entitled babies men who should not ever be with women ever misandry misogyny reddit violence against women

Men’s Rights Activists celebrate Valentine’s Day by pissing, moaning

By David Futrelle

Spare a thought, this Valentine’s Day, for the ones who suffer the most during this celebration of love and candy and consumerism — the Men’s Rights Activists, shaken to their very core by a holiday in which women get jewelry and flowers from beleaguered men who want nothing more than some top quality nookie in return but can’t even get a hand job because all women are bitches, or something.

Anyway, they have a lot to say about it.

search
valentine
limit my search to r/MensRights

Women in Toronto shelters getting Valentine's day packages. Men, as usual, get nothing
130 points 25 comments submitted 4 days ago by TC1827 to r/MensRights

Happy Misandry day, err Valentine's Day.Social Issues
49 points 7 comments submitted 6 hours ago by andejoh to r/MensRights

relationship forward.

And I Quote - "Go and have you valentines in space or somewhere else"...Humour
4 points 0 comments submitted 13 hours ago by JeniferLove20 to r/MensRights

After Valentine's Day, Their Acting Days Are Over- CoachGregAdamsGeneral
6 points 1 comment submitted 2 days ago by MRMRising to r/MensRights

What man has ever been given a flower? Too few, that's the problemHumour
306 points 16 comments submitted 2 months ago by TikTokRuinedMyLife to r/MensRights

The harsh truth about Valentine's dayHumour
555 points 17 comments submitted 1 year ago by swiet to r/MensRights

The Valentine's Day gap: "Americans are expected to spend $20.7 billion on Valentine’s Day this year ... Men will spend the most on the holiday, an average of $339. Women spend around $64"Social Issues
33 points 16 comments submitted 1 year ago by qp0n to r/MensRights

Yes, that’s right, they’re mad that that a private charity in Toronto is giving Valentine’s day care packages to women and children in domestic violence shelters.

Happily, one creative Men’s Rights Redditor thinks he has a solution to all this misandry: a new government commission tasked with making sure men get their money’s worth out of Valentine’s Day and, indeed, every other day in which they are in relationships with selfish bitch ladies. As TC1827 laments, V-Day

should be gender neutral but has become all about women. Personally, I think there ought to be government commissions to examine relationships to ensure that each party is getting a fair deal. Men are not ATMs, Men and Women need to realize that.

Somehow I don’t see that happening any time soon. But it does sound like a good premise for the world’s worst rom-com.

Send tips to dfutrelle at gmail dot com.

Victorious Parasol
7 months ago

I’ve spent most of this Valentine’s Day dealing with HR paperwork for the new job I start on Monday. I have even less sympathy than usual for men whining that nobody will fuck them.

7 months ago

Here to repeat the perennial suggestion that MRAs could start domestic violence shelters for men…and give them Valentine’s Day packages.

This sounds like Jordan Peterson’s old “enforced monogamy” policy. No thank you.

But it does sound like a good premise for the world’s worst rom-com.

Forced Love, Actually? Maybe Cassie Jaye could produce it.

Ibrahim
Ibrahim
7 months ago

These guys are often associated with very macho, neo-stoic memes, and decry when women get or seek help from the government, yet here is one saying the government should step in and ensure his personal relationship is going the way he wants it to.

I think a lot of these movements are made up of uncharismatic guys who haven’t worked on themselves to become interesting or spark any genuine desire or admiration in people, especially their romantic partners, and are sour graping it all the way with all of this angry blame.

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

OT:

I spending my Valentines Day being conficted.

I got a letter of conditional admissions to CSULB.

Now to worry if my official transcript grades will be the reason why I’m not let in.

Lainy
Lainy
7 months ago

I celebrated Valentine’s day with my dad. We went to a museum and my husband sent me the next book in a series I like that I had talked about a month go as a present. It’s been a pretty good day.

7 months ago

I haven’t really done much for Valentine’s Day. Since I’m not currently in a relationship, I went to work, did my normal day to day routine. A fine day, but not out of the ordinary.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

I just now, after all these years, realized something funny about the men as ATMs whine that the manosphere always does.

When I go to an ATM and take out cash, I’m not getting free cash. I’m converting to cash my money that I earned. I’m taking out a small portion from the bank of what I put into it earlier.

The manosphere accidentally stumbled into a perfect analogy. They’re entitled asshats who expect women to put everything into relationships, but are outraged when men are expected to give anything in return.

otrame
otrame

@Ibrahim

I think your second paragraph is partially true. But their real problem is that the only women they want are young and sexy women. Since there is a lot of competition for young and sexy women, they feel misused. Even if they do settle for someone less than gorgeous they tend to treat such women very badly, out of spite, thus quickly ending the relationship (because more and more women are realizing they don’t have to put up with that crap).

