self-promotion

Meetups and Book Clubs all tied up with string. These are a few of my favorite things.

Note: Actual Man Boobz meetups may vary.

Last night, many hundreds of comments into what would become Man Boobz’ first 900-plus comment thread, an idea arose: a Man Boobz meetup! Specifically, a Boston-area MB meetup, since a lot of MB commenters seem to live around there. Holly – the awesome lady behind the excellent blog The Pervocracy – stepped up to organize the thing.

And thus was born the first of what quite possibly could be many Man Boobz/Pervocracy meetups, tentatively scheduled for 6pm on Friday, June 17th at the Prudential Center Food Court in Boston. If you’re in the area and want to attend, post a comment below and/or get in touch with Holly directly. (Email her at pervocracy@gmail.com.) I’ll post about it again before it happens, so if there are any changes in the details you all will know about it.

Also: for those Man Boobzers who live in and around Chicago, I’ll be organizing a meetup here too, probably within the next couple of weeks. If you’re in the area and want to attend, post below! I’ll do my best to accommodate everyone’s schedules, find places for people to crash, and so on.

There’s also talk about a Toronto meetup.

If anyone else reading this blog wants to get a meetup going in your area, post below! There are Man Boobzers all over the map. Let’s make this happen.

Meanwhile, some other Man Boobzers have set up a book club on Library Thing. Which is also amazing.

I am really happy to see this sort of thing happening, and honored, really, that so many of you all have found a little online home on this blog. And I want to do whatever I can to facilitate this. I’m still considering the possibility of a Man Boobz forum, though I’m not quite sure that the peculiar dynamics that propel so many of the discussions here into sprawling hundreds-of-posts-long threads would work as well on a forum. People here seem fairly evenly divided on the idea. So I’m holding off on that, at least for now, but if there’s enough demand for it I can set up a forum pretty much instantly. Post your thoughts below!

Also: I know a lot of you are broke (as am I), but if you have a few bucks to spare I’d like to once again plug the Man Boobz store., which has awesome “We Hunted the Mammoth” and other t-shirts and assorted products, designed by the awesome JohnnyKaje, who also designed the main Man Boobz banners. (Shaenon also contributed a lovely drawing of an evil cupcake.)

And finally: If you want to help Man Boobz take over the internets, promote the fuck out of the posts here with the little “share” buttons. Links bring traffic, and traffic brings more regular readers and commenters into the Man Boobz fold. Heh heh.

And finally finally, keep sending along suggestions for posts. Quite a few of my recent posts have been inspired by links people sent me. (If you send along a suggestion, and you’d like me to credit you in the posts, let me know; I’ve been assuming people would prefer anonymity.)

Thanks again, everyone!

zombie rotten mcdonald

Did someone mention an Evil Cupcake?

Hippodameia
Hippodameia

I’m in the Tacoma/Seattle area, if anyone would like to try for a meetup out here.

zombie rotten mcdonald

viva Sea-Tac!

filetofswedishfish
filetofswedishfish

Also, I used to be in the Chicago area, but am now up in Madison. I’m sad I can’t make that meetup, but a two hour drive is a bit much. Boobzers in Mad-town?

Holly

For FetLife members, the FetLife event page is here: http://fetlife.com/events/57363

And the page on my blog about the meetup is here: http://pervocracy.blogspot.com/2011/06/meetup.html

zombie rotten mcdonald

swedishfish, Milwaukee.

Holly

I’d also note, for people coming into Boston from the ‘burbs or whatnot, that parking at the Pru is obscenely expensive and driving/parking in the neighborhood is a huge pain. I greatly recommend taking the T instead–the Green Line stops right at the Pru and the Orange Line is a couple blocks away.

Ami Angelwings

I know that you prolly do need the money too David, but was wondering if she was okay w/ it, could we contribute the profits from the store for like this month or something to Doctress Julia who is going through some rly hard times? :

PosterformerlyknownasElizabeth

The book group has a forum where you can blather on about whatever you want to if you are on there and feel like blathering on about whatever.

I also wanted to know if someone else wants to be an Admin of it-just because I do not think it is fair that I am the ALL POWERFUL DICTATOR OF THE FORUM…well not unless elected in a totally fair elections where I get 99% of the vote.

AbsintheDexterous
AbsintheDexterous

I’m in Milwaukee, I’d attend Chicago depending on details. I’d also attend anything in the vicinity of Milwaukee.

zombie rotten mcdonald

hey, Absinthe. 414 REPRESENT!

mediumdave
mediumdave

I’m in Chicago, will be out of town June 18-20 but otherwise available. Sounds like a great idea!

