links

Internetty goodness from two Friendz of Man Boobz

This picture has nothing to do with the post. But it's Debbie Harry in a Girl Scout uniform. How awesome is that?

Just wanted to highlight some internetty goodness from two Friendz of Man Boobz:

Ozymandias, whose blog post “Who Cares About Men’s Rights?” went all viral recently, has started up a new blog called No, Seriously, What About Teh Menz?, devoted to promoting men’s rights. Not “Men’s Rights” as most MRAs define it, but, you know, the actual rights of actual men. And she’s got a great post about Fathers’ Day, and her particular father, up today.

Meanwhile, Holly Pervocracy, fresh from the Man Boobz/Pervocracy (or is that the Pervocracy/Man Boobz) meetup on Friday, slices and dices a very dumb piece in the Washington Times on all women being whores the “economy of sex.”

ozymandias42

Thank you David! My dad is awesome, jsyk.

Jeff

David,

Longtime reader, first time commenter. Love the blog. Just thought you might be interested in a post I just put about so-called “reverse sexism.” I think it addresses a lot of common MRA arguments.

-Jeff

Ami Angelwings

http://ami-rants.blogspot.com/2011/06/ugh-o-rape-joke-is-rape-joke-it-isnt.html and i have a rly tiny thing about a stupid male rape joke in a movie! xD (my other longer, serious posts lately are ones I adapted from comments I left on MB XD )

*crickets*

xD

(those are great posts! I often wish I could say something great and personal on Father’s Day but I can’t : or it’d be rly inappropriate and a huge downer : )

speedlines
speedlines

OMG MUPPETS!

redlocker

These are great posts.

And poor Ami. 🙁 Keep on keeping on.

Jeff

…and I didn’t leave my link: http://mendaredo.com/2011/06/19/reverse-sexism/

darksidecat
darksidecat

“it’d be rly inappropriate and a huge downer ” That sounds somewhat like the reason I have not posted on the father’s day post. I might traumatize you like I did that one cashier a few years back. It was around fathers day when I finally managed to save up enough for my brand new Playstation 3 and a game. When I excitedly went to buy it, the cashier remarked “looks like someone is going to have a very happy father’s day”. I drew back in disgust, and possessively clutched my stuff, “This is for me! If that loser crackhead wants a Playstation, he should get a job, like I did! Like I would spend my hard earned cash on that thieving piece of…” My sister interupted me about there and moved me along, but that cashier was stammering and shocked. I was extra ticked at my father that week because I found out he had been stealing money from my sister, so I went into rage mode a bit quickly there.

Molly Ren

*a bajillion e-hugs for Ami*

Bee
Bee

Holly, my hat’s off to you on your takedown of the Washington Times piece. I keep kind of going back to it and reading a little bit and then giving up all over again in disgust. I like your “one vagina for one penis” marketplace theory; my own is even simpler. It’s more like volunteer work, if I have to analogize. If I don’t like your nonprofit (or, more to the point: you), I’m not gonna volunteer my vagina or my mouth or my hands or any other part of my sexuality. If I like you, I’m not necessarily looking for exact compensation. Maybe some orange juice and a little respect and a name tag. The thought that some writer at the WT says my behavior devalues all women’s sexuality is, frankly, a little enraging. Am I supposed to care, for some reason? My boyfriend, who doesn’t want to get married, would somehow be forced to marry me (I don’t want to get married either), if only I valued the vag higher — and forcing two people into a situation they don’t want to be in is good because it would be beneficial … to … um … other women?

The other reason this piece is really pissing me off is because I spent a long time last week looking at this site, by a photographer who interviewed and went undercover to research women who are sold on the black market. So when people start talking about women’s vaginas having a price tag, excuse me if I start thinking that the next step is luring desperate young women into slavery and abuse. Not quite what the WT is talking about, but … not that far away either.

Holly Pervocracy

Bee – Thanks!

The whole article is pretty muddled, too. The argument seems to be that women all want to get married, and this could happen and make everyone happy, if not for all those darn women who don’t want to get married.

