alt-right empathy deficit entitled babies irony alert literal nazis oppressed white men racism YouTube

Racist YouTuber JonTron is even more racist than people already thought he was

Well, he’s already got the uniform

So another YouTube videogamer dude with a ludicrously enormous number of subscribers has started talking like a Nazi.

Jon “JonTron” Jafari built up his fanbase — he’s got more than 3 million subscribers on YouTube — with videos big on jokes and light on politics. But in recent months he’s started talking politics, and of course, this being 2017, it turns out that his politics are pretty terrible Trumpian/alt-right garbage.

Dude, take another look at the picture you just posted. The Founding Fathers wore leggings and powdered wigs. I don’t think a man wearing a pink hat would really faze them. But I digress.

Even some of his most devoted fans began to worry a little when, late in January, JonTron appeared on a 5-hour livestream with reactionary YouTube blabber Carl of Swindon Sargon of Akkad and basically came out as an alt-right fellow traveller.

This Sunday he managed to top even this with a surreal two-hour online debate with fellow YouTube videogamer dude Destiny. It did not go well for him, debate-wise, and over the course of the debate he revealed just how much of a racist idiot he really is.

In the JonTron subreddit, because of course there is such a thing, most of his fans seem to be a bit alarmed by his terrible opinions; he’s also lost more than 10,000 YouTube subscribers.

One industrious Redditor transcribed a number of JonTron’s more, well, colorful statements. Here are a few of them. (I haven’t gone back and checked these against the video because, well, life is short, but I believe these are mostly accurate.)

• “Wealthy blacks … commit more crime than poor whites, that’s a fact.”
  • “What is so offensive about white people saying they’d like to preserve their demographic majority?”
  • “It’s clear that whites are not allowed to speak up against their demographic um… oblivion.”
  • “[Whites] are not being killed, they’re being displaced. You are the same guy who says that Europeans displaced the native Americans but apparently, when other people do it to white Americans, it’s okay because fuck white people.”
  • “Why is it when the chinese were trying to colonise tibet, why was that a save tibet situation but when it’s white people… I’m using an analogy to try to give a parallel situation so you can see the hypocrisy.”
  • “There is an absolute disproportionate of crime committed to whites by nonwhites. There’s no arguing that, that’s just FBI statistics. But white people are not allowed to address this because it’s called racist by people like you.”
  • “I don’t recall Trump ever saying anything explicitly racist.”
  • “Nobody wants to become a minority in their own country. Why is it bad if they (whites) remain a majority?”
  • “Not all Mexicans are going to go on welfare but a lot of them are going to commit crimes. The El Salvadoreans are going to create the MS13 gangs.”
  • “These days the confederate flag has been banned, they’re burning american flags in the streets. … And I think immigration policies that haven’t been the smartest are partially to blame for that.”
  • “We’ve gotten rid of discrimination in our western countries. If you don’t think we’ve gotten rid of discrimination, you’re living in a fantasy land.”
  • “This oppression in America, it doesn’t exist.”

Though JonTron likes to present himself as a champion of Truth and Reason, most of these are alleged truths are not in fact true, and most of his opinions are decidedly unreasonable. Adding to the surreality: the earnest defender of all things white is himself half Iranian.

I think this calls for the infinite facepalm.

If god forbid you want to listen to the whole damn debate, you can find it here, all 2 hours of it.

I tried to find a watchable video with some excerpts in it, to no avail; the only ones that did contain actual clips tended to be by pasty white dudes more or less defending JonTron.

This video doesn’t have any clips in it, but it summarizes the whole JonTron mess in a relatively non-annoying way, which is really the best you can hope for on YouTube.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

The only good thing that could come out of this is a new HBomb video.

Herbert West
Herbert West

Technically Iranians are “aryans”, so it’s not that far out.
Not that most racists care.

Dan Hoan

Not mentioned here, but he is of Iranian descent, (I believe his father is an Iranian immigrant) so the people he supports would walk over his dead body to keep this country “pure.”

