antifeminism MRA threats violence against men/women

Does the National Coalition For Men think violence against elected officials is a joke?

The National Coalition For Men – formerly the National Coalition of Free Men – describes itself as “the oldest Men’s Rights organization in North America.” It has been around, in some form or another, since 1977. The group has a board of advisors, which includes academics and mental health professionals and bestselling author Warren Farrell. It has a number of local chapters. Its website is professional-looking; they even have an elegant little logo.

The group appears, at first glance, to be a real and reasonable advocacy group.

But it doesn’t take long to find evidence that the group is infected with the same hateful extremism that is endemic in  the Men’s Rights movement.

Take this bizarre and creepy image – and its equally bizarre and creepy caption – that I found illustrating a recent press release about Senator Patrick Leahy and the Violence Against Women Act.

From the National Coalition For Men website.

As far as I can figure it, the Joker is supposed to represent Leahy’s supposed feminist puppetmasters; regardless, it is a jarring image depicting violence against an elected official as somehow humorous.

The article (picture and all) has gotten 14 Facebook “likes” and no comments; evidently none of the MRAs reading the article were bothered enough by the illustration to publicly challenge it.

How exactly does posting  a picture of the Joker threatening an elected official with a knife advance the cause of Men’s Rights?

Do the group’s advisors — including Warren Farrell and well-known domestic violence researcher Martin Fiebert — know that the group’s website features this repugnant image? Do they care?

I would encourage readers here to investigate the NCFM site in more detail. I wonder what other evidence of hate might be found. (If you do find more, please make screenshots, and post what you find in the comments below, with a link to the page on NCFM’s website.)

EDITED: I originally referred to the images as photoshopped, but evidently it’s from The Dark Knight. Oops. Corrected.

Quackers
Quackers

@Cynickal

Haha…I’m not gonna lie, I wanna see Resident Evil Apocalypse now. Sometimes you just need a good mindless movie with ‘splosions.

LyssatakeaBow
LyssatakeaBow

I hate to hold Miley (or anyone else) to too high a standard of “okay, you can dance next to a pole, but if you spin around it then the MRAs have a point and you really are a foxy little minx.” Because some teenagers do act in sexualized ways.

yup…and all the reasons you listed too, yup. i do think Miley Cyrus’ “people” or whatever could have suggested she not dance on a pole or whatever and also I think young women/teenagers could use more examples of how to emerge into adult-hood in non sexual ways. All this though, no excuse for the pervs and pedophiles and also I assume they blame feminism for this and I assure you it’s not feminists insisting Miley Cyrus and the like get half naked dancing on poles but since we don’t say “shame on you!” for it I guess they blame feminists?

cynickal
cynickal

@Quackers, yeah, sometimes you just need to turn your brain off and enjoy fresh popcorn. 😀

darksidecat

It makes me shudder when I realize that NWO doesn’t object to rape of boys because it is child molestation or pedophilia, but only because he thinks it is queer. The child molesting bit doesn’t bother him, probably due to the fact that he is a creepy pedo himself.

captainbathrobe

Actually, I believe Sponge Bob wears a shirt.

Holly Pervocracy

I never noticed that before! He does have a little white shirt and tie over his pants. But it’s sort of a low-placed narrow shirt-belt and then 75% of his body is still exposed but all of that body is apparently face. Face with arms connected to it. And shirtsleeves on his shoulders but the sleeves aren’t connected to anything.

…I should not have thought about this.

Dracula
Dracula

I have noticed when SpongeBob gets undressed, which happens somewhat frequently, his shirt, tie and pants come off as a single unit.

Captain Bathrobe
Captain Bathrobe

I would totally still tap that Sponge, though.

ozymandias42

What I love is that on one hand “sex sells,” but on the other hand if you are sexy you’re a slutty temptress who is just asking for sex from middle-aged milking-machine repairmen and/or promoting BAD VALUES for OUR CHILDREN. It’s a no-win situation: if you aren’t sexual, you’re UnWoman, but if you are, you’re a slutty slutty slut slut who deserves whatever you get.

I mean, the horrors of pole adjacency aside…

zhinxy

Sorka: Off topic, but just to let you know that Chateau Heartiste has decided that “Women are less principled than men”.

Most of the “evidence” for this is taken from his own previous blog posts, since, as, he notes “…to date, little science has been done to examine the evidence for the Chateau and common man wisdom that men and women hold different moral values’.

