creepy douchebaggery evil women men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny

Twitter hashtag of the day: #MenCallMeThings, a catalogue of horrendous misogynist crap sent to women online

Twitter hashtag of the day: #mencallmethings, in which Women With Opinions on the Internet report some of the creepy, violent, threatening, misogynist things said to them in comments and emails by dudes on the Internet. GIANT TRIGGER WARNING for:  “whore,” “slut,” “cunt,” “fat cunt,” “ugly cunt,” “cunt bucket,” “cum dumpster,” “lesbian hambeast” (huh?), assorted threats of rape and murder —  the list goes on, and on, and on. I would post the, er, “highlights,” but, really, just go and look at it. This shit is relentless.

Molly Ren

“I recently found a load of backup CD-Rs of a laptop that I had in the late 1990s, and thought I might as well import all my emails from back then. Naturally, I couldn’t resist re-reading a few, and… well…”

I just went through four years of blog posts. I was a naive, ignorant dork back then, man. 😛

Molly Ren

Dracula: Obviously, women and the KKK are equally bad!

darksidecat

I am not okay with threats of rape, murder, and mutilation of anyone, MRAL. That includes people I despise, such as yourself.

Men's Rights Activist Lieutenant
Men's Rights Activist Lieutenant

Feminism is a hate movement, so I believe the comparison is fairly apt.

Wetherby
Wetherby

And how glad am I that social networking and online forums weren’t around when I was a teenager? I’m dreading my kids hitting their teens – in many ways, it’s worse being an online-savvy parent, as I can’t claim blissful ignorance.

CassandraSays

Much as I despise the KKK I still wouldn’t think that it was funny if people were sending individual members rape threats. If you don’t like someone’s ideas or actions you criticise the ideas, or the actions. “I’m going to rape you until you die you fat bitch” is not a valid way of complaining that you find someone’s ideas objectionable, nor is it smart or interesting.

Polliwog
Polliwog

People here have called me ugly, a few times.

Could you possibly link to an example? I’ve only been here for a couple of months, and I don’t remember ever seeing such a thing during that time, but perhaps it happened earlier? I can’t help wondering, though, if you were misreading sarcasm about the idea that all women would find you ugly for being about average height as some sort of agreement with that statement, which is why an example would be good.

The reason it hasn’t happened much is because I have not posted a picture of myself. Futrelle made fun of Johnny Appleseed just a few days ago for looking like Dale Gribble. Not that that actually offends me or anything, but I’m just saying, if you’re going to be so hypersensitive about cracks re. physical appearance, you’ve got to police yourselves pretty hard or you just come off as fucking hypocrites.

I don’t really think the point of that joke was “ha ha, this dude we don’t even have a photograph of was ugly” so much as “heh, the idea of a dude running around barefoot and with a cooking pot on his head is funny, and between that and the drawing of him, he comes off seeming like a wackadoodle!” I agree that cracks about physical appearance are often inappropriate, but there’s a very, very large difference between, “Shut up, you fat cow,” and “Hey, this historical figure who’s been dead for quite some time looks funny in this illustration!” (Among other things, the likelihood that Johnny Appleseed’s feelings are going to be hurt is pretty small.)

Furthermore- I think we should clarify that it’s really not about being a woman, it’s about being a FEMINIST. I’d bet money that 95% of the women on that feed are explicitly feminist, and say as much on their blog. There’s a fuck ton of hatred for feminism on the Internet, I’ll fully agree with that, and with good reason. The male feminist bloggers get verbally abused pretty hard as well.

MRAL, can I tell you a story?

A few years ago, one of my friends got engaged. Because her fiance proposed in a very public and very humorous way, a short story about them appeared in her local newspaper, and featured a photograph of the two of them. No information whatsoever about either of them was given except for:

– their names
– their ages
– what city they lived in
– where they went to college
– how long they had been dating
– the aforementioned humorous way in which they got engaged
– a quote from her stating that she thought the proposal was hilarious

That’s it.

Shortly after the story came out, she started receiving truly vile emails calling her a “fat bitch,” saying that she must have blackmailed her fiance into marrying her because no man would want a “fatty,” and threatening to “rape her to death till she knew her place.” (I’m not sure how she was meant to know anything after being dead, but no one said these assholes were smart.) Her fiance, understandably outraged, went to look at the newspaper story online to try to figure out what was going on, and found a lengthy discussion in the comments between four male-identified posters openly stating that they were going to hunt down her contact info and send said emails because “fat whores like that made them sick.”