Pecunium

Holly, for some reason I can’t comment. I did want to point out that dowries varied. In England they were the brides property. Her husband managed it, but if they separated (or he predeceased her) the dowry went with/to her (this is the origin of the, “Dowager House”).

It had abuses, I don’t doubt some men killed off unwanted wives to avoid repaying the dowry. I know there were suits about dowries mismanaged.

Holly Pervocracy

You can’t? Stupid Blogger. It’s been having all kinds of problems…

The biggest problems I’ve heard with dowry have been from India, where dowry is such a burden on a family that female fetuses will be aborted to avoid it.

Pecunium

Dowry in modern india is really problematic.

Ami Angelwings

@Darksidecat *big big hugs* I’m so sry : That’s why I dun try to talk about it, and I’m glad nobody’s ever said that to me.. I’m always worried if I start, it’ll all just pour out and I’ll seem like I’m trying to ruin everybody’s day or do a “well what about me!?” thing :

Kave
Kave

Ami

From what I have seen of you here I would be proud to have a daughter like you. It seems like you would have fit into our family very well, it is sad that people get born into the wrong ones!

PosterformerlyknownasElizabeth
PosterformerlyknownasElizabeth

You have a good point about those who wait for marriage who happen to be male Holly. My best friend (who I was in love with for years) is one of the ones who is waiting until he gets married. He is in his thirties now and still waiting. Of all of the women he has ever dated, I was and am the only one completely willing, understanding and accepting of his choice.

Ion

Interesting idea for a blog, unfortunate title. Reminds me of the Good Men Project site, basically male-oriented stuff without the macho, hostile/extremist vibe given off by many MRA sites.

Remains to be seen if they keep up the quality without descending into familiar feminist territory, where women can do no wrong and men can do no right because patriarchy! privilege! mansplaining! (sorry, read Jeff’s post just now. I keep waiting for this mysterious all-powerful patriarchy to advantage me somehow because so far I’m not seeing it. Is there a regional HQ, or do I have to contact my local representative or something?)

Laura Bladen

“where women can do no wrong and men can do no right because patriarchy! privilege! mansplaining!”

You don’t know what these words mean, at least in context. If you did, you’d realise none of them refer to ‘women doing no wrong and men doing no right’. Patriarchy is upheld by men and women. Men and women both have varying amounts of privilege depending on their individual situation. Mansplaining is more tricky, but it has never meant ‘a man explaining’, only ‘a man assuming a woman doesn’t know something that she does, as she is a woman, and trying to explain it to her’. That’s pretty specific. A good example is this article (http://articles.latimes.com/2008/apr/13/opinion/op-solnit13) where a man explains to a woman the merits of a book she wrote, even when she demonstrates a lot of knowledge on the subject.

“I keep waiting for this mysterious all-powerful patriarchy to advantage me somehow because so far I’m not seeing it.”

You don’t see it because it is invisible. And partiarchy or privilege won’t give you magic advantages over other people like you. You have the luxury of being able to ignore the advantages you do have that others don’t, to the point where you are literally blind to it.

I’m a woman, and I don’t mind people saying I have privilege (as I am white, cis etc etc), because it’s true! That doesn’t make me a bad person, it means our culture has some problems and as a result it gives me a lot of unfair advantages compared to others worse off than me. No one is saying white people are bad and nonwhite people are good. It’s just a case of…opening your eyes and looking at the real world.

Laura Bladen

Also, I realise I’m pretty behind but how does this blockquoting malarky work? Not sure of any wordpress tags.

Ion

You don’t see it because it is invisible.

That’s pretty convenient, isn’t it? You get to tell men “there’s something wrong with you but it’s invisible and you can’t see it. But it’s there, trust me because I say so”. Honestly, I have yet to be convinced those terms aren’t just academic buzzwords created to define concepts that don’t exist outside the ‘feminist blogosphere’.