Johnny Pez

Say, Ami, didn’t the Doctress mention that she’s in Madison? And looking for a place to stay?

AbsintheDexterous
AbsintheDexterous

Heh, Zombie, HELL YEAH!

And I remember you from Sadly, No! I posted very infrequently under a different name, but would always lurk. It’s been a few years since reading over there, so it took awhile for me to figure out why your name so damn familiar.

Although I do periodically go back to read the synopsis of Liberal Fascism. No one wants to really believe someone actually wrote out the sentence “The white male is the Jew of Liberal Fascism”, which is what I always think every time MRAL posts.

zombie rotten mcdonald

And I remember you from Sadly, No!

What losers. They hardly EVER go above 1000 comments there. Also, most of the trolls are fake.

El Snacktator

You rang??

Ami Angelwings

@Johnny Pez yus! That is indeed what she said :3

zombie rotten mcdonald

Great. The Snack Cakes are here!

zombie rotten mcdonald

OK, time for a very serious question.

Sarah
Sarah

I would like to say that me, Molly Ren and Amnesia were planning to meet this Saturday at Level One/Cobolt at about 4:30 (right, guys?) and then go to the Pride Parade. If there’s anyone else from the DC area they’re welcome to swing on by! =D

And I am still a big fan of the forum idea!

Ellen
Ellen

Well, if we get to do the Twizzle, I’m in!

Hippodameia
Hippodameia

“What the HELL is up with a cat that always wants to be on the other side of the door? Seriously, one minute after coming in, it’s time to go back out, then to come back in again.”

Mine did that all the time – I think she thought that if she just kept trying it would somehow be summer outside again.

PosterformerlyknownasElizabeth

13 is on his way over to make brownies…yummy!

Also, Relationships are funny

Sarah
Sarah

Dude! Check it out, guys! I finally got an account! Look at my snazzy avatar! =D

Sarah
Sarah

WAIT! Can you not see my lovely avatar? DDD=

Sarah
Sarah

Oh… now you can? What the hell….

Sorry for the triple posts…

dreamhouse
dreamhouse

Hello Everyone,
I’m a bit of a lurker because I live on the other side of the world to America which means I’m asleep while most of the conversations happen. It would be lovely to meet some like minded people, but unfortunately I don’t think this is a possibility. I think the only other people who have read this blog where I live are some friends who I’ve sent links to! Have fun meeting up.

Nobby
Nobby

🙁 Someone at wordpress already took Nobby! No signing up for me yet.

Bee
Bee

Don’t be sad, Nobby! You can still get a Gravatar account. Just use the same email you use to sign in … you don’ need to use Nobby for your Gravatar name, even. And then you can add a picture and join the cool kids!

(Is it okay that I just called myself a cool kid?)

zombie rotten mcdonald

we could meet at that O-so-attractive truckstop right on the border….

Captain Bathrobe
Captain Bathrobe

Huh. No other SF Bay Area denizens here?

Well I’ll be damned. I guess it’s not the center of the universe after all.

ozymandias

I’m not sure if anyone lives in the Fort Lauderdale/Miami area, but I’m down here for the summer and would be willing to organize a meetup at some point.

Nobby
Nobby

Hmm, I can log in, but now I show up as my gravatar name. How do I change that, Bee? I want to be a cool kid!

Nobby
Nobby

David, you can kill that ‘testing?’ comment in moderation, different name. Sorry!

Nobby
Nobby

Oh, wait, snazzy picture! Wooo! Also triple posted!

Bee
Bee

Oh crap … I forget! I think it wanted me to use my Gravatar name, but then I just used my regular name and email (which was the same one I used for Gravatar), and the picture showed up like magic. That’s not working, though, huh? Anyone else with a Gravatar account and a little more tech sense want to advise?

Bee
Bee

Yay! Now you’re cool, Nobby! Niiice.

Plymouth
Plymouth

Capt Bathrobe – I’m SF bay area and so is Pecunium (though I guess he’s moving soon?)

plymouths
plymouths

Hey, thanks Bee!! Nift. And now I has a picture! (which actually for a little internet avatar thingie looks surprisingly actually like me. Though maybe moreso when I was 25 :D)

Though as “plymouth” was already taken I had to go with my stealth backup PLURAL ME!

darksidecat
darksidecat

Which makes me the east coast person? I am living in upstate NY right now.

Plymouth
Plymouth

whoa! it gave me retroactive icons!!

Ami Angelwings

Oooh.. very cool icon! 😀

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

Err, so how do you get a gravatar icon to show up?

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

Does this work, I wonder?

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

😀 heh.. he he.. heh eh. ha! HA ha! HAA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HAA HAA HAA HA HA HAA!!

Ami Angelwings