Also, can we start calling people out who claim that homogeneity has led to the great empires of the world. Its so untrue, and whenever anyone is arguing with these fools, no one pushes back on them with the facts.

Dan Hoan

Opps it is mentioned here. Get it together with your reading comprehension, lady.

Dan Kasteray
Dan Kasteray

Maybe this isn’t just me, but does this asshole actually own a Nazi costume?

Ooglyboggles

You should check his youtube metrics dropping like a stone. Also in a fit of irony he shut down his subreddit because he couldn’t handle the fact that alot of his fans actually don’t like fascists.

Lady_Zombie
Lady_Zombie

I’m with Scented. Bring on a new Hbomb video! Sometimes it’s just better to openly mock and giggle at these dudes rather than seriously rebut them, because all that does is grant their bullshit legitimacy. Hbomb has even said that in the past; that he wondered if he should address their claims, but then he came to the conclusion that all he can do is laugh at all the skullmen on Youtube.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

The El Salvadoreans are going to create the MS13 gangs.

If people want to poke fun at old sci-fi movies I don’t see how that’s a threat?

Fruitloopsie
Fruitloopsie

Pewdiepie, markiplier and now this a**hole.

Peanutbuttergamer, Projared and Cryaotic. Don’t fail me now.

Lady_Zombie
Lady_Zombie

What did markiplier do?

Fallout Troy

From the video: “virtue signalling is a term that assholes use to make people feel bad for having empathy”.

@Fruitloopsie
What did Markiplier do?

EDIT:NInja’d

Fallout Troy

What did markiplier do?

He’s Pewdiepie’s friend and he defended him a little bit during the (in my opinion wholly justified) backlash against him.

It’s not as bad as Pewdiepie’s behaviour and not surprising, but it still sucks.

FrickleFrackle
FrickleFrackle

Fuckin, Sarjon of ECHad, man. He’s legitimately hilarious in his videos and now all this? Bleh, fuck him.

Maximilán (they/them)
Maximilán (they/them)

@Scented Fucking Hard Chairs . I can’t wait for the HBom vid. He “loves” Sargon too, and probably sustains himself on alt-right nonsense. Love that man.

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

Y’know, for whatever reason, I never liked most gaming youtubers ’cause I actually operated under the assumption that they were racist asses.

I have no clue where I could’ve got that idea so long ago, but now I know that it’s true. And I’m getting the weirdest, strongest déjà-vu of my life.

Of course this is happening just when the industry at large is starting to make some real progress, so I think it’s super important to adress their bullshit, if only to make said industry aware that any attempt at pandering to gators and fascists based on popular youtubers’ opinions is not gonna go well.

@Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
Speaking of which TotalBiscuit with his chronic dickhole behaviors decided to defend Jontron on his nazi antics. This asshole was the biggest propogator of GG and never took responsibility for it. Of course he would say something like this.

@Jesalin
“I mean I only wanted to make Trans Jim Crow Laws a thing. That doesn’t mean I’m a bigot.” If only every other bigoted governor and poltician got the same treatment.

Jesalin
Jesalin

OT (but I found it kind of amusing):

Former NC Gov. Who Passed Anti-Trans Law Can’t Find Work Because People Think He’s A Bigot

“People are reluctant to hire me, because, ‘Oh my gosh, he’s a bigot,’ which is the last thing I am,” he said on Christian news site WORLD’s Listening In podcast.

*dies laughing*

But he’s not afraid to cast himself as a victim either, as when he told Listening In host Warren Smith, “[It’s] almost Orwellian that if you disagree with the politically correct thought police on this new definition of gender you’re a bigot, you’re the worst of evil. It’s almost as though I broke a law…It’s a bad part of our nation going on right now. You see the same techniques going on against Trump right now.”

