antifeminism evil women misogyny MRA reddit woman's suffrage

I refuse to see dead people

We gave them the vote and they STILL won't shut up about it!

Apparently, all that time I spent studying history in college and grad school was a complete waste of time. Because once people die, nothing about their lives or the events that happened during their lives matters. At least according to merlin34 in Reddit’s Men’s Rights subreddit, who recently set forth this cogent argument as to  “Why feminists should SHUT THE $^%# UP about women’s suffrage in US/UK.

The 19th Amendment of the US Constitution was ratified in 1920, before that year’s election. At the time, the voting age was 21. Any woman who was denied the right to vote would have had to have been born before Election Day of 1898. Today, she would be 113+ years old. That means dead.

In the UK, it was in 1928 that women were granted equal voting rights to men, again at the age of 21 (although women over 30 were given the vote 10 years earlier). Any woman denied the right to vote based on sex in the UK would be over 105 years old now. There’s still probably some around, but not a lot, and not for much longer, and they weren’t denied the right to vote for long.

What does this have to do with anything? It means that feminists using the “women weren’t allowed to vote, wah” or “black men got the vote before women of any color” canards should SHUT UP, because the list of those actually denied the right to vote based on sex is rapidly diminishing. In another ten years, none will remain.

Naturally, the comments are also a delight. OThompson says:

You can also tell them that Suffragettes were often domestic terrorists.

AntiFeministMedia adds:

It isnt just feminists though is it, its any woman you get into an argument with.

If its not ‘women wernt allowed to vote’, its ‘rapists get off scott-free’. They ignore the context. When did universal sufferage for men go ahead in the UK? 1918?

Most women are ignorant of most of these issues, but they are happy to just parrot all this stuff because that makes them victims, and so they get privileges they arent really entitled to.

They dont care wether what they are saying is out of date, or that most men didnt recieve the vote untill very recently either, they only care that the female gravy train of victimhood keeps rolling on.

Is the Female Gravy Train of Victimhood anything like Soul Train? Because that would be awesome.

Bostonian
Bostonian

So Ion is saying that Ami is not attractive? She has a profile picture right there on her avatar…

shaenon

Guys, get your resident MRAs straight. NWO is the one who has fourteen-year-old girls totally coming on to him at the beach and seems to consider sixteen the upper age limit for a girlfriend (he’s in his fifties). Ion is the one who gave up on feminism because it didn’t get him laid, and now chicks dig his neggin’ ways. And MRAL is the bad-boy emo alpha male they both admire.

C’mon, Ion, give up the goods! If you’re really interested for some insane reason, photos of me are extremely easy to find online because a) I’m a moderately well-known cartoonist, and b) I’m one of like six people in the world named Shaenon. Try Google Images, that’s me. I look like a typical nerdy chick.

Your turn. Gimme something to work with when I’m writing my slash fiction.

Molly Ren

I was going to say something snarky to Ion about wanting nude pics, but then I remembered I already have a fair amount of nekkid pics on my blog. Ion can find the full length one with little trouble.

Thing is, Ion, I’m not conventionally hot. I’m fat and I have stretch marks and acne. This hasn’t stopped me from having sex partners in the double digits… and I STILL believe in equal rights for women and think that sexism sucks! Holy cow!

Maybe Ion needs to get his Game advice from me?

Rutee
Rutee

Ion, a ‘funny’ poster isn’t actually proof of your claim that only ugly women care about sexism. You make a truth claim, you substantiate it. Good luck with that.

Rutee
Rutee

And yes, I’m aware that that’s pretending that such a thing is even relevant to begin with, when I know damn well it isn’t. I’m just saying, you want to say only someone who’s ugly can find sexism offensive, you do the work of proving it true.

Why are you so convinced that I wouldn’t consider the examples you give as oppression, anyway?

Magical Laura (@_magical_laura)

Ohhh it was NWO. I need to start writing these down or something o_O Anyway, if the chicks dig Ion and his neggin’ ways why doesn’t he wanna show us his pic?

Bostonian, I think Jumbofish pointed out Ami last time Ion pulled this shit, but he just ignores anything that doesn’t fit in with his worldview. I’ve been duped into posting pics before in response to ‘FEMINISTS ARE UGLY’ and all they do is go ‘YOU ARE UGLY AS WELL!!!’ and refuse to show me their own photo, or just completely ignore me.

