antifeminism creepy evil women false accusations men who should not ever be with women ever misandry misogyny MRA nice guys oppressed men oppressed white men rape rapey reddit

The False Rape Society: Fighting “false accusations” with rape jokes and misinformation

Question for Pierce Harlan, the guy behind the False Rape Society blog: Do you really think this is the best way to fight false rape allegations?

The real problem here isn’t that he’s recycled an old rape joke; it’s that he’s pretending that rapists are somehow a species apart from ordinary men. His big complaint is that the PSA in question “passes off a criminal deviant as a typical guy.”

Pierce, what do you think rapists look like? They’re not villains out of some silent-movie  melodrama, twirling their whiskers and cackling with glee. They don’t have giant R’s tattooed on their foreheads. No, they look like “ordinary” guys. Exactly like them. Rape prevention  — and crime prevention in general  — would be a lot more effective if criminals could be easily identified at a glance. But the world doesn’t work that way. Most criminals look pretty ordinary, actually.

But the problem with Harlan’s stance here go beyond that. The fact is that most rapists aren’t sinister strangers hiding in an alleyway; the overwhelming majority – something like 70% — are people known to their victims. As someone who writes regularly about rape, Pierce is presumably aware of this, which means either that he’s being completely disingenuous, or that he’s simply pretending that date rape (and non-stranger rape in general) doesn’t exist.

The PSA in question is far from perfect. Aside from the terrible acting, the main problem with it is that it it’s victim-blaming. Its depiction of a rapist as an ordinary-looking guy – and a friend of the victim — is the one thing it gets right.

To get an idea of the sort of person who reads (and agrees with) The False Rape Society blog, here are a couple of comments on the, er, “controversy.”

Here’s a comment from YouTube, posted by someone who obviously got there from Harlan’s blog (it appeared after the video was linked at the FRS; before the recent batch of comments, the video hadn’t had a comment for three years).

So the message is that if a guy is being helpful at a party, he’s probably a rapist? This is not a fair psa. It did better than some though, by highlighting the fact that the female friend ditched her.

Apparently, in this guy’s mind, trying to remove the clothes of a woman almost completely incapacitated by alcohol is just a way of being “helpful.”

Meanwhile, on the FRS blog itself:

Anonymous said…

Wow- just like TV- apparently the only people on earth who ever do ANYTHING wrong are white males- preferably fat ones to give feminists a little extra to hate.

While we’re on the  subject of false accusations, here’s a strange bit of paranoid word-salad on the subject that I ran across recently from a Reddit Men’s Rightser.

Is it really possible that anyone – including the author and the people upvoting the comment —  could actually believe this nonsense? If so, what a strange, sad world they must live in.

EDITED TO ADD: Holly Pervocracy just wrote a great and highly relevant post on what she calls “Slavering Beast Theory.” As she explains:

In the Slavering Beast Theory, there are two kinds of men.  Two species, nearly. …  There are ordinary guys and there are Slavering Beasts.  And they are very, very easy to tell apart.  They act different, even look different, to the point where any adult should be able to distinguish them in any casual social setting. …

This dichotomy is how someone can simultaneously believe that women shouldn’t go out after dark because rape is such a big problem and believe that tons of rape accusations are false.  It makes perfect sense if you believe there are Slavering Beasts out in the dark, but if an ordinary guy is accused of rape, there must be more to the story.  It explains why people are angered by rape prevention tips aimed at men–those are insulting to ordinary guys, and Slavering Beasts won’t listen.  And it justifies the belief that abuse victims had it coming: either they were abused by a Slavering Beast and should have known better, or they were abused by an ordinary guy and must have done something terrible to provoke him.

LyssatakeaBow
LyssatakeaBow

Lol @ me for even bothering -_-

you’re a more patient person than I am ha. I don’t want to get accused of being anecdotal but does anyone on here know a guy who’s been accused of rape? falsely or rightfully? cause i don’t. I do know at least 5 people who have shared their rape experience with me, they had absolutely nothing to gain from sharing it with me other than just confiding in a human being.

Dracula
Dracula

Okay, at this point I’m going to have to assume NWO did in fact miss the point of the Slavering Beast entirely, but won’t own up to it because admitting he was wrong is ceding ground to The Enemy or something.

Quackers
Quackers

exactly what can women do what men can’t do? seriously. What are men actually BANNED from doing? you know, besides raping or killing people, which also applies to women.

