douchebaggery evil women I'm totally being sarcastic men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny patriarchy

Douchebags of History: T.M. Zink and the Zink Womanless Library

Today we celebrate one of history’s greatest, the largely unheralded misogynist douchebag T.M. Zink, who managed to stick it to the ladies even after he died. As Time magazine reported shortly after his death in 1930:

At Le Mars, Iowa, the probated will of T. M. Zink, deceased attorney, revealed:1) His $100,000 estate is to be placed in trust for 75 years; 2) In A. D. 2005 the accumulated principal is to be used to establish, equip and maintain a library on whose shelves will be no woman author, on whose catalogs will be no woman’s name, over whose portal will blaze: “No Women Admitted”; 3) To his daughter went $5; 4) To his widow not 1¢.

As he explained in his will:

My intense hatred of women is not of recent origin or development nor based upon any personal differences I ever had with them but is the result of my experiences with women, observations of them and study of all literatures and philosophical works.

2005 has come and gone and sadly, at least from the point of view of misogynist bibliophiles, the Zink Womanless Library was never built. As a piece in The Guardian noted, his family successfully challenged the will, I’m guessing on the grounds of Quando podeces te regi eorum fecerunt?  (“When did you become king of the assholes?“)

Ami Angelwings

Catching up on all the card requests… any I missed ? xD

PosterformerlyknownasElizabeth
PosterformerlyknownasElizabeth

I wonder how much it would cost to make these into real cards?

Plymouth
Plymouth
Ami Angelwings

You could print these out and glue them onto Magic card commons… (my friends used to do this)… >_>

PosterformerlyknownasElizabeth
PosterformerlyknownasElizabeth

I meant professionally made-I am sure we could figure something out. *hmmms*

Ami Angelwings

Oh… that may be more tricky, esp since none of this art is mine xD

PosterformerlyknownasElizabeth
PosterformerlyknownasElizabeth

that would be a problem

Nobby
Nobby

@Ami Me! can I request a card?

And you could probably print them, surely if you don’t sell them they’re fine. Heck, even sell them, it might be covered under parody. Either that or just put a call out for artists to help. I’m sure you could find a few willing.

Also, if this gets caught in moderation, it’s totally me, David. just posting from a mobile phone and I’m not sure how to sign in.

Nobby
Nobby

@Ami Me! Can I request a card?

And you shouldn’t have a problem printing them, unless you start selling them. Even then you might be covered by parody, but that gets tricky fast. But in that case you could always put a call out for artists and see what happens. You could probably get a few at least, especially if proceeds were donated somewhere.

And you can kill the other comment in moderation, David. i figured it out. Though my pic may be screwed up. Ah, whatever. Crazy smartphones.

Nobby
Nobby

Oor… I’ll just double post. Sorry!

Ion
Ion

Ion, we get it, we’re all just a bunch of big nerds who think too much. Thank goodness you have enough time to take out of your busy schedule of doing cool things and hanging out with cool people to come and tell us that.

Before you get too pleased with yourself for that oh-so-witty reply, consider the amount of time I spend posting here, and the amount of time you people spend replying to me. In other words, your statement might have been intended as sarcasm, but it’s pretty much true.

While you’re at it though, maybe you could spare us another moment and explain to us why, if you Real Men™ are so superior to women and all of us guys who are their “mangina lapdogs”, why is it you’ve lost so much ground? Thanks in advance.

Only in your head, dude. Plus you assume I care about ‘winning’ internet arguments as much as you do. As opposed to write a couple of paragraphs and watch you fall all over each other in your rush to prove me wrong.

But maybe I should start arguing seriously… “sharpen my skills” as you all claim… never know when being a pretentious know-it-all bore could come in handy. 😛

caseymordred
caseymordred

I’ll tell you why so many men are dismissive of female authors.

It is because men know that a book written by a woman author might condone or encourage impiety towards the male gender on the part of characters. In other words, they see misandry around every corner.

I use misandry instead of feminism because as some would explain to me, as far as they’re concerned, some church going tradcons making jokes at the expense of men at after service tea and donuts is no different than radfems who write bitterly about men either.

So to them, it’s all to avoid that women can and will come to their own views of men, be it favorable or unfavorable.

mind control beams
mind control beams

@ Ion: Haha, that’s a good one. “I COULD do elementary logic and basic consistency if I WANTED to, but you people are just not worth all the effort it takes.” Maybe NWOslave could take a cue from you and say that his atrocious spelling is justified because “this isn’t grammar class”.

I’ll grant you that making a modest effort at integrity is more boring than saying whatever you feel like, regardless of whether it’s true or in contradiction to what you said ten minutes ago. It has its own merits, though.