Like I said, my response was mostly a reaction to that guy’s post who was basically arguing that sexism against men doesn’t exist because we live in a world of patriarchy, privilege, and blah blah blah men bad, women get free pass, please forgive me for being male, receive this gift of my balls on a silver platter and allow me to be your faithful lapdog. Yeesh.

pervocracy
pervocracy

Ion – The patriarchy isn’t invisible at all! Here, I have a picture:

That’s the new members of the 112th US Congress.

Now, does this mean that you’re set for life and get free jetskis and blowjobs just for being a man? No. But it’s a bump, a benefit, an improvement in your chances. It makes it less likely that you’ll be too busy staying home with the kids to become a congressperson, and more likely that you’ll “fit in” in currently male-dominated political circles. That’s privilege. Not a guarantee of getting into Congress, but slightly fewer hurdles in the way.

Which does not make you a bad person. Of course it doesn’t: you can’t even help this.

Holly Pervocracy

(David – Disregard the preceding moderated comment; I forgot to login.)

Ion – The patriarchy isn’t invisible at all! Here, I have a picture:

That’s the new members of the 112th US Congress.

Marc
Marc

“I’m a woman, and I don’t mind people saying I have privilege (as I am white,”
say that to the people in Belarus.

“cis etc etc), because it’s true!”

“You don’t see it because it is invisible.”

ngz3120

It will be interesting to see how the “what about teh menz” site goes, I’m presuming that it will be carrying a veiled attempt to attack the men’s movement, fathers rights, victim equality, men openly expressing their painabout the family courts. etc as the theme has come up in every piece on the site about it.

Taking on misandry in the media – its already well developed and counter articles and videos are always made to take down the feminist journalist responsible and there exists hours of video and much literature on the misandry that’s intertwined in the news, sitcoms, advertisements and Oprah type drivel…. its good that male feminist is talking about it because feminists will either listen or mock him and tell him “man up, what about teh mens lol” both outcomes are good in my eyes.

I suggest that the writer reads
Spreading Misandry – The Teaching of Contempt for Men in Popular Culture by Paul Nathanson and Katherine K. Young from 2006

“Paul Nathanson and Katherine Young argue that since the 1990s men have been portrayed in popular culture as evil, inadequate, or honorary women, from Designing Women, Home Improvement, Oprah, and Cape Fear to Hallmark cards, comic strips, and the New York Times columns of Anna Quindlen. The first of a three-part series, Spreading Misandry offers an impressive critique of popular culture to identify a phenomenon that is just now being recognized as a serious cultural problem – misandry, the sexist counterpart of misogyny.

Nathanson and Young urge us to rethink prevalent assumptions about men that result in profoundly disturbing stereotypes that foster contempt. Spreading Misandry breaks new ground by discussing misandry in moral terms rather than purely psychological or sociological ones and by criticizing not only ideological feminism but other ideologies on both the left and the right.”

If he are going to make any sort of serious attempt to take up on men’s movement memes, there needs to be at least some understanding of them.

Plus, if this male feminist writer is going call other whiny, he should try not to sound more whiny than the ones he is labeling whiny.

Ami Angelwings

And if you were trans, the government won’t even recognize you as a man until you get those surgically removed, at your own expense. xD

(i know i know troll in a troll in a troll xD but XDDDD )

ngz3120

Also, isn’t calling MRA’s whiny misogynists the whole time, just a variation of “what about teh menz lol” and a way of policing men for expressing their emotions and pain? The writer has a lot to learn about misandry.

Here is another book for the op of the article that talks about misandry..

