armageddon atlas shrugged cock blockade crackpottery creepy evil women I'm totally being sarcastic manginas men who should not ever be with women ever MGTOW misogyny oppressed men patriarchy sexy robot ladies the spearhead we hunted the mammoth

Will the coming apocalypse put bitchy ladies in their place?

Men: We all know how to wrestle bears.

Angry manosphere dudes sure do love them some apocalyptic fantasies! Which totally makes sense, since they all seem to imagine the apocalypse as little more than an opportunity to deliver a big “told you so!” to women and “manginas” and probably their pet goldfish.

Over on MGTOWforums.com, our robogirl-obsessed friend avoidwomen has been reposting assorted comments he’s apparently found on The Spearhead, and which he just loves, loves, loves! Unfortunately, he hasn’t provided links or any other information about them, and Google didn’t much help, so I don’t know who exactly should get the credit for the following bit of postapocalyptic fiction.

It’s sort of long, but I think you’ll pick up the gist of it right away. (It also sounds really, really familiar – have I written about it before, or is it just that MRAs and MGTOWers are so predictably unoriginal?) Are you sitting comfortably? Good. Let’s begin:

An economic collapse will put women in their place. Virtually no women have the skills necessary to survive in the real world. They can survive in this artificial politically correct, multi-cultural, anything goes, “death to the West, death to the white male patriarch” system that we are presently in….

As the economy declines even further the government will be forced to make massive cuts. … The first things on the chopping block will be entitlements, the sort of entitlements that have enabled women to use big government as a substitution for a stable nuclear family, a family they would only be able to have by behaving themselves and conforming to acceptable standards of behavior as determined by their fathers and later their husbands.

And now we come to the payoff:

In the near future women will be given the choice of starving in the street, finding some way to hunt/fish/garden on their own, or conforming to the standards men set for them and being kept alive by men who actually place value upon their continued existence.

Let’s throw some Ayn Rand into the mix:

This dysgenic society favors the weak and indeed it subsidizes the weak at the expense of the strong and the fit. … We are ruled by thieves who steal from the productive and give to the idiotic masses to keep themselves in office at the expense of the intelligent, the creative, the productive, the true movers and shakers of society.

Can I have some “we hunted the mammoth” to go with that “Atlas Shrugged?”

We build civilizations yet we are penalized at every step of the way in every aspect of our lives. Instead of being allowed to innovate, invent, and create, we are made to subsidize the recklessness of unworthy women, tens of millions of illegal aliens, and any other group that some clique of weak and effeminate politicians decides to cave to.

Hmm. That’s pretty good. But still not quite melodramatic enough. Can we add some big blustery clichés to the mix? Some “we stand on the edge of a precipice” sort of shit?

We stand on the cusp of the precipice, gazing down into the abyss.

Oh, ok. I didn’t expect you to take me quite so literally. But never mind:

After our civilization is pushed over the edge a new one will emerge from the void left by the collapse of the old one. All we have to do is make sure it is to our benefit rather than to our detriment.

And now, back to all those mean bitches who were so mean to us:

The prospect of starvation, death by exposure to the elements, or being turned into a prostitute by a street gang that openly dominates some X number of city blocks in the absence of big government police, should be amply adequate to put most women in their place.

You can almost hear the writer jazzing in his pants as he writes this.

The question is not one of “will they come crawling back to us” but rather, “how do we respond when they do finally come crawling back.”

Yeah, ladies, maybe we don’t want you after all!

Most of them are bitter, selfish, self-absorbed, idiotic, brain-dead, used up whores, and I have no need for such creatures in my life. They don’t know how to cook, how to clean, how to butcher livestock, how to till a field, how to cultivate crops, how to hunt game, how to fish, how to defend themselves in hand-to-hand combat, how to zero a rifle, in short they have no practical useful skills for existence outside of an artificial globalist “post industrial” financial/retail services economic structure.

Ooh! In your face, ladies who can’t cultivate crops and take down bears in hand-to-hand combat!