Jedgar
Jedgar

I don’t understand this quote. Native Americans got killed A LOT. It’s a massive atrocity. And the ones that got displaced were forced into Indian Territory by the government, the Trail of Tears is just one of the best known times.

(I know the quote doesn’t make sense bc it’s racist trash but usually I can see the logic they’re trying to use)

Terrabeau
Terrabeau

I remember when a former friend showed me some Jontron videos as an example of a “reasonable” Gamergator. Well well, look how that turned out.

Gaebolga
Gaebolga

Yeah, somehow I kind of doubt that’s actually happening. It sounds more like he’s applying for Wingnut Welfare – aka, getting a bunch of dumb-ass conservatives to give him lots of money and shit.

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

@Oogly

“I just wanna play games, not hear about politics !”

@Jesalin

Read about that yesterday and laughed my ass off.

Seriously, I mean, the dude is actually whining about not having access to crank welfare anymore.

That’s some bulletproof irony right there.

ETA : ninja’d by Gaebolga, but please mind the comments policy. “Crank welfare” is the viable alternative that I personally use, but if you’ve got a better one I’m listening.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@Gaebolga

applying for Wingnut Welfare

Comments policy. Thanks

Edit: ninjad by John

@Jesalin

Yes. Yes you are. Enjoy the free market avoiding you like the plague, asshole 😁

Rafael

And some of his fellow YouTubers (Totalbiscuit/Boogie) are coming up to his defense, or more to the point, they are defending themselves as fellow travellers. Sad, really sad!

Viscaria, product of 20,000 evolution
Viscaria, product of 20,000 evolution

First, this:

Then, this:

There is no discrimination in Western nations, but the US belongs to white people. Yeah, checks out, you Nazi prick.

Gaebolga
Gaebolga

@ Sinkable Jon & Axecalibur:

My bad; I’ve heard the term before and just repeated it.

I’ll use crank welfare from here on out.

@Raphael
At least boogie retracted his statement after /r gamerghazi called him out on it and apologized on twitter. TB is still the same unapologetic prick as ever.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

The comparison of immigration to colonization is the latest right wing talking point that I fear is going mainstream. My normally liberal aunt trotted it out a couple of weeks ago. It’s a little scary.

Monzach
Monzach

I just hope that Minx doesn’t defend JonTron like she did with PewDiePie. 🙁 She’s one of my favorite YouTubers to watch but I can acknowledge that she has some extremely problematic views, which she thankfully doesn’t mention in her videos (I follow her on Twitter).

To be honest, I used to watch JonTrons videos a while back, before GG became a thing (just like I occasionally watched TotalBiscuit’s stuff), but I haven’t been on his channel in a long, long time. Never could stomach Pewds, though. His antics were always annoying to me, never funny.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

I like “Wanker Welfare.” Fits the rhythm better.

Rafael
Reply to  Ooglyboggles

@Ooglybogles Did he retract his latest video? I gotta see that. I mean, I think the reason why they are defending him is twofold:

1) We are geeks and geeks get picked on, so we have to stand up for ourselves (victimhood 101),

2) He is a fellow traveller so any criticism (not attack but criticism) is a criticism of us.

Kereea
Kereea

Technically pink was considered a masculine color for years as it was derivative of red so yeah, pink hats in those dude’s day would have been perfectly manly.

Rafael

@weirwoodtrehugger: chief manatee

It shows a real fear that what they (or their ancestors) did to others will be done to them.

@raphael
Now if he made an apology video and does not side with those concern trolling repliers it would be more impactful and feel more sincere.

I never understood those geek social fallacies. Then again I never was really good at making friends so the concepts of loyalty are lost on me.

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

So this is quickly becoming my pet peeve, but have any of those oh-so-glorious representatives of the youtube gaming community talked about Horizon ZD ? This is one of the fever swamps where I don’t tread because ESL hearing comprehension isn’t all that great and these guys don’t exactly make the effort to be intelligible for foreign listeners, so I don’t really know.

