entitled babies funny misandry misogyny MRA parody red pill

A Handmaid’s Tale, but for dudes, courtesy of Funny or Die

By David Futrelle

Funny or Die pretty much nails it with this video, which is even better if you’ve been watching the real Handmaid’s Tale on Hulu.

Admittedly, I say that after only having watched the first episode of the show. See, the thing is, it’s extremely well done, much better than the movie version. But that also means it’s so chilling it’s hard for me to watch. (And I’m someone who regularly watches horror movies and Lars Von Trier.) Anyone else having the same reaction to the show? Or a very different one?

H/T — Thanks to the person who alerted me to the Funny or Die video though I can’t find the tweet (I think) in which they did it.

Paradoxical Intention - Leader of the Deathclaw Damsels

Ha. Nice satire. I really liked the “quote” from RoK.

Off topic: I ordered my chinese food via orderup, and now a Jonathan is on his way to deliver it.

Plz Jonathan, you’re my only hope of eating something decent today.

ScarlettAthena (not a sock puppet... or am I?)
ScarlettAthena (not a sock puppet... or am I?)

Nice! Funny satire with the Manosphere references!

The Hulu show The Handmaid’s Tale has taken some liberties with the source material. There are some aspects I really like, other choices I like less. I like some of the exploration of other characters besides Offred, for example. I’m not a fan of their choice of Moira not sneaking off on her own, but overall, I like the atmosphere they’ve created.

PeeVee the (Timber-Rattling Booger Slut, But Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Timber-Rattling Booger Slut, But Noice) Sarcastic

BWA HA HA HA HA!!!

runsinbackground
runsinbackground

Yeah, I can’t watch the show. I read the book, and it was so disturbing that it almost made me sick. There was one particular passage, where Offred reminisces about the run-up to the establishment of the Republic of Gilead, and she talks about being forced to leave her job because kinder, kuche, and kirche, and her husband tells her “it’ll be alright, we’ll get through this, I’ll take care of you.” Offred remembers thinking “you don’t really mind this, do you? This is something you’re OK with, me being reduced to your chattel.” I felt stabbed to the core of my soul. Because really, I would be more or less fine in the Republic of Gilead, as a straight white cismale with a Christian background. If anything bad happened to me there, it would be because I chose to do something that made it happen, like protesting. Would I be strong enough to do the right thing, even if it meant being imprisoned, tortured, or killed? Would you? Atwood says that the answer is “fuck no!”, and I think that she’s right.

JS
JS

@David For your “odd safety video” fix, I recommend “Staplerfahrer Klaus”, it’s originally in German, but the plot’s not complicated. Don’t want to give any of it away though.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Hulu is the only major streaming service so I haven’t seen Handmaid’s Tale yet. But I did read the book and that was definitely enough to get the joke.

The sad thing is, if that trailer toned the comedy down just slightly, I could see MRAs actually thinking it would be a great show for real!

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

“Man Fred” killed me 😁

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

I haven’t been able to watch an episode of Handmaid’s Tale all the way through. I always need to stop at some point and continue later.

Bob Dole
Bob Dole

I lost it at the ROK quote.

PeeVee the (Timber-Rattling Booger Slut, But Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Timber-Rattling Booger Slut, But Noice) Sarcastic

@Axe,

Me, too! And now I’ve got “Blinded By The Light” knocking around in my noggin.

RosieLa
RosieLa

Man Fred, née Fred, destroyed me.

Like @runsinbackground, that part of the book really touched me too. It’s been my life’s mission to find men who would be willing to take the full pain for their morals and as Atwood noted there don’t seem to be many of them.

I am upset about Moira, because I would like to think that I’m more akin to her than to the ones who go along with it. Realistically, I’m not sure that I’m that strong.

Gussie Jives
Gussie Jives

*sigh* You Americans and your “Hulu” hoops and your “Home Box Offices”. All I got in the hinterlands of Canada is crummy ol’ Netflix and whatever crap original programming they have and old syndicated 90s sci-fi series they have kicking around.

(The Handmaid’s Tale is actually on Bravo here in Canada, but I haven’t watched cable in a decade or so, so I’ll probably have to watch it when it comes out on Betamax–dah, I mean DVD at some point).

I’m still somewhat skeptical of this series, as I am of a lot of book adaptations. They have a nasty habit of “sexifying” things unnecessarily, and when I saw who they cast as Serena Joy, it kinda had my “unnecessary sex appeal” alarm going off. I’ve never seen anything with Yvonne Strahovski in it, so I can’t speak to her abilities as an actress, but for all the 90s film version’s faults, Faye Dunaway just nailed that character’s (ironic) triumphant joylessness as if she really were Tammy Faye Bakker having got everything she desired and realizing it rendered her a second-class citizen. I think Rexella Van Impe or Phyllis Schalfly more than young Anita Bryant.

