Uncategorized

What to do if your date brings up Bitcoin: A guide for ladies

If your date mentions Bitcoin, puff up your shoulders to appear larger and more threatening.

By David Futrelle

A couple of days ago, ProPublica reporter Jessica Huseman tweeted out some advice on a hitherto unacknowledged peril of dating for (at least mostly) straight women in our digital age: when the seemingly normal dude you’re having coffee with suddenly, and for seemingly no reason, brings up Bitcoin.

While there were many Tweeters who seconded this advice, some of them mentioning their own Bitcoin date nightmares, not everyone who replied to Huseman agreed with what seems to me to be her eminently sensible dating advice.

“Is [the] goal to screen out passionate men working on one of the most important technologies of the next generation,” asked one fellow.

Er, yes?

#Bitcoin bros deserve better, and by the time she realises this he’ll be unattainable for her,” warned another.

There were even some women standing up for the Bitbros — one of them going so far as to write an entire article about it for Bitcoinist, a website that seems to be devoted to constantly mentioning Bitcoin in any and all circumstances.

Christina Comben, whose articles for the site generally sport headlines like “TOP 5 CHEAPEST COUNTRIES TO MINE BITCOIN” and “3 REASONS WHY BITFINEX LEO TOKEN HAS FLOPPED” decided she needed to reassure the men in her audience that some ladies actually like cryptocurrency and the bros who talk about it on first dates.

After acknowledging that the Bitcoin community is pretty much a sausagefest — with only 5% of those in the business being female, according to one source — she plaintively assured the fellas that “NOT ALL WOMEN DISLIKE BITCOIN.”

“Don’t worry guys,” she wrote,

if bitcoin is your thing, it isn’t completely game over. Some women actually said they quite like it.

Her evidence? A handful of crypto-gals replying to Huseman on Twitter.

Comben then delved into the enigma that is Jessica Huseman: Woman Who Doesn’t Care to Hear About Bitcoin. “[A]lthough she seems to hate Bitcoin,” Combed wrote, seemingly baffled by Huseman’s existence, “she appears to be an extremely intelligent lady.”

Huseman, for her part, was considerably more delighted by Comban’s article than she is by cryptodudes on dates.

She now quotes the bit about being “an extremely intelligent lady” in her Twitter bio.

Send tips to dfutrelle at gmail dot com.

@Cat Mara
There’s bitcoin cruises? I wouldn’t touch one with a 10 foot pole.

The mining is now controlled by big “mining pools” using custom hardware. Of course these pools can be trusted to keep the libertarian ethos of bitcoin alive and well 🙄 and would be shocked, shocked at the insinuation that they might use their power to double-spend coins or other shenanigans 🙄🙄

…and that’s American “libertarianism” in a nutshell. Ancap is just another word for corporatocratic totaliatarianism.

Also, you can double-spend coins? I’d think the system would try to stop that.

Redsilkphoenix: Jetpack Vixen, Intergalactic Meanie
Redsilkphoenix: Jetpack Vixen, Intergalactic Meanie

@Surplus,

Check your phone against the game hardware requirements to see if it’s compatible. If not, you can try and find a local tech repair store and see how much they charge to upgrade your phone to the latest iOS. I have an old iPhone 5 that Apple no longer supplies updated iOS for, but my local tech mechanic was able to upgrade without a problem. YMMV, as usual.

And if you choose to play Pokémon GO, or the Harry Potter game Wizards Unite*, do a Google search on PoGO [your city/county] Discord, and you should get a listing of almost all the Discord and Facebook groups based in your area. The main reason to join a few of those isn’t so much for the socialization (though that is a good), but because a well-run group will be planning meet-ups to take down assorted Legendaries when they spawn in gyms, trade game tips and news, and warn when things like marathons are being run right by the best spawning spots.

Or you could always download Zombies! Run! (or whatever that game is called 😀 ) and see if you can solve the puzzle while jogging/walking in real life. Or download any game that catches your eye and still makes you get up and about your neighborhood.

*Though Rowling herself is questionable in many areas, the game itself isn’t too bad. It can be a bit of a money sink if you’re not careful, but otherwise it does have an interesting mystery at it’s core. At least so far, anyway.

ETA: didn’t see Surplus’ answer about the phone until after I posted. :/

Though Rowling herself is questionable in many areas

My main issue with her is that she’s a TERF. What other bad things did she do? I’m curious now.

I never really got that into the HP series anyway.

Rabid Rabbit
Rabid Rabbit

@Naglfar:

There’s bitcoin cruises? I wouldn’t touch one with a 10 foot pole.

Not to worry. The 10 foot pole is provided. Actually, it’s longer than 10 feet, because it’s making a point. It sticks proudly out the ship’s bow, for it is a useless, but mighty and impressive bowsprit.

Naturally, it is shaped like a penis.

Cat Mara
Cat Mara

@Naglfar:

Also, you can double-spend coins? I’d think the system would try to stop that.

