Uncategorized

Wars are caused by men’s love of lady booty, declares Sandman the YouTube MGTOW

The boot(y) of all evil?

By David Futrelle

Why do human beings go to war against one another? It’s a question that’s been around as long as civilization itself, and perhaps longer. Happily, we now have an answer, and it comes from YouTube: According to Sandman, a popular MGTOW YouTuber, it’s all about men’s love of female butts — and the desire not to get nagged by the women attached to these butts. And also men’s desire to rape women from other countries. And then there’s something about killer robots.

It’s not a very coherent argument, frankly.

Sandman begins his 2000-word tirade on the evils of female booty by positing a uniquely ahistorical theory of war as a way to avoid nagging from the ladies. “I believe,” he begins,

that the majority of wars are actually fought because it’s really women’s nagging and never ending demands to creature comforts that light that spark. … My theory is that this is done so women stop nagging them long enough to get some peace and quiet.

So throw away all those history books purporting to explain the causes of war. Forget Archduke Franz Ferdinand’s unhappy demise. War is all about getting women shoes and fur coats so they’ll stop with all the yapping.

You may find yourself asking: if war is all about getting things, don’t men want things too? According to Sandman, not really. While women clamor for “shoes, coats, hats, purses, vacations on the beach” and other fancy swag,

most guys out there don’t really want all that much in their lives. They don’t need a giant mansion and fancy cars. The reason many them purchase those things is because it attracts the best possible women to them. …

I would wager that the majority of male consumer spending is on sporting events and video games. Those are things that take up very little actual resources to produce. Computer code is cheap to replicate and so is the television signal you get beamed to your house with the big game in it.

Just FYI, video games are expected to generate $152.1 billion in revenues this year; the net worth of the NFL, by itself, is nearly $75 billion. But yeah, men don’t spend money on themselves; they just give it to women so they’ll stop nagging.

After delivering this definitive explanation for war, you might expect Sandman himself to shut up. What more is there to say? Apparently quite a bit. Because, as it turns out, Sandman doesn’t just have a theory of war; he’s got several theories all smushed together into one giant ball of bullshit.

In addition to showing their “love of women” by giving their wives and girlfriends fancy shit to shut them up, Sandman argues, men also demonstrate this love by … raping other men’s wives.

[T]hroughout history, men would be sent to war with the promise of being able to rape the other side’s women. And in a time of ancient Greece and Rome, they were able to take those women home from those men that they conquered and turn them into sexy slave girls. Warfare was all about taking the enemy’s riches and giving them to your wife while taking advantage of the enemy’s wife …

The love of women drives men to do unspeakable things for the desire to reproduce.

I’m pretty sure raping women doesn’t have much to do with love.

Oh, but Sandman isn’t done yet. Sandman winds up his incoherent mess of a video with a strange fantasy about a dystopian near-future in which the women of the world have somehow come into possession of killer robots.

Yes, I’m serious, and so, evidently, is he.

[W]omen keep saying that if they ruled the world, there would be no wars. But in reality, if they ruled the world and had robotic armies, they would be more wars than ever.

Uh, what?

As women use technology to fight and conquer peoples in other countries so they could strip them of their resources and for what? So they could expand their shoe collections? …

[T]hat scenario is coming and if women are increasingly killing their own newborn babies and getting away with it in the courts, do you really think that women in the future that start World War Tampon are going to have to face any kind of war crimes for whatever they do … ?

World War Tampon.

We’re talking about handing over weapons of robotic destruction to the more irrational and emotional side of the species.

Well, to be fair, you’re talking about this. I don’t think anyone else is.

What do you think is going to happen if she’s having a rough period that week? Men’s love for women means that we will be willing to hand over the keys to our own robotic destruction to the women that we love.

Right now the only robots killing people are self-driving cars.

