drama kings entitled babies mansplaining men who should not ever be with women ever misandry misogyny

Just some dudes who think a lady-only Wonder Woman showing makes them Rosa Parks

Have the guys complaining about women-only Wonder Woman movie showings ever read Wonder Women comics?

When the Alamo Drafthouse Cinemas announced they would be holding a few women-only showings of the upcoming Wonder Woman movie, the angry dudes of the internet all cried “foul” at once.

And when one bold man — a conservative journalist by the name of Stephen Miller — bought a ticket for one of these women-only showings, and announced on Twitter he fully intended to attend, darnit, these men knew they had found their Rosa Parks. Only white. And a dude. And not even slightly oppressed by any reasonable definition of the term.

Still, the angry dudes took to Twitter to share their thoughts. Well, their thought. They all seemed to have the exact same one, and they haven’t gotten tired of repeating it yet.

Er, sorry about that last one. I don’t think that dude is talking about the Wonder Woman movie at all.

dslucia
dslucia

@Francesca:

I really want to make a “trash-chan” joke…

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

True fact: The manosphere is devoted to Rosa Parks, diversity, and standing up to all oppressors of women of color.

And while she lived, Rosa Parks was devoted to the manosphere.

Most people don’t know this because it didn’t get covered.

@NickNameNick

This kind of behavior makes me ashamed to be a cis-het white guy – it really, really does.

But that is neither necessary nor desirable.

Just keep being a good ally to those who don’t look like you. Use that privilege for good.

Aulma Frendzar Dèdd

@Victorious Parasol @Ooglyboggles thanks! I’m glad to be here.

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement

I’m tired and my stomach is full of Italian food, so I’m going to quote a guy I like pretending to be Luigi. (Kinda.)

“FUCK-ing CHRIST, Mario!”

AsAboveSoBelow
AsAboveSoBelow

My favorite comment from NPR’s Facebook page:

“Same men who probably didn’t want to see it in the first place. If you told them eating dirt was for women only, they’d all start shoving soil in their faces.”

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@PeeVee
Zac Efron definitely plays one of em, not sure about the other 2…

@Slick

-Outkast, “Rosa Parks”

Thank you! 😀

NickNameNick
NickNameNick

@Kat:

I know, and I try – but I do worry about falling into that mentality if I’m not self-critical enough.

Certainly doesn’t help I’ve known other cis-het white guys who once prided themselves on being so supposedly progressive and enlightened, only to become zealously alt-right because they couldn’t stand anyone being critical of their behavior. They assume they are perfect the way they are and any suggestion of changing how they behave is somehow worse than any kind marginalization others may experience.

I like to remind myself, almost constantly, that I am utterly imperfect and that there’s always room for improvement.

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

I have to admit I’m glad that somebody put Trump in his place.

Macron explains his tense handshake with Trump

French President Emmanuel Macron confirmed that there was indeed a deeper significance to the prolonged handshake he shared with US President Donald Trump in Brussels.
“My handshake with him, it’s not innocent,” Macron told the Journal du Dimanche in an interview published Sunday. “It’s not the alpha and the omega of politics, but a moment of truth.”
The two newly-minted leaders met in Brussels on Thursday and shook hands in full view of the press. The tense moment during Trump’s first trip abroad as President became the latest of Trump’s handshakes to draw attention online. In February, Trump’s lengthy handshake with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe — along with Abe’s animated reaction — went viral.
In the interview, Macron compared his own handshake to his leadership posture.
“One must show that we won’t make little concessions, even symbolic ones,” Macron said.
The centrist European leader also likened Trump’s diplomatic approach to those of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and Russian President Vladimir Putin.
“Donald Trump, the President of Turkey or the President of Russia are of a mindset of power relations, which doesn’t bother me,” Macron said. “I don’t believe in diplomacy of the public invective but in bilateral dialogues. I don’t let anything go. That’s how one makes oneself respected.”
During the lead-up to the French presidential election, Trump said positive things about Macron’s far-right opponent Marine Le Pen, and former US President Barack Obama endorsed Macron, who went on to win by about 30 percentage points.
A French official told CNN near the end of the G-7 summit that the two had gotten along well and that Trump had told Macron after the French election that he hadn’t supported Le Pen.
Macron said in the interview that he believed he could establish a “cordial relationship” with Trump.

kupo
kupo

Girl Interrupted, Constantly, by Dudes

So an average Tuesday?

PeeVee the (Timber-Rattling Booger Slut, But Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Timber-Rattling Booger Slut, But Noice) Sarcastic

Axe,

Oooooh! I definitely approve.

(Yum)

ETA: “Winter’s Boner”, FTW

Sissy
Sissy

“I can’t stand the fact that there are a few women’s only screenings, so I’m gonna protest by… buying a seat and giving the movie theater some of my money! THAT’LL SHOW THEM!

