antifeminism creepy I'm totally being sarcastic misogyny MRA oppressed men rape rapey reddit sluts

Men's Rights Reddit explains it all to you

Apparently we feminists simply can’t understand the Men’s Rights Movement, because

feminist ideology is still stuck in the 19th century concept that women are second class citizens when objectively they are in a better position than men. …  The[y] just cannot grasp that in modern western society men are second class citizens.

Luckily, the good fellows at the Men’s Rights subreddit on Reddit are here to put us straight.

Oh, and while they’re at it, they would also like to explain to us at great length why the whole Slutwalk thing is so silly. I mean, telling women to not dress like sluts if they don’t want to get raped is just good common sense! And obviously dudes have a much greater understanding of the topic of rape and personal safety in general than silly ladies with their silly lady brains and their silly tendency to get drunk on silly lady drinks.

Because Reddit Men’s Rights is not completely dominated by retrograde MRA misogynists, there are actually some decent comments mixed in with all the patronizing nonsense. Enjoy?

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

@Titfortat:

Honestly? He’s not bothering me much. But from posts of other people, his words are acting as really bad triggers for them. That’s how MRAL can “beat people up here.” And honestly, having no real triggers of my own, I can only go by what others say for what affects them.

Also if you noticed, he left in a huff rather quickly after my rant against him. Luckily he hasn’t brought up rape again today, but I would say it was at least modestly successful.

Amused
Amused

Actually, ignoring bullies never works — it only emboldens them. Also, I see no reason to assume that MRAL is mentally unstable. We can’t now silence ourselves and shut down all discussion just because some Internet troll who comes here might be depressed, and us refusing to indulge his self-pity might make him depresseder. He’s got problems in his life? Yeah, that’s a rare one.

Johnny Pez

More fuel for the fire: my After Action Report on the Longest Thread Ever. (reposted from the said thread)

David posted at 11:00 AM on June 8, 2011. MRAL began commenting at 12:39 PM.

12:39 12:47 12:50 12:51 12:53 12:58 1:06 1:06 1:44 1:45 1:47 2:28 2:33 2:35 2:36 2:38 2:40 2:43 2:44 2:47 2:48 2:50 2:53 2:57 2:58 3:01 3:04 3:05 3:09 3:18 3:41 3:47 3:52 3:53 3:56 4:00 4:03 4:04 4:06 4:07 4:12 4:18 4:20 4:23 4:26 4:30 8:33 8:42 8:45 8:51 8:56 9:05 9:10 9:16 9:19 9:23 9:24 9:27 9:31 9:34 9:37 9:39 9:41 9:43 9:45 9:50 9:52 9:54 9:56 9:59 10:02 10:03 10:06 10:08 10:10 10:12 10:19 10:21 10:26 10:29 10;31 10:33 10:36 10:39 10:41 10:45 10:49 10:56 10:57 10:59 11:00 11:01 11:03 11:10 11:13 11:15 11:20 11:22 11:24 11:27 11:31 11:32 11:33 11:41 11:55

June 9, 2011

12:30 AM 9:43 9:58 10:11 10:18 10:28 10:39 10:44 11:10 11:12 11:19 11:22 11:29 11:31 11:37 11:40 11:42 11:44 11:46 11:58 12:05 PM 12:06 12:11 12:13 12:16 12:20 12:26 12:27 1:16 1:21 1:22 1:29 1:31 1:40

At this point, MRAL’s comments were becoming so violent that David put him on moderation. MRAL posted one final comment at 5:59 PM and abandoned the thread.

In a thread with 1062 comments (so far), MRAL was responsible for 140 of them, or 13.18% of the total, just over one eighth. Leaving out his final comment, MRAL posted off and on for 25 hours and 1 minute, averaging one post every 10 minutes and 40 seconds.

That’s how you dominate a thread.

Titfortat

That’s how you dominate a thread.(Johnny)

Then boot him. Im not suggesting you meekly let him take over. Im just wondering why intelligent thoughtful people(supposedly) would continue to engage someone they obviously despise. It just doesnt seem rational. Hey, but what do I know, right?

Actually, ignoring bullies never works — it only emboldens them.(Amused)

I know.

Titfortat

Johnny

LMAO, I just looked back on all those numbers. If that aint mentally unstable pinch me. 😉

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

@Titfortat:

Maybe this will help you understand my point of view. I am particularly forgiving to people on the internets, and if they bring up something reasonable to talk about, I will try and discuss it without regard to their past. I’m actually considering changing that for MRAL… But I still feel like I have to address each argument on its own merits. The second MRAL devolves into violence/whining/whatever, the argument has no meritsany longer and he is dissmissable again.

Titfortat

Kirby

Fair enough. I understand your view better now.

Men's Rights Activist Lieutenant
Men's Rights Activist Lieutenant

Alright, fine.

Ami Angelwings

Out of complete randomness

What animal does that silhouette look like to you? (it’s for a facebook game I play xD ) me and my friends think otter platypus, weasel, wolverine… from the side it looks like a ridic fat penguin xD the animals aren’t super cute cartoony animals tho, so it should look more or less like some sort of animal xD

Sry about the off topic :3

Bee
Bee

Bunny.

