#gamergate a woman is always to blame antifeminism crackpottery evil sexy ladies evil SJWs imaginary oppression men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny MRA no girls allowed oppressed men rape culture reddit

Any woman in tech could be a false-accusing feminist honey trap, addled open source guru warns

... she might be a secret feminist honey trap trying to frame you!!11!
… she might be a secret feminist honey trap trying to frame you!!11!

I can’t even.

I’ve been tracking misogynistic ridiculousness on this blog for five years, but I’m not sure I ‘ve ever run across anything quite as ridiculous as this.

A prominent Open Source guru, Eric Raymond, is warning tech dudes to be extra super duper careful around their female colleagues, because any one of them could turn out to be a secret feminist “honey trap” aiming to frame men in tech with false allegations of harassment or rape.

In a blog post earlier this week, Raymond passed along what he called a “disturbing warning … from a source I trust.”

His anonymous source warned him that it was no longer safe for men in tech to mentor women, or even be in the same room with them. “I’m super careful about honey traps,” the source wrote.

For a while, that’s how the Ada Initiative was trying to pre-generate outrage and collect scalps.

That’s right; according to this mysterious source the now-defunct Ada Initiative wasn’t actually a non-profit trying to bring more women into the open source world; it was a secret army of false-accusing honey-trap sex commandos, or something.

“The MO was to get alone with the target, and then immediately after cry ‘attempted sexual assault,'” the source wrote, adding that these devious sex harpies disguised as female programmers had already “made multiple runs” at Linux creator Linus Torvalds.

Naturally, faced with a set of outlandish accusations offered with zero proof, Raymond did what any rational, skeptical, scientifically minded man would do: he posted them on his blog and warned men that even being in the general vicinity of a woman at a tech conference was like playing with a loaded false accusation gun, or something.

[I]f you are any kind of open-source leader or senior figure who is male, do not be alone with any female, ever, at a technical conference. Try to avoid even being alone, ever, because there is a chance that a “women in tech” advocacy group is going to try to collect your scalp.

He expressed outrage at the alleged attempts to sully Torvalds’ name.

If my source is to be believed (and I have found him both well-informed and completely trustworthy in the past) this was not a series of misunderstandings, it was a deliberately planned and persistent campaign to frame Linus and feed him to an outrage mob.

I have to see it as an an attempt to smear and de-legitimize the Linux community (and, by extension, the entire open-source community) in order to render it politically pliable.

Will those sexy feminazi sex hyenas stop at nothing?

Linus hasn’t spoken out about this; I can think of several plausible and good reasons for that.

Apparently “because it’s not true” isn’t one that Raymond thought of.

Even though “the Ada Initiative shut down earlier this year,” Raymond went on warn that the danger will likely persist as long as evil SJWs live and breathe.

[T]his report is consistent with reports of SJW dezinformatsiya tactics from elsewhere and I think it would be safest to assume that they are being replicated by other women-in-tech groups.

And any women who are unhappy that they are being lumped in with these devious honey traps can go fuck themselves, because you ladies brought all this on yourself with your talk of rape culture and all that. And yes, he uses the word “ladies.”

Don’t like that, ladies? Tough. You were just fine with collective guilt when the shoe was on the other foot. Enjoy your turn!

Oh, and then Raymond says that in light of this irrefutable evidence of feminazi infiltration conspiracy theory utterly lacking in proof of any kind and frankly ludicrous to boot, he’s going to apply the skepticism he should have shown his mysterious source’s wild tale to actual accusations of sexual assault leveled at men in tech.

Naturally, the extended manosphere is abuzz with talk of this vast sexy conspiracy. Breitbart Tech breathlessly reported that “FEMINISTS ARE TRYING TO FRAME LINUS TORVALDS FOR SEXUAL ASSAULT, CLAIMS OPEN SOURCE INDUSTRY VETERAN.”

“If true,” Breitbart’s Allum Bokhari declared,

these claims will rock the world of software development, not to mention the wider tech community, which is suffering under the yoke of diversity campaigners levelling bogus charges of sexism at companies and individuals and pestering companies to improve their diversity credentials.

Discontent at the behaviour of feminists in tech has already been spreading in the open source community thanks to the feminist-led introduction of controversial codes of conduct for developers on some open source projects. But these new claims elevate feminists in tech from the controversial to the potentially criminal.

“If true,” claims that monkeys are flying out of my butt would rock the world of monkeys, not to mention the wider butt community.