We gave women the vote and they helped vote in socialism into the West. … We wanted women to be equal, so we opened the entire workforce to women. And as a result, men’s salaries are no longer enough to purchase the most basic place to live as a single man in a big city. …

Now we’re going to hand over robotic weapons of mass destruction. … If you’re listening to this in 2030 than you are the resistance. Except you’ll be fighting against estrogen controlled killer robots instead of A.I. … You don’t see her face as she decapitates you with her remotely controlled TV 800. …

It’s our love for them that will actually be our downfall.

Well, ok then.

Sandman’s videos — and not just this one — are as bizarre and nonsensical as any Reddit MGTOW rando. But he’s got a smooth if weirdly chipper voice and a surprisingly large audience. His typical videos get tens of thousands of views apiece, with his most popular videos coming close to a million views, and he’s been churning them out since 2013. In total, according to YouTube, his videos have gotten more than 80 million views. 80 million.

This is the sort of propaganda that millions of YouTube viewers are feeding themselves on a regular basis, which is, I have to say, even more depressing than the thought of imaginary robots cutting off my head.

H/T — Thanks to @TakedownMRAs on Twitter for highlighting this video.

Send tips to dfutrelle at gmail dot com.

Gaebolga
Gaebolga

wrote:

The evils of crunch time, is the worst part of Corporate Culture. Do more work, get paid less.

While this is certainly true for devs, when I was a game tester, crunch time was actually awesome, because testers were paid hourly, and back in CA in the ’90s, the overtime rules kicked ass. Time and a half for the first 20 hours over 40 per week and also for the first 4 hours over 8 per day, and double time for anything over 60 per week and 12 per day. One month, I was able to cover my rent, food, and gas with just 3 days’ work (at 16 hours per day).

…of course, once I moved into development, crunch time was exploitative as hell, and all the devs and coders basically slept in their cubes for the last 3 months of the project. One time I actually worked 48 hours nonstop to finish a level, which ended up getting cut the very next week.

I have mixed feelings about my time in the game industry.

Battering Lamb
Battering Lamb
10 months ago

Gah! My Sterling fandom has been exposed! Raistin! Fetch my smokebombs!

I have mixed feelings about my time in the game industry.

That I can imagine. I don’t know how different that is with companies around the world, though I’d guess it’d depend on the labor-laws of the specific country they’re in.

I would say the problem with them is that they don’t differentiate between pro- or con- or neutral or whatever, only if it’s popular and/or is about the subject or not. Then couple this with alt-righters churning out videos about their hobby horses by the truckload.

Result: People get far right content recommended about everything even slightly “controversial”.

This. I tend to google a channel before I watch a video if it is about something controversial, or look at the channel itself. Or if they have collaborations with other channels that I trust. And of course vigorously using the channel-blocking option is one of the few things that makes youtube slightly less of a hellhole.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

I get far right recs when I watch figure skating videos uploaded by Russian YouTubers. Because apparently watching a Russian video means I must love Putin and Trump.

Sylvia Daniella Foxglove

@Paireon
I’ll have to check YongYea out. I’m always wary of alot of Gaming YouTubers, because YouTube loves to push right wing Fascists, so unless the title actually mentions being social justice focused, or non alt right, or something else, I tend to pass over them. It’s a bummer.

@Gaebolga
I was alot younger then, but it did seem like everything was better for many workers back then. Not perfect, but definitely better. The Video Game Industry still crunched alot, but you were rewarded for doing it generally. Now from what I hear it’s bad for everyone. Testers arent given enough time to do their work, rarely get overtime, and much more. Same with everyone else. Good ol California overtime… Should be standard everywhere. And yikes, I wish I havent heard so many stories like that. It makes me feel guilty, for my love of video games. I can definitely understand the mixed feelings. I was hoping that the Indie industry would help, but it seems they are using the same bad business practices as the AAAs…

Jesalin, Goddess of Lust & Pleasure
Jesalin, Goddess of Lust & Pleasure
10 months ago

Gah! My Sterling fandom has been exposed! Raistin! Fetch my smokebombs!

