self-promotion

Meetups and Book Clubs all tied up with string. These are a few of my favorite things.

Note: Actual Man Boobz meetups may vary.

Last night, many hundreds of comments into what would become Man Boobz’ first 900-plus comment thread, an idea arose: a Man Boobz meetup! Specifically, a Boston-area MB meetup, since a lot of MB commenters seem to live around there. Holly – the awesome lady behind the excellent blog The Pervocracy – stepped up to organize the thing.

And thus was born the first of what quite possibly could be many Man Boobz/Pervocracy meetups, tentatively scheduled for 6pm on Friday, June 17th at the Prudential Center Food Court in Boston. If you’re in the area and want to attend, post a comment below and/or get in touch with Holly directly. (Email her at pervocracy@gmail.com.) I’ll post about it again before it happens, so if there are any changes in the details you all will know about it.

Also: for those Man Boobzers who live in and around Chicago, I’ll be organizing a meetup here too, probably within the next couple of weeks. If you’re in the area and want to attend, post below! I’ll do my best to accommodate everyone’s schedules, find places for people to crash, and so on.

There’s also talk about a Toronto meetup.

If anyone else reading this blog wants to get a meetup going in your area, post below! There are Man Boobzers all over the map. Let’s make this happen.

Meanwhile, some other Man Boobzers have set up a book club on Library Thing. Which is also amazing.

I am really happy to see this sort of thing happening, and honored, really, that so many of you all have found a little online home on this blog. And I want to do whatever I can to facilitate this. I’m still considering the possibility of a Man Boobz forum, though I’m not quite sure that the peculiar dynamics that propel so many of the discussions here into sprawling hundreds-of-posts-long threads would work as well on a forum. People here seem fairly evenly divided on the idea. So I’m holding off on that, at least for now, but if there’s enough demand for it I can set up a forum pretty much instantly. Post your thoughts below!

Also: I know a lot of you are broke (as am I), but if you have a few bucks to spare I’d like to once again plug the Man Boobz store., which has awesome “We Hunted the Mammoth” and other t-shirts and assorted products, designed by the awesome JohnnyKaje, who also designed the main Man Boobz banners. (Shaenon also contributed a lovely drawing of an evil cupcake.)

And finally: If you want to help Man Boobz take over the internets, promote the fuck out of the posts here with the little “share” buttons. Links bring traffic, and traffic brings more regular readers and commenters into the Man Boobz fold. Heh heh.

And finally finally, keep sending along suggestions for posts. Quite a few of my recent posts have been inspired by links people sent me. (If you send along a suggestion, and you’d like me to credit you in the posts, let me know; I’ve been assuming people would prefer anonymity.)

Thanks again, everyone!

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

hmm, if you change the gravatar, does that retroactively change posts as well?

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

yes… yes it does. *rubs hands together evily* >:D

Victoria von Syrus
Victoria von Syrus

I live in the Los Angeles area, if there are any other Californians near me!

PosterformerlyknownasElizabeth
PosterformerlyknownasElizabeth

We should organize the West Coast Meeting around my birthday. Because I am that egotistical.

Jenny Dreadful
Jenny Dreadful

I actually seem to recall seeing a few posts from people here who are from the Phoenix area. I live in Tempe and would like to meet up, provided you are not Mr. Al or someone like him!

Ami Angelwings
Ami Angelwings

Asking again for nebody in the Toronto (or Southern Ontario) area :3 (there’s 3 of us so far)

tofu nutloaf
tofu nutloaf

I’ll have to attend a meet-up in the future; the next time I’m in Chicago, it’ll be for a Cubs game. My FIL is a fan; me, not at all, but it’s fun as long as they don’t lose too badly. Then it’s just boring.

Just to clarify, I’m in IL. I didn’t know there was an Urbana, IA! Is it worth checking out?

Spearhafoc

Does this work?

spearhafoc

Nope.

Spearhafoc

Oh, now it does.

dreamhouse
dreamhouse

Thanks David! I’ll do my best. The internet here isn’t that great, but when I can I’ll write something…if I have something to add.

filetofswedishfish
filetofswedishfish

If we had a Chicago Meetup sometime in July, I’d make the drive. FiletofswedishBoyfriend and I share a car, and he’s out in Cali for USMC recruiter training that month, so I could totes do whatever with the car and not screw up him getting to and from work. I could also visit my friends that still live in the city. One just bought a gorgeous condo I’d love to see! Plus I still have an asston of money on my iPass begging to get used.

ithiliana

Odds seem small, but anybody in area around Dallas/Ft. Worth?

ithiliana

Bee: You are TOTES cool kid!

Yay gravatar (had not heard of before you linked0.

This is trufact real life picture of me, just before I go out for my daily walking around spitting venom on all men.

XD

Johnny Pez

Snakes. Why did it have to be snakes?

ithiliana

at least they’re not on a plane? XD

ithiliana

although actually they will be later today when I get on a plan to to to Louisville KY to grade AP exams.

although i’m sure nobody will be able to identify me among umpty thousand ENGLISH teachers.

Amnesia
Amnesia

Because everybody’s doing it, let me try!

thefemalespectator

Ithiliana, I’ll be in Austin for most of July and could make a visit to the Dallas/FW area–you want to see if we can make something happen for July?

ithiliana

That would be cool–I’ll actually be in Albuequerque for one week in July (Mythcon!), but will be here the rest of the month. Cool in spirit, hot in flaming practicality–this year is already hotter than hot all around here.