Bitcoin has no “single point of truth”; it works by consensus. The state of the bitcoin “world” is simply the version of the blockchain that is accepted by a majority of the network. If a cartel of bitcoin miners is able to control more than 51% of the network, they can basically do what they like, including double-spending or blocking transactions from bitcoin addresses they don’t like making it onto the blockchain. There is no real way of stopping this in bitcoin’s current design– it was kind of written off as a problem when bitcoin was created because its creators felt that while it was theoretically possible, it would be impossible in practice because trying to organise a conspiracy like this in the massively-decentralised system bitcoin was originally envisaged to be would be akin to herding cats– thousands of cats. Thousands of libertarian cats¹. But once the mining started centralizing, it became feasible. The bitcoin fans have tried to downplay it by arguing that it’s in no-one’s best interest to start playing silly buggers like this but, well, I don’t share their optimism.

¹ Cats are not libertarians, despite what people might think. Even they’re not that self-centred. 😸

10 months ago

I’d guess that cats are more likely to be aristocrats.
comment image

Viscaria
Viscaria
10 months ago

Ten minutes ago, I didn’t know that Bitcoinist existed. It was a simpler, happier time.

@WWTH

I’d say that a bitcoin bro is less undateable than an Ayn Rand fanboy, but there’s probably quite a lot of overlap there.

I’m absolutely certain you’re right. The very few Bitcoinbros that I have had the misfortune to encounter personally, however, have been of the brocialist type. You know, the kind that think class is all that matters because it is the only thing keeping them, straight cis white dudes, from their place at the top of the heap, a place to which they would naturally rise because they’re just smarter and better than other people, bro. The kind that call themselves socialists but idolize Elon Musk somehow.

Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
10 months ago

Some interesting things have happened to “money” since my 4th grade teacher’s lesson that “money” isn’t really a REAL thing, merely a representation of other things the society places value on…. In essence her argument was, you can’t buy and sell money….

May I present: “BITCOIN”

(not to mention about 75% of traded stock, which also has no counterpart in the world of “real” value….)

Amtep
Amtep
10 months ago

What if bitcoin, but instead of mining you’d have to hunt them like Pokémon?

I think we tried that with gold and prospecting 🙂 Until we realized that digging it up just to hide it underground again was a bit silly.

Rhuu - apparently an illiterati
Rhuu - apparently an illiterati
10 months ago

I thiiink @TruthBot was the new comment let through? I don’t recognise your name, welcome! You can pick up your package to the right, hope you uh… maybe not enjoy? But find fulfillment during your stay. XD

I haven’t met many bitcoinbros in the wild, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there is that overlap. :/

Allandrel
Allandrel
10 months ago

I can certainly understand being super into something complicated and wanting to talk about it in detail with people, but trying to do so on a first date seems like a terrible idea unless the other person is all “I am also super into The Thing let as talk about it in detail.”

Right now I’m getting back into World of Warcraft and am obsessed with an addon called WeakAuras2, which is INCREDIBLY flexible and INCREDIBLY complicated… and there’s no one that I can discuss it with IRL.

My “favorite” thing about Bitcoin is that its fans are the same dudes who go on about how “fiat currency” has no real value.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Bitcoin cruises: If you don’t throw up from the noroviruses that are always rampant on those ships, you’ll puke from all libertarian bro fumes.

kupo
kupo
10 months ago

Basically I see this as the same thing as the (multiple!!) dudes I went on dates with where they would ask about what I do, I would explain how I’m working on migrating some data from an aging program to another type of program that’s designed to handle that type of data better, and they would spend the next hour splaining to me about how all I really need is a simple search engine. (No, there are entire companies dedicated to making this one type of data storage who make big bucks on contracts because it’s a hard problem to solve.) And now that I’m a software engineer I wonder how they even thought the search engine idea they had was “simple.”

In short: the problem is a) attempting to apply a technology you don’t understand to a problem you understand even less, b) thinking you’re smarter than the people who have already been working on this problem for decades, and c) thinking this will impress your date. Folks, when you’re on a date, check in after you talk for a few minutes, don’t just talk about the stuff you want to talk about, and ask the other person lots of questions so it’s not just about you.

@kupo

I’ve had to do some of that myself. I feel your pain.

Also, how would a search engine help with that exactly? I don’t understand.

This is something I have to be careful to remember on dates, as I have a tendency to talk for a very long time otherwise. Though at least I’ve never rambled about bitcoin on a date.

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer
10 months ago

My understanding is that some people crunched numbers and found that you can actually completely dominate Bitcoin with only about a third of the network, and it only has to be a coalition working together having a third of the network. Basically you don’t need to control 51% as long as you have 34% and can keep the other groups of 33% or less from agreeing on things. And, of course, as the mining has got more difficult (due to deliberate design decisions to give the system a maximum number of coins) it has got more concentrated. I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the botnets that are used for mining are close to that level.

