misandry misogyny MRA rape rapey reactionary bullshit scott adams

Screech it from the mountaintop

Not me.

Here’s an interesting case study in how one’s ideology can color one’s perception of the world:

The blogger behind Gucci Little Piggy – he used to comment here, but alas I can’t remember his name — took notice of my last little post about Scott Adams. Here’s what he wrote about it:

Many are calling Adams a misogynist – none are screeching this pejorative louder than David Futrelle who may finally get that honorary castration that he’s been working so hard for.

Setting aside that somewhat surreal bit about castration, what’s interesting about this comment is that I didn’t actually “screech [that] pejorative” — loudly or otherwise – in my recent posts about Adams. No need to shout, or screech, something that at this point is pretty obvious. In my last post on Adams, I mocked his narcissism, not his misogyny. In my earlier post on the Pegs and Holes nonsense, I wrote this:

It goes without saying that Adams’ notions of human sexuality are profoundly insulting to both men and women . On the one hand, he’s suggesting that men are basically all potential rapists walking around with, er, turgid pegs;  and, on the other, he seems to regard women as little more than passive (if stubbornly recalcitrant) receptacles for these male “pegs.”

I think it’s pretty clear to anyone who has been paying attention that Scott Adams is a misogynist. I also think it’s pretty clear that he’s a misandrist as well. (Two great prejudices that taste great together!) I’ve explained why I think this, and cited the specific things he’s said that have led me (and rather a lot of other people) to these conclusions. The only “screeching” going on here is in Gucci Little Piggy’s imagination.

@Louie:

“Women have equal rights…. the goal now is equal or better outcomes through coersion.”

If you know anything about civil rights movements, you know that even after the laws on the books are equal, it takes generations to get rid of prejudice. In the case of women, it will take a lot longer to get men to respect women’s voices in the same way they respect other men, to stop groping on public transit, and to equally employ both men and women based on merit rather than gender (affirmative action measures are supposed to be temporary, to forcibly subvert hiring bias. Once this bias is gone, there is no need for AA).

Louie

“1. Free daycare for children starting from age 1.

2. Mandatory paid parental leave for new mothers AND new fathers.”

The absence of these things doesn’t indicate oppression.

“That right there would take care of pretty much all the issues that lead to systemic pay inequalities like the ones we saw in the Wal-Mart case.

I’m so coercive!”

Yes, if you want women to get the same promotions and the same wages on the basis of gender rather than working the same hours, you are interested in equal outcome through coercion and privilege.

SallyStrange
SallyStrange

Louie

On abortion. I’ve paid for various ones, Ive paid for one in Senegal, I’ve flown women out of countries where they were not available to ones where they are, I’ve even done that for someone that I hadn’t even fucked and the time. I’ve sat in the waiting rooms and waited… the thing is this, I want one of those chairs and the B) why are women generally so unfriendly in those places, the vibe is NOT good in those waiting rooms and its just, well I’d prefer a smile and a bit of a chat.

Louie

“That would be totally no problem, except for the minor, and independently verifiable inconvenient fact that women do most of the child-raising work in our culture.

That’s why I offered those remedies: to give men more incentives to take care of their children and to make it possible for women to both have a career and children. Unless you think it’s better that we all stop having babies.”

Yes if men were given the same flexibility and women were more prepared to support men as stay at home dads the wage gap would decrease. But in sweden the mothers still chose to take the bulk of the leave, and use the husbands…. you will not get your equal outcomes without coercion.

SallyStrange
SallyStrange

Geez, how dare those women be wrapped up in whatever problem brought them to that place and neglect their womanly duty of being constantly pleasant and entertaining to every single man they meet!

Holly Pervocracy

So, I know this is judgy and stuff, but…

Just sayin’.

Again I have to wonder if you mean to be this hilarious.

You’re either a subversive genius or exactly the opposite.

Men's Rights Activist Lieutenant
Men's Rights Activist Lieutenant

Scott Adams is a member of Mensa.

Conversation is over.

Holly Pervocracy

I got perfect SATs at age 14.

CONVERSATION OVER.

No, not really, because I can still be wrong about shit. “Intelligence” is not something that can be proven once and then rested upon.

KristinMH

@sally, we *nearly* got universal childcare in Canada in (I think) 2006…but the Liberals who were proposing it were defeated and the Conservatives, who claimed they were for “choice” in childcare, won…and started paying out $100/month for each child under 6 in the household.

Yeah, big help there. That’s what, 2-3 nights babysitting?

@Louie, there’s a name for an open relationship that only one partner is aware of.

The name is “cheating”.

And there’s a name for someone who seriously thinks that sort of behaviour is OK.

The name is “dickbag”.

SallyStrange
SallyStrange

“But in sweden the mothers still chose to take the bulk of the leave, and use the husbands…”

Are you a libertarian? Libertarians are obsessed with coercion. It’s silly, considering that we are an obligate gregarious social species.