Did your feminism prepare you for BEARS? I think not!

In addition they don’t even know how to treat people, especially men, in a right and proper fashion.

Um. What happened to hand-to-hand-combat and all that survival-of-the-fittest stuff? This seems a tad, er, petulant.

I personally have no use for a bunch of used up whores who “had their fun” and now expect men who know what is what and have their act together, to put their lives on the line to keep them safe.

Ah, now we’re rolling again.

Screw you, whores! It’s all fun and games until the economy collapses and the BEARS show up!

Hopefully in the new society, the one on the way, women will be treated as perpetual minors with no contractual capacity and no right to ownership of property. … what we cannot achieve politically will be achieved socially and physically by the nature of the coming collapse/implosion.

Yep, ladies. It’s our way … or the BEARway! (By which I mean, “the highway, except that the highway is covered with BEARS!”)

Never forget, that at some point back in time, EVERYTHING women have they obtained from MEN, either via big government initiated wealth/resource transfers, or because men were foolish enough to dote on them in some hope of obtaining sex/sexual access (or even just the affections/approval) from some creature that was doubtlessly a used up whore.

So there you have it. Our glorious future!

I’m not sure how the robogirls fit in all this exactly. If the economy collapses and we’re fighting the BEARS in the streets, won’t that put a little dent in production of robogirls?

Never mind. That’s a mere detail. The important things to remember are:  Apocalypse soon, women screwed, men happy, BEARS.

Amanda Marcotte (@AmandaMarcotte)

Also, this useless modern woman knows how to make her own fertilizer and I know how to make yeast. I could probably even figure out in short order how to distill wine and beer—I’ve made my own before. I enjoy a little Farmer Jane stuff here and there and really like cooking, so I find the whole survivalist preening about what they “know” how to do really ridiculous. A lot of these skills are easy enough with a little practice. What they are primarily is time-consuming, which is the main reason people don’t engage in them anymore.

The exception is growing food. That is fucking hard. I’ve gardened before, and it’s a real beast if you grow more than herbs and some tomatoes.

Pecunium

ozy: I vote we start Manboobz City in the event of the apocalypse. I mean, we have a nurse and a couple of gun people and iirc some gardeners, we’re already several steps ahead than the keyboard jockey writing this.

I’m probably in. Tougher here in NJ than in Calif., but I can hope to return.

I have some skills, more to the point I have something better; far more useful.

Books

Pecunium

Hershele Ostropoler: Why do we need women hunting game if we’re hunting mammoths?

The women need to admit they don’t know how to hunt game, because the fact they can’t is why they will starve.

That list is interesting. Most of them are matters of interest, and most of those require practice. Zeroing a rifle is trivial. Using it well, is a bit different, and what it takes is practice. Most people don’t spend anywhere near the needed time to gain the skill in a way that doesn’t require steady maintenance. Even with all the time I’ve spent shooting in the past 39 years I’ve been doing it, I have to warm up some if I want to make good shots under pressure.

Tilling a field…. ooh… that’s hard work. It’s also a skill that requires either lots of help, or lots of other skills. One person, with a broke hoe, can do about a 1/4 acre a day. It takes either a good climate, and some specific knowledge of sympathetic planting, or a lot of acreage, to keep a family of four alive. The former can be done on about an acre and half, but three is better; that allows for some chickens/geese, and more variety in the vegetables, as well as some fruit treees; more “traditional” styles of “European” crop sets tend to need about 4 acres per person, with one lying fallow every year, which allows for pasturage for a couple of cows.

If one has horses, and the means to use a moldboard plow, one person can do 20-40 acres in a day. That ups the needed acreage, since horses need fodder, and there needs to be hay for the non-grass season, which means one has to know how to swing a scythe, and lay up a haystack (so that it doesn’t catch fire), and then a barn/hay cover, and trim hooves (or show them), as well as rig the plowing harness, etc.

and… it snowballs.

