antifeminism douchebaggery evil women misandry misogyny MRA oppressed men penises rape rapey reactionary bullshit we hunted the mammoth

A man and an old lady get in an elevator

Those "sweet" old ladies are anything but.

Another elevator joke for you all:

So Pierce Harlan of the False Rape Society blog gets into an elevator ….

Well, OK, not a joke. In his latest post, Harlan offers a reaction, of sorts, to the whole atheist elevator incident –- by relating an anecdote of a recent elevator experience of his own.

EDITED TO ADD: Harlan has now deleted the post in question. It can still be seen, at least for now, in Google’s cache of the original page, which you can find here. Grab screenshots! Back to the story:

Seems he was riding a hotel elevator with a sweet old lady. Neither one said anything to the other (Harlan apparently hates talking to sweet old ladies) but when he got off the elevator – well, let’s let him explain:

I glanced back at her and saw that … she was immobilized with fear. In fact, she was practically cowering in the corner. Her eyes couldn’t have been wider if I had whipped out my dick and lathered it up with Grey Poupon.  Hers was the face of utter, unbridled fear, and she was watching me like the scardest of scared deer. She said not a word but her demeanor practically pleaded, “Please don’t rape me, sir!”

Now, Harlan seems to have what you might call a taste for overstatement. He describes feminists as “screeching banshees” and “extremist loons allied with the sexual grievance industry.” I doubt he could describe a chicken-salad sandwich without resorting to angry hyperbole. (That was a little bit of overstatement on my part.) But let’s just assume that there is at least a kernel of truth here: this woman was creeped out by Harlan.

So what was Harlan’s response to this woman’s obvious discomfort?

[N]o one has more empathy for his fellow human beings than I do. The first thought that came to my mind in response to the obvious fear on the face of this pathetic, sweet looking, older woman — who probably never hurt anyone in her entire life — was fuck you!

Obviously we are supposed to ask just what it was that drove Harlan – the self-described world’s most empathetic man – to say something so seemingly callous? Well, as is usually the case with those we write about here, it all comes back to man-hating ladies and their male allies, with their evil insistence on sexual assault education (sorry, “indoctrination”) and their callous demands to “’take back the night,’ although the night has always been theirs.”(I don’t quite know what that means, but it sure sounds selfish of these women to want a whole extra night just for themselves.)

Ours is, Harlan says, “a culture marked by crass, hysterical fear-mongering about male sexual predation and violence.” (Evidently some guys haven’t gotten the memo on this.)

But all this evil misandry seems to have left poor Mr. Harlan in an uncharitable mood towards, well, almost everyone — though he directs his worst opprobrium at sweet old ladies.

Fuck them all. The paranoia of the woman in the elevator is her problem, not mine. Ironically, the elevator, the hotel itself, the car she rode in and the roads she rode on to get to the hotel were all undoubtedly conceived, designed, and built by men — men she’d fear just as much as me if they were standing in that elevator with her. I felt no guilt or shame or bewilderment over the fact that she fears me because of my birth class. Let her fear me. I can’t change it, and I have too much to do to worry about it.

And maybe, just maybe, it’s good that some people fear us. Maybe we should exult in the power we wield by reason of their paranoia. One thing I know: I will never do anything to alleviate their paranoia. In fact, I’m just fine with it, thank you very much. If someday, my riding the elevator causes some old woman to have a heart attack, that, too, is not my problem.  Blame it on a culture that I don’t approve of. Blame on sweet looking, older women who give in to the paranoia.

Truly the world’s most empathetic man.

Harlan goes on to talk briefly about the Rebecca Watson elevator incident. Needless to say, he adds nothing interesting to the discussion.

@Molly Ren

You’re right molly, a woman owns her sexuality. If she wants to flaunt it in front of men and then slap them down for not being able to control themselves, She’s right. In fact that might be another thing to teach boys in school, we can have a girls slutty dress up day and as soon as the young boys show any sign of an erection as the girls flaunt their sexuality they get slapped down. Why can’t men control their sexuality? Filthy pigs.

Nobinayamu
Nobinayamu

Tell me something, NWO: what has feminism directly prevented you from being or having?

summer_snow
summer_snow

@ Molly Ren

Shorter NWO: “Ooh, I’m so dirty. Men are so filthy. Mmmm, yeah, tell me I’m dirty! Make fun of my boner!”

