antifeminism entitled babies men who should not ever be with women ever MGTOW misogyny the c-word

MGTOWs, confounded by lady humor, lose it over a joke headline from Reductress

What is this thing you call … “humor?”

By David Futrelle

Reductress, if you don’t already know, is kind of a feminist Onion, poking gentle fun at women’s magazines, clickbaity “inspirational” web sites aimed at women, and the feminism-ultra-lite that permeates women’s media generally. Gleefully absurdist, its headlines (and the news stories that accompany them) are easily spotted as the parodies they are.

These are the sorts of headlines you’ll find there on any given day:

So yeah, pretty obviously NOT REAL HEADLINES.

At least obvious to most people. Not so much when the people in question are proud Men Going Their Own Way and the headline involves vaginas. Last year, you see, Reductress posted a fake story titled “Wow! This Woman Stood Up to Gender Norms By Naming Her Son ‘Vagina,’” and MGTOWs lost their shit.

The mod of one MGTOW page on Facebook posted this a couple of months ago, with the lovely caption “C*NT…feminists HATE MEN. #MGTOW”

Naturally, other dudes chimed in with their similarly furious takes on this terrible injustice to the poor (imaginary ) child and men in general.

Donald White Assuming that she's an "Empowered" single mom. Where the hell is this poor kid's father? And why didn't he get a say in naming the kid? Rediculous. This "mother" is, imho, abusing this poor child and subjecting him to a (likely short) life of pain, humiliation, and harrassment. 1 Manage LikeShow more reactions · Reply · 10w Jonathan Hill Jonathan Hill He probably doesn't even know about the poor kid. He probably had a one night stand with her. Manage Like · Reply · 10w David Lopes David Lopes Yes that is abuse, but because it's so left an openmindet to break societyboundaries ist acceptet. that is the kind of double moral i love. because i also see so many parallels to germany an italy in the 20's & 30's no kidding.

Now there were a few commenters wise enough to realize that the headline was probably a joke; several even pointed out that Reductress is a satire site. But that didn’t stop the assembled angry dudes from raging, and raging, and raging some more.

Thomas Walsh That's bullying in the making ! 1 Manage LikeShow more reactions · Reply · 10w Charles Shelton Charles Shelton Kid’s gonna grow up to be a douchebag, you just watch. Manage LikeShow more reactions · Reply · 10w Arlyn S Adinolfi Arlyn S Adinolfi You must be kidding. 1 Manage LikeShow more reactions · Reply · 10w Jay D Williams Jay D Williams Child abuse 1 Manage LikeShow more reactions · Reply · 10w Jirka Fischer Otoupal Jirka Fischer Otoupal Sperm banks should be illegal Manage LikeShow more reactions · Reply · 10w Marc Phillip Marc Phillip Future school shooter

Robert Czikall Men seriously need to stop giving Women children.

Nicholas Jason This is from a satire website. http://reductress.com/ Manage LikeShow more reactions · Reply · 10w David Lopes David Lopes That should be illegal, give the boy to the father and teach him to be a boy for fuck sake. what is wrong with people an their ideas? They don't care the child in this case is just a tool for Mummy to show how liberal and new and feminin she is. That's boy future is fucked harder than Berlin in 1945. 1 Manage LikeShow more reactions · Reply · 5w Benjamin Shiels Benjamin Shiels Must b a dog cause only a BITCH would do that! 1 Manage LikeShow more reactions · Reply · 10w Steve Butler Steve Butler Well then if I have a girl I'll call her dumb cunt just to be progressive

Sean Douglas God I really hate women 1 Manage LikeShow more reactions · Reply · 10w Enrique M Sanchez Enrique M Sanchez Fucked up bitch she is a low life 1 Manage LikeShow more reactions · Reply · 10w Manuel Kauschi Manuel Kauschi Now he is a pussy for life. Well done whore. Well done.

These aren’t cherry-picked comments; these are almost all of the comments in the thread, minus a handful that were boring or redundant.

