self-promotion

Forum or Againstum?

Man Boobz Forum (Artist's Conception)

Given that the comments section of this blog continues filling up and spilling over I thought I’d revisit the notion of a Man Boobz forum, as a kind of supplement to the comments on posts here.  Let me know what you think by voting in the poll over there to your right, and by commenting below. [NOTE: The poll vanished from the sidebar for a bit but is back up now.]

The pros, as I see them: A forum would make it easier for you all to introduce topics or non-topics of your own, to do things like plan Man Boobz get-togethers, to pimp your own blogs and other projects (like Ami’s magnificent cards). The cons: it might draw energy and focus away from comments here.

I really like the dynamic we’ve got going in the comments here – the mixture of serious and not-so-serious, on-topic and off – and don’t want to screw that up. (I also think the Weekend Open Threads are working out pretty well and will keep them going.) But I’m sort of thinking we can pull this off.

I’ve already got a forum set up on proboards; all I need to do is click a button to make it public.

What say you all?

PS: There’s an obscure lesbian folk song reference hidden in this post. (Not so obscure, I guess, if you’re into lesbian folk songs.) Whoever can identify it first wins an Internet.

Ami Angelwings

Hrm.. I think if there’s a forum, almost everybody here would be on there, and this site might wilt : or it’d be split and ppl would feel v stressed trying to keep up w/ both :

Tabby Lavalamp
Tabby Lavalamp

When I first voted, I was a brand new commenter so I felt uneasy voting. Now that the new commenter smell has worn off I have no problem saying that I’m pro-forum. They’re a great way of keeping track of topics, it’s easier to find where you left off if you go away and there are a hundred new posts, and there’s room for more discussion outside of the blog posts.

That said, I can see how it would quiet down the comments on the blog posts, especially when they go off topic. But as long as you have MRAs who would rather just post a blog comment without needing to sign up, there should always be activity.

Ami Angelwings

That or just move the whole site to a forum system >_>

Sarah
Sarah

I am highly pro-forum. I think it’ll make it wasier to have all kinds of on and off topic discussions, and I still think we’ll keep the energy here. Can I get my Aceriman vampire minions to vote in the poll too?

ithiliana

I love the comment threads here, but it is can be a pain to track the convo.

OTOH, I loathe the whole interface/feel/look of forums, and never participate in them.

At the risk of splitting even more things, anybody interested in a LiveJournal OR Dreamwidth Manbooz spin off? (I voted Whateves on the poll because if people want it, they should darn well get it!).

Oh, and I thought it was v. funny that one troll (don’t remember which, they were spewing all over the last few threads) thought there were MODERATORS, ahahahaha.

Way to show you don’t know the space you’re spewing in.

(Although if David has a whole sooper sekrit team of moderators locked up working nite and day on this blog, I will have to admit my error).

ScrappyB
ScrappyB

I would like to see an actual forum for the off-topic stuff. I usually read the comments on blow that I follow, I’ve given up reading the comments here. Mainly because it’s so tedious wading through hundreds of comments that have nothing to do with the actual blog post.

Sarah
Sarah

Man, I wanna be a sooper sekrit mod. It’d make me feel important, and conspiratorial… >_>

Gabriel Johnson (@gabjoh)

Cris Williamson?

Hi, I’m gabjoh; long time listener, first time caller.

Simone Lovelace

I would totally frequent a Man Boobz forum. Especially if there were threads about $MONEY$.

ithiliana

i should admit that i might well follow you all to the forum if it’s a go because, um, well BACON!

but i may grumble.

amandajane5
amandajane5

@ithiliana

I’d be on with a LJ comm – we could co-mod! 🙂

I gave up on forums after TWoP had so many people that the forums no longer remembered the last thing you read (I’m totally dating myself here, aren’t I, but whevs, I’ve been on TWoP since the MBTV days, my login there doesn’t even have the 5 on the end!) so I’m iffy. I mean, if it means I could totally get Ami to make me a magyc card, that would be teh awesome, but watching people take down the ridiculous trolls is my favorite part of this site.