Unless “being overweight and getting engaged” is a feminist position, it often really, really is just about being a woman. Not that verbally abusing people for being feminists is any better, but please don’t deceive yourself into thinking that a great many of these wastes of skin wouldn’t target women just for existing in public.

thebionicmommy
thebionicmommy

Are you defending the bullies here? Just because some people don’t like feminism, that doesn’t give them the right to harass and threaten feminists. I know the assholes think that what they do is justified, but they use the abuser’s logic of “I have to hurt her because she makes me mad”.

I know what the bullies want, and that is to scare feminists into keeping our mouths shut about misogyny. If women are quiet about harassment, then people can deny it happens. If we speak up about it, then we’re called oversensitive cry babies. That’s pretty rich considering that some of the MRA’s think the word ‘dude’ is a slur against men, and they are still whining about the Simpsons.

Wetherby
Wetherby

I don’t have a clue what MRAL looks like, so I couldn’t possibly use the word “ugly” to describe his physical appearance. Being average height (which is literally all I know) tells me absolutely nothing: he could well be taller than Tom Cruise and Mel Gibson, and he’s certainly considerably taller than Prince, none of whom seem to have much difficulty in attracting women.

On the other hand, I can easily see why people would use the word “ugly” to describe MRAL’s opinions, and if MRAL can’t understand why this might be, maybe he needs to re-read some of the things he’s been posting and have a think about how this makes him come across to people who don’t know him in real life.

Hide and Seek
Hide and Seek

“True. Maybe it’s time for a feminist take on the genre. Imagine a girl Rambo, on a rampage, because someone called her a fatty or used the wrong gender pronoun. A relevant movie for an oversensitive age.”

Arks,

I know, right? What story do you think The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was telling? Why do you think so many people identified with it?

(I skipped ahead, please excuse me if this point has already been made.)

Polliwog
Polliwog

Yeah, that was the other possibility I wondered about. I have no qualms with saying that someone who screams about how all women are bitches/”gashes”/etc. has one hell of an ugly personality, even if he’s a Calvin Klein underwear model.

Men's Rights Activist Lieutenant
Men's Rights Activist Lieutenant

Trollin'MRAs
Trollin'MRAs

Reading the hashtag and all the news stories about misogynist trolls has made me realize how fluffy and harmless, dare I say “FEMINIZED,” most of our MRA trolls are in comparison.

Thanks for holding off on the graphic genitorture/rape/murder threats, guys!
I know it’s probably hard for you!

CassandraSays

Did MRAL bother to watch the XBox Live Girls video? Because from what I’ve heard women who play online games get horrible things said to them all the time, and most of them are not in any way IDing as feminist while they play.

I’ve probably called MRAL undateable at some point but hey, dude, you know why I say that about you? It’s because of your (unpleasant) personality. It has nothing to do with your looks.

Spearhafoc

I’ve said that I’m glad MRAL is lonely – that he deserves to be lonely until he gets his act together. I stand by that.

It’s been hashed out many times before, but this is the dude who flew into a murderous (albeit internalised) rage when a woman he said hello to on an elevator didn’t say hello back in a polite enough way.

Wetherby
Wetherby

Lack of (perceived) physical attractiveness really shouldn’t be a problem if you can compensate with a winning personality. Pretty much every woman of my acquaintance would rather date someone short and plain who could also make them laugh and feel good about themselves than they would a bronzed Adonis with the emotional maturity of a 12-year-old.

Xanthe
Xanthe

The mainstream backlash begins with Brendan O’Neill in the UK Telegraph:
“There is a remarkable amount of incivility and abusiveness on the web. But that is no excuse for attempting to turn the internet into the online equivalent of a Women’s Institute meeting, where no one ever raises their voice or “unstintingly ridicules” another or is crude. I would rather surf a web that caters for all, from the clever to the cranky, rather than put up with an internet designed according to the needs of a tiny number of peculiarly sensitive female bloggers.”
How many fallacies do you want to count? Already he’s been thoroughly skewered by Ophelia Benson (herself a frequent target of obscene abuse and threats) over at FreethoughtBlogs:

CassandraSays

“This is one thing I simply can’t fathom about MRAs who are either outright virgins or so sexually inexperienced that they might as well be. Surely if they want to get laid – and their desperation on that score frequently underscores much of what they write – the most sensible course of action is to make themselves more appealing to the opposite sex, rather than considerably less?”

All the ranting about gashes does seem counterproductive, doesn’t it? Then again, if they were wise enough to realize that it’s their hostility towards women that’s putting women off in the first place then they wouldn’t be in the position they’re in. Classic Catch 22.

