life before feminism misogyny music reactionary bullshit that's not funny! violence against men/women

Life Before Feminism: “It’s a shame to whip your wife on Sunday.”

I have a certain fondness for old-timey hillbilly music, the kind of stuff you can find on any number of great compilations on Yazoo records. But sometimes, alas, the lyrics to the songs reflect some old-timey bigotries that are much less charming than the music itself. Poking around on YouTube earlier today looking for the stuff I ran across this little ditty:

The lyrics:

Well, it’s a shame to whip your wife on Sunday.

Yes, it’s a shame to whip your wife on Sunday.

When you’ve got Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday,

Thursday, Friday, Saturday

It’s a shame to whip your wife on Sunday.

It’s a shame to get drunk on Sunday.

Yes, it’s a shame to get drunk on Sunday.

When you’ve got Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday,

Thursday, Friday, Saturday

It’s a shame to get drunk on Sunday.

Pity about the lyrics, because it’s got such a nice little banjo riff.

Cleanse your ears out with this song, a perky little number called “Hallelujah to the Lamb,” that I think would leave even Satan himself tapping his cloven hooves.

Sharculese

reminder that in the thread about the girl who reddit didn’t believe even after she posted pictures of her facial abrasions, meller got put in time out for saying he had no choice but to disbelieve anything she said because her history of having worn make-up meant she want inherently deceptive.

hellkell
hellkell

He’s also been in Time Out Corner after his lovely response to Itiliana when he said her student that was killed by her ex MUST have done something to deserve it.

Such an ally!

Shora

I have no problem surmounting bitterness, Meller. Surmounting my right to be a thinking, feeling human being, on the other hand…..

Bagelsan
Bagelsan

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Meller, you really see yourself as an ally? Tell me another one.

No, no, he just typo’d the word alley — ie. he is claiming to be a sketchy dim tube full of garbage and human feces that cheerfully enables crimes to be committed in his vicinity. So perfectly accurate, in fact.

CassandraSays

You are no ally to me, Meller. In your dream world I’d either be dead or forced into working in a brothel (I wasn’t a virgin when I got married, after all).

” I celebrate gentleness, love, and patience in all relationships with women, both in and out of bed, and I wish them the best in their relationship.”

You don’t, you know. You may tell yourself lies and believe them, but in fact you constantly celebrate the idea of hurting women who you think deserve to be hurt.

” I don’t have to tell you what I would expect a man to do to you if youall were to him the way you manboobzeresses sound to me here! I would still regard your beating as reprehensible and barbaric, to say the least, but it would be VERY HARD to fault your mate or lover entirely! I don’t know how i would even vote if he would be on trial and I was on a jury, but a case for conviction would, given your attitudes of arrogant, berating, and callous hostility and self-righteousness, would NOT be airtight, and I wouldn’t be the only juryman to think so!”

See what I mean? A person who actually celebrated gentleness, love, and patience would never have written that.

You’re a monster, Meller.

Broseidon
Broseidon

If you’re talking about the thread I think you’re talking about, she showed a picture of that wound after having established that she was skilled at doing special FX makeup. Cue the feminists and butthurt white knights descending like a pack of howling jackals upon anyone who even dared to bring up this point. Apparently women should always be believed without question. Remember, kids: everything a female says is true, and if you question this or ask for proof, you’re a hateful misogynist!

Sharculese

oh look its the desperate bleat of the unclever man, writing off anyone who dares to point out that his anger and kneejerk hostility are uncalled for is ‘butthurt’ because he doesn’t know any adult words.

i’ll take your sadsack defense under consideration.

Holly Pervocracy

Bro, I know you bothered to type out a comment there, but today I decided not to just believe anything a male says, so I didn’t see it.

Sorry. Maybe try typing louder?

This must be very frustrating for you.

Holly Pervocracy

Also, are we seriously having a referendum on “Do men ever hit women?” Seriously? Is that what we’re now tasked with proving?

Come the fuck on.

