Uncategorized

Doug Jones Victory Dog Dance Party! Open Thread for laughing at Roy Moore

What a huge fucking relief. Thank you, black voters of Alabama, for sending Roy Moore packing.

Screw you, Roy Moore, but not that poor horse you rode in on.

Why would you ride to the polls on a horse if you CAN’T FUCKING RIDE A HORSE PROPERLY TO SAVE YOUR LIFE YOU FAKE COWBOY ASSHOLE PREDATOR?

Here are some more Tweets and an open thread. CELEBRATE GOOD TIMES COME ON.

One more dancing dog because why not?

Skiriki
Skiriki

Fingers crossed that this will make it easier for people to VOTE, dangit, read way too many daft things about what had happened to those who tried and then got stuck in queue.

Like… JEEZ.

But! Good for Alabama and PoC who voted that stupid kiddy-fiddler out! Narrow margin, white folx, please go and study what was wrong with what you’ve done.

Gregory A Lynn

Glorious.

Absolutely glorious.

Did you see Moore’s speech? It was one of the most petulant, butt-hurt things I have ever seen.

BS and his 4 fluffy kitties
BS and his 4 fluffy kitties

Faith in humanity, restored…a little bit.

Gummo Trotsky
Gummo Trotsky

How Roy Moore sees himself:

How the rest of humanity sees Roy Moore:

Patty Thinkerer
Patty Thinkerer

Truly, this is a time for celebration! More dancing doggies, more, I say!

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

I’m not sure how to feel about that white women statistic.

On the one hand, the percentage (according to WaPo) that voted for Jones, at 30% is a big improvement over the 15% that voted for Obama. So that’s progress.

On the other hand, 65% of white women in Alabama are still voting for their white cishet supremacy over solidarity with their fellow women.

comment image

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Patty Thinkerer,

comment image

comment image

comment image

One of these days I’ll have to take a video of my dog dancing. If you scratch the place where her tail meets her back, she’ll twerk up against you. It’s hilarious.

Ichthyic
Ichthyic

Internalized misogyny is a helluva thing.

abars01
abars01

Folks, a thought just occurred to me… the results of the Virginia election, Alabama election and Australian gay marriage postal plebiscite appear to have been driven largely by increased turnout among liberal Millennials and POC, in turn attributable to the increased energization of these demographics in response to the growth of the far-right.

Do you think there’s a risk that, as the alt-right realizes that Trump and Brexit do not necessarily mean that victory is inevitable for them, and that the left is, in fact, still making gains, it might become energized itself? That turnout among conservatives might increase?

Moggie
Moggie

It was a bad night for cowboy cosplayers everywhere!

I’m relieved, but not jubilant. This should not have been fucking close! And those white voting figures remain horrifying. I’m sure one message the Republicans will take from this is: suppress the black vote more.

Nothing is Permanent But Woe
Nothing is Permanent But Woe

Great news on the Alabama election folks, and lovely to see you up and running, David, whatever form that takes at the moment!

The statistics themselves are fucking horrible, however. 74% of white men voting for a confirmed racist sex-offender because of their own racism, sexism, and fuck knows whatever else. I feel ashamed and a bit dirty, to be honest. Thanks to those white men for just confirming what the rest of the world already knew. Grim.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Nothing is Permanent But Woe,

Can I shorten your name to NIPBW or something?

Anyway, Alabama is a super red state. One of the most Republican in the country. After maybe Oklahoma? I’m not sure what the 2016 stats are, but in 2012 I remember reading that 90% of white voters voted for Romney. So, it is disappointing that so many white voters are overlooking or denying the child molesting, but not totally surprising. In a less red state, the race probably wouldn’t be close at all.

Makroth - cowboy Jacobin from Hell
Makroth - cowboy Jacobin from Hell

Horrorfan510
Horrorfan510

@abars01

I hadn’t considered that but it is a scary thought. I’m hoping that the left keeps momentum, which would mean looking at and boosting other state elections.

Nothing is Permanent But Woe
Nothing is Permanent But Woe

@WWTH

NIPBW is fine, as are Nothing, or Woe, feel free to use whatever abbreviation you like. It comes from ‘Fungus the Bogeyman’ and Bogeymen don’t have strong opinions about stuff like this, or anything really.

Regarding Alabama, I’m not American and don’t really know much about the state beyond what I’ve seen in the news, so your analysis is helpful. I’m quite tired of bad news this year so I should be looking at this as a positive thing, but I think I’ve accidentally trained my brain to look for the most pessimistic reading. Which is also something a Bogeyman would do.

It just seems strange that supporters of a party that so loudly trumpets its commitment to ‘traditional values’ are so keen to chuck all that under a bus and support such an obviously sleazy oik simply because he isn’t his opponent. I’ve only really been following US politics in any sort of detail for the last year or so, though, so I guess this isn’t strange at all for those who have to live under it.