Do… do these dudes know what a “protest” means? Or is this another one of those “a fool and their money are soon parted” things?

PeeVee the (Timber-Rattling Booger Slut, But Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Timber-Rattling Booger Slut, But Noice) Sarcastic

Kestrel
Kestrel

I am willing to bet that if I looked through the tweets by a lot of these asshats that they want women to stay out of geek culture and video games. I don’t remember where I saw this quote before (it was on this site) but these guys are a walking talking example of “when you are used to privilege, equality seems like oppression.”

Angry Since 11/09/2016
Angry Since 11/09/2016

“Whip It Out
Frozen Entree
Winter’s Boner
Girl Interrupted, Constantly, by Dudes Explaining Shit to Her
All About Evel Knievel
Iron Man-Magnolias” -David

I’ve seen all of these my entire life, and they were Razzie worthy.

Laugher at Bigots, Low-T Inbetweener Weener

I just can’t bring myself to feel oppressed by this. I couldn’t even if they vowed never to show it to any men, ever, because I had no plans to see it anyway. It seems like it’s a whole lot of effort to be outraged at every trifling thing like this.

No doubt these man-babies think that all this indignation is righteous, along the lines of “injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere”, but in this case “justice” means “that state in which all institutions at all times in all cases cater to white men”.

JS
JS

“Help! Help! I’m being repressed! Come see the violence inherent in the system!” About as meaningful as these wonderfail versions of men.

Paradoxical Intention - Leader of the Deathclaw Damsels

Where’s that animated short where a dude gets several scoops of ice cream, shoving his cone under a machine to get them, while a woman is struggling to get just one, and then the woman FINALLY gets one single scoop, and he starts crying?

Oh wait~

Yeah, I’m not buying the Rosa Parks comparison. No one’s forcing these dudes to sit in the back of the theater.

Haise, the husky puppy | May 28, 2017 at 8:40 pm
These types of guys complain when women have their own spaces and then complain when women are in “their” spaces.

You mean how these shitheads will complain that comics are a “male only safe space” and whine and temper tantrum that a woman would dare like comics (and not immediately drop to their knees to slobber all over their penises and pretend like they’re oh so interested in the dude’s rant about how Feeeemales Are Ruining Muh Media, and ask them all sorts of newbie-level questions to stroke their ego and stay silent and nod along the rest of the time)?

The same shitheads who will “quiz” a woman who dares to say she’s interested in a comic within their earshot with bullshit facts that literally no one cares about just so they can sneer and say she’s not a “real” fan because she doesn’t know the exact issue/page/panel number where Deadpool shoryukened Kitty Pride so he can provoke Wolverine into a fight, or they’re not “real” fans because they got into the comic because of external media*, instead of hunting down a comic book store in their area when they were 10, and spending their childhood exactly as the “real” fans did.

The same shitheads who will then opine that girls don’t like them SOLELY because they’re into [insert media here], and not because they’re absolutely fucking repulsively sexist towards any woman who would dare be into the same nerdy shit they’re into, or that girls “don’t like [Media]”, and will whine and kvetch that there aren’t any girls around for them to harass.

Somewhat related, but different media:comment image

This shit happens all the damn time.

And still people wonder why women haven’t openly participated in these types of media cultures, which perpetuates the idea that women weren’t there in the first place, despite facts showing the exact opposite.

Women get harassed by men in spaces devoted to [media]’s culture, women ghost to avoid it and create their own spaces (either solitary or in groups), men think that women aren’t into [media] therefore they decide to claim it as their own, men harass women AGAIN when the internet allows them to be more open about being a fan of [media].

Literally damned if we do, and damned if we don’t. We are either harassed, or we’re told we’re not really fans, or we have to hide ourselves from everyone.

And yet these fuckers want to play the victim card?

*I literally saw this shit with the MCU. People fucking whining that there would be NEW FANS coming in who only got into comics because of the movies. Like, how fucking arrogant can you fucking get?

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

I have to wonder how many of these guys get offended when women enter normally all-male spaces?

Just off the top of my head, the things I’ve heard anti-feminists say that women are supposed to stay away from entirely because they’re male safe spaces include

Atheism
Video games
All STEM fields
The military
Science fiction

That’s just a short list that I can think of at the moment. I’m sure there’s more.

I mean, I’m apparently a misandrist bitch for not believing in any supernatural entities because atheism is a male safe space, but they’re offended by a few movie screenings for women? Right.

PeeVee the (Timber-Rattling Booger Slut, But Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Timber-Rattling Booger Slut, But Noice) Sarcastic

How is not believing in any gods a male-only thing? That just seems so fucking absurd to me.

