antifeminism life before feminism that's not funny!

Life Before Feminism: When a Woman’s at the Wheel …

Men’s Rightsers and MGTOWers regularly lament what they see as the baleful influence of feminism on everyday life and popular culture. So it’s perhaps worth reminding people what things were really like before modern – that is, second and third wave – feminism.

Second-wave feminism was in its infancy in 1970 when this charming Goodyear ad was shown on the first broadcast of Monday Night Football.

Obviously, the whole “women drivers suck LOL” attitude lives on — in the form of countless dumb jokes, demotivational posters, YouTube compilations, you name it.

But none of that shit hits on the same visceral level as this ad. I think that’s partly because of the smug, patronizing tone of the narrator of the Goodyear commercial, and the hint of contempt that slips into his voice when he mentions the possibility of a mere woman taking the wheel. I think it’s also because to whomever made the ad—and presumably a great number of those watching it — the idea that women are awful drivers is simply considered an incontrovertible fact; the ad isn’t even trying to be funny.

Indeed, this deliberately cutesy vintage Volvo ad, while equally sexist, seems fairly innocuous  by comparison. (My only question is why that poor woman seems to have married her father.)

Alex

The youtube compilation is kind of funny, especially given that you can’t tell in many cases whether they’re actually women or not, and in the few that you can, well…the part where the woman in the green car had such trouble parking, my boyfriend drives like that…lol

Also my stepgrandmother drives better than my grandfather, so…logic aside, my personal experience says this belief is bullshit.

And how much do you want to bet that some MRA is going to come saying that that ad is still feminist…somehow?

Bee
Bee

Well, I can’t really blame the MRAs for lamenting the loss of sexist ads like that. They were what made America great! Have you ever noticed that since we stopped openly acknowledging women’s fragile inferiority every time a company wants to sell a product, more and more MRAs have found it harder to get laid?

It’s so sad. Won’t you please help?

For what it’s worth, I find both ads equally distasteful. The Goodyear one seems to be trading on the “women are scary drivers” idea coupled with the “women are precious precious little angels that might break into a million pieces if they don’t lie in a quiet room all the time” idea. The Volvo combines “har, har! women can’t drive” with “har, har! my wife is a shrieking harridan who won’t let me buy anything!” While both are bad, it’s the “har har” part that really grates. It’s insidious, and it’s used to this day when someone wants to say that women are inferior, but doesn’t want to be held accountable.

Major Mangina
Major Mangina
Avicenna

Oh I have seen the best advert from goodyear in India mocking Indian road conditions. Basically someone does something stereotypically [stupid] and the only thing that saves a motorcyclist is the tread on his tyres followed by “The road is filled with idiots – Goodyear”

So far there is “Man crosses road while talking on cellphone”, “Man opens car door while in traffic”, “Someone cuts down the wrong side of a street”. As someone who is terrified by Indian roads and their frankly lax attitude to driving I genuinely worry that one day I am going to be on the receiving end of some scary driving.

Hide and Seek
Hide and Seek

This is an excellent example of feminism and the way we tend to blame systemic structural problems on sexual differences. When those commercials were made,cars really were dangerous. Deadly, even.

Then there was Ralph Nader and “Unsafe At Any Speed” and congress held hearings and regulations were passed *mandating* car manufactures pay to develop and implement safety equipment that worked when tested.

And then, just like magic, women and men became better drivers. Wait, that didn’t happen, but people’s cars became less likely to turn into flaming death traps with sharp steel edges when they got rear-ended at a traffic light.

Doctress Julia

I like to play this scary music on a loop whenever I drive.

NWOslave
NWOslave

Misandry anyone?

Or is this a “good” feminist message? Born a boy, than you’re a potential rapist!!!

Men's Rights Activist Lieutenant
Men's Rights Activist Lieutenant

Amanda
Amanda

I think the goodyear ad wasn’t playing on the “women are horrible drivers” stereotype as much as the “women are fragile and must be protected” stereotype. Probably both though. To me the Volvo ad was a little worse in it’s mocking of married relationships. I think the “nagging wife” thing is more insulting…but that’s just me.