Maybe give it a trial time and see?

Pecunium

Against ’em. I happen to like comment thread based communities. Fora don’t really work for me,and they tend (IMO) to be harder for 1: new people to feel comfortable in, and 2: become a bit closed in terms of opinon.

As a class we happen to trend (strongly) toward a feminist viewpoint (i.e. people should be equal). We get a fair bit of traffic from people who are not as strongly of that opinion… because they see the top post (or namecheck themselves on Google… say DKM) and come to see what the fuss is.

That will be a lot less on a forum. If it were a forum, I’d not be here (because my housemate would never have mentioned it to me). But we’d not have gotten the annit’s, the MRALs, the EWMEs, etc.

OT’s and topic drift are good enough for me (and there are any number of quite successful blogs that do that. Ta-Neisi Coates, Making Light, Slacktivist, Balloon Juice, etc.).

aMiRA
aMiRA

Please, get a forum and leave the comments section to the adults.

aMiRA
aMiRA

Unfortunately, only women count as people under feminism, so yes, you do believe in equality among humans, you’ve just defined away men.

aMiRA
aMiRA

I find it amusing that you girls always reject the notions of your female natures, but all of this clamoring over wanting forums pretty much confirms the differences in how women and men think. Men want to debate, women want to gossip, men want on topic discussions, women want to sit around and make silly cards, men want to discuss rights, laws and equality, women want to share stories about the Alpha somebody had sex with. I do hope you all go off to your chittering, and maybe we can get some real discussion going.

Ion
Ion

I think you could fill up a forum just with Ami’s multiple personalities… (:

Tabby Lavalamp
Tabby Lavalamp

Please, get a forum and leave the comments section to the adults.

So you’d no longer be in the comments section?

I’m even more for it now!

I do enjoy the fact that you keep deliberately using the word “girls”. Even if your posting history shows that you have no idea what actual debate and discussions involve, your use of language shows that you have no real interest in actual debate or discussions.
You may consider yourself an intellectual giant, but you’re nothing more than a pestering gnat.
But please, keep feeding the MRA stereotype. You make it easier to not take you seriously.

Ami Angelwings

They SHOULD! xD I’ll be the ENTIRE FORUM >:3

I like this idea! We should get rid of ALL the commenters here and just replace them w/ me XD

Amion

Pecunami

Kamirby Wamirp

Darksideamicat

AMIslave

AMI

Ami A. Angelwings

PosterformerlyknownasElizabeth

That was rude Ion, even for you.

PosterformerlyknownasElizabeth

I did want to post something funny that happened at work today to demonstrate a marked difference in how men and women approach feeding a lot of people but there is no place to put it at the moment and it will not be as funny by the Friday Dance Party.

aMiRA
aMiRA

Post it here. This should be good.

Snowy
Snowy

Aww put it here Elizabeth! You know you want to.

aMiRA
aMiRA

I changed my mind. Nobody wants to hear your inane female squawking.

Tabby Lavalamp
Tabby Lavalamp

All of a sudden I feel like a complete dunce.

Amion

Pecunami

Kamirby Wamirp

Darksideamicat

AMIslave

AMI

Ami A. Angelwings

Errrrrr… aMiRA?

Graham

That’s a bingo!

Is that how you say it? That’s a bingo?

dan
dan

Blimey, Ion, you should be careful…..Borges devoted a whole book to Ami.

Magical Laura

I don’t post too much here but read everyday. I would love a forum! I like the comment threads, but they move so fast I always miss things and have to interrupt the train of conversation to reply to someone hours later.

PosterformerlyknownasElizabeth

Remember how men hunted the mammoth for us? Today, in a burst of patriotic feelings and to say thank you for all the hard work the clerks do for the judges, the judges decided to hold a barbeque.

The female judges were assigned to bring or obtain chips, sodas, condiments, toppings, desert, the buns, plates and plastic ware.