The War Against Boys: Cristina Hoff Sommers

The author of the provocative bestseller Who Stole Feminism? returns with an equally eye-opening follow-up. “It’s a bad time to be a boy in America,” writes Christina Hoff Sommers. Boys are less likely than girls to go to college or do their homework. They’re more likely to cheat on tests, wind up in detention, or drop out of school. Yet it’s “the myth of the fragile girl,” according to Sommers, that has received the lion’s share of attention recently, in hot-selling books like Mary Pipher’s Reviving Ophelia. When boys are discussed at all, it’s in the context of how to modify their antisocial behavior–i.e., how to make them more like girls.
This book tells the story of how it has become fashionable to attribute pathology to millions of healthy male children. It is a story of how we are turning against boys and forgetting a simple truth: that the energy, competitiveness, and corporal daring of normal, decent males is responsible for much of what is right in the world. No one denies that boys’ aggressive tendencies must be checked and channeled in constructive ways. Boys need discipline, respect, and moral guidance. Boys need love and tolerant understanding. They do not need to be pathologized.
Sommers eviscerates feminist scholarship by Harvard’s Carol Gilligan, the American Association of University Women, and others. Hers is feisty, muscular prose and fans of Who Stole Feminism? will delight in it. “There have always been societies that favored boys over girls,” she writes. “Ours may be the first to deliberately throw the gender switch. If we continue on our present course, boys will, indeed, be tomorrow’s second sex.” That rhetoric may err on the side of alarmism, but Sommers’ ideas are full of common sense. She essentially urges parents and educators to let boys be boys, even though their “very masculinity turns out to be politically incorrect.” The War on Boys is sure to set off a fiery controversy, just as Sommers’ previous book did–but it should also find a big audience of readers who become fans. –John J. Miller.

ngz3120

Last one for the “what about teh mens” OP.

SOCIAL LIAISON: Is There Anything Good About Men?
5 Jan 2011 … F. Baumeister tackles in his recently released book: Is There Anything Good About Men: How Cultures Flourish by Exploiting Men. …
socialliaison.blogspot.com/…/is-there-anything-good-about-men.html

But my bet is, he won’t be allowed really talk about misandry and real discussion of it will be censored on the “what about teh mens site”.

The affiliation with manboobz, the site dedicated to invalidating mens legitimate issues and pain with the various strawman tactics and mocking casts and the replication of that on this new site casts some doubt over the whole “what about ten menz” operation for me, to be honest.

ngz3120

“Imagine always being the victim of stupid jokes with man boobs and things like that.

(i know i know troll in a troll in a troll xD but XDDDD )”

But you support the mocking of people with Gynecomastia?

Ion – The patriarchy isn’t invisible at all! Here, I have a picture:

That’s the new members of the 112th US Congress.

(…)What makes you a bad person is willfully ignoring this, and thinking “there must be more men in Congress because men are better at governing.”

I’m a personal freedom kind of person myself. Read an article a while ago about a male company owner who was sued and fined for refusing to hire a woman. Needless to say, feminist blogs had a field day celebrating this. Frankly, it disgusted me. If I run a business, am I not allowed to have a say in who gets to work for me? Sorry, not ok.

It’s not exactly a secret that rich white middle-aged men make up the majority of positions of power in the USA. But although I’m not exactly sure how American politics work (because frankly I don’t care), as far as I know there are no laws or rules preventing women from running for congress or whatever political positions. Whether they get elected and how many followers they have is up to the voters though, and you can’t force people’s opinions upon them – well you can, if your name is North Korea or Iran, I guess.

ozymandias42

Plus we, you know, HAVE FATHERS & FAMILIES ON THE FUCKING BLOGROLL.

Laura Bladen

” You get to tell men “there’s something wrong with you but it’s invisible and you can’t see it. But it’s there, trust me because I say so”. ”

Your privilege is invisible TO YOU. It’s obvious to me, and everyone else.

“say that to the people in Belarus.”

I live in the UK, I’m referring specifically to Western culture. Over 90% of my country is white, nearly all of my political representatives are white, etc. etc.

“yes, one is really privileged to be cis. Imagine always being the victim of stupid jokes with man boobs and things like that.”

Not really sure what you’re getting at here. I imagine there are (currently) more disadvantages to being a trans person in Western culture than ‘stupid jokes’?

“the thing that was very visible to me was that I as a male had to serve military service.”

Where are you living? The draft was discontinued in the US in 1973. I’m strongly against forced military service for anyone. I’m sorry this happened to you in the past, but as far as I’m aware it’s not an issue anymore in the West (feel free to correct me if I’m wrong).

“Read an article a while ago about a male company owner who was sued and fined for refusing to hire a woman.”