@summer_snow

I wish I had Feminist Regulation silky clothes. Thats one of the things we feminists are trying to de-gender. Men should be ably to wear frilly dresses in public without being shamed. And if some stupid misogynist does shame them we want men to be able to cry like a two year old without being ashamed to show real emotions.

Nobinayamu
Nobinayamu

So, NWO, according to you, there’s no difference between being sexually aroused and raping someone?

Sharculese

I want to see the look on a lawyer’s face when Harlan tries to explain his libel case.

“So… they made unflattering comments about you-”

“about my blog.”

“… on another blog-”

“mostly in the comments.”

“…”

“…”

“get the fuck out.”

Holly Pervocracy
Holly Pervocracy

Men should be ably to wear frilly dresses in public without being shamed.

Um, yes?

Your misandry is showing, honey.

Pecunium

Marc: But put the prevalence issue aside: why must every discussion of false rape claims with you people always to come back to “rape is a worse problem.” Assuming for the sake of argument that’s true: SO WHAT? Does that make false rape claims unworthy of discussion?

Not at all. What false rape claims don’t do is invalidate legitimate rape claims. Take a look at what is actually said here (and in the feminist blogoshere) about rape. No on is saying that all claims of rape are valid on their face. What we are saying is the prevalence issue (which is the core of things like the FRS) does matter. That worrying about false rape allegations is less important than worrying about actual rape becuase the one is far more common than the other.

But that’s not what they do. You, for example, either don’t take the time to do the research, or choose to lie about it.

The fuller quotation (which took all of two minutes to find. The paper is available online Rape, Feminism, and the War on Crime read thus:

In addition, the vindictive shrew myth continues to pervade nonparadigmatic rape trials, leading jurors to require evidence of corroboration despite elimination of the formal requirement. Some contend that the belief that women lie about rape is no more than a “Bayesian” conclusion based on empirical evidence, and is not a product of sexism. Nonetheless, the statistics on false rape accusation widely vary and “[a]s a scientific matter, the frequency of false rapecomplaints to police or other legal authorities remains unknown.” Continued adherence to the shrew myth is bolstered by the media publicizing cases of false reporting, in which accused date rapists play the role of folk heroes—innocent boys tragically charged by vindictive women. Today, typing “false rape accusations” into Google will produce far more articles with headlines screaming that false reporting is an “alarming national trend” than articles targeted toward dispelling the myth.

Feminists recognized that nonparadigmatic rapes were underreported and underpunished because the date rape trial had become known as a locus of victim trauma and embarrassment, more concerned with reinforcing myths than determining consent or force. Moreover, prevalent stereotypes affected judges’ management of cases and caused juries to unfairly acquit either because they mistakenly concluded there was consent or believed the victim deserved it As a consequence, feminists advocated changes in the rape law that would reflect the reality of stereotyping and subtle sexism, despite the apparent achievement of formal equality.

So, she says the variability of the ways in which false rape is reported makes it impossible to assess. She doesn’t say false rape accusations are a large problem. She goes on to argue the ways in which the media, and the legal system, deal with real rapes makes it seem that false rape is more prevalent than it is.

So, in short, you’ve turned her argument 180 from it’s meaning. Interestingly, when I put the citation you gave into Google, all I got was two pages of False Rape and MRA site making exactly the same use of it (and two included the odd, “(citation omitted)”, which was wrong, because that was a citation.

That leads me to believe you weren’t, actively, mendacious merely intellectually lazy; but then again I am a charitable sort.

Pierce Harlan

Johnny Pez, is that really your name? Seriously?

“Harlan, the whole point of your blog is to set standards of evidence for rape so high that no rape victim could meet them.Your ultimate goal is to make it easier for men to rape women by making it harder for the courts to convict rapists.”

Johnny, Johnny, Johnny, you think you’ve got me pegged.

Tell me, Johnny boy, do you think there should be a subjective standard for determining consent? (I am sure you know this, but consent is determined from the perspective of the alleged wrongdoer). A lot of states do. I don’t. That’s a pretty fucking liberal position to take, Johnny. The standard everywhere should be, would a reasonable person in his shoes have understand she assented to sex? (Reasonable = objective standard.)

You also probably think I favor repealing the rape shield laws (I do not) and allowing men to have sex with women who are substantially impaired by alcohol (I certainly do not).

