self-promotion

Forum or Againstum?

Man Boobz Forum (Artist's Conception)

Given that the comments section of this blog continues filling up and spilling over I thought I’d revisit the notion of a Man Boobz forum, as a kind of supplement to the comments on posts here.  Let me know what you think by voting in the poll over there to your right, and by commenting below. [NOTE: The poll vanished from the sidebar for a bit but is back up now.]

The pros, as I see them: A forum would make it easier for you all to introduce topics or non-topics of your own, to do things like plan Man Boobz get-togethers, to pimp your own blogs and other projects (like Ami’s magnificent cards). The cons: it might draw energy and focus away from comments here.

I really like the dynamic we’ve got going in the comments here – the mixture of serious and not-so-serious, on-topic and off – and don’t want to screw that up. (I also think the Weekend Open Threads are working out pretty well and will keep them going.) But I’m sort of thinking we can pull this off.

I’ve already got a forum set up on proboards; all I need to do is click a button to make it public.

What say you all?

PS: There’s an obscure lesbian folk song reference hidden in this post. (Not so obscure, I guess, if you’re into lesbian folk songs.) Whoever can identify it first wins an Internet.

AbsintheDexterous
AbsintheDexterous

Oh, and if we don’t do forums, is there any way we could get paginated comments pages, as well as possibly numbered ones? It’s easier to remember that I’m on page 3, comment 115 instead of clicking “older comments” and reading to figure out where I was – numbered comments would help to, especially with keeping track of responses.

Molly Ren

I’d be pro-forum just so we can have a better way of messaging each other. It’s kind of hard for Ami to get Magic card feedback with the comment section moving so fast, for instance. Also, planning meetups would be much easier.

Now I am trying to figure out what that cat is holding on the plate. A giant mouseball? Do I want to know?

PosterformerlyknownasElizabeth

An ice cream cone!

Magpie
Magpie

I’m so higgerant I don’t even know what a forum is! Is it easy to use?

I love that the cats’ Xmas pud is so much bigger that the roast duck.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

If forums come with a way to track comments and responses to them, I think that would be alright. I did vote no forums, but I’m not dead-set against them… My only request would be to replace the comment section with forums, if forums become active. That way its easier to keep track of things. And you don’t need to look in too many places at once.

@Molly:

I’m gonna pretend its a giant fallaffel. I think its better this way.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

@Magpie:

Basically, its like a comments section here, only posters have the ability to create new threads at their leisure. The OP then becomes the first comment in the thread. Its not too hard to use, once you’re use to it, but it means that conversations will become much more linear, and much more spread out.

ithiliana

Amandajane: Fanatastic! Then let’s give it a try, if David agrees.

David: do you have any objections to a LiveJournal Manboobz spin off community? People don’t have to have an LJ account to comment on a community there–we can set to allow anonymous and/or open ID accounts–so nobody would be shut out, and there are some of us who simply interface better with LJ!

ithiliana

small additional note: I started reading Man Boobz through a feed which we can have the community subscribe to, so the top post can be seen there–and we can also link to the forums.

darksidecat

I don’t have an opinion on the forums, really. So I will just enrich this thread with bacon tuxedos (found via angry asian man )

ithiliana

Nobby: Re work. Yeah, I’m lucky I’m not on contract/teaching now–hopefully I can get things under control when class starts in a few weeks.

But since you mentioned you were having trouble keeping up, I thought I’d drop this link, talking about my response to WICKED in case you missed it (things go so fast).

amandajane5
amandajane5

Amusingly, manboobz is someone’s already registered personal journal. For realz! Someone who hasn’t posted since 2006 and only ever posted five entries, but still, hilarimous! So we’ll have to think of a different name regardless.

the_cock_carousel is available, though!

Captain Bathrobe

Ami,

Don’t forget Captain Amirobe. Or something.

carswell
carswell

I’m in favour of the forum idea. The comments section here has absolutely exploded and I rarely seem to get in before it’s already reached a hundred posts.

Captain Bathrobe

Yeah, I like the idea of a forum. Typically all the good thread is used up, and all the trolls have flounced, before I’m able to put the kids to bed. The best I can do is to sneak a few comments from the not-so-smart phone on the sly. Keeps my comments brief, though, so there’s that.

PosterformerlyknownasElizabeth

yes we need more bacon bread scented comments from CB.

Molly Ren

Molly Ami? Molami Ren? Amy Ren?

Magpie
Magpie

Thanks Kirbywarp.

hellkell
hellkell

I’ll be good with a forum, but I kind of dig the rumble-tumble nature of the comments.

Ami Angelwings

If you do a forum, then you should prolly just turn off the comments here and do what other blogs w/ forums do and say “if you want to comment, you can comment in the forums” w/ a link to them… otherwise, I think it will end up w/ things being fragmented :

The advantage of a forum is that you can “pin” threads, so nething that’s a hot topic, or that you want to save (like a MTG thread) you can “pin” to the top so that it never gets pushed down by other active threads. :]

And it’d be easier for me to handle the MTG cards w/ it’s own thread xD but I dun think we can have it both ways, w/ a forum and comments here :

ithiliana

Cock_Carousel is oddly…….seductive…..bwwhahahahahahahaha.

I was thinking that it might be too confusing to have Manboobz on LJ so I hadn’t even thought to check!

ithiliana

Molli!

Snowy
Snowy

There you go!

Victoria von Syrus
Victoria von Syrus

I’m just pointing out that, on a forum, the super geeks among us can have really super geeky threads all to ourselves. Have you ever played Mafia on a forum? It’s really fun!

