Uncategorized

Banning abortion “is about making women scared to have more than one sexual partner,” Red Pill Redditor declares

Fuck that Red Pill shit

By David Futrelle

In the midst of a too-long manifesto on “the Politics of Damaged Women” posted to the Red Pill subreddit today, a fellow calling himself RamessesVII makes an argument that reveals far more about the politics of damaged men like, well, him.

“We must overturn Row V. Wade,” he declares flatly.

And let’s be real, it’s not about killing babies. I only really care if a woman kills my kid, I don’t care about anyone else’s. [Banning] abortion is about making it so women are scared to have more than one sexual partner.

Huh. And that one partner would be you, you assume? I don’t think so.

RamessesVII, who seems genuinely confused by our political system and life in general, has a plan to ensure the end of Roe: Red Pill men should join Christian churches en masse, regardless of whether or not they actually believe in God or Jesus or any of that stuff.

[I]f you’re in the United States, consider calling up your local church and joining. You don’t have to believe any of it if you don’t want to. But the church is the only viable tool we have to turn our country conservative again. …

The point, again, is to scare women — ideally, so badly that they end up voting Republican.

If we want women to vote Republican we need to make them think that Jesus is watching them in that voting booth. AND we need women to vote Republican if we want conservative policy implemented in this country. They’re 50% of the population.

So don’t just go Christian. Start wearing crosses and saying Merry Christmas and shit.

So go to church, wish strangers Merry Christmas, wear a cross to the coffee shop, and make sure it’s visible when you order your 4 dollar coffee from Becky. Bring Christianity back into practice in this country, and all this disgusting intersectional garbage will vanish.

Yes, I’m sure wearing your cross to Starbucks will scare Becky the Barista into voting against her own interests. Brilliant plan there.

Send tips to dfutrelle at gmail dot com.

Kestrel
Kestrel
9 months ago

Okay, I am a witch so maybe I am missing something.

I don’t understand how a guy going to Church, wishing people a merry Christmas or wearing a cross is going to convince any woman to change who she votes for. Looking at statistics from 2016, the one driver I noticed was white single women tend to vote for Democrats but married white women vote Republican. It also seemed that women of color tended to vote for Democrats regardless of marital status.

I can’t imagine how much more CHRISTIAN(tm) the US would need to be for this guy’s plan to succeed. I am betting on something in excess of 100%.

Dormousing_it
Dormousing_it
9 months ago

At long last, the truth. It’s all about keeping/putting women in their place, through fear. At least this jerk is honest, which is a good deal more than the Catholics and Evangelicals.

@Kestrel

I’m not sure either. I’m Jewish and a Democrat, like the majority of Jews in America, and to me seeing men like this join churches and do conservative things would only make me more determined in my views. I mean, if people want to join various churches they have a right to do so, but don’t expect me to follow.

Fruitloopsie
Fruitloopsie
9 months ago

I’m a proud Christian and even these pro-lifers disgust me. There’s too many I seen who don’t actually care about life. They would harass single mothers and female victims and spout other misogynistic bull and even praised shooters, are pedophiles, had abortions themsleves, bullied disabled teens :cough Greta thunberg cough: etc. It’s all why I left.

But sadly there’s pro choice people who harassed them spouting “you deserved to be sexually assaulted” at them and that’s not ok at all either.

Also been on the internet for too long now I’m starting to be very annoyed with the terms “karen” and “becky” along with “ok boomer”, etc

Hippodameia
Hippodameia
9 months ago

Yeah, he gets an A for honesty.

@Fruitloopsie

Fruitloopsie
Fruitloopsie

Naglfar
That’s the other reason why I left too hence the “etc” part.

Still calling out the pro choice people.

Lainy
Lainy
9 months ago

I have a bible quote tattooed onto me dude. the word of god is literal permanently on my skin. Christianity isn’t going to make women who want rights to vote against themselves.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants
9 months ago

we need to make them think that Jesus is watching them in that voting booth.

Jesus had pretty strong opinions about moneylenders, the wealthy, the hypocrites who stone adulterers, and the performatively religious. If he’s watching people in voting booths and taking notes, it’s the Republican candidates who fall short on every one of his principles.