Tell me one specific evidentiary point that you think I’m wrong about, and let’s discuss it. If I see the errors of my ways, I will even change my position.

And, no, Johnny, I won’t sue your ass off. You are most likely a minor with no assets.

Fatman
Fatman

Well welcome to feminism NWOslave. I hope it all works out for you. What was it that convinced you work towards an egalitarian society?

@Holly Pervocracy

Cause thats inportant equality stuff, men in dresses. If only those stupid misogynits could see how the patriarchy hurts men too, then they would join us in our great cause.

Maybe we could have a mandatory boys in dresses day at school. To help the break the gender box the patriarchy has caged them in.

@Fatman

Cause feminism is never wrong, thx for the welcome. Men should always listen to women. Awaiting instructions. Oh how I love those shirts.

Nobinayamu
Nobinayamu

NWO, is there a difference between being sexually aroused and raping someone? I’m a feminist and I contend that there’s a huge difference between the two. You claim to be a Men’s Rights Activist -or at least of supporter of the movement- and you appear to be saying that there is no difference.

Is there a difference?

Ami Angelwings

Wow… it’s still going xD

NWO making fun of us is hilarious xD “men should be able to wear frilly clothes.. and cry!”

um… yes? o_O Now if he said “men should be able to wear frilly clothes.. and cry… and to help facilitate that, we’ll cut off their penises!” that would be more over the top…. or that men must wear frilly clothes and cry… xD

what’s wrong w/ men feeling like they can cry if they want? or wear frilly clothes? 😀 They can be like pirates! 😀

Ami Angelwings

I wonder if somebody told NWO to stop talking now. Would his faux persona act then obligate him to stop, or would he then violate it by talking, or would he go right back to regular NWO? xD

Ami Angelwings

NWOslave | July 19, 2011 at 3:16 pm
@Molly Ren

See now that’s more like it.. (altho is he saying that men rape b/c they can’t control themselves? o_O)

he’s going from what feminists believe to an extreme parody which is THEREFORE WE SHOULD FORCE GIRLS TO DRESS “SLUTTY” AND IF BOYS HAVE AN ERECTION THEY WILL BE SLAPPED DOWN xD

Pecunium

Harlan: Good luck with that libel suit. Here’s my prediction: You can’t find a lawyer to take it.

Why? Because you can’t afford it, up front, and you won’t find one with enough confidence in your victory to do it on contingency.

Times v Sullivan baby. You have made yourself a public figure in this field, and even if the ways in which you misrepresent the facts (see my comment to Marc re the use of Aya Gruber’s paper, which your blog misrepresents, more than once), weren’t enough to make her claim strong enough to be defensible, your decision to make yourself a player has limited the scope of your ability to charge libel for comments which are topical to your role.

So, having decided to engage in the rough and tumble of public debate on a hot topic, you have to suck it up and accept that people will say things which are unflattering about your opinions.

Ami Angelwings

Can we do requests? 😀 Like we can ask NWO to pretend to be what he believes different beliefs are… and give him topics xD

Like… pretend to be a M Andrea type radfem talking about trans men NWO! 😀

(it also helps us understand how he sees things and what he believes ppl believe (if somewhat extreme parodies) 😀 which he’s ALWAYS so circumspect about, and this is helping so much xD I hope he does this more )

also

That’s fucking libelous, Ren.

o_O it is?

Sharculese

@Pecunium: I was certain that quote misrepresented the paper but didn’t have time at the moment to look it up. Thanks. And of course now that I’ve seen the paper, I found the omitted citation I was asking Harlan about. This is gonna shock you, I’m sure. but it just makes things worse for him.

The Legacy of the Prompt Complaint Requirement, Corroboration
Requirement, and Cautionary Instructions on Campus Sexual Assault

How much worse? Here’s a teaser from the first couple of paragraphs.