And it of course ends with the typical Roissy/Heartiste and other “brave mra” assertion that these indisputable facts will make us RAGE, our blood BOILING, spittle flying from our unfeminine mouths as we stutter in the face of unassailable TRUTH!…

Instead of “Oh, Roissy’s being silly again.”

zhinxy

Oh, now the comments to that Roissy article are full of denial that slave rape was nearly the problem silly liberals and the “grievance industry” make it out to be, cause would a rich white dude sleep with an ugly black slave? Come on!

Quackers
Quackers

Haha zhinxy, check this out from his recent post:

Lol…some study “confirmed” his POV and he thinks we’re all suffering about it? hardly.

Isn’t it funny how after each study he posts he interprets it as proving something negative towards women or endorsing our inferiority? His blog is so typical of the nature/nurture debate. His worldview is that everything we do is driven by biology and evo psych. Its pointless because any intelligent person knows human behavior is influenced by both biological traits and how we are socialized. So a study might claim that older women generally don’t get as much attention as younger women which is probably true. What he fails to realize though is that there are still plenty of examples of older women still dating or marrying late. There are also many women like me who don’t find men more attractive as they age and prefer men their own age. I also wonder about the levels in these preferences? one woman might prefer the appearance of an older man with, but prefer a more “beta” personality. I don’t understand why people like him insist on forcing everyone to fit a certain “type” which are often false dichotomies. Virgin/Whore Alpha/Beta Dominant/Submissive.

Its also no skin off my back that he wants to keep peddling the notion that the best men ie the “alphas” are nothing but domineering looks-obsessed brutes who desire submissive women. If anything it just makes him look bad.

zhinxy

“I can just hear the wailing and see the rending of garments of all the anti-game haters and feminists reading this study. May your suffering burden you this holiday season with the cursed tidings of a full-blown mental breakdown!”

I love that “anti-game haters” is a category like feminists. And of course we RAAAYGE WE SCREAM, I PRETEND I’M LAUGHING AT HIS SAD ROISSY ASS, BUT REALLY OH MY ANGERRRR!

And more of the blah blah blah women are naturally collectivist welfare-staters who will bankrupt us all while men are hard ass economic conservatives BY NATURE crap. And really, if you can stomach it, do check out that discussion of how slave rape must be overblown by the “grievance industry”

zhinxy

The really fascinating thing about Roissy is how fiercely some of his fans defend him. I’ve seen obviously fake claims of swedish model girlfriends gotten by devotion to Roissy’s method – And the point is, they are MAKING UP success with the ladies to defend their hero! It’s fun stuff.

Holly Pervocracy

Sometimes Roissy does make me angry, it’s true. This does not mean he must be right. Kind of the opposite actually.

zhinxy

So you admit he’s right according to Roissylogic! ahah!

Your sporkings of Roissy were some of my favoritest things on your blog, btw.

Quackers
Quackers

I’m pretty sure he is psychopath. An actual psychopath, not psychopath used as an insult. It is very evident in his writing.

Quackers
Quackers

I once saw him link to an article on a relationship website with a layout like cosmo, as “proof” of game lol.

Everytime I’ve read his blog I feel like I’m looking into the lives of people on another planet. No one I know who are in LTRs behave in the way he describes male/female dynamics. I don’t know any men as douche-y as him either (thankfully) I’m convinced these people must all be part of the club/bar scene.

10G
10G

Ugh…sorry I’m late to the party, y’all…..should I bother to explain prison rape culture to Slavey, or should I tell him to just go milk a turtle?

At any rate, Milkslave, NO FEMINIST condones rape of ANYONE. Prison rape culture is a whole different kettle of fish (and for the record, if Jerry Sandusky DOES make it to prison, I seriously doubt that he will even survive long enough to BE sexually assaulted. Criminal Justice degree here talking).

And for the record, I would SO be willing to take up a collection to send Sandusky and his ilk to another galaxy and LEAVE his horrible ass there. Monster.

ozymandias42

I love that roissy article, because even if you take his premises as given, his conclusions don’t follow. You can’t look at data that says women are more generous, prone to reciporcal acts of kindness and empathetic, and less likely to take pleasure in revenge, and conclude this means that women are somehow unethical.

Quackers
Quackers

Ozy,

I consider gender inequality and forcing people into certain roles and taking away their right to vote unethical. Roissy doesn’t. Seems like he’s projecting.

ozymandias42

I think we can collectively agree that Roissy is unethical. And abusive. And a rapist.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

There’s something particularly funny about the fact that the imaginary girlfriends some PUAs are inventing are supposed to be from evil, feminist-loving, socialism ridden, destroeyer of Saint Julian of Assange Sweden.

thebionicmommy
thebionicmommy

David, that site really chokes me up. It’s one thing to look at DV statistics, but seeing the pictures of the victims, reading about their lives, makes it so much more real.

cynickal
cynickal

Resident Evil Apocalypse was in the desert with the killer crows, right?