Antifeminsits love to mock feminists as easily outraged, humorless “snowflakes.” But, seriously, hell hath no fury like a MGTOW who doesn’t get the joke. And they never get the joke.

tim gueguen

To be fair there are people who give their kids really odd names. You can find some real winners on The Utah Baby Namer, such as a girl name VulvaMae. But the other material on Reductress should make it obvious the site is a parody.

Hippielady
Hippielady

I rolled my eyes so hard they’re stuck. O.o

Mexican Hot Chocolate
Mexican Hot Chocolate

The WHOOSHING sound is the joke going over their collective heads.

Moggie
Moggie

I suppose it shouldn’t be surprising if people with extreme views have difficulty recognising satire. If, for example, you believe that all women are subhuman, you clearly have trouble telling the difference between fact and fiction, so satire is going to be a minefield for you.

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation

Hadn’t heard of this site before. Thanks miggytoes!

I particularly liked this article, which relates strongly to what we discuss here:

Tabby Lavalamp
Tabby Lavalamp

Men just don’t understand humour, I guess.

KindaSortaHarmless
KindaSortaHarmless

@Tabby Lavalamp

That’s why we think women aren’t funny and we are.

@David

Thanks for introducing me to Reductress!

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

I hadn’t planned on having children, but now I think I should. If it’s a boy, BetaMangina, if it’s a girl, Misandrica.

Moggie
Moggie

Or just Andrica. Ms. Andrica.

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

Men just aren’t funny.

PeeVee the Tired
PeeVee the Tired

“It’s a satirical site. This isn’t actually true.”

“STILL, women are blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.”

CarrieV
CarrieV

A few years ago I (and a bunch of others) encountered a real specimen at Reductress’s story, “I’m a Feminist Because I Fart on Dicks in the Club” {reductress.com/post/im-a-feminist-because-i-fart-on-dicks-in-the-club/}.

I believe his name was Jason, and he did all the MGTOW moves: Strawmwen, Sealioning, WhatAboutisms, demands to provide him copious, peer-reviewed studies as “proof” that women are (or ever have been) treated less well than men, and so on.

OMFG, I generally know when to chuckle at a chucklehead and call it a night, but that guy was like the worst chigger stuck in my sock. I couldn’t stop responding until he understood… Spoiler Alert: he never understood.

epitome of incomprehensibility

The water one also made me laugh. And this – the pacing and tone were spot-on – http://reductress.com/post/woops-this-black-woman-mentioned-edge-control-and-now-her-white-friends-think-shes-into-freaky-sex/

About that “Manicures” headline – I guess “handy” is short for hand job, but I haven’t seen it written like that before. In Germany (according to someone I know), “handy” is slang for a cell phone, so… some potential for awkward mistranslation? 😛

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ epitome

some potential for awkward mistranslation?

Over here ‘shiner’ is a, rather old, term for a black eye. It’s also youth slang for blow job. That did lead to some amusing confusion in a trial resulting in the judge asking a witness “Are you claiming your girlfriend hit you?”

kupo
kupo

@Alan, epitome
I had no idea ‘hummer’ meant anything other than an off-road vehicle until well into adulthood.

Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy
Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

@Victorious Parasol,

I hope you’re still reading – I’ve been wanting to catch you! My Barbara Hambly books finally arrived! I looked everywhere for them and finally had to get them from Amazon (had a nice long convo with the delivery guy about Amazon working conditions).
I got the first James Asher one (secondhand, hardback), and the first Benjamin January one.
Thanks for recommending Hambly – it was ages ago, so you may have forgotten 🙂

Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy
Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

Oops, sorry everyone for extremely OT post!
Reductress is fab and I can’t believe I didn’t know about it. Miggies are silly.
Also, imagine if the story was that a woman had named her baby girl Vagina. I bet the migs would either not care at all, or think it was hilarious.

Hypatia's Daughter
Hypatia's Daughter

Would they be O.K. if she named him Dick?
Wait, there’s something not quite right about that……..

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

@Mish

Oh, cool! What do you think of James Asher?

To stay on topic here, yeah, there’s a surplus of fragile feelings on the MGTOW side. But of course, since it’s THEIR feelings, it’s a DIFFERENT kind of special.

Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy
Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

@VP,

I’ve been trying so hard not to start reading yet (still in exam marking period) – but I caved this morning and read the first few pages. Bad move because now I just want to binge on the whole thing! I don’t know if I would have come across her on my own, so I’m in your debt 🙂

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

@Mish

Oh, that’s great. 🙂 I love introducing people to my favorite writers.

Katiekitten420
Katiekitten420

Hey Mish and Parasol, if you guys are into fantasy books I have been rereading a lot of them plus my new ones that are always arriving from Amazon because I preorder all my faves. I love turning people onto new books so here’s a list of 10 books that I think all fantasy fans should read I’m going to skip Game of Thrones cuz everyone who wants to read it has LOL.

I’m going to go with some really well-known ones and some that have really strong niche followings but are overall underrated in my opinion and deserve more readers. If anyone has read any of the books I list I’d love it if they gave their opinion on any of them.

1 Name of the Wind and sequels by Patrick Rothfuss. 2 The Lies of Locke Lamora and the following books in the series by Scott Lynch. CS Friedman either the Coldfire trilogy if you want a male protagonist, or the Magister Trilogy if you want a female protagonist. 4 the Kushiel Saga, two trilogies by Jacqueline Carey. 5 The Stormlight Archive Saga by Brandon Sanderson. His other stuff is good too but this series is by far his best work by leaps and bounds. 6 Red Rising Trilogy by Pierce Brown. This is in the dystopian style popularized by The Hunger Games, but it utterly transcends it. This is the best young adult trilogy I’ve read in years. 7 The Black Jewels trilogy by Anne Bishop. 8 The Fifth Season trilogy by NK Jemisin. It truly deserves all the hype in my opinion. The Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks. 10 The Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold. Honorable mention to Marion Zimmer Bradley with Mists of Avalon which most people here have probably read but a lot of people who read that have not read her Darkover books which are really good too. Also the Emperor’s Blades Trilogy by Brian Staveley. Okay I’m going to sleep have a great weekend all

Hippodameia
Hippodameia

Thirding the love for Barbara Hambly – she’s a fantastic writer.

The Adjunct
The Adjunct

[Cn: mention of rape]

@Katiekitten420

I’ve read some of the entries on your list (thank you for sharing! 😄), I must agree wholeheartedly with a few… everything written by NK Jemisin is a must read, i really loved “The Coldfire Trilogy”. I also really liked the Kushiels Dart series, fyi i think she has a third trilogy too! I like the Stormlight series enough to keep reading it, I really enjoy everything I’ve read of Sanderson’s, I particularly liked his spin on the superhero genre, The Reckoners series.

This is not meant as an attack on you at all, but I’ve seen the Patrick Rothfuss books come up on so many people’s Best Of fantasy lists and I’m just.. why? It was enjoyable at first but it just got so incredibly tedious for me. The main character just got more and more unlikable as the story went on, and he just ended up coming across as a very overconfident Nice Guy. For example:

At one point in the second novel, the main character goes on a pointless side quest to rescue some damsels in distress from a group of men who were planning on raping them…

Somehow he single handedly rescued these damsels and as he’s literally riding off into the sunset with them, one of them says that as a result of being kidnapped and almost raped by these dudes, that she now distrusts men. To which the main character replies,

“Not ALL men!”

I just about threw the book across the room. It’s been several years since I read the book, so I might not have the details right, but he definitely said Notallmen. My hero /s

In the last couple years, I’ve made a point to avoid books written by (white) men, because for the most part, male authors either do not write female or NB main characters at all, or they do so so poorly I’m instantly taken out of the fantasy. I like feeling represented in the scifi and fantasy I read, and I’ve really fallen in love with works by Kameron Hurley, Nnedi Okorafor, NK Jemisin, Tomi Adeyemi, Octavia Butler, RF Kuang, Ursula K LeGuin.