Who is stopping you from doing anything? who is forcing you to get married? who is telling you where to work? how and where you can spend your money? where you can go? who you can talk to? WHO?? who is banning you from doing any of this? what is stopping you?

Aside from some double standards that affect both men and women, who is stopping you from living your life as you please? you really think if we lived in some oppressive matriarchy you’d be allowed to be a misogynist on the internet? no. The internet would probably be regulated to female only sites and idiot MRAs wouldn’t raid spaces for women on reddit. Sammich and kitchen comments would be punished with a fine.

You have one hell of a persecution complex you know that? more than that. GET HELP.

Seraph
Seraph

NWO, I live in the exact same society you do. I’m just as male as you are. You’re talking utter bullshit.

Polliwog
Polliwog

According to him, yes. Look at what he’s said about the US government, and about how he’s so careful to avoid the really super-binding contracts, you know, that one with your name in capital letters.

The “capital letters are corporate!” thing was what sucked me into the comments section of this blog in the first place. (It also made my partner, who is an attorney, blink and repeat the word “what” about half a dozen times in between giggling uncontrollably. Good times.) I’m still trying to wrap my brain around how NWO actually concocts these little jaunts into the land of total insanity, though.

Quackers
Quackers

LyssatakeaBow, I’m just bored right now lol.

Spearhafoc

NWOslave, in light of your piss-poor attempts at satire in this thread, I’m going to give you the (totally undeserved) benefit of the doubt and allow the possibility that you don’t honestly believe that all women should be enslaved.

So, what is it? In all seriousness, do you really believe what you said last night about how all women should be literally owned by a man?

If you don’t actually believe that, you still avoided answering the question that drove you to make that statement. What clothing should women wear to avoid “flaunting her body” or whatever it is you believe women do? Please give examples of NWOslave-approved fashion.

Seraph
Seraph

@ Lyssa – Kinda. If you mean legally accused, then no. However, one of my high school girlfriends recently (i.e. seventeen years after the fact) told me about how her stepbrother, a fellow I knew from around town, had sexually abused her. He was never charged with anything and all that ever happened to him is that he apologized to her at her father’s (his stepfather’s) funeral. Not enough, I’d say, but it seemed to be what she needed.

Seraph
Seraph

‘Night all.

shaenon

you haven’t seen riled up NWO. Just try and make women slaves and wait and see what happens.

I’m sorry, but I’ve been laughing for two days now at the thought of NWO trying this. I mean, how would it even work?

And I love that both NWO and MRAL have recently used the defense of, “Other people think I’m a wonderful person and find my rage-fueled bigotry charming! You don’t know them. They live in Canada.”

Spearhafoc

Good night, all.

I look forward to reading what I’m sure will be NWOslave’s eloquent clarification.

Noadi

I do, and rightfully so. I went to school with a guy who’s currently spending a very, very long time in prison for raping a little girl. He’s the only one I know directly, I know one of my uncles spent time in prison for similar reasons but I’ve never met him (my mom had cut off contact with him well before for unrelated reasons).

On the other side, I know at least 6 women who’ve been sexually assaulted in some way who are open about it.

Quackers
Quackers

Night Seraph and Spearhafoc.

I would imagine it wouldn’t be just them, but other MRAs too. Maybe not all of them, but the real crazies. I laugh at it too, but then I think about the holocaust. You want to believe rationality and morality will prevail, but there’s always a sliver of doubt.

In any case if it ever came to that I’d either die fighting or just off myself. I’d assume Slavey and all the others owning women would just get sick of it too. There would probably be laws that say you can’t neglect or kill your slaves. Knowing them they’d whine that having to feed, clothe and shelter your slaves is male oppression too.

As for their defense, I highly doubt they say the things they do in public. Or definitely not to the extreme that they do online. They’re probably quiet and give off weird vibes. You don’t really know either way. This is why the internet has made me a more cautious person. You don’t know what type of bile the person you just met was saying online an hour ago. Its creepy to think about.