Did anyone figure out how a helicopter was going to have enough fuel to fly from Vegas to Alaska?

SaruGoku
SaruGoku

Zhinxy:

I really can’t see how he comes to the “evil wimminz must be controlled” or their empathy and compassion will ruin everything” conclusion. I don’t agree with the New Scientist article he draws on because it all looks a bit stereotypical to me, but even if it was true I can’t see why the “female” characteristics he talks about would ever be a bad thing. His sources don’t make value judgements about “masculine” and “feminine” virtues anyway and yet he goes on this rant about how feelings, emotions, compassion and mercy are reallyreally bad things that should be suppressed and/or ignored. It doesn’t do justice to either his sources or his intellect.

It really makes no sense at all.

Molly Ren

@10G: I am totally derailing to say that I’m adding “go milk a turtle” to my list of non-gendered insults. 😀

SaruGoku
SaruGoku

Sorry, his source was Psychology today, not New Scientist.

zhinxy

Sorry, his source was Psychology today, not New Scientist.

Oh, Psychology today. When will you realize the sort of people you are encouraging with your looking kinda like a respectable magazine! Go in the corner and think about it, Psychology today…

Dracula
Dracula

I suspect Psychology Today knows damn well what sort of people they’re encouraging.

Erl
Erl

To clarify, I wouldn’t care if she were actually pole dancing. It’s just that I’ve never seen the video before and I can’t believe that so much outraged got sparked because she stood next to a pole and sang.

QFT. I’m just amazed that this constitutes or led to outrage. Hell, she was bobbing up and down on a moving cart; the pole looked more like a safety feature to me than anything else.

Bagelsan
Bagelsan

With all the outrage over pole-proximity I kinda wish I knew any Polish jokes. :p

Magpie
Magpie

They are assuming a teenager has complete control over all aspects of production, presentation, costume, choreography, camera angles, marketing, etc.

Magpie
Magpie

Moar kitties!

Dracula
Dracula

What the hell was on that branch? Looked like the cat thought it was delicious.

zhinxy

I was my teenage best friend’s Confirmation sponsor. After the mass we got drunk and poledanced on a neighborhood stop sign. Mostly clothed.

My point is Miley Cyrus isn’t even Catholic.

Magpie
Magpie

I think it might be called red vine, or something? I’ve only ever seen it on a Maru the box cat video

Magpie
Magpie

Catholics have all the fun!

SaruGoku
SaruGoku

Zhinxy,

Looking at some of it’s recent articles I’d say you were right about that.

zhinxy

EvoPsych today is a scary place.

SaruGoku
SaruGoku

Dracula,

Catnip?

Ami Angelwings

ozymandias42 | November 17, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Actually you can… me and Zhinxy have noticed this in some of the MRAs (and a particular comic anti-feminist troll in our past) which is that “pure” emotions are ones that are selfish and about “animal pleasure”… like lust! That’s pure… it’s understandable, and it’s sad that society tries to control it… but a lot of the “men are like this, women are like that” types seem to act as if pure physical attraction makes sense, but any other kinds of attraction are weird and unnatural… I think this is the same way for Roissy… women are more unethical b/c being generous, and empathetic and kind is some weird inhuman, unnatural, anti-instinctive thing that isn’t clear-cut, direct and honest, so therefore it makes us unethical.

Magpie
Magpie

What does Roissy think about parent-child love?

Ami Angelwings

Uh oh, AVfM is apparently lumped in w/ feminists now XD

Can you imagine a Venn diagram that includes both me and Elam? xD

I wouldn’t be even there if you it was “humans” because I’m a Cybertronian angel Kryptonian cat bunny (I added an extra strand of DNA recently) or “alive things” cuz I dunno how alive I am according to some of our trolls xD I might just be a pink computer program xD

Ami Angelwings

Magpie | November 18, 2011 at 2:39 am

What does Roissy think about parent-child love?

He tries not to. That L word is a feminist invention and it burns when he looks at it. (or types it)

Ami Angelwings

Hmm.. according to Zhinxy Roissy DOES believe in lurve o_O And like love love not just sex… and he’s loved many women…

if that’s true, why doesn’t he want his followers to experience this? o_O

SaruGoku
SaruGoku

Zhinxy,

It always was and it gets even scarier when morons like Heartiste get hold of this kind of populist site, think it makes them an expert and start spouting these kinds of crackpot theories on the strength of it. True, they didn’t state it outright but it wouldn’t be difficult for an MRA to spin it that way if they felt so inclined. They must have seen the implications.