOT rationalize they provoke their treatment?

“You’re the pathetic one, along with your sisterhood from hell, CassandraSays! You don’t even see an ally when he comes up to you and all but bites you on the nose! ”

As a battered woman, I don’t think you’re acting like an ally. At all.

Bee
Bee

Ah, Mellerworld. Where allies of DV victims bite DV victims’ noses. Gotcha.

Also: Superduperglad that Meller isn’t partnered. At least not with a human (or a modern woman, if you’re the type who wants to make that distinction). Yay for humanity! People who can’t comprehend how to reasonably interact with other people really shouldn’t be around them.

hellkell
hellkell

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Meller, you really see yourself as an ally? Tell me another one.

darksidecat

Your statemetns above showed the exact opposite, Meller. If I gave your opinion any weight, the idea that the rest of us here have views about DV and rape as shitty as yours would be offensive.

David K. Meller

I was speaking figuratiively about “biting them on the nose!”. I interact with human beings, even human females, quite reasonably, thank you. There is a lot in what I say here which could be used as a support for nonviolence in domestic relations, if you would surmount your bitterness and appreciate it.

hellkell
hellkell

HAHAHAHAHHA. You ARE on a roll today.

I’m sure by surmounting bitterness and appreciating you, you mean we should turn ourselves into dolls. No thanks.