drama kings entitled babies mansplaining men who should not ever be with women ever misandry misogyny

Just some dudes who think a lady-only Wonder Woman showing makes them Rosa Parks

Have the guys complaining about women-only Wonder Woman movie showings ever read Wonder Women comics?

When the Alamo Drafthouse Cinemas announced they would be holding a few women-only showings of the upcoming Wonder Woman movie, the angry dudes of the internet all cried “foul” at once.

And when one bold man — a conservative journalist by the name of Stephen Miller — bought a ticket for one of these women-only showings, and announced on Twitter he fully intended to attend, darnit, these men knew they had found their Rosa Parks. Only white. And a dude. And not even slightly oppressed by any reasonable definition of the term.

Still, the angry dudes took to Twitter to share their thoughts. Well, their thought. They all seemed to have the exact same one, and they haven’t gotten tired of repeating it yet.

Er, sorry about that last one. I don’t think that dude is talking about the Wonder Woman movie at all.

Sliami Slick
Sliami Slick

“Ah-hah, hush that fuss
Everybody move to the back of the bus
Do you wanna krump and strump with us
We the typa people make the club get crunk”

-Outkast, “Rosa Parks”

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

I’m not convinced the situations are completely analogous.

It’s also perhaps worth remembering that the objection wasn’t that black people had to sit at the back, it was that black people had to give up their seats to white people. In fact one proposal from the black community was that the buses should be segregated and if the white section got full, then tough, white people would just have to wait for the next bus. Unsurprisingly that wasn’t acceptable and white people found they could tolerate being at the back of the bus if there were no other seats. Even (a more sceptical person might say, especially) if that meant there was no room for black passengers.

whatevermynameis
whatevermynameis

And then, these very same people will harp on feminists for being, ehm, “oversensitive”.

magnesium
magnesium

Mediocre white man belief #1: a white man not constantly catered and pandered to is equal to or greater than the stripping of basic rights of a woman or minority.

brian
brian

wtf, was there a memo that went around to all the white dudes that i missed?

MrsObedMarsh
MrsObedMarsh

There’s women-only cars on the Tokyo subway during peak hours (because groping has been such a major problem). I wonder how these guys would feel about that?

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Would it be breaching the comments policy to say I’d be happy for them to pretend to be 1960s civil rights protesters if we can pretend to be 1960s police and national guard?

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

It always amazes me how these people have little to no empathy for oppressed people yet are always so quick to turn right around and appropriate that oppression.

And Autistic Screeching? Real nice username there.

wtf, was there a memo that went around to all the white dudes that i missed?

Sometimes we feminists intercept these memos. We wouldn’t want our prized white knight mangina cucks to fall into enemy hands, now would we?

Fabe
Fabe

For any lurking MRAs A special one time event at being held by a private business and about a century of legalized, wide spread discrimination are not the same thing.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Oh, don’t worry. They got all upset about that too.

Yes they also used the Rosa Parks analogy then too.

If anyone is at all curious about the trolls of yore, both NWO Slave and MRAL are in there

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ fabe

Didn’t you predict this in your comment on one of the other threads?

Moggie
Moggie

Among the ways this is not a Rosa Parks situation: civil rights activists faced possible life-changing (or life-ending) consequences for their actions. Rosa Parks showed immense courage. A guy buying a movie ticket… not so much. What’s the worst that’s likely to happen to him?

Is a lack of perspective an inevitable thing for conservatives? Because this shit happens all the time. Seems like every day there’s some right-winger being oppressed worse than anyone in history.

Aussiesmurf

When Aaron Sorkin gets it right, he gets it right :

“Sports Night”

Isaac : Danny?

Dan Rydell: Yeah?

Isaac: You know I love you, don’t you?

Dan Rydell: Yeah.

Isaac: And because I love you I can say this: no rich young white guy has ever gotten anywhere with me comparing himself to Rosa Parks. Got it?

Dan Rydell: Yes sir.

Isaac: Good.

Fabe
Fabe

@Alan

Yeah I did but it didn’t really require crystal ball .

QuantumInc
QuantumInc

I have to wonder how many of these guys get offended when women enter normally all-male spaces? I don’t know about these specific people, but this blog has so many examples of men who complain about women invading all-male spaces, and here is a guy specifically trying to invade an all-female space.

By definition MHRAs look for oppression against men, and often see it where none exist. They make this particular connection not because it is a good analogy, but rather because the Rosa Parks incident is well known. They know almost nothing about the history of oppression, but they do know the name “Rosa Parks,” just like everyone else.

LindsayIrene, Rioting Werebonobo
LindsayIrene, Rioting Werebonobo

Rosa Parks does not deserve this.

Bina

That last tweet was a literal translation of what the others were all struggling to say.