LyssatakeaBow
LyssatakeaBow

I’m interested in all stories whether formally accused or not, but when MRA’s refer to these false accusations that supposedly ruin so many men’s lives i think they are referring to cases that are taken to the court or police which in my personal life I have not seen happen at all, of course there are rape cases but i really do believe that like 95% of rapes are not reported to any authorities and then of course most of them are not false (sorry mra’s, i’d say that for any crime the vast majority of reports are not false). In my fairly average life I’ve never seen a man’s life ruined by any rape accusation not even some guy i work with or so-and-so’s best friend’s uncles. I do believe that something along those lines could happen now and then (to some extent…) but for them to call it an epidemic is just so out there…

Magpie
Magpie

I’ve mentioned before a case where a stepfather raped a child. By the time the police specialist unit got around to interviewing the child, months later, it was too late for any medical evidence. The stepfather refused to be interviewed, so the police decided not to take it to court until further evidence came up. (Or the bastard confessed, I suppose)

Polliwog
Polliwog

I know precisely zero men who have been charged with a sex crime they did not commit. I am vaguely-in-some-way-acquainted with two men who were charged with sex crimes they did commit (they both plead guilty, and they both had a LOT more evidence against them than the victim’s word). Neither of those was rape – one was solicitation of a minor, and the other was some variation on sexual assault (I don’t remember the exact charges, seeing as I was about 10 at the time and I only “knew” the guy in question because he was a priest at the church affiliated with my Catholic elementary school).

I know a lot of rape/assault victims who never went to the police. (I see one of them in the mirror every day.)

LyssatakeaBow
LyssatakeaBow

surely when there’s a child involved mra’s don’t think it’s false? right? i know they get pissy about consent ages and stuff but for the sake of argument let’s say like under 12 they can’t think those are false accusations can they?

Rutee Katreya

Remember that 12 year old who got gang banged, Lyssa, a few months ago?

Magpie
Magpie

On top of that, LyssatakeaBow, the child was a boy, so you would expect MRAs to stick up for him. The man had other stepchildren of both sexes, but only one has told me about it.

I knew another man who was found guilty of sexually assaulting children. He confessed to police but I don’t know what sentence he got.

The bloke who broke into my house and jumped on me pleaded guilty to sexual assault, on condition he wasn’t charged with a worse crime. He got a 12 month suspended sentence.

LyssatakeaBow
LyssatakeaBow

oh yeah, good point 🙁 i saw in the limited media coverage victim-blaming on that (even though she’s a damn child), I’m sure MRA’s were even worse than the media though.

LyssatakeaBow
LyssatakeaBow

wow all these stories are so awful 🙁 I do see though that so far at least all the accused people were guilty of the crime. It’s just such a fantasy of these guys that it’s a common occurrence for a woman to be like “hm i don’t like this man very much i’m going to accuse him of rape!”. Polliwog, I also was raped and didn’t take it to the police, i was 17 at the time and had definitely internalized a lot of the victim blaming stuff out there.

Magpie
Magpie

Lyssa, so sorry that happened to you. 🙁

My best friend was thinking about taking her family to court for abusing her – she hadn’t been near them for at least 15 years. She gathered what evidence she could, medical records and so on, and asked her friends and husband for support. She went to the police who listened and said, yes, we can charge them with X, Y and Z. In the end she decided not to take it to court. She felt vindicated* because the authorities confirmed that what her family had done was wrong, and criminal.

*is that the right word? I mean it helped her stop feeling like it was her own fault.

ozymandias42

NWO: You… gather the evidence and if there’s proof beyond a reasonable doubt that the rapist did it the rapist goes to jail. The same way it works for any other crime. In America, “the accuser says that person did it” isn’t proof beyond a reasonable doubt.

Also, the WHOLE POINT is that rapists are NOT slavering beasts, and so it is impossible to tell who is a rapist or not until they get to the raping part.

Alsoalso, civil law is not slavery.

Spear: Well, uh, I think you’re attractive, or at least the picture of you is attractive (I mean this in the least creepy way possible!). I’m not sure if I count as someone you know, though.

MinervaB
MinervaB

My ex boyfriend was accused of raping the woman he dated after me (via the getting her too drunk to consent and doing it anyway method), but she never went to the police. She just told all of her friends about it. I heard about it through him (we were trying to be friends at the time) and he said they had had sex, but it was consensual. I’m not sure who to believe there, as he did have some screwed up, misogynistic beliefs and I don’t know her personally. He was distressed about it, but that was the only negative effect. He didn’t lose close friends over it, he wasn’t jailed or even questioned, he wasn’t punished by his college, and he didn’t lose his job.

Quackers
Quackers

Remember that 12 year old who got gang banged, Lyssa, a few months ago?