These guys are fools.

Pecunium

Baglesan: What if we turn all the bears into our Thug Lovers, and then cheat on all the men with them while the men support us, and then we have our Thug Lover Bears beat up all the dudes and take their wallets and their easily-accessible comestibles? IT COULD HAPPEN.

There are Inuit (IIRC) myths about just that thing.

Pecunium

Ozy: I think I am the secretary of war/defense. I am certainly the commandant of the militia/drill sergeant in charge.

Pecunium

Actually, Mert can have the SecDef slot. I want to be Warlord.

I am a bloodthirsty cuss.

I can think of four women who are going to come out on top in the apocalypse.

Pam
Pam

And these guys expect to survive because…? Of the awesome power of their cocks?

Yes, I do believe that that’s what they think, that being penis-bearers, all those skills will just come naturally to all of them.

KathleenB

Brewing is quite easy – you need:

-some kind of sugar
-water
-yeast
-containers, preferably ones you can put an airlock on to keep out wild yeast and mold, but in a pinch, just a cover and some venting should do.
-storage for the containers, at a temp that won’t kill the yeast
and
-time
-something to kill the yeast when it’s done is nice, but not necessary, as is a specific gravity measurer… thing. I’m sure there’s a technical name for it, but I’m blanking at the moment.

If you’re not picky, you can get something that’ll get you drunk in a month or so. I am, however, picky, and it would take some trial and error to get something nice.

Joanna

I highly doubt that a bunch of grown men whining on the internet have the slightest grasp of basic survival skills.

Amanda Marcotte (@AmandaMarcotte)

Actually, I’m fixing to start turning these corncobs I’ve got in the freezer to corncob wine. Would a bucket with cheesecloth work?

KathleenB

Pam: Sad but true. I really do not get this attitude that some guys have, that the sun rises and sets in their pants, and that mere possession of a penis somehow makes them awesome and that women should worship it, and by extension, them. Sigh.

Pyena

I just had a thought-

While it’s true that a lot of people would be screwed over in a situation like that, men and women alike, isn’t the knowledge of how to do a lot of that stuff recorded in books?

That is, even if somebody didn’t know how to butcher, couldn’t they read about it and learn? (They wouldn’t become competent overnight, but they’d have a start.) And couldn’t they learn from someone who has that knowledge anyway?

In my experience, when survival’s on the line, people tend to pick up things pretty quickly. Does this guy seriously believe women are incapable of learning to do something?

…stupid question. I wouldn’t be surprised if he does.

Amanda Marcotte (@AmandaMarcotte)

Clearly, the apocalypse will render people illiterate. Duh.

ithiliana: It’s The Winter’s Tale.

KathleenB

Amanda: You have two things to worry about with a brewing container: 1) letting the gasses the yeast makes out and 2) keeping contaminants out. Airtight is best- my husband suggests that if you can’t get a carboy and an airlock (around here it would be about $50), a jug big enough to hold your liquid with some space and a balloon over the mouth would work. Having some way to kill the yeast off when you’re done is good – I know they make some kind of powder the kills the yeast and makes it all sink down into the sediment.

Pecunium

This generally happens all by itself. Some yeasts are weaker than others (don’t use beer, or bread, yeast on grape juice).

A stronger yeast (say champagne) will brew a very dry beer/cider, but that’s not a real problem, they will go dormant/die when the run out of sugar. Weaker yeasts (beer/ale/bread) will die when the alcohol ratio gets too high.

If all you have is beer/bread yeast, grapes and apples will ferment, tolerably well, with the yeast on the skins (the “bloom”). Bad cider can be made into applejack.

Beer/whisk(e)y is a bit harder, as it requires an intermediate step, to convert the starches to sugars.

The tool you are talking about is a hydrometer.