Nobinayamu
Nobinayamu

Yeah, it’s just not that hard to be a member of MENSA. Sorry. Being impressed about a MENSA is like being impressed by a wine cellar.

Nobinayamu
Nobinayamu

Typo: “…a MENSA member…”

ithiliana

She should have respected the fact that I was in an open relationship.

Open relationship with HER? Had you told HER? And why wasn’t she in an OPEN relationship with you?

*makes no sense*

PosterformerllyknownasElizabeth
PosterformerllyknownasElizabeth

I thought the point in an open relationship was that you are not cheating because you can date or sleep with someone who is not your main partner so how was your girlfriend cheating on you if that is the case…or does open mean “the man can do whatever he wants but that woman better keep her ass at home?”

Victoria von Syrus
Victoria von Syrus

Scott Adams is a member of Mensa.

Being a member of Mensa doesn’t necessarily mean that one is also a decent and upstanding human being. You can be in Mensa and still be an absolute turd burglar.

Louie

“Actually, they changed that: they made it so that unless the father takes a certain amount of the leave, the leave is simply not available. That was three or four years ago, and it’s already having a dramatic effect on social norms there. Of course, it’s not mandatory for people to take it, it’s mandatory for employers to offer it. If the men don’t take the leave then the couple simply gets less leave overall. So, no coercion, unless you count coercing the employers into making the option available.”

Ok, I have a different source that tells me that leave can be traded, she can use his. Sweden still has a large wage gap despite all these efforts.

Anyway, wage gap is b/s. Women work shorter hours and so get paid less BUT, they make up for the difference in spades because they have an invisible income streams, the husband, partner, child support, divorce settlements… if you want to see who has the most money, compare the shoes, clothes and luxury items owned and consumed by the average couple.

Holly Pervocracy

sarahejones

Mensa doesn’t mean too much, as far as I’m concerned. They base admissions on IQ tests and IQ tests offer a limited perspective on a person’s total intelligence. I had one test of nonverbal intelligence administered in high school and have never taken another one. There’s no point to it.

Louie

“This seems like “everyone is in a middle-class nuclear family” logic. And it also ignores the fact that money gotten from a husband or partner is ultimately under his control and can be revoked (more or less) at his whim, so it doesn’t represent real power the way a woman’s own money does.”

No they are taxed as a unit, the money isn’t the husbands its their, the money is legally theirs and he can be evicted from the house at any given moment, compare the shoes, the clothes and the luxury items and the consumables.

@Louie

“No they are taxed as a unit, the money isn’t the husbands its their, the money is legally theirs and he can be evicted from the house at any given moment”

Louie

She is more like a landowner and he is the tenant.

Holly Pervocracy

Louie

“Wait what? So any wife anywhere can take complete control over the family’s finances and pack the husband off just for the hell of it? The hell you talking about?”

No fault divorce, he is really just a tenant, he can be evicted or forcibly removed on a whim in fact a rental agreement with a landlord is more secure in many ways.

@Louie:

You’ve lost me completely. The situation you are describing does not exist. Does not compute. Error. Error.

Could you explain, please? Exactly how is being a man in a mariage like being a tenant, and is being the woman in a marriage like being a landowner?

Louie

“I don’t know what the MRAs have told you about divorce law, but I understand it’s a lot more complicated than “if the wife wants the husband out of the house, he leaves it and all its value solely to her.”

No obviously the one in the house doesn’t get every last piece of everything, and the husband can hopefully rent a small apartment from another landlord afterwards.

Holly Pervocracy

The only times a man is going to be forcibly removed from his house are:

-If he’s being arrested for abusing his wife (and she’s lucky enough to get police to believe her and enforce the law, which trust me is not always)

and

-If a court has ruled (and they do not always, or even usually) that the house belongs solely to the wife.

But it doesn’t just happen in the normal course of a no-fault divorce. When my parents split up, they split the money from the sale of the house. Divorce courts don’t generally award the women 100% of the assets.

Holly Pervocracy

Also, if she’s been working and bringing in money, keeping the house, raising the children if any, and her name is on the title–it’s not really “his” house. It’s theirs. Maybe not 50-50, but it’s not like she was a houseguest or something. She’s been working too.

Louie

I see my joke about the open relationship has gone down like a friendly smile and a wink at an abortion clinic.

Holly Pervocracy

Deed, not title. Anyway.

@Louie:

I see your sense of humor is woefully underdeveloped, as people thought it was a joke until you started acting serious about it. So, how exactly is being married like being in a landowner/tenant situation?

Lyn
Lyn

Also, consumables…I wonder if cars count? Many men I know have much nicer cars than their partners and make expensive improvements to the engine etc. because that is what is important to them, they are happy (plus it’s more socially acceptable) to wear jeans and sneakers out and about if it means they have a nicer car.

Louie

“Divorce courts don’t generally award the women 100% of the assets.”

That’s because we live in an oppressive patriarchy.