The other thing that makes me skeptical is I’ve read reviews that indicate that it’s been stripped of that black humour that remains textbook Atwood. This has been a particular bugaboo of mine in this whole “grimdark TV” period where the shadow of Game of Thrones seems to loom over everything. Offred’s description of “the ceremony” sounds so ridiculously awkward for all parties involved that the sheer absurdity of it does radiate from the page.

It’d be like if they adapted Harrison Bergeron as a straight-forward 1984-like dystopia without any of Vonnegut’s absurdist humour. Oh wait, they did that already.

Anyway, I will see it eventually, and I may be wildly off the mark in my assessments, but that’s my current impression from what I’ve heard about it. I’d love to hear other takes.

Baroncognito
Baroncognito

I go to that part of the book and wondered “What would I be doing in this situation?” but by the end of the book I knew: I’d have drowned.

Though I do wonder how long you could fake a conversion if you kept saying things like “In cheeses name. Edam”

But how would I react if I were living in some distopia? I don’t know, it’s hard to imagine that I’d live through the cataclysm.

Banananana dakry: Fat, Short-Haired, and Deranged
Banananana dakry: Fat, Short-Haired, and Deranged

I’d be dead from working in the toxic dumps. I have no uterus, I’m an unwoman, and my appearance and genes marking me as female and therefore as a Thing would further damn me to there.

I cannot bring myself to watch this series, or read the book. I can’t. I’m in enough fear from this sham of a government in my country and live with enough anxiety and depression the mental consequences for me could be devastating.

abars01
abars01

Has anyone got the fortitude to read the YouTube comments? I don’t…

MrsObedMarsh
MrsObedMarsh

If you’re watching Handmaid’s Tale on Hulu, consider watching Harlots too. It’s another womansploitation show, but about 18th-century London prostitutes rather than near-future dystopia concubines. It’s an ensemble show centered around the conflict between two rival madams and I love the characters and the gowns and the historical details and the modern-style soundtrack and the opening credits (slightly NSFW) MY GOD:

Aunt Podger, Ketchup-Spewing Feminester
Aunt Podger, Ketchup-Spewing Feminester

You know, when I was a wee sprog of a podgerlet, matriarchal parallel universes were a big tropey thing on TV, whether played for laughs (“The Worm That Turned”) or with a straight face. I am still waiting for this scene:

A.U. Native Woman: “You’ll pass for now. Just… don’t talk.”

Dimensional traveler: “Wha… these pockets aren’t even pockets! They’re just flaps… sewn on… for no reason.”

Native, utterly puzzled: “Yes? Real pockets would ruin the line and make your hips look lumpy. Can’t overthrow the matriarchy if they’re throwing candy bars at you and mooing, right?”

MrsObedMarsh, that sounds wonderful, thank you!

epitome of incomprehensibility

“Now, even the women who aren’t lesbians… look like lesbians” made me laugh. Ridiculous but on the nose.

@Gussie Jives –

The other thing that makes me skeptical is I’ve read reviews that indicate that it’s been stripped of that black humour that remains textbook Atwood… Offred’s description of “the ceremony” sounds so ridiculously awkward for all parties involved that the sheer absurdity of it does radiate from the page.

Makes sense! I read the book when I was 17, so I didn’t have the political context to grasp its big ideas, but I still remember the ceremony scene with Offred’s dry narration (and noted astutely that the sex wasn’t very sexy).

I think the construction of Offred’s (handmaid) name counts too – Of + Fred – as being both funny and dark. I was a ways into the book when I realized the joke; at first I thought the name was just generically SF-ish like something by Garth Nix.

KatieKitten420
KatieKitten420

David I just wanted to say I totally agree with you. I can’t stop watching it bit by bit but it is honestly giving me nightmares. Literal actual wake up screaming nightmares. I’m very emotional. But that’s just because it’s so good at least in my opinion

Jules
Jules

Chances are I’d be among the fertile chattel, unfortunately. But hopefully I’d be able to nope out to Canada before it got to that point.

I keep imagining the name “Manfred” being said by that orc in the LOTR that said, “Man flesh.”

Apparently there’s a 10 minute version of that bit on youtube. Also this version:

Deathtothefilth
Deathtothefilth

@runsinbackground
The fact that you’re on here, and concerned about your reaction, shows that you would do something.
I’m a bi, genderqueer, white masculine presenting person.
I could pass, could hide in a handmaid world easily, but I wouldn’t. And I don’t think you would either. There comes a point, when, if you’re a decent pertain, you stand up, regardless of how scared you are, because your anger at what’s being done to others, your empathy, is stronger than your fear.