Scruffy, the Janitor
Scruffy, the Janitor

The post-apocalyptic scenario is always a tantalizing fantasy for those that feel they have no power in their daily lives and hate it all.
However, if society did collapse, life would be even harder, and you would hate it MORE. If you think it sucks now, with all our electricity and internet and highway infrastructure and laws to protect property and citizens, prepare for it to suck 20 times harder.
If you can’t get on in the first world, what makes you think you’ll succeed in the third?
Maybe the people clamoring for strife and civil war should put their money where their mouths are and move to Somalia, or Mexico, or Syria. Then they can prove their superiority without having to wait around for the chance.

KathleenB

I’m actually running a post-apocalyptic WitchCraft game tonight, and so have given much thought to such survival – though in my world, all tech has stopped working and magic has become much more powerful*. My group is big into the whole problem solving thing, I’m sure they’ll launch an expedition to figure out how to change things back soon enough.

*Dies the Fire by SM Stirling was a big inspiration for me in this, and it’s a great series to boot.

KathleenB

Pecunium: The people I learned from actually double or triple brew their mead: they let it brew down to zero sugar, then add more until it’s strong enough. I think the yeast killer also forces the dead yeast beasts down into the sediment, to make them easier to strain out. They once had a batch where the yeast just would. not. die. This resulted in some consternation with our Baron and Baroness when a bottle gifted to them popped it’s cork unexpectedly. The mead was delicious, though.

And yes, hydrometer, thanks!

Can’t you make cider just by leaving a jug of unpasteurized apple juice out at room temperature for a while?

Skyal
Skyal

If I had the space & money, I’d be learning how to spin & weave right about now. I guess these post-apocalypse MRA’s will run around without blankets or clothes? Hope none of them live in Canada!

I suspect there wouldn’t be much cleaning going on after society collapses, so even if he were right about women not knowing how (& anyone with even half a brain knows he’s wrong), it wouldn’t matter. Cooking would likely be over a fire or under hot coals & you’d be happy to have warm food. Pretty sure the main problem would be making sure you didn’t burn everything.

As has already been pointed out, gardening is usually done by women already so I think MRA’s would be in trouble there. And there are lots of women out there who can shoot & butcher & raise animals. Maybe it’s just the circles I hang out in, but I know a lot of women who raise their own animals for food & wool. Heck, my mother not only raised animals as a kid, she also learned to shoot & had to dig her own outhouse for Girl Guide badges. I’m sure there’s lots of older folks like her would may not be able to physically do the work anymore, but have the knowledge they can pass on.

Skyal
Skyal

Great site on winemaking http://www.winemakingtalk.com/ A lot of people there have made some very odd things into wines.

KathleenB

katz: Without a way to vent, the jug will explode. Everywhere. Half brewed apple cider all over the fridge is… really, really gross.

Pecunium

katz: Yes, but the quality will be less than stellar. Juice apples and cider apples are not the same.

Kathleen: Are they just adding sugar? Do they like a really yeasty mead? Because if all they are looking to do is up the alcohol, it’s easier, and more reliable, to just dose with everclear/vodka.

If they are using a top-fermenting yeast, then a fining agent is easier than a filter, but I’d look to just find the yeast I want, and brew to that. The most any yeast can get to is about 16 percent alcohol and mead’s SG can be preset, so that it brews dry, or sweet.

I think they are looking for other effects, which is fine, but not needed for general brewing, and most decidedly not for honey based beverages, where the brewer has absolute control of the conditions.

KathleenB

Skyal: I’ve heard of maple syrup being brewed like mead. It doesn’t sound very tasty, but it’s been done. I’ve had meads with various things added, like fruit or herbs – some were very good, some (of gods, onion mead, don’t even get me started!) were very, very nasty.

Cordials are actually much easier, assuming you have something like vodka or brandy around. Equal amounts booze and fruit, let it sit, strain the fruit out when it starts to lose color, then add sugar or sugar syrup or other sweetening to taste. A friend made some strawberry cordial that was like liquid strawberry jam, didn’t even taste of booze at all – silent but deadly! She made it with really, really expensive brandy.