@Louie:

At least have some self-respect, man! When you make a bald assertion, then have it handed back to you on a platter, don’t just give up. Go for the glory, or don’t bother in the first place! Do you really want to begin an NWO-style slide into self-deprication?

Louie

“Also the *LOOK AT THEIR SHOES!!!*, clearly men have less money because their shoes aren’t as nice… My dad wore much nicer shoes than my mum throughout their marriage cos dad had an office job and mum stayed at home.”

Add up total women’s wages and total men’s, then factor in male to female relationship cash and asset transfer…. there is a huge and invisible male to female cash and asset transfer that more than makes up for the wage gap.

“Underdeveloped sense of humour”

Ok, I’ve something do, and some video tapes to return.

sarahejones

I see your American Psycho reference and am disturbed.

Holly Pervocracy

“Divorce courts don’t generally award the women 100% of the assets.”
That’s because we live in an oppressive patriarchy.

And this is what we call “not arguing in good faith,” children.

Facing proof that men are not as oppressed as you thought? Immediately resort to “well, you want men to be oppressed, so there!”

@Louie:

So… working women and stay-at-home dads don’t factor in here? What about all that female to male cash transfer? What about women and men who both work? And…

Oh now really. “there is a huge and invisible male to female cash and asset transfer that more than makes up for the wage gap.”

Are you serious? So men earning money and giving it to women should more than make up for women making less money at a job simply because they are women? It’s almost like you think women should stay in the kitchen or something…

Ami Angelwings

I think at this point we need to know what framework Louie is working from xD Like what his worldview is, what he believes is happening in society, why and how… and what he thinks feminism is up to…

Like… how does feminism control the world? Specifically make laws if there are mostly male law makers? What’s the mechanism for our control? o_O And how did he come to know that this mechanism is at work?

Or.. what is feminism out to do? What does feminism believe and are attempting to do in… like employment law? Or childcare for men? If feminism rules the world how come it doesn’t just happen like *snap*? xD

In what ways is our society a feminist state? Specific ways… and what should be done about it? xD

etc etc… otherwise we’re arguing w/ a person who is arguing from completely different definitions and beliefs of the world which we don’t see… so.. how can we be convinced? o_O

Holly Pervocracy

Didn’t someone else make that same American Psycho reference a few threads back?

I want to say it was one of Eoghan’s many names, but this guy doesn’t talk quite like Eoghan. It was someone not named Louie.

@Holly:

I think it was Eoghan who made the reference. And Louie probably isn’t him, otherwise we would be talking about false accusations right and left. Unless he’s realized he can change tactics as well as names?

sarahejones

Exactly why I’m disturbed by it! MRAs making American Psycho references= a return to the nightmares that visited me after I read that damn book. Is that a thing now? MRAs and American Psycho? Jeebus.

Ami Angelwings

Eoghan has many beliefs as far as I can tell, he has one obsession (that he’ll eventually drag it to xD ) but it doesn’t mean it’s the only thing he wants to fight about xD

I’m still curious about this guy’s worldview tho :3 I mean it’d be easier than constantly asking questions or being accused of being dishonest… if he laid it out then everybody can hash it out… OR he might convince us! :3

Bee
Bee

Shhhhhh …. Louie’s been listening in!

We should keep it down to a whisper.

sallystrange

So, Louie, you never answered my question: do you subscribe to the Lamarckian concept of evolution?

Ami Angelwings

I feel like singing Louie Louie xD could be like his theme song! Like in wrestling!

“Louie Louie” hits and Louie walks out to massive heat! He gets into the ring w/ a mic and glares at the crowd. He brings the mic to his mouth, still glaring.

“SHUT UP YOU BUNCH OF FEMINISTS! You’re just trying to oppress me because you know… I’m the GREATEST THERE WAS, THE GREATEST THERE WILL BE AND TH…”

THE KIRBY’S DREAMLAND THEME MUSIC HITS!!! THE CROWD GOES CRAZY! IT’S KIRBY WARP!!! Louie looks STUNNED!!!

kirbywarp

And Kirbywarp enters the ring, slowly padding up to Louie. He opens his mouth, HE EATS LOUIE! Wait, what’s this? He’s spit louie out again, he’s gained Louie’s abilities!

… Hang on, this is highly unusual. Kirby’s, yes.. Kirby has spit out Louie’s powers! Looks like he really is worthless! That really must have stung…

Ami Angelwings

GOOD LAWD ALMIGHTY KING!!!

This is wrong JR! He can’t do that to Louie! It’s insulting! Louie is a true American hero!

Ami Angelwings

Has nebody noticed by the way that Louie’s way of quoting others (no italics, using quotation marks) is exactly the way that Eoghan and his last guy he pretended to be does it? It’s a bit unusual, which is why it caught my eye xD

Bee
Bee

Hush your mouth, Ami Angelwings! I do that too. It’s because of that one time, when I broke the thread through sloppy html, and turned everything ital. Rather than trying to force myself to be more careful, I’m just trying not to use tags anymore. Unless I really need to. Don’t want everything to turn into one long blockquote!