self-promotion

Forum or Againstum?

Man Boobz Forum (Artist's Conception)

Given that the comments section of this blog continues filling up and spilling over I thought I’d revisit the notion of a Man Boobz forum, as a kind of supplement to the comments on posts here.  Let me know what you think by voting in the poll over there to your right, and by commenting below. [NOTE: The poll vanished from the sidebar for a bit but is back up now.]

The pros, as I see them: A forum would make it easier for you all to introduce topics or non-topics of your own, to do things like plan Man Boobz get-togethers, to pimp your own blogs and other projects (like Ami’s magnificent cards). The cons: it might draw energy and focus away from comments here.

I really like the dynamic we’ve got going in the comments here – the mixture of serious and not-so-serious, on-topic and off – and don’t want to screw that up. (I also think the Weekend Open Threads are working out pretty well and will keep them going.) But I’m sort of thinking we can pull this off.

I’ve already got a forum set up on proboards; all I need to do is click a button to make it public.

What say you all?

PS: There’s an obscure lesbian folk song reference hidden in this post. (Not so obscure, I guess, if you’re into lesbian folk songs.) Whoever can identify it first wins an Internet.

Nobby

Oh, and @Ithiliana I’d love to talk more about books and adaptations some time! I am not nearly as well read as many people on here, as that lit thread proved, but I do love to talk :-). Another reason for forums (as I don’t have an LJ or such).

Nobby

Oh, and is it officially ‘Magyc’ now? Because frankly I love it that way.

Ami Angelwings

Would that just make all the trolls or even honest critics not want to show up b/c they’re afraid we’re all mocking them behind closed doors? :

Johnny Pez

NiceGuy is a big name among the MGTOWers. He’s got his own forum (linked on David’s Boob Roll), and David has quoted from him in the past. That’s why I picked him.

Ami Angelwings

oh ok :3 I thought that might have been but I wasn’t sure… sry 🙁 hrm… ok I got it :3 dun worry about it… just call him Nice Guy (with the space) I have an idea :3

Ami Angelwings

hrm on NiceGuy, i guess since that’s his name.. I’ll figure it out :3

I’m sry again for not realizing 🙁 i suspected but I forgot b/c MRAL was making me laugh too much xD

Hippodameia
Hippodameia

I think there’s at least a small role for a single private board. As kirbywarp said, it would make getting friendlier easier. I don’t think it would be necessary for deciding meetup locations, for example, but if meetup coordinators wanted to exchange phone numbers it would be nice to have a private space where they could do so safely.

Plymouth
Plymouth

I don’t see a poll!! Is this a firefox thing? Do I need to use I.E.?

Ami Angelwings

David, check your mod queue :]

Johnny Pez

I’m using IE and I don’t see the poll either.

Leely
Leely

Dedicated lurker here…

I’m with Ami on having locked forum areas not sending the right message. Maybe lock down the LJ and share secure stuff there?

If I were Empress of Everything, the comments here would be mostly on-topic and the forum would be for off-topic stuff (not only Magyc cards and recipes and such, but stories like the above that are Manboobz subjects but not about a specific post).

I’m leery of voting pro-forum because this is currently my favorite place on the internet and and I don’t want things to change (damn it!), but I’d probably contribute more on a forum.

Leely
Leely

(I don’t see a poll either and I’m on Chrome.)

Lyn
Lyn

Ami – which thread did Emcee call you an idiot and amira a genius? I must’ve flaked out of that thread too soon and missed it 🙁

Also – no opinion on whether we need a forum.

speedlines
speedlines

If the forum allows Private Messages, there would be no need for a members-only area. If people want to exchange phone numbers and stuff they can just PM each other.

Hippodameia
Hippodameia

Oh, I didn’t know there was a Private Messages option. That would be great.

Hippodameia
Hippodameia

“Ami – which thread did Emcee call you an idiot and amira a genius? I must’ve flaked out of that thread too soon and missed it”

It was Arms and the Men’s Rights Movement. Go to the second-to-the-last page of comments and scrool down about two-thirds of the way. It’s really priceless.

Hippodameia
Hippodameia

Oh, Ami, THANK YOU!! That’s lovely!

“After divorce lawyers were outlawed, Hippodameia turned her sights to keeping the Armies of Darkynss well supplied using the same mathematical blasphemy she used to such great effect in her past life.”

I’ll try and think up some mathematical blasphemy: maybe 2 + 2 = 5? Because I’m a feminist?

AHAHAHAHA

Hippodameia
Hippodameia

Scroll, drat it.

Ami Angelwings

The MRAs have their first “fatty” (big creature card) :3

Our buddy, the guy who creates his own conspiracies xD

darksidecat

@Hippodameia Do not blaspheme.

Lyn
Lyn

Thanks Hippodameia!

Lyn
Lyn

That one was good but, I dunno – I liked the one where he addressed Ami and amira one after the other:

Nevertheless – agree that convo was HILARIOUS 🙂

Nobby

Okay, that was pretty good too :-). I just loved the invitation to come with him. I’m sad I couldn’t see the hilarity at the time. Ah, well, I’ll try and be sharper next time >.<

Lyn
Lyn

Oh – and I totally missed the bit where he gave me shit about yoga not being about strength! Pfft. *Work* so gets in the way of my virtual life 🙁

Magpie
Magpie

Somehow those cats looks really sinister on the card.

Nobby

You’re just turning them out today, Ami! Good stuff! You’ll have a whole set soon!

Nobby

@Magpie No, they look sinister all the time! Creeeepy.

Magpie
Magpie

@Nobby. Hee hee! Just what are they eating ……

Magpie
Magpie

Reading Niceguy’s card I pronounced it Gee of Neece

Molly Ren

“Gee of Neece”

Ni, ni!

OMG the cards!

… can I have one?

Plymouth
Plymouth

Oh, hey, the poll appeared!

Ion
Ion

That was rude Ion, even for you.

Was that supposed to be serious or sarcastic? Considering I posted right after three aMiRA quotes, I’m not sure.

Forum would be easier to read, certainly. So I’m for it. And that cat picture looks creepy.

Ami Angelwings

Hmm :O It seems like the yes side is rly leading in the polls xD We should have like… election coverage of this XD It’s still early, but so far the Forum party is elected or leading in 24 ridings…

xD

Arielle
Arielle

Since the homepage gives us news and is the first thing we see, I don’t think there will be a shortage of comments. I think a forum would be sort of like a “sidekick” of sorts. Also, it’ll be nice for people to post their own topics without having to worry about it getting buried in 500 other comments.

KristinMH

Great job on the fic, Johnny! I promise I won’t turn you into a hound again… *wink wink*

Ami, I can’t believe I didn’t notice until now that “Mistress of Hounds”=MH.

And when you impersonate me in the forum it will clearly be as KristinaMiH.

(In re: the forum, I tend not to participate in them myself and will probably stick mainly to the comments, but who knows. I may be swayed. If y’all want to give it a try I’m for it.)

theLaplaceDemon
theLaplaceDemon

I voted “whatever” but mostly ’cause I’m on the fence.

On the one hand, I really like how energetic the comments are, and I worry that with a forum that would fizzle. I also like how comments sort of run like a conversation – disorganized, often off-topic, but flowing very naturally.

On the other hand, reading through several hundred comments just to understand what the hell is going on is a bit annoying. And it would be cool for people to be able to start their own threads…