Link to the article, then. If someone really was sued for simply refusing to hire an individual woman then I for one will get on your side right away. The big question is why did he refuse to hire her, and what evidence of wrongdoing was produced in order for the court case to go forward?

Laura Bladen

“That rhetoric may err on the side of alarmism”

Now there’s a big understatement… I’m not surprised you’re a fan of Sommers, she certainly smacks of misogyny:

“There are a lot of homely women in women’s studies. Preaching these anti-male, anti-sex sermons is a way for them to compensate for various heartaches– they’re just mad at the beautiful girls”

As a super feminist from hell, let me repeat yet again that I love guys and fucking guys, and I love beautiful girls too! Unless they’re assholes, attractiveness doesn’t come into it.

Captain Bathrobe
Captain Bathrobe

Ion

[url=”http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/4289243/4-Guys-but-not-too-many-women”]There you go.[/url] The gist of it is that this man was punished for deciding who gets and doesn’t get to work at his company. I honestly don’t care if the man in question was a complete bastard and this woman was the nicest person in the world, it still doesn’t sit right with me.

Ion

hmm, I guess linking doesn’t work?

filetofswedishfish
filetofswedishfish

I was gone all weekend , and there’s an almost-900-comment thread, not to mention a ton of new posts? Hot damn, am I out of the loop. I suspect once FoSB leaves for training, I’ll be around more, not having friends up here.

All of this economy of sex stuff? I tend to blame on “Freakonomics”. Damn you, Steven Levitt. Econ CANNOT be applied to everything. Not everything is a zero sum game. But then again, we do live in a disgustingly capitalist society, so maybe that lends a little bit to some people ideas that every interaction is like a market interaction. Gross

Also, a very large, bold groundhog has been hanging out in my yard for weeks, and my dog just took out the sliding screen door to get at the thing, which was on my patio eating my tomato plant.

ngz3120

“I am…. honestly not sure where you got the impression, ngz3210, that NSWATM is an anti-father’s-rights blog. To my recollection father’s rights issues have been mentioned exactly once, by me, and quite favorably (saying that one of the examples of sexism against involved fathers is the low rate of fathers being the primary custodial parent). Most of the contributors, as far as I’m aware, are in support of an increased number of men as custodial parents and increased shared parenting.

Plus we, you know, HAVE FATHERS & FAMILIES ON THE FUCKING BLOGROLL.”

Ozy, so far the recurring theme is has been strawman attacking the men’s movement, so in the same way manboobz isn’t really about misogyny its about feminism and strawman attacking the men’s movement, I wager that your new blog is not really about men, but about feminism and strawman attacking the men’s movement.

Laura Bladen

So the guy admits he broke the law and didn’t hire her because he believed she would do an inferior job BECAUSE SHE IS A WOMAN (“car selling is a male-dominated thing”), and you translate that as simply ‘refusing to hire a [individual] woman? Or maybe I was giving you the benefit of the doubt misguidedly and you think it’s cool that people hire according to their own prejudices?

“If I run a business, am I not allowed to have a say in who gets to work for me?”

You can certainly have a say, but it’s illegal to refuse to hire someone based on their gender (or race, or so on). Firstly because those things are irrelevant, but mostly because that way certain groups of people will have an unfair advantage in getting a job. I’m sure you’d be angry if a woman was hired simply for being a woman, what is so different about that and NOT hiring her for being a woman. What is ok about discriminating against someone?

ngz3120

“I’m picturing all of ngz/Eoghan’s comments being uttered by Dwight Shrute from The Office.”

Of course you are, this is manboobz, its either a strawman or a false accusation of abusing women somehow.

Laura Bladen

NGZ, are you gonna point out any of these ‘straw men’?

SallyStrange
SallyStrange

My brother just became a father a few months ago. I’m proud of him, and my father too, because my father taught my brother that it’s not un-manly to come right out and say that he loves his daughter and his lady a whole lot. Which he does, repeatedly, and in public. It’s very sweet and it makes me happy for them.