Concluding his article, Bokhari wonders why

other tech news outlets – normally champing at the bit to report on diversity issues – have so far been curiously silent on this story. Breitbart Tech is, thus far, the exception.

Maybe because these tech news outlets prefer to write about, you know, tech news and not the fever dreams of misogynistic conspiracy theorists?

On Reddit, meanwhile, the usual suspects are doing what they usually do. KotakuInAction, the main Gamergate hub on Reddit, the Breitbart story drew more than 2600 upvotes, last I checked; on the Men’s Rights subreddit it garnered nearly a thousand.

And people wonder why women don’t feel welcome in tech? Maybe it has something to do with the fact that tech bigwigs like Raymond literally think every woman in their general vicinity is a potential “honey trap” out to steal his “scalp” if not his precious bodily fluids.

davidknewton
davidknewton

“…from a source I trust.”

“Myself”.

davidgerard

ESR is a great man of immense knowledge and ability who’s done amazing and wide-ranging things to make the world a better place. He also went completely off the deep end after 9/11 and should be ignored as absolutely hard as possible on any subject that isn’t the details of computer programming. A case study in non-transferable expertise.

Dan Kasteray
Dan Kasteray

My bet is that Raymond is a rapist. You don’t spend your life worrying about false rape accusations unless you’re already a garbage human being. Sort of like how thieves are paranoid everyone wants to steal from them.

At best his identify is so fragile the idea of equality makes him question everything about himself and his privileges. And you’ve seen how well the privileged handle simple things like equality

Ersatz Haderach
Ersatz Haderach

Clearly, this is a joint operation between Microsoft, Apple, and social justice types to destroy free open source software, as they feel threatened by Linux’s %1.8 share in the desktop and laptop usage category.

mockingbird
mockingbird

When I was working in AV (admittedly probably the most blue-collar sphere of tech), about 1/3 of my colleagues treated me with automatic disdain (fun times: walking onto a showroom floor, walking around for a bit and getting shot down or dismissed by every rep, and then walking back to check-in to get another tag with my certs listed after my name), about 1/3 treated me with a slightly uncomfortable amount of fawning attention (…though these were sometimes the same people from the first group after I passed whatever gatekeeping criteria they’d mentally erected), and about 1/3 treated me as another human being (allowed my skills to speak for themselves, didn’t assume that a knowledge gap or a screw-up was indicative of general incompetence or a result of my congenitally deficient ladybrainz, etc).

To be fair, there may have been some protectiveness on the part of some of the latter, but I was relatively young and a few of them – including an absolutely wonderful boss – spent a good amount of time fuming over my treatment by the first subset.
Some might think that it was benign sexism (“I SHALL PROTECT HER!”), but it honestly just helped assure me that I wasn’t imagining things or being irrationally oversensitive.

Leda Atomica
Leda Atomica

If you are this occupied with ‘false rape accusations’ there has got to be some reason for that. And as a scientist he should have figured out that reason is not the rampant nature of false rape accusations.

It’s amazing how anyone can fool themselves so much. And scary how many are willing to believe anything without evidence, as long as it suits their personal issues.

Also, isn’t it telling that all threats from feminist they can come up with are IMAGINARY.

kupo
kupo

As a feeeemale programmer, I’ve been getting a vibe that this is exactly how the men in the industry view me, or at least a good chunk of them. Thankfully I haven’t gotten this vibe from anyone I work with, but I’m always worried I’ll end up getting harassed in some way and then be stuck trying to figure out whether it’s worth it to report. And even whether I’ll be taken seriously if I do. I’ve already ignored plenty of subtle sexism and racism because I know it wasn’t overt or intentional, and there wasn’t immediate harm to point to as a reason to report. I get serious anxiety over this. The one time I did report sexual harassment I was treated like I was just trying to make waves because it wasn’t intended that way by the other individual. Thankfully I don’t work there any more, but that kind of stuff really makes me feel like I’m not safe in this industry.

loquora

Not one week ago our brilliant but socially weak developer lead told a woman in our department (who was there to help him with a coding language he didn’t know but figured he could code in anyway) “Good girl!” before literally patting her on the head. All that for fixing what he screwed up. I admire that she didn’t tell him where to shove it. I was tempted to, and I wasn’t even involved in their conversation. And this is just the most recent in a veritable torrent of gross, sexist behavior I’ve witnessed in my years working in tech. Yet somehow almost every man I ever meet in tech is either clueless to it “I’ve never seen anything like that…” or more unfortunately, like the above.