Buffalo Headroom (it doesn't have to make sense)

The stupid here on display is too much. If I cringed any harder my face will explode.

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

There’s not enough shame in the universe.

Also I really need to stop reading WHTM when I get back up because insomnia.

Francesca Torpedo, Femoid Special Forces Major
Francesca Torpedo, Femoid Special Forces Major

I wish nonblack people would stop comparing every inconvenience or injustice in their lives to the experiences of black civil rights icons.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

Dudes were on Twitter like ‘How would you like it if we had a men’s only screening of Thor: Ragnarok or something?’, and everybody else was just ‘That movie doesn’t really call for all male viewing, but your prerogative’. They literally can’t imagine people not being equally outraged as they are by equally mundane shit…

PeeVee the (Timber-Rattling Booger Slut, But Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Timber-Rattling Booger Slut, But Noice) Sarcastic

WWTH, oh, God, that thread. I had forgotten just how truly vile and reprehensible NWO was and what a fucking whiny, sniveling little shit MRAL was.

Gijoel
Gijoel

Shouldn’t that sign in the Wonder Woman panel be in Koine?

Also the guys comparing themselves to Rosa Parks is laughable as they’d be the first to demand she sit at the bus.

Francesca Torpedo, Femoid Special Forces Major
Francesca Torpedo, Femoid Special Forces Major

@Axe

Reminds me of how some white people go “OMG WHAT IF THERE WAS LIKE A WHITE LIVES MATTER”.

As if there aren’t like 100+ white supremacist organizations that do just that, and even then it’s a false equivalency because there are tonnes of white people in BLM.

Lea
Lea

They just love to ignore women’s boundries, don’t they?

Whover is educating white dudes in history needs to improve their skills considerably.

Really? You’re just like a black woman who stood up to Jim Crow laws and armed police because you won’t stay out of a women’s only viewing of a movie you didn’t even want to see?

Power differentials, how the fuck do they work?

I can’t believe they haven’t compared it to a witchhunt or a lynching yet.

helix_luco
helix_luco

do these assholes sincerely believe their experiences compare to those of black people living under jim crow laws, or do they just think it’s a convenient bludgeon? i can’t decide which option is more reprehensible.

Nequam
Nequam

Shorter entire Twitter thread:

comment image

Francesca Torpedo, Femoid Special Forces Major
Francesca Torpedo, Femoid Special Forces Major

Quick daily reminder that Claudette Colvin was a black woman who get arrested for sitting in the front seats of a bus, but wasn’t publicized by the local civil rights leaders because she was darker in complexion and described as ‘loud’ and ‘feisty’. She was also pregnant as a teenager and therefore the NAACP had misgivings about publicizing her.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@Fran
The NAACP did make the correct choice. And how fuckin sad is that?

Fabe
Fabe

They’re like a child who when they find out the classmate they’ve been bullying is have a birthday party they say “I don’t want to go to your stupid party and the other kid says “Good because you’re not invited” the bully start acting like they’re being treated unfairly and demands to be invited.

Francesca Torpedo, Femoid Special Forces Major
Francesca Torpedo, Femoid Special Forces Major

@Axe

BIGLY sad.

Also, I’m dark-skinned and pretty feisty though not v. loud, sooo I guess this trash can is my new house now.

comment image

pic related, it’s me in my house

Bakunin
Bakunin

You know, looking at the panel David used as the title image, does anyone else think it seems odd? Why does Aphrodite have a law banning men? Shouldn’t it be Artemis’ Law? Any classicist mammotheers want to weigh in?

kupo
kupo

Right? Remember with Ghostbusters when they kept making the argument, “what if we took [movie cast with women] and rebooted it with all men?” and we were like, “that’s not really the same, because you already have that in 80% of the movies out there, but okay, knock yourself out”? They just don’t get it.

Robert Walker-Smith
Robert Walker-Smith

I’m one of the few people I know who actually belongs to an all-male group.

Two, if you count my family (two fathers, two sons). I’m​ also a Mason. This society/culture does not suffer from a lack of male-only spaces. In some areas, it may be suffering from a surfeit. I don’t think that these cholmondeleys would be welcome at my lodge, because constant carping about Deez Wimmins is considered conduct unbecoming. In fact, none of the brothers has ever expressed misogynistic sentiments in my hearing.

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

@Robert

B-b-but Masons (and Jews) are responsible for the gynocracy !

So there, gotcha.

Bina

@Bakunin:

Yes, it should be Artemis…and would make more sense, too, if Wonder Woman’s muggle name was Diana Prince, since Diana was Artemis’s Roman analogue. No idea why Aphrodite was in charge there, but hey! Even love goddesses gotta have their space from time to time, I guess.

numerobis
numerobis

I’m in all-male spaces all the time.