The male judges were assigned potato salad, coleslaw, ice, hamburgers and hotdogs as well as finding a grill to cook the meat on.

The female judges brought enough chips, sodas, condiments, toppings, deserts, buns and plastic wear to feed 100 people (about sixty people were expected to be there.)

The male judges brought potato salad, cottage cheese, just barely enough hamburgers, not enough bratwurst and no grill or hotdogs.

The male judges had to do a lot of driving this morning.

Papr1ka
Papr1ka

I definitely agree with Magical Laura. The comments sections here are always awesome, but I sometimes have a hard time keeping up whilst trying to go about my day. A forum would be great =D

PosterformerlyknownasElizabeth

I guess the reason I found it so funny was not only did they have less stuff to obtain, they were solely responsible for the meat and yet they could not even manage that much. Or the means to make it fit for human consumption.

Fuck MRAs
Fuck MRAs

Don’t feel bad Tabby Lavalamp. She got me too. I laughed my ass off. xD

amandajane5
amandajane5

filetofswedishfish

I vote yes on a forum sort of a thing, or an IRC or something. I have a hard time following these threads sometimes, unless I sit online ALL DAY. And I can’t do that, usually.

Hippodameia
Hippodameia

“The best bit was the actual MRA who was all “finally, a voice of reason!” Freaking hilarious.”

He actually invited her to come and hang out with him and his “intelligent” friends, all the while calling Ami nasty names and saying she was delusional. I almost wish he’d come back so we could laugh at him some more.

Ami, are you still doing cards?

feminijtihad
feminijtihad

I’m also pro-forum and I’d be happy to help mod.

sarahejones

I’m pro-forum and I’d be happy to help mod.

speedlines
speedlines

He can spot a cult a mile away, but can’t identify a sockpuppet when it bites him on the ass.

FelixBC
FelixBC

I’d like comments to be numbered, and easier to get to, instead of reloading and reloading to work my way back through 600 posts* on the latest threads (even more fun on an iPhone!). If a forum format would help with that, then maybe give it a try. I just wonder if energy will be pulled away from staying on topic under a given posting.

*Yes, I read them all. Let’s not get into why, or how long that takes.

FelixBC
FelixBC

Um, Tabby, someone did tell you, last thread. But then, easily missed, if still breathless with anger from aMiRAL’s dead on Poe. Scary good, she is.

Pecunium

I’m with Felix. A longer list of, “recent comments” and the ability to click/shade them would be really nice. More useful to me than a forum. As is is fine, I keep windows open, but I can lose track of older comment threads.

AbsintheDexterous
AbsintheDexterous

I voted forum, still. And I don’t think that it will kill the threads here.

The Comics Curmudgeon has both as well, and those comment threads still get about 200-400 comments. You may run into people who only read one or the other, but I’m sure that some people will read both.

Pecunium

I don’t think it will kill threads. I just think it will be a very different sort of place. I also know that I’m not likely to use one.

Ami Angelwings

@Hippodameia Yus I am :3 Any requests? :]

Did everybody see my latest cycle of lands btw? :3

Nobby
Nobby

So, i was totally not sure about aMiRA. I feel kind of stupid. Oh, well, Ami is just way too good at parody.

Anywhoo, as to the Forums/comments, I feel like forums would work a little better for me. I had to shut myself off from the site while at work (else it sucks my time like crazy) and so catching up can be really hard some days. Forums would make this a little easier.

Also, just saw you get your first wish, Pecunium. Kind of a shock when i reloaded the page, though.

Ami Angelwings

I was about to say! I was going to suggest earlier today if we could have longer list of comments, but I didn’t know if it was possible! this is much better :3

Bee
Bee

I’m an old fart. Can we replace the blog and comment threads with some kind of phone tree? Thanks, David.

Nobby
Nobby

@Ami I don’t have one yet >.>

Ami Angelwings

@Tabby @Fuck MRAs you should ask ppl here how this first started xD I didn’t even use another name the first time and a few ppl were convinced I’d been hacked xD

1 2 3 4