Uncategorized

The best responses to Stefan Molyneux getting banned from Twitter

By David Futrelle

Last week, we celebrated Stefan Molyneux’s YouTube ban. Now the wannabe philosopher racist has managed to get himself banned from Twitter as well, reportedly not for anything he said but rather for “platform manipulation,” specifically fake sockpuppet accounts.

I don’t have much to say beyond “good riddance,” but others have been posting their responses to his banning on Twitter. So today I’m going to go all Twitchy and show you some of my favorites.

Let’s start with the eggs — referring back to Stefan’s weird and creepy obsession with young women’s eggs, particularly those belonging to Taylor Swift.

There were some who took a moment to remind us of some of Stefan’s Greatest Hits.

But it’s this tweet that may be Stefan’s real masterpiece:

I have so many questions. Why is the shoe so small? Why don’t the shoe and the egg cast shadows? And most importantly, WHY ISN’T HE WEARING A SHIRT.

For more of Stefan’s Greatest Hits, on Twitter and elsewhere, see the links here.

Good night, sweet prince. Go work your grift on Telegram.

H/T — @RationalGenius, from whom I borrowed the “cult leader banned” meme,

Send tips to dfutrelle at gmail dot com.

Catriona
Catriona
2 months ago

I once got dogpiled by Stefan Molyneux fans after he quote-tweeted me saying the Industrial Revolution was funded by imperialism and slavery. That was fun.

I ended up with my mentions full of comments of the calibre of “how could slavery have funded the Industrial Revolution when slavery existed before the Industrial Revolution checkmate lib”. Such a shame that I won’t have to put up with that again.

2 months ago

Am I the only one who read his weird last meme in a more trans-related light, as in “choose between staying an egg and coming out as a woman?” It is added to by the fact that The Matrix was made by 2 trans* women and the whole red pill thing was probably a metaphor for transition. I’m pretty sure Stefan didn’t mean his meme that way, but that was the first thing that jumped into my mind when I saw it.

Anyway, this was my favorite Molyneux moment:
comment image

Miri
Miri

Honestly good riddance.

Also, today’s my birthday!

Happy Birthday Miri!

Jesalin, Goddess of Lust & Pleasure
Jesalin, Goddess of Lust & Pleasure

Happy Birthday!

@Naglfar
The whole thing with the red and blue pills was most definitely a metaphor for transition.

Moggie
Moggie
2 months ago

Do high heels delay the menopause?

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Naglfar,

That’ll always be my favorite too. Especially the line “being an attractive young woman…”

Because that’s totally a thing that real attractive young women say.

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer
2 months ago

In the ‘beautiful exchange’ tweet, I nearly fell over laughing at the bit where someone reacts to Stefan’s posting of a picture of the port in Hong Kong with a comment about ‘Hong Kong is basically a Science Fiction set’…

The person quoting it said “This was the worst/best: Stefan’s shocking revelation about the port in a *checks notes* port city”.

And somebody else comments “In fairness you can’t expect someone to know what a port normally looks like when they’ve spent most of their life in London (UK), Toronto, and Montreal.”

Ow. Ow.

@WWTH
It’s like when trolls show up here and say “As a female I think insert MRA/GGer/MGTOW talking point.”

Since Stefan was banned from Twitter shortly after Graham Linehan, I’m next hoping JK Rowling gets banned.

tim gueguen
2 months ago

I wonder if dear ole Jordan Peterson will be happy. Now it will be harder for Stevie Mollies to fight for the position of Most Important Online Philosopher EVAH!!

@tim gueguen
I doubt they were rivals, so Jordan will probably just use this as evidence for how straight white men are silenced.

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol
2 months ago

Yet another round of a manosphere darling whining about how he’s been silenced. SILENCED, he insists! Listen to him explain how he’s been gagged by the evil feminist anti-patriarchal conspiracy. Then buy his book about the horrifying experience of being deplatformed.

Susan
Susan
2 months ago

Someone, please explain the shoe/egg thing to me! It looks as if I am meant to choose between a shoe and an egg. First of all there’s only one shoe. I need two shoes. But also, if I’m hungry I obviously want the egg and not the shoe. But if I want to leave the house I can’t wear an egg on my foot. And again I have two feet. I would need two ( if one could wear eggs).

@Susan
I think the intended meaning (see above for what I actually got out of it) was that if women want to dress up in high heels and be out in public they sacrifice their fertility, so it’s a choice between having a public life and being able to have children. Which obviously is inaccurate, because AFAIK high heels do not cause infertility. Then again, what do I know, I’m just a silly woman who doesn’t even have eggs to begin with.