Makroth - cowboy Jacobin from Hell
Makroth - cowboy Jacobin from Hell
Zatar
Zatar

abars01:

I mean conservatives already have very high Turnout in America, and the Alt Right already is very energized. Besides The Alt Rights very much built on hateful arrogant white men who don’t necessarily like each other so if anything I expect this will make them continue to fracture.

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs

So great to see some good news on the front page! (that breakdown of the vote by sex and race is … striking, to say the least).

And also wonderful to see you, David!!! Hope you’re as well as may be and getting better ::transatlantic non-intrusive virtual hugs:: 🙂

Nequam
Nequam

Glad you’re feeling better, David.

As for this election…
comment image

Ohlmann
Ohlmann

I will add my voice to the cry of joice. It’s far from enough, but it’s a victory that count for democracy-lovers 🙂

Moggie
Moggie

I want to take a moment out of laughing at Roy Moore to laugh at Steve Bannon and Milo, because of this Engadget story: Steve Bannon and Breitbart spent months trying to sabotage Twitter:

Following Yiannopoulos’ Twitter verification removal on January 9th of 2016, Yiannopoulos — Breitbart’s tech editor at the time — sent an email to Bannon saying, “This will be a week of pain for Twitter. What do you think about a stunt? Protest outside their offices, 50 people in Milo masks demanding my badge back? I want to underscore how petty what they did was and what it has revealed about the company and what the consequences are going to be.” Bannon was already against the platform because he believed it silenced conservative voices and over the next couple of months, the two, along with others like Chuck Johnson, discussed how they could get financial groups to short Twitter stock and push the already very low price down even further.

Yep, Milo, that will really show people how petty they are.

(Longer story at Buzzfeed)

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

I hope Moore doesn’t take his petulance out on Sassy. That poor horse has already suffered enough at his hands. And his lousy equitation in general.

Sheila Crosby

Steve Bannon’s reaction:
[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N18EwO-Rkxc?start=290&w=560&h=315%5D

He looks like he’s fighting back tears.

Sheila Crosby

Steve Bannon’s reaction:
[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N18EwO-Rkxc?start=290&w=560&h=315%5D

The good bit starts at 4:50

He looks like he’s fighting back tears.

Valentin - Emigrantski Ragamuffin
Valentin - Emigrantski Ragamuffin

Good news when you post David! And good news Roy Moore is in the garbage.🍾🎊🎉

But I am surprised by voter suppression which happened. Looks like Russians hack America but also USA is using Russian tactics with their citizens voters.🤔 What would be the result if they not suppressed? Even bigger loss for Moore.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

Even better than the Juicebro tweet:
comment image

Yes, some white supremacist fake news site really posted that headline, before the polls had even closed. So glad I saved the screenshot. ^-^

Valentin - Emigrantski Ragamuffin
Valentin - Emigrantski Ragamuffin

no. forgive me but I think you are wrong. this is not what will happen – it is not how history works. you can see from even this few tweets – this people are so certain Moore will win, even though everyone knows what he is, that they don’t even imagine that defeat will come for them.

you see, they experienced their wave already when trump elected, when right wing begins to rise again in, when nazis march in american and European streets. but now, they see their wave is starts to break. trump is stressed, he is closet each day to impeached. and now here is another sign their wave is crashing down. in this red state which is red for many many years – democrat is elected.

Their wave is losing her energy.

Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy
Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

Already said this on the other thread, but yay! I hope this is a sign of things to come.
Re politics generally, I just finished reading John Safran’s Depends what you mean by extremist, and what struck me (among other things; it’s a fascinating read) is how Islamophobia has brought together a depressingly wide range of people. I initially found it astonishing that groups like the United Patriots Front and Reclaim Australia had a lot of people from Asian and African backgrounds, for example. But having read Safran, it seems that a shared hatred of Muslims (plus a tweak to the meaning of “racism”) is more than enough.

But for now, back to “yay” and dancing dogs!

@Valya,

Their wave is losing her energy.

I like this very much and I hope you’re right 🙂

bluecat
bluecat

Excellent news and well done – in spite of voter suppression, people of Alabama voted for decency.

And great to see you posting dancing dogs here too, David.

@Nothing Permanent But Woe also terrific to virtually meet a Fungus the Bogeyman fan, my dreary.

Shadowplay
Shadowplay

NRSC Chair Says Jones Should Vote With GOP To ‘Truly Represent Alabama’

Whatever Gardner’s smoking, it seems strong.

Maybe so. I don’t think so. Look at the vote numbers:
There were ~100k fewer turned out to vote Sen. Jones than voted for Clinton last year.
There was ~700k fewer turned out to vote Moore than voted Trump.

That’s a lot of not terrible people.