There are a hell of a lot of “involuntary celibate” women out there, too. You may hear one mention that they would like to be in a nice relationship or at the very least, get laid now and then. What they don’t do is whine like a three year old who needs a nap.

Ibrahim
Ibrahim

@otrame

I get what you’re saying. I don’t think we can say that “they ” (women) simply don’t engage in a particular activity at all. There are, of course, all sorts of people, and for all we know, there very well may be women who do whine like three year olds who need naps about wanting the types of relationships they haven’t been able find.

I’ve myself known some very whiny, infantile adults who were both male and female, but no, I haven’t seen a formal movement of women devoted to whining about not being in relationships.

Genjones
Genjones
7 months ago

Be careful what you wish for! Can you imagine if an auditor tallied up all the unpaid labor?

Snowberry
Snowberry

@Ibrahim:

r/Trufemcels. To be fair, I’m not aware of a “formal” movement either, and that one appears to be more whining about beauty standards than about lack of relationships.

Ann Hatzakis
Ann Hatzakis
7 months ago

They don’t seem to understand the concept of loving yourself for Valentine’s Day

Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
7 months ago

My V.D. was made whole by seeing a ‘toon showing a couple seated at a fancy restaurant, wine, tablecloth…

A dude in a Roman-looking robe was addressing them, head in hand… no, really… disconnected head in his hand

“Hi, my name is Valentine. I was brutally beaten and beheaded in 276 A.D. I’d like to thank you for romantically remembering me on this day. Enjoy your dinner!”

… I’m just… not right… I guess

Susan
Susan
7 months ago

My beloved surprised me with a lemon tree! We haven’t generally done much on VD because it is silly and consumerist and heteronormative. But despite my ambivalence about the whole enterprise, it was a lovely and thoughtful gesture. He made me a card too (which would have been plenty). I made him a silly paper rose.

David Rose
David Rose
7 months ago

I bought myself an inexpensive pottery wheel for vday. Not in a relationship right now, but I will throw a thousand imperfect pots in honor of messy imperfect love and romance, dedicated to all the people I love who have found such and in the hope that I might one day find it as well. And I will revel in being single and independent until then, lol.

Katherine the Adequate
Katherine the Adequate
7 months ago

Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie, thanks for reminding everyone of the reason for the season, to borrow from the fundie Christians. Anyway, I bought some scrumptious, hand-decorated cupcakes from a local baker to share with family, friends and co-workers today. That was my VD. Husband and I had to work today and tomorrow. And a DV shelter for men with Valentine’s gifts sounds awesome. If anyone starts one, it’ll probably be a feminist. It sure wouldn’t be one of the whiners in Dave’s post.

Katherine the Adequate
Katherine the Adequate
7 months ago

Ooglyboggles, wishing you luck with your CSULB application. I’m a grad of the Cal State system. The status in the letter you mention may be due to your chosen major being impacted. That happens a lot at schools like Cal Poly. My son attended that school.

@Katherine

For sure. For all their talk of lack of DV resources for men, MRAs have openly said they prefer targeting feminists over opening shelters. And I can recall at least instance where MRAs attacked a feminist group that happened to run a men’s DV shelter.

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Susan
Susan

Good on you, David Rose!

David Rose
David Rose
7 months ago

Thank you, Susan! I hope your lemon tree is fruitful for many years to come.

Couch Thing
7 months ago

This hurts every single brain cell that I have. Are they suggesting some government agency be given total control over every aspect of their lives in so far as it could relate to something within a personal relationship? Like, would this require access to financial records? And a log of household chores? And sex? And? What even is being suggested here?

Jorge
Jorge

OT:

I’m a giant sap, and happen to know that my crush is too. We share a fondness for a certain pair in a popular television show. So, because I’m a decent writer with a flair for dramatics, I prodded him for what he likes in stories, wrote him a story about the couple with all his favorite things, and included a confession letter at the end. The whole thing is nearly 2000 words, and I sent him it today.

I do hope that he’ll go on a date with me. I’m optimistic because he’s called me “dear” before, and likes to send me sparkly hearts. I did make sure to include the honest sentiment that it’s just fine if he wants to keep being friends- I care for his company more than whether or not he dates me. But it would be nice if he’s willing to give it a shot!

GAZZA
GAZZA
7 months ago

The wife and I went to see Birds of Prey at the luxury cinema. The usher serenaded everyone with some French poetry (he later admitted it was down to just 2 weeks on Duolingo, so well done! As someone with over 400 consecutive days in French on Duolingo I’m not sure I could have memorised it as well as he did) and then both my wife but especially me ate way too much while watching the movie (which we thoroughly enjoyed, I don’t honestly get the poor showing here).

