alpha males doggoes fragile masculinity men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny red pill reddit

Red Pill Redditor: Show your true alpha nature by totally dominating tiny dogs

Alpha male making a tiny dog his bitch

By David Futrelle

Red Pill dudes agree that to be a true alpha male, you need to dominate the women in your life. Apparently the same rule applies to man’s best friend as well: Alpha males need to be the alpha dog to their own dogs — even if (especially if) these dogs are teenie-weenie cutie-wooties.

You sinply cannot allow your dog to walk all over you (perhaps literally), no matter if it’s a hulking rottweiler or an itsy-bitsty baby-wabie, the Red Pill Redditor calling himself Whisper warned his fellow would-be alphas in a classic post on the Red Pill subreddit.

“Just like any other canine,” he wrote,

small breed dogs need training, discipline and exercise. The dog must be taught to walk at a heel, sit, down and stay on command. Yet the major problem owners have is to recognize that all dogs need to work to earn food, praise and treats.

The trouble comes when owners break frame and give their tiny dogs unearned affection.

It has been my experience that small breed dogs are often lavished with affection, food and treats for no other reason except that they are small and cute.

Well, technically, dogs are “lavished” with food because they need it to live and starving your pets is animal abuse, but anyhoo, Whisper wants us to know that too much of this sort of coddling makes your tiny dog think you’re a big pussy.

Dogs do not understand this. In fact it makes them mentally ill. They interpret this cascade of affection without reason as submissive puppy-like behavior from their owners.

Uh oh.

In turn, they attempt to dominate and control their puppy/owners which can lead to aggression, separation anxiety and a host of neurotic behaviors.

Whisper then laid down the rules for TOTALLY DOMINATING your tiny dog.

1) If your dog sleeps in the bed with you, stop it. Now.

2) Teach your dog to walk at proper heel. Do not carry your dog. His paws are for walking.

3) Nothing in life is free. Have your dog work for food, rewards and especially affection.

4) Do not tolerate bad dog behavior because your dog is small. Consistently enforce all your commands.

Huh. What if you like having your dog sleep in bed with you?

I mean, yes, it’s good for dogs to have at least some rudimentary training and discipline and yes, this will make the dog feel more secure. But, damn, dude, spending your whole life worrying about breaking frame with your toy poodle? And being a jerk to a tiny creature who depends on you for everything? Just saying.

And now is the time in the post where I put up pictures of giant men with tiny dogs.

Send tips to dfutrelle at gmail dot com.

Aron
Aron
1 year ago

I am not a small dog person, outside of Jack Russell terriers (BECAUSE EDDIE!!!!), but those pictures are hilarious and adorable.

Dalillama
Dalillama
1 year ago

IME lots of people share beds with big dogs too.

Bina
1 year ago

Is that a kitten with the dude in the red plaid and cargo shorts? Because from where I sit, it looks like a kit!

And he’s playing with it…getting it to chase a crumpled paper on a string. Awwwww!

Nequam
Nequam
1 year ago

Yeah, I think that’s a kitten in that picture.

Glad you found a picture of Hafþór Björnsson and his cute itty bitty doggy.

Diego Duarte
Diego Duarte
1 year ago

This is a Public Service Announcement: tiny dogs are not dogs. They are territorial, hyper-aggressive, yipping, ankle-biting demons. This has been a public service announcement.

banned@4chan.org
banned@4chan.org
1 year ago

I mean, on one hand, definitely teach your dog to heel, sit, and stay. On the other hand, do that so you can keep your dog safe, not for the sake of someone else’s insecurities.

Naglfar
Naglfar
1 year ago

Once again, red pillers don’t seem to know much about dogs. I certainly hope none of these idiots ever have dogs, as they would be terrible and likely abusive owners.

I love the pictures of big men with little dogs. I have a friend who is a big man, very tall and muscular, and he has a small cat. The contrast is sort of like the men in the photos.

Now I want to see the opposite: very small men with large dogs. Anyone have pictures of very short men with Great Danes or other large breeds? A quick Google search revealed dozens of results about big men with little dogs, and none that I could find about small men with big dogs.