For a second I read that as Raistlin, I can’t stand that nihilistic jackass, or for that matter most of the setting. I rather like the Kender though.

Sylvia Daniella Foxglove

@Jesalin
Ahhh, dont like Mormon fantasy land? I do like it, but mostly because they tried to be different at least, without it feeling like so much cultural appropriation. Though I will admit that the Kender are unequivocally the best part about Dragonlance. I want to use them in my Homebrew setting .Just have to be careful not to use any Romany or Traveller stereotypes, which is something I have to look out for in my setting, it being somewhat based on the real world, so people can play what they want… I want to make it open to all people, so that everyone has a place there that’s not offensive, which is tricky because I’m a very privileged white person, well, in some ways. I just want a setting that allows all people to be able to play Herpic archetypes from their own culture. Sorry, I’ll stop. Feeling a bit talkative after having to deal with the comment section on a pro trans post.

Moggie
Moggie
10 months ago

Speaking of gaming youtubers, I’ve just watched Hbomb’s latest video, in praise of Pathologic (backers only at the moment). Our boi certainly has some skill, because I sat through a two-hour video about an ancient game I have no desire to play, and I enjoyed it!

The game industry is in desperate need of unionisation.

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer

@Gaebolga:

I’m reminded of Sword Art Online Abridged, the parody video which mocked not only the original’s ending but also video game development cycles at the same time when they described at the end the way the whole ‘VR game can actually kill people’ thing was actually the result of a software bug caused by the lead designer being without sleep for several days during the pre-release crunch. “‘Oh, nobody will care about a few bugs’, they said. F***ing Bethesda.”

Definitely not Steve
Definitely not Steve
10 months ago

It elevates my heart’s temperature to see several followers of Sterling here (thank God for him).

Down with the “tree-puhl ayyyy” video game industry, and any industry that considers its workers disposable!

Moggie
Moggie
10 months ago

I still don’t know what to make of Jim Sterling’s wrestling, though.

Nequam
Nequam
10 months ago

@Lainy: You meant your husband likes lighters, right? ‘Cause sedan chairs, palanquins and the like *are* very cool but take up a lot of space…

Naglfar
Naglfar

@Nequam
I was picturing litterbaskets, and I thought that was a bit of an unusual thing to collect, but to each their own. I’d like a palanquin, but they are a bit pricey and unpractical these days. I don’t believe there are any litters available at WalMart, either.

@Sylvia Danielle Foxglove

Feel free to keep talking, if it helps you decompress. I tend to avoid comments sections elsewhere unless I’m feeling particularly masochistic. The exception, of course, is the comments here, where we have a wonderful community and we can take out trolls before they take over.

Oh, and does your Homebrew setting include the estrogen space robots?

Lainy
Lainy

I meant lighters yes

numerobis
numerobis
10 months ago

Ah! I was thinking he really liked to pamper your cat’s pooping time.

numerobis
numerobis
10 months ago

A guy I know told me he had it easy: the art team only does a few weeks of crunch on a project. It’s the developers who do months at a time.

And I was thinking: multiple weeks of crunch? That’s stupid!

Lainy
Lainy
10 months ago

Ah! I was thinking he really liked to pamper your cat’s pooping time.

No, Jessie never really figured out how to cover it anyways. :'(

Lainy
Lainy
10 months ago

The vet sent me a sympathy card and a little imprint of Jessie paws. It even had little lines in where his fur tuffs were. He had little fur tuffs in his ears and on his toes. he was a majestic three feet long maine coon cat.

Victorious Parasol
10 months ago

Maine coon kitties are awesome. I have a pawprint from our beloved “Monsieur FLOOF,” aka Engineer Kitty and a few other nicknames. It’s a nice momento.

Lainy
Lainy
10 months ago

Jessie was big kitty because he was the runt of his litter and then one day boom he became a giant.

Naglfar
Naglfar
10 months ago

O/T, but did anyone else notice Trump’s unusual hospital visit yesterday? I’m wondering if the stress of the impeachment is taking a physical toll.

