antifeminism MRA threats violence against men/women

The National Coalition For Men – formerly the National Coalition of Free Men – describes itself as “the oldest Men’s Rights organization in North America.” It has been around, in some form or another, since 1977. The group has a board of advisors, which includes academics and mental health professionals and bestselling author Warren Farrell. It has a number of local chapters. Its website is professional-looking; they even have an elegant little logo.

The group appears, at first glance, to be a real and reasonable advocacy group.

But it doesn’t take long to find evidence that the group is infected with the same hateful extremism that is endemic in  the Men’s Rights movement.

Take this bizarre and creepy image – and its equally bizarre and creepy caption – that I found illustrating a recent press release about Senator Patrick Leahy and the Violence Against Women Act.

From the National Coalition For Men website.

As far as I can figure it, the Joker is supposed to represent Leahy’s supposed feminist puppetmasters; regardless, it is a jarring image depicting violence against an elected official as somehow humorous.

The article (picture and all) has gotten 14 Facebook “likes” and no comments; evidently none of the MRAs reading the article were bothered enough by the illustration to publicly challenge it.

How exactly does posting  a picture of the Joker threatening an elected official with a knife advance the cause of Men’s Rights?

Do the group’s advisors — including Warren Farrell and well-known domestic violence researcher Martin Fiebert — know that the group’s website features this repugnant image? Do they care?

I would encourage readers here to investigate the NCFM site in more detail. I wonder what other evidence of hate might be found. (If you do find more, please make screenshots, and post what you find in the comments below, with a link to the page on NCFM’s website.)

EDITED: I originally referred to the images as photoshopped, but evidently it’s from The Dark Knight. Oops. Corrected.

Holly Pervocracy

I’m usually pretty good at translating MRA to English, but I tried twice to understand the caption for that picture and all I got was “Toothbrush lollipop swing the rag ball elegant.”

Does anyone know what the hell it’s trying to say?

hellkell
hellkell

No idea, Holly. It makes no sense at all.

Holly Pervocracy

Well, I hope the MRAs are suitably distressed by the gratuitous depiction of violence against a man just because of his political beliefs.

(For some reason, “VAWA implant” reminds me of NWO’s “Title IX police force.” Like these things aren’t just laws, they’re entire shadow governments. Who knows what VAWA is truly capable of?)

Evan
Evan

You know Pat Leahy was in the Dark Knight, right? That image isn’t photoshopped.

hellkell
hellkell

I bet our paranoid friend will think that a “VAWA implant” is an actual thing he will be forced to get come the revolution.

Lee Atwater
Lee Atwater

FYI, that’s not photoshopped. Leahy was actually in The Dark Knight. It was weird.

zhinxy

This reminds me of a comment I once read regarding conspiracy theorist and far right wing theories regarding the UN – That it’s an odd combination of “obsessed with” and “ignorant of” – Only in these cases, it’s even worse. Instead of a large international body, it’s a piece of legislation.

Sharculese

i totally forgot that fucking happened

that was weird

Sharculese

i really like how when the mrm actually sort of accomplishes something its still hilarious

Lauralot
Lauralot

A. I wish my state officials were awesome enough to cameo in Batman films.

B. That caption is incomprehensible even by Internet troll standards, and is rapidly approaching “what is this I don’t even” levels.

C. What is it with people using the Joker for their political statements? First there were the Obama-Joker “socialism” posters, the Sarah Palin “Kill the Batman” images, and now this. The Joker’s an anarchist who thinks morality is a bad joke. He’s not going to endorse government health care or whatever it is you want to speak against.

Sharculese

he also wears a lot of makeup so LEFT COAST LIBERAL BOTOX FACELIFT HAG

Holly Pervocracy

Zhinxy – Sounds like Fred Clark’s Patheos commentary on the Left Behind series. He talks a lot about the tendency of “End Times” types to constantly talk about government institutions while studiously not researching even the most basic facts about their structure and history.