Last I heard (from our very own Handsome Jack), the point seemed to be that evil SJWs ruined it, RUINED IT I SAY ! But that seemed to be more from your common garden variety gator than the big channels with lots of subscribers. Any news on that front ?

@Gaebolga

Easy mistake to make and you’re not the first one. There’s a lot of that in most of the language used to criticize those fucks (though it seems kinda self-defeating to me) so you end up internalizing it even though you wanna avoid it.

It’s tricky for me, to be fair, ’cause sometimes I can’t spot the references to mental illness because ESL. Like with anything that ends in “nut”, until I figured out what it meant. So yeah, not gonna throw that stone.

ETA : @SFHC

Ooh good find ! It just rolls off the tongue, I love it.

Anne Lewis, Jib Creatr
Anne Lewis, Jib Creatr

Me watching JonTron’s descent into Nazi-dom:

OT:

The nonprofit run by one of America’s most prominent white nationalists, Richard Spencer, has lost its tax-exempt status for failing to file tax returns with the federal government, according to Internal Revenue Service records.

Rafael
Reply to  Ooglyboggles

Thank you for the link. Will check it out.

Kobun37
Kobun37

Not sure about YouTube, but I’ve noticed plenty of whiny manbabies on various gaming message boards and reviews of Horizon Zero Dawn. Having just finished the game myself, I really enjoyed it and it was refreshing to see a game so full of varied ethnicities with both male and female important characters. The characters don’t see it as an issue. There even a minor quest where you help a male character mourning the death of a male partner with his grief.

Of course, the pearl clutching gamergater assholes and racist fucksticks don’t see it that way.

Ran across this article that does a pretty good job of pointing out what’s wrong with their arguments, though.

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

Huh, this is new. One of Rafael’s comments seems to be drifting up, not down. I’m not the only one seeing it, am I ?

@Sinkable
Yep his posts are floating up. Same on my phone and computer.

Austin Loomis

I’d suggest “right-wing welfare”, as referring purely to their politics without any discussion of their mental state.

Topic-adjacent: I played a role in getting someone banned from the alternatehistory.com forums over the weekend. He was spouting gator alternative-facts on “Massively Multiplayer: Gaming in the New Millennium” (the sequel to the SNES-CD timeline “Player Two Start”):

While there were sexist assholes in Gamergate that wasn’t the purpose of the movement. That’s the problem about an open hashtag like #Gamergate. There’s nothing to stop assholes from using it.

I naturally replied with a link to RationalWiki’s “List of Gamergate claims” (and specific links to where RW debunks “Gamergate isn’t misogynistic” and “Harassers don’t represent Gamergate”). OP, having apparently never learned the first rule of getting out of a hole, called for more shovels:

I wouldn’t call Rational Wiki a credible source when it comes to politically charged topics like this. Not to mention that Zoe Quinn’s so called “forum for victims of online harassment” is in fact, a group of hypocritical online harassers. Not to mention that Zoe confessed to cheating on Eron in a text message.

At which point the head mod dropped the million-pound banhammer on him. As I said on my tumblr, I didn’t ask for it, and I’m still not sure it’s what I wanted, but it’s probably what I needed. And how was your weekend?

Dalillama: Irate Social Engineer

Um, no, you nincompoop, Europeans killed the living fuck out of the indigenous populations. Like, with guns and centuries of genocidal warfare.

Nobody wants to become a minority in their own country.

Funny how you don’t care about the Lakota saying that, mate.

@Sinkable John

but if you’ve got a better one I’m listening.

The Dipshit Dole?

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

@Kobun37

(sorry, saw your post too late and then edit window ran out on me)

That diversity as you describe it is becoming a pretty common thing in most modern games I’ve had my hands on in the last 2-3 years, but I think Horizon actually goes farther than that. It often makes a pretty strong point about several kinds of bigotry, usually through Aloy’s smart-mouth vs bigots (like, the side-quest you mention, when she calls the priest out on his “tantrum, [his] cry for attention” – incidentally, I’ve mentioned it here before).