Wetherby
Wetherby

Brendan O’Neill is a professional contrarian – or a troll, if you want to be blunt.

I don’t think I’ve ever read a piece by him that wasn’t clearly designed to wind people up.

Captain Bathrobe
Captain Bathrobe

Did I mention that I think Ami is awesome? Because she is! XD

KathleenB
KathleenB

Bacon candy canes? Serously?! That’s… That’s actually gone beyond revolting. I’ve tried chocolate with bacon – gack, but in an interesting way. I like a bit of salt in my sweets, but bacon in everything is just gross.

Xanthe
Xanthe

KathleenB, do you want bacon with that?

And I’d also like to say Ami is totally awesome beyond words, having just discovered her Escher Girls tumblr, which caused my eyes pop out of my head and my boobs to fall off/gainax in several anatomically impossible directions.

Holly Pervocracy

Almost completely unrelated story: My friend PJ recently had a housewarming party. And he decided he was going to make candied bacon at this party. I’m not sure exactly what went wrong, but there was almost no time to ask “does it smell kind of smoky in here?” Everything in the oven–two full trays of bacon and sugar–caught on fire. The house filled with thick, black, disturbingly bacony smoke. Most of the guests ran out. PJ and I, and another guest who was a firefighter, ran in to turn off the oven, put out the fire, and open all the windows. Superheated molten bacon fat/sugar mixture spattered out of the oven on PJ’s foot and burned him.

The moral of the story is that candied bacon can completely ruin your party.

(The other moral of the story is that when things are on fire just call the damn fire department.)

Dracula
Dracula

People need to be more aware of the limitations of bacon. It really doesn’t go with everything, and we as a society need to accept that.

Hershele Ostropoler

MRAL:

Which of those individuals do you claim to be?

I know, you specified it didn’t offend you. But then I’m not sure what your point is. It’s not like he said “Johnny Appleseed was, y’know, a man, who did things! How awful!”

Rutee Katreya

mral is casually comparing the KKK to feminists. Even if that weren’t stupid on its face, and it is, because feminists aren’t a hate group, I’d honestly bet dollars to donuts that the KKK gets fewer threats of violence.

Joanna

“The guy who wrote the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was just a snivelling mangina and a misandrist.”

Pfft! I know right? I mean after she was raped, she should have just went home and cried and the book should have ended there. Such a shame the author had to ruin a good story with a revenge plot.

Sharculese

stieg larsson had to live the last two decades of his life in semi-secrecy, because he refused to let the constant death threats intimidate him out of his investigative reporting on right-wing and white nationalist movements in sweden. MRAL, what are the odds you are ever going to do something half as bad-ass with your life?

Men's Rights Activist Lieutenant
Men's Rights Activist Lieutenant

He’s just a mangina.

shaenon

I’m telling you, it’s projection. He was nervous about saying hello, and disappointed that he didn’t get a more enthusiastic response, so in his mind the woman deliberately caused his nervousness and disappointment. Which was awfully cruel of her, right?

I remember way, way back, MRAL posted a picture of the slightly deformed eye he’s self-conscious about. He was shocked when everyone told him his eye looked perfectly fine. Eventually he rationalized this by telling us that we were only being polite because we were on the Internet (which, I know, is the exact opposite of reality, but whatever). Several times, he’s expressed the belief that women go into restrooms to make fun of him. He’s deeply wedded to the idea that his inner self-loathing is some kind of exterior thing caused by everyone around him secretly hating him for no reason.

MRAL, this stuff is not real. These are feelings you have. They are not things people are actually doing.

Wisteria
Wisteria

MRAL has been called some hateful things while he’s been here; however, he’s also been treated nicely many times, too. When he linked to a photo of his eye that he feels is ugly, several people told him that he looks fine. Ami was especially nice and supportive to him about it, saying that one of her eyes is similar to his.

Several people attempted to reassure him about his height, that he’s not short even though he feels he is and that many if not most women are happy to date men his height (5’10” IIRC). He’s so focused on it, it has become sort of a running joke now.

People encouraged him when he commented that he was seeing a therapist. One day when he was making positive comments, he received at least a few responding comments about how he seemed much happier than usual and that was great. (I believe he had spent the day with some friends and was in a very good mood. And it was good to see him happy.)

Heck, I even commented on ways for him to become active in clubs when he returned to college and get to know women as friends in the hopes he’d meet some women he could date or at least be friendly with.