Ghost Robot
Ghost Robot

Breitbart is rapidly turning into Infowars with a slightly less horrid layout. I strongly believe they’re going to regret hitching their wagon to Yianniopoulos and GamerGate in the long run.

Nop
Nop

I wonder if this is a pre-emptive strike, as he creeped on a close friend of mine’s partner recently at an event.

Viscaria
Viscaria

Breitbart Tech is, thus far, the exception

Yes, how strange. What possible earthly reason could Breitbart be the only outlet interested in sharing these completely uncorroborated reports of evil women using sex to destroy men? It’s probably a conspiracy of some kind!

mockingbird
mockingbird

@kupo – There was one time a male coworker apparently said something incredibly crass about me when I wasn’t in the room. Another male coworker filed a complaint against him for it.
As an indicator of how extreme his comment was: This was a pretty rough and tumble environment conversationally – mostly guys, mostly young (under 40), and either techie or bro-tech. There was *a lot* of shit talk, * a lot* of “commentary inappropriate to a workplace environment”, but that was the atmosphere. Everyone gave and got and it was fun overall, but this comment apparently silenced the room.

…and I made it die.
I needed the job to finish my degree (it paid for 12 credits a year) and I didn’t want to make waves. I figured that pursuing the matter would turn half of the guys against me.

Turned out I was sort of right – I was blamed for the fact that a complaint was filed at all by that half of the guys. It made moving on once I had my degree an easier decision.

I mean, how do you win in that circumstance?
You’re not standing up for yourself and are signalling that it’s acceptable if you ignore it or brush it off, but acting on it churns up a toxic mess.

Tabby Lavalamp

I admire your ability to believe that Breitbart has the ability to regret anything they’ve done in the years they’ve been around. I doubt the word “regret” is even in their dictionary. The pages with that and “shame” have been torn out and used as toilet paper in the office restrooms.

BinjBreel
BinjBreel

This smacks of “I’m a serial harasser and so in love with my own intelligence I’m incapable of accepting that not everything I think is true”.

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

mockingbird, kupo, that’s awful. Please accept hugs and feelings of solidarity (or kind thoughts and feelings of solidarity if touchphobic.)

Jeff K
Jeff K

He’s creeped on a friend of mine as well at at a local convention, that was many years ago. Eric’s a bright guy, it’s too bad he hasn’t embraced feminism instead of fearing imaginary women. Perhaps it’s really a fantasy?

Tulse
Tulse

I’m not terribly surprised — the open source community, and especially its leaders, seem to be made up of a significant number of libertarian cranks and misogynous whackadoodles.

Fnoicby
Fnoicby

What? Why? To what end? Motive, people!

Excuse me, what now? I suspect this is the crime of Existing While Female.

As a woman in tech I’m proud that my little niche community is generally very welcoming. The majority of men are excited to see a woman in a male dominated industry and eager to discuss our mutual profession. The sexism I have experienced has 100% of the time come from men who’ve demonstrated their skills to be inferior to mine. A pathetic attempt at levelling the playing field, they can always reassure themselves that men are always smarter!

Seconding the idea that Linus may be a serial sexual harasser/assaulter. Women don’t just make this stuff up out of thin air.

Mike
Mike

Sounds a bit like Richard Dawkins, as summed-up neatly in this handy flowchart:comment image

But anyway, has Linus Torvalds actually been accused of something recently? Or is his point just that allegedly, people are angling to accuse him of something eventually?

Binjabreel
Binjabreel

Huh, my first comment vanished.

Anyway, this guy sounds like those dudes I know who are incredibly intelligent, so they have zero capacity for recognizing when their own thoughts turn to shit. Like, just cause you thought it doesn’t make it true.

Also, seconding (thirding?) the feeling this is some preemptive strike. Torvald is a scumbag, and one of my favorite tech writes once said something even slightly critical of him, and his fanboys damn near harassed her off the internet.

In short? Fuck that guy, how much you wanna bet he’s actually a serial harassser?

Mike
Mike

That is, Raymond’s point re: Torvalds (sorry for awkward phrasing).

Karl
Karl

Calling ESR an “open source guru” is stretching things. He’s been a laughingstock of the open source world for a over decade (seriously, 10 years ago there was a comic called “Everybody Loves Eric Raymond” which poked fun at some of the stupid things he’s said.) His only real contribution to open source culture is The Cathedral And The Bazaar, which is an essay on how open source represents free market ideals better than closed source software.