Bookworm in hijab
Bookworm in hijab
2 months ago

@Naglfar, thanks for explaining that! I think your interpretation of the picture makes sense…I could not figure out the shoe vs egg. (That’s “makes sense” for a given value of “sense”, of course; there’s precious little sense there to begin with…)

Folks, thanks for the welcomes in the last topic’s comments! I have given myself a very strict internet-rationing since I have a tencency to overdo my online time, and tbh I mostly use it up by looking for cat gifs. I do read WHTM, just don’t usually comment (though I very much enjoy all your comments!)

Catalpa
Catalpa
2 months ago

Honestly, I’d never seen that “people of different races can’t take organs transplants from each other!” assertion before and I was a bit blindsided by it. Like, I knew that Molyneaux was breathtakingly racist, but I didn’t realize he was at the level of “different races have fundamentally incompatible organs” weirdness. That’s jusy baffling.

Do we know if Molyneaux has retreated to Gab or somewhere else to weep over the “Death of Free Speech”?

Aaron
Aaron
2 months ago

What would be the pretense, though? Linehan had a well-documented history of obsessive behavior that often bordered on harassment, as well as open violations of Twitter’s policy against misgendering.

@Catalpa
I wasn’t that surprised that Stefan thinks that, I’ve heard transphobes insist that AMAB people cannot receive organs from AFAB people and vice versa (this was in the context of a weird argument about whether uterus transplants should be available to trans* women if they become safe), so this didn’t seem all that different.
It appears he was on Parler and Gab before this suspension, so I’d guess he will carry on there.

@Aaron
JK has been pushing the transphobia pretty hard lately, she’s misgendered at least a few people and has taken up Graham’s place in quote tweeting and directing harassment at people with many fewer followers, in addition to repeatedly doubling down on her transphobia. It seems when he got banned, she saw a vacancy to fill. A casual vacancy, as it were.

Much like Graham, she’s also been losing followers quite rapidly, since May she has lost upwards of 300,000. She still has 14.3 million, far more than Graham at his peak, but they are leaving much faster than Graham’s ever did.

Aaron
Aaron
2 months ago

@Naglfar – Thanks. I would have looked around myself but honestly, I don’t like to go on Twitter because it’s bad for my mental health.

Personally I think that for a lot of people, getting banned from that godawful site might actually be a blessing in disguise.

@Aaron

It very well could be good for many to have a break from it, though for Graham et al it may be too late, for many it could prompt some reconsideration and turning around.

Karalora
Karalora
2 months ago

I think the shoe is supposed to represent specifically dating/clubbing, since women often dress up for these activities. StefMol is vewy vewy concerned that (white) women might be having too much fun to settle down with an appropriately oppressive white nationalist hubby before our eggs all dry up!

Where it breaks down is in the quote he chose to borrow. I haven’t actually seen The Matrix, but isn’t the original quote something like “Take the red pill, and you’ll see how deep the rabbit hole goes?” In other words, the red pill is being offered as the superior (albeit risky) option. Whereas StefMol applies it to the shoe, the option he wants women to reject. And he further mucks it up by replacing “rabbit hole” (a passageway) with “wall” (a barrier).

0/10, StefMol fails symbolism forever.

Catalpa
Catalpa
2 months ago

Wut. I… How? There are no X- and Y- chromosome antigens. That’s not how genetic compatibility works. Do they think that AFAB and AMAB people can’t give each other blood transfusions as well?

I mean, I know that it’s ridiculous to expect any kind of logical reasoning for bigots, and spurious medical assertions are like catnip for cranks, so I should have been expecting this, really..

@Karalora

0/10, StefMol fails symbolism forever.

I find it funny that using that reading, one could say he is suggesting women should do the riskier option, the shoe, and that that will show that “the wall” is a myth, so it all twists around to make way more sense than he intended.

@Catalpa

I don’t know whether they think that, but it wouldn’t surprise me, seeing as a lot of them seem to have very little grasp of biology. Better not tell them about how some people have chimerism (though this is rare) and have both XX and XY cells or about microchimerism (much more common), meaning that most people with XY chromosomes have at least some cells (mostly immune) that have XX chromosomes that they received while in utero. The opposite transfer also happens, in that most XX people who have been pregnant with a fetus with XY chromosomes have some immune cells with XY chromosomes. Biology is amazing and complicated, and it’s really dishonoring the field that bigots reject so much with their 6th grade level interpretation.