I only really care if a woman kills my kid, I don’t care about anyone else’s.

Whoops! He said the quiet thing out loud.

Never mind the women who have a non-viable fetus, or a pregnancy that threatens their life. They don’t exist.

Me too. I’m so glad millennials have figured out how to save the planet through name-calling.

@Buttercup Q. Skullpants

I don’t know too much about Jesus, but from what I know he would not be pleased with the “religious” right. Trump is the physical embodiment of everything Jesus opposed.

TiredFeet
TiredFeet
9 months ago

I’ve got news for him. Women in monogamous relationships (including those who are still with the first guy they ever slept with) have abortions too. Committing to one sexual relationship with one sexual partner doesn’t automatically mean signing up to having a baby every time your contraception fails until menopause, or indeed having any kids at all. Abortion isn’t a consequence of women having “too many” sexual partners; it’s a consequence of women choosing not to be pregnant.

An Impish Pepper
An Impish Pepper
9 months ago

I used to be all for “ok boomer” even if I wouldn’t really use it myself. The economy is shit, and too many people have been unable or unwilling to accept that the principles that worked for them sound like fantasy talk to us because of how much neoliberal policies have screwed everything up. Generations before us have set up a system where billionaires can cause so much damage on a massive scale, and there’s no end in sight within our lifetimes. Even now, “green capitalism” is promising to fix everything using genius strategies like forcing disabled people to use metal straws. I saw an article once talking about the pollution caused by asthma inhalers. And young people have tried, repeatedly, from Occupy to the Parkland student protests and everything else, to make their elders listen and do something and yet nothing happens.

Though I say all that, nowadays I feel like it’s become an extension of largely white millennials growing up around political comedy such as The Daily Show, which did just enough activism to make it seem like lampooning the authoritarian right into oblivion would be an effective strategy for keeping liberalism going and preventing a slide into fascism (of course, we know now it hasn’t been). A lot of the signs of the generational divide, like the Thanksgiving dinner trope and the opinion pieces about millennials “killing” various industries, seem to kind of only apply to relatively well-off white liberals. Not to mention a large portion of bigoted movements these days are driven by young white men, as this blog and many other sources can attest. One time I saw a black guy post along the lines of, “Wait, so ‘boomer’ is just another name for old white people?” And he’s pretty spot on with the implications of that in my opinion. So in that sense I have gotten rather wary of the epithet.

9 months ago

I feel like the meme itself is rather trite and dull, and I don’t think it’s the best use of our time. However, I feel that many have somewhat overreacted to it. Boomer is not a slur and is not equivalent to the n-word, contrary to what some have asserted *cough* Bob Lonsberry *cough*.

rv97

Exactly.

rv97
9 months ago

This is what many opponents of abortion stand for, I believe.

Fruitloopsie
Fruitloopsie
9 months ago

Lol I am a very slow person like extremely slow I’m just not up to date what is going on and have a hard time understanding even when someone explained it to me once.

An Impish Pepper
About asthma inhalers. I saw that too and I was quite dumbfounded because my mom and I need our inhalers. And she needs her epipen too and sadly my mom has been to the hospital quite a few times.

Leigh
Leigh
9 months ago

No man stands between me and God.

Talonknife
Talonknife
9 months ago

Do these guys not realize that if women were somehow limited to only one sexual partner, they would probably want to find the absolute best one possible, AKA not them?

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

So, a lot of pregnant people who get abortions are married or in monogamous relationships. It is not just “sluts” who get or seek an abortion.

Lainy
Lainy
9 months ago

Yup, the same if women can’t support themselves. The beautiful ones are going to try to find the best man they can. Cause if you have to be locked away in a cage, it might as well be the nicest one you can get.

kupo
kupo
9 months ago

Still calling out the pro choice people.

Yeah, you can fick off.

TB Tabby
TB Tabby
9 months ago

I don’t think the pro-lifers will support this scheme, for the simple reason that Rameses juat gave away the store. Sure, everyone knows that they don’t really care about “the little babies” and would happily crush a thousand babies’ heads underfoot running to stop a single abortion. If it was about protecting the little babies, they’d also be campaigning to improve drinking water so little babies don’t get lead poisoning, improving health care so little babies don’t die of easily preventable diseases, putting an end to the ICE detention centers so little babies don’t get ripped from their parent’s arms and thrown into kennels, and so on. They just don’t like it being said out loud.