Hippodameia
Hippodameia
1 year ago

I hope this asshole never gets near a dog of any sort in his miserable, misbegotten life.

(I’d add a picture of my current dog, cutest of all cute things, but I don’t know how.)

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw
1 year ago

I really miss my dog. We had seventeen years together; and a lot of adventures. 🙁

comment image

comment image

Anon-Get-it-on
Anon-Get-it-on

Hello David,

I just wanted to let you know about a crazy group of MRA’s called the Pro Male Collective:

Here is their “official” blog:

It might be a good laugh to write an article about these crazy guys…

Redsilkphoenix: Jetpack Vixen, Intergalactic Meanie
Redsilkphoenix: Jetpack Vixen, Intergalactic Meanie

Semi-OT:

Since it was revealed in the last open thread that a fair chunk of posters like pits, here’s a 9-minute cartoon that stars one. And a kitten, too.

It’s been out since January of this year, and it’s been getting good reviews.

otrame
otrame
1 year ago

My eldest worked as a vet tech for quite a few years (these days he’s a chef). He said he saw it over and over again. Middle aged men and tiny dogs.

We tend to think of women being the tiny dog fans, but the truth is that many men like the little guys as much as women supposedly do. In my experience, it isn’t a matter of women or men, but whether you like big or little dogs. There is a woman who comes to the dog park we go to. She has two huskies, an Irish setter and a golden retriever. She has complete voice control over all of them, (except the the retriever, who is still quite young) even in the excitement of going to the park. I had big dogs most of my life, but I am getting pretty old these days, so I have three dogs and the largest weighs 15 pounds. He is 20 years old this month. He still enjoys life a great deal, though he is nearly blind and his heart is in the process of failing. I am going to miss him a great deal when the time come.

epronovost
epronovost
1 year ago

To be fair that dude isn’t wrong. Dogs, no matter their size, need to be trained and exercised daily. Yes, idealy, they should “earn” their food by training, doing tricks or through games. It’s both healthy for dogs, allow for portion control and makes them more obediant and respectful. Having a little dog should not mean you can be more tolerant toward agressive, fearful or territorial behaviors. A dog owner should provide his or her animal with what it needs and in the case of dogs, it’s proper socialisation, intellectual challenges and regular exercise.

Diego Duarte
Diego Duarte

@eprovonost

I do find that dogs who are spoiled tend to be territorial, possessive and aggressive. It just so happens that tiny dogs are cuter and so they get a lot more slack than their bigger counterparts. Since they are almost harmless, a lot of their aggressive behavior isn’t properly dealt with and is instead normalized because they look “cute” even when they are angry.

Big Titty Demon
Big Titty Demon

@Redsilkphoenix

Aww. *heart melts* That was the origin of my pittie, sans cute kit. She was too gentle for fighting rings and was left to die. I wouldn’t expect Disney cartoons to address that tbh. Huh.

galanx
galanx
1 year ago

Remember when that Christian right-winger and professed child psychologist James Dobson described how he had to give his dachshund a prolonged beating with a belt, and advised people to do the same with their child, to ensure they followed godly ways?

Battering Lamb
Battering Lamb
1 year ago

This, though personally I’ve always preferred larger dogs (boxers and rottweilers especially). The biggest biters are usually of the small/cute variety, wereas the ones who will really hurt you if they bite are generally (not always) trained better.

Redpilldouche is close to sensible, though. Dogs do need a hierarchy and strict rules and boundaries. A lot of problem behaviour comes from a dog testing unclear boundaries. They consider their owners their pack as opposed to their masters, and in most cases giving them treats is a bad idea (it teaches them to beg, and then you get problems with drooling with dogs like boxers and St. Bernards).

Dog still needs affection, though. Don’t do it when they just did something bad, but don’t withhold it as a reward either.

Final rule: All dogs are puppies. No exception. There are few things more adorable than an old dog in an enthousiastic playful mood.