Bitcoin was one guy’s ‘bright idea’ based on an incomplete understanding of the math and politics involved. If anybody wanted a blockchain money system that actually worked, Bitcoin would be recognized for the flawed prototype that it is and discarded in preference to one of the better systems that has been built. Alas, the cult-like attitude around Bitcoin has prevented that, and the cult-like attitude around most of the potential replacements has prevented them from getting anywhere. Cryptocurrencies are dominated by cultish personalities and people who are convinced that they are the brightest person in the room and have the next big thing.

Even the environmental aspects of Bitcoin are an effect of the initial design decisions. It was in fact deliberately designed as a Ponzi scheme, where the earlier you got in, the easier it was to mine coins, and so later people joining would have to do more work to create the same value. There have been systems designed since without this flaw.

kupo
kupo
10 months ago

Also, how would a search engine help with that exactly? I don’t understand.

Oh, they thought instead of the fancy program with all the bells and whistles that was designed for the specific type of data I was migrating I could just dump all the data into…I actually don’t know, a database?…and then type search terms into a simple search engine to retrieve the data.

It’s kind of funny because the worst versions of the software we needed relied heavily on a search engine (in addition to the many other features they offered) and that was the worst part–no way to browse to find the data you need. (I’m probably not explaining it well because I want to avoid going into the exact nature of the work I was doing or the type of data involved.) In reality we needed a way to author content, a way to browse content/data, a way to filter data, preferably some kind of workflow management, etc, etc. Waaaay more than just a search engine to retrieve data.

Edit: I think we all need to learn to ask questions of our dates/friends/whatever instead of just babbling at some point. 🙂

Nequam
Nequam

@Kupo:

“Lord, grant me the confidence of a mediocre white man”. — Sarah Hagi

NOBODY
NOBODY

Though Rowling herself is questionable in many areas

My main issue with her is that she’s a TERF.

*Sigh*….WRONG

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

@Naglfar

I’d guess that cats are more likely to be aristocrats.

comment image

Speaking on behalf of bohos of every species, take another look at that poster. Those are bohemians in that band, possibly beatniks, even though the movie is from 1970.

Cat Mara
Cat Mara

@Jenora:

You’re absolutely right and I forgot to mention that– you don’t even need majority consensus to get up to mischief. I think it was Emin Gün Sirer at Cornell and the Hacking, Distributed blog that discovered it. I haven’t seen any rigorous refutation of his findings either– it’s all, “it’s theoretical/ it’s FUD/ no-one would do that because enlightened self-interest!!1! arglebargle/ la la la I’m not listening”…

That’s the thing: all these dudes who like talking about bitcoin at people because they think it makes them look like they’re on the leading edge and knowledgeable about cryptography and distributed systems and arriving at consensus in distributed systems where you can’t trust the members… aren’t. They think that installing a bitcoin wallet on their PCs and watching a few YouTube videos makes them so, but it’s all surface. I don’t understand it that deeply either but at least I’m honest about it 😉

@Cat Mara

To believe in any sort of enlightened self interest, one must have far more faith in humanity than I do.

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer

@Cat Mara, Naglfar:
I’m pretty sure I read about that on Bruce Schneier’s blog, which I don’t follow as much as I used to. Applied Cryptography was one of my textbooks in grad school.

As for the ‘refutations’:

it’s theoretical

As far as they know. If somebody actually was in a position to be able to forge the ledger, what makes them think that the person doing that would be stupid enough to talk about it? Doing that would eliminate a lot of the trust in Bitcoin, and crash the value of it. And considering that in order to have that control you’d have to have billions of dollars invested in Bitcoin (current total Bitcoin value is apparently $41B, and you need a third of it), the only reason anybody would talk about it is if they were willing to throw away billions for the sole purpose of killing the currency, rather than to use that control to make more billions by double-selling Bitcoins.

no-one would do that because enlightened self-interest!!1!

As was said about the Heath Ledger version of the Joker, “Some men just want to watch the world burn.”

Anybody who’s done any study of actual law should know that a lot of laws exist precisely because of failures of ‘enlightened self-interest’ to actually control people, either through stupidity or sociopathy (or both). Of course, folks like this (or Trump) tend to think that laws exist to control those nebulous ‘other people’ or ‘sheep’, and they never follow that line of reasoning enough to realize that a lot of those ‘other people’ consider them the sheep.

In practice, ‘enlightened self-interest’ should be pretty much indistinguishable from altruism, because a lot of the ‘enlightened’ part is recognizing that you need a well-functioning society around you to support you while you do things.

LeeshaJoy
LeeshaJoy
10 months ago

So much of Libertarian thought seems to come down to “everyone’s a sucker but me”… which is exactly the mindset that con artists love to exploit.

10 months ago

It reminds me of the complex many conservatives seem to have where they think they’re a counterculture speaking truth to power when really they are the ones in power screaming lies.