Shora

“They don’t know how to cook, how to clean, how to butcher livestock, how to till a field, how to cultivate crops, how to hunt game, how to fish, how to defend themselves in hand-to-hand combat, how to zero a rifle, in short they have no practical useful skills for existence outside of an artificial globalist “post industrial” financial/retail services economic structure.”

But men don’t live in this scarequote “post industrial” economic structure, oh no. They don’t go to restaurants or supermarkets, or use smart phones or microwaves. Nope, it’s only us squishy ladies. The MEN are all out hunting mammoth!

inb4 Not True Scotsman-type REAL men can zero a rifle/butcher livestock/hunt game and the rest are manginas argument.

OHSHIII
OHSHIII

Anonymous Mens’ Rights Jackhole sure seems convinced that when his fantasy apocalypse kicks in, so will a bunch of latent genes on his Y-chromosome, granting him (and all men) expert knowledge of all those things he was crowing that women couldn’t possibly know.

KathleenB

Pecunium: They’re adding honey – I think they have some kind of super yeast from her training master, but I could be wrong. I know he was rumored to have bred his own yeast that could survive pretty high alcohol concentrations. But i also think that might be something she’s not allowed or prefers not to discuss – have to keep some mystery, I suppose. Their brews are consistently some of the strongest I’ve had, at least among homebrews.

KathleenB

Oh, and the yeast killing is so they can add honey to sweeten. Why the hell did that take me so long to remember?

Spin? Weave? Everyone knows real men only wear the skins of animals they killed with their bare hands!

karak
karak

Things I do, in fact, know how to do reasonably well, despite my vagina:

cook (including a working knowledge of edible plants)
clean (I also have minor medical experience)
butcher livestock (I CAN FIELD DRESS A DEER)
how to till a field (had a giant garden growing up)
how to cultivate crops (I even know how to ROTATE them to prevent soil damage!)
how to hunt game (shit yeah I hunt game, I GOT game too)
how to fish (and how to gut the thing too)
how to defend themselves in hand-to-hand combat (they’re called testicles and they are weak)
how to zero a rifle (you got me here. I can kill squirrels, birds, and rabbits with a .22, though)

I can ALSO sew, crochet, spin wool, bandage wounds, can food, sharpen a knife, build a shelter, start a fire, fire an old-fashioned musket using powder I packed myself, and POISON YOU.

Come at me bro.

Skyal
Skyal

What was a I thinking, katz?! I wonder, do the animals wear the skins of the MRA’s who think they can kill animals with their bare hands, though? 🙂

I’d love to do more with wine making, but we haven’t had more than a couple bottles of my first & only batch & I made it when my husband was in hospital last summer.

Skyal
Skyal

And obviously that ‘a’ should be in the first sentence. *sigh* What I wouldn’t give for an edit button.

Pecunium

Skyal: It doesn’t take that much equipment to be able to cook fairly well over an open fire. I have most of it (and most of it is stuff I can use stove top too).

I’d like a woodburning stove, which is a bit trickier to make (or find), unless one is comfortable standing in front of something which is radiating at 300°F.

Those, perforce, also need a chimney, which means knowing how to do, at least, some carpentry (and metalwork, unless one finds 6″ sheetsteel conduit; just lying around.

I can spin, but I am so-so at it, and I don’t know more than basic theory on weaving. I am able to do basic knitting.

All in all, I can survive in a non-modern world, but it would require the “collapse” to happen in very late winter/early spring, or catching up with the supply problem of winter is going to require something fortuitous, a la the Pilgrim’s looting of caches in villages cleared by plague to make it to the next spring.

darksidecat

It is also worth noting that “individualism” is not a particularly good survival strategy. Humans are group animals and do very well cooperatively. Most small communities are just that-communities. And even fifty people that totally suck at everything under the sun will probably do better than one with skills when it comes to a fight. Strength in numbers, strength in co-operation. You don’t actually need a whole shit ton of redundancy, group work is much more efficient.