Naglfar
Naglfar

@galanx

This seems to be a relatively common thing, that fake psychologists observe an animal (dogs, lobsters, etc) and asume that you can apply something they think they see in it to humans. Of course, I disapprove of beating dogs for the same reason I disapprove of beating children.

Reminds me of Jordan and his lobsters (while meanwhile actual lobster experts say he’s wrong about lobsters as well).

Gem
Gem
1 year ago

My stepfather worked as a dog trainer for several years. He taught me a lot of things about them, including that you really do need to show them that you’re the one in charge, given that they’re pack animals and respect hierarchies. But this chucklefuck gets literally everything else wrong about them, including just how you go about being the one in charge.

Dvärghundspossen
Dvärghundspossen

STEPPING UP ON MY DOGGIE SOAPBOX:

Dogs don’t become aggressive because they’re spoilt, that’s bullshit.

Aggressive behaviour is for protecting your resources against competition, or scaring off threats against your own person (obvs the competition or threats might not be actual, but merely perceived, in an insecure animal). That’s the function of aggressiveness in animals. The function of aggressiveness is NOT to mess with humans for shits and giggles.
Sure, this isn’t a completely training-independent thing, because nervous dogs can be made to feel more secure through training, and when more secure less prone to aggressive behaviours (even though research in etology shows that fearfulness in dogs has a large genetic component, so one shouldn’t expect miracles). But the problem isn’t too little DISCIPLINE.

Now, with little dogs, it’s more common that they’re loud and quick to bark and make noise (which can be explained in part by the historical function of many small dog breeds as living burglar alarms), but it’s also more common (and this should not come as a surprise) for tiny dogs to feel threatened a lot. When a big dog meets a small dog, the situation is naturally more threatening for the little dog. Small dogs are also more often harrassed by people, like petted and cuddled and carried around against their will, which can be scary (imagine yourself having way, way bigger beings doing that to you all the time, not respecing your boundaries…. oh).
Big dogs not bred for any particular kind of work (i.e., the vast majority of dogs in our modern times) can also have pretty crappy temperaments, but when they’re scared, many big dogs are more prone to “freezing” and going passive than actually acting out (and a lot of the time, people don’t even notice that a dog is scared if they react with “freeze” and passivity). A big dog who really acts out is more likely to be put down and not pass on his genes.

But it’s really bullshit that spoilt dogs with no training would become aggressive just because; just because they like messing with people or something. People who actually deal with dogs that need to be rehomed because their previous human died and stuff like that (I have one such dog at home) meet many dogs who just didn’t get any particular training, but still had tons of love and companionship. The normal end result of no training but lots of love is simply a dog who doesn’t know any commands, but is still nice and friendly.
A friend of mine who used to be an army dog trainer (but has later distanced herself from the harsh methods used by army trainers) and has rehomed a whole bunch of “hopeless problem dogs” said that really, the dogs who are most difficult to rehabilitate are dogs that have been trained to obey with harsh methods, ending up scared of people because of the punishments they’ve had to endure; either just plain scared, or aggressive because they think they must defend themselves all the time. Untrained dogs who are still used to love and kindness are WAY easier: you just have to teach them various useful commands like you’d do with a puppy.

Lots of dogs are treated badly, though. Going to the US, it seems completely accepted to lock up a dog alone in a crate for most of the day. This is TERRIBLE for a dog, since dogs are pack/family animals, and even if they’re trained to tolerate some alone time, they shouldn’t be left alone for more than 4-6 hours a day at the most. And NO ONE likes being locked up for most of the day!
If a dog lives like that, she isn’t spoilt, but has a pretty terrible dog-life, even if the humans always speak to her in a silly baby voice when they get back home in the evening, buy her cute costumes for Halloween and what-not.

Just as humans, different individuals “tolerate” harsh circumstances more or less well, but it’s not WEIRD if the dog starts acting out in various ways once let out of the cage and allowed some human companionship in the evening, if they live like that.
It’s also really common for families with children to allow their kids to harrass their dog all day long, and to have zero respect for the dog’s boundaries. Once again, if the dog eventually acts out, the explanation isn’t “not enough discipline”.

