Uncategorized

Professional transphobe Graham Linehan, booted from Twitter for “hateful conduct,” gets chilly reception back on Mumsnet

Even some TERFs are getting tired of @Glinner

By David Futrelle

Graham Linehan — the onetime comedy writer turned full-time anti-trans activist — has finally been booted from Twitter for good due to what site administrators call his “repeated violations of our rules against hateful conduct and platform manipulation.”

He will largely not be missed, particularly among those who were the targets of his harassment and smears; he was well-known for siccing his army of followers on trans activists and journalists, smearing them as “groomers” and “child abusers.” (He was also reportedly a regular user of sockpuppet accounts; that’s what Twitter calls “platform manipulation.”)

After his suspension, Linehan retreated to Mumsnet, the UK social networking site for, er, mums that has become a central hangout for Trans-Exclusionary Radical Feminists and other transphobes. But more than a few Mumsnet users decided they weren’t having it, responding to his posts with withering criticism. Here’s a sampling:

Ice cold!

NOTE: I removed the section on comments made under Linehan’s name on the right-wing-dominated “free speech” platform Parler because it appears that account was run by someone pretending to be him. (I originally reported the comments as coming from him “or someone pretending to be him.”)

H/T — Thanks to @Now_Adrianne and @mimmymum, from whom I borrowed the screenshots above.

Send tips to dfutrelle at gmail dot com.

comment image
It truly is great that Graham is banned. The torrents of abuse the he directs at trans* people and allies are unparalleled by any other account, and Twitter will be much safer without him. TERFs have been dealt a major blow. And seeing his fellow TERFs turn on him, even if it’s for the wrong reasons, is just the icing on the cake. Keep in mind his original Mumsnet post went up at 3:16 in the morning his time zone.

The Parler account is not him BTW, Graham says so on Glindr (his spinoff platform) and it has a purple badge, meaning it’s a parody account. Parler is almost funny in how poorly designed it is, it requires social security numbers to create accounts yet has little in the way of security and its creator is offering to bribe liberal pundits to create accounts to make it look less fascist (they actually think leftists will want to be with conservatives).

One serious question though: Was Graham Linehan ever actually funny as a comedian? I’ve never seen his work other than a few clips of The IT Crowd and Father Ted and none of it struck me as all that funny in the first place.

Catalpa
Catalpa
2 months ago

Whatever happened to that twitter clone that was even more explicitly for neo-nazis? Gab, or something? I’m suprised the banned dickheads aren’t retreating there. Are the makers of Parler trying to get that demographic slice of “bigots who aren’t quite comfortable with openly identifying as white supremacists” or something?

@Catalpa

They seem to be trying. At any rate, they have way more high profile members, as a number of conservative US politicians have joined. As mentioned above, the CEO really wants the illusion it’s not just for Nazis. I bet all he gets instead is conservative parody accounts pretending to be leftists, which generally are laughably bad approximations. Though I wouldn’t be too surprised if some Dirtbag leftists get on.

Doubter
Doubter
2 months ago

I found both shows, particularly Father Ted, to be extremely funny. I almost laughed myself sick at a couple of things. I owned the series on DVD, and rewatched it with my uncle a couple of years ago. My entire family liked his stuff.

I was utterly shocked when I discovered his raging TERFdom. I couldn’t wrap my head around him being the same guy who created such wonderful, biting, absurd comedy. Now he can just go straight to hell as far as I’m concerned. Seriously, fuck that guy.

Tyko
Tyko
2 months ago

What a nice way to wind up a shitty Pride month. Terfs begone.

Full Metal Ox
2 months ago

Off-topic: I’m imagining circus aerialist Alan J. Silva, a recent contestant on America’s Got Talent, swinging through a Gotham skyscraper window to kick the Incel Height Requirement in the jaw:

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs
2 months ago

Never seen The IT Crowd, but would agree with @Doubter that Father Ted (or at least quite a lot of it; not all but a lot) is very funny (the show had some outstanding actors, perfectly cast for their roles, who did a brilliant job). I never followed Linehan himself or anything outside the show, and I’m another one gobsmacked a while back when I first heard about the terfism. Initially nonplussed, and disgusted when he turned out to be such an arse in RL :-\

Temascos
Temascos
2 months ago

Good riddance to Graham Linehan, it took too long! I loved IT Crowd (Except the episode with the transphobia in full force) but people need to be held to account.