Cat Mara
Cat Mara
10 months ago

The whole Bitcoin movement runs on pure doublethink. One of the purported advantages of Bitcoin was that it was designed to trade with people you didn’t altogether trust. But if “compensating for a lack of trust” is one of the key features, it follows that the system ought to include active measures to prevent people from gaming it. But when obvious, exploitable flaws in the protocol are uncovered, the Bitcoin boosters immediately switch to appeals to nebulous “rational self-interest”. C’mon, either everyone using it is an untrustworthy ne’er-do-well or a perfectly rational actor… which is it?

(One could argue that participating in a system that wastes power with a profligacy hitherto unseen to achieve a maximum transaction rate of a measly 7/second and contributes to the environmental clusterfuck in which we find ourselves is hardly acting in one’s own self-interest, rational or otherwise… but here we are)

I previously wrote:

Things are … okay I guess. Still no easy way for me to meet people in meatspace. I don’t suppose there ever will be, absent a big jump in my income.

And of course less than 24 hours later someone has fucked things up for me. Again.

Whoever is harassing me has apparently gotten bored of fucking with my hydro and switched back to trying to block my access to medication. The pharmacy is now refusing outright to honor my prescription — the new one, which has NON-ZERO refills left.

Even the I’d-have-to-pay-for-it-myself edition of the drug, in its little really inefficient environmentally wasteful overdone packaging on the shelves, is nowhere to be found at at least two major pharmacy chains here.

I don’t know where to get more, and I’m down to less than one month’s supply. Does anyone know what I can do about this?

I know there are other heartburn meds available, but the issue isn’t the heartburn. It’s those damnable leg cramps. Let’s recap:

A few years ago I started getting these terrible leg cramps. Ever since then I’ve been unwillingly in some sort of chess game in which every move I make to get rid of them is soon met with an intelligently-planned countermove. First, I increased my water intake, and they went away. But then somehow after a year or so they came back, resistant to increased water intake. I suffered with them for several years after that until I became prone to frequent heartburn and sought relief for that. The medication I was prescribed had the happy side-effect of somehow eliminating the cramps.

And ever since then something has been quite-systematically working very hard to keep me from being able to get more. First, when the initial prescription ran low on refills and I went to see my doctor to get more, the clinic was inexplicably closed, even though it was early afternoon on a weekday during their normal operating hours. Next time I could get out there they were open but informed me they’d decided, unilaterally and without notice, to drop me as a patient for no good reason. I was forced to go to the ER to see a doctor to get the renewal, and forced to wait several hours. That renewal inexplicably halved the dosage. When that proved still sufficient to keep the cramps at bay (but not the heartburn, which is prone to flare up again after about 12 hours), obviously my adversary took further action, which now looks like a widespread (at least this entire town) conspiracy to withhold the medication from me despite my having dotted all the is, crossed all the ts, and having a valid prescription from a doctor.

The fact that every time I successfully do something about those cramps, something makes a countermove means I am dealing with an intelligent adversary, acting deliberately and apparently out of pure malice and sadism, since I don’t see how forcing me to endure leg cramps benefits anybody’s bottom line.

That adversary has apparently at least the capability of a local mafia boss, because they can apparently whisper in the right ear and make any business in this town do their bidding, regardless of their normal mode of operations or their own financial interests: close for a day, dump me as a customer or patient, or stop stocking a product entirely, even one that’s been a reliable cash cow for them for decades.

I need to know all of the following, or at least how to find out all of the following because somehow I don’t think a mere Google search will suffice:

1. Who the hell is doing this to me, and why?
2. How the hell do I make them fucking stop?
3. How do I undo the last move they made, so I can get more of the medication that prevents those fucking cramps?
4. And, of course, how do I get all of this done in about 20 days or less?

Notably, I need 3 done within the 20 days, I need 2 done before they have time to make their next countermove after I get 3 done, and I need 1 done in order to get 2 done.

Any suggestions?

Rhuu - apparently an illiterati
Rhuu - apparently an illiterati
10 months ago

Surplus, seriously, SERIOUSLY, you DO NOT HAVE AN ADVESARY.

You need to talk to someone about this conviction you have. IT IS NOT NORMAL.

Shit sucks. SHIT SUCKS FOR EVERYONE. I am NOT going to relate how, when i am feeling low, things i would normally shrug off become day-ruiners or insurmountable problems, because i *have already* and you *never EVER listen*.

Iirc, you take zantac. Did you google it? There has been a massive recall.

The most important thing to take from this situation is that your thought process immediately went to something that is in NO WAY true.

Talk to someone. Stop these thoughts!!! This can’t be good for your quality of life.

Redsilkphoenix: Jetpack Vixen, Intergalactic Meanie
Redsilkphoenix: Jetpack Vixen, Intergalactic Meanie

@ Naglfar,

To the best of my knowledge, nothing else outside of the TERF stuff. However, I haven’t gone over everything she’s ever said publicly either, so she well could have said something else problematic without my knowing about it.