Rabid Rabbit
Rabid Rabbit
2 months ago

Wait! How did George Washington survive after having had teeth transplants from his slaves??? OMG, he died because he was poisoned by the not-white teeth, wasn’t he? (I mean, the teeth themselves were probably white, but we know what I mean.) That’s why they covered up where his fake teeth came from and claimed they were wood, because they couldn’t admit what he died from, right?

(Am I conspiracy-theorising right?)

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

@Naglfar

[W]hat do I know, I’m just a silly woman who doesn’t even have eggs to begin with.

And I’m just a silly woman who doesn’t even have high heels to begin with.

I once had eggs — but no more, at least no viable eggs.

If only I had heeded the advice of Stefan Molyneux, MA. Then I wouldn’t be in the position I am today: No high heels. Also, no eggs.

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
2 months ago

OT, but does anyone here know of a good go-to site for arguments/educational snippets to rebut commonplace misogynistic talking points, the way skepticalscience.com is so useful to rebut climate change deniers?

For example, a rebuttal of the commonplace claim that women who want to have sex should “take responsibility” and pay out-of-pocket for birth control, rather than have it covered by health insurance. (That’s showing up a lot lately in the wake of that execrable SCROTUS decision, which only went the way it did because the women were outnumbered and thus outvoted.)

occasional reader
occasional reader

> weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Well, you know, as the biggest (informed) philosopher (self-made) on the net, he could only be followed by attractive (informed) young (for the eggs) woman (probably named JosettePoupay0654046).

But now, his matrix-style picture leads to the eternal question : which come first ? The egg or the shoe ?

Wait, one parameter may be wrong here.

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs
2 months ago

Further to Surplus’ question above, I’d be grateful if anybody happens to have – just off the top of your heads, I mean, I don’t mean to ask anyone to go digging – one or two very basic introduction-to-humanity/to-reality links for someone to use in arguing with a colleague; this colleague has basically swallowed everything wholesale – all the right-wing economics, pseudo-biology, racism, sexism, transphobia, classism, there-is-no-wage-gap, there-is-no-racism, the lot.

LIke, if you have a couple of go-to favourite 101-style links/links with good debunking facts and figures (if it makes reference to the UK that’s a bonus).

(I’m not sure if it’s relevant, but just in case: both parties to this conversation are neurodivergent (Asperger’s) young men; the one who subscribes 100% to every right-wing notion is white and (I think) from a fairly well-off background, while the one who is struggling to debunk all that shit is almost-white-passing and less well off. It would need to be just one or two links to get started, as my friend has typical Asperger’s issues with executive function). Many thanks for any suggestions!

@Surplus, opposablethumbs
RationalWiki has a lot of list articles debunking various kinds of conservative arguments, maybe you can find what you seek there.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants
2 months ago

Being an attractive brick wall, I came here to ask if anyone has any tips for removing newly irrelevant philosophers who smacked into me after wasting their youth moralizing about other people’s eggs? It’s so hard to get hypocrisy stains out of mortar.

@Naglfar

With the additional gross implication of being barefoot and pregnant. Shoes OR babies, ladies! You can’t have both!

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ buttercup

Don’t bother asking all the king’s horses and all the king’s men; they’re useless. Although at least the horses have lack of opposable thumbs as an excuse.

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs

Thank you, Naglfar!

@Buttercup

With the additional gross implication of being barefoot and pregnant.

That part reminded me a bit of Hotep imagery. A lot of Hoteps seem a bit obsessed with pregnant barefoot black women, and although I’m sure Molyneux hates Hoteps because they’re Black, he seems to share their, interest as it were, in fertility.

@Alan Robertshaw

Although at least the horses have lack of opposable thumbs as an excuse.

I hear she’s further up the thread.

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs

::waves:: 🙂

Moggie
Moggie
2 months ago

I like to think he bought that leather coat just to make the meme, and it was wasted money because there’s no way he can carry off the look. I suppose at least he had the self-awareness not to pop the collar: that might work for Laurence Fishburne, but not for a pasty white middle-aged guy like Molyneux.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ opposable thumbs

::waves back!::

But where were you when the horse needed you!

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs
2 months ago

(>.<) oops, missed my cue.

Probably over here with the (other) donkeys … (not to cast aspersions on actual donkeys, of course. Only the finest nasturtiums)

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw
2 months ago

Aww, I’m sure they’ll like that. Although only the Indian and Monks Cress varieties are safe for them (Donkeys have weird nutritional needs).