All that stuff you hear about how dogs need so much discipline because they consider humans their pack leaders and they’re just like wolves and yada yada is either based on outdated and later debunked wolf science, or it’s just pseudo-science from start to finish. People adhering to these theories can still be very good at getting dogs to obey, but that doesn’t mean their explanations are correct.

DOWN FROM THE SOAPBOX!

C.A.Collins
C.A.Collins
1 year ago

Dogs, large and small, need training, exercise, and affection. My big guys, (see avatar) sleep on the bed with me in cold weather. Hasn’t made them agressive, or dominant to me, and does keep my feet warm.
I’ve had one dog who wasn’t trustworthy with strangers, and that was because something had made her incredibly distrustful of men. Let’s hear it for dogs who have been loved rather than dominated.

Fetch
Fetch
1 year ago

My parents had Dobson’s books on the shelves, and encouraged me to read them.

In totally unconnected news, I don’t talk to my parents.

It really is the same attitude as this guy towards the dogs. You, straight white male patriarch, are the authority over your household. Defiance of you is defiance of God and Nature, and any behaviour you don’t like is defiance. Children – and dogs – don’t act from distress or need or boredom. They do not have legitimate desires of their own, except for the desire to defy you, which is the root of sin and must be beaten out of them.

For their own good, you understand. It would be cruel to let a Pomeranian think it existed outside of your gracious permission. That would make for a dirty, sinful Pomeranian. Don’t you want your dog to go to Heaven?

Battering Lamb
Battering Lamb
1 year ago

Fair points, especially this last bit. But I feel discipline on part of the dog owner should not be understated though. With discipline, I mean being consistent in your behaviour, not punishment (in my native language discipline isn’t used as often in the ‘to discipline’-sense). If you don’t want a dog to sit on the couch when it’s got muddy paws, you should never have it sit on the couch (or always clean it’s paws when it comes back inside). It’s not a little human that you can explain why sometimes it is allowed and sometimes not.
Also, punishing a dog for something it did a while back is just really stupid. Poor thing doesn’t have a clue why it’s punished. It will just be confused and afraid because of the anger directed at it.

But yeah, the fear responses make sense. I did mean pack in the family sense, btw.

Unrelated but I also find it interesting that dogs do seem to realise something is up when words used to express anger with it are expressed in a soothing friendly way. People often think you can say whatever because the dog interprets the tone, but they do express hesitation and pick up the disconnect there. So you know, don’t do that. Gaslighting your dog isn’t cool.

Dvärghundspossen
Dvärghundspossen
1 year ago

Okay, even though I stepped down from the soapbox, I’m gonna give a little more elaboration and personal experience…

I’ve had a number of dogs, most (though not all, I have an English Setter now and had a German Shepherd dog from army/police bloodlines earlier) of the small variety.
One of my previous small dogs had some psychological issues, he was easily-scared and nervous, tended to go aggressive when he was scared, and could often act in “irrational” ways when he got himself worked up (like, irrational given what seemed to be his preferences and goals at the moment, if you get what I mean).

A decade ago, I was totally on the whole discipline-train, and used to train my dogs with a very experienced trainer of army and guard dogs. Funnily enough, I was a vegan already, but I had bought into the whole shtick that a shitload of “discipline” is for the dog’s own good. And I DID get results! Even Neurotic Dog had a much better outward behaviour when subjected to this obedience training, and I got so much praise from other people for my well-behaved little dogs.

In the end, though, I don’t think it’s a great accomplishment to make a nervous individual superficially “behave” out of fear of punishment. (I’m not talking physical abuse here, unless you count hard quick yanks at the leash when wearing an iron chain collar, which maybe we SHOULD count. But even if something isn’t that physically harmful in itself, it can be tough receiving it as punishment. Like, it would make one hell of a difference to a child if she hit her face on a bush while running around playing with her friends, or if she was slapped in the face by her mum for breaking some rule.)
We completely changed our ways with the dogs later on. With Neurotic Dog, we tried not to demand too much from him in the first place, and work AROUND tricky issues. Shower him with love. (AND exercise and FUN training of course!)