The Biblical tale of Potiphar’s wife stands as a warning to the criminal justice
system. It is one nightmare about rape: a spurned woman seeks revenge by falsely
accusing an innocent man. This nightmare terrifies because of the helplessness of the
weak male—in this case, a Jewish servant—and the fear of a justice system governed by
the emotions of an irrational woman.
There is another nightmare about rape, of course, one that recurs in waking life: a
man rapes a woman or girl he knows, taking advantage of her proximity and vulnerability
to satisfy a cruel desire for sexual dominance. Rape, the fear of which terrifies most
women at some point in their lives, is dreadful enough. But then the legal bad dream
begins. In great pain, the rape victim tells of her assault to police, prosecutors, judges,
and jurors, but no one believes her. They suspect either that she fabricated the experience
because she wanted it or that she caused it by her own bad behavior. This nightmare
should also stand as a warning to the criminal justice system, but we have no notorious
parables, retold from ancient times, to sear it into our collective unconscious. As a result the criminal justice system has not reacted to the cynical disbelief many feel toward rape
victims who muster the courage to come forward with the truth.
By contrast, the criminal justice system has overreacted to infamous anecdotes of men falsely accused. Three particular rules, designed to prevent irrational women from
succeeding in levying false rape charges, arose in English common law.

@Nobinayamu

A woman can do what ever she wants, she has agency.

Nobinayamu
Nobinayamu

So you can’t even answer the question in a dishonest fashion? Going to go right for the dodge?

I don’t blame you. If my opinion of men was so low that I equated sexual arousal with sexual assault, I wouldn’t want to confirm it.

Pierce Harlan

Pecunium, all due respect, a little friendly advice: you write with the stick-up-her-ass pretensions of a Womyn’s Studies major. You ought to try writing like a human being. And try to understand that your world view is one not shared in the real world, or even in other departments at your college.

Second, “It people claiming to be militating about false rape accusations weren’t conflating poor investigation of real rapes, or the acquital of real rapists, with accusations of false rape they would be far more able to get feminist support; because that aspect of things is a feminist issue.”

You are so full of shit (pretentious shit, at that) it isn’t even funny. A rape claim should only be declared “false” when law enforcement is damn sure about it. Not “he said/she said.” Not merely unfounded (which is where it can’t be proven and everyone should walk away with hers AND his reputations intact). Recantations should not always be believed, and D.A.s and courts often reject them. That’s my position, but I don’t see feminists flocking to my site.

Third: “So, in short, you’ve turned her argument 180 from it’s meaning.” I absolutely did not. What on earth are you smoking? I quoted her for the prevalence issue — no one knows the exact percentage. That’s what she said.

If you actually read what I said, I wasn’t making the point that false rape claims are more prevalent than legitimate rape claims. I was making the very point you are proving: every time I talk about false rape claims, you all have to tell me that they are not a problem. Thanks, on behalf of all the falsely accused guys who frequent my site. Very reassuring.

This isn’t going anywhere, because you people think you know more than you do, and are not at all receptive to any other position. The discussion of rape is like a religion to you — too much emotion, not enough rationality.

@Sharculese

That is beautiful and sooo true. Men have always used rape as a means to sexual dominance. And then blamed the woman, the victim.

I don’t know who wrote that inspirational piece but it should be hung in every classroom so every young boy will know their reign of terror is over.

Pierce Harlan

P.S. Pecunium, I can file suit on-line myself in a half hour. That’s what we do for a living, my dear. You are right: I couldn’t afford my fee, if I had to pay me.

Pecunium

I really liked this, from the “Kafka Trap”

What would a discerning neutral observer think, when he hears a reasonable question answered with an attack against the interlocutor’s character? Will this inspire him to adopt all tenets of the questioned set of beliefs? Is he more likely to feel threatened into submission by the shaming tactic used against the gadfly, or to feel offended by proxy at the ideologue’s evasiveness and insulting manner?

In the same piece where one finds:

Now, I hate to ruin their fun by being a man who says things he wouldn’t say if he wasn’t a man,

Which is, of course one of the strawmen which inhabit the whole of this entry. Then we have this sort of thing.

It is this belief which ultimately explains feminist attempted logic[emphasis in original].

Speaking of Amanda Marcotte we get

Leaving aside the content of her raging diatribe, doesn’t the style of her writing strike you as that of a twelve-year old, perhaps one who has only just discovered swear words, and believes that using them as much as possible is ‘cool’? In the spirit of this post, then, and given the evidence before us, I hereby believe that Amanda Marcotte is, in fact, twelve years old. Any argument to the contrary, from Amanda or anyone else, will be taken as further evidence that she is twelve years old.

All right then. Since she has clearly not been brought up properly, I shall recommend a regimen of discipline that will soon have her speaking as a proper young lady should! I suggest, first, that Amanda Marcotte shall have her mouth vigorously washed out with soap; next, that she shall receive a stern, bare-bottom spanking (over some patriarch’s knee, of course); and then, that she shall be sent to bed without dinner for a week. This will soon set her straight! And since I refuse to believe any evidence to the contrary of my opinion that she is twelve years old, any disagreement with my opinions on this matter shall only reinforce my contention that she is utterly deserving of this punishment. Now, what do you think about that?