I cannot recommend Kameron Hurley enough. She writes more sci-fi, but her Mirror Empire series is fantasy and its super dark and so so so good. Her standalone novel, The Stars Are Legion, is a total reinvention of the space opera plus a combination of body horror and mystery thriller. I’m currently reading the Bel Dame Apocrypha, which she describes as “bugpunk”. Love!

If anyone has any women/queer/NB etc recs for scifi/fantasy I’d love to know 🙂 sorry for the wall of text…

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

@The Adjunct

Have you read any Martha Wells? For fantasy, try her Death of the Necromancer, or her Raksura stories. For SF, try her Murderbot novellas – two are out, and two more will be released this year. City of Bones is a sort of mix: the novel is post-apocalyptic, but there’s an odd mix of fantasy and SF going on.

If you’re interested in gender presentation/dynamics, her Raksura stories and Murderbot novellas both include themes along those lines.

Headless Unicorn Guy
Headless Unicorn Guy

Problem is, to a True Believer, EVERYTHING is Axiom, Axiom, Axiom, FACT, FACT, FACT.

So yeah, pretty obviously NOT REAL HEADLINES.

Again, True Believers.
There can be no humor, only total, unsleeping, unsmiling dedication to The Cause.

Headless Unicorn Guy
Headless Unicorn Guy

There used to be a website called “Baby’s Got a Bad Bad Name” dedicated to exactly that subject.

The one I remember is the section “Big Chief Mucus Breath” about the fad for Native American names. Written by a Lakota who kept getting pestered by pregnant white co-workers for “Indian Names” because “Indians are soooo Spiritually Evolved”. Lakota obliged; there are now several Spiritually-Superior Indigo Children growing up whose names are Lakota cusswords.

Lumipuna (nee Arctic Ape)
Lumipuna (nee Arctic Ape)

I heard once there’s a US-born folklorist named Frog. He’s a white guy from Oregon and that’s his full legal name. He started school without a birth certificate, and the school authorities could only record his calling name, since apparently his hippie parents didn’t believe in surnames.

Over here, it shouldn’t be possible to give your child any really weird name or embarrassing, at least in theory. You have to either pick a name from an official list of conventional names, or your name suggestion needs to be approved by some clerk somewhere, or ultimately by a judge.

Bina

Well, at least the piece got one of them to admit that he really hates women. I guess that’s the first of the twelve steps to sobriety…

epitome of incomprehensibility

This is more magic realism than straight fantasy, but I really liked Fierce Femmes and Notorious Liars: A Dangerous Trans Girl’s Confabulous Memoir by Kai Cheng Thom. She’s an excellent storyteller. I’m a bit biased because she’s from my city, and the fantasy “City of Smoke and Lights” is kind of dreamworld-Montreal. I’m so happy I got to go to her book launch and hear her read. I was struggling with some “I’m shy and I don’t know anybody” thoughts, but I went anyway.

Half Life by Shelley Jackson is both sci-fi and self-consciously literary, which maybe people have mixed reactions to? I thought it was good, certainly interesting; my classmate LOVED it and called it a “queer Finnegans Wake” and I was thinking, “Wait, I’m the one that gets enthusiastic and compares weird things.”

epitome of incomprehensibility

@Lumipuma – Iceland? I was reading a non-fiction book by Daniel Tammet about languages and he had a chapter about the naming system in Iceland.

Katherine the Adequate
Katherine the Adequate

When anyone describes something as “rediculous”, you know not to expect a lot of enlightenment from said individual.

Katherine the Adequate
Katherine the Adequate

And thanks for introducing me to Reductress. It apparently has the added bonus of generating more humor when miggies see it.

Skylalalalalalala
Skylalalalalalala

I can’t believe no one has mentioned Mercedes Lackey for fantasy books. Not only does she write strong female characters, she also regularly has gay and lesbian characters, including a gay main character in a trilogy which was published in 1990.

I also like Anne McCaffrey, but most of her books are more sci fi than fantasy and she does have some problematic stuff, particularly in her earlier works, but she told great stories and was a major trailblazer for women in sci fi.