Fruitloopsie
Fruitloopsie

Kupo
Calling out SOME pro choice people who told pro-lifers they deserved to be sexually assaulted saying they’re terrible people but I’m the one who should go f*** off.. What?

Definitely not Steve
Definitely not Steve
9 months ago

So it’s terrorism. Pure, genuine, honest, for-reals terrorism.

I mean it’s not like we didn’t already know it, but usually terrorists don’t acknowledge that they’re terrorists.

@Fruitloopsie:

But sadly there’s pro choice people who [did bad things etc.]

This stinks of both-sides-ism, and is not a productive comment. I would suggest caution when making a statement like this, because literally every group of people ever contains people who have done indefensible things.

The problem with this both-sides-ism rhetoric is that it isn’t neutral. For instance, if you say “Republicans are horribly unethical people, but Democrats are all corrupt, too,” you are contributing to an atmosphere of voter apathy. And when voter apathy is high, Republicans win elections, so that sort of both-sides-ism is a pro-Republican talking point.

So I would suggest that you should not assume that pointing out that some subset of pro-choice people have done bad things is a productive thing to do unless there are specific incidents or an established broader pattern you want to address.

Viscaria
Viscaria
9 months ago

I can’t be reading this correctly, can I? Someone tell me if this summary is accurate.

He wants to attack the bodily autonomy of everyone who can carry a fetus in the hopes that that will make them frightened enough for their health and well-being that they will limit their own sexual freedom. However, he recognizes that in order to get his dream policies enacted he will need the cooperation of at least a few of those same people willing to vote against their own best interests. He plans to secure this support by wearing cross jewelry and saying “Merry Christmas” to people.

Is that… is that the plan? That can’t be the plan. I need to go to bed.

Edit: Does he plan to keep saying “Merry Christmas” once January comes around, or will he cut that out and have to wear an extra cross necklace to compensate?

TacticalProgressive
TacticalProgressive

@Naglfar

To me the biggest contradiction in the “pro life” movement is that they don’t support life. If they supported life, they would want abortion to be legal so women wouldn’t die getting unsafe abortions or giving birth in dangerous circumstances. They would stop opposing abortion and start channeling all their energy towards ending gun violence and preventing suicide, both of which kill millions every year. But I don’t hear about many doing that. In short, they seem much more concerned with those not yet born than with the quality of life or life itself of those of us who are already here.

I heard one line of logic about these guys being coined does start to make a modicum of sense in regards to “Pro-life fetus fetishists” is that: the reason they want to force pregnancies to term is because “how can they brutally oppress those children when they are born”. Because if we have seen anything about Conservatives in general and
pro-lifers” in particular: they have shown constant disdain and belligerent apathy towards life and children.

At the very least, the impression they give off that along such lines certainty make such a notion ring true in practice, and for the truly malevolent of them; maybe in theory as well.

Pie
Pie

@an impish pepper

I saw an article once talking about the pollution caused by asthma inhalers.

They are polluting though, and there are reasonable non-polluting options for most (though not all) asthmatics. Problem is that concentrating on this stuff is a sort of performative green-ness, just like all the publicity around plastic straws. Yes, the oceans are full of plastic, but most of it is lost and abandoned fishing gear and bulk plastic pellets, not straws. Banning straws won’t fix things, but “we must do something, this is something, therefore we must do it”.