/internet-expert

Bagelsan
Bagelsan

The Left Behind peeps have a lot in common with OWLslave in that respect; for him it’s the “NWO” and for them it’s the UN, but that’s basically the same thing I guess. :p

(Btw, are those reviews still going? I lost track of them when he switched to a new site a while back.)

Holly Pervocracy

Bagelsan – He’s still doing them every week!

They can get a little “samey” (to be fair, that’s because the books are even samier), but I like ’em.

zhinxy

That was exactly where it was! *bows before Holly*

zhinxy

Leahy is a HUGE Batfan. He did a voice in the animated series and had a cameo in Batman and Robin before people realized that wasn’t a good thing at all and let him be in Dark Knight. – zhinxy used to have a batman blog 😉

zhinxy

He wrote the forward to the Dark Knight Archives and some Green Arrow trades as well.

Lauralot
Lauralot

I knew about his cameos, but I didn’t know about his role in the animated series. Who did he voice?

zhinxy

The episode Showdown – He voices the Governor of Utah Territory 🙂

kladle

“Your push for equal pay isn’t for equal work, it’s for safer and more comfortable work. I saw Pelosi holding a shovel by the handle in a way that would prevent her from being able to pull up any dirt. The photo was a political opportunity on the the cover of a recent Disabled American Veteran Magazine. The three men next to her were holding the shovel properly. I thought about how hard most men work for their families and how you, and your staff are clueless. Almost all men know how to hold a shovel. And yet Pelosi will be one of the first to suggest that she knows how much male labor and female labor is worth. ”

“I would challenge the president of NOW or Pelosi or Hillary Clinton (I know that Pelosi and Clinton serve America but few women have any idea what living with a 100% disability is like for decades; that’s serving) to a challenge. We can have a little test of men and women’s work by putting a pile of sand a hundred yards from a wheel barrow, and for an hour we move that pile of sand a hundred yards back to where we started and we see how much I move compared to any of you… and if I can move 25% more should I get 25% more pay. If you had to hire a male laborer who could do more work – for a year – or a female for a year, for less work, do they get the same pay. If a 65 years old man with screws in his joints, and anemia can out work you physically, what would a healthy young man do.”

“I was reading the recent DAV magazine and a female military women was upset that the DAV mag was so “male centric” … no lie. It’s because 99.999% of deaths in our wars are male. It’s because almost all 100 % disabilities are male. Female disabilities are often the same as civilian, a car wreck, an accident, and not by intentionally putting them on the front lines.”

“You look at a girl dieting and worry about her “self image” but who had the eating disorder, that girl dieting (to try to have an image that is more likely to get male attention and the PERKS that go with it, free dinners, a life time of financial support for some. Nine girls who don’t look pretty, so sad, neglected, can’t use sexual power to get what they want from men, instead they have to do what most men do, get a personality, a job, money, charm… to get a partner) or the millions of teen boys eating two cheese burgers, super sized fries, and a 40 ounce coke that leads to male deaths from heart attacks in their 30′s?”

———————————————————————

“Consequently, our culture does not tell women that femininity is harmful, dangerous, and in disarray, and only the immediate infusion of masculinity in place of femininity’s core traits would solve the problem. That would be considered sexist.”

darksidecat

Somehow, MRAs can’t seem to figure out that poor women and rich men also exist…

kladle

“NCFM Note: Or, we’d probably all feel better if when men and women talk together women talk a lot less and men talk a bit more. This study partially explains why women matriculate primarily to soft jobs (education, social services, and so on) which allow copious opportunities to verbalize and go to meetings where incessant talking is non stop. Perhaps this also explains why women think going to 10 or more meetings a week has the same value as men who risk their lives 24/7 fishing the Aleutians day after day. It might also explain why feminists believe in “connected ways of knowing” which problematically requires women to talk with one another for validation. Women simply place a higher value on talking than do men who prefer to be doing something more productive. Men create while women articulate. Of course, that’s my perspective as a man. I’m sure if I were a women this explanation would be noticeably different and substantially wordier.”