But yeah, I think dogs overall need a shitload more EMPATHY. Which they might very well not get, even if mum/dad always goes on about how cute they are in a baby voice, and even if they’re considered “spoiled” by other people.

Dvärghundspossen
Dvärghundspossen
1 year ago

That’s not really true, though. Sure, if you suddenly get ANGRY at your dog for going up in the couch when his paws are muddy, even though he can usually be there, that’s gonna freak him out. But you can totally tell a dog to wait by the door until his paws are clean, that one time his paws were muddy, or if he starts running in before you had time to say “wait” you can call for him to come back instead… that’s how we do it, all the time. We have almost no consistent rules, everything is just case by case, and it works fine.

Furthermore, research on how dogs learn words (although lots of people knew this already) shows that they can learn a lot, body language of course but actual spoken words too, just by being around their humans a lot and being talked to.

1 year ago

Our best friend died in a car wreck a little over a year ago, but we took in her elderly white Alsatian….sweet sweet loving addition to our cat-centric household….but….and all apologies offered…and I never seem to catch an open thread when it’s active….and I’ve been biting my tongue waiting for the right moment to speak up, but I love you all and I have something I wanna wanna share! So please forgive me.

First off….Most of you are like, Singerdog? OK, I’ve posted on occasion, but I rarely catch the convo when it’s active, so mostly I lurk….

Anyway! At the ripe age of 53, after 50 odd years of confusion and pretending and mastering how to be male in America, I figured out that I’m female.

That, in itself, was amazingly freeing….Every move I made for years, every time I spoke(especially to a male), was controlled by me to appear masculine….this was even as I spent my life as a (relatively) feminine guy…..Now! I don’t have to “walk like a man, talk like a man”

Best part….lovely wife of 19 years is fully behind me…FB friends from the past are with me…spoke to my Dad last week, and he told me he always knew there was something to me that was hidden…and he’s with me…I was terrified to talk to him…lol, I came out on FB late July, but didn’t have the guts to call him till last week.

I feel I should break this into 2 posts….and my apologies to all, but I have more..lol!

Part two!
I has been an amazing few months…

I haven’t truly come out as trans at work yet, except to a few…not sure why that is a sticking point for me. I work for RiteAid, and it does worry me that some of my customers may be confused, offended, angry, etc…

I’m still working out finding a doctor to prescribe the HRT….I’m new to this, but working it out, and hopefully soon my body will start looking a little more like what I see in my mind….

Got my ears pierced today the old-fashioned way–by a 20yr old with a piercing gun at the mall..lol. Growing my hair out….looking forward to the future!

Apolgies again, and thank you all for being who you are!

Maryland (formerly Sean) aka Singerdog

1 year ago

One last post, now that I got THAT out of my system…there are some amazing thoughts on dog behavior, and dog/people behavior here. Some I agree with, some I don’t, and some that really make me think.

I’m a cat person, and I grew up in a mostly cat family, but with many dogs. As you generally don’t train a cat, neither did the dogs get much training….the ‘smartest’ dogs grew into “wonderful” dogs…the the others…not so much. Obviously not their fault, but it reinforced me as a cat-person, and prejudiced me against most dogs.

Might be time to mention…”Singerdog” is from a wolf I raised…sweet loving caring dog(please do not take this as condoning wolves as pets…I had a great experience…it doesn’t usually work out that way for wolf or human)…. She was not named for her song, but for the sewing machine sound she mad as a pup…”rrraaarraaarraaarraaa)!

1 year ago

Yea…I honestly don’t think we’ll get another dog after our old lady dies, unless wife and I carefully read everything written above!

That said…I have never been comfortable with the concept: you must dominate! Guess I’m better off with cats.

Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
1 year ago

off-topic, I need some help! I saw a headline for a report purportedly showing the Turkish army bombing Kurdistan, but now I’m being told the footage is actually from Kentucky….

THIS IS THE LOST FOOTAGE OF THE BOWLING GREEN MASSACRE, STOLEN AND HIDDEN BY THE (((DEEP STATE)))!!!

now I can’t find the article anymore….

anyone else seen it???