I can not in good conscience read anything written by that woman or ever give her estate money. She was a child abuser and child sexual abuser and many people have said once you know that about her, you can see it in her writing. https://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/jun/27/sff-community-marion-zimmer-bradley-daughter-accuses-abuse

This site has her excerpts from deposition in her second husband’s molestation trial. http://marionzimmerbradley.com/index.html

Lumipuna (nee Arctic Ape)
Lumipuna (nee Arctic Ape)

epitome – I’m in Finland and I’m only vaguely familiar with Icelandic naming conventions. I suspect many countries have stricter scrutiny than US in approving potentially awkward names for children.

zesty
zesty

Apparently, Iceland only allows certain names because of the grammar rules of the language. The name changes depending on tense and case. Foreign female names, for example, fit the grammar if they end in “a”, but often not if they don’t.

kupo
kupo

@Skylalalalalalala
I’m a huge Mercedes Lackey fan! Been meaning to re-read some of her books but I’m in a not-reading funk right now.

Contrapangloss
Contrapangloss

I love a lot of Mercedes Lackey’s stuff! She’s got a couple dedicated shelves on my bookcase.

Really, the only problem I’ve had is that she kind of swings from books that are pretty clearly for a younger crowd to TMI stuff with not much in the way of a middle ground.

Since I’m ace and in ‘Camp IDon’tWannaKnow” it can be a bit jarring. Then again, most ‘adult’ fiction leans heavy on the TMI, so I kind of sort of hang out in the ‘Young Adult’ corner of the local library…

I love her elemental master’s series, and I have a deep seated fondness for Bedlam’s Bard.

It may or may not be related to my primary instrument being flute.

Other Authors/Series that deserve love in the fantasy bent:

Patricia C. Wrede — Enchanted forest chronicles. Excellent dragons, cool witch, obnoxious wizards.

Dawn Cook — Truth Series (4 books, all good). I never really got into any of her other series, though.

And seconding the Lois McMaster Bujold rec on the vorskorgian saga, which is a bit more mature but good.

McCaffrey’s Pern stuff gets a little repetitive and some of her other stuff gets problematic, but I loved the first Acorna book.

I also liked “Clan of the Cave Bear” by Auel, despite a rather horrific section in the middle (content, not writing style). I really didn’t care much for the rest of the series, because WAY TO MUCH TMI once she brought in a secondary dude protagonist. Also, repeated descriptions of the same things that she’s already described, and Ayla literally invents ALL the things and… but the first book was good.

Katiekitten420
Katiekitten420

My mouth literally dropped open I have never ever heard anyone say they don’t like Patrick rothfuss books. I am literally stunned. I think you’re looking at the scene and interpreting it in the worst possible light I actually specifically went back and reread it because I have it on my Kindle app on my phone and yeah he tells two women both who have been horribly raped multiple times that they should not be terrified of all men for the rest of their lives. He says all men will not do that to you trying to calm them I honestly don’t see how that’s problematic. If you was just like oh yeah those were insane outliers and oh my God most of them are great people and stuff like that I’d be totally on your side. But he distinctly says a lot of men are assholes and dangerous but not all of them are so as to make them less scared if you remember one was traumatized to the point where they couldn’t eat or speak or anyting. I think trying to make her less scared is not a bad day even if it technically falls under Not all men I think the context just makes it perfectly acceptable. If you read it again and still feel the same will just agree to disagree not a big deal. I’m just so shocked because I know hundreds of people read those books and every single one like them some list some more but Everyone likes them. And okay yes Marion Zimmer Bradley incredibly problematic but I judge someone on all of their actions she also brought one of women into the fantasy sci-fi genres and mentored many many women and assorted other things that literally changed the landscape of sci-fi fantasy novels for women. Mercedes Lackey will say the same. She is said she has issues with her but the woman was also her teacher and somewhat of a mentor and she respects her for that. I respect her for her art and her talent and her holding female writers I load and I’m disgusted by her molestation. I feel like now that she’s at she’s not getting anything from reading her books anyway so isn’t it kind of a moot point?