AbsintheDexterous

There’s a page on false accusations, with these gems:

Some studies represent false accusations are 50% of allegations examined.

The claim that only 2% of rape accusations are false is totally unfounded and is purportedly based on FBI crime data (though we have yet to see this confirmed), and crime data is never a reliable source to project upon the population as a whole, as compared to empirical research. But no matter what the numbers are, there is no excuse for the lack of attention to the problem. Falsely accused persons are victims too, and to deny or downplay the experiences of those victims is a hypocritical form of victim-blaming..

Link

Of course, there’s more, with some links to some likely dubious sources, though I didn’t feel like completely wading through those.

(I don’t know how to make screenshots, so this is the best I could do.)

kariface
kariface

Okay, so this really doesn’t have anything to do with this specific topic, but I met an actual MRA in the flesh last week while I was at the GOP debate in Michigan! He actually said stuff and wasn’t just angrily putting things in comments on the internet! It was AWESOME!

And then I realized that he was a jackass who kept asking me questions and then interrupting me when I tried to answer.

Xardoz
Xardoz

I see the inherent comedy here. Despite the official sounding-name, the content is the standard MRA BS. It’s so predictable. Is there a program that generates MRA blog posts yet? Let’s see, there are…

Evil women stories

Feminism is worse than Dracula’s Curse

“I don’t wanna pay child support or taxes but don’t you dare abort your kid”

Opinion pieces with facts pulled out of the writer’s ass

AND MORE!

From the creepy craption:
“Aliens? Not really, we assimillated.”

For comedy’s sake, I hope they believe in an Icke-style alien conspiracy. I wonder if they know Ron Paul is a reptillian? Youtube is always right.

filetofswedishfish

Do these MRA types also realize that there are male teachers and male office workers, etc? Or that men filibuster in Congress (verbalizing, hello!)? I mean, hell, I’ll add an anecdata point: I frequently struggle with word count minimums in my college classes. My writing is too succinct.

Dracula
Dracula

Feminism is worse than Dracula’s Curse

Really? Looks like I’ll have to try harder.

random6x7
random6x7

I’m female, and I can shovel dirt as fast as or faster than most men. I had one job where the only person who could keep up with me was the ex-Marine. Does that mean I get more money?

zhinxy

No, it means you’re lying, or all the men have been feminized by the school system, pbs, and the estrogen in the water from our slut pills.

firebee

“We can have a little test of men and women’s work by putting a pile of sand a hundred yards from a wheel barrow, and for an hour we move that pile of sand a hundred yards back to where we started and we see how much I move compared to any of you…”

I do not think this illustrates what yahoo thinks it illustrates…

Bagelsan
Bagelsan

Really? Looks like I’ll have to try harder.

Trying calling them “creepy”; worst curse evah.

kladle

“NOTE: Kanazawa in not spot-on concerning men earning more, since they generally don’t. Even if they do the women in their lives spend most of it, or have the money lavished upon them, inherit it, or, even, steal it, most often legally with the help of their legislators and the courts.”

—————————–
@Absinthe

I’m not even touching some of the empirical claims they’re making, since I don’t know that segment of the literature very well, but a good deal of their claims and evidence seem to be extremely fishy. They don’t believe in the wage gap, don’t believe that women do more housework, believe that the majority of male-on-female rape accusations or an extremely high minority of them are false, etc.

@Xardoz

This site’s a mixed bag. While there does seem to be some good things going on there, like awareness of male victims domestic violence and abuse, advocating for support for male depression, and honoring fatherhood, the majority of the site seems, like most MRA sites, to be mostly anti-feminist and downplaying injustice against women. I’ve spotted a huge amount of standard MRA talking points but unfortunately (fortunately???) most of the articles stay just a hair on the side of not openly degrading women.

hellkell
hellkell

Fucking data, how does it work?