I think my paranoia is acting up again….

1 year ago

Eddie….not sure what video you saw, but my eyes were opened by the video of that poor kid in his Charger backing up after people flew through the air at his car in Charlottesville…

1 year ago

I;m sorry….even though I made the joke, I can’t get the image out of my head….it was meant to be a joke about manipulated video, but Charlottesville is not ..no…I am so sorry… David, you can delete that….I am so so sorry…

LaMaria
LaMaria
1 year ago

Congratulations, Singerdog, both on finding your true self and on having loving, accepting people around you!

1 year ago

La Maria, my wife saved me first 19 years ago, as I was struggling to escape a terribly toxic marriage…and, with her support, we were ready to face this alone. The support has been wonderful! And those who might have problems? They have silently unfriended me on FB(i think 3 did), or are keeping it to themselves.

Dvärghundspossen
Dvärghundspossen
1 year ago

Congrats on coming out, Singerdog! Wish you all the luck!

Naglfar
Naglfar

@Singerdog
Congratulations on figuring out your identity. May you have good luck with the rest of your transition and with your life.

I’m still figuring out my gender, and I’m so happy for you that you’ve found yours.

Redsilkphoenix: Jetpack Vixen, Intergalactic Meanie
Redsilkphoenix: Jetpack Vixen, Intergalactic Meanie

@Big Titty Demon,

Technically Kitbull is a Pixar film, since it was made under their SparksShorts program (basically them giving certain employees a limited budget and a set time frame to make whatever story they so desire to find new storytelling talent). From what I’ve read online, the genesis for the short was cat videos, and things went from there. Not sure where the pit came from; I haven’t yet watched the ‘Making of…’ video, so it could be explained there.

But while we’re discussing dogs and their actual needs, a book/movie question. Has anyone here read/seen Life with Marley, about a couple living with a ‘difficult’ dog? I haven’t, but I’ve read some criticism (from dog trainers) to the effect that a lot of Marley’s problems could have been avoided – or at least alleviated – if his owner had taken time to give him some basic training in what was expected of him. I was wondering if that was a fair critique of the story or not. Anyone know?

1 year ago

@Naglfar I spent most of my life feeling I was my own unique gender, and I guess that’s all we truly are. What has freed me, is less that I found my gender, but more that I am free of pretending that I am a certain gender. And if your gender is hard to pin down, well, maybe it shouldn’t be pinned…let it float… It will land somewhere, and when it does, it does.

Katamount
1 year ago

…could be the low resolution of the image, but I’m pretty sure the third guy from the top is playing with a kitten rather than a puppy.

Not complaining, cats on leashes are adorable:

comment image

Voted on Monday in the Canuckian general. Pleasant experience, was in and out in a jiff. Voted strategically as I am wont to do: a popular Liberal incumbent in a riding (Don Valley West) with far too much Tory wealth to risk splitting the left vote.

Gonna try and find the local NDP Dem Socialist caucus. It needs traction around here.

Diego Duarte
Diego Duarte

@Singerdog

Congrats on coming out! I’m happy for you and hoping you stay safe! Please be sure to keep good company and emotional support in case you need it. There are assholes out there.

@Dvärghundspossen

Soooo what you are saying is that yip-demons are more likely to suffer from bagel-man-syndrome, and are more prone to biting because they feel threatened by big creatures? I guess that could make sense. I still resent them for biting me over their own perceptions, though.

Diego Duarte
Diego Duarte
1 year ago

Bit of an off-topic, but can I get some background on Canadian politics at the moment? I was under the impression that conservatives didn’t really stand a chance ever since Trudeau was first elected. I was also under the impression he’s a bit of a hypocritical liberal, who is in favor of tar sands and selling weapons to Saudi Arabia, but I haven’t read much about Canadian politics.

Last I remember Canadian politics reaching this far south was when you had a major who routinely did crack and kept on getting into scandals.

