douchebaggery feminism idiocy men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny music racism rape rapey that's not funny!

Life Before Feminism: The future inspiration for Austin Powers records the worst song in history.

Peter Wyngarde will not make you horny, baby.

Sorry, folks, no regular post until tomorrow. But to tide you over, might I draw your attention to possibly the most offensively misogynist song in history? (Trigger Warning: I’m about to describe what is possibly the most offensively misogynist song in history.) It’s a song recorded in 1970 by British actor Peter Wyngarde – star of several 60s spy dramas and allegedly an inspiration for Austin Powers.

The music itself is not the problem – it’s peppy and punchy, and sounds like a lot of crime/spy soundtracks from the 60s and 70s. No, the problem comes from, well, it comes from Wyngarde. The star, as Bret at Egg City Radio points out,

chose not to go the easy listening/pop route, instead bizarrely delving into lurid and sometimes flat-out stupid spoken word interludes.

Not just stupid, but offensive. Really offensive. Case in point:

a little three-minute ditty entitled “Rape”, in which Wyngarde not only seems to extolling the virtues of rape, but also executes a handful of wheedling barf-bag racial stereotypes that would make even Jerry Lewis blush. It must be heard to be believed … .

Well, yes and no. The idea that back in 1970 some dude might think it hilarious to do a song that was basically one big rape joke? Not that shocking. That he might add some horrifyingly “funny” racism into the mix? Also not completely shocking. That the record is mixed in such a way that it is nearly impossible to tell what Wyngarde – an actor who presumably knows how to enunciate – is saying? Now that’s a little shocking. I would have thought the record executives behind this cash-in project would have hired a more competent producer.

You can download the whole album at Egg City Radio.

Did I mention that it’s titled “When Sex Leers its Inquisitive Head?”

EDITED TO ADD: Woah, the song is up on YouTube. I didn’t even bother to check, because I assume it violates pretty much all of YouTube’s rules, but here it is. Thanks to Donsie in the comments for the link.

Magpie
Magpie

There you go MRAL, a new post, just for you.

Magpie
Magpie

Note to self: read previous thread before commenting.

Paul Birchenough (@Akheloios)

An in the closet homosexual male makes misogynist statements in public? It’s hardly shocking after we’ve seen how many male homosexual politicians are the first to stand up against pro-choice, pro-equal rights, pro-marriage legislation. The misogynist, homophobic and ultra-patriarchal culture of the time was abhorent and that’s what this song stems from..

There’s no excuse for it though, he was an ass, but I will point out that the kharmic feedback seems to have caught him like all the other closeted male homosexuals that make overtly misogynist/homophobic comments in public solely to disguise the fact of their homosexuality.

Not long after this, at the height of his career, one of the top stars of television, he was outed and his career colapsed in ruins. He did nothing of note after that point till the camptastic 1980 film Flash Gordon, where, even then, he had to wear a mask.

Yeah, he’s to blame for making the song, but the misogynistic, homophobic, patriarchal society of the time demanded this sort of rubbish.

JUANDELACRUZ
JUANDELACRUZ

What’s ironic is he’s sure to have had more sexy fun time in his life than 99% of all nice guys in spite of, or even because of, his thuggishness/thuggery. Sigh…

VoiP
VoiP

JUANDELACRUZ, read what the poster above you just said. Twice if you have to.

Lyn
Lyn

Shorter Juan: “this thing I made up is totally ironic!”

JUANDELACRUZ
JUANDELACRUZ

His comment hadn’t appeared yet when I made my post. Blame the moderation 😀 And I miss the 70’s, such a shame I was born in the 80’s…

VoiP
VoiP

Honey, when a man and another man love each other very much, they have a special fun time together. Ask when you’re older.

Bagelsan
Bagelsan

You’re right! You and the other Nice Guys should do exactly what he does; I guarantee that the lot of you could collectively get laid more. And it turns the MRA sausage fest into a feature not a bug. 🙂

shesaidwut
shesaidwut

Okay, I think I’ve got the hang of this now.

NWO is completely out of touch with reality.

AntZ is too.

TAB is likely in touch with himself, at least, owing to how much he loves himself.

And JUAN is a great big racist, homophobic douchecanoe.