What a way to squander an incredibly successful career with hate, and hopefully J K Rowling is kicked off Twitter too for her transphobia. They are accomplishing nothing for the sake of hatred and it’s dragged down so many innocent people who are just trying to live their lives.

@ Catalpa

Gab is sadly still active, but I think far-right groups want to spread on the mainstream platforms to normalise their bigotry, and of course most people wouldn’t even know Gab exists or find a reason to go there. If they get their accounts closed, their reach drastically reduces (Like with Milo Yiannopolous).

Moggie
Moggie
2 months ago

I haven’t seen what he posted to mumsnet. But I saw a tweet which described it like so:

he walked in like “well, I lost my Twitter followers, so you guys are my army now, await further orders” and even the other TERFs weren’t having it

which made me smile.

Kevin
Kevin
2 months ago

I just checked Mumsnet and it seems that the response to him is much more positive than negative, in addition some of the responses to him listed here were from first time posters/troll accounts. They have been deleted. There are other threads that seem very supportive of him. It is good news that he has been banned from twitter but I am afraid that Mumsnet appears to be on his side. Which is unsurprising given how anti trans the rest of the site appears to be.

Threp (formerly Shadowplay)

Good. Nice to see a shitbag getting the hook.

Father Ted were funny, admittedly. Still watch it from time to time – I firmly subscribe to the “It’s the tale, not who tells it” school of thought.
Never could get into the It Crowd as the cloud of smug were pretty impenetrable for me.

(Nick change because I’ve been thinking too much on the past during this episode of depression. Shadowplay were a big part of my life, but it is the past.)

2 months ago

Thanks to all who answered my question.

@Tyko
This last week has been pretty good in terms of TERFs getting their comeuppance. JK Rowling lost 150,000 Twitter followers and some writers left her writing agency, she was condemned by dozens of actors she had worked with, Debbie Hayton got dropped for the position she wanted, Graham got banned, and Baroness Emma Nicholson lost her honorary title from the Booker Prize Foundation. Granted, it would be better if they hadn’t been shitty in the first place, but it’s good that they are getting what they deserve.

@Temascos

Milo Yiannopoulos is a great case study for why deplatforming works. He used to be probably the best known alt right figurehead of all, now he’s just a guy begging for money and getting trolled on Telegram. Conservatives like to claim deplatforming doesn’t work, but that’s only because they’re scared of it happening to them.

LollyPop
LollyPop
2 months ago

There’s lots of reasons to be happy about this, but thank the Lord he won’t be able to make that godawful “I’ve just come out as non-binary” joke to 600,000 followers again. The cringe of it all!

2 months ago

Anyway, this is just in time for the 51st anniversary of the Stonewall Riots. That spares us Graham’s take on it, but I’m sure we’ll hear plenty of other shitty TERF takes. For those unaware, TERFs like to whitewash and ciswash the whole thing, they try to rewrite trans* women Marsha P. Johnson and Sylvia Rivera as gay men (and often are quite homophobic in this as well) and downplay the role of Johnson and Stormé Delarverie (both women of color). Their relationship with Stormé is particularly odd; some have tried to claim Delarverie as a mascot of some sort but have tried to change numerous personal details like that Stormé used he/him pronouns*, or was trans* inclusive and friends with many trans* patrons of Stonewall.

*At the time of the riots, Stormé was a male impersonator (this term was preferred over drag king) and preferred he/him pronouns, but later in life used she/her pronouns. TERFs generally hate he/him lesbians.

Cyborgette
Cyborgette
2 months ago

So uh this is super OT but I think everyone should hear about it.