Men's Rights Activist Five-Star General
Men's Rights Activist Five-Star General

But as aforementioned, all this is moot because even if the collapse of civilization were imminent, it wouldn’t suddenly deposit us back in pioneer times.

tryptamine
tryptamine

I love how post-apocalyptic fantasies always have plenty of bullets.

Once the bullets run out, this supposedly useless woman will be making her own spears and atlatls. I bet I could figure out a bow and arrow pretty quickly, too.

Also, I may not know how to field dress a deer, but I do know how to preserve it without refrigeration so that everyone doesn’t get sick, plus which plants (’cause, you know, you’ll get sick and possibly die if your diet consists solely of meat) in my area can be used for food and how.

Moewicus
Moewicus

MRAL assumes that with the economy grinding to an apocalyptic halt, supermarkets will still be being stocked with food brought by truckers raised by farmers from miles away based on market signals and supplied with labor and fuel. Fat chance. There would be less and less all the time and the scavenging brutes not aligned with communities of both men and women would find themselves sidelined, marginalized and dead. Not to mention idiots trying to establish the He Man Women Hating New California Republic would find themselves at a loss compared to those that put the intelligence of the whole population to use.

Jill the Spinster
Jill the Spinster

So the MRAs want looting and hand to hand combat and the feminists are rotating crops, weaving, baking bread, canning and distilling alcohol? Hehe

hellkell
hellkell

“Those that can get it- which will invariably be MEN, the stronger, tougher, and more intelligent gender- will come out ahead.”

Uh-huh, MRAL. What makes you think your beta ass is gonna be in that group? You’ll be whining about how all the alphas took your Cheetos and Mountain Dew.

Hippodameia
Hippodameia

I think I’ll be at ground zero with Ithilana. I would not do well without modern medicine.

Pecunium

MRA GobbleydegookLol. In the event of the apocalypse, you d00ds do realize that “survival skills” won’t mean squat, korrect? The shell of civilization will remain, but social mores and government- the wymyn’s teat- will have collapsed. There will be ample food, ample drink, all for the looting. Those that can get it- which will invariably be MEN, the stronger, tougher, and more intelligent gender- will come out ahead.

Right….

And no.

If nothing else… Sam Colt still makes men equal. Women aren’t stupid, and people who sit still live longer.

Fools who come in to take, are likely to get shot. My mother (and my sisters, my female cousins, many of my girlfriends, etc.) are just fine at pulling a trigger, and if you can dodge a supersonic piece of lead… well you are a better man than I.

Since I don’t believe that, well you can finish the thought.

Teamwork, in such a situation, more than makes up for brawn and bravado.

Even if you were right (which is very much not the case) about women’s intellect, etc., the odds of a homosocial division of men and women is nil. So the women can be doing all manner of support roles (bandages, lookouts, etc.) while the men stand to the walls.

And you will get drilled from hundreds of yards away.

Because again, Sam Colt, so to speak, made men equal.

And the looting thing… ends pretty quickly. There is, at any given time, about three days worth of food in any given city. So, unless a huge number of the people die, and that in a hurry, the food is gone.

Water is a different problem, as is medicine (ever seen what happens when people get, “the flux”? I didn’t think so. Pedialyte isn’t exactly going to be showing up to deal with it).

Again, community is going to make all the difference. What happens to Mr. Stud-muffin when he sprains his ankle? Or breaks a finger?

I’ll take my chances with the stay in place types.

Amused
Amused

OHSHIII said: “I also noticed the glaring omission of “knowing how to make water safe”. Sounds like someone has little or no actual outdoors experience.”