NWOslave: The message in that ad is the opposite of what you say. They are saying that boys are NOT born rapists, but the messages society sends to children regarding gender, where girls are weak and inferior, and boys are “tough” and can’t show emotion creates an atmosphere where violence directed from men to women happens more often than the other way around. I don’t think the ad is very good, because it plays on people’s emotions instead of offering up any evidence for what they are saying. They could have used simple crime statistics, coupled with wording/imagery in ads for “boy’s” toys as support instead of emotional appeals and the ad would have been just as powerful. It makes the argument appear weaker than it actually is. (here is a word cloud of words appearing in boy toy ads: http://www.wordle.net/show/wrdl/3372921/Words_Used_to_Advertise_Boys'_Toys )

NWOslave
NWOslave

@Amanda…Can’t stay long, but if as you say that advert which was run during the superbowl was portraying men in a good light, than might I suggest one.

It goes like this…(cue the ominous music) She’s smart, she’s sexy, she’s independent and she’s committed adultery, obtained a restraining order, went to court and now has total child custody while her ex pays for the children and is allowed supervised visitation rights. (cue happy music)…Teaching women that kidnapping mens children and extorting money is wrong and needs to be taught in the home.

I’m guessing this little advert would also send a “good” message, and all you feminists would be more than happy to run it during a major event women watch. I mean after all, it sends a “positive” message, right?

Sandy
Sandy

NWOSlave, we already had an entire discussion about that ad, there was a post about it.

Bee
Bee

OK, just out of curiosity … what are you babbling about, MRAL? Specifically, when you say “This is an insidious way to further privilege women, because it blames men for women’s dumbass mistakes”, what do you intend “this” and “it” to refer to? I would say you’re talking about the Goodyear ad, but I didn’t notice any man-blaming, or dumbass-mistake-making. Plus, you’d be talking in the present tense about an commercial from 40 years ago. So that can’t be it.

By the way, have you checked out the Rise of the Zeta Male blog linked on the left hand side of the page? Just wondering. You never talk about the Zetas. It’s like you don’t even care about them. You probably walk around spitting on them. *sniff!* Poor Zeta males!!!

chocomintlipwax

@NWO

Anecdote:

I had this friend in high school who had a really bitchy older sister. I don’t know what her deal was, because my friend was the nicest person imaginable and her sister was just a ragingly nasty, bitter specimen of humanity (who had good grades and lots of friends, so it really didn’t make sense).

BitchySister was in a relationship with Guy. We knew Guy too, because he was in some of our (me and the friend’s) classes. He’s a nice enough, goofy guy. We never quite got why he and BitchySister got together, but … whatever.

BitchySister and Guy got married. BitchySister and Guy had a couplefew kids.

BitchySister cheated on Guy and was caught red-handed.

BitchySister tried to run off with the kids. Guy fought for custody, using the affair as evidence against her. She tried to sabotage him by making shit up.

Who now has full custody of the kids?

GUY does. I think BitchySister might get them in the summer or on weekends or something, but I know she does NOT have full custody.

This Guy is not the most smart or responsible fellow in the universe, yet he somehow managed to get custody of their children. Imagine that.

Now back to your regularly scheduled whining.

(“But mennnnnnz nevar get custadiiiiiiiiiizzzz!”)

amandajane5
amandajane5

I “like” how the Goodyear ad portrays driving as so SUPER SCARY for those little wimmins brains. Oh no! Stop lights! Stop Signs! Having to read directions to choose the correct exit! How will the wimmins process this complex information?!?!?! ELEVENTY!!!

chocomintlipwax

And my point, in case that was lost, is that if you have a reason to get full custody, it is possible to get full custody. Yeah, sometimes people get dicked over, but that goes for men and women.

If women “steal” “your” children, unless they’re running off to a country that hasn’t signed to the Hague Convention on child kidnapping, why don’t you try to get them back? Oh right, because you don’t want to PAY for them but you don’t want to take care of them either.

I personally know another gal who does not have custody of her kids (only gets them in summer). And I don’t think she should, either. Not that I think her ex should, mind you. They’re both pretty crappy people.