I remember that. They NY Times and the people in that town basically said she was asking for it right?

Yep. No rape culture at all. It’s totally okay to say a 12 year old was slutty or asking for it. Nothing wrong with that at all!

I’m so sorry to hear all the terrible experiences mentioned too. This shit just needs to stop.

Pterygotus
Pterygotus

It’s nowhere near the level of an actual charge, but I was falsely accused of (implicitly sexual, I was never privy to the details) harassment on another site, years ago. I was absolutely mystified when the admin first told me about it, because I didn’t remember doing anything of the sort. I initially assumed I had just inadvertently done something to upset her (I do this with women a lot… not really good at this “social” thing). In the end, it turned out a 3rd party (someone I knew and thought I was on good terms with) basically scapegoated me for the harassing he was doing..

I got banned from several places between the time it started and when my name finally got cleared, including most of the RPs I was participating in at the time.

…so yeah, there’s that story. I’ve been waiting for a vaguely relevant time to post it, actually.

LurkerNo42
LurkerNo42

@NWO

What exactly makes a woman a slut? Can men be sluts, too? What exactly does treating someone like a slut mean?

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Not that Holly’s point isn’t awesome, but honestly I think she’s still giving these guys too much credit. I don’t think the problem is just that they don’t understand what consent is – I think the real problem is that they’re pissed off by the fact that the women are, legally and according to current societal standards, allowed to withdraw consent. Notice how their arguments keep circling around the idea that a woman told you that you were allowed to have sex with her (there’s the initial don’t understand how sex works part, women don’t actually have sex because they like it, etc), and then, for no good reason, she changed her mind. And just because she changed her mind, after initially saying that you could have sex with her, now you’re a rapist. Which is totally unfair! Why should she be allowed to change her mind? It’s not like women enjoy sex, so it’s not like her changing her mind was because what you were doing wasn’t fun for her – the reasons women have sex are mysterious, and probably something to do with wanting men to buy them stuff/do them favors. Thus, if a woman initially gives consent and then withdraws it, why the hell would she do that? Women make no sense. Also, they’re less important than men, so why are they allowed to change their minds? They should be grateful that we don’t just hit them over the head and drag them to our caves any more. And so on.

I really don’t think it’s just about not understanding consent – I think that they are really, really pissed off about the fact that the societal definition of consent used to be that once you get it it’s yours for life and good for any further occasions on which you want to have sex with that woman, and now the societal definition is shifting to one in which consent is something that you have to continually make sure that you still have, and women can withdraw it at any time for any reason. I think a whole lot of the pushback we’re seeing from men about false rape allegations and feminist conversations about rape is really about that. They find the idea that women can withdraw consent totally unacceptable, and they want society to shift back to the old way of defining consent. They also know that feminism is a big part of why the definitions are shifting (and they’re right about that), and they’re mad as hell about it.

evilwhitemalempire
evilwhitemalempire

“The real problem here isn’t that he’s recycled an old rape joke; it’s that he’s pretending that rapists are somehow a species apart from ordinary men.”

Well, good thing ordinary women can’t be rapists eh?

PosterformerlyknownasElizabeth
PosterformerlyknownasElizabeth

NWO, in the event that the case goes to trial where it is quite literally a she said/he said situation, the standard is beyond a reasonable doubt and the jury is determining credibility of the witnesses.

So if there is zero physical evidence, the jury will decided based on how credible they think the state’s witnesses are and/or the defense witnesses (if any testify which is not required.)

There, an exact answer to your question. Now go to hell.

Rutee Katreya

Well, good thing ordinary women can’t be rapists eh?

That would be almost as good a thing as you reading for comprehension ^.^

amandajane5

I do know someone accused of rape, and while it’s a he said/she said situation, I come down firmly on her side. I’ve never met this woman, but she had enough evidence and corroboration that my baby brother was kicked out of college for it. By Mr. Slave’s dreaded Title IX even, probably. Thing is, my baby brother has always had trouble with respecting other people’s boundaries, and has a drug problem, so when I heard the story about why he was kicked out, my reaction was, yeah, I can totally see him doing that. It didn’t have any real effect on his life, very few people know about it, and it didn’t prevent him from getting into another college, like, immediately. Nor has it prevented him for getting and holding a job. In fact, he only had to report to the college board and the woman didn’t press actual criminal charges. Another “ruined” life there.