Croquembouche, poorly-dressed vandal
Croquembouche, poorly-dressed vandal

Well I went and looked at Stephen Miller’s Twitter feed. Because I wondered how likely it was that his intention was to go there solely for the pleasure of harassing his fellow attendees and making them feel uncomfortable.

It’s OK everybody, because when someone said he should throw popcorn and jeer loudly when bad things happened to women, he said he didn’t plan to do that.
And when someone said he should (trivialise Trans* issues by) claim[ing] to identify as female when he showed up, he said he didn’t plan to do that.
And when several someones said he was doing this and publicising the hell out of it for self-promotion, and promotion of his employer, Heat St, he said … something… something… MUH CIVUL LIBERTEEZ!

So I looked at HeatStreet’s feed, and they definitely have no agenda AT ALL.

So its OK everybody, if this guy attends that showing, it will definitely not just be for the pleasure of spite.

Buffalo Headroom (it doesn't have to make sense)

It’s shit like this that makes me cringe. First world problems concentrated into pure grade-A diarrhea shit. Truly and utterly pathetic.

Atheism
Video games
All STEM fields
The military
Science fiction

I’d also add:
-Sports’ channels (they think female sports bring the overall quality down)
-Male workplace (they don’t like female competition)
-Police/Secret Services/Fbi (same as military)
-Politics

There’s probably more though.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Oh, not just sports channels. Sports in general. I remember a post here where some manurespherians were saying that women shouldn’t be allowed to compete in the Olympics. They were really mad that the US Olympic team of all sports put together included more women than men.

Aulma Frendzar Dèdd

Oh, yeah, I remember that. They also complained about the female athletes’ bodies being too athletic for their liking.

I’ve also heard them complain about college sports having female teams…and martial arts and MMA and God knows what else.

Nikki the Bluth Wannabe
Nikki the Bluth Wannabe

I like the Charlie’s Angels with male Angels idea. How about a badass woman as Charlie, for an extra dose of misandry? My first thought was Helen Mirren, but then again Scarlett Johansson has an awesome voice and has done several voice-only roles. Any other casting suggestions?

IgnoreSandra
IgnoreSandra

@Paradoxical Intention

Literally dealt with this tonight. A guy who should have known better was picking music for all of us to listen to, and he was quizzing a woman who just wanted to play “Africa” by Toto about irrelevant shit.

I put a stop to him, but this is a guy who, for the last year, has been in a committed relationship with a feminist. Then again, this is also the guy who introduced himself to me about two months before he got into that relationship by sexually assaulting me.

I told him that maybe we didn’t need to give each other pop quizzes on bands while we were at a party. He resisted the moral, so I insisted and he shut up.

Which kinda makes me upset. Because I don’t think he’d have shut up if he didn’t perceive me as another guy. Ass.

NickNameNick
NickNameNick

@PeeVee:

I think it’s because many male atheists – especially on YouTube – conflate masculinity with rationality while everything feminine is somehow inherently irrational. The irony, of course, being that they’re certainly willing to criticize religion for being sexist when it conveniently makes them look good but are belligerently dismissive of sexism in a more secular context.

@W.W.T.H. & Aulma:

I’d add comics to that list as well. Though there’ve certainly been strides made to be more inclusive, which has led to some great work being produced, there’s still definitely a boy’s club mentality not just among comicbook fans but also a good deal of comicbook creators.

The fact assholes like Frank Cho think that being told, by a collaborator, to not draw Wonder Woman’s underwear on a cover is somehow a form of “censorship” doesn’t help. Nor do the many shitheads who will enable that completely unwarranted sense of self-victimization, acting as if one artist not being able to draw sexy pictures – as if that isn’t happening a lot already – is the worst thing imaginable.

The hostility towards criticism is often a pathetic display. Despite being surrounded by sycophants who dote on them constantly, they’ll get fixated on a few people who had (God forbid!) expressed their dislike of some of their work. It doesn’t matter how constructive or reasonable the criticism is, they’ll act as if they’re being threatened at gunpoint to never draw again.

It makes me wonder if these people ever looked for feedback from peers or instructors prior to their success in comics because, well, they had to start somewhere and eventually improved on their craft. It’s as if being surrounded by a bunch of “yes-men” made them completely forget that, without criticism, they wouldn’t of gotten better as artists and eventually well-recognized. The problem with being constantly complimented is that it makes you thin-skinned and unable to handle anything less than complimentary, which is downright childish.

JS
JS

All the talk about Red Pills and the Matrix… I really need a bumper sticker that says something like

“I’m a system administrator. I took BOTH pills.”

mywall
mywall

@Aulma Frendzar Dèdd

I’d like to invite these people to explain to Merkel that politics is for men. See how far they get with that bullshit.