Strangely at no point did it ever even occur to me to feel guilty about any MRAs missing out.

galanx
galanx
7 months ago

In Japan, it’s customary for women to give men gifts on Valentine’s Day. So the retailers invented another B.S. holiday, White Day, March 14, when men reciprocate by giving white-colored gifts (usually chocolate, but sometimes more expensive things).
Taiwan has Valentine’s Day, but the traditional Chinese Lovers’ Day is in August. Vega, the weaving maid, and Altair, the cowherd, neglected their Heavenly tasks because they were so much in love, so the Celestial Emperor created the Silver Stream (Milky Way) to keep them apart . Once a year (when the actual stars approach) a flock of magpies make a bridge with their wings so the two lovers can be together for one night.

Catalpa
Catalpa
7 months ago

I’m 99% sure that what they are proposing would be a significantly more streamlined and efficient model of having a judge listen to the dude’s accounting of the situation (which is guaranteed to be 100% accurate and unbiased, you see), declare all of womankind to be in arrears, and that the repayment required will be exactly what the dude wants all the time from now on.

Lumipuna
Lumipuna
7 months ago

I did get a couple slices of free pizza at work. Our department sometimes has a small amount of budget leftover money or something, and it’s spent on a staff pizza party in coffee room or something similar. This was the first time it was billed as “Valentine’s day party”.

Universal Kami
Universal Kami

@Jorge

Oh, I’m hoping he says yes.

If not, it’s still a sweet thing you did.

LollyPop
LollyPop
7 months ago

Seeing as women generally have to do all the leg work on Christmas, Easter (and I presume in the US) Thanksgiving I must say that I am extremely unbothered about this particular gender imbalance.

Hoon
Hoon

“Men are not ATMs”

Totally unrelated to Valentine’s Day, but since banking has been mentioned and misogynists are so fond of potraying women as simultaneously inferior, gold-diggers and always glomming off men, i would like to post this just to make some of their heads explode

The new head of the Royal Bank of Scotland is Alison Rose, a feeeeemale

Snowberry
Snowberry
7 months ago

Sigh. Looks like I’m not celebrating Valentine’s day until Sunday.

banned@4chan.org
banned@4chan.org
7 months ago

…a private charity in Toronto is giving Valentine’s day care packages to women and children in domestic violence shelters.

Thank you so much for this explanation. Just seeing the title of the thread at the top of the screenshot left me very confused. “A bunch of dudes were all able to track down their partners? And none of these shelters screened the mail?”

7 months ago

What even is being suggested here?

I could be wrong, but I think this is just a rehashing of the government forced relationships trope that MRAs so love. Women would be forced into relationships with these men, and then would be punished for not fulfilling the appropriate terms.

@Lollipop

(and I presume in the US) Thanksgiving

Can’t speak for Christmas and Easter because my family has never celebrated those, but in the case of Thanksgiving you presumed correctly. The vast majority of the work was and is done by the women.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants
7 months ago

If you need a government commission to realize that your relationship is one-sided, maybe you’re not mature enough to…

…oh, I see. This is another one of those “the apparatus of the State should be used to punish women” things, isn’t it?

So how would “relationships” be defined? Would first-time OKCupid daters be required to submit receipts of expenditures and invoices for services rendered?

Who decides the monetary exchange rate for various sexual activities? Would it be a sliding schedule adjusted for age and attractiveness (of both parties, surely)?

Do women get to bill their date for spending money on makeup, hair and shoes if he doesn’t even bother wiping his ass?

Will MGTOWs still think this is a great idea when presented with accumulated hourly wages for cooking, cleaning, and childcare?

And golly, who wouldn’t want to be in a relationship with someone who’s jealously keeping an exact tally of what he gets vs. what you get, and making sure he always comes out ahead? “I paid $36.75 for flowers and tonight’s dinner, so you owe me… (consults tattered nookie schedule) …3/4 of a blow job.” It would be like dating a whiny five year old.

@Buttercup

Now taking bets on whether these men call themselves “small-government” conservatives or libertarians.

you owe me… (consults tattered nookie schedule) …3/4 of a blow job.

What would that even mean? If that means what I think it does, that would be rather unpleasant.

Paireon
Paireon
7 months ago

Eh, my mom took me out to a cheap chain restaurant (big entree plus one wine glass each cost under 50$ Canadian, tip included)… Was nice.

(neither of us are in a relationship, her by choice, me by social incompetence).

In any case, considering the fact that, in the Western world (or at least the Anglo-Saxon world), Valentine’s probably developed as it did as a way for men to treat their feminine SOs well for a day (or at least an evening) to make up for the rest of the year’s bullshit, I fail to see the problem (especially as those manbabies want to turn the clock back to before the suffragette movement, when even that token of appreciation would be unneeded due to women back then “knowing their place”).