Lydia

Gaaaawd, yeah, because taking YOUR children with you and letting the man pay child support is more horrible than physically and mentally humiliating someone.

Right. I remember here on this side, someone even equated rape with evil wimminz’ gold diggery (i. e. legal prostitution).

I’m not gonna say anything about this again, but really: Some guys are just so whiny.

@MRAL: YOU should never lose a word about Andrea Dworkin again. *giggles* By the way: I’m still smarter than you. There you go.

Men's Rights Activist Lieutenant
Men's Rights Activist Lieutenant

What about Andrea Dworkin? She’s dead, no one cares about that dumbass anymore.

Amanda
Amanda

NWO that ad wouldn’t make any sense, but anyone who has money can run an ad. People run ads that offend me pretty much daily and I wouldn’t try to stop them. Again, your proposed ad, like the original, would make emotional appeals with no hard evidence to support it. The difference between the two is that there exists evidence to support the original ad, but not yours.

…but I won’t discuss it further since there seems to have been a discussion about the ad already and I don’t want to derail the comments.

Men's Rights Activist Lieutenant
Men's Rights Activist Lieutenant

You guys know that Dworkin was actually a conservative, whether she wanted to admit it or not?

@MRAL: Didn’t you listen to me?… *rolleyes*

Men's Rights Activist Lieutenant
Men's Rights Activist Lieutenant

I honestly don’t think anyone who has the lack of willpower to stop stuffing her face with cake has the right to talk about real pain or real suffering or real injustice, because if you don’t even have the willpower to keep fat out of your mouth you clearly have never experienced any real hardship. Honestly.

Leum

Okay, that’s it. I’m calling Poe on MRAL.

Lydia

(Note to myself: MRAs don’t have any sense of humour, sarcasm, irony or winks, so use NEITHER of these around them.)

Men's Rights Activist Lieutenant
Men's Rights Activist Lieutenant

People keep saying I’m a troll but I simply don’t see how someone morbidly obese like Dworkin can reasonably say that she knows what real pain or real suffering is.

Lydia, I get it, I’m using this as a springboard to bash Andrea Dworkin.

PosterformerlyknownasElizabeth
PosterformerlyknownasElizabeth

Those ads are bizarre. As if a tire could stop some idiot not paying attention because he has to be fiddling with the radio or whatever.

Lydia

@MRAL: No, you didn’t. I said you shouldn’t bash her because this:

“This is an insidious way to further privilege women, because it blames men for women’s dumbass mistakes.”

sounds EXACTLY like Dworkin in reverse! Don’t commit the mistakes you criticise on others! (This goes true for the rest of the MRM, too.)

Lydia

By the way: Deformed eyes are just disgusting.

Lydia

Well you can. And unless you don’t, again, don’t EVER lose a word about Dworkin and other “fat” people.

Lydia

By the way: Did you realise most fat women aren’t “omega” at all? You think they’re on your level, but they aren’t. They’re far above you. And no, it is NOT because of your deformed eye.

@David: Really sorry for double-posting, I just can’t seem to get my thoughts together today.

Lydia

A quadruple posting? But I didn’t … Wait, Dave, did you ban him or something? Why?

Shaenon

NWO, if it there were a national epidemic of women committing kidnapping and extortion, and little girls were raised to think this was an okay thing to do, that ad would definitely be a good idea. Fortunately, that’s not the case in this universe. I understand, however, that you come from a version of America where 400% of rape reports are made up just to get men in trouble, so maybe things are different in your dimension. In that case, you have my sympathies.

I knew guys who has custody of their kids when I was growing up waaay back in the ’80s. Two of my best friends were raised by their dads. They were kind, loving men and great fathers. The MRA guys who bitch about custody, by contrast, scare the crap out of me.

A friend of mine works in child support, and I worry about him sometimes. Last year his building had to be evacuated because a disgruntled father smuggled in a gun and threatened to kill the judge who wouldn’t give him custody. You know a good way to convince a judge you’d be a responsible custodial parent? That’s not it.

