alpha males beta males masculinity pics PUA saturday morning cartoons

Saturday Morning Cartoons: Choosing a husband, and the world’s first PUA

In light of some recent discussions here, I thought this cartoon seemed relevant.  I got it from my new favorite Tumblr blog, Comically Vintage. It’s astounding how many of the comic panels posted there — especially those from melodramatic 60s-70s romance comics — apply to the arguments in and around the manosphere today. Perhaps because the world in which these guys live is as imaginary and out-of-date as the fantasy world of 40 or 50 year-old Romance comics.

And while we’re on the subject, here’s a bonus cartoon. Here, crawling from the primordial soup, is the world’s first PUA! (Granted, he hasn’t quite worked out all of the tenets of modern Game, but, hey, he’s still a lizard. Just as human evolution took millions of years, evolving something as complex as modern PUA theory takes time.)

Hmm. That fish over there has sprouted legs. Is that an IOI?

Holly

Oh, and please add to your perception of the world the fact that a woman is genuinely happy for a man–one who has thrown bazillions of violent insults at her kind, in her view!–to be improving his life. Because I am. I really hope you can come to have some good experiences with people.

Darque

and while you’re at it, try to get out of your comfort zone a little. Get involved in the leadership of the club/group. Talk to men and women. and if you really get on a roll, ask someone on a date. Worst that happens is… nothing really. The worst thing that can happen is you don’t risk anything yourself, and you end up unhappy for not putting yourself out there.

Ami Angelwings

But.. but… you’re talking to actual women.. and you’re telling us what .. we… think! o_o;; I’m amused xD

So.. wait.. I’ve been spitting on creepy stalkers, Asianphiles and weirdos who won’t leave me alone on a jog all this time? o_O Most of the time I have my ipod on and dun hear ppl either xD Sometimes I THINK some guy might have said something to me, but I’m usually busy or doing my own thing… that’s spitting xD Esp when I’m running, I just want to keep running, not stop and cool down b/c some person thinks I need to say hi to them o_O;;

Apparently I’m a virtual supersoaker! xD

Spearhafoc, who is changing his nym
Spearhafoc, who is changing his nym

I think I’ll just meet beta and omega men for friends, though, because they’re the only ones who care about “personality”.

I have many female friends. I have female friends I’m not remotely attracted to. I have female friends I think are physically attractive but not somebody I want as a girlfriend. I even have a few female friends I absolutely would like to go out with, but know it’s not in the cards for various reasons.

I have many male friends. They would fall all over the spectrum of your Greek system. Many are “alphas”. They are not assholes. My brother would be an “alpha” by your standards. He is not an asshole.

I like all of these people to varying degrees, but I enjoy spending time with all of them. I have fun when we’re together. Try it sometime.

Men's Rights Activist Lieutenant
Men's Rights Activist Lieutenant

Well at least that’s something to look forward to instead of more fucking work, sleeping, and eating. I think I might not come here anymore until I try it, and we’ll see how the alphas and wymyn react in Boston.

Ami Angelwings

Worst that happens is… nothing really.

Yus! THAT.

Thank you! 😀

Lady Victoria von Syrus
Lady Victoria von Syrus

Holly, I don’t think women are really interested in getting to know men unless they want dick

Say whaaaa?

I have many very good male friends whom I have not slept with and will never sleep with, and I started hanging out with them because I thought they were interesting and awesome people. In other words, I don’t approach my every interaction with the opposite sex with the goal of Getting Laid.

I second the idea of getting involved in something you find interesting, and using that to meet people. Out and about, in their daily lives, most people are just trying to complete their errands and don’t really have ‘making friends’ on their list of things to get done. To be able to socially connect with people, you have to get them when they are in a relaxed mood – i.e., at their hobby club.

And whatever you pick, make sure it’s something you already find interesting. Don’t sign up for Underwater Basket Weaving because you think that’s where all the chicks are at.

chocominties
chocominties

@ami
I got it! I spent a great deal of my single digits watching my bro play Yses 1-3. Because rpgs hog the damn system, so what else was I going to do?

I haven’t read all the comments yet, but wanted to chime in with that. It’s hard reading 150 comments on my phone. I’m on the bus, you see. Going to Dairy Queen to get a blizzard and spit on some men. The sugar will make my saliva stick better.

Sigh. That post began so well.

Bee
Bee

Okay, so, a bunch of things. Your eye, as everyone else has said, is not noticeable. I say it now because I didn’t say anything on the perhaps more appropriate thread.