Gaebolga
Gaebolga

Naglfar wrote:

I’m wondering if the stress of the impeachment is taking a physical toll.

Meh. As long as it lives long enough to die in prison, I don’t really give a shit about its health.

tim gueguen
10 months ago

I don’t want Trump to die in office. It will just generate another giant conspiracy theory to cause trouble for everyone. “Deep State murdered our President to stop him from getting Crooked Hillary and the Hollywood pedophiles!”

Allandrel
Allandrel
10 months ago

I’m always surprised by people expressing love for kender, because to me they are one of the worst things to be found in any D&D setting.

There’s a certain player type whose primary enjoyment comes from disrupting the game and causing party strife, and kender are a race that is designed to encourage exactly that kind of play, so that when the player drives a session off the rails and makes life difficult not just for the GM but for all the other players, they can just point at the rulebook and say “But that’s what my character would do! It says right here that kender do this kind of thing all the time!”

And even worse, the books constantly tell us that everybody finds these impulsive, thieving little assholes just so lovable, and that anyone who dislikes kender is a Bad Person. No, kender are Bad People, because no matter how many times you tell them “it upsets me when you get into my pack and take things,” they “forget.” That’s not “childlike innocence,” that’s a sociopath.

In any sane campaign setting, the combination of kender’s complete lack of concern for other people, their disregard for basic etiquette, and their biological lack of self-preservation instincts would have seen them wiped out long ago.

Oh Lordy do I hate kender.

Fabe
Fabe

@tim gueguen

I think things might be at the point that no matter how or when Trump dies there will be conspiracy accusations.

PickleFields
PickleFields
10 months ago

I have not yet received the keys to my army of killer robots. Who do I talk to to have this rectified at once? I don’t have periods any more and I’m not that into shoes but I’m sure I can find a reason to use them.

Battering Lamb
Battering Lamb
10 months ago

Haven’t read those books (Raistlin has a pretty nifty song by Blind Guardian based on him which is as far as my knowledge goes. He doesn’t seem like the type to fetch me anything), know the kender by reputation in D&D (basically what Allandrei described). I was trying to reference Jim’s commentocracy videos where he pretends to be french nobility and I could never quite make out what he calls his servant. Raistin was the closest I got. :p

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
10 months ago

I think things might be at the point that no matter how or when Trump leaves office there will be conspiracy accusations.

Moggie
Moggie

@Battering Lamb:

I think it’s Royston.

gijoel
gijoel
10 months ago

Why do I have this mental image of Terminators with large fake boobs stomping on skulls?

galanx
galanx
10 months ago

I’m not sure I get his argument. Women start wars by nagging men into going to steal other men’s stuff’, then men rape the opponents’ women and bring them home as sexy slave girls- and the women at home are good with this why? Is it that aside from being sexy slave girls they’re good at housework so the nagging women can sit around all day trying on shoes? I don’t think my wife would appreciate me bringing home a sexy slave girl that I’d already raped on the grounds that she can also do dishes.

Lumipuna (nee Arctic Ape)
Lumipuna (nee Arctic Ape)
10 months ago

Certainly, if he dies or suffers a dramatic health decline while in office. The MAGA cult has been building image of him as some ageless, highly fit superman.

Regarding his recent hospital trip, it probably wasn’t that serious because elderly people often get these sudden health hiccups. (Though I have to say, the DPRK-style secrecy and handwaving around it is really pathetic.)

On the other hand, Trump being in his 70s (and seemingly not exceptionally healthy for his age) makes me think there’s a poor chance of him lasting functional until January 2025. Honestly, I think he’s only marginally functional for the job even now. His campaign really needs the superman image for the 2020 election, hence the secrecy and handwaving.

Aside from death or a sudden decline, there’s actually a chance he’ll live very long with slowly advancing dementia. That’s part of what creeps me out with the “jokes” about him staying in office past his second term. If the Republicans could pull it off, and there was no other way for them to cling to power, I could see them eventually playing out a Norwegian Blue skit with severely incapacitated Trump.