@NickNameNick

Oh right, there’s that too. And I should add action movies. With the backlash that Mad Max: Fury road got, I think it’s safe to say they don’t want women in those either. Not as significant characters anyway.

mywall
mywall

Also, I’m not sure atheism is a male only safe space. Or at least, not the organized part of atheism. At the moment, it just seems to be various different levels of toxic.

NickNameNick
NickNameNick

@Aulma:

Which I found odd, ’cause I think it’s one of the best films to have come out in the last few years – moreso because the feminist themes in the film weren’t an afterthought, but integral to everything within the plot.

Immortan Joe and his cohorts really are patriarchy physically incarnate: a bunch of old, sick men who should’ve died long ago but are continually propped up by male youths who don’t know better and have been programmed to seek their approval at all costs – hoarding resources which they do not need, while relegating women to a form of chattel.

It’s rather telling how one of the most prized resources in the film is mother’s milk, which means a woman’s value within the setting is based almost entirely in child-birthing and their ability to be literally milked for such as if they were bovine.

TheKND
TheKND

I have to admire this about the guy. He does go through a lot for his convictions. I mean… watching a present day DC movie? That has to count for something! (Satire deployed, serious now)
Remember when a certain Youtube commentator/journalist/doxxer said that “this is the reaction of people who have lost all sense of perspective”? That would be appropriate here.

misophistry
misophistry

Atheism
Video games
All STEM fields
The military
Science fiction

I’d also add:
-Sports’ channels (they think female sports bring the overall quality down)
-Male workplace (they don’t like female competition)
-Police/Secret Services/Fbi (same as military)
-Politics

There’s probably more though.

^This is basically everything that interests me minus sports. Well actually I like the wrestling and snooker. I also like hair and makeup but that really isn’t much to talk about. I would add Art with a capital A to the list. In fact I would add everything to the list except The Kitchen and The Bedroom because I think I’m beginning to understand how they think.

@IgnoreSandra

This is also the guy who introduced himself to me about two months before he got into that relationship by sexually assaulting me.

IgnoreSandra, I’m sorry to hear that happened. And he’s still in your life, so maybe that rubs salt in the wound. But good for you for speaking up.

Take good care of yourself.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

You have a point. I just watched Suicide Squad a few weeks ago

comment image

@NickNameNick

I do worry about falling into that mentality if I’m not self-critical enough.

I hear you. Self-criticism is a very good thing.

I just see no need to criticize yourself for the actions of others. That said, I do understand the temptation to do so.

@NickNameNick

I agree with everything you said. It’s funny how angry they managed to get about Furiosa having any power and showing leadership considering…you know, that the rest of the women in the movie were being used as chattel.

IgnoreSandra
IgnoreSandra

@Kat

Thanks. I was thinking out loud. That maybe I shouldn’t be surprised at his actions. That maybe some men are just good at pretending to not be horrible.

Anyway. It was really fucking pathetic how much he was quizzing my friends on their knowledge of bands he liked when they just wanted to put a song in the queue.

@Aulma

Welcome, new Mammotheer!

@IgnoreSandra

Maybe some men are just good at pretending to not be horrible.

Plus relationships between any two people are bound to be colored by emotion (I don’t want to hurt his feelings) and pressure from within (I don’t want to lose this relationship) and without (Who would believe me!).

As my counselor at a domestic violence agency used to say frequently, “It’s complex.”

@misophistry

You’re right, Art belongs to the list too or anything that happens outside the home.

Stella
Stella

Personally I’d be fine with these guys arranging their own private group screening if that’s what they want. I’ll even do what I can to help. And this applies to any movie or public activity on general. Just don’t make me attend, please.

Monzach
Monzach

@weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

If you want to try a Suicide Squad media franchise that’s not…terrible, may I recommend you to the Terrible Warriors podcast’s four-episode campaign inspired by Suicide Squad? It’s, admittedly, four Canadian (Edmontonian, to be even more exact) guys roleplaying Suicide Squad but they’re definitely a lot of fun and their DM’s voice for Amanda Waller is pretty fun. My favorite moment has to be when “The Hobomancer” animates a dumpster and due to some improbably high dicerolls on the player’s part, the dumpster has a powerlevel equal to some of the DC Universe’s big hitters… :O

Diptych
Diptych

wrestling and snooker

The way you listed those makes me want to see them combined into a single sport.

NickNameNick
NickNameNick

@Diptych:

It’d be the greatest sport next to chess-boxing!
comment image

@Kat thanks! Glad to be here. 🙂

misophistry
misophistry

NickNameNick I am amazed at this picture^

Beyond the obvious hitting each other with the cues the wrestlers would have to pot the balls using each other as the cue in a variety of painful holds and then perform the full table bodyslam after they pot the black.