Then he calls feminism a hate movement, but I doubt that if he went to any of the websites of real hate groups that he would have been treated as well as he has here, even while he’s insulting women and feminists.

MRAL is still so young that I guess I give him a pass on bad behavior on here, although I don’t like it and it’s certainly frustrating.. I don’t want him to end up in 30 years like NWO, so I keep hoping for the best for MRAL.

VoiP
VoiP

People here have called me ugly, a few times. The reason it hasn’t happened much is because I have not posted a picture of myself.

I’ve noticed no quotes or links, asshole.

This, on the other hand, I remember.

Rutee Katreya

Yeah if the conversation is going to turn to his eyes, I actually think Heterochromia (that was it, wasn’t it?) looks pretty nice. Sample size of like, 2, but it’s only ever been a positive in my book. I mean, it’s just my opinion, and I’m sure there are people who are assholes about it, but it’s not a negative to every woman ever, by any stretch.

But the hate mongering, stupidity, and other jackassery? It’s not going to help you. At all.

MRAL has been called some hateful things while he’s been here,

I find it highly unlikely that he was insulted before saying anything horrendous.

CassandraSays

I can honestly say that my personal feelings about MRAL have nothing at all to do with his looks. I never saw the photos of his eye (so I have no idea what he looks like), and I don’t care if he’s short (though it doesn’t sound like he actually is, and hey, I’m 5ft 2, most people don’t seem very short to me).

His attitude towards women, on the other hand, is very off-putting. I’m hoping it may be an angry young man issue that he grows out of, because if not he’s doomed to a life of misery, and no one deserves to grow up to be like Slavey.

David K. Meller
David K. Meller

Seriously, the case of an internet type information/entertainment web primarily, or even exclusively for feminists (and the renegade males who uncritically do their bidding) would indeed completely and permanently correct the above problem. The more uncivilized and uncouth misogynists cited could talk with each other, feminists could talk with each other, and never the twain shall meet!

If it works, other ‘internets” and “social networks” could grow and specialize, catering altogether to everyone from animal-rights greens, people who hear messages, and tryto obey them, from G-d, the Devil, Jesus, Mohammed, et al, to racial and religious nationalists of all sorts, white, black, yellow, red, brown, purple polka-dot, zebra striped nationalists, and on and on…to supporters of global warming, global cooling, global both-at-the-same-time, and flat Earthers, witchcraft fanciers, and (goofiest of all) those people who saw–and still see–Obama, his healthcare plan, and the Federal Reserve as a kind of savior of the USA and absolutely HATE Ron Paul and libertarians (sound familar?)..

Youall could get along fine if you didn’t insult and threaten one another, and no insults or threats would be possible if the poster wasn’t allowed on the “net” in question. This should work whether you–and your “internet” or “social network” are feminists, misogynists, or something else entirely!

How about it? Stout fences make for the best neighbors! If people disregard this suggestion, or anything like it, you are like people who get eaten when entering shark infested waters. You may indeed have read some books by famous marine biologists that sharks rarely eat people, but you are in an awful bloody mess and nobody would give a plugged nickel for your chances, if the shark(s) never read your book!

That wasn’t hard, was it? See what a little male common sense will do?

kristinmh
kristinmh

Not to pile on MRAL, but yeah, I can’t recall anyone calling him ugly. I remember when posted the picture and we all said “You look just fine” and when he posted his height and we all said “That’s actually average height”, and when Ami (I think – it might have been darksidecat) told us to stop making fun of him for his insecurities because he probably had Body Dysmorphic Disorder.

Jesus, MRAL, we’ve been pretty nice to you! And then you call us gashes and holy highnesses and the equivalent of the KKK. I’m with everyone else, if you can’t get a date it ain’t your eyes or your height – it’s your charming and winning personality.

Pecunium

Yeah Meller, separate but equal, and other apartheids work so well. They are so fair.

And there would never be anyone (who might want to tell the evil feminists how much they enjoy them dying of cancer, or look forward to the future when they will slaves, the way they always should have been, always should be, world without end), who might choose to break the rules.

And what body is going to enforce it? Will the gov’t put a chip in your computer, so it knows if you are a man, or a woman. What if you aren’t a good enough man, or a fluffy enough woman… will the chip be changed?

That’s a whole lot of non-libertarianism you got there, forced segregation, monitors on your speech, registering your computers… almost like you wanted to reduce people’s freedom.

That’s your “male common sense”… just set up a tyranny and everyone will be happy.