Have I got that right? Are there others I have had the pleasure (ahahahaha) of meeting yet?

ozymandias42

shesaidwut: Those are the only currently active trolls, but there definitely are others.

ozymandias42

Like MRAL! You forgot MRAL. He is the troll with serious problems who needed, and thankfully got, psychological help.

Magpie
Magpie

Don’t forget JUAN is a paedophile, and proud of it.

VoiP
VoiP

And JUAN is a great big racist, homophobic douchecanoe.

It’s possible he is also 12 and raised by Cylons.

Magpie
Magpie

I tell ya, NWO is building cyborgs, you could be pretty close with that theory 😉

JUANDELACRUZ
JUANDELACRUZ

I was born too late into a world that doesn’t care Oh I wish I was a punk rocker with flowers in my hair 😀

no more mr nice guy

To JUANDELACRUZ : it’ hippies that had flowers in their hairs, not punks, and punks despised the hippie lifestyle.

ozymandias42

Punks: anger
Hippies: love

Punks: The Ramones
Hippies: Cat Stevens

Punks: nihilism
Hippies: love

Punks: heroin and amphetamines
Hippies: weed and LSD

Punks: Pissed-off progressives.
Hippies: Happy progressives

hellkell
hellkell

You forgot DKM, who is also out of touch with reality, but very much in touch with himself.

TheTraducer
TheTraducer

Tales From the Cult Film Trenches by Louis Paul

Madeline Smith:

“Peter Wyngarde took quite a shine to me. He was a very, very shy chap, and we became friends. He used me, in the nicest possible way, as his escort, to a number of openings, and closings, and first nights, and things like that for quite a long time. In fact, I am even surprised we lost touch; he was quite a mate. Very, very shy, very, very nice, but a real gentleman.”

Ohiken
Ohiken

but I’m a hippie that loves punk music!

shesaidwut
shesaidwut

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! Right. DKM, yes.

Guess my mind blanked that experience out.

blitzgal

This time we can’t blame Juan. He’s quoting a song that came out in 2006. The lyrics were also highly mocked at the time, for the same reason we’re mocking them here:

BlackBloc
BlackBloc

Punks: heroin and amphetamines

Ahem. Me and my mates beg to differ.

“I’m a person just like you, but I’ve got better things to do
Than sit around and smoke dope, cause I know I can cope
Laugh at the thought of eating ludes
Laugh at the thought of sniffing glue
Always gonna keep in touch
Never want to use a crutch
I’ve got the straight edge”

ozymandias42

I’m edge too, but I’m talking to someone who can’t tell apart punks and hippies! I’m giving the easy version. 😛

cynickal
cynickal

Punks: Can’t afford to bathe
Hippies: Just don’t bathe

Bagelsan
Bagelsan

Punks: Can’t afford to bathe
Hippies: Just don’t bathe

Also works for graduate and undergraduate students respectively? :p

Societal Contract
Societal Contract

Madeline Smith:

Just goes to show what’s lurking behind the facade of a “very shy, very nice, real gentleman”.

TheTraducer
TheTraducer

That he’s gay?

Societal Contract
Societal Contract

“That he’s gay?”

No, that he’s an asshole.

TheTraducer
TheTraducer

I’m going to try this again.

That he’s gay?

TheTraducer
TheTraducer

No, that he’s an asshole.

I’ve never met the man.

cynickal
cynickal

@bagelsan
having dated a grad student, I’d say “yes”

Societal Contract
Societal Contract

“I’ve never met the man”

You don’t have to. Just listen to the audio of his song “rape, rape, rape…”

The link has been added by David so scroll up and have at it.

TheTraducer
TheTraducer

You don’t have to. Just listen to the audio of his song “rape, rape, rape…”

I can’t make it through the whole thing.

Donsie

Happy to help. I just really didn’t want that on my HD, like, ever.

Hershele Ostropoler

Ozy:

Punks: The Ramones
Hippies: Cat Stevens

I like both …

ozymandias42

As do I!

samuel2112

I have been busy with my blog bee. I cannot let you guys kick me out of here. But Ithilia pissed me off very much. Women and men feel free to comment on my blog.
Lets see how many people here comment. My partner on the blog is a feminist

samuel2112

Bee I cannot let you win, I have to be here. I have to hang in here.Ithilia angered me. She pissed me off. But it’s all good

John D
John D

A strangely entertaining song. Thanks for sharing.