Happy Anti-MRA
Happy Anti-MRA

It’s an MRA article of faith that, on the word of a woman, a man can be taken to jail. This is the ‘institutionalised violence’ they they fetishise about. Another MRA article of faith is that, on the word of a woman, a man will have all of his possessions, property, liberty and childrem removed from him. It’s very difficult to remonstrate with MRAs about this – so I generally don’t. The thing is, they *want* to believe this. They *have* to believe this to justify their idiotic stances and appalling convictions.

Bagelsan
Bagelsan

Sometimes people just get falsely accused of random stuff; it sucks but the whole point of our legal system is pretty much not to let that slide. And honestly, when I was falsely accused of stealing a toy in 3rd grade by a “popular kid” posse my life was ruined more than the lives of most men accused (and not convicted) of rape. 9_9

shaenon

Yeah, I know, in an infinite universe all things are possible, but NWO himself has no idea how his Gorean utopia could possibly come to pass. He wants women rounded up and each of us parceled off to a male slaveowner, but he wants it done without the help of the hated Big Daddy government. So…who is doing the parceling here? Then there’s the idea that everyone will just go along with this, and no man will say, “Um, sorry, I don’t actually want responsibility for this random woman you dropped on my doorstep,” and…

See, I’m already putting more thought into it than he has. He has no idea how this would work. He just wants to sit in the middle of the street and cry that nobody will do it for him.

Hell, even a lot of MRAs wouldn’t go along with this plan. Some of them are Going Their Own Way and want nothing to do with women, some of them are PUAs and the slave system would interfere with their need for lots of single women to harass, Anthony Zarat just wants a robot girlfriend, MRAL would get pissed at his lady-slave for spitting on him, and so on.

Wetherby
Wetherby

Indeed. And falsely accusing someone of rape is quite rightly recognised as a serious crime with serious consequences. In fact, sometimes it doesn’t even matter if a named individual is accused – in a recent case in Britain, a woman who couldn’t even identify her alleged rapist was given a sixteen-week suspended prison sentence and 200 hours community service (i.e. compulsory unpaid work) after belatedly admitting that she made the whole thing up. The official charge was “wasting police time”, since they spent dozens of hours trawling through CCTV footage and forensically examining the location of the alleged rape.

In those rare cases where identifiable individuals are falsely accused, the penalties for their accusers can be very severe indeed, including substantial prison sentences. And since these cases are usually given maximum publicity by the kind of tabloid newspapers that would like to pretend that false rape accusations are much more common than they actually are, these convictions are accompanied by maximum public humiliation.

So what exactly is in it for the accusers? A false accusation will guarantee hours of detailed questioning by suspicious detectives (indeed, their job is to be suspicious and look for holes in the story), humiliating physical examinations and the possibility of far worse if the accusation is proven to be false. And while I accept that a small number of women might not think this through beforehand, it’s so clearly a massive risk that it’s not at all surprising that very few such cases actually make it to court – in most cases, a single glaring inconsistency at the police interrogation stage is enough to persuade them not to take it any further.

Pam
Pam

You know that he’s missed the point and won’t admit that he’s wrong when he employs his tricky sleight-of-hand, engaging in his version of “Zero Sum”, which he appears to think is some kinda Milton Bradley game for the interwebz.

no more mr nice guy

Here’s an other example of a guy that agree with the False Rape Society : It’s a guy that say that provocative female attire is an assault against men :

Wetherby
Wetherby

Norwegian rape apologist Eivind Berge is convinced that ‘rape’ doesn’t exist unless the woman explicitly tries to fight off her accuser, regardless of the fact that such an action might well leave her in an even worse position. He also thinks that men who are sexually abused by women are “lucky”.

In fact, this was the guy who got me interested in MRA pathology in the first place, especially when he let slip that he’d barely been laid throughout his entire adult life, a detail that underpins pretty much everything he writes. He seems to have a girlfriend now, but that hasn’t stopped him from writing screeds with titles like ‘Does the Emancipation of Women Always Herald Civilizational Collapse?’

Wetherby
Wetherby

Sorry, when I said ‘accuser’, I obviously meant ‘attacker’.

Pam
Pam

@no more mr nice guy,

And one commenter there is spot-on just with this sentence alone:
“Face it, if women were walking around in burkas, you’d be complaining about that too.”

Joanna

“@NWO

“Men don’t say women should expect to be raped, they say women who are sluts should be treated like sluts.”