Pecunium

I mean really Meller… you say that feminist are all harpies and shrikes, but you can’t stay away.

So how do you think lesser men… men without your vision, and your steely will, will be able to refrain from coming to feminist spaces, and other womanly places; and trying to see what they get up to?

If you, of all people, can’t do it; even though we keep saying things you don’t want to be reminded of (sexbots, the blood of women running in the streets, slaves, porcupines and hedgehogs and claws on kittens, your ignorance of modern libertarian thought and the folly of your ideal economy; the hateful way you speak of women and the inability you have to get the women who want to be a subby-sex slave to a Gorean master to even look at you with the slightest glimmer of interest, much less the adoration you feel you deserve), how will those weak men (who haven’t yet seen the need for the slaughter of women if they don’t mend their ways and stop asking you to wash your own socks) be able to stay away?

And what will happen to them when they do enter the spaces in which the Harpies and Shrikes and she-beasts, are supported by the strength that comes of outnumbering those poor, innocent, men; who have lost the hardness that comes of seeing the evil, manly-hating anti-feminines in the wild?

You are dooming them to horrors untold the first time they encounter the cutting remarks of that sort of woman.

Think of those poor men.

Use your common sense.

malcontent
malcontent

Since when are 5’10” men considered too short to date? I have several male friends below that height who are married to attractive women. In fact, even though I am nearly 5’10” myself, I’ve been out with men that height. Sure, I prefer men over six feet, but I’m not exclusively attracted to tall men. And really tall men make me nervous.

Molly Ren

MRAL’s comment about Stieg Larsson is particularily amusing in that some of the first criticism I read about his book was titled, “The Girl With The Lots of Creepy Disturbing Torture That Pissed Me Off”.

I can only assume that MRAL immediately stuck on the “mangina” label because the protagonist was female (horrors!) and got revenge in the end.

Does this make Quentin Tarantino a mangina too?

Molly Ren

Scratch that… does this mean in MRAL land, Quentin Tarantino is a FEMINIST? :O

hellkell
hellkell

We already have that, Meller, but you keep coming in and shitting on the rug.

Men's Rights Activist Lieutenant
Men's Rights Activist Lieutenant

It’s pretty established that Larsson identified as a feminist, had a major problem with violence against women (but, I’m sure, not with the far more common and far more pressing issue of violence against men), and the trilogy is, in part, a political reflection of that belief.

Also, I despise Sweden in general because it’s basically a feminist concentration camp.

I don’t think anyone here has called MRAL ugly. And I’m positive no one here has called him Quasimodo. That I would have remembered. Hell, he hasn’t even called himself Quasimodo.

And he doesn’t have a hunchback, so it wouldn’t make any sense anyway.

CassandraSays

“We already have that, Meller, but you keep coming in and shitting on the rug.”

I keep saying, he’s fundamentally uncivilized. Has no sense at all of the concept of there being a time and a place for things, just babbles endlessly about whatever he wants to talk about regardless of how bored/annoyed it makes other people. Has no respect at all for other people’s wishes or needs. Makes ridiculous demands of others, but is unwilling to compromise himself even to the point of accepting that those he dislikes should be allowed to, you know, stay alive. Argues in favor of approximately 3.5 billion people being killed, and thinks this is perfectly polite as long as he doesn’t use any naughty words.

Lauralot
Lauralot

@MollyRen: Tarantino has movies in which women kill men. Of course he’s a mangina.

CassandraSays

Sweden – the first concentration camp to feature skiing, excellent pastries, and lots of very nice hotels. I’m telling you, IKEA is actually an attempt to spread feminist indoctrination across all the nations of the world. You know when you buy those Daim bars to take home? They contain a male-specific poison that removes the drive towards aggression.

The first stage of Operation Destroy Men was ABBA, but the Swedes quickly realised that recruiting people via special offers on bookcases was more efficient.

hellkell
hellkell

MRAL, don’t you know that in IKEA stores there’s special ink on the floors that only women can see that lead us through housewares into the Operation Destroy Men HQ? Fuck the Swedish Meatball, I’m going to the Weapons Room.

ithiliana

@Cassandrasays: but the Swedes quickly realised that recruiting people via special offers on bookcases was more efficient.

*spits coke zero all over monitor*

*wipes up mess*

I agree, it is a brilliant plan, but probably that’s why they’ve not been able to indoctrinate the MRA manly men groups: they don’t need no stinking’ bookcases! They don’t read books!

Proof: every single historical or economic or philosophical or theological comment made by our darling MRA trollz!