Buttercup A. Skullpants
Buttercup A. Skullpants
10 months ago

The White House has a fairly well-equipped medical facility on the premises, so whatever it was, it must have been something urgent that required more powerful diagnostics. There was a video loop from this weekend of Trump and the WH physician hustling to the limo. Behind them, the Secret Service were running. (One of the SS had a grin on his face, which was interesting).

Seems entirely normal to run to the car for a routine unscheduled physical at 4:00 on a Saturday afternoon.

Allandrel
Allandrel

@Lumipuna

That’s certainly how they keep drawing him. It is SO CREEPY.

That is pretty much what they did with Reagan, who was already showing major signs of deterioration during the re-election campaign.

Battering Lamb
Battering Lamb
9 months ago

@Moggie: Ah, Royston. I wouldn’t have guessed that. I was really sure about the ‘a’. :p

Crap, that would even work with the memes comparing Trump to the Emperor from Warhammer 40K (who is a husk artificially kept alive as a symbol of the imperium, which is in fact a fascist state).

I need a drink. Tea, definitely.

sunnysombrera
sunnysombrera
9 months ago

The only consistency these “arguments” ever hold is: men do bad things because women make them do it but also because men are biologically driven to do it and its women’s fault for not preventing them.

THEREFORE, it’s the nagging wives’ fault that the sexy slave girls are being captured and raped, even if said wives don’t like it. Checkmate feminists.

Naglfar
Naglfar
9 months ago

There are conspiracy theories regardless of what happens. It may cause conspiracy theorists to spin more yarns, but they do that anyway and if he dies in office it will definitely prevent him from winning again.

There’s a bit of a conspiracy theory afloat right now (that I’m not buying) that posits that the party is using Trump’s health to push him to resign before the impeachment to spare the shame of him getting impeached. It’s probably not true, seeing as I don’t think Trump would ever resign.

Cat Mara
Cat Mara
9 months ago

Count me among the Jim Sterling fans. Although I’m not a gamer by any means (hell, “gaming” for me normally means firing up a Spectrum emulator for a few rounds of Jet-Set Willy 😉), he’s been fighting to raise awareness of the shitty work conditions in the gaming industry and the use of predatory mechanisms like “loot boxes” even in games ostensibly aimed at children.

I worked on a project where the QA lead had done a stint in a games company. He said he’d never go back to a place that toxic ever again. Insane hours and a culture of “rock star” developers allowed– encouraged, even– to shit on everyone below them in the pecking order. This was the late 90s, it’s probably tens of times worse now given the sums of money involved.

Lumipuna (nee Arctic Ape)
Lumipuna (nee Arctic Ape)
9 months ago

As for the prospect of Trump’s sudden dramatic health collapse, I already saw people on Twitter make references to the 1993 film Dave. I saw that film long ago on Finnish TV, and now went to rehearse the plot on Wikipedia.

Anyway, it seems that nowadays the reality is just too strange for the premise of that film. Can you imagine Bill and Ellen Mitchell being written like Donald and Melania Trump? Or Gary Nance like Mike Pence?

The President cheating his wife with a hot young White House staffer? Makes too much sense to be realistic these days.

Kevin
Kevin

@ Alan Robertshaw

O/T I have a question about courtroom arcana.

As a barrister’s gown comes to show its age, is it customary to leave it that way as a sign of the wearer’s presumed long experience?