CW: racism, colonialism, rape, sex trafficking, child trafficking, child sex abuse, Christian supremacist bullshit, and literally using people as livestock. Seriously. It’s that bad.

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

another OT:

My friend, my honorary brother who I’ve known for about 20 years now, who was in a car crash on his way home from work earlier this month, was pronounced last night.

We thought he was getting better. He was responding to family and was getting transferred to a rehab facility for the rest of his recovery.

My heart has joined the Thousand, for my friend stopped running today.

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs
2 months ago

@VP, I am so very sorry. I hope you have loving support around you, to help you bear this terrible loss.

Catalpa
Catalpa
2 months ago

I’m so sorry for your loss, VP.

@VP
So sorry about your friend. May he rest in peace.

@Cyborgette
Holy shit. This sound a lot like Jeffrey Epstein’s plan for a “baby ranch,” but with even more racism and hints of dominionism. I wouldn’t be surprised if there are even more layers to this, each one worse than the last. When Republicans accused Democrats of running pedophile rings, they were projecting hard.

Shadowplay

So sorry VP.

May your brother walk across the bridge with pride.

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
2 months ago

Maricopa county. Isn’t that where Arpaio used to be sheriff?

@Surplus
It sure is. I bet if Arpaio were still sheriff he would have helped cover it up, assuming he isn’t already connected currently.

moregeekthan
moregeekthan

@VP

So sorry to hear that. It always rough losing the people we love.

Cyborgette
Cyborgette

@VP

Oh no, I’m sorry. My condolences. 🙁

@Naglfar

Yeah. Same as with the original Nazis, they accuse others of what they themselves plan and/or are doing.

This thing is hitting me extremely hard TBH, and I’m kind of not okay. I want heads to roll over this, in the most literal sense.

2 months ago

O/T, but related to transphobia online:
JK has doubled down again by publishing a Twitter thread (Link tw transphobia) attacking a government official who condemned her transphobia. It is predictably full of TERF dogwhistles and arguments. I’m curious if now that Graham is gone whether JK Rowling will take over as Twitter’s Leader of TERFs, I certainly hope not as she has far more followers and is a much better known figure.

@Cyborgette

Some things never change. Whenever I see a right winger accuse the left of something, I automatically assume that in the near future it will turn out that the right was doing it all along.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw
2 months ago

Oh Vicky P, I am so so sorry for you. I can’t even begin to imagine what you must be going through.

“They are not dead who live in the hearts they leave behind.”

(Tuscarora saying)

Moon Custafer
Moon Custafer

I’m so sorry, @VP

TacticalProgressive
TacticalProgressive

@Naglfar

Indeed, heck; it’s actually quite common fact that the Pentagon and other intelligence agencies actually engage in similar de-platforming tactics on Middle Eastern terrorist groups or even hate groups for much the same reason, and it does do considerable damage to those terrorist groups to keep them from proliferating, recruiting and spreading further than they currently are now; especially given the policies of criteria where they meet those definitions of being “terrorist groups” to actually warrant being treated as such and having such tactics implemented against them.

It has been noted that many western, Conservative groups, much less outright Conservative Neo-Reactionary groups would practically and on paper would frankly meet the definition and should be identified under being “terrorist groups” or even just hate groups; but strangely do not seem to be officially identified or treated as such, and in some cases actively try to avoid such an identifier.

The suspicion is that if many of these groups, personalities and other ilk were identified as hate groups; that would also mean de-platforming a lot of mainstream Conservative political pundits and
Conservative “new’s sources”.

2 months ago

I have bad news for horror fans: Stephen King just retweeted one of JK Rowling’s tweets doubling down. It’s possible he doesn’t realize the dogwhistle intent of the tweet, but it is worrying.

Amtep
Amtep
2 months ago

So… Alex Jones from Infowars was going on about some kind of child abduction ring on Mars. Accusing Democrats, of course, since it’s always projection. Is it possible he knew about this and changed “Marshall Islands” to “Mars”? The Mars angle was really weird at the time. Weirder than Infowars normally is.

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

@VP
I am so sorry for your loss.