Shaenon, you’re super pretty 😀 Molly Ren, what I’ve seen of you from your blog is pretty hot 😉

Pecunium

Shaenon: I realise I’m not Ion, and so my opinion is worthless (just ask him, he’ll tell you) but IMO, you are totes easy on the eyes.

Molly: I’ve gone an looked at your photos too, and I realise I am not clued in on “fat”. Yes, you are larger than “ideal”, or something, but you aren’t what I think of as fat. Some of that is the oddity of how clothes make people look very different to the actual flesh and some of it is that my sense of “fat” is more than just “heavy/thick/overweight”.

And all in all, I’d say you are perfectly attractive; between a decent body, and a decent attitude, I don’t see any reason you’d not have any number of loves (casual or serious, as suits you).

NWOslave
NWOslave

@Katz
“Because immediately after saying that, you told us you didn’t consider Holly’s example as oppression?”

Well if you want every example you give as oppression than every example any man gives as oppression must be equally valid. Anytime a man is passed over for a job due to quotas/AA he is oppressed by laws enacted by women, his oppressors. The same for education, women are his oppressors. If he wanted equal child custody and didn’t get it the woman oppressed him and the laws that women enacted oppressed him, women are the oppressors. If he wanted an live child and a woman aborted his child a woman and the laws women enacted oppressed him, women are his oppressors.

Shall I continue?

Ami Angelwings

So now Ion’s become NWO w/ the whole questions and answers thing xD

He still hasn’t told us what he considers oppressive…. and it’s going about what I expected xD Ppl are chasing his tail… Every example is being dismissed. The attraction thing is even more hilarious since everybody has a different standard xD We dun even know what he finds attractive… he might be a guy who thinks nothing under Megan Fox is attractive… and does it matter? o_O Like am I supposed to be like “but I’ve gotten modelling jobs!” or “I’m a size 0!” or something? and that means.. I’m a better feminist than… Kirby? xD

Pecunium btw is hella hot :3 (and also v cool) :3

I’m guessing no answer is forth coming about what groups he would consider oppressed, or what’s considered oppression xD

Oh! BTW, Pecunium, I gave a shout out to you in the vid I made for Manboobz… it’s on the Forum 😀

Ami Angelwings

@Shaenon and Molly Ren I second and triple what ppl have said about you both being awesome and pretty :3

Bagelsan
Bagelsan

Portia de Rossi = gay, a self-described “staunch feminist”, and conventionally considered HOT AS HELL! 😀

Ami Angelwings

This is like the “prove to me that there are passing trans women” thing that happens a lot when you argue w/ transphobes xD (in fact the Spearhead post about trans women, had that right in the comments when a couple trans women showed up) any pic you would show them, anybody who shows up, even if on the street they wouldn’t know, they’d go “hah I can tell!” or “nope you don’t pass! *points out length of fingers*” or something… and so besides being an exercise in futility, it can also be hurtful (I’m guessing that’s the point xD ) and it also leaves other trans ppl in the dirt… since there are many trans ppl who don’t pass, and it’s acting like they’re failures in some way.. or they deserve less respect… and it turns it from a discussion about educating about trans issues, or trans rights, and etc… into “hot or not” or “spot the tranny” which is ultimately irrelevant (and acting as if subjectivity is objectivity) -_-;;;

Need to know

It doesn’t matter whether or not you find feminists, in general or specific cases, attractive- because feminism is not the Tell Me I’m Pretty movement.

It’s like this- decent human beings do not base whether or not someone else gets civil rights based on ‘I’d hit that’.

It’s not about that. So if Ion or the MGTOW don’t think feminists are attractive all that means is that with any luck they will not try to hit on feminists. Which, I think we can all agree is what is referred to as a win-win situation.

Holly Pervocracy

Personally, I think Kirbywarp and Pecunium are very attractive feminists.

:p

redlocker

Uh, EWME, your link doesn’t work.

cynickal
cynickal

You don’t seem to be one those, though, because “MEGA-DITTOS” are basically all you contribute.

F’ing reading! How does it work?!

And what the hell does ‘being spoon-fed’ have to do with a blogger being lazy and resorting to copy-pasting articles and going “hey, this is pretty stupid, amirite?”