NWOslave
NWOslave

Hey Commie’s. Any of you actually go over to that Washington Times article and read the comments? It seems the average Joe’s comments kinda read like; Modern day women are shit, a bunch of sluts wanting to be treated like precious, delicate flowers. Totally bereft of compassion and tenderness, ect. ect. Damn misogynists are everywhere. I only read the first 3 pages of comments but there was no white knighting going on at all. It’s almost like hatred was being poured onto them in all spheres of life and they were returning that favor.

@Holly Pervocracy
Nice picture of the 112th congress. Mens “invisible privilege” means more men die of litarally ever major killer disease, combat, homeless, work related, prison, suicide, ect, ect. Quite literally all that privilege means theres way more women voting than men, cause teh menz are either dead or in prison. That’s “your” men batting for womens rights.

Don’t fret, I’m sure this little social experiment will have a real happy ending! And if it doesn’t, it’ll be quite acceptable and even endorsed to place the blame squarely on the shoulders of………drum roll please…….teh menz. Strike up the band! Women once again will be blameless victims. Guess who their evil oppressors are? Yippie!

Ion

Bottom line is he didn’t want to hire her. Why should he be required to give reasons? Why should there be a law forcing him to hire someone he didn’t want? And by the way, what does it say about society when laws are required to make people hire women? Is it all just unfounded prejudice?

I think it’s “cool” when people are allowed to do what they want (and that includes running a business), too bad you disagree. He didn’t go out of his way to hurt this woman. She came to him for employment, he refused, and for that he was penalized.

Actually, I’d just look for work someplace else. Better than forcing someone to hire me who didn’t want me in the first place. I dunno, the whole thing just smacks of “I didn’t get invited to your birthday party, so my mom will call your mom and she’ll force you to invite me or else you’ll be punished!”

Laura Bladen

“It seems the average Joe’s comments kinda read like; Modern day women are shit, a bunch of sluts wanting to be treated like precious, delicate flowers. Totally bereft of compassion and tenderness, ect. ect.”

Then the ‘average Joe’ is a bell-end. Luckily, although he pops up a lot on the internet, he fails to squirm out of the ground to show himself and answer for his bullshit in real life. 99% of the guys I meet IRL are pretty cool with women, and I’ve NEVER met a guy who was anything near as extreme as, say, any comment on the Spearhead. Maybe I’m living in some crazy feminist haven, who knows.

NWOslave
NWOslave

@Laura Bladen

Ion

Funny, I noticed the exact same thing about radical feminists. My theory is that people tend be a lot more honest about their opinions when there’s anonymity involved.

Laura Bladen

“Why should he be required to give reasons? ”

But the woman “received a letter from Mr Wells telling her she was unsuccessful because they were looking for a male to achieve the right balance in their sales team. ” There’s not really enough info on the page, but I’m getting the impression this guy was consistently upfront about his reasons, to the point of spelling them out in the job rejection letter. He gave the reason preemptively.

“And by the way, what does it say about society when laws are required to make people hire women? Is it all just unfounded prejudice?”

That’s a big question. We can say that people are more likely to hire certain groups than others in general (for instance, in one study* identical CVs were sent out, with ‘black’ or ‘white’ sounding names. The pretend white people were 50% more likely to recieve a job offer. Whatever this says about society, it is important that it is not allowed to continue.

“I dunno, the whole thing just smacks of “I didn’t get invited to your birthday party, so my mom will call your mom and she’ll force you to invite me or else you’ll be punished!””

You could make this analogy with a lot of laws. Laws aren’t abritrary, like who you would like to invite to a party.

Laura Bladen

“If you live anywhere in the Western World you DO live in a crazy feminist haven. Those comments aren’t in the bad ole misogynist spearhead, that’s the MSM.”

So? The mainstream media represents all kindof disgusting bullshit, because it makes the world seem more interesting for people. That’s why people buy the Daily Mail. To read about and become scared of things that don’t exist.

PosterformerlyknownasElizabeth
PosterformerlyknownasElizabeth

This guy is just as bad as a hospital refusing to hire a male nurse because “nursing is a female dominated thing.”

Kind of hard to change things if you refuse to even let someone put their foot through the door.