In non- political news, it seems New Zealand really doesn’t like sleezebags:

New Zealand’s ‘good character’ rules could cost Matt Lauer the $9 million lakefront ranch he bought there

personalpest
personalpest

What does it say about us that we can’t just enjoy a well-deserved victory without immediately worrying about how the other side will react? Not that we’re wrong to do so–they are a bunch of petty, vengeful extremists, after all. But as long as we’re pooping in the punchbowl, I might as well join in.

1. Roy Moore isn’t going away–he’s too stubborn for that, and this election has raised his profile tremendously. His fundamentalist followers will embrace him as a martyr, and he’ll be able to raise money off this defeat for the rest of his life. At least he won’t be able to do as much damage as he could have if he’d won…

2. My real fear is that by the 2018 midterms, Trump will start a war in a desperate attempt to distract from his failures and get voters to rally around him. Of course, this is assuming that he’s still in office by then…

mrex
mrex

@WWTH

“In other words, it’s not so much that white men are terrible. It’s more that Republicans are terrible. Although, yeah, too many white men are indeed terrible.”

Could say the same about white women in your other post though. Not to sound argumentative, but I’m struggling to reconcile your other post about white women with this one. Maybe it’s how I’m reading it?

RE: the POC vote

A full 30% of the electorate was black, in a state where only 26.38% of the population is black. Hahahahahaha, eat that any asshole that wants to surpress the black vote. And a big hug to all the POC who pushed to get out en mass to vote against Mr. “family values”.

Nothing is Permanent But Woe
Nothing is Permanent But Woe

@Bluecat

Thanks drearest. In this time of noise, anger, electronic distraction and violence, I think we could all do with being a bit more Bogey. Also, Fungus’ street looks like the one my gran used to live on.

Shadowplay
Shadowplay

Something neat (and non political) following on from the urban exploring discussion in the last thread: Houses that weren’t houses.
Always loved the whole hiding in plain sight thing, like LA’s oil rigs do. 🙂

In more site appropriate news: Alt-Right women are just now figuring out that Alt-Right men are misogynistic trolls who want to control them

Note: this article is nowhere near as good as David would do it.

Dalillama: Irate Social Engineer

@WWTH

Oh, it’s definitely both. The white men who aren’t Republicans are a bit less terrible, but it’s pretty superficial in almost every case.

@Woe

That’s the terrifying part:they aren’t throwing their traditional values under a bus. they’re voting for them.

Zenobia Augusta
Zenobia Augusta

My first thought on seeing Roy Moore on a horse was that he looked like a sack of potatoes someone tied to a horse.

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation

The Duggar Family Values vote.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

Mine was that he looked like a Barbie doll on a toy unicorn.

Honestly, you’d think he’d remember that he has knees and knees can bend, what with how often the disgusting rapist tells children to come sit on them.

Nothing is Permanent But Woe
Nothing is Permanent But Woe

@Shadowplay

That’s very cool; both the power station houses and the concealed oil derricks. Reminds me of a post I saw somewhere about houses in Switzerland that weren’t houses but the disguised entrances to nuclear bunkers!

@Dalillama

I think what I’m trying to say is:
A UK politician who was accused of what Roy Moore was, would usually be quickly whisked away from the front line by his party for fear of upsetting the Daily Mail brigade. Their signature brand of ‘traditional values’ (aka moral outrage) has the stopped-clock moment of not approving of paedophiles (despite the DM’s sidebar of shame, but that’s another story).

I think I’ve made the mistake in the past of assuming that Republican ‘traditional values’ and those of the UK right wing are broadly in line, whereas now I’m seeing it more as a venn diagram with just a few things like homophobia, neo-liberalism, islamophobia and posturing bullshit in the crossover point. The UK right’s obsession with Europe and with the Monarchy can go in it’s special circle, whilst gun rights, anti-socialism and evangelical Xtianity are the preserve of the US.

Iseult The Idle
Iseult The Idle

RE: Roy “no, not Rogers” Moore on a horse – it’s absolutely clear that he has no idea what he’s doing, and that he’s terrified of the horse and the horse is in distress. I felt awful watching that, as he used the reins for balance and flopped around, sawing wildly.

RE: Doug Jones – seems like a good man. It’s ironic, isn’t it, that his background as a federal prosecutor actually worked against him with regards to the white vote. How telling is it that, what? thirty years later, they’re still calling him a “n****r lover” in exit polls.

One thing about Alabama bigots, they’re not shy. You don’t have to spend any time wondering.

RE: next steps. Yes! By all means, celebrate. Eat, drink, and be merry; for tomorrow we get back to work. There is always another election coming up faster than you realize. Complacence is our enemy.

But for now, yes. Breathe. This was a big one.

Finally, BIG shout out to African American voters in Alabama. THANK YOU.