Alex

See? See? I KNEW it! I knew one of them would find a way that this was somehow sexist towards men. I won my own damn bet! lol

Kave
Kave

Of course that ad is feminist. These men are being white knights.

That’s like mra talk 101.

darksidecat
darksidecat

Yeah, because being molested at 9, being punished in middle school for refusing to sing Christian songs (because you are a Jew), being arrested for non-violent protest and being subjected to examinations by prison officials on your genitals violent enough to leave you bleeding for days, being beaten, made homeless, raped, and being threatened with death by an abusive spouse are not oppressive or troublesome at all if the victim is fat. Because we all know that the only real oppression is someone’s refusal to pity-fuck a man, amirite? (I may not be a fan of Dworkin, but she did have her fair share of suffering).

I also love this from NWO “She’s smart, she’s sexy, she’s independent and she’s committed adultery, obtained a restraining order, went to court and now has total child custody while her ex pays for the children and is allowed supervised visitation rights.” Look, we have managed to completely and totally erase the abuser! Because, we all know that a woman who committed adultry must not be an abuse victim, she has to be a scheming lying bitch, eh?

Snowy
Snowy

Uh, what? I know I really shouldn’t even ask, but care to elaborate on how it does that exactly?

Lydia

Just wanted to make clear that I don’t actually find deformed eyes disgusting. But some people do, and some other people also find “fatties” desgusting. So about MRAL’s attitude I can only say: What goes around comes around. There you go.

(Yes, we evil feminazis always find a way to put the blame on you.)

Laughing gull
Laughing gull

…and are we to deduce that fat women are even worse drivers than thin women now? MRAL, how does every subject always come down to fat? Oh, wait, you’ve covered that already. *yawn roll eyes* Alex, hope that bet was a good one.

Bee
Bee

Fat women are worse drivers and they steal men’s babies! Pass it on!

chocomintlipwax

I must conclude that MRAL was sat on by a fat woman when he was a baby, and it forever scarred him.

Ms. Wings
Ms. Wings

You know what’s funny, the longest clip in the Youtube compilation, the one with the car trying to park. I swear that’s from a video game because (1) the physics of the car moving and stopping are a bit off and (2) there is a timer. It’s funny that these guys use game footage as “proof” that womminz are bad drivers. What happened boys? Can’t find enough bad wommin driving skills for your little compilation video?

And I agree with Alex, the other funny thing about that compilation is that you can’t tell whether the driver is male or female in quite a few cases, including the final one (where he says it’s a guy). Honestly, I wouldn’t have been bothered by this assortment of clips if not for the final little: oh look, this is how MEN drive, at the end. ugh.

Laughing gull
Laughing gull

@ choco
LOL! Maybe huge boobies that caused anoxia? Then they steal babies and not only get child support but also support from the guvmint for being fat and not able to drive… one of many disabilities they claim for benefits, according to the MRA, and the menz have to pay for that, too.

Laughing gull
Laughing gull

Like none of us wimmez ever pay taxes.

Johnny Pez

MRAL: real MRA or parody MRA?

The thing to remember is that the whole point of Poe’s Law is that, unless there’s some obvious tell, you really can’t tell a parody from the real thing. MRAL might actually be a sexually frustrated 20-year-old who blames his inability to get laid on being five-foot-eight, or he might be a clever parody.

So, as Lenin famously asked, what is to be done?

Laughing gull
Laughing gull

Well, MRAL is good to have around for debate. So it does take this site to a better level than the MRM sites that don’t allow any discourse or view points from the other side. Not just a “kiddie ride” as some poster commented before on another thread.

MRAL: How much time do you spend not thinking about either a) getting laid, other people getting laid, and/or your inability to do so or b) fat chicks?

evilwhitemalempire
evilwhitemalempire

“Polyglass mean more than mileage when your wife has to drive alone.”

This is an ad intended to advertise the resistance of these tires to blow outs that would mean a woman stranded alone on the freakin’ highway in an age before cell phones you moron!

Pecunium

Evilwhitemalempire: Not contextually. The swerves, the furtive looks as the surrounding traffic, the sense of overwheliming; all of it adds up to the female driver being less in control and the tire countering it.

1 2 3