(Yes I know it also developed as a crass commercialization tactic in the otherwise empty period between the holiday season and Easter)

@Paireon

Bbbut…teh menz! Women sit around all the time eating bon bons, why should hard working men have to give them more bonbons? /s

Susan
Susan
7 months ago

@Jorge What a lovely gift. We’re all going to need an update on what happened!!

Catalpa
Catalpa
7 months ago

Given that a number of the misogynistic whiners aren’t partnered at all, I imagine the accounting is meant to be in general, not merely in established relationships.

I.e. the dude works and he pays taxes and some of those taxes go into supporting women who haven’t done anything to repay the actions of the taxpaying dude! This is unacceptable and therefore one or more representatives of the women who have benefited from the dude’s largesse must be provided in order to repay him.

Or even that men, in general, have put X amount of money towards things that benefit women, in general, and therefore women, in general, owe this one guy specifically repayment, since he’s part of a class that benefited the women. (Things like housework and childcare and other assorted feminine-coded tasks will of course be exempted from this accounting, since those things aren’t “real work”.)

Jorge
Jorge

@Susan
@Universal Kami

I got turned down.

He’s still very fond of me and wants to keep being friends, though. I’m happy that I didn’t weird him out too much by being dramatic.

rugbyyogi
rugbyyogi
7 months ago

Oh dear, Jorge – sorry to hear that. I know that’s disappointing.

I love the pottery wheel and lemon tree gifts. I got my step son one for his birthday a few years ago and it has some ‘almost yellow’ lemons on it now.

I sent my ex’s solicitor a long letter on Valentine’s Day – he’s being a dick about custody. I’ve had a really horrible couple of weeks. It’s tripped my regular old anxiety into full on panic attacks. It feels like I’m right back in that old abuse cycle. I’m taking steps though on getting the mental health support I need though.

But my partner has been great, and I got flowers and I made a chocolate cake decorated with a jelly bean heart which we shared with the kids. So that was nice.

Susan
Susan
7 months ago

I’m sorry, Jorge. You are clearly a lovely, thoughtful person. I am sure he loved the story!

epitome of incomprehensibility

MISANDRY IN ACTION: My boyfriend paid for my supper as well as his yesterday (usually if we’re going out we just pay for ourselves).

It wasn’t a terribly romantic evening because we were tired and it was about -20 outside. He was late because his bus hadn’t come at all. I was at the nearest metro stop and my bus wasn’t there either. So I said why don’t we start walking and meet in the middle. This worked, thankfully -so far so cute – but it was freezing and at the restaurant I accidentally put maple syrup on my salad.

@Jorge – That’s too bad it didn’t work out. It’s nice to have friends that share interests, though – before I met my current bf (also at a creative writing class) I had a crush on someone from another writing group. But it’s still good to have her as a friend.

That reminds me, I had a dream about the “friendzone” once. It was a physical place, a room where the wall space was filled with bookshelves full of books and the floor covered with cushions. No friends included, but still a cozy sort of space. 🙂

Jorge
Jorge

@rugbyyogi

A little, yeah. But I still have a great friend. I’ll be sad for a day or so, and then pull myself back together. It’s not like I can never talk to him again, we just won’t be dating like I hoped.

@Susan

He did! He gave me some tips for improving it, and I’m hoping to publish it online soon.

@epitome

It is great to have friends that share your interests, yeah! I’m glad that you still have your friend as well. And that’s absolutely a great friendzone. I especially love the books!

@Epitome

at the restaurant I accidentally put maple syrup on my salad.

I haven’t done exactly that, but I was once at a brunch and wasn’t paying much attention and accidentally put mayonnaise on a bagel (I thought it was cream cheese, because it wasn’t in a jar and wasn’t labeled). I didn’t eat it. I can imagine some kinds of salad could be good with maple syrup, but I’m not sure about others.

What always annoys me when people talk about the “friendzone” is that it’s always framed as a bad place, or a punishment of some sort. I know it’s disappointing when someone doesn’t date you, and I’ve been there. But at the same time, being friends with someone cool isn’t a bad thing, even if you wanted to date them. I like the vision of it as a cozy space.

Victorious Parasol
7 months ago

Glad to hear y’all can still be friends, Jorge.

The plans Mr. Parasol and I originally made for Valentine’s Day got knocked into a completely different shape, but we’re still here.

Full Metal Ox

@Jorge:

@Naglfar:

Being friendzoned isn’t the opposite of being loved–it’s the opposite of being creepzoned.

Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie

re: CSULB:

I’m only peripherally familiar with the Cal State system, I know folx who went to CSPA in the late 70s….

So I’m thing “Cal State…”. and “where the hell is ‘ULB’…?”

😉

@Weird Eddie
California State University Long Beach

7 months ago

This is the second post in a week with “piss” in the title. Is something unusual going on?