Andrew
Andrew

@WWTH

I think you’re reading too much into it. Go check out the Vice video interviewing Alabama Repubs. They have two issues on which they decide their vote:
-Abortion: bad
-Gays: also bad

Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie

it’s not so much that white men are terrible

In descending order of Power, Privilege and Terrible….

White Men
Men
White People

#2 and #3 may shift position depending on situation

They would actually rather vote for a child molester than for someone who supports people who aren’t… well, who aren’t THEM….

E.T.A. forgive my self-absorbed lack of empathy… WELCOME BACK DAVID!!!

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Mrex,

I didn’t intend to sound like I was giving women a harder time than men for voting for Moore. I was more trying to reiterate my point that as sucky as it is, the upside is, either some Republicans switched sides and voted for Jones or its just that most Republicans stayed home. I do admit though that the sense of betrayal when women do things to uphold patriarchy hurts me more than when men rally around their male privilege. But don’t worry, I’m still a card carrying member of the Misandry Club, salt my food with male tears and officially do not care about the plight of sad boners!

Shadowplay,

Speaking of Matt Lauer, Today’s rating have actually gone way up since they fired him. Whether it’s just temporary, I don’t know but at least it helps make the case that the entertainment industry shouldn’t help predators because the audience wants to see these individuals.

I always hear people say that even after all this #metoo stuff, Hollywood is still protecting Woody Allen because people still go to his movies. Do they? I can’t remember the last time I saw one. I might have watched Annie Hall on TV five years ago or so. His new movies? Nope. I don’t ever hear anyone talk about going to them or discussing the movies themselves. I just hear people debate whether or not actors should be called out for working with him. I think he gets the funding to make his films and the critical attention and the platforms to show them because the industry likes him. Not because the audience does. It seems to me like movie fans of slowly trickled away from him ever since the 90’s when he went public with Soon Yi.

Shadowplay
Shadowplay

@wwth

Not even sure if the industry likes him – finding out who finances Allen’s movies is really not easy. I think if anything they tolerate him because somehow he got a (very undeserved) reputation for “Art,” and artists aren’t like mere mortals. /immense sarcasm.

If you call his work art – I call it (well, at least the stuff he stars in as well) boringly neurotic. I want to see someone whining about failure and futility, I’ll go to the pub. 😛

Edit to add: daughter says his last one – Cafe Society – wasn’t too bad. She saw it on a date night with her hubby.

Dalillama: Irate Social Engineer

@ Woe
British conservatives want to keep PoCs out/expel those who are there. US conservatives want to enslave PoCs/kill any that object.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

I do think we should all use these elections to fight against brogressivism. They love to whine about how the left needs their white dudely selves and how we shouldn’t make them feel aggrieved by focusing on things like rape culture, police violence against black people, trans rights and other things that give aggrieved white males the sads because it’s not all about them and their pet issues 24/7. But look what happens when black voters and in particular black female voters turn out in huge numbers. Democrats win. Can we fucking finally get the Democratic party, the whiny brogressives and the “liberal” media to concede that we need everyone else more than we need agrieved dudebros who want keep preserve white male privilege even in supposedly progressive movements and organizations.

Nothing is Permanent But Woe
Nothing is Permanent But Woe

@Dalillama

Yes, that seems about right. You put that far more succinctly than I was able to.

Iseult The Idle
Iseult The Idle

@WWTH yes, and the way to do that is to encourage more women – progressive women, I hasten to stipulate – and people of color (who are not David Clarke) to run for office.

I absolutely don’t begrudge Doug Jones this win; I think he ran a great campaign and is eminently qualified to be in the Senate. That said, I would love to see more POC representing their districts, whether they always vote in lockstep with Democratic aims or not.

sarah_kay_gee
sarah_kay_gee

Did you see that video of Jake Tapper telling the Moore surrogate that actually no, you don’t have to take the oath of office on a Bible. OMFG I literally thought for a second that the video had frozen: https://twitter.com/TheLeadCNN/status/940704581742419969/video/1

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer

@personalpest:

Roy Moore isn’t going away–he’s too stubborn for that, and this election has raised his profile tremendously. His fundamentalist followers will embrace him as a martyr[…].

They have been for years. Remember, this is the same man who was actively thrown off the bench by a higher court twice because he kept insisting on trying to put a Ten Commandments monument at the courthouse, despite the constitution and lots of case law against it. And then refusing to take it down after the higher court had said to remove it. The man’s an old school theocrat through and through.

Also, as noted, he was removed as a judge twice, because state judges can be elected in Alabama, and people re-elected him even after he had demonstrated no respect for the law of the land and cost the state money in legal fees as well as construction fees. Roy Moore is Exhibit A for ‘why would anybody ever think a public election for judges is a good idea?’

1 2 3 12