Dalillama
Dalillama

@Lumipuna

I heard once there’s a US-born folklorist named Frog

Folklorist is one way to describe him, I suppose. He hawks jokebooks near the University of Oregon campus, and has done as long as I’ve new alive.

@Fantasy and scifi

I can’t get into Rothfuss, and can’t be arsed with Sanderson; the Steelheart books are decent, but not good enough to excite mw about another generic vaguely Anglo-Norman fantasy setting.

Nthing Bujold, besides Vorkosigan the Five Gods books are excellent fantasy, and the Sharing Knife is quite good as well. Also Wrede, Jemison, Okorafor, and Butler.

Not yet mentioned; Ann Leckie’s Imperial Radch books are the best space opera to come out in possibly ever. Tobias Buckell’s Caribbean Space Operas are also recommended, and his neocyberpunk stuff.

Amanda Downum’s Necromancer Chronicles (Not The Chronicles of the Necromancer, which didn’t do much for me) are good fantasy, with queer themes and a trans protagonist in one book. Max Gladstone’s Craft Sequence is a dystopian fantasy in a quite novel vein, also has very good handling of queer and trans characters.

Katiekitten420
Katiekitten420

Oh I just downloaded the Amanda Downum books. I’m glad to hear that they’re good cuz I just read the little blurbs I wasn’t actually purchasing them LOL I used a torrent so if they weren’t good I’m not losing anything.

I would agree with you with Sanderson up to The Stormlight Archive books. They are by far better than any of his other books like I don’t think it’s even comparable. And they are not set in a vaguely tweaked but obviously anglo-european setting. He learned to flush out his World building a whole lot more, there are many cultures, gods, different kinds of government, race and religion. And not just one dimensional little chapters either. The first book is slow but that’s because he needs to give a lot of information cuz it’s supposed to be A 10 book series.

He wants it to be essentially his magnum opus, a few of his friends/colleagues have said. I’m not sure if he said that himself cuz it would be a bit pretentious. But I really do I think The Stormlight Archive is worth a shot if you like fantasy. I wouldn’t claim that about any of his other works. Like mistborn for example it’s fine sure it’s adequate but I wouldn’t recommended particularly to anyone it would never be on a top 10 or even top hundred list for me. Anyway I’m babbling like I always do.

The thing I love about Rothfuss is his writing style, I find it very engaging and sometimes very amusing, and his way of slowly slowly ratcheting up the suspense and giving tiny bits of information at perfect points where it’s like blink and you’ll miss it. I’ve read both of them 3 times and I’ve noticed new things on each subsequent reading that I didn’t notice previously not trivial things either. All right, rant over😄 I hope everyone had a lovely Father’s Day.

epitome of incomprehensibility

@Lumipuna – Sorry! I’d just read that book chapter* about Icelandic naming conventions and I only remembered that you lived in a Scandinavian country. Of course many other countries than Iceland would have a government body approving names, since the name would have to be registered somewhere. I’m sure Canada does this too – I’m just ignorant in this regard.

@zesty – Yes, the nouns have declensions, so the ending of names would change depending on their grammatical function. (English names do this for possessive form – Bob, Bob’s).

*In Every Word Is a Bird We Teach to Sing: Encounters with the Mysteries and Meanings of Language by Daniel Tammet.

I need to visit the library before work so perhaps I’ll borrow Octavia Butler’s Parable of the Sower again. I didn’t finish it last time – true, I read kind of slowly – but also with global warming + Trump it wasn’t too hard to imagine North America slipping into that kind of chaos, so… not very escapist. I’m more into sci-fi than fantasy, but I’ll check out the book recs here too, thanks!

Pretty Pink Punanni Princess
Pretty Pink Punanni Princess

MGTOW.

Men’s Gargantuan Triggering Over Women.

Who?
Who?

Quite a few good bookrecomendations.
I will add Seanan McGuire/Mira Grant which can be a bit dark but are very rewarding. (Mira Grant is her penname for her horrorbooks)
And don’t forgot the standalones. The Goblin King rules.

About Sanderson it is very interesting how taste differ, because Steelhart is that from him, which I care last about.