His most noteworthy accomplishment is that he’s frequently mistaken for Richard Stallman.

This is just him revealing his true self to a wider audience.

ursadoublemajor

ESR went off the rails a while ago – no one with half a brain listens to him about anything other than coding. He snapped, and no longer experiences reality. Shame on Breitbart for exploiting a man who is not well.

darkstatistic

Call me what you will, but what are the odds this is someone trying to get out ahead of a legitimate complaint?

sn0rkmaiden

Hmm, is making conclusions on the basis of ‘If true…’ a terribly scientific way to operate?

Shalimar
Shalimar

comment image

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

Linus Torvalds has done plenty enough to de-legitimise his own community. Trust me, Captain Tin Foil, we don’t need to do it for him.

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

Linus Torvalds is notorious for being the poster boy of the narcissistic tech asshole. I can well believe that if someone walked into a group of a hundred tech fanatics and told them that rabid feminists were on their way to slander one of their number as a rapist and harasser, their first reaction would be “QUICK! FORM A HUMAN WALL AROUND LINUS!”

I’m just surprised that Theo de Raadt’s name hasn’t come up yet.

Fruitloopsie
Fruitloopsie

Kupo, mockingbird, Fnoicby and everyone who has been in similar situations hugs and kisses if you need them.

Fnoicby
“The sexism I have experienced has 100% of the time come from men who’ve demonstrated their skills to be inferior to mine. A pathetic attempt at levelling the playing field, they can always reassure themselves that men are always smarter!”

I think that’s what all this “women can’t do anything!” I keep hearing boils down to male insecurity. They seen women and girls do great things better than them so they make garbage up to make themselves feel better. So much for “men are loyal, compassionate and honorable!” I also keep hearing too.

I find it frustrating that these guys are probably the same ones who go around saying “men get raped too! What about us!?” Whenever rape on women/girls are mentioned but then they go around and complain about false accusations. Hello! women and girls get falsely accused too. I got falsely accused by guys, so has my mom, my grandma and few other women/girls I know. But we still never thought about being so paranoid and think all guys are false accusers and accuse them of lying, etc when something bad happens to them that’s falsely accusing itself and hypocritical.

I think it’s a good idea what Linus is saying YES PLEASE GO leave all of us alone stay in your homes or better yet move to an island where there are no people. Thanks.

Jarnsaxa
Jarnsaxa

I don’t get it, what would the benefit to the women be? 10 seconds of notoriety and getting blackballed by the industry as someone who’s narced on an employer? How is that a win?

This is an Underpants Gnome plan.

freemage

So I googled “Linus Torvalds sexual harassment”. I found… nothing but stories about this guy’s post, and the post itself. There’s lots of general criticism of Linux-related advertising, and the community being as misogynistic as you’d expect a sub-niche of the tech-geek world to be these days, but nothing about Torvalds personally.

If it weren’t for Eric Raymond, then, there would be no hints or rumors about this at all. Instead, he’s created exactly the sort of environment that would cause such rumors to occur.

lightcastle
lightcastle

I always thought the rap sheet on Linus was that he is a colossal asshole who thinks yelling at people is the best way to get things done. He may well be somewhat sexist on top of that, but sexual harassment and assault hasn’t been something I’ve heard about.

darkstatistic

(Note to self: Wait for all the comments to load before you weigh in with your brilliant commentary ’cause you’ll probably be about the sixth person to say it…)

Fruitloopsie
Fruitloopsie

comment image
:sigh: blockquote mammoth you win again.

Apologies Eric Raymond not Linus.

Arctic Ape
Arctic Ape

This seems to be just the sort of “tech news” that Breitbart Tech was launched for.

BTW, has Milo Yiannopoulos yet googled who Linus Torvalds is?

Fnoicby
Fnoicby

@fruitloopsie, exactly, it comes from insecurity. And in my experience these types of men have good reason to be insecure. I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve encountered a man in my line of work and been absolutely stunned by their lack of knowledge on some topic or another. In “Lean In” (for all its flaws), Sheryl Sandberg discusses how men will apply for a job if they feel like they’re 60% qualified, whereas women usually only apply if they think they’re 90% qualified. I definitely see that reflected in the workplace.

Jarnsaxa
Jarnsaxa

It could just be a case of projection on the part of the writer rather than Linus himself being the harasser, especially since we haven’t seen anything like this pop up on him previously.

Projection is a thing with these guys.