You’re in Boston, a large city that is … kinda rude by my standards, anyway (but fun!). You go to college, where there’s a large group of people coming from different backgrounds, with different standards for social interactions and different needs for safety, etc., and where a surprisingly large number of your classmates — I guarantee you — are feeling insecure and self-conscious and out of place. And because you have not been accepted with open arms by everyone in this environment, you have determined that this is because you are an “omega,” because of your height and your eye, and now you hate everyone you think has an easier time than you. Is that pretty much it?

Well, now it seems a little like a chicken and egg thing. Did the shitty personality come first and scare people away from you, or are you just this shy person who’s gradually become angry at everyone for not recognizing you as the amazing person you are?

A few hints. You’re not owed anything by anyone; stop thinking that you are. On the other hand, if you work on yourself and can develop a genuinely nice personality, almost certainly you’ll get a better response. People generally want the same thing you want. They want to be liked. They want to be heard. They want to be entertained. Work on providing those things to other people. You have a better chance of not getting “spat on” all the time by treating people nicely than by constantly judging them and perceiving imaginary slights. Seriously — you’ve even put your three friends into their Greek categories? SO not cool, dude.

Holly

That’s a good move, MRAL.

Now say “men and women” or even just “people,” and you’ll be really turning the corner.

Not into being a feminist. I don’t really give a shit at this point if you ever give a shit about feminism or not. Just into being a little more of a relaxed, happy person who feels like he has some real connections to the world.

Darque

“Well at least that’s something to look forward to instead of more fucking work, sleeping, and eating.”

Yeah, I think a lot of people fall into the whole internet thing as a substitute for a real social experience- but it’s definitely worth it taking the time to do some pavement pounding for actual human contact.

Not to knock the internet – but it is definitely no substitute for the real deal.

Ami Angelwings

If ppl think you’re a creep, who cares? xD I’ve been creeped out by a LOT of guys (esp the ones who objectify me for being Asian and talk ONLY about that) but I’m just moving in and out of their life. Just like I’m sure lots of ppl think bad things about me maybe (well maybe not ME, b/c I’m the angelcatbunny xD but let’s pretend! ) but you have to remember, life isn’t a TV show where you’re the main character and everybody is always thinking about you or things revolve around you. 🙂 Even if some ppl think you’re awkward or weird or creepy, who cares? You move on with your life 🙂 I used to worry about this a lot about job interviews, that if I screw up, it was some sort of negative statement about me as a person, but I realized that I’m just another candidate to these ppl and if I f- up, there’s the next job interview and those ppl have never heard of me 😀

Darque

“Don’t sign up for Underwater Basket Weaving because you think that’s where all the chicks are at.”

This is a very good point that I’d like to second. Although, in MY experience, I’ve gone and tried out things I would have never done before and ended up really liking them. So if you , for example, try out salsa dancing to meet girls and end up staying for the dancing, that’s a double bonus .

Seraph
Seraph

Having said that, I suppose I could ask the women in my Dungeons & Dragons group (Mr. Kobold: Monster Manual says yes, there is only one Tarrasque) for confirmation. All of them seem to be interested in dick in general, with a focus on one specific dick in three out of four cases, but none have shown any interest in mine over the last three years of playing in my games.

Ah, well. I guess they’re too focused on their alphas (one a short, pudgy freelance writer, one a tall, rail-thin astrophysics grad student, one I haven’t met yet) to do anything but spit on me. And help set up my blog. And go to Thor with me and have a long conversation about the difference between the movie, the comics and the myths. Just using me, I guess.

(Actually some truth there – none of the bastards will take a turn as DM!)

Seraph
Seraph

Last comment meant as a follow-up to my comment @ 11:26

Ami Angelwings

Yay chocominties and redlocker for getting the Ys video game reference! 😀 Ami points for everybody! 😀 *scatters*

Hay MRAL… am I an alpha? o_O Have gotten modelling gigs, size 0, 5’8″, um… I dunno what else makes a woman an alpha in this thing? Ppl seem to think I’m pretty cute xD

Darque

(Actually some truth there – none of the bastards will take a turn as DM!)

You have to stop seeing DMing as a chore, and more of as an entertaining opportunity to try out different creative ways of TPK’ing the party.

Men's Rights Activist Lieutenant
Men's Rights Activist Lieutenant

There are a lot of clubs at bu I guess, that’s one good thing about going to a huge school. Still, I do not deny the validity of the Greek system. Maybe it’s a LITTLE more flexible than previously stated. Maybe not. I’ll give it a try.

Ami Angelwings

This blog is part time comedy club, part time UFC octagon and right now it’s a self help group xD It’s a triple changer! xD

Seraph, I hear you. I always end up DMing. It’s fun, but it’s so much work! I want to just play once in a while.