I personally have some quibbles about how she handled certain plot elements, especially Hermione and the house elves thing. I mean, why didn’t Rowling have Hermione ASK the house elves if they wanted to be free from serving the old wizarding houses and Hogwarts’ school, instead of taking it upon herself to free them? Why didn’t Dobby and/or Dumbledore take her aside and explain to her how her actions were p*****g off the rest the of the HEs’, and what they would prefer her to do to help their situation.

Seriously, that whole side plot could have been expanded to reveal more about how the magical non-humans interacted with the magical humans, both pro and con. Like, is the arrangement between the house elves and humans actually a form of slavery, or more like an employment contract – ‘if you do jobs X and Y for Z time, I will pay you A, B, and C’. That sort of thing.

Just make it clear that what would be good for the elves would likely not be good for a human (and hopefully avoid the ‘all SF&F alien races = RL human POC’ tropes), and it would be a good way to add more depth to what is a pretty intriguing fantasy world. At least in my opinion. YMMV on those points.

@Redsilkphoenix
I never thought about the elves that way. I assumed it was some sort of slavery, and that they would want to be free, like humans.
There are some definite racial undertones of the series now that I think about it a bit, in addition to some issues in the depictions of characters of different races.

Regarding her TERFiness, I don’t know that there’s anywhere it presents in the Harry Potter series (though I haven’t read it in a while, so maybe), but as mcbender here brought to our attention on their blog, she’s been a pretty obvious TERF in her other books.

@Rhuu:

you DO NOT HAVE AN ADVESARY.

How, then, do you explain the systematic nature of the obstruction I am experiencing? Move, countermove, move, countermove. I want to keep those cramps banished. Our civilization has the technological capability for this to happen, as has already been demonstrated. Therefore there is no inherent, “simply can’t-be-done” explanation for me to be having difficulty with this. If I did NOT have an adversary acting to oppose me I would therefore have solved this problem and it would have STAYED solved.

Why hasn’t it? The only alternative to “I have an adversary” would seem to be “There is something I am doing wrong, something very basic that other people nearly universally get right”. If that is your thesis then care to tell me EXACTLY WHAT I am doing wrong? Hypothetically, then, there is some very simple procedure I could be following that would solve my problem. So what is that procedure? Recite it.

Step 1: ____________________
Step 2: ____________________
Step 3: Pop a pill and cramps kept at bay for next 24h.

Go on. By your own hypothesis you can do this. If you can’t, then the adversary hypothesis is the only viable one, because it should be simple and it used to be that simple (in 2018) and civilization has not, to my knowledge, collapsed since then so it must still be that simple — absent active, motivated opposition, that is.

Did you google it? There has been a massive recall.

According to the date in the link you posted, that was well over a month ago — far more than enough time for fresh product to get to the retail end of the pipeline from the manufacturing one.

For the recall to (genuinely) be the reason would require all of the following highly implausible things to happen together (i.e., every single one, not any one):

1. All of the manufacturers simultaneously screw up in identical ways. Or, someone in antitrust is asleep at the switch and allowed a single one to monopolize a product that is not in patent anymore and hasn’t been for ages.

2. AND not ONE of those manufacturers, once notified, simply shut down and drained their equipment, scrubbed some vats clean, and then pushed “restart”.

3. In fact, not one of them got around to doing so for at least an entire month.

The only alternatives to that require conspiracies elsewhere.

Oh, and the thing you linked to mentions a voluntary recall. It should still be available somewhere then, shouldn’t it?

None of what you wrote, by the way, answers my original question:

What do I do — what buttons do I push, or what words do I say in whose ear — that will have the consequence that, before 22 21 days have elapsed, I have a fresh supply of the stuff again?

Stop these thoughts!!! This can’t be good for your quality of life.

I’ll tell you what won’t be good for my quality of life. A resumption of those cramps won’t be good for my quality of life. Or quantity. They made the affected leg sore and wobbly for hours, and it had begun escalating to where it could be difficult to walk on it for as long as two days. If they come back, and that escalation continues, I will lose the ability to get supplies from in town without paying 2x over the odds, and sometime after that I will lose my home, and sometime after that, my life. LAST NIGHT was cold enough here to be unsurvivable without shelter. I can’t move closer without a big jump in rent that would also kill my finances. Car ownership is out of the question for the same reason. So is moving to a bigger city that might have an actual functioning bus service — between the rent increase and the cost of a bus pass, no go.

On that basis, plus the evident systematic nature of the obstacles that keep magically appearing in my path right after I’ve overcome the previous one, I have no choice but to conclude that someone out there is making a concerted effort to torture and eventually, after a few years, kill me.

But even if I can’t convince you of that, can I at least convince you, or someone, to answer this:

@Surplus

That’s not the only alternative. Could the alternative maybe be “you’re having a run of very bad luck”?

I’m sorry, I don’t know much about how the Canadian healthcare system works so I can’t really offer solutions. Anyone else have any ideas for Surplus?

Hippodameia
Hippodameia
10 months ago

Anyone else have any ideas for Surplus?