And will be in Puget Sound area in um late/middle August (father’s 85th birthday)….

filetofswedishfish
filetofswedishfish

Oh! Oh! Paging Doctress Julia! The yoga studio I work at needs another receptionist! It’s only part time, and minimum wage, but you get a free unlimited yoga membership! I do the job, it’s pretty easy! And a really nice atmosphere! In Madison!

Alex

Oh, all right, I guess I have to try now, too…

ithiliana

Peer pressure, ahahahahahah!

Nobby
Nobby

Dooo it!!

Alex

Okay, I did it; let’s see if it works…

Alex

Nope. Okay here I go again…

Alex

YAY!!! (Sorry for triple post)

Nobby
Nobby

Heh, i think that’s just the tradition now when someone gets a new avatar :-p

Amnesia
Amnesia

But I didn’t triple post…

Amnesia
Amnesia

No! I can’t be left out!

Amnesia
Amnesia

*caves to peer pressure*

Alex

Haha! It is now officially tradition!

oldfeminist
oldfeminist

w00t i has a gravatar!!!!!

Captain Bathrobe
Captain Bathrobe

Plymouth,

Pecunium is in the South Bay. I’m in the North Bay. Maybe we could meet up in the East Bay (Berkeley, maybe) or the City?

Captain Bathrobe
Captain Bathrobe

Alternately, you could all come up to the Napa Valley. I know, twist your arms…

Sarah
Sarah

Hahaha! I love how everyone has an avatar now! We’re all so pretty! =D

PosterformerlyknownasElizabeth
PosterformerlyknownasElizabeth

*ignores the avatar nonsense and suggests that not only everyone meet up but that they get her birthday presents.*

I did mention I have an out of control ego. :p

mediumdave
mediumdave

…we could meet at that O-so-attractive truckstop right on the border….

zombie, do you mean the T&A TA at Russel Rd. and I-94? I’ve never actually been in there. I much preferred the old State Line truck stop nearby, but I don’t know if that’s even still there.

Plymouth
Plymouth

We could get you an avatar for your birthday! *grin*

PosterformerlyknownasElizabeth
PosterformerlyknownasElizabeth

nooooooooooooooooooooo…I do not want to turn blue!

Plymouth
Plymouth

I’m on the peninsula and I work in the city so city totally works for me.

Holly Pervocracy

My avatar is a butt now!

hellkell
hellkell

Ithiliana, I’m in Austin.

Kes
Kes

Well, if all the cool kids are doing it…

Doctress Julia

Ooh, which yoga studio? Is it on the East side? I’m super good with phones! ‘Yaddayaddayogayadda’- see? 😀

David: whaaaaa….? Give all $ to PP! ALL $! Even to suggest such a thing… I just started crying. I am a crybaby. That is the kindest thing I have even… shit. SHIT! Crybaby is me.

I must earn what I have. I have to find a job! Fucking Catholic work ethic… I used to work at the Harmony Bar (four years!)… I was mistreated and abused by the owner and his girlfriend, and fired under false pretenses (it’s a long and fucked up story, but in one word: NEPOTISM.). Quick aside: FUCK YOU, KEITH AND ALLISON! So yeah… lost my apt, my place/function in that community, and of course my income. I am on ‘the dole’ and I feel illogically ashamed. Food stamps and 90 bucks a week UE, when I could be rocking a bar crowd and EARNING that filthy money. Plug for me: I make the BEST fucking Bloody Marys ever (so good your eyebrows will light on fire!!!!) and really want to be behind a bar again. I think/know my age is a disadvantage- why hire a salty old 36 year old when you can hire a cute 23 year old undergrad, ya know- one with big gazoombas? Snort. Plus, I am quite visibly hyperactive. It puts people off from me- I am very (I guess VERY) intense. And, being in Wisconsin, bartending is where the money’s at. I think I may have overspecialized myself… 🙁 And, I KNOW I am super smart! Wo yao gong zuo! Wo shi hen piao liang… I am capable of so much more…

God damn. Ami, someday I want to meet you and give you my patented David, you too. All of you, in fact. I am unaccustomed to anyone thinking of me… THANK YOU THANK YOU, I am crying alone in front of a big computer screen. Why do I always cry so hard when I see kindness? Even the thought of it… fuckity…

Back on topic now! Snap. A meetup in Milwaukee or Madison would be neato… I wish we could beam NWOaf and MRAL there, so I could meet them (and shake them and say WHAT THE FUCK, DOOOOD?). 😀

Xtra

It would be so awesome if I could be there, too bad I can’t. 🙁 If anyone is bringing a laptop with a cam, might I suggest a live video chat, like a setup with blogtalktv or something like that so those that can’t be there can still join in in a way. Just a though.

Doctress Julia

Oops! Insert !!!DOCTRESS HUG!!! where appropriate.

Doctress Julia

I grew up in Danbury, CT and I used to visit Boston for the Science Museum and… is it the Bull Market? Once my Girl Scout troop camped inside the museum! I slept right under a dinosaur. :3 Love and miss the East coast; damn some real BBB (Boston Baked Beans) would be so delish… and, that fucking accent! I always think of the song ‘West End Girls’ when I think of Boston… from this mixtape I made for a school trip there… silly, I guess. The Pet Shop Boys are the soundtrack of my life. Haha! Have a kick-ass meetup, Bostonians! 😀

zombie rotten mcdonald

And, being in Wisconsin, bartending is where the money’s at.

Boy, THAT’S the truth.

Plymouth
Plymouth

Hey, my girl scout troop camped in the Boston science museum too!!

And then last weekend I got to do a weekend campover FOR GROWNUPS in the California Academy of Sciences in San Francisco! It was awesome with awesome-sauce.