Ami Angelwings

The problem w/ Bunny is that there’s alrdy a number of rabbits in the game : (hare, lopeared bunny, brown bunny) but it could be another kind of rabbit 😮 (i dunno much about rabbits)

zombie rotten mcdonald

Dog hanging it’s head out the car window when it’s going 40 mph or so.

PosterformerlyknownasElizabeth

Anthropomorphic duck trying to fly.

Molly Ren

Pluto with a mouthful of ham sandwich.

zombie rotten mcdonald

Ham sandwich with a mouthful of Pluto.

Ymata
Ymata

It’s the head of a Swellow! 🙂

Johnny Pez

It’s the Oscar Mayer weinermobile.

Hippodameia
Hippodameia

A manatee seen swimming from below?

ithiliana

Heightsm in general and Intersectionality

David: I read the thread, so I know MRAL is on moderation with restrictions. So instead of posting on heightism (in general) and intersectionality here, which I was preparing, I posted on my Dreamwidth–if any of the Manboobers (???) is interested in a discussion, feel free to join in–I will note that I have all anonymous comments screened, and I will not be available for unscreening and moderation tomorrow because I’m spending all day grading AP exams–the discussion may not move very fast, but i’m not letting any trolls loose over there.

briget
briget

hey MRAL, I’m going to list the heights of all of boyfriends for you (both my current and my exes) oh and I had to ask them for the numbers specifically for this purpose because I honestly didn’t know the height of any of them
so current bf 5’6
ex #1 5’8
ex#2 5’5
ex #3 5’10
ex#4 6’0
I went in chronological order there so ex#4 was my first bf. I actually did not choose to date him, he was the person who my mother attempted to arrange my marriage to. Here’s the deal MRAL. I’m extremely short. As in not even 5’0 short. The taller a guy is, the harder it is to have sex with him. I don’t like dating tall guys for this reason.

Men's Rights Activist Lieutenant
Men's Rights Activist Lieutenant

Even though I want to I can’t talk about my height, Futrelle has threatened me with banning.

Anyway this thread has gone way off topic so I’m linking to another Schwyzer post that I missed earlier:

Does this not remind you of fascism? Or at least totalitarianism? He wants young women to refuse to date and/or break up with all older men (probably breaking some hearts in the process) because it might hurt older women’s FEELINGS. Fuck him. That little fucking asshole.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

@MRAL:

He isn’t trying to force young women to not date older men, so no fascism or totalitarianism. Even so, I personally don’t agree with his analysis. Telling young women and older men they can’t date because of its affect on other people is like saying a white and black man shouldn’t date because of its affect on others.

There is a problem with older women being viewed as “past their expiration date” and this is a mindset that needs to change, but Schwyzer isn’t providing a viable solution. No need to get violent though, MRAL, he is just stating his opinion, and there’s nothing wrong with that.

Men's Rights Activist Lieutenant
Men's Rights Activist Lieutenant

I’m not being violent, I’m making an concentrated effort to get my anger issues under more control. I just don’t like him.

Mr. Kobold
Mr. Kobold

“Does this not remind you of fascism? Or at least totalitarianism?”

You need to start going to class kid, cause if you think that the, in my frank opinion bone-headed and pretentious, intellectualizing of the plot of “Something has Got to Give” is fascism then clearly you aren’t getting much schooling.

thefemalespectator

Honestly, MRAL, I way prefer older men (it takes much less energy to communicate with them, for starters)–but Schwyzer is right about the power dynamics. Even with a really great guy the younger woman, if she’s serious, will end up getting hurt. The situation does improve after women hit 25, as he suggests. But he’s also right that there’s a terrible perception about older women–that we’re resentful, jaded, bitter, and that everything is just so much easier and more pleasant with younger, more innocent women. Well, that’s certainly the case, but accepting that’s the way it should be puts men’s insecurities at the center of a relationship. Personally, I like guys who believe in themselves and can handle adults; the May-December women will feel the same way some day, too. It is easy to stroke a man’s ego, get a positive reaction, and feel all womanly about yourself, but that’s the behavior of a child, not a woman. Also, it encourages vanity, which is not attractive in men or women.

Plymouth
Plymouth

I only date boys who are younger than me. (but not like lots younger – my fiance is a year and a half younger than me. I think my largest ever age diff was like 4 years – I was 23 and he was 19). ONE time I made an exception and dated a guy who was older than me… by a month. It went terribly horribly wrong. So I went back to my “only younger boys” policy.

Lady Raine

I totally agree with preferring younger men. I never even realized that I was “selecting’ younger men until I counted back in my mind and was surprised to discover that I have never dated anyone older than myself…..and have only dated one guy who was my own age. I usually stay in the “2-4 years younger” range, also (agreed with Plymouth).

And not to drag the heightism thing back from the dead, but from what I’ve seen….it’s mostly taller women who prefer taller men and it seems likely that perhaps MRAL is just NOTICING those women (and their choices) more than the women who either don’t care/like shorter men.

I can admit that I prefer somewhat taller men, but I’m also 5’7, like to wear heels, and mostly pick taller men because I’ve noticed the shorter ones are sensitive about MY height in comparison to theirs.

So I’m sure there’s some validity to MRAL saying that “many women prefer taller men”, but I don’t think he realizes that 9 times out of 10 they are choosing that way because of their OWN height….not a hatred of short guys.