Sharculese

@CassandraSays

it goes beyond that. he finds great joy in imagining all the ways women he doesnt find sufficiently feminine are going to be ‘punished’ through childlessness or breast cancer or gruesome airplane crashes.

CassandraSays

Remember, kids – Broseidon has nothing of any value to add to this or any other discussion, so feel free to just skim his comment for amusing quotes to extract for the purpose of mocking him among yourselves.

CassandraSays

Meller is to love and gentleness as the institution of slavery was to freedom and justice.

Oh, wait, he’s in favor of that too.

Broseidon
Broseidon

That might’ve worked better if you didn’t actually answer the comment you “didn’t see”. 😛

Ok, so when’s the actual mocking gonna start? So far you’re doing a cute impression of a six-year old going “na na na you’re a dumb head” but I was hoping for more.

Holly Pervocracy

What do you want us to prove, Bro? That men ever hit women? That it isn’t just an urban legend?

(You should really get your misogyny straight with DKM, who claims that men do hit women, but they’re justified. Serious differences in your interpretations, Bro!)

Maybe next we could spend some of our time and effort proving to you that bananas exist, or that rabbits generally have ears.

Sharculese

but broseidon, you are a dumb head. it’s the best possible word to describe you. your head is full of dumb little chattering half-thoughts and percolating resentments. it’s like the most notable thing about your posts.

Sharculese

case in point- you call yourself broseidon, like that joke didnt go stale years ago.

CassandraSays

Actually the word I’d use for Broseidon is boring. I don’t come to this site to be bored, therefore his comments are of no use to me.

Broseidon
Broseidon

I’m sorry, is someone named Sharculese commenting on my nick? And hey, I know I’m not as deep (read: pompous, pretentious and wordy) as the regulars here, but it suits me fine. In fact, lately I’ve been having a hell of a time skimming through the other thread – the one where no trolls showed up, so you all turned on each other. It’s really quite a spectacle, almost as if anger and conflict are all you know. You really are a sad fucking bunch, which is why you’re fun to troll. Laterz 🙂

Sharculese

my name isnt a joke thats been tossed around by the bottom-feeders of internet comedy for years now. of course, you knew that, you just didnt have an actual retort.

CassandraSays

Well, he’s right about one thing – I certainly wouldn’t call him “deep”.

Sharculese

it is always adorable when someone uses ‘you know a lot of words’ as an insult.

Caraz
Caraz

“lately I’ve been having a hell of a time skimming through the other thread – the one where no trolls showed up, so you all turned on each other.”

See I’m glad you brought this up, because I’ve been meaning to go on a rant about this little unwinnable situation.

If feminists* agree with each other, they get accused of being an echo chamber or a hive mind. If feminists disagree with each other they get accused of turning on their own and being hostile. Fuck that shit and fuck you for trying it on.

*I’ve seen the same no-win situation forced onto atheists so it’s not exclusively a feminist thing.

CassandraSays

Actually I’d say that the fact that MRAs usually refuse to disagree with each other is far more of a flaw than lots of arguing.

VoiP
VoiP

I’d just like to point out (as the person who quoted Robert Johnson above did) that misogyny and domestic violence are pretty strong continuing themes in a bunch of folk (including blues as part of “folk”) canons.

But the interesting thing about the Robert Johnson song (that was me; hi) is how self-conscious it is: in attributing his desire to commit DV to demonic influence, the speaker implies that he knows that this isn’t the right way to behave.

