creepy men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny MRA rapey reddit statutory rape apologists

Again with the 14-year-old girls

Was Aqualung a Men's Rights Redditor?

So a bunch of the regulars on Reddit’s Men’s Rights subreddit have their collective knickers in a twist about dudes getting called “pedophiles” just for saying they think 14-year old girls are hot. Because that’s “ephebephilia,” dontchaknow, not pedophilia! And besides, thingsarebad argues

Normal heterosexual males will generally have sexual attraction for pubescent females of child-bearing age, from puberty till they start to get old and gross (late 20s, early 30s usually haha).

That’s pretty much “eww.” But so is the rest of the discussion, really, from this “joke” about all women being as immature as children to this heavily upvoted claim that feminists have created a “pedo-scare … to criminalize healthy and normal male sexuality,” to  this Evo-Psych-flavored argument for lowering the age of consent.

Is it just me or are dudes who get indignant when people don’t carefully distinguish between ephebephilia and pedophilia just really really creepy?

Is “the right to lust after underage girls without having to feel icky about it” really a Men’s Rights issue? Why this preoccupation with 14-year-old girls, on r/mensrights and Reddit generally?

JUANDELACRUZ
JUANDELACRUZ

Rutee, why such vitriolic profanityy? Name-calling is just so undignified, even for a forum this, don’t you think? Especially, since the posts you are replying does not contain any flames, it seems uncalled for you to flame in response. Tch tch tch, what a firecracker of a harridan you are hehehehehehe.

KathleenB
KathleenB

JUANDELACRUZ: If you get to bitch about swearing, I get to bitch about you being an asshole. So, please refrain from asshole-ish behavior from now on. (defending sex with minors is definitely asshole behavior, btw.)

Lyn

Naw, the troll thinks that people on this forum are RUDE and use RUDE words! Omg – the poor sensitive soul who defends adult’s *right* fuck 14 year olds has been offended. Whatever shall we do?

Ninja’d!

I dunno, Juan, if you stick your dick in a willing teenager, she might yell “Omigod!” or, heaven forbid, “Fuck me!”

JUANDELACRUZ
JUANDELACRUZ

So you say, but the problem with that position is WHAT IS A MINOR (SEXUALLY-SPEAKING) DIFFERS FROM STATE TO STATE, BETWEEN DIFFERENT COUNTRIES AND EVEN WITHIN COUNTRIES E.G. U.S.A itself. For instance, what would be perfectly legal and non-criminal in say, Germany or Italy, would be illegal in the USA or Canada. So, does this mean that I would be an asshole in Europe, but not in America? Or if I am an asshole in America, that means I must be an asshole everywhere else in the planet? Hah, US dollars may be the current universal financial standard. but I assure you, US morals is not the current universal ethical standard, at least when it comes to age of consent, if you don’t realize…

Lyn

OMG – you mean laws have to have bright line distinctions between what’s legal and what isn’t, and that these laws differ in different parts of the world? No!? You know, in some parts of Europe you can smoke and buy pot and in others it’s illegal? Woah!

Juan, you’re right about age of consent laws not being set in stone, that these things are not objectively determined. Still, we’re saying here that fighting/arguing for the right for much older men to fuck fourteen year old girls is a disturbing thing to do. Because there is a power imbalance in this situation (the power imbalance also occurs when a much older woman has *sex* with a 14yo boy as well), such that it’s difficult to see how an equitable relationship can be sustained with the difference in experience – it is, in short, a situation that is ripe for abuse. And that’s bad.

Things Are Bad

Any gals here? What do you darlings think of my gravatar pic? http://en.gravatar.com/jeremiahmra

Now keep in mind, this is the photo of a man who admits that normal heterosexual males are attracted to women. I happen to actually be engaged to one of them who is 4 years younger than me, and I’m in my late 20s.

Things Are Bad

Did I forget to mention my fiancee is not a crazy man-hating feminist fighting against men’s and boy’s rights? Must be why I like her. Lol.

Enjoy, bottom-dwellers.