F’ing discussions! How do they work?!

I mean it’s pretty impressive that you managed to spin this into a positive thing, but by that logic newspapers shouldn’t print articles anymore, they should just write headlines and leave pages blank so people can discuss and express their thoughts…

F’ing Specious Arguments! How do they w… Oh! I see what you did there!

NWOslave
NWOslave

@Need to know

“This goes for other endeavors. Hot engineers do not build better bridges, so we don’t pick who will build bridges based on how they score on Hot Or Not. We don’t judge doctors by their hotness. Proof of attractiveness is not required to get a driver’s license, to vote or to attend college. Criminal law does not say you can only rob ugly people.”

But we do give people employment, education, child custody and loads of other goodies based on gender. How do women manage with all the oppression they face?

Bostonian
Bostonian

So Ion took off rather than say if Ami was cute or not? Figures!

Ion
Ion

I ignored it because it was a clever trap. If I said anything negative, everyone would have been all OMG HATEFUL TRANSPHOBIC BIGOT, so I chose not to say anything. Shaenon and Molly – thanks, I’ll check out your blogs.

As for the rest of you still writing essays about why it’s not important for feminists to be attractive – sounds just like stuff ugly people say 😛

And yeah, Portia de Rossi is definitely hot, but I was thinking more of feminist academics/bloggers/activists/what have you, not an actress. 😉

Ami Angelwings

xD Now I’m a clever trap xD

Okay, why IS it important for feminists to be attractive? xD

Nobby
Nobby

You didn’t specify, Ion. And all this dancing and refusing to say why it’s important, sounds like stuff a sexist would say 😛

redlocker

“As for the rest of you still writing essays about why it’s not important for feminists to be attractive – sounds just like stuff ugly people say”

Oooooooh, shit, son. Ion just found you feminists out. Everyone knows that looking like a Hooter’s waitress is as important and serious as health, the law and even the economy, but no feminist according to him meets that standard!

Is…is Ion God?

Bostonian
Bostonian

I think Ami is very pretty and not a trap at all, she is the only avatar here with a person in it, that I recall.

Holly Pervocracy

sounds just like stuff ugly people say
Actually, it is. I’m pug-ugly by any standards I suspect an MRA would use. I’m chubby, plain, and dress like a schlub.

Which of my opinions are invalidated by this? Does me being ugly mean that sexual violence is good, or equal wages are bad, or sexism is awesome, or women shouldn’t be able to chose their career and lifestyle?

…would your answers be different if I were a hottie?

And how ugly does a guy have to be before his opinions are invalid?

Ami Angelwings

The problem is that ppl are more likely to call you a transphobic bigot now b/c of the “you only chose a trans person to trap me” thing than if you had said something before (were you planning to insult my anatomy before or something? o_O )

This is sounding a lot like the “Asian ppl eat dogs” trap when talking about racism that was talked about in Yellow >_> and the “trans ppl don’t pass” thing when it comes to trans activism that I talked about xD

Also Ion, you’re welcome to check out nebody’s blog and you’ve alrdy been on the forum and etc XD

but if you’re rly interested.. why ask us? XD I’ve mentioned this before alrdy… there’s a whole campaign out there!

just google “This is what a feminist looks like” xD

(also celebrities don’t count now xD )

spearhafoc
spearhafoc

Bostonian, my avatar is a self-portrait in oil. It’s not very flattering though.

Ami Angelwings

Actually I’ve always thought it’s v awesome Spear 😀 Of course the real deal is way more handsome :3 (esp w/ the suits :3 )

Bostonian
Bostonian

Yikes! spearhafoc, I am sorry I overlooked you.

Nobby
Nobby

It’s pretty frickin’ sweet though, Spearhafoc. And it’s only not flattering because you’re making a funny face :P.

And your dismissal of Ami just goes to show how pointless this is. Many of us around here find Ami attractive. And not for fear of being called transphobic bigots, but because we genuinely find her attractive. If you don’t, whatever. I’m pretty sure Ami will be just fine if you never hit on her. But we find her attractive, therefore she is an attractive feminist. Why does the fact that you don’t somehow invalidate your challenge?