I find the same sort of knowing darkness in a lot of Johnson’s songs, as opposed to a song like this, which takes a much more “naive” standpoint:

Wish I was a mole in the ground
Wish I was a mole in the ground
Mole in the ground, I’d root that mountain down
Wish I was a mole in the ground

Wish I was a lizard in the spring
Wish I was a lizard in the spring
A lizard in the spring, I’d hear my true love sing
If I was a mole in the ground

Don’t marry a railroad man
Don’t marry a railroad man
A railroad man gonna kill you if he can
And drink up your blood like wine

Baby wants a nine dollar shawl
Baby wants a nine dollar shawl
When I come around the hill with my twenty dollar bill
She says honey where you been so long

Now, baby where you been so long
Honey where you been so long
Said I been to Caroline to see that gal of mine
That’s where I been so long

I said, honey where’d you stay last night
Baby where’d you stay last night
Said I stayed around the bend
With some rough and rowdy men
And now I’m goin back again

The third verse takes violence absolutely for granted in a way that Johnson’s “artier” song doesn’t. I know Johnson wrote a lot of the songs he sang, but I don’t know whether or not he wrote “Me and the Devil Blues.” It wouldn’t surprise me, though, since it’s so much more introspective than a lot of folk music.

VoiP
VoiP

Remember when DKM and Brandon were posting in the same thread, each advocating ideal worlds that the other completely disagreed with, yet they never acknowledged each other? Yeah, that is a sign of some robust discourse right there.

Viscaria
Viscaria

You don’t even see an ally when he comes up to you and all but bites you on the nose!

Meller owes me a new cute cream cableknit, this one is covered with orange juice. “Ally?”

News flash: domestic violence happened in whatever your ideal era was, too (some sort of magical 1950-meets-1830 type of situation?) Victims just didn’t have the same chances to speak out.

Zhinxy, I’m so sorry you had to experience that. I applaud your bravery in mentioning it in a space where idiots are free to tell you that you either deserved it, or it didn’t happen at all.

hellkell
hellkell

Quoted for truth.

Note that none of our usual trolls had the stones to step in that thread.

VoiP
VoiP

MRAL did, right before it got shut down. Total vapidity, as usual.

Danny D
Danny D

This song is really a progressive Christian song of the 1920’s criticizing people who were willing to suspend sinning (whipping your wife, drinking, gambling, etc) on Sundays but would be “Godless” the rest of the week.

This song is certainly not an anti-feminist song. If anything, it was even more progressive than the people knew it was. The problem with Christians and others exists today – people do not practice what they preach and this song is pure satire.

The days before feminism… this is unfair and misrepresentation of the song.

Rach
Rach

I think his mistake was that he made the video without “explaining in detail”, what the song was about. The song is about religious hypocrites, people who sin Monday-Saturday and then think that because they go to church on Sunday they are without fault.

If you study history in particular, 1800’s-1900’s ….alcohol was very much the work of the devil, people thought, because of this alcohol was looked down upon, a sinners drink, so to have a song that has domestic violence paired with alcohol, isn’t in any way linking the two as if they were to go hand-in-hand but rather to say that whipping a wife is extremely bad.

Basically, the song is literally calling out the man on his own hypocrisy “Why stop whipping your wife on a Sunday to hide the fact that you’re a wife-beater?, The song was meant to embarrass, and to make men feel guilty for lack of accountability”

The other thing is there is a lot of bluegrass, blues, and folk songs that depict horrible stories,you have to understand that back in those days…..songs were a way for slaves to carry down oral history, many couldn’t read, many couldn’t write, and to record the grief of those times, it was done by word of mouth, passed down from one generation to the next.

D P
D P

I find your take on the song interesting. Because you are almost certainly missing the point. First of all the song is not chauvinistic at all. His line about whipping your wife on Sunday is like the other verses in that he is pointing out undesirable behaviors. Other verses talk about playing cards, getting drunk, and in the case of fishing… I guess at that time in history, people thought it more desirable to be in church on “the Sabbath”.

The intent of this song was to be “tongue in cheek”. The writer is actually poking fun at people who were “Sunday Only Christians”. Meaning the person who is righteous on Sunday, but sins the rest of the week. In other words it’s not OK to sin on Sunday, but the rest of the week it’s perfectly fine.

Once you understand the satire of the song, you realize it was fairly groundbreaking. Which is why a lot of modern artist still perform it today. I would be careful to categorize this as biggotry. It’s nothing of the sort.