2 months ago

Update on Steven King: He officially stated that trans* women are women. This might just be performative, but it’s better than nothing. And JK deleted her tweet thanking him for his support.

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

@Naglfar
Good. I hope JK Rowling falls into complete obscurity and shame.

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

Thank you, everyone.

@Ooglyboggles
They say you either die a hero or live to see yourself become the villain. JK appears to have opted for the latter. What she is doing is bad, but she is losing followers at a much greater rate than Graham ever was, which shows that people are rejecting her transphobia. In a way, what she has done is aired out the typical TERF talking points where lots of people would notice, prompting condemnations and lots of debunking.

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

@Naglfar
And I only hope that trend continues because I really do not want her around spreading terf views to young audiences.

epitome of incomprehensibility

@VP – I’m so sorry about that. I hope you have supportive family and friends to help you through this time.

@Naglfar – She deleted her tweet thanking him?? That’s so petty.

A lot of TERFs, like this Graham Lineham character (I don’t know much about him other than what I’ve read on WHTM), seem to be petty and annoying as well as evil.

OT, but I also saw on Twitter that Sacha Baron Cohen “trolled” a pro-Trump event by booking a slot on the stage and performing an over-the-top song, saying e.g. that Trump’s opponents should be injected with the “Wuhan flu” which he also said was simultaneously a) not real and b) created by the Chinese govt. And getting the people there to sing along.

Funny, IMO, but someone on my timeline said it could inadvertently stoke anti-Asian racism. True, he made the whole thing deliberately illogical – and mixed up China and Japan in pretty obvious ways (sushi invented in China? America nuked China??) – but still the song could send the wrong message to someone…I don’t know. It’s not the most important thing to worry about. I’m just curious what others think.

@Ooglyboggles
It looks like the trend will continue, she’s lost over 19,000 followers in the last 2 days and 150,000 in the past month. It took Graham 2 years to lose that many.

@epitome

She deleted her tweet thanking him?? That’s so petty.

Yup. TERFs love tiny acts of pettiness.

As for Sasha Baron Cohen, at least he’s not his cousin Simon “extreme male brain” Baron Cohen.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness
2 months ago

I’m so sorry, VP. I hope you have a strong support system to help you through this.

Full Metal Ox
2 months ago

@Victorious Parasol: 2020 keeps digging new levels of hell, doesn’t it—snatching away precisely whom you’d rely upon for support!

Nanny Oggs Bosom
Nanny Oggs Bosom

@Vicky P

I am so very sorry to hear of your loss. My your brother rest among the ancestors and find peace.

2 months ago

O/T: TERFs are now buying concealed carry weapons and sound basically like any other gun fetishizing conservatives when they talk about them. It also shows how much they are projecting when they accuse trans* women of violence.

Tovius
Tovius
2 months ago

I’m sorry to hear about your brother, VP.

epitome of incomprehensibility

@Naflgar – I’ve actually heard of him. I did a sociolinguistics class this past spring and the topic of my final essay was the language used to talk about autistic & ADHD folks. He was mentioned by someone else, but not positively – gender stereotypes, putting ASD into a narrow mold. The researcher also said that he conflated autism with a lack of empathy (it wasn’t 100% apparent from what she quoted from him, but it wouldn’t surprise me).

Anyway, I looked at the last name and thought, Hm, is he related to the comedian? and he was.

@Epitome
Somewhat relevant to the topic of Graham Linehan is how TERFs have used Simon’s work. They use his conclusion to attack all kinds of autistic trans* people, because they argue that AMAB autistic trans* people must be men because “extreme male brain” and that AFAB autistic trans* people only think they’re not women because of their “extreme male brains” (all while simultaneously insisting that there is no such thing as a “male brain” elsewhere, because bigots don’t generally care much for consistency). Or how they insist we should be denied transition because we can’t truly know our genders (like JK Rowling said). And then there’s how autism is vastly under diagnosed in women because of people like Simon, because it can present differently and is often misdiagnosed because of the prevailing idea that it’s a male thing. So yeah, not a fan.