And yes for Luis McMaster Bujold. I have not read much of the Vorkosian Saga but I love her World of the Five Gods.

Who?
Who?

And I should make clear that I typed rubish, I meanes The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison above.

EJ (The Other One)

I meanes The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison above.

Such a good book.

Headless Unicorn Guy
Headless Unicorn Guy

SF litfan oral history/urban legend:

Ursula LeGuin was said to have written her award-winning 1973 short “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas” as an allegorical commentary on the MZB sexual abuse/coverup in the SF author/litfan community:

Urban legend now and then says she couldn’t say it directly because of MZB’s clout.

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

So… they ain’t heard of Buttbart yet, I suppose.

Redsilkphoenix: Jetpack Vixen, FemiNest Collective agent, Hell Toupee keeper, & Intergalactic Meanie

I’m surprised that Katherine Kurtz’s Deryni books haven’t been mentioned yet. It’s set in an alternate Welsh kingdom, with a well-made magic system and with tons of intrigue to go around. The books are set at various points in a timeline, so the reader can get the ‘true story’ of something that’s only a legend in later books.

Seconding the C.S. Friedman recommendation, though I’ve only read In Conquest Born and The Wilding of hers. They’re SF, but the way she treats things like what the ‘default’ color of humanity is, is interesting.

Like, humans in this series are literally ALL colors of a rainbow. The Braxins (sp?) Empire is essentially Gor, but written as if real people wrote the social rules there. Their mortal enemies (whose name I’ll remember after the timer runs out) has a sexism-free society, but a massive racism problem. The Wilding, for lack of a better concise term, looks at both empires from the PoC / minority POV. It’s not as good as the first book, but it’s still a good read, imo.

C.J. Cherryh writes good books, though her protagonists tend to be male the vast majority of the time, though her women can be quite…forceful. Signy Mallory in Downbelow Station, Illisidi in the Foreigner books, and the original Arianne Embry from Cyteen are not women you want to treat as dumb, unless you REALLY don’t want to live for another five minutes.

I’ll recommend more writers / books as I rediscover them.

Katamount
Katamount

I’m actually convinced that reactionaries hate comedy. Just in general. Sure, they claim that they’re trying to mine new comedic ground when they make transphobic jokes (looking your way, Ricky Gervais), but the only people that really buy that are people that just find trans people icky or weird. And let’s be clear… history never remembers that shit kindly. The old vaudeville acts that played on racial stereotyping are not remembered as some kind of lost transgressive comic genius; they’re considered hideous and embarrassing relics of ignorance from a bygone time. Give it a half-century, Ricky, people will be looking at your stand-up material with the same bewilderment.

But let’s face it, defending the status quo does not good comedy make. You can see these guys try to overcompensate with absurdity and half-baked irony, but the deep-seated resentment is still pretty naked and open for all to see. This is why conservatives fail at comedy, as they’re telling the joke, they remember how much they hate the subject and just launch into a rant that reveals them as terrible people (Exhibit A: Steven Crowder).

That’s the other thing that doesn’t make for good comedy: contempt for the subject. It’s actually part of why I don’t find myself laughing at either John Oliver’s or Samantha Bee’s programs. Because I’m just left dismayed by what I see. Neither of them really have Jon Stewart’s capacity to focus upon absurdity and just revel in it. John Oliver’s essay style doesn’t permit that and Sam Bee just gets self-righteously angry and sprinkles the occasional self-depricating Photoshop in between rants. That said, neither are wrong to highlight the things that they do, but if they’re trying to do comedy shows, it doesn’t really leave me in stitches the way the old Daily Show did. Jon Stewart’s softball interview style left a lot to be desired, but when he needed to get serious, he left the bemused persona behind and addressed his audience directly. I can still remember the first show after the Charleston shooting, he looked straight in the camera and said “I’m a comedy writer and I couldn’t do my job today.” That still resonates with me in a way that a Sam Bee segment just hasn’t so far.

I will say this: it’s a huuuuge indictment of the 24hr cable channels that one can learn more from 30 minutes of Sam Bee than hours of their bullshit content.