Sylvia Daniella Foxglove

@Naglfar
In a way, yes, they do*laughs* I have a bunch of islands that are near where a giant dimensional catastrophe happened, so that’s my Pulp Fiction place, where I can put anything anomalous there, since many of the early D and D stuff had lots of aliens, spaceships, and other stuff. So anything that doesnt quite fit in, can go on one of the islands. Crashed spaceships because of the pull of the disaster, white Amazons who are confused by all the people looking for them, and alot more. It’s also where I’m planning my Pirate campaign. It’s an area near where South America would be, so theres quite a few empires there, with North America being ruled by a Coalitionof Tribes that have more advanced technology, mostly because the catastrophe was more focused on South America, leaving the Tribes alone to grow and prosper. So theres lots of politics in the area. And thank you. I’m at my Moms house, and she has Alzheimers. So definite stress. I go into comments section when I’m in a more aggressive mood, plenty of people who deserve a tongue lashing, the rest of the time I avoid them.

@Allandrel
Oh yeah, Kender are bad for inexperienced DMs. Really good for experienced ones. I just like them because they are fearless jerks who want to know what’s in everybody’s pockets, which fits my playstyle pretty well*laughs*

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
9 months ago

Something strange is going on. I can’t find tonight’s Dem primary debate! All the previous ones have been televised. I have it on good authority that the next one is tonight. But it doesn’t show up in a search on my TV set-top box, though “post-debate analysis” does, on CNN at the late hour of 11 PM.

According to Wikipedia it’s being hosted by NBC, but nothing shows up on NBC but the normal NBC Wednesday night television programming. It’s not on CNN before the “post-debate analysis”, either.

Apparently, it either doesn’t actually exist, isn’t actually tonight, or they didn’t put the word “debate” in the title.

Does anyone here know anything more?

Naglfar
Naglfar

@Surplus
I’ll be streaming it online via MSNBC.com. I assume it’s possible to stream online in Canada as well.
Regarding watching on television, I’m noticing the same problem you have. Every article I can find says it will be live at 9 ET, but MSNBC’s website doesn’t list it.
I can guarantee that it’s tonight, though, so this is odd. Probably an error on MSNBC’s end, but I’m not sure what to do. Is streaming it online an option for you?

Wandering Jewterus
Wandering Jewterus
9 months ago

But that’s what my character would do!

I’ve been playing tabletop roleplaying games for 30+ years and this is STILL my most hated phrase. It’s always used as a justification for doing shit that is either nonsensical or hostile to the rest of the party/players.

After many years of being plagued by this phrase, I finally found the perfect response:

Dipshit: “But it’s what my character would do!”

Me: “Then make a better character.”

Paireon
Paireon

Reads comments about Jim Sterling and D&D and all that sort of thing

All that nerd-talk AND a leftist bend?

I… I think I’m finally home…

Single tear of manly joy

Naglfar
Naglfar

@Paireon

I… I think I’m finally home…

Welcome home. Glad you found it.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ Kevin

Amongst some members of the bar very much so.

It’s wigs though that are the real determinator. ‘White Wig’ is a bit of an epithet for a newly qualified barrister.

To the extent that an appeal was allowed when a judge referred to counsel in those terms as it was indicative of bias and dismissive attitude.

Battering Lamb
Battering Lamb

Reads comments about Jim Sterling and D&D and all that sort of thing

All that nerd-talk AND a leftist bend?

I… I think I’m finally home…

Single tear of manly joy

Always happy to meet people with similar interests. Welcome Home! 🙂

varalys the dark
9 months ago

If I can recommend some good British gaming channels, Eurogamer and Outside Xbox/Outside Xtra are very good. Eurogamer mainly do livesteams and episodic Let’s Plays (they have done Dark Souls, Bloodbourne, Until Dawn, Dark Souls 3, Alien Isolation and are currently doing Final Fantasy VII. All three channels have women on the team, Outside Xbox/Xtra mainly do lists, but also stream and LP too. Eurogamer is quite sweary, Outside XBox/Xtra is a bit more PG.

Kevin
Kevin

@ Alan Robertshaw

Many thanks. Interesting bonus about the wigs, too.

TerriThePilot
TerriThePilot
9 months ago

And also: once again, somebody is unclear on the difference between periods and PMS.

“What do you think is going to happen if she’s having a rough period that week?” LOL