Lyn

So, reading between the lines, TAB thinks he’s HAWT. FYI, looks not exactly the most important thing about a person. I don’t care if a guy looks like Brad Pitt (that’s for MRAL, if he’s lurking!), if he’s a misognyist jerk I’m not going out with him! Cos, y’know, I have enough self-esteem problems without going out with someone who hates me because of my gender…

Things Are Bad

Yes, many (but not all, obviously) women find me enormously attractive, especially when considering my intelligence, sense of humor, and charm. But you see, I actually don’t hate women. It just amuses me that man-haters here are so willing to label men they don’t know as bottom-dwelling perverts, when really we’re merely normal heterosexual males who just don’t take kindly to having their quite normal sexuality demonized, just as you would not in our position. I’m an intelligent, attractive male who has no problems with women, but I do have a serious problem with misandry, which the man-hating women and pussy-worshipping males who support this website appear to have a penchant for. The sexism here makes me ill, so don’t be surprised when I respond with disgust at your behavior.

darksidecat

@catuar, that post was wonderful.

@Juan, how young exactly do you think the age of consent should be for a child to have “sex” with an adult? Five year olds? Eight year olds? Eleven year olds? How much of a hardship do you really think it is if an adult is legally banned from sex with those under 14 or those under 16?

Things Are Bad

I also don’t *really* think all women above the age of 25 are old hags; I simply wanted to point out the ridiculousness of older women thinking they can compete with young college students in the looks department. Seeing as our culture has convinced most people to believe that it’s sick for an old man to get involved with a young woman, whereas old women who get involved with young women are glorified as cougars, consider my response a result of my angst toward the hypocrisy of this society. Just today on the VMA awards I saw a 60+ year old women tell a young man that she was DTF (Down To Fuck) him. Laughter abounded, though the young man seemed somewhat uncomfortable. I imagined the response if the sexes were reversed, and laughed at the ridiculousness of this blatantly sexist society – against men and boys.

Yoon
Yoon

For someone who doesn’t hate women, you do an amazing impression of someone who does. Are you an actor?

To be honest, it’s very difficult for me to take a man who thinks misandry is a real problem, feminists are “man-haters” and then claims in the same breath to have no issue with women (just with us wanting rights, apparently) seriously.

I’m not going to comment on your photo, since I don’t think insults about your appearance have any place in this discussion.

KathleenB
KathleenB

Enjoy, bottom-dwellers.

I grew up next to (not in) a lake. Several lakes, in fact. I know what bottom dwellers look like, and no one here is one. (and really, the lowest for of life in the Great Lakes doesn’t actually live on the bottom, they’re called zebra mussels, and they’re evil, nasty invasive critters that are as sharp as knives. i have the scars to prove that)

… penny in the air

… penny drops

Oh, you meant proverbial bottom dwellers! Sorry, your sarcasm nearly flew over my little ladybrain.

JUANDELACRUZ
JUANDELACRUZ

[blockquote]such that it’s difficult to see how an equitable relationship can be sustained with the difference in experience – it is, in short, a situation that is ripe for abuse. And that’s bad[/blockquote]

And yet Hugh Hefner continues to have his own ever-replenishing harem hehehehehe…

Seriously though, do all intimate heterosexual relationships have to be perfectly equitable in order to be happy? Even in America alone, they have the Taken In Hand/Promise-Keepers for the religious far-right and BDSM/Gor for the secular far-left.

Yoon
Yoon

I don’t really like BDSM being lumped in with Goreans, since BDSM (when done right) is based around the idea that both partners are inherently equal and one partner chooses to relinquish control some of the time because they enjoy it. Goreans, in my experience, are of the mindset that a) the submissive partner is always female and b) they relinquish control because they’re naturally programmed to be second class citizens to men.

Ami Angelwings

What part of your normal sexuality do you feel is being demonized? o:

PosterformerlyknownasElizabeth
PosterformerlyknownasElizabeth

KathleenB
KathleenB

Juan: And yet he manages to fuck women who are of age! Funny, that. (I don’t disagree about the power dynamics there: he literally holds all the cards – controls their money, transport, usually future employment, etc. That’s not an equitable relationship and I would argue that the inequality verges on abusive, except each and every woman in that mansion should bloody well know what they’re getting into, and are all of legal age to sign away those rights. I don’t like it, but it’s their choice.)