Often we’re plotting to build some wonderful thing that everyone in the world will love and it’ll make millions, and I look around and go: oops. We did it again. All white men. Trying to build something for the world.

Valentine
Valentine

Honestly, i dont understand how this people can be so angry about this. Nothing taken from them. They can still see wonder woman, they can even take their wife or girlfriend (not that they probably in a relationship). Do they get angry when women have women only football team? Or do they complain when women try to ask for mixed team? Cos seem like this way to me! One day they complain women coming to ‘male spaces’ and taking work of men, then next day they complain women having their own space not for men. Херня.

Honesty they just want control women and keep them in very specific place and that all. But they cant say that so they just complaining when women do anything. Because if they realise women are actual human beings who can make a choices then maybe their head will explode.

Gnome de plume
Gnome de plume

Goddamn, so many comedy geniuses all coming up with this one witty rejoinder on their own, to whom do we award the Trophy For Unassailable Wisdom

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@Fran

I guess this trash can is my new house now

comment image

@kupo

Like, can I just say I’d totally watch a remake of Charlie’s Angels where the angels were dudes? Cos I would…

The Real Cie

“For fuck’s sake, take a deep breath and think about what you’re getting so mad about. A few screenings for women, you gigantic crybaby.”
Thank you, Patrick Smith.

Fujimoto
Fujimoto

The longer I live and experience things, the more female-only spaces seem essential. Especially if trans women are welcome too. Sometimes I really cannot feel comfortable around men if I don’t know they’re familiar with feminism. Conversely, majority-female groups put me at ease.

Francesca Torpedo, Femoid Special Forces Major
May 28, 2017 at 7:05 pm

I was checking to see if anyone mentioned Colvin. Thanks for doing so. I was reading about her recently for my African American history class.

PeeVee the (Timber-Rattling Booger Slut, But Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Timber-Rattling Booger Slut, But Noice) Sarcastic

Word.

Aulma Frendzar Dèdd
Aulma Frendzar Dèdd

What annoys me the most is that the right wing media is trying to sell this story as “feminists going insane over a man buying a ticket”.
I saw a few tweets by irritated women but no one “losing their minds” over this.

On the other side the reaction from men was pretty strong but of course the rw media is never going to address THAT.

Oh and Hello everyone! I’m new here. 🙂

Tosca, Chaos made Flesh
Tosca, Chaos made Flesh

“Men being excluded from a limited-time event in a private venue, is exactly the same as the systemic oppression of an entire race enforced with the full might of the state and extensive vigilante action!”

Your logical fallacy is False Equivalence, dudes. Holy shit.

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

Welcome, Aulma!

Ooglyboggles

@Aulma Frendzar Dèdd
Welcome! Be sure to check out the WeHuntedTheMammoth welcom package.

Haise, the husky puppy
Haise, the husky puppy

These types of guys complain when women have their own spaces and then complain when women are in “their” spaces. It’s not even a big thing, it’s temporary in select theaters. How ~~~”’revolutionary””~~ for them to buy tickets to an event just to spite women because they’re women.

comment image

NickNameNick
NickNameNick

It’s a joy to see Kumail Nanjiani mock these assholes.

Other than that: this kind of behavior makes me ashamed to be a cis-het white guy – it really, really does.

Not being catered to in every instance is easily the most petty “first world problem” imaginable. Safe spaces or a women-only screening of Wonder Woman are minute in comparison to all the media and institutions that largely cater to cis-het white guys, yet they’ll act as if those things don’t exist the moment they hear about some group or venue not being open to them. They never seem to consider that they’re taking all those things for granted and the reason for that is because their being catered more than any other group is basically the norm. It’s almost as if they’re so untroubled and bored in their lives that the moment they can self-victimize about a perceived sleight to their existence, they won’t shut the fuck up about it.

It wouldn’t be surprising if these were the same kind of people who’d demand that a domestic abuse shelter for women should also allow men, despite the fact it’s women-only for good reason. Will they put in any effort to, say, starting a domestic abuse shelter for men? That rarely seems to be the case – they simply assume it should be others, feminists especially, who should do all the heavy-lifting while they just sit around and ironically complain about others being lazy.

I can’t help but want to yell at them: Get. The. Fuck. Over. Your. Selves.

Other people have the right, to varying degrees, to associate with who they want and no group is obligated to invite you in just ’cause. It isn’t like there aren’t thousands of other places that you can saunter into and feel welcome the moment you enter. This weird need to be invited into gatherings where they aren’t allowed comes off as an incredibly petulant form of entitlement. It’s less about having a genuine interest in being part of these groups, than it is about being validated by others who you assume should be subservient to your needs and wants at all times.

1 2 3 7