Pecunium

Bostonion: I see that I am forgettable. 🙂

Nobby
Nobby

Er, that second paragraph was for Ion, not spearhafoc >.<

PosterformerlyknownasElizabeth

No you were not, and nice dig at someone for being an actress-as if they cannot have serious interests.

I guess that means that Bono is just a musician and his decades of work on debt forgiveness and other causes is just as dismissible.

Oh I forgot, he is a man and men are allowed to be multidimensional. Women, on the other hand, are only worth what their looks are at any given moment.

Holly Pervocracy

NWO is a great feminist if you don’t read his posts in the whiny little “nurmy nurmy nurrr, look at me I’m a feminist I’m a poophead, nurrrr nurrrr,” tone he intends.

(The debating technique of champions.)

It’s tough, man.

Holly Pervocracy

Also, there’s (at least in the United States, at least anywhere I’ve heard of) no such thing as quotas. No workplace has, anywhere in it, some list saying “you must hire 28 women this quarter.” It’s as fictional as our reptilian-alien oppressors.

Ion
Ion

Is…is Ion God?

Well, I think we all know at least he’s not a woman. Because we’re not all sandwiches. 😛

Okay, why IS it important for feminists to be attractive? xD

It’s not. It’s just been fun to watch you scramble for excuses. Sheesh, I’m telling you to your faces that I’m trolling for lulz and you don’t even care.

And since everyone keeps bringing it up, Ami, I think you’re attractive enough in a skinny, androgynous way, but you gotta work on the voice if you wanna pass as female. At least unless you meet a guy who’s got a fetish for Ray Romano.

Sharculese

i thought ami was pretty before i knew she was trans, and now that i know… i still think she’s pretty

jumbofish

It wasn’t a trap ion. I find ami very attractive, I don’t use my friends as tools.

Holly Pervocracy

okay ion not bothering to talk to you anymore

not even bothering to punctuate

bye now

go to a pokemon forum and tell them that pokemon suck, or something else that will make your dick feel big

does it feel so big right now

spearhafoc
spearhafoc

And it’s only not flattering because you’re making a funny face

Well, there’s also the lighting, colour choices and my general dishevelment. I like to do weird self-portraits. They amuse me.

I use this one or pretty much everything, but I decided to change my Twitter pic to something else because someone in real life complained that I scared her a bit.

Sharculese

Because we’re not all sandwiches.

Y’know, outside of a sandwich shop setting, i would prefer a lady, or a dude for that matter, not make my sandwiches for me, because i am very particular about my sandwiches and pride myself on my sandwich making skills.

also, my (female) boss teases me about the elaborate sandwiches i bring for lunch. so… sandwich making: a thing everyone should know and be good at (unless they don’t like sandwiches.

amandajane5

My avatar is a photo of me! I messed with the background to make the colors more interesting, but I am indeed standing on a bridge outside of Vancouver in a schlubby sweatshirt right there. 🙂

Ion
Ion

1) she’s supposed to be attractive in her line of work, and 2) she’s an actress first and a feminist second. But don’t let that stop you from twisting my meaning to fit your agenda.

So what exactly has Miss DeRossi contributed to feminism, aside from saying she is one? A blog, maybe? Articles? A book? Give me something aside from standard celebrity charity missions and tax writeoffs.

spearhafoc
spearhafoc

*for pretty much everything.

Frelling Blackberry.

Holly Pervocracy

Okay, it is a little funny that Ion still thinks it’s interesting or remarkable that when you act like an asshole in public, people will pay attention to you.

People will pay attention you if you take a shit in the aisle at the supermarket, too, but not because you’re smarter than them or you’re “winning” against them, trust me.

Bostonian
Bostonian

So Ion is moving goalposts again? Well at least he is getting exercise of a sort.

I apologise to all those I overlooked who have pics of themselves as their avatars. I shall go back to lurking in shame.

Ion
Ion

does it feel so big right now

ooh kay, me and my big dick are gonna back away now.

jumbofish

go fuck a card board box you piece of shit, its the only thing that would want to get 5 feet near to you.

What the fuck do you know as a cissexual guy. Stop telling trans people how they should act its none of your fucking business.

Ion
Ion

What if they spend the next 24 hours giving angry rambling speeches about how it’s not morally right to shit in the aisle?