Xardoz
Xardoz

The curse of Feminism turns women into false rape accusers, spermjackers, and diggers of precious metals. Meanwhile the menfolk have been brainwashed into behaving like manginas, just waiting to be drained of all their precious essences.

Feminism also makes all the milk turn sour.

Yes, you have a lot of catching up to do, Dracula.

Dracula
Dracula

Honestly, given the level of batshittery we get from MRA trolls here, I’m surprised one of them hasn’t taken my name as “proof” that the Lord of the Undead has sided with the feminists.

random6x7
random6x7

zhinxy, some of the guys on the crew were kinda fey. I guess the Marines can only do so much against the feminizing horrors of PBS?

kladle

“I’ve written about this situation before, and here is my conclusion: Using female sexuality to sell or promote products/events is OK if the beneficiary is a woman – otherwise it’s sexist.
And a woman can flaunt her sexuality all she wants, but if a man mistakens her flaunting for something more, it’s his fault.
Women play both sides of the fence with their sexuality, vacillating between victim status and empowerment status, depending on which position gives them the most power. And feminists are no different.”

—————–

I’m done for now. If anyone else wants to try to find some good ones, search on google “site:ncfm.org” and then whatever keyword you think will bring up some good hits. I already tried most of the slurs against women I could think of & mostly no dice. “Feminism” looks to be a promising keyword so far. Have fun.

Rutee Katreya

God damn, these assholes need a fucking hobby.

firebee

To be a little less coy —

The guy specified that the pile of sand was to be 100 yards away from a wheelbarrow and that the sand was then to be moved “back to where we started”. This specification is a bit less clear than I would like (technically, if we move the wheelbarrow from the sand pile, the sand pile is already back where we started), but it seems that the implication of the plan is to move the sand pile into the distant wheelbarrow, and that the guy intends to shame us all with his work output by doing it with a shovel… but not with his brains, by moving the wheelbarrow back to the sand pile and filling it there.

Or renting a Bobcat, which is what I’d first contemplate if confronted with a pile of sand of significant size and a need for it to be elsewhere. But I suppose that’s why I work as an engineer rather than as a person who digs holes.

Bagelsan
Bagelsan

@firebee: I’m glad you explained, ’cause hell if I could figure out what we were moving where. :p (Though if I did have to move a bunch of sand, I would totally just mind control some fricking ants. Worker ants. Who are FEMALE!)

Quackers
Quackers

Oh Satoshi Kanzawa, the same guy who used “science” to prove black women are ugly.

1 of those links is to Fox News, 3 link to the DailyMail, and one to the False Rape Society.

Yep. Totally unbiased sources right there. They aren’t even studies, but news reports.

Oh man look, factfinder posted about this post: http://ncfm.org/2011/10/news/discrimination-against-men-news/leahy-bill-would-turn-every-college-male-into-a-rape-suspect/#IDComment223103432

Screencap before they take it down!

Quackers
Quackers

Also how awesome is it that Leahy was in one of the best movies ever?!

kladle

Here’s another link dump. I do have shots of all of these if they get taken down or whatever.

————
“First, contemporary feminists don’t have hearts. They are ideological auto-matrons goose-stepping us all toward oblivion. These wackos are connected by ways of knowing that leave no room for things like wisdom. They are “Fe-ME-ists” who take no responsibility for anything that goes wrong and are only concerned with themselves. They shame, blame, and guilt trip everyone into believing the most absurd things, like the swill upchucked by the questionably conscious men in the original surrealistic mangina-monologue “Dear Woman”. Click on the picture on the left if you have a strong stomach or a pint of Rolaids.”

————
(Not necessarily hatred, but a bizarre conspiracy theory)

“Sweden has the second highest number of reported rape in the world; only beaten by “Lesotho” in Africa. From 1975 – 2005 the number of reported sex crimes has increased from 2000 a year to almost 16 000. This is totally according to the plans of the Swedish regime which are flourishing and making a lot of money by the wars on fathers and families. Hence the cries for new and more “effective” laws on rape are on the rise. It will be perfect to use it against us dads to separate us from our kids.”