Yep, no shaming tactics there, no attacks against the character, just pure sweet reason, addressing the actual meat of her arguments, not any rhetorical excess.

What I think about that is he actually thinks this way.

@Nobinayamu

All men are potential rapists, this is an undeniable fact. The sad part is women keep giving men the benefit of the doubt, and women continually pay the price for their love and trust.

Samsara
Samsara

“you write with the stick-up-her-ass pretensions of a Womyn’s Studies major. You ought to try writing like a human being. ”

So Pierce, a women’s studies major is not a human being??? Nooooo, you don’t sound prejudiced against women. Ranting, raving and throwing insults at people is probably not a good way to convince them of your arguments.

Pierce Harlan

Oh, my, oh, my, someone actually brought up Potiphar’s wife. That’s what people do when they want to “prove” that false rape claims are not a problem. Again, proving my point.

Here, ladies, another scholarly law review article for you:http://lawprofessors.typepad.com/crimprof_blog/2004/12/2_false_rape_st.html

And check this out, too: http://www.theforensicexaminer.com/archive/spring09/15/

Futrelle, you are running a radical feminist shithole here. This is about as extreme as they come — so far out of the mainstream it’s scary. I need to go take a shower and promise myself never to come here again.

Until I start my other blog, David, take care!

Your pal, Pierce

Ami Angelwings

Did Pierce just imply he thought Pecunium was a woman? o_O

xD

(also apparently we’re radfems now o_O THE MOST EXTREME OUT THERE XD )

oh naive little Pierce.. xD there’s some scary radfems out there xD

Nobinayamu
Nobinayamu

NWO, are you equating sexual arousal with sexual assault?

Sharculese

Yes, yes I know. Because scholars expect anyone relying on their research to understand the principles of good scholarship. Yes, I’m aware you can get through law school without learning basic academic rigor, but if you’re going to cite scholarship you need to get better at these things.

Good researchers check an omitted source when they’re relying on a quote with an internal citation. Especially when the part of the quotation they’re relying on is itself quote. Lazy researchers just assume a contextless quote supports them and get caught with their pants down when someone else does their due diligence for them. You’re a lazy researcher.

What field you do practice, Harlan? Because you seem awfully eager to flaunt a general knowledge of the law without showing any particular depth in any of them.

Pecunium

Harlan: First, “citation omitted” is very common in legal writing — as here, the prof. I cited was quoting, with approval, another source. You need to see the actual law review article.

Did you read my post? The one where I linked to the article?

Now, about, “citation omitted”. It refers, in legal articles, to leaving out the internal referents, and attached footnootes. It’s a convention of that style of academic writing. In other disciplines (those which tend to MLA inline citation) the work is cited once, in toto, and then subsequently referred to in part (e.g Gould, pp15-16) to point to the work. If single author is referenced in more than one work, the year of publication will be appended.

But, even that’s not the convention online. Online the, general (there being no style guide) is to refer to the title, ideally with a link (as I did). Including the, “citation omitted” shows a lack of actual attention. Mere cut and paste from another source, without considering the further context: i.e. intellectual laziness.

Since I went and read the article, the idea that you are either intellectually lazy, or actively mendacious arises. If the prof you cited was approvingly claiming false rape accusations are a large problem (which is what you do) based on that truncated quotation, he is being dishonest. You are misinformed, deluded, or colluding in his dishonesty.

This isn’t going anywhere because you aren’t reading what we say. Is a false accusation of rape a bad thing? Yes. Is is common? No.

Should it be prosecuted? Yes.

Is it equal in scope to actual rape? No.

Your point, such as you have one, is that false rape accusations are a plague.

So, since you are being full of righteous indignation: what is your definition of a false rape claim.

And what is your definition of a valid one.

That way we can all be on the same page.

Amused
Amused

Wait, “Pierce” is a lawyer who also designs hotels? Why am I not surprised.

Also: a blog is not a law review, and a blog entry isn’t a law review article.