PosterformerlyknownasElizabeth

Before it became passe<-insert that little thingie on the e, Myspace had an epic 200K post long Mafia thread in the News&Politics section. I tried to play but never managed to make it.

Nobby
Nobby

@Ithiliana I did see that! Thanks! I just never formulated a response and then it was so far buried annnnd… I’m a bad person 🙁 Sorry!

But thanks for all that! And I’ll definitely check out Geoff Rymans’ stuff, it’s always interesting to get historical contexts about stories and how they were affected (I’m currently listening to a podcast about Lovecraft’s work which gives lots of background on the works. Cool stuff). I think I’m going to continue on and read Son of a Witch, as I mind adaptations of work less (though your point about male vs female adaptations is well taken. I have had very stupid conversations with a friend of mine about licensed vs fan fiction, but that’s another story…), but I’m going to keep what you said in mind. We’ll see how it goes.

Sarah
Sarah

I have heard of forum Mafia! I am highly intrigued by the idea…

Pecunium

To get accents use &(letter)acute;, comme ça é á To get a grave, put (grave) in after the letter. The cedilla is done with cedil. The tilde is done with..tilde comme ça ˜ Umlauts/diaresis marks are (uml), e.g. noël, Nürberg

Hippodameia
Hippodameia

@AMI: “@Hippodameia Yus I am :3 Any requests? :]”

If you wouldn’t mind, I would love to have a card! 🙂 Whatever looks good to you. IRL I’m an accountant and love dogs, if that’s helpful.

One thing I like about the threads is the way we can talk completely around the trolls, causing them to stamp their little trolly feet in impotent rage. It’s fun.

But I’m sure we’ll still be able to troll-stomp on a forum, and in a forum we could have a separate food thread, so I could post soup recipies there and not in the middle of the Marcotte thread the way I did yesterday.

I also really like the idea of a LiveJournal/Dreamwidth community. Sometimes I’d like to e-mail other posters, but I don’t feel comfortable asking for e-mail addresses in the threads because of the trolls.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

Actually, that’s an interesting point.. There’s a possibility of a private board where commenters can feel free to share personal stuffs without fear of trolls! It’d make organizing meetups and generally gettin friendly much easier. 🙂

ithiliana

Ami: Yep, I’m on LJ nd DW–I consider DW my primarily place, but I crosspost 99% of everything, and read flists and such on both sites!

ithiliana

Re privacy and such: LJ allows for various ways of locking stuff down–the commnity itself could e locked to members only as a default, or posters could lock individual posts down to the community only. Community can be open membership, or approved–lots of options. much more flexible than these others spaces

I have thought several times I’d like to babble EVEN MOAR in detail, but not in public forum like this one.

Ami Angelwings

@Ithiliana same name on LJ?

ithiliana

Ami: yep, Ithiliana on lj too.

ithiliana.livejournal.com

Ami Angelwings

I added you on LJ! :3 My LJ is the big personal blog of me, so you can find out more about me if you want :3

Johnny Pez

Ami Pezwings

And part 2 of my “Magyc: the Gendering” fanfic is now up.

Also too, I’ve switched my vote from “against” to “no opinion”.

ithiliana

Last comment before I go off to watch Jon and Stephen: I’d love to have comments here for mocking trolls and such. The forum could serve the purpose for all sorts of others topics. And the LJ/DW for people who are not born to interface with forums!

Night all!

p.s. Nooby — no problem, truly! I’d love to talk more books and adaptations and such when you hae time, but I loved writing that for its own sake, and I learned some stuff along the way. I just didn’t want you to think I’d ignored you!

I’m starting to like the idea of forums too. Like CB, these days I never seem to get here before things get out of hand.

Also, I’m on the road trip from Hell and I don’t wanna wait for the next open thread to whine/regale about it.

Kave
Kave

I’d like a forum. I’d like to recommend a number of books to mral for instance, something that is not cohesive to a blog format.

amandajane5
amandajane5

Yup, and me too, and I couldn’t resist, so…registered this one: http://cock-carousel.livejournal.com/

All suggestions/opinions desired!

Ami Angelwings

Okay I’m not done reading it yet Pez, but I’m laughing FAR too hard at the MRAL stuff xD And actually I didn’t imagine him as being how HE imagines himself.. I imagine him as a noble warrior who’s just afraid of enemies bigger than him, but now you give me the idea to in a little expansion set have him lose his eye xD (and maybe get some height curse or something… xD)

NiceGuy I’ll prolly finesse to sound more like a name… maybe Nisgai or something xD

Ami Angelwings

Finished, that was awesome xD I loved the dialogue and some parts had me laughing a lot xD I liked how you incorporated Scott Adams into it xD

Did you notice that I mentioned you and Kristin in my latest land card cycle?

Johnny Pez

I did indeed. I’m not sure what sort of relationship you’re implying between me and Kristin. We’re just good friends. All that other stuff was completely blown out of proportion.

Ami Angelwings

xD

mostly i’m implying the mechanism that led to your fall

Johnny Pez

How about Nuyzghai? I can always revise the blog post to fit.

Ami Angelwings

Are there any big name MGTOWers? b/c the order of the great trunk is supposed to be the MGTOWers, and so you can just substitute some big name from that :]

Nobby
Nobby

Wow, good stuff Pez and Ami! I just got to reading all the back story. I eagerly await the next parts 🙂

Hippodameia
Hippodameia

“And part 2 of my “Magyc: the Gendering” fanfic is now up.”

You, sir, are wildly funny. 🙂

“I liked how you incorporated Scott Adams into it xD”

I love Admiral Dilbert!