In other news, the courts continue their persecution of poor old President Trump. SCOTUS refusing to block subpoena of tax records for grand jury.

He’s taking it as magnanimously as you might imagine.

@Alan Robertshaw
In other Supreme Court news, the court also ruled that the eastern half of Oklahoma is under Native American jurisdiction for legal purposes. Not sure what will happen in practice as a result of this and a lot remains to be seen, but once again it shows that even conservative justices are getting tired of Trump.

Chris O
Chris O
2 months ago

My own reaction to Molyneux’s Twitter ban can be summed up in one sentence:

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Moggie
Moggie

Speaking of donkeys…

Led By Donkeys have have a crowdfunder here, to help fund a campaign to highlight the Tory government’s failure over COVID-19 in the UK. You can see an example of their recent work here:

The appeal has 20 days left. It would be good if UK readers helped them reach their stretch goal.

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs

only the Indian and Monks Cress varieties are safe

I did not know that. (there were some in the garden when I was a kid; they got added to our meals sometimes. Nasturtiums, that is, not donkeys. Guess they must have been the edible kind)

I keep wondering if Trump will get away with all his crimes, as potuses and the very rich tend to do, or if – hope against hope – he will be the exception …

Ariblester

Naglfar wrote on
July 9, 2020 at 10:52 am:

@Alan Robertshaw

🎶 And when we say (Yeeow!)
A-yip-i-o-e-ay!
We’re only sayin’
You’re doin’ fine, Oklahoma!
Oklahoma! 🎶
O-K-L-A-

The case concerned Jimcy McGirt, a member of the Muscogee (Creek) Nation who was convicted of sex crimes against a child by state authorities in the Nation’s historical boundaries. He said that only federal authorities were entitled to prosecute him.

Shit, that’s fucked up.

@opposablethumbs

I can pretty much guarantee he’ll get away. He’s done so many illegal things it’s hard to know where to start prosecuting. Even if states try, he’ll probably just leave the country to escape, and it’s unlikely any action can be taken then. Sigh.

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

@Naglfar

I’m not so sure. He may be rich, but he’s not as rich as he claims to be, and most importantly, his money is not that old. Plus he didn’t go to the right schools. George W. Bush, for all his faults, had the right sort of New England background for the GOP leadership. Trump is an interloper who’s damaging their brand. The Lincoln Project is getting very aggressive in their ads. (Sidenote: I’m not comfortable with TLP. But they are effective.)

Nixon got away with it because he had deep roots in the GOP party. Trump doesn’t have that.

I’m not saying he will get what he deserves, but he’s already not getting what he wants, and it’s driving him up the wall.

@Victorious Parasol
Even then, he could relatively easily just fly to one of his resorts in another country and camp out there for the next few years. That seems within the realm of possibility. Though we can still do many things to make him unhappy, as the court has been doing lately, we may not be able to bring him to justice.

Or, if we do catch him, he could probably pull an Epstein to avoid having to face trial. Cowards are alike in that they don’t want to face the consequences of their actions.

Snowberry
Snowberry
2 months ago

I would like to point out that if Trump leaves the US for a country which has an extradition treaty with Iran, then Iran *really* wants to put him on trial for the missile strike which killed Qasem Soleimani and a bunch of other people. I don’t know which countries those are (couldn’t find out from a quick search) but it might reduce his options. Or he might just blunder into that.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
2 months ago

The general movement over the world is that corrupt old white man actually get thrown in prisons. The white nationalists trash hard in the air because they are losing their grip on society, albeit at a glacial pace. I believe either Trump succeed in changing that direction, or he will get in prison.

In a lot of sense, the Trump presidency is pivotal, not just because of how nakedly corrupt he is, but also because he is either the dying scream of an era or the begin of the renewal of that same era. I sure hope it’s the first.

@Snowberry
He’d probably head to his club in Scotland, and the UK does not have extradition treaty with Iran. He could stumble into another country which does, but I don’t think many countries do have extradition treaties with Iran right now (the US ended existing extradition treaties with them in 1980 and it seems others did the same around that time).

@Ohlmann
I think a big factor in his election was that a lot of racists saw him as their last hope to renew, as they felt they were losing ground. Only time will tell if he renewed the corrupt era or was its last ditch attempt.

Threp (formerly Shadowplay)

Nope. We don’t.

We do, however, have a usually (unless they’ve pissed us off again) very robust extradition treaty with the USA. He’ll not come here.

1 2 3