Jumbofish
Jumbofish

Summary of ions posts: (the passive aggressive version in the honor of ion)

Why do you guys post here, your wasting your time?
You all are cat owning, basement dwelling losers.
Oh so you think your better than me.
I’m neutral I swear.
I could argue and pwn you all if I wanted.. but that would be a waste of time.
you’re so immature unlike me.
you guys think your funny but your not.
at least I’m not X.
how dare you take serious issues seriously.
I’m better than all you because I don’t care.
*sticks out tongue* *wanks*
links to tvtropes?
(the occasional on topic response)

Did I miss anything?

Oh ion wanna have a passive aggressive fight…..on the internet?

Oh wait that would be a waste of time after all, you wouldn’t want to waste your god like abilities posting on this measly unimportant site…Oh wait you do.

caseymordred
caseymordred

Speaking of tvtropes…

One of my new pet peeves is the Courtly Love trope.

It sounds romantic, but it could be easily used by men to harbor affection without the risk of facing rejection by a woman. Even if he would never harm a woman, he’s clearly trying to make an end run around a woman’s power to reject him, instead of facing it like a man and taking it.

Ion
Ion

Summary of jumbofish’s posts: I am offended by a children’s cartoon show because it’s not politically correct enough for me and my life’s purpose is to be chronically offended. Also, my avatar apparently shows a woman giving oral sex to a rabbit.

But I guess you don’t want to waste your godlike arguing abilities on a measly unimportant troll like me… oh wait, you do.

Jumbofish
Jumbofish

Well I’ll take your response as a yes so
THE FIGHT IS ON

Can’t you be a bit more creative than copying my post jeez. Points for trying because its difficult to criticize me when I haven’t post a lot.
(the rabbit one was funny I’ll give you that)

Well since were on a roll I’ll stick with the pattern I guess

what ion thinks:
rabbits have genitalia on their chest
tvtropes is based on reality
passive aggressive remarks make you a cool kid? and smart?
there has never been or will be any good women writers ever
no seriously EVER, don’t even give him examples HE IS ALWAYS RIGHT
making fun of others smart remarks makes you smart?
can’t think of you own jabs? Steal um’
logic is not necessary
cartoon/animations are only for kids
posting on a site to complain about posting on said site is not hypocritical

also arguing? if your referring to debating I have never debated here ever unless you consider this debating(I don’t). Another thing, I never considered you a measly troll some others did but not me, don’t put words in my mouth.

You don’t seem to get the joke in the last sentence. I used your own hypocritical position to make a point; you said you think this site is pointless and no one should waste their time posting here yet you do just that. But that statement makes no sense if you turn it around and use it on me because I never supported that position to begin with (to clarify I don’t debate on this site nor did I ever consider talking to you pointless). Try to think a bit before posting and jabbing at meh.

Oh I find it funny you paradied the parady of yourself.

LESS EXPLANTION MORE PASSIVE AGRESSIVE REMARKS IN THE FUTURE GRR

Jumbofish
Jumbofish

@caseymordred
are you referring to this?

If you are I don’t quite understand what you’re saying.

“essay that his “Rules of Love” are not relevant to real-life relationships; indeed, in the context of a real relationship, many of them would be quite nonsensical, especially given the prevalent social atmosphere of the time. Rather, the ‘Rules of Love’ are a tongue-in-cheek catalogue of some of the tropes common in romances and tales of courtly love of the time period”

He didn’t make it romantic, it was pointing out the flaws of the romances in novels at the time.

I think I ‘m either misinterpreting what your saying or you were referring to something else.

so confused @_@

Jumbofish
Jumbofish

thanks. sorry I was holding an idiot ball *drops ball* hopefully there will be no more stupidity on my part (hopefully).

Anyway, yeah I see what you mean.

I liked how at the bottom it said
“Please do not mistake for Courtney Love (who is pretty much in a polar opposite position of this trope).” which is exactly what I did.

Kave
Kave

Ion

Back in the 90’s if someone was in a chatroom all day you knew that they must for one reason or another be housebound. With today’s technology people can be posting while riding a bus and if my youngest is any example even sitting at a family dinner.

So your loser comments are null and void. However they do account for something, namely projection.

Why are you here Ion? While I don’t have the time to be a regular (and I wish I was here when NWO had his melt down, Ami I swear I would have hired someone to track that little pathetic asshole down and….) I certainly have good reason to be here.

So what’s your reason Ion that you spend hours posting on a site where you are in complete disagreement with the sites purpose?

Kave
Kave

P.S My son who spends hours on social media is also a MMA fighter… a very good one (not what you wish for your kid but it’s his thing so we’re proud). He’d love to be put in a room with five or so mra’s to revenge his cousins. I’m just saying.

Also Ion can’t tell the difference between one person posting 24/7 and dozens of people who happen to live in different time zones.