—————–
“Another column written by a woman, and another one that attacks men in various spots (I’ve grown used to the fact that many female writers cannot write about gender related issues without taking cheap shots at men. That’s one of the reasons I do what I do. It’s done in the name of “equality”. As I wrote above, feminist have instilled the belief that two wrongs make a right. So in defense of MY cheapshots towards women, I justify it by saying “I’m getting in touch with my feminine side!”).”

———————
“A new graphic Australian television ad shows children trembling beneath a table while a big bad white guy threatens a woman and throws things against a wall. So why didn’t they show a wild-eyed, spit spewing, finger-nail clawing, foul mouthed, tattooed, out of control modern women?

Health Minister Kon Vatskalis said the ad showed the reality of reported assaults of which 50% were related to domestic violence. So they could have showed a bitching, spit spewing, buff Barbie with a graduate degree in WoMEN StuDIEs traumatizing the children and shredding the kitchen?

Vlatskails: “We wanted to show exactly what domestic violence is.” Ok, so why not show a border line disordered psycho whacko woman beating the crap out of a guy, particularly since in Australia arguably more women beat men than men beat women (similar to other places).”

———————-
“Why some women wear too much perfume
Another article displaying the creative ways in which the female ego will transform irresponsible female behavior towards others into a cause of sympathy and compassion for themselves. This article states that women who wear too much perfume aren’t being rude to others, their probably suffering from depression.
Question: Will women ever grow up and just take responsibility for their abhorrent behavior by just saying, “I f****ed up. Sorry, my fault.”?”

“Fear of Crying Unfair

After reading this article, one thought kept going through my head. With a sarcastic grin on my face, all I kept thinking was WELCOME TO MAN’S WORLD SWEETHEART.”

“Young women choosing careers over love

Again the female ego proves how hypocritical and insensitive it is when comparing similar situations and realities between men and women.Notice how women always find a great excuses for their behavior, but generally refuse to accept any excuses from men?”

zhinxy

omg, I love auto-matron!

kladle

“Would it be clear that our culture values men far more than women, if, in the US, women accounted for 90 percent of workplace fatalities, yet still came cries for “men’s comfort and safety”? The gender-opposite is reality. In relationships, what if women learned early in life that a woman’s role is to work a job that she hates in order to provide for the comfort, safety and security of a man who, often times, has been socialized to be an ungrateful misogynist–someone who hates women. The gender-opposite is true–and women deserve better than to be ungrateful trophies.”
….

[Breast cancer research gets more attention than prostate cancer research]
“Women deserve better than to be self-centered, woman-centric chauvinists.”

[Stuff about domestic violence]
“Women deserve better than to be unaccountable abusers”

——————–

@ zhinxy
I am forced to admit that that is actually a pretty clever pun. Also, that’s pretty badass imagery. He transcends “feminazi” and goes straight for “world-annihilating nazi fembots”.

NWOslave
NWOslave

Completely on topic.

“Does the National Coalition For Men think violence against elected officials is a joke?”

Big Daddy commands immense power and directs violence only towards men. Even though 50 to 70% of your grades in primary schooling comes from behavior and conformity, this indocrination into obedience doesn’t work well on boys/men. Violence directed at men by the State isn’t a joke, neither is men rebelling, answering violence with violence.

Snowy
Snowy

Like the joker? I don’t understand what you’re trying to say Mr Slave.

Spearhafoc

NWOslave, what did you think of The Dark Knight?

zhinxy

So, NWO, are you finally willing to talk to me about your beliefs vis a vis the State?

NWOslave
NWOslave

@zhinxy

Here is your previous comment on this thread; ““First, contemporary feminists don’t have hearts. They are ideological auto-matrons goose-stepping us all toward oblivion.

omg, I love auto-matron!”

Any conversation with you would be futile at best. All your comments run along these lines. Why would I waste any effort? Anything I put forth is, and always will be met with the same nothingness.

1 2 3 5