No, no human relationship is every going to be perfectly equitable. But equality in sexual relationships should involve: Consent (obvs), equal power (one person not able to use work, play or pictures to coerce the other into sex), and – possibly – equality of experience, but that’s my own choice.

HTML tags need to be in brackets, btw. I know the straight ones work on some sites (and confusingly, not all the ones that use square bracket accept the pointy ones, despite the pointy one being HTML standard. lo, the oddities of the internet).

KathleenB
KathleenB

Okay, the renderer vanishes pointy brackets that aren’t even attached to code? Eh, what a pain.

Lyn

“Seriously though, do all intimate heterosexual relationships have to be perfectly equitable in order
to be happy?”

Well, I guess it depends on your definition of ‘perfectly equitable’. I, for instance, think that mutual respect is required for happiness in a relationship. Also mutual care, trust, etc. This would be how I would define perfectly equitable – this does not mean that each partner is the *same*, as it is in fact better if partners bring different skills and knowledge to the relationship. However, I think that mutual respect for each others’ abilities and agency is not going to be easy when one partner is 30 and the other is 14.

JUANDELACRUZ
JUANDELACRUZ

Oh, btw, 14 seems to be reasonable, since it did work for that utopia, Canada, for the longest time, until the Conservatives changed it fairly recently.

Things Are Bad

“What part of your normal sexuality do you feel is being demonized? o:”

Will you ever let go of your childish use of silly faces? 😛

Everything about normal heterosexual male sexuality is demonized. Men are perverts for being attracted to young, fertile, attractive women. Men are perverts for being naturally polygamous. Men are perverts for not valuing status to the degree that women do, rather focusing on fertility and physical beauty. Men treat women as sex objects (let’s not talk about the fact that women treat men as status objects).

Are you really this blind?

Things Are Bad

“Thingsarebad, why would you say that about your soon to be over 25 year old fiance? Are you getting a divorce the day after she hits 26? Or will you be kind enough to wait until she turns 30 before you dump her?

Because to say something so nasty about the woman you presumably love is disgusting.”

She’s well aware about how I feel about her. I will be with her until the day I die because she is a good, faithful woman, and I adore her. But she will lose her attractiveness at some point; I merely value her person more than I do her physical body. To be honest, I’m more attracted to who she is than how she looks.

But most women who are old and think they still deserve my attention- no thanks. They lack personality AND they lack looks, and that is not a combination that will garner even a glance from me.

Yoon
Yoon

Nobody is demonising men for being attracted to young, attractive women. (14 year old girls? Not women.) I completely disagree that men are naturally polygamous, so we’ll skip over that. I also disagree that men don’t value status and women do, and think the claim that men value fertility to such a high degree is similarly ludicrous (hey, say you meet a woman who’s absolutely stunning and clicks perfectly with you in every way – but she’s infertile? I’m gonna guess you wouldn’t be too hasty to break it off based on that alone).

Lyn

“Men are perverts for not valuing status to the degree that women do, rather focusing on fertility and physical beauty. Men treat women as sex objects (let’s not talk about the fact that women treat men as status objects).”

Things Are Bad

“I also disagree that men don’t value status and women do”

Well, you see, Yoon, that I never said that. I said that men don’t value status TO THE DEGREE THAT WOMEN DO.

“(hey, say you meet a woman who’s absolutely stunning and clicks perfectly with you in every way – but she’s infertile? I’m gonna guess you wouldn’t be too hasty to break it off based on that alone).”

Um, see the above. You do have an IQ above 100, I hope?

Things Are Bad

“OK, but looking at that from a feminist perspective, we would argue that men and women are valued differently. Women are told that their value lies in being sexual objects – being beautiful. Or perhaps in our ability to create other people – not necessarily for being people ourselves. Men, by contrast, are valued for having good jobs, power, money, being strong etc.

Is it really surprising then, in this culture which feminists are trying to change so that people are all viewed as human beings, that men *tend to* value women for their physical attrativeness and women *tend to* value men for their ‘status’? I’m not saying that this is right, I’m saying that when it is the case it is more to do with anti-feminist constructions of men and women than with feminists demonizing male sexuality.”