Trust me: you don’t want to go there.

Prophet309
Prophet309
10 months ago

That implies there are hardly any other people who ever struggle to resolve situations or problems similar to your own. How do you know that is the case?

None of what you wrote, by the way, answers my original question:

You say that like you’re informing Rhuu of something they don’t already know. I don’t think Rhuu was trying to answer your original question, Surplus.

Any suggestions?

No one is ever going to want to help you if you continue to treat everyone who tries to help you or give you advice like crap. So, yeah, I’ve got a suggestion: STOP DOING THAT.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

The alternative is that sometimes life sucks and sometimes you go through bad patches.

10 months ago

Doubtful. There have been multiple nominally-independent failures here. 1: the cramps appearing in the first place. So far as I know most people don’t have these. 2: the weird development of resistance to increased hydration. 3: the closure of the clinic the first day I tried to refill the prescription. 4: the clinic dumping me as a patient the second day I tried to refill the prescription. 5: the ER doctor halving the dosage, inexplicably. 6: this so-called “recall” that has lasted far longer than it normally takes for a bad batch of $(PRODUCT) to work its way out of a supply chain and become yesterday’s news.

This is, probability-wise, the equivalent of winning multiple lottery jackpots, except bad. If it’s luck, I have exceptionally terrible luck. Far more likely someone has done these things to me intentionally.

Oh, and arguably also 7: the allegedly “voluntary” recall not apparently actually being voluntary. Oh, and 8: the scope of the recall being higher than the article says. The article said 150mg pills from a specific manufacturer were affected. Why didn’t the pharmacy fill my prescription with ones from a different manufacturer? Or with twice as many 75mg pills? Why aren’t the allegedly-unaffected 75mg pills even on the shelf anywhere?

Do you understand why I do not trust any claims anyone is making about the actual cause of this? For starters, there is no way a manufacturing defect made a clinic close an extra day one week, or drop me as a patient, let alone retroactive to months before the defect even happened. And the so-called “recall” isn’t behaving anything like a product recall normally does, i.e. being limited to a few lot#s of a specific product from a specific manufacturer made around a specific point in time instead of affecting, seemingly, every instance of a particular product everywhere from any manufacturer, retroactive to all existing stockpiles and extending forward indefinitely as well. This seems a lot less like a “recall”, in other words, and a lot more like the drug in question has been de-facto banned outright and the claimed reason is just a cover story.

Oh, and that claimed reason is indeed quite bogus. I’ve done a little bit of research and apparently the contaminant allegedly spooking everyone is found in a single hot dog or ham sandwich or similar meal in larger numbers of nanograms than are in an entire pill bottle of the “contaminated” drug.

It’s not a credible explanation for making it completely unavailable to the public, let alone for keeping it that way long past the amount of time it should have taken to clean a few vats and restart a production process somewhere … and even that is pretending that the entire worldwide supply of the stuff is coming from, not even one single manufacturer, not even one single individual factory even, but one single individual production line AT that factory!

So yes, I am calling BS on the whole thing. Ignoring the various dodgy aspects of this so-called “recall”, from the scope being far larger than the normal “these six or seven lot#s of this particular size and formulation with these expiration dates from Company A” to the tissue-thin contamination story, there’s still the matter of all the OTHER obstacles that were strewn in my path first. Where did those come from, and why?

Unless someone can offer a coherent, alternative explanation for the inordinate difficulty I’ve had in obtaining what was, at the time, a bog-standard widely-prescibed ordinary medication, then the only sane conclusion has to be that it’s an intentional game of keep-away.

Reminder: Except for the very first time it was initially prescribed to me, at which time I presume whoever wants to force me to endure those cramps had no more idea than I did that it happened to cure them as a side effect, EVERY single time, EVERY SINGLE TIME I have taken action to obtain more something has gone wrong. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. If not because of some adversary, then WHY? Bad luck is not consistent the way this is. A person with normal luck would go to the pharmacy, get another bottle, go to the doctor, get a renewal, go to the pharmacy, get another bottle, and maybe sometimes they’d hit all the red lights on the way to the pharmacy, and maybe one time five years in the pharmacy would be out of stock the day they went and they’d have to return tomorrow, and maybe one of their appointments with their doctor would have been rescheduled because the doctor took ill for a few days. A person with severely BAD luck would, instead of succeeding 99% of the time at these very basic and commonplace tasks, perhaps only succeed 50% of the time, or if it was truly exceptional bad luck perhaps even only 20% of the time.

So who succeeds exactly ZERO percent of the time?

Either someone with not merely even exceptionally bad luck but impossibly bad luck, or someone not ditzy or even cackhanded but so spectacularly incompetent that they would in reality be an institutionalized ward of the state … or someone who is being deliberately sabotaged by someone else.