At the same time, probably best not to assume it.

joeperry
joeperry

with all those upvotes, no wonder that gamergate became a hotbed for rapists.

Fnoicby
Fnoicby

I guess it depends on whether there have been actual accusations against Linus, as the writer says. It never occurred to me the writer or others would make something like that up. But isn’t this a perfect example of how someone’s reputation can be destroyed…I and others, assuming this info came from Linus himself, assume there is likely something there if multiple women have accused him. Yet “feminists” are the ones out to ruin his rep? This wasn’t “out there” until the writer PUT it “out there”. What an idiot.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann

Linus sexually harrassing people is 100% credible, but I never had heard of that specific claim against him. Not all assholes are rapey assholes after all.

Of course, if someone have an actual case against him, I would be likely to agree with it, and hope for due process. I like what that guy have built, but that’s no protection from law in my book.

catmara

This story has been posted over on Pharyngula too. I posted a link there that some might find interesting– a recent interview with one of Linus Torvalds’s daughters. The contrast with esr’s… discharge could not be starker.

davidgerard

It’s important to note that, as far as anyone can tell, Linus Torvalds has literally nothing to do with this insane gibbering. His name is in the headline to clickbait.

Fruitloopsie
Fruitloopsie

Davidgerard

Don’t say “insane” that’s a ableist term.

I don’t get why people don’t read the comment policy.

ColeYote
ColeYote

And if it’s true that the moon is made of cheese, I’m legally entitled to a 10-acre estate in the French riviera. But it’s not true. And I’m not.

Unfortunately.

Trebez

I wish these dudes would decide whether I am, as a feminist, a repellent troll or a irresistible siren. Its very confusing.

Nop
Nop
Reply to  davidgerard

@davidgerard
You missed the bit in ESR’s paranoid rant where he suggested that Torvalds was the main target of his imaginary false-rape-accusers? (Not that I don’t agree that Torvalds is less credible as a sexual harasser than ESR himself.)

freemage

Jarnsaxa | November 5, 2015 at 10:46 am

Projection is a thing with these guys.

At the same time, probably best not to assume it.

Honestly, with things like this, I now operate under what I call the Hastert Rule*. If a pundit, or someone in a position of authority, makes an effort to downplay or ignore sexual harassment or abuse, there’s usually a reason for that effort. If they aren’t guilty of it themselves, it’s almost guaranteed that someone in their close circle is.

*: Named for Danny Hastert, former Speaker of the House, who left that office when he was caught up in a scandal because he failed to investigate charges that several other Republicans had been sexually harassing interns. Hastert was recently charged with deceptive practices relating to his efforts to pay off an unnamed individual without alerting the IRS. The open secret about the charge is that the payoff was because Hastert was involved in misconduct back when he was a high school wrestling coach, either molesting or having sex with one or more underage students.

KafkaNoMore
KafkaNoMore

I just typed Linus Torvalds into google and this Breitbart article is the second thing that comes up right after his wikipedia. “Feminists” and “sexual assault” is a real eye-catcher.

Is Raymond aware that it is him who linked Tovarlds with sexual assault, as there is no other story about this that pops up in the search results?

I don’t know how he can justify that, unless his source is Linus himself…

mockingbird
mockingbird

@EJ, Fruitloopsie – *hugs back*
It’s all water under the bridge for me now.
The biggest thing was that especially as a young woman who’s a bit unsure of herself (I got hired for a part time position mostly by geeking out during the interview and was hired to a full time position because I caught on quickly and thought that the work was fun) is that you start to feel like maybe your perception’s really off, maybe it really is just you .
A male coworker or two noticing and speaking up (even if it’s just to you to say, “Woah, what the fuck was that guy’s problem?”) makes all the difference in the world.

@Fnoicby – I’ve noticed, too, that most of the men in tech who are secure with their skill set and abilities are eager to work with, learn from, teach, and accept anyone regardless of gender.
Though I don’t constrain that to men with ABSOLUTE TECHNICAL MASTERY (if nothing else, tech’s too large and ever changing for someone to know everything), so perhaps I should amend that to say “secure with themselves”.
The BEST people that I’ve known in tech have just been excited to share their enthusiasm and knowledge with anyone who’ll listen.
Heck, that’s half of what attracted me to my husband 😀
And that’s why I’m so deeply disappointed (I used to also be surprised, but not anymore) when assholery manifests in the tech sector.

This stuff is supposed to be fun!
It’s exciting!
You get to tinker and discover and mold and create!
With code