Deathtothefilth
Deathtothefilth

And yeah, for the record, in that world I’d be long dead. I am an unapologetic feminist, raising my daughter to be one, and am armed. In short, they’d take me out.

Ellesar
Ellesar

In short, they’d take me out.

But not before you had taken some of them out I’d wager.

I’d be designated Martha in that world, but am far too aggressive and anti authority, so I too would be dead. But I might be able to play the game long enough to take out someone influential.

sunnysombrera
sunnysombrera

I’m fertile but also tokophobic as hell. I would not manage forced pregnancy and childbirth very well. I couldn’t say for sure how it would affect me since I’ve never had an unwanted pregnancy but I also can’t say my mental health would be the same afterwards. Might well even reach a breaking point after repeated forced pregnancies.

calmdown
calmdown

@Gussie Jives

Yvonne Strahovski

I wasn’t sure about this casting choice either, but having watched it I can say she really is not very “sexy” in this role (I haven’t watched the last 2 episodes so something really sexy could happen that I’m not aware of.) She’s beautiful but she allowed the frumpy wife coats to take over her body and make her totally shapeless just like a Gilead wife should. Overall I was impressed with her acting. I give her credit for being versatile enough to take on what I think is a very different role for her.

Bina

In Gilead, I would be an Unwoman for sure, since I’ve had my tubes tied, am unmarried, and nearing the age when, as far as breeding goes, I’d be considered as good as dead.

In real life (thankfully!), I’m snurking at this parody and thinking that Roosh V must be soiling his unwashed pants over and over again, like Ted Nugent trying to avoid the draft, when he sees his website so unflatteringly yet perfectly mentioned.

(And also giving thanks that the Religious Reich is too disorganized in real life to actually get something like this going on. And mercifully hindered by scandals in Drumpfolandia, too.)

Redsilkphoenix: Jetpack Vixen, Agent of the FemiNest Collective; Keeper of a Hell Toupee, and all-around Intergalactic Meanie

I have yet to see the Hulu series (the perils of my only Internet access -the one I pay for, that is – being a small iPhone 🙁 ), but I may have to look this one up. It sounds like it may have corrected the massive (to me, anyway) flaws the book had.

(I understand the point Atwood was making, and agree with it, but there were still some parts of it that made me go “uuuuuuunh…no” while reading it.)

Jimbtho
Jimbtho

What were those flaws, Redsilkphoenix? I read the book in about 1995. The show’s pretty good tv. Like some others, I’m not sure about the casting decisions re Serena Joy and the Commander, but the acting is good, particularly in the case of Joy’s actor.

Virgin Mary
Virgin Mary

I guess all trans folk would be hanged or sent to work with the toxic waste.
We get part 4 tonight on Channel 4 at 9pm. I am actually enjoying it, if that’s the correct word. I think it’s a good update on the book, and it’s clever to show the things which happened to June which led up to it.

EJ (the Scheming Liberal Race-Traitor)

I found that the series has less Atwood-ishness layered dry humour than the book, although that’s not a bad thing. In the book the humour acts to distract you from the horror of the world and keep you focused on the characters; the series abandons that to go full-tilt into a horror world.

BELOW HERE BE SPOILERS. YE BE WARNED.

I disliked the way that they presented Canada and Mexico in the series.

The Mexican ambassador scene came close to ruining it for me, since it came close to presenting an in-world reason why forced birtherism is objectively the correct thing for even non-hostile societies to follow.

As for Canada, I realise that Atwood’s going to rep for her home nation and that Canadians are traditionally very welcoming to newcomers, but as someone who’s volunteered with refugees, I feel that the portrayal was a whitewash. “Being a refugee is great, as people will go out of their way to give you everything you need, in spacious uncrowded buildings, and nobody will hurl abuse at you” is a narrative that feels less plausible than anything else depicted in the series thus far.

Gussie Jives
Gussie Jives

@EJ

Canadians are traditionally very welcoming to newcomers

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh……………. I don’t think I could really say that with any meaningful confidence. One of my bugaboos is national myths obscuring real problems and “Canada the Good” can be invoked a little too freely in papering over issues our society needs to sort out.

We’re better than most. We’re not going to give newcomers immediate upturned noses and side-eyes, but we’re also going to subject them to a lot more subtle stresses that come kinda hand-in-hand with being a country built on (for all intents and purposes) fealty-to-the-Crown Orange Order Toryism. There’s a lingering white supremacy streak we still haven’t entirely wiped away yet, judging by the way we treat or aboriginal population. We still interned the Japanese. We still put the Head Tax on Chinese workers. We still had the Residential Schools. Those ghosts can’t be exorcised, they’re going to haunt us. And frankly, they should.