Ami: I demand a “rabbit chest genitalia” card.

Johnny Pez

We also need an “Ion the Scornful” card. “Every day, Ion the Scornful would visit the agora to mock those who visited the agora.”

Pecunium

What I find amusing is that Ion, in his disdain, has abandoned his big argument in this thread. Which, by itself, isn’t surprising. It’s rather typical.

But usually he just stops, as if an outside life were keeping him away, and waits a few days before trying again (and somehow thinking the cultural practice of expecting logically sound responses and supported argument will have faded away, and resolved into a dew in the interim).

This time something struck a nerve, because he is staying around to defend why he … well why he’s better than people who stay around.

PosterformerlyknownasElizabeth
PosterformerlyknownasElizabeth

I was posting while on the road to San Diego for heaven’s sake-thanks to the ubiquitous of wifi, now you can post online even in the middle of nowhere. (Well depends on which way, coming back had few signals but going out had full service all the way even in the mountains.)

mediumdave
mediumdave

We also need an “Ion the Scornful” card.

“Whenever Ion was thwarted by the superior intellect of others, he fell back on mocking them for being too serious,” could be the legend at the bottom.

Heh, I keep misreading “Courtly Love” as “Courtney Love” even though the TV Tropes article specifically warns against that…

Holly Pervocracy

I was posting yesterday from a blanket on the grass by the river, surrounded by friends and waiting for fireworks.

So much for “if you’re on the Internet you have no life.”

Ion
Ion

Really, Holly? You too? Wow… MMA fighters, people who work in the fireworks industry, road trips… everyone here has such rich, amazing lives! Surrounded by good friends! It’s like an Olive Garden commercial. Which they feel the need to share the details of, no doubt hoping to… what? make me feel bad? envious? Huh. Sounds a lot like the “I have a life, unlike you losers!” thing that people were accusing me of doing. And of course, everything posted on the internet is true. By the way, I’m a secret agent billionaire playboy kung-fu master, Pope stand-in and part-time Victoria’s Secret photographer and I’m typing this from my private jet over the Adriatic Sea.

What else? Hmm… Kave has become an Internet Tough Guy, Jumbofish is just random, Pecunium is still a wordy pseudointellectual bore who thinks internet arguing is serious business (although lately he’s sunk to “oh I bet he’s MAD! I can tell your motivations from your posting pattern!” which disappoints me), and the rest of you are your usual charming selves. You’re the smug nerd table in the cafeteria who always sit together away from all the others, believing themselves intellectually superior and mocking everyone around them in those nerdy nasal voices, but only when they’re out of earshot of course. But by all means, keep telling me how wrong and unimportant I am, because I really care.

Also guess what – this isn’t your blog. You’re all just guests here, same as me. So until Dave decides to ban me, I’ll keep posting whatever, whenever. Toodles. 🙂

redlocker

(insert analysis of Ion’s behavior that will probably annoy him here) 😉

Snowy
Snowy

“You’re the smug nerd table in the cafeteria who always sit together away from all the others, believing themselves intellectually superior and mocking everyone around them in those nerdy nasal voices, but only when they’re out of earshot of course.”

Oh my goodness, such scathing criticism!

“But by all means, keep telling me how wrong and unimportant I am, because I really care”

Truer words..

speedlines
speedlines

Ion seems intimately familiar with the goings-on at the nerd table. Can’t imagine why.

Holly Pervocracy

I sat at the nerd table because it was the lowest-status table and I wasn’t allowed at any of the others. 🙁

Also, I wasn’t saying “I have a life, unlike you”–I was just saying “I have a life.” I don’t know about you; I’m just asking that you not make any assumptions about me.

However, if you think that saying I was out with friends or that Kave’s son does martial arts is tantamount to saying I’m a “secret agent billionaire playboy kung-fu master”… that doesn’t suggest well about your experiences with real life.

Captain Bathrobe
Captain Bathrobe

For someone who claims not to care, he really seems to…care.

Ion
Ion

speedlines and CB: NO YUO ARE

I’d just like to point out that Captain Bathrobe sounds like the nickname of that homeless guy in the park who exposes himself to passersby. Now there’s a card idea!

Kave
Kave

Ion

I asked you a question. Why are you posting here?

speedlines
speedlines

Me too. I have no trouble admitting it at all. Ion, on the other hand, seems deeply ashamed of his past, otherwise he wouldn’t try to shame other people with his own recollections.

Actually, we had tons of fun at the nerd table.

Bee
Bee

You guys had a table? My high school friends and I DREAMED of sitting at a table. We sat in the bottom of a yogurt container in the middle of the gymnasium floor. All seven of us. And then the freshman soccer team would kick us around for practice.