Ami Angelwings

Despite what may appear to be my infinite supply of geeky and sports (I dunno if that’s geeky xD ) knowledge, hobbies and the like, RPGs of ANY sort are something I’ve NEVER done xD

MRAL, what activities are you thinking of getting involved in?

Activities I’ve enjoyed include archery, D&D, birdwatching, Pilates, and (no joke) going to hamster shows.

Darque

Well, the one bonus of participating in a “derailed conversation”, is that there is no longer a threat of derailing further, so everyone is free to talk about whatever the hell they want.

The conundrum of choosing to DM or just play is an interesting one. The way it was described by one of my friend was “I want to play, but I’m afraid that whoever else is DMing will screw up the game if I don’t do it myself.”

Holly

MRAL – That sounds awesome. I’d add – if you go to a club meeting, talk to some people, have a few moments that make you laugh and smile, and go home, chalk that up as a win. It takes a while to really fit in–I was in my current social circle for a couple months before I had many real friends and six months before I met my boyfriend–but just having fun with other people is a good thing in itself.

Holly

Katz – There’s such a thing as hamster shows? I am suddenly fascinated.

Is it just comformational breed shows, or do the hamsters actually perform?

Ami Angelwings

Activities I enjoy are running, biking, basketball, floor/street hockey, watching movies, shopping, hanging out, sleeping, catting around, dancing, partying, and saving the world 😀

(since we’re doing the dating game profile… ) xD

I too want to know about these hamster shows! :O They sound adorable! :O

Darque

I enjoy playing DnD, videogames, warhammer 40k, watching anime, playing classical guitar, and listening to metal.

I too have stated my hobbies, even though no one else is probably paying any attention :p.

Holly

Aw, David, what do you have against the National Western Mule & Donkey Show?

Seraph
Seraph

For the record, I’m still not sure that MRAL isn’t a Poe. There are sometimes he goes so far over the top that it’s hard to believe he’s real. That said, I don’t think the time spent on him is wasted. Who knows when you’re helping a lurker.

Holly

Oh, are we sharing hobbies now?

I enjoy jewelry making, blogging, hiking and camping, raising guinea pigs (I have two sisters named Rose and Violet), and learning about science. I’m also very active in the local BDSM community, which is a lot friendlier and less “dirty” than you could imagine–we’re as likely to be playing Capture the Flag or going out for Dim Sum as we are to be doing anything dirty.

Seraph
Seraph

The solution to that is to have the other DM run an entirely separate game – different characters, separate storyline, possibly even different setting (or different game!).

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

Ooh, sharing time! I remember this from back in kindergarten… Though in kindergarten the “shared” things were much less interesting…

I’m a programmer, so I enjoy that. I’m interested in all sorts of science, though I don’t spend as much time on it as I should. Like games, (video and tabletop), watch anime from time to time (whole shows at once), and have the personality of a big puppy.

DMing for me is like a full-time job. Maybe it’s just because I copiously illustrate everything (yes, those are all from one campaign).

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

Oh man, how could I forget philosophy? That’s pretty big with me too!

Darque

Ooooh, programming. What type and what languages?

I only ask because I do a wide variety of it – although most of it is .net web development.

Seraph
Seraph

Right. This is the kind of conversation I’d better bail on, or I’ll be here ’til dawn. Night all.

Toodles.

Ami Angelwings

This has become so weird… it’s like a sleepover where everybody’s tipsy .. or high xD (or just tired) xD

It’s a giant lovefest! :O

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

Java mostly, but I dabbled in python and C/C++ for a bit. Fun story, actually, in that I started by trying to learn HTML. I ran across a bunch of stuff for javascript, then a bunch of stuff saying “Javascript is not Java.”

So I looked into Java. And the rest? Is history.

Night! 😀 Sweet dreams! 🙂

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

All you need is love (dun da da da da dum)

All you need is love (dun da da da da dum)

All you need is love, love…

I don’t know the-a rest. (bows)

Holly

I still want to hear about the hamster shows.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

So long, farewell, auf wiedersen goodbye!

So do *I* You can’t tease us w/ the hamster shows and vanish! >:O

Darque

I honestly don’t even remember why I started programming. I think it was before high school, when I was interested in videogames and wanted to learn how to make them. Then I picked up an introductory book on c programming, and then eventually turned that into a college degree in comp sci. The rest is history I suppose.

Cool to see a fellow wizard out there.

Darque

and, I will probably be heading out as well. Otherwise it’ll turn into the times when I’d talk with friends until 4 in the morning.

Later all.

Ami Angelwings

You say that like it’s a bad thing. xD