In my opinion that’s how it goes above and beyond – it doesn’t stop at not being full of shit, it actually gets pretty political about it. Instead of going the “world-building without bigotry” route, they went with a world that has bigotry and made a point of the main character fighting it.

I’ma stop here ’cause I don’t wanna waltz into spoiler territory. But my point is, those “SJW quests” in Bioware games ? HZD feels to me like it’s entirely made up of those. Even the main storyline, considering that the people you’re going up against are basically fanatics who are super pissed about their religion and culture going “soft” and abolishing slavery and blood sacrifices.

Like, the main villains are literally just a bunch of reactionary assholes. That automatically earns all the points in my book.

(yes, I know it’s a bit more complicated, but I gotta avoid spoilers and to be fair while I didn’t give the whole picture, the parts I did give are absolutely accurate and correct)

(also I need to stop talking about that game at some point, and just get to writing it a love letter or something)

@Dali

You just taught me a new English word AND the perfect phrase in which to place it. I love it.

*walks off while mumbling “dipshit dole” and “wanker welfare” repeatedly*

GenJones
GenJones

@ Viscaria- I recently came across a similar dispute of racial prejudice on a quora response on the topic of feeling white privilege where a white man was pulled over by a friendly cop, and then later that evening witnessed a profound change in his demeanor when he was a passenger with his black and Mexican friends and they were pulled over by the exact same cop. The officer was aggressive and kept a hand on his gun, but visibly relaxed the instant he shined his flashlight in the car and saw his scared, confused white face. That had been his awakening when he remarked how that experience was so outside his norm and his friends just laughed. Then he realized that these seemingly unicorn bad cops he’d never met were the exact same ones he’d considered counter examples.

This other person replying said something to the effect of: “Well, of course a cop has reason to be suspicious if a minority strays outside their designated racial underclass zones to a nice white neighborhood. They might be there to steal! That doesn’t mean racism is a factor!”

Reasoning with people like that seems like a lost cause.

After this campaign my own family has become unrecognizable. My grandparents have been hitting the Fox news koolaid hard and drifting farther to the right these past 15 years. At a recent family gathering politics came up, and my mother remarked that it should be a concern for both parties that so many white supremacists support him, which she felt was a diplomatic statement everyone could safely agree on.

Her father turned to her and said, “So?What’s wrong with white supremacists?”

They used to be decent people, or at least so I thought. Maybe they were always that way. I don’t think I can consider them family anymore.

leftwingfox
leftwingfox

The Dipshit Dole?

Oh, I like that one.

Laugher at Bigots, Mincing Betaboy

For non-ableist synonyms for “wingnut welfare”, I have a few suggestions:

Hater handouts
The media-idiot complex
I’ll second “dipshit dole”

The comparison of immigration to colonization would be valid, if immigrants came here with their armies and their foreign diseases and slaughtered us wholesale (which xenophobes already believe, now that I think about it).

Paradoxical Intention: Resident Cheeseburger Slut

*heavy sigh*

It’s a bad time to be a game LPer. Not that I’m a huge one, but shit.

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden | March 15, 2017 at 11:26 am

Funny story: Jim Sterling got his site DDOSed for giving Breath of the Wild a 7/10, instead of a perfect score.

I came across a wild fanboi whining (at someone else asking that people respect Jim’s opinion on a game that he said he liked as a whole despite the specific things he didn’t. Repeatedly.) that Jim gave HZD (a game that this fanboi was whining about as being “bad” because something something “mediocrity”) a 9.5/10, and thus he had “no merit”.

I actually wasted my time typing up a long comment telling him how fucking silly that was and why.

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement

Well, time’s turned over and your turn’s done
And all of your past bridges have been wrecked
Eventually your number of supporters will be none
No matter how many times you’ve ECHed.

1 2 3 5