Explain by zero percent success rate in any other way. I’m all ears. Please. Because I’d rather there was some more tractable explanation (and fix) than “someone with at least as much clout as The Godfather has it in for me”. But the very fact that still nobody has actually uttered said explanation (and fix) makes me increasingly skeptical that any other explanation exists for what is happening to me. (And that is ignoring every other area of my life where I am also consistently, and persistently, subjected to unusually negative outcomes…)

Explain the more general pattern that any time I do anything to better my situation the universe seems to fight back, consciously. If it (and the people in it) were indifferent, that wouldn’t happen, now, would it? If it seems to actively work to restore the status quo ante (when it isn’t actively making things worse, such as when the cramps mysteriously started happening in the first place), then surely that means someone in it is actively working against me.

Explain it in any other way, if you can. And then tell me how to get more ranitidine, without any exorbitant price tags being involved. Or else concede my points. Any other response than one of those two alternatives is intellectually dishonest on its face.

Hippodameia
Hippodameia
10 months ago

Surplus, this community is not your punching bag.

10 months ago

Where do you see me punching anyone, even metaphorically? Unless you consider disagreeing with or expressing skepticism with someone’s claims to be “punching”, even metaphorically.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Um, no. My life kind of went to shit last summer. While it’s far from perfect now (the increasing likelihood that my mom is in the early stages of Alzheimer’s being the main issue) it’s gotten much better. It’s actually not that uncommon for a bunch of things to go wrong at once. Last summer, I was broke, depressed, unemployed, and dealing with a shit ton of family problems and was uninsured. Now I have a job that I don’t really love, but am doing well at and am advancing in and pays enough to live on and has benefits. So I feel better about myself and am now planning a trip abroad next year that I’m getting excited about.

It’s just how life goes. You have ups. You have downs.

10 months ago

This isn’t “a bunch of things going wrong at once”. This is the same single thing going wrong over and over and over again, every single time I take any action about it whatsoever. So either that one thing is genuinely very difficult (and yet, other people taking medications chronically don’t seem to find it difficult in this way — though some find it difficult for financial reasons, especially in the US), or something very unusual is going on here.

Now, can someone please answer at least one of the following two things?

1. What do I do — what buttons do I push, or what words do I say in whose ear — that will have the consequence that, before 22 21 days have elapsed, I have a fresh supply of the stuff again*?

or

2. Where would be a better place to ask item 1 above*?

* Must be free or very low cost. Must not require a credit card or travel beyond a twenty block radius. Online interaction preferred to telephone voice calls or in-person, especially if the latter requires two interactions, one to establish an appointment and a second to actually attend the appointment, except for physical purchase of goods, where in-store interaction is preferred because no credit card, but walk-in is vastly preferred over appointment-required. Offer void in the province of Quebec. 😛

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

comment image?itemid=5134291

Hippodameia
Hippodameia

WWTH – yeah. XD

Shadowplay

Ask the pharmacy.

Directly.

In person.

Explain that you are running low and they are the only thing that works on you if necessary.

They don’t mind ordering in if it’s not a scheduled delivery. Money is money.

Avoid mention of conspiracies.

Valentin
Valentin
10 months ago

This is why no one ever replies to you surplus. If you are this rude and dont listen online, what is it like in real life? Maybe you are rude to all these people too and angry and dont listen? People dont want to help if someone is rude and angry and dont listen.

I have 2 prescriptions, I go to several pharmacies sometimes I have to travel across the city, because the pharmacy doesn’t have it. There is a lady who comes to the pharmacy near my house who tried 10 pharmacies and cant find one with the drugs she needs. This is a common problem for many people. It is not someone trying to hurt you on purpose. If I ask why I got sick in 2017 with something which makes me want to hurt myself just to make it stop, then I will go crazy. No person gave me that illness, no thing gave me that illness, it just started and now I have to deal with it. It sucks a lot when I have to go months without the drugs because no pharmacy has it and then I have to leave the country for 4 months to work. But it is not a single person who is doing this to me, it is many, many broken systems, corruption and poverty which does this to me.

But I know nothing anyone here will persuade you becuase you very clearly have the one belief and that is all. You are never satisfied with the answers here and also lash out at people and hurt them and are rude here, so of course you will never get the result or answer you want. Maybe you dont want the right answer who knows? Maybe you just want to complain and then lash out at people and tell them they are wrong and that your life is the worst. But it’s not going to help you. It will make you more angry and more isolated and it will not solve your problem. This happen every time you ask for advice so I dont really know what else to say. We cant help you if you dont want us to help.

Viscaria
Viscaria
10 months ago

“Unless someone suggests another free or low-cost place where I can ask people to magically solve all of my problems in an instant, I am entitled to keep asking the people here to do so and to treat them like garbage when they don’t.”

Surplus, your belief that you are being deliberately targeted by an intelligent being is harming you.

I could tell you about some of my own really unpleasant healthcare experiences so that you could see that this isn’t just something that you go through, but strangely enough I don’t want to listen to you tell me that my experiences were no big deal, actually.