Ion sounds like a charged particle, or that TV channel my parents always watch. Ha!

ithiliana

Ion: I type fast. Very very very fast. Plus, I’m not on contract.

Ami: I’ve got to walk doggies, so no time to check the magyck cards — but I had asked for one, um, a while back, when you had caught up–mentioned roses, crones/witches (OLD EVIL ONES), cats, etc.

Re: making real ones. Chiming in with others that the cards are transformative and thus probably fair use if you’re not selling them.

Snowy
Snowy

A yogurt container?!?!?? Luxury!!!!!

ithiliana

Yeah, I was a nerd before they sold yogurt in containers! We had to um….walk uphill both ways in the snow with cardboard shoes to the dairy to carry it home in um….a hollowed out gourd!

mediumdave
mediumdave

Ha! My high school was too small to have a table just for nerds…

Actually, that was a good thing, because the “nerds” and the guys who played minor sports like wrestling and cross country formed their own clique (I fit into both categories, so it was perfect for me). Sometimes girls even sat with us (shocking, I know).

Ami Angelwings

o_O What’s going on? Why is Ion so upset? At least now we KNOW why he’s been so passive aggressive lately… he feels jealous? o_O Envious? Apparently we’re still in high school and we’re the cool kids and this is a sour grapes thing? Revenge for his exp in HS? o_O

Weird xD Well he’d be like what the 4th troll to think I was the cruel and evil queen bee or something? XD

It’s Dave’s blog but it’s become more than that, it’s become a community :3 I mean ppl post here so often to just talk, like the convos that Pecunium and Ithiliana were having about authors, and it’s a good vibe 🙂 I mean it’s kinda like going to a book club if you don’t like books and saying “YOU PPL HAVE NO LIVES YOU LOSERS” when they’re happily doing what they like, and when they ask the person why they’re there they’re like “WELL I SHOW UP TO HARASS YOU LESS OFTEN THAN YOU’RE HERE, SO WHAT DOES THAT MAKE YOU?” xD Um, it makes them ppl who like books? xD

I just dun understand this “I’m cooler than you, I have a life thing”… xD At the end of the day, when we all die, I think I’d rather look back and know I spent my life doing things that fulfilled ME, and that made ME happy, and hung out w/ ppl I liked online or off, than I spent my life trying to be cool, or afraid to do things b/c it wouldn’t make me cool, or etc etc : Life is short, and you can’t take it w/ you, (sry I was thinking about this last night xD ) who cares if you sat at the nerd table or not as long as you were having fun? 😀 I mean… clubbing is cooler than making Magyc cards in theory right? xD And I like clubbing, but most nights, I’d rather be at home making Magyc cards, talking w/ Kirby and my other friends online, and just relaxing :] It makes me happy, and I’ve spent SO MUCH of my life being unhappy, trying to be what other ppl want, etc… that who cares whether things are “cool” or not? xD I’d rather spend my time doing things that are FUN than worry about if the things I’m doing are “cool” or if I’m “cooler” than other ppl or w/e xD

Also Kave, thanks! :], but NWO wasn’t bugging me xD I appreciate the concern tho :3 I find him hilarious…

PosterformerlyknownasElizabeth
PosterformerlyknownasElizabeth

Ion-you are claiming we are spending 900 billion hours of our time on here and only people who have no lives could do that.

We are saying “hey, we have things going on but during those things going on, we can still post because of technology.”

You are just jealous because I went to San Diego and did not invite you. :p

Captain Bathrobe
Captain Bathrobe

Please. I haven’t fit that description for at least the past several months. Besides, everyone knows flashers wear raincoats.

Captain Bathrobe
Captain Bathrobe

I always hung out at the library with the other nerds. Then we all became Stoners and hung out in the back parking lot, where we were shunned by all the other Stoners unless we had weed. We remained nerds for all intents and purposes.

Molly Ren

@Ami That reminds me of a time during a BBQ this weekend when me and my friends broke out our host’s Apples to Apples cards. Someone came in, saw what we were doing, and just shook their heads. “There’s make-outs outside!” they said.

What they probably didn’t know is that we’d spent the former week at a nudist camp/kink event. We’d already gotten our make-outs in, we were tired and just wanted to chill and drink beer… and we didn’t have an Apples to Apples game at home! 😉

Plymouth
Plymouth

I was totally posting comments here while I passenger in the car on the way to a BBQ yesterday. There wasn’t anything on the radio and my fiance and I didn’t have anything in particular to talk about. Sometimes I do think I should put down the internet a little more and watch the world go by, but, whatever, it’s not like I’m here because I really have nothing else to do, the convos can be fun, there are cool peeps.

The first thing I’d drop if I was trying to cut back on internets wouldn’t be manboobz – it would be Vampire Wars! I’m getting better though – haven’t signed in to that in about 3 days. Go me!