That’s just it. Even with the extremely unrealistic assumption that “avoidwomen” knows how to till the soil, hunt, prevail in hand-to-hand combat, cultivate cotton or linen and make cloth from them — all using only neolithic tools and methods, of course — there is still the problem of soil and water. People who pine for the civilization’s collapse incomprehensibly assume that the post-apocalyptic world would magically revert to a pristine condition like at the dawn of time, and not only that, but water would be magically free of parasites and dingo piss, while the soil would supply endless nutrients to robust, reliable crops. In reality, the biggest long-term problem in a post-apocalyptic world would be contaminated soil and water, into which harmful chemicals from eroding infrastructures would leach for hundreds of years. So unless “avoidwomen” there can add designing and constructing an insanely sophisticated filtration/decontamination system to his list of useful skills, none of his other skills mean squat.

I note, also, how in all these longing Mad Max scenarios, people invariably forget to include the knowledge of medicine and pharmacology in their list of skills needed to survive the end of civilization. Perhaps it is because doctors, being college educated, are “elitists” and therefore not real men, or not real Americans, or something like that. But mostly, this stems from our instinctive expectation — the luxury of living in the 21st century — to be healthy and pain-free, and to have all our teeth right into old age. When we get sick, we expect the doctor to fix it. True, people know about the existence of chronic or terminal diseases, but we generally perceive being healthy and pain-free as the default state of being, pain and ill-health as a departure from the norm. In a world with no benefit of modern medicine, it’s actually the other way around — you would expect to be sick, in pain, and to die young. I hope “avoidwomen” knows how to prevail in hand-to-hand combat without sustaining a scratch (to say nothing of an open flesh wound or a fracture) — because in a post-apocalyptic wasteland, a scratch would be enough to kill you. Painfully.

A cute historical anecdote to illustrate this point: Sometime in the 10th century, Sigurd, Earl of Orkney, invaded the territory of the Picts, in Scotland, and fought one of the Pictish groups, led by a guy named Mael Brigte of Moray. Sigurd prevailed in this conflict and cut off Mael Brigte’s head, then tied it by the hair to the saddle of his horse. Alas, during Sigurd’s ride back to his camp from the field of the battle he had so gloriously won, with Brigte’s head bobbing up and down and bouncing around, one of Brigte’s teeth pierced the skin of Sigurd’s leg. Given the poor state of dental hygiene at the time, and the non-state of medicine, of course Sigurd’s wound became infected, and he died of septicemia — which, quite frankly, is probably a more unpleasant way to go than having one’s head chopping off.

thebionicmommy
thebionicmommy

MRAL, congrats on your promotion to a five star general. Anyway, I think looting would only be a short term strategy to survive an apocalypse. Even if you have no moral qualms about looting, it’s still not an easy way to live. It’s dangerous because people that produce their own food will probably defend themselves if people come attack them to steal the food. I can’t even count how many people here in Joplin spray painted “Looters will be shot on site” on the remains of their homes after the tornado. Why wouldn’t people do the same thing without police protection after an apocalypse? You also have to move all the time to find more people to steal from. Learning how to provide your own provisions and defend them would probably be a better survival strategy.

I’ll be honest. I don’t have the skills to survive without grocery stores, electricity, a Lennox heater, and the other modern conveniences I rely on. Those Internet tough guys really underestimate how much they rely on them, too. I had a brief glimpse at what life was like without that stuff after the tornado, and it sucked. It’s easy to talk a big game about how tough you are, but it’s only when push comes to shove that you find out what you can do in a real situation.

Pecunium

Tryptamine: Bullets will last awhile, so long as people don’t start shooting at each other. If all I had to do was hunt, I have a lifetime supply right now, adequate to feed myself, and several others.

The bow… would be a bit tricky. I’ve made them… non-trivial. The really good ones have some very non-intuitive steps (take the wood, and peel the bark… no tools) and then put the staff into a cool dark place for about a week.

Then they need to be shaved (not carved) into shape.

That’s for self-bows, for composites, it’s a whole ‘nother world

Bee
Bee

Y’know, my plans for the coming apocalypse all involve investing in several bricks of opium.

Or, y’know … kicking myself in hindsight for failing to invest in several bricks of opium, like I had planned. (And then dying.)