Sharculese

@ Harlan: Okay, the Potiphar’s wife passage was from “The Legacy of the Prompt Complaint Requirement, Corroboration Requirement, and Cautionary Instructions on Campus Sexual Assault” by Michelle Anderson. Let’s see what CrimProf blog thinks is a better source:

Several interesting articles on sexual assault. The first is by CrimProf Michelle J. Anderson of Villanova, one of the legal academy’s most perceptive and prolific scholars in this area. Her latest work The Legacy of the Prompt Complaint Requirement, Corroboration Requirement, and Cautionary Instructions on Campus Sexual Assault proposes a number of reforms to make institututional discipline more efficient. (CrimProf blogged an expose of UVa’s system). One startling point in the paper was that no reliable statistics exist on the frequency of false rape claims: “As a scientific matter, the frequency of false rape complaints to police or other legal authorities remains unknown.” (See pages 33-35). Professor Anderson’s conclusion is noteworthy in light of the often repeated claim of advocates that this information is known definitively: “false accusations account for only 2% of all reported sexual assaults. This is no higher than false reports for other crimes.” Although the article asserts that “no study has ever been published which sets forth an evidentiary basis for the ‘two percent false rape complaint’ thesis,” even universities repeat this statistic, and it shows up in such important venues as the legislative history of VAWA. Pub. L. 102-199, S. Rep. 102-197 n.48 (Oct. 29, 1991).

here were many, many more stories about actual sex crimes, and these anecdotes hardly show that false claims are common. The stories also may suggest that law enforcement successfully identifies most false claims

Oh, come the fuck on. You’re not even trying, are you?

Pecunium

sigh, I missed this:

My college? Dude… I’m not in college. I’m a retired army interrogator. I’ve been a machinist, a studio projectionist, an ER security guard (in hospitals with psych-wards, where we had to leave our batons outside when we went it), a catered, and worked in pizzarias. I’ve seen a fair bit of “the real world”.

I’ve read the law, and I really like science, so I read papers, and popular articles.

And… I’m a man. Straight, white, cis, man.

Sharculese

I’ve got about an hour commute ahead of me, but I’m fascinated to see how Harlan spins this one.

ps: Pecunium- if you enjoy reading law papers, the Anderson piece looks excellent. I’ve never seen it before and I think that’s what I’m reading tonight.

Pecunium

And Harlan, with all due respect, a little friendly advice, my dear boy: Read the posts you reply to, so you can spot things like internal evidence for having read the papers cited (and note that the actual work is linked to), and take advantage of things like the hotlinks to people’s blogs, so things like, “in other departments in your college” don’t make you look sillier than your actual arguments.

Good luck with the suit, remember what is said about attorneys and clients.

Pecunium

Sharcluse: I have to pack… a move of 3,000 miles is imminent, and I’m procrastinating.

mediumdave
mediumdave

Hey, I’m back. Cat is petted, work is (well, somewhat) done, and I’ve eaten. So what’d I miss?

Oh, my. And well, well. It appears that there is some disagreement about who invented the elevator! Elisha Otis (a white man with a large beard) invented a steam-powered freight elevator in the mid-1800’s. But Alexander Miles -An AFRICAN-AMERICAN inventor- who also had a large beard, oddly enough, invented the automatic doors that made elevators more safe and convenient. And y’know, except for elevators in very old buildings, every single passenger elevator uses automatic doors these days.

So… Mr. Harlan, what’s your take on that? Should no woman fear men (of any color) with large beards, in elevators? Or should they not fear African-American men, in elevators? Before or after the automatic doors close? This is a conundrum, all right. I await your reply with Grey Poupon-baited breath.

mediumdave
mediumdave

And please don’t insult my intelligence by complaining about “baited” vs. “bated”. I know that. It’s a play on words, genius

Fatman
Fatman

NWOslave, you seem to hold several false beliefs about your adopted philosophy, false beliefs that you no doubt acquired during your years as an MRA. It is not a common feminist belief that women can do anything and everything that they want. That is however a common mischaracterization of feminism among MRAs, so I can see how you were mistaken, having so recently abandoned that belief system.

You might want to spend some time reading and listening to feminists, now that you do not view them as the enemy, you will likely learn a great deal about feminism. Then you can make an informed decision weather or not to identify as one.

Now, I want to be clear, I am glad to welcome you to feminism, but the posts you have made since your conversion belie a seriously flawed understanding of feminism.

summer_snow
summer_snow

Boo, NWO! Boring! Go back to describing your outfit!