Women *are* viewed as human beings, and they always have been. Women’s survival has always been more important than men’s and even children’s – looking the statistics for the dead on the Titanic. http://www.avoiceformen.com/men/mens-issues/titanic-day-ll/

The feminist ideal is not that women are viewed as human beings, as women are already viewed as above men. It’s that women are given even further special privileges and entitlements, while men are viewed as sub-human.

On to another point.

Men and women *are* valued differently, dependent on what they contribute. Men are often valued for their sacrifices, for their physical prowess, for their ability to handle situations, their physical beauty, while women are often valued for the same things, though perhaps in different ratios.

Men are treated as status/utility objects while women may be treated as objects of sex appeal (as always, I mean for both of these examples that this is most often the case, not always: a woman who kicks ass in her career is seen as kick-ass, not as a sex object, just as man who fucks a bunch of chicks is seen as a sex object, not as successful in the typical sense).

Yes, men and women tend to be valued differently. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with this. Men and women *are* different.

Lyn

“Men don’t really value fertility – they value hot bodies and cute faces, which are indications of fertility and good DNA, whether you like it not.

Um, see the above. You do have an IQ above 100, I hope?”

Quoted for disingenuousness. You did not, initially, say that men value hot bodies and cute faces which are incidentally indications of fertility – you said they valued fertility. So you clarified your position, then quoted someone who refuted your original position and implicitly called them an idiot for not knowing, through telepathic communication or something, what you meant.

Things Are Bad

“I completely disagree that men are naturally polygamous”

Lol, forgot to include this. You obviously have no idea what male sexuality is about. No wonder you’re so confused.

PosterformerlyknownasElizabeth
PosterformerlyknownasElizabeth

Thingsarebad, you said looks-not looks and personality. You are moving the goal posts.

Yoon
Yoon

Well, though I’m sure you know more about what women want than an actual woman, I don’t value status. I don’t care about it. Neither do any of the women I know. When we discuss men, do you know what we talk about? We talk about – surprise! – cute faces and hot bodies. Then we talk about whether he’s funny, or has good manners, and also about whether or not he seems angry and bitter with women for existing.

I’m assuming when you say “status” you mean job, money, power. Yes, women did value that very highly in the past, because a woman was forced to rely on her parents and then on her husband in order to survive. If you update your view of the world to 2011 you’ll find we don’t really care anymore.

Lyn

Not the Titanic thing again! It is, at best, questionable evidence for your argument that women have *always* been viewed as human beings. Were they viewed as human beings when denied the vote or the ability to own land or to go to university?

The ‘women and children’ first thing, was, I would argue, about women and children being viewed as similarly weak and vulnerable, and men as strong and chivalrous. You might be aware of the meme, ‘patriarchy hurts men too’ – and this is one of the instances.

Things Are Bad

Sorry, Lyn, but you’re wrong.

I said, specifically, the following: “Men are perverts for being attracted to young, fertile, attractive women.”

I did not say men valued fertility, but that they are attracted to women who are young, fertile, and attractive. Implicitly, this means most of the time. Most of the women that men are attracted to are young, fertile, and attractive. This does not necessarily mean that men are attracted to fertility – though I would say that men are attractive to young and attractive women who *seem* to be fertile.

Honestly, my dear, I’m of the same opinion as codebuster of The-Spearhead, that the idea that men and women are attracted to each other because of biological need, directly, is preposterous. Men don’t like women because they are fertile! Men like women because they are fucking sexy (sometimes). It just so happens that we evolved to think that women showing the signs of fertility are sexy. An old hag who can’t bear children is usually not that attractive to men.

“Do you have an IQ above 100? Expecting people to magically understand your point ahead of you actually clarifying it indicates sub-par intelligence to me.”

Honestly, it’s hard being a genius in a world of idiots. I have to clarify points that should be blatantly obvious, but to most imbeciles they are not. 🙂

Things Are Bad

“Were they viewed as human beings when denied the vote or the ability to own land or to go to university?”

Well, they weren’t. Land owners were granted the right to vote. Not male land owners. Land owners.

Women also gained the right to vote without being subjected to the draft. So unlike men, who fought and died for their right to vote, women got it free o’ charge. As is so often the case, women got their rights without the associated responsibilities. And it’s so weird that women and men alike fought for the right for women to vote, but not the right for women to fight and die in war against their will. Hm!