10 months ago

OMG, did someone just respond to “where can I get the pills that prevent me from being tortured a couple of times a week” with a tone argument? Here of all places?

As for talking directly to the pharmacist, I tried that on Thursday and it didn’t work. I did, indeed, even suggest direct-ordering more from the manufacturer, to no avail. They were having none of it. As far as I can tell they behaved as if it was verboten to obtain and sell on the stuff, even though, again, this so-called “recall” (which, again, doesn’t behave like any other product recall in recorded history) is supposedly a “voluntary” one.

So …

What do I do — what buttons do I push, or what words do I say in whose ear — that will have the consequence that, before 22 21 20 days have elapsed, I have a fresh supply of the stuff again?

Rhuu - apparently an illiterati
Rhuu - apparently an illiterati
10 months ago

Surplus, you have no adversary.

YOU

HAVE

NORMAL

LUCK.

… I was going to share some more personal details about my own medical stuff, but no. For the response i get, it’s not worth it.

Also, let me break this “”””””voluntary”””””” recall down. You are telling me, WITH A STRAIGHT FACE, that you expect pharmacies to keep *and dispense* medicine that has been contaminated with something that causes *cancer*???????

Stepping back from the fact that generally people don’t want to kill others *with cancer*, could you imagine the *lawsuits*?????

The fact that they don’t have the other strengths, maybe you’re not the first patient to come in needing a refill, and they are out? Did you ask if they could order some in? Call them and ask if not!

Also, how long do you think it takes to replace *the world’s supply* of something, and then ship it out? Because apparently you think it’s less than three weeks.

… I honestly skipped most of your reply, bit then felt bad and went back to read it. In it, you claim a conspiracy to ban this drug from the entire world.

…And i just can’t.

You’re taking out your frustrations on me, demanding i govive you a *magic wand* to solve your problems. It doesn’t exist.

Frankly, no one here deserves this bullshit from you.

Also, seconding what Valentin said. You’re rude AF here, and i’m wondering if you’re the same irl. This isn’t invalidating your concerns because of the *tone* you used. It’s telling you that one of these magic ‘levers’ you continuously go on about IS TONE. BE POLITE, FFS.

I’ve had a pharmacy hold medication hostage, before. I need it for living. Do *I* have an adversary, or was it just shit people being shitty???

comment image

Rhuu - apparently an illiterati
Rhuu - apparently an illiterati

comment image

Valentin
Valentin
10 months ago

It’s not a tone argument- what you sre doing is not tone, it’s the words you use, the way you talk down on people and dismiss them like they are stupid, this has effects. The effects is no one wants to help you if all you do is say all their advice is shit and tell them like they are stupid. That is not “tone” that is just abusive behaviour.

An Impish Pepper
An Impish Pepper

@Surplus
FWIW I don’t think there needs to be a conspiracy for things to be shit. I noticed you talk about capitalism in similar terms. The so-called invisible hand doesn’t need to be sentient. The evils of today’s right-wing don’t need genius or planning or even any semblance of coordination. Trump is probably the most prominent and blatant examples of this. The system is shit, and it’s shit for different people in different ways. I think most people here have jobs that they’re currently working and have some choice in who they live with because of that. I don’t have that. There are many reasons for me to believe that it is something along the lines of a conspiracy. Especially this feeling resonates with me a lot:

Apparently the average time it takes for an unemployed person to get a job is 2-3 months.

Yet I have met a lot of people online who are constantly crowdfunding to stay afloat. The fact doesn’t diminish my own problems, but it is something I think about when I feel like I’m alone in my problems. That and there are a lot of potential problems with what I wrote right above there. To name just one, averages have a tendency of being exceedingly misleading when it comes to measuring social problems, precisely because of how fucked up and skewed everything is under late capitalism. Not to mention, it’s questionable who’s being counted to produce such an average. People who aren’t looking for work don’t get counted in these things usually (there’s a term, I just forgot it).

I don’t know what point I’m ultimately trying to make actually… I just felt like I had to get some of this off my chest.

Catalpa
Catalpa

@Surplus

I have a question for you. Does it matter what is causing your misfortune?

Whether it’s simple bad luck, or a malicious system that chews up and spits out thousands of people, or one particular mob boss who has gone out of his way to make you specifically miserable, or God Himself deciding to fuck with you, would this change your approach in any way, shape or form?

If it’s a human person who’s somehow powerful enough to remotely cause you chronic leg cramps and organize massive conspiracies against you specifically, then you aren’t going to be able to stop them, are you? So what good would identifying them do? What good does focusing on this mystery cause of your problems do?

Instead of spending so much energy focusing on how improbable something is and how it’s evidence of some vast conspiracy against you, why not focus on what you are able to do? Instead of spending so much effort shooting down any and all potential sources of help, why not try some of them? Instead of being a dick to people trying to help you and demanding that they immediately fix your all problems to your exact satisfaction with no further effort on your part, why not treat others with respect? It will probably lead to much better results with customer service reps, at the very least.