Katamount

@Diego Duarte

That was the case last year. This year, however, brought us the magic of…

*DUN DUN DUN*

ESS-ENN-SEE-LAVALIN! *thunderclap*

…which was overblown by Canada’s media and milked by Trudeau’s opposition for two months in February and March, which was just enough to take the sheen off him and bring the Tories up.

Blackface didn’t help him.

If I might take a moment to sound off on how much I loathe the framing of Canada’s political debate, one of the more alienating things (at least to me, though I doubt I’m alone) is how it’s carried out as a bunch of tax gimmicks and piecemeal programs rather than any overarching vision of what they look at for Canada, particularly on the part of the ostensibly “left-wing” parties. Tax credits here. Rebates there. There’s never any coherence to any of them and they seem like measures meant to placate people in lieu of actually standing and fighting for something. The Wynne Liberals in Ontario did this as well, as did Horvath’s NDP.

Cripes, have some principles and freakin’ articulate them, guys. Enough with the goodie-bag concept of campaigning.

Moon Custafer

@Singerdog:

Congratulations, and let the genders fall where they may!

Tovius

RE: Cats on Leashes

Allow me to contribute

Dormousing_it
Dormousing_it
1 year ago

Well, raising dogs seems to be fairly complicated, based on everyone’s posts. Then again, I’ve been a lifetime cat person. Like Singerdog, I have a problem with the idea that you’ve got to dominate the dog.

Years ago, I took care of a relative’s Yorkie in an emergency situation. For two weeks. I really didn’t enjoy being around this dog, but I tried to play with him, and give him affection and attention. He was just too hyper and yappy for my taste.

He ate cooked white rice mixed with lamb baby food, plus a vitamin supplement, because he had so many food allergies and intolerances.

I had 3 cats at the time. One cat hated the Yorkie, and would corner him, then swipe at him, and make threatening noises. She never laid a paw on him, though.

Ledasmom
Ledasmom

@Singerdog, congratulations!
Dogs do need a certain amount of training – not the same as discipline – to move comfortably and calmly through the world. Where I work we see plenty of small dogs whose owners haven’t bothered to work with them at all, and they can be the worst, most miserable little shits to do anything with.

Diego Duarte
Diego Duarte

@Dormousing it

Agreed, I’m also not a dog person, though I’ve had both cats and dogs. Dogs seem to be too energetic and high maintenance. Sure it’s nice to play with them, but they’ll wear you out soon enough. I’d rather not take responsibility for another living creature that is going to be dependent on me not fucking up and/or failing to meet its physical and emotional needs.

Funny you should mention that, my sister has a pittie that is beyond rambunctious and always getting into trouble, yet he has the most sensitive stomach ever.

Last xmas he kept harassing me to give him some mildly spiced turkey and then we had to immediately haul ass to the veterinarian because he started vomiting blood.

Apparently he can’t handle spices of any kind.

Did that stop him from harassing me for turkey every other day after? Nope.

EDIT: I dunno how to attach images, sorry guys.

Katamount

@Tovius

Awws, kitteh in the hoodeh! 😀

As for dogs, frankly I have no idea how people keep big dogs in cities. But for the love of Pete, if you’re gonna keep them, please train them. Lookin’ your way, Maryland Uncle’s family….

Seriously, they have these two gigantic retrievers that are so poorly behaved that they will not hesitate to go for any food that is nearby. I made the mistake of putting down grocery bags in the front hall… thankfully I pulled it away in time before stuff went everywhere.

ByeBob
ByeBob

@ Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie

now I can’t find the article anymore….

I know the exact story you refer to. I spend way too much time reading all the rational news I can. (NYT, AP, WaPo, Reuters, and CNN for the fun bits).

Edit: You’re not paranoid, at least in this instance 😉

Link broken: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/14/business/media/turkey-syria-kentucky-gun-range.html

Lainy
Lainy
1 year ago

My cousin dog got kicked out of obedience school because he bite the trainer. He didn’t break the skin or anything. He just nipped at him because he’s a very anxious boi and has terrible separation anxiety when his day to day life gets disrupted. After that he got put on some anti anxiety medication and he’s doing better.