Sharculese

Huh, so Harlan just stopped posting after it became clear he was talking out of his ass. Quelle surprise

Harlan, if you’re still checking this blog, seething in impotent rage (as is apparently your wont), could you answer a few questions for me:

1. Again, what is your area of practice?

2. Why do you post links to thinks you haven’t read and don’t understand?

3. If you’re such a lazy researcher, why should we take anything you say seriously?

Johnny Pez

Pecunium, I will be moving 300 miles in the near future. I can rent a moving van and drive the distance in six hours. I tremble at the thought of moving 3000 miles.

Pecunium

Johnny Pez: Happily, most of my things are in storage. I did a 400 mile move about a year ago. For lots of reasons (some having to do with the army) I have a lot of stuff which is coming out of storage for the first time in more than a decade when I get to New Jersey.

Then I can catalogue my books, set up my kitchen, etc.

But yes, I tremble.

Pecunium

Sharcluse: I’ll be it’s not libel.

XD

Johnny Pez

New Jersey, eh? I’ll be moving to eastern Pennsylvania.

MANBOOBZ MEETUP!

Sharculese

I’ll be it’s not libel.

Lol. I’m guessing something dry and boring like transactions or tax.

It can’t be crim. It was really funny when he started trying to swing his JDick around, because he either was counting on nobody knowing enough to contradict him or honestly believed he understood what he was talking about, but his definitions were beneath elementary. It read like someone who slacked up all semester and tried to make up for it by cramming a pre-prepared outline the night before his exam.

Marc
Marc

Marc: Elsewhere you complain about selective quotation. Sadly you can’t even manage that when you misrepresent a position.

Oh no, you again.

You did no such thing. One case doesn’t prove that, “men in general have nothing to fear”. It shows that in one case (out of how many?) a false accusation led to a miscarriage of justice.

This, If you make the claim “men in general have nothing to fear about false allegations” a single anecdote (or better: counterexample) is enough to disprove this claim. is not true.

Wrong, as usual, remember what he really said: “the reason that black men in our society are disproportionately blamed for sexual assaults is because they are a less privileged, disadvantaged group compared to men in general… Men in general, on the other hand, are more privileged and advantaged in our society than women. It is therefore nonsense to imagine that men in general are in danger of being falsely accused of sexual assault.”

Very wishy washy of course… so don’t complain about the interpretation of that…

Did he say “Yes, false allegation happen sometimes but in general they are rare”? No, of course not!

What he meant was something roughly like “Though black men and some other groups of men are not privileged, men in general are. So the chance that someone falsely accuses a man (who’s not from one of those discriminated groups) of rape is low because even genuine rape victims know the courts would probably not believe them and only convict him if there’s extremely strong evidence. So few women would try something as futile as a false rape accusation against a privileged white man.”

So one good counterexample (just remind you: there are many, many more, anyway) where a man cannot even defend himself against baseless, self-contradictory accusations, everybody is biased against him (the court that fist found him guilty was composed of three judges and two lay judges — if two of the five voted not guilty that would have meant a not-guilty verdict.) and his guilt is confirmed even by the highest court in Germany, should be enough to seriously challenge the idea that privileged men are favored by the courts.

It’s like when you say “XY is a good hospital” and I present a case where a patient suffered from an easily diagnosable and curable disorder, went to this hospital but then was treated very poorly by ten different doctors and ultimately died.

Of course, mistakes will always happen. But one mistake of this magnitude would cast serious doubts on the claim “XY is a good hospital”.

In general /= never Example, In general people who play craps lose to the house. Pointing out that someone won a lot of money in Vegas playing craps doesn’t invalidate it. Vegas, in fact, boasts of all the people who have made a big win. It’s how they get other people to come in and gabmle, because, in general people who come to Vegas lose.

No, very bad example, because the OP actually named the exceptions to the general rule. It’s more like:

Nitpicker: “The Platypus and the Echidna are mammals and lay eggs. But in general mammals don’t lay eggs.”
Me: “But what about this animal we lately discovered, it breastfeeds it’s youngs, lays eggs and is not a Platypus or an Echidna?”
Nitpicker: “So what? I only said in general! In general mammals don’t lay eggs, not never. What’s your problem?”

Marc
Marc

Marc: But put the prevalence issue aside: […]

Not at all. What […]

________________________

Please, at least try to learn how to quote…