Especially in this context ‘treated like sluts’ sounds suspiciously like an euphemism for rape to me.”

While we’re sticking with gender equality here, I consider any overtly promiscuous man a slut. Any guy that cat-calls, makes the first move, harasses or even rapes women is a slut. Any guy who wears open collared shirts, tight jeans and too much cologne and hair gel, for the purpose of getting laid, is a slut. Any man who wants to skip right to sex on the first date is a slut. Any man who defines sex as the sole reason for his existence, is a slut. Did I miss anything here?

blitzgal

This convicted rapist did six years for assaulting his wife. Now after their divorce, the court has determined that she owes him alimony. Oh yeah, the courts are SO STACKED against the man:

And I already know the MRA response to this. He should have never been convicted of rape, right?

Joanna

What a scumbag.

Holly Pervocracy

Haha, I was out last night and missed NWO’s stunning interpretation of my post, the one where I called all men slavering beasts. What a shame.

Sorka
Sorka

Someone I know intimately was once falsly accused of sexual harassment. He had to leave his job and was extremely upset by the whole ordeal. Strangely enough, this did not make him conclude that all women are evil, that all sexual assault charges are false, or that all men are persecuted by society. You pretty much have to have it in you to become an MRA, being hard done by is not an excuse.

@Wetherby: Yes, Eivind Berge is pretty much as horrible as they get. Of course, he also doesn’t believe a husband should ever be able to be convicted for raping his wife, and thinks that the age of consent should be lowered to 12 or 13 years since it’s perfectly natural for all red-blooded males to want to sleep with “nubile young teens” (his words, NOT mine).

Seraph
Seraph

Morning, all.

I forgot to include the second part of my answer to Lyssatakeabow last night. While I’ve known one guy, maybe two, who’s been accused of rape…kinda…unofficially…not that anything came of it…I’ve known maybe six or seven women who’ve been raped (some who felt comfortable discussing it with me personally, some who surprised me at Take Back the Night events). If you lower the bar to include sexual assault, sexual abuse, coercion by a partner (i.e. saying yes because you don’t feel you have the option to say no), it starts to look like car accidents: everyone has one, it’s just a question of whether you walk away with a few bruises or end up in the hospital (or the ground).

Toysoldier

No, it is not. Rarely do people who make false rape accusations receive jail time, let alone prison time, and those who do often get suspended sentences. Most often the  false accuser only gets a talking to by a judge. The media coverage is at best minimal in most cases, and there is little, if any, public humiliation beyond the false accuser making an ass out of herself by making a false allegation.

So what exactly is in it for the accusers?

Attention, sympathy, support, revenge, and other egotistical machinations. The people who support female rape victims would never question a false accuser’s story, and would continue to support those women and their false stories even after they were proven false (see the feminist response to the Duke and Hofstra cases). Likewise, a rape accusation carries a lot of social weight, and depending on the status of the accuser and the accused, it can carry even greater weight. Most women who make false accusations do not expect anyone to question their story.

What usually catches them up is that there is no evidence to support their claim, and even then that only works in cases in which the alleged assault occurred recently. In older cases, it would mean nothing, which is part of the reason why false accusations of rape are so scary. A woman making a false accusation faces little risk. As long as the woman’s story sounds convincing and she does not make it up as she goes along, plenty of people will believe her and give her the emotional support or hate the falsely accused just like she wanted.  In that sense, it is the perfect crime because even if it is proved that the accusation is false, plenty of people, particularly feminists, will always believe “something” happened.

Joanna

“The people who support female rape victims would never question a false accuser’s story,”

No. I know of someone who claimed she was raped. Given her demeanor about the statement and her known attention seeking ways, everyone, including her boyfriend at the time was, skeptical. Everything is taken into account. Innocent till proven guilty etc.

Must be horrible living in that paranoia bubble of yours.

Seraph
Seraph

I think you may have something there. I can’t tell how many times I’ve heard someone – MRA or garden-variety misogynist – cite the “fact” that if a woman consents to sex, then tells the man to stop mid-intercourse, and he doesn’t stop within 30 seconds, it’s rape.

Of course, they’re outraged by this. It’s practically giving women a license to False Accuse men! It’s a trap! How can a man be expected to stop that quickly?

Meanwhile, I’m thinking of the times that a partner has asked me to stop. Almost without exception, it’s because something hurts. In those circumstances, 30 seconds is a long-ass time.