“The ‘women and children’ first thing, was, I would argue, about women and children being viewed as similarly weak and vulnerable”

And obviously, women endorse this view. Women endorse the idea that they are special, privileged little girls who have little to no responsibility for their actions when it suits them. At the same time, they endorse the idea that they should have all the rights of men, who are actually responsible for their actions.

Women demand special treatment. They demanded – and accepted – that they got special treatment over little fucking children on the Titanic. They demand – and accept – that they get special privileges over men in college, in the legal system, in every aspect of society.

There are a few women out there who point these imbalances in favor of women, and the resulting demonization of men and boys, out. Maybe you should read them sometime.

Planning on having children someday? Read Christina Hoff Sommers’ “The War Against Boys”.

Lyn

Uh, you brought up fertility as one of the three main things men are attracted to in women – and contended that society apparently thinks that men are perverts for thinking this. If fertility isn’t that important, why bring it up? And we’re supposed to know by magic that you think it’s less important than the other two things you listed?

Again, if you clarify your point and then call someone an idiot for not getting the point that you just clarified…well, that’s shifting the goalposts, among other things.

Things Are Bad

“Uh, you brought up fertility as one of the three main things men are attracted to in women”

No, I didn’t. Do you not understand the English language?

I said the following, quite clearly:

“Men are perverts for being attracted to young, fertile, attractive women.”

This not me saying that fertility is “one of the three main things men are attracted to in women”.

Jesus. Seriously, do you not understand the English language?

mayfly
mayfly

I’m just going to leave this study here.

Key quote: “True to the stereotypes, the initial self-reports of male participants indicated that they cared more than women about a romantic partner’s physical attractiveness, and the women in the study stated more than men that earning power was an aphrodisiac,” said Paul Eastwick, lead author of the study and graduate student in psychology in the Weinberg School of Arts and Sciences at Northwestern.
But in reality men and women were equally inspired by physical attraction and equally inspired by earning power or ambition. “In other words good looks was the primary stimulus of attraction for both men and women, and a person with good earning prospects or ambition tended to be liked as well,” said Eli Finkel, assistant professor of psychology at Northwestern. “Most noteworthy, the earning-power effect as well as the good-looks effect didn’t differ for men and women.”

Things Are Bad

>If fertility isn’t that important, why bring it up?

Jesus.

Okay, let me explain. *Perceived* fertility is important. Superficial perception of fertility. Understand yet? What appears to be the signs of fertility to a normal heterosexual male happen to be the same things that attract normal heterosexual males. Are you completely bamboozled by feminist propaganda?

Think for yourself, God Damn.

Lyn

When women are denied the ability to own land, and owning land is required to vote, that then means that women can’t vote. It’s not hard if you think it through.

Also, women didn’t demand that right to get on the boats first. In the situation where the phrase was coined, soldiers insisted that women get on the boat first: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Birkenhead_%281845%29

As to the draft = vote thing – do men have to risk their lives in childbirth to create more citizens? Not so much. Also, not allowing women to fight is part of a sexist policy, not a feminist one – it is predicated on an understanding that women are inferior and that their main function is to create babies. I do not support forcing anyone of either gender to fight, but I do support the right of both genders to volunteer to fight.

And, I’m a woman, and I don’t want any special treatment – I want to be respected for my ideas and arguments and abilities, such as they are. That means that, if I’m raped, I would like to go to a courtroom where my voice was heard and respected rather than being dismissed as unreliable because I don’t live up to some mythical understanding of how women should be.

I’ve also read plenty on the subject, thank-you. I disagree with many of the women and men who argue that women are privileged in our society – after reading about the systematic denial of women’s voices, reproductive rights, sexual autonomy throughout much of history.

Things Are Bad

“But in reality men and women were equally inspired by physical attraction and equally inspired by earning power or ambition.”

I’ll happily admit that men are attracted to women for their personality (power or ambition), not just their physical attractiveness. But it’s well-known, and easily proven, that far, far, far, far, far more men would date a woman without a job, than women who would date a man without a job.

The vast majority of the homeless are men. Why? Because men are happy to take in homeless women, while women are not willing to take in homeless men.

It should be obvious that women are far more “inspired” (turned on by) power or ambition.