Mogwitch
Mogwitch

@Pie

Yes, and that thing we must do must be achievable but annoying enough for the individual consumer that they will feel constantly guilty and overwhelmed by environmental news, and therefore not notice that any legislation that will actually make an impact isn’t being passed because it would hurt the profits of people who already have too much money.
Besides, if activists start pointing out actual things that are helpful, you can always call them out for using an asthma inhaler or using a straw once.
I read the Guardian a lot, and it’s a good newspaper, but it’s always full of stories of middle class mummies who get up at 3am to prepare their child’s carbon neutral playground snacks. In a few hours her husband will probably happily drive his Porsche to work for a hedgefund that’s investing in palm oil plantations, but he reads the Financial Times and doesn’t give a shit about his wife’s little fancies.

varalys the dark
9 months ago

I read on r/badwomensanatomy that Ohio is trying to get a bill passed that would force doctors who remove an ectopic pregnancy to reimplant it in the mothers uterus or face a charge of “abortion Murder” which would carry a life imprisonment. So, that’s awesome /s

Johanna
Johanna
9 months ago

I don’t know about the rest of the people here with a uterus, but I wouldn’t limit myself to one partner if abortion was banned. I would limit the sexual activities I am willing to do to things that could not result in a pregnancy. The whole PIV part of sex is not enjoyable enough to risk a pregnancy. But then again, these people tend to have such a limited view of what sex is that they probably couldn’t imagine having a sex life that doesn’t include PIV. And I certainly wouldn’t touch anyone who supports laws restricting my rights to my own body.

About the plastic waste thing: Yes, banning straws is a huge straw man (pun intended). To combat plastic waste, we need strict regulations on the companies that produce most of the plastic waste, but I suppose it’s easier for politicians to target individual consumers than try to regulate huge multinational corporations. Sigh. That said, the whole straw debate is a bit odd over here. It’s a very American thing to drink from straws all the time. Here, straws are usually only for children. You can certainly get a straw if you ask, but the thing where any drink in a restaurant is automatically served with a straw is very American. Servers stopped giving me a straw in restaurants when I was about 11 here, so being handed straws everywhere when I lived in the US was a bit strange.

@Definitely Not Steve

I noticed the same thing. The comment also seems to be implying that there is equivalency between the views, such as that a few bad pro choice people are just as bad as abortion clinic bombers. The two are not equivalent.

We discussed abortion here before in these threads with another commenter.

@Viscaria

That’s the impression I got. To be fair, planning was never the strong suite of these folks. Though I will note that there are plenty of women opposed to abortion and even a significant number opposed to women’s suffrage, as this blog has shown, so he probably won’t have a particularly hard time finding some women who agree. I still don’t think he’ll boost his support much by saying “merry Christmas” though.

@varalys the dark
Isn’t that medically impossible?

Lumipuna
Lumipuna
9 months ago

Weirdly enough, European Union already agreed to ban straws and some other common plastic disposables. This will be effective sometime in near future, I understand.

More recently, we agreed that in future all plastic caps of plastic drink bottles must be attached to the bottle with some leash-like structure. This is apparently because in China and South Asia billions of people discard their bottle caps immediately wherever they happen to open a water/soda/beer bottle. I don’t know what happens to the bottles themselves – I guess larger trash items are much more likely to be collected into landfills or incinerators or even plastic recycling.

@Lumipuna

That actually sounds kind of useful. I’m always losing bottle caps and then being unable to close bottles, so this would help. Though I will admit that it does mean more plastic would have to be used per bottle, which seems a bit counterproductive.

Specialffrog
Specialffrog
9 months ago

@Naglfar: I think the bills proponents know it is impossible. I suspect it is a bizarre legal strategy to accelerate Supreme Court review of abortion laws and / or some form of trolling.

Yutolia the Laissez-Fairy Pronoun Boner
Yutolia the Laissez-Fairy Pronoun Boner
9 months ago

If the string or leash or whatever was made of some kind of thick paper, that would be better. It can biodegrade and can potentially be bitten through by any animal caught in it.

Pie
Pie

@varalys the dark

The reimplantation procedure has of course never been done, and probably hasn’t even been studied before (because why would anyone?) so the law would require surgeons to perform risky medical experiments that are grossly unethical, where consent cannot be freely given and a known safe alternative already exists, that then expose them to malpractice lawsuits by way of a bonus.

@Specialffrog

I think the bills proponents know it is impossible

I wouldn’t make that assumption, given the astonishing (and probably deliberate) ignorance of human reproductive biology by republican lawmakers. I’m sure no-one has forgetten the old “legitimate rape” line.