Flib
Flib

Pro-tip for you TAB: Creating a straw feminist to argue against isn’t a powerful argument. It just makes you a fucking idiot. Also, the Titanic has been done to death. Seriously, find a better argument that indicates power and privilege across a swath of history. Not patriarchal ideals hurting everyone.

cactuartamer
cactuartamer

Christ, Things Are Bad. We all understand what you were trying to say, whether we agree with it or not, the issue was the actual clarity with which you expressed that initially. There is no confusion! FFS, stop being obtuse.

And on another point. It’s not “men are polygynous”, it’s “humans are polyamorous.” Women catch quite a bit more flak for acting on that, so I’m not sure why you think stigma for this is some special snowflake cross men, and men alone have to bear. The MRA community certainly does it’s share of bitching that women don’t stick with only one partner for life.

Plus, the only time I actually see anyone criticize men for this is when they are not being honestly polyamorous, but trying to have their cake and eat it too by pretending to be monogamous.

cactuartamer
cactuartamer

Damn italics tags.

Yoon
Yoon

Things Are Bad, condescendingly calling women who dare to disagree with you “my dear” and getting frustrated when they don’t interpret what you say in a way that paints you in a sympathetic light will not win you any points. Please try to engage with the women debating with you as if they are human beings on the same level as you, because right now you’re treating us like stupid little children.

On a similar note, I’m quite sick of men who have never been and never will be drafted crying about the draft. Once you’ve been drafted, then you can use it as proof that you’re discriminated against.

Things Are Bad

“When women are denied the ability to own land”

Lol.

“In the beginning, almost no one could vote. It was a right reserved for a few older white males who owned land, which left almost all men and a lot of other people out of the picture. This doesn’t say anything particularly special about women. So if this constituted oppression, then it meant that nearly everyone was oppressed. Maybe the early Americans didn’t catch on to that one because they were too busy celebrating their new found freedom.”

“The same was true for owning land. Plenty of women weren’t allowed to…for a while, anyway. It probably had something to do with the fact that it was men who had to have land on which to build women homes, or perhaps they figured that men who were expected to face bullets in order to protect that land might be better, more deserving keepers of it.”

“As to the draft = vote thing – do men have to risk their lives in childbirth to create more citizens? Not so much.”

That is such a ridiculous comparison that I might have to label you a complete misandric idiot.

“And, I’m a woman, and I don’t want any special treatment”

Huh-what??

Anyways…

“That means that, if I’m raped, I would like to go to a courtroom where my voice was heard and respected rather than being dismissed as unreliable because I don’t live up to some mythical understanding of how women should be.

Oh God, please don’t play the rape card. We all know all women are raped repeatedly, every day. Oh, what? More men are raped than women every year? Half of all rape accusations (by women, at least) are false? Huh-what?

“I disagree with many of the women and men who argue that women are privileged in our society”

Oh, God Damn right you are privileged, you stupid cunt. Imagine the response if you were a man and I had just called you a stupid dick. Lackluster. But boy, I called you a stupid cunt, and just because you are a man-hating twat! I must be a misogynist, who hates women only! No, bitch, women *are* privileged, and you love it.

Flib
Flib

And TAB has truly proven that he is a misogynistic asshole who can’t engage in any reasonable discourse for his head is so far inserted into his own ass that he must wear sunglasses to protect the shining ignorance that permeates his entire core.

shaenon

So, TAB, your fiancee knows that you consider her a “privileged little girl” who shouldn’t have the same legal rights as a man, that you don’t think she can compete with any given teenager in the “looks department” now that she’s an old hag of 25, and that you plan to cheat on her regularly (men are naturally polygamous and if she doesn’t accept that she just doesn’t understand men, right?)… but she still wants to marry you?

I agree with your plan to hang on to this one for dear life.

Things Are Bad

“And on another point. It’s not “men are polygynous”, it’s “humans are polyamorous.”

I found your comment the only one worth responding to. Men are polygamous, and women are hypergamous. Men and women are not the same, and they are not “polyamorous” to the same degree. Men’s natural polygamy, characterized as “sex addiction” by the mainstream media and women who think their SO’s shouldn’t masturbate to other women (almost all western women), is, like I said, natural. Just as women’s hypergamy, meaning they seek out high status men who get their knickers wet, is natural.