Specialffrog
Specialffrog
9 months ago

@Pie: I acknowledge _some_ proponents might still be unaware at this stage but this bill has been in progress — and in the media — for months. I assume it has spent at least some time being discussed in legislative chambers and that opponents would have brought up its impossibility.

So I think it is reasonable to conclude that most proponents simply don’t care.

9 months ago

Re: reimplantation of ectopic pregnancies

I recall a while ago hearing about a prominent GOP member (I forget who) claiming that it was possible to reimplant ectopic pregnancies. No such procedure exists, but it seems fairly likely that other Republicans would think one does.

Lumipuna
Lumipuna
9 months ago

I guess both plastic straw bans and nonsensical abortion bans are examples of political do something-ism, though the latter are primarily meant to “save” the world indirectly by the chance that they’d trigger a constitutional overhaul.

Gaebolga
Gaebolga

Viscaria wrote:

Is that… is that the plan? That can’t be the plan. I need to go to bed.

I believe the plan is as follows:

Step 1: Join churches, wear crosses, and say “Merry Christmas” a lot

Step 3: Profit

Johanna
Johanna
9 months ago

@Lumipuna Yes, I do recall reading about that. Perhaps I should say that it’s not the proposed laws I find incomprehensible, but rather the number of able-bodied adults whose immediate reaction to hearing that straws are bad for turtles was to go buy bamboo/metal/silicone/glass straws. Instead of, you know, just drinking without a straw?

I’m not an environmental scientist, but I know that those multi-use things take more energy and resources to produce and ship than a plastic single use product. I’m very curious how many times I would have to reuse a silicone straw before its environmental impact is smaller than that of the same number of single use plastic straws. I imagine it’s more times than most people would use it before washing it becomes annoying and it ends up in a landfill somewhere.

A lot of popular environmentalism is just theatre that distracts from the major economic and social reforms we need to build a sustainable society (in every sense of the word sustainable). I do my bit anyway, with avoiding single use plastics and biking and taking the train over driving and flying, but I’m not deluding myself into thinking its enough to fix the environment. Nothing we can do as individuals is.

I heard about the ectopic pregnancy law. It’s absolutely disgusting that something like that can even be proposed, much less discussed seriously by a legislative body. The procedure does not exist and isn’t even theoretically possible. You can’t just place an embryo somewhere in the uterus and have it implant. If you could, then IVF would be much easier and more likely to succeed.

I’m fortunate enough that my country has fairly liberal abortion laws, but there are at least two political parties that want to lower the upper week limit from 18 weeks to 12. And of course a nurse-midwife who is suing the government in the European human rights court because she wasn’t hired by a clinic when she said she didn’t want to participate in abortions (nurse-midwives can do medical abortions and assist with surgical ones). From what I understand her lawyer is paid for by an American anti-choice organisation and the goal is to chip away at our laws.

Crip Dyke
9 months ago

30th Anniversary of École Polytechnique, for those of you not in Canada and thus unlikely to remember.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Dave makes a whole post out of it, actually. (I also have one, but advertising me isn’t really the point here).

Citerior Motive
Citerior Motive
9 months ago

Bad news, my dude, I’m Christian, frequently wear a cross, and have no intention of abandoning any of my disgusting intersectional garbage.

Is this fucker really not aware of other strands of Christianity than ‘bigoted conservative Evangelical’?

Rhuu - apparently an illiterati
Rhuu - apparently an illiterati
9 months ago

Oh my god, 30 years?? Oh my god.

I was too young when it happened to remember, and coming of age right when Columbine happened means that school shootings were always a part of my world, so this hits me in a different way than it would have hit older people but… it’s just so chilling.

Re: calling out pro choice people – yeah, @Definitely not Steve definitely hit the nail on the head there. Saying that X is bad, but look at Y, that’s bad too! Implies that both sides are equally bad.

Obviously those pro-choicers shouldn’t have said that. The commentariat on this site would never say that, and would call it the hell out. I wouldn’t wish even an unwanted or desperately wanted but unviable pregnancy on pro-lifers, because that can be a tragedy.

In your second comment, the one kupo replied to, you made no distinction about who you were calling out, besides ‘pro-choicers’.

We obviously need to make sure people on our side aren’t being horrific ghouls. But was this the post to bring it up on?

In the States, it’s starting to look terrifyingly likely that there will be a challenge to roe v. Wade that is going to go before the supreme court.

In Canada, Scheer (the leader of the Federal conservatives) said that while abortion law is settled (barring access, we have no legislative restrictions), he won’t stop a back bencher from introducing a bill targetting it. (The cons are the official opposition to our minority Liberal government.)

I can’t speak to other countries, but know for many commenters this is a sensitive, and potentially triggering, life or death topic. People will always respond strongly, in a pro-choice space, to any both-siderism.

@Crip Dyke
30 years. And we’ve still made so little progress on stopping mass shootings.
I agree that the Onion article is inappropriate for today. I can’t tell if it’s deliberately trying to make light of the massacre or if it’s out of ignorance and not knowing the day. Either way it’s a bad thing to do.

@Citerior Motive

Most of the bigoted conservative Evangelicals I’ve met have been of the belief that other branches are not “true Christians.” So he probably knows about them, but doesn’t see them as valid.

@Rhuu

Already in some states (Alabama being the most notable example) it’s pretty much impossible to get an abortion, with the Gileadesque law passed earlier this year banning abortion in almost all cases.

Both-siderism as a whole is a red flag. It ends up equating very dissimilar ideas. I will in no way defend harassment, but there is a major difference between a few isolated instances and pro choice individuals harassing anti abortion individuals and the regular harassment and assault done by anti abortion protesters to women seeking healthcare at Planned Parenthood. Where I live, the clinic had to have a hidden entrance to stop prevent protesters from blocking it. Of course, now the protesters just set up across the street by the CPC and harass any passersby on that side of the street as well.

As well, I don’t recall any instances of pro choice people bombing buildings or shooting anti abortion protesters, but there have been a number of times that anti abortion people have shot at or bombed clinics.

Fraser
9 months ago

A lot of the ectopic pregnancy push seems to come from one specific crackpot doctor who’s convinced, despite all the evidence, it’s doable.
It wouldn’t surprise me if a chunk of the right-to-life movement embraced it as a fig leaf: either they outright ban aborting ectopic pregnancies or leave doctors too afraid to try it, then mutter about how if the medical community would just get onboard with this procedure everything would have been fine.

lkeke35
lkeke35
9 months ago

Yeah, this is how I know this guy is only referencing White women (and, as has been pointed out, he’s still horribly wrong). Black people tend to be just as Christian, if not more, than White people, and the vast majority of us (especially Black Christian Women) still vote Democrat.

These types pf guys are myopically simplistic.They really can’t see or hear anything outside of the angry wasps that have made nests in their skulls because something tells me that none of this about women having babies, or too many sexual partners. For these guys, it’s all about the terrorizing of women.

Katamount

@Crip Dyke

You should advertise that article because it was fantastic! I’ve mentioned on this blog before that the Montreal Massacre hits closer to home to me. I’m an engineer from a family of engineers (my uncle was teaching at Concordia in 1989) and while I am a guy, the profession instills a sense of kinship. All Canadian-trained engineers undergo the Ritual of the Calling of an Engineer and wear the Iron Ring on our pinkie fingers. We lost twelve sisters of the profession among the fourteen slain. I always remember this sad day as a result.

Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
9 months ago

That’s cuz you’re not listening! It’s going to change women’s minds because a (probably) white, conservative man SAYS IT IS!!!

What other analysis is even NEEDED?!?!?

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
9 months ago

[meta] There’s a comment by Rhuu I can’t view. Something has glitched. When I reloaded this page to catch up the “recent comments” showed a new one by Rhuu on the capybara thread (which is odd in itself, as that was a long inactive thread). When I right click that and “open in new tab” though there’s no new comment by Rhuu there — and it doesn’t show it in the “recent comments” sidebar in the new tab either.

I tried closing the tab and repeating the right-click-open-in-new-tab a couple of times, and the results were consistent.

So either there’s no comment by Rhuu and this page is lying to me by claiming there is, or there is but I’m somehow blocked from viewing it.

I don’t feel that I should be either being lied to or blocked from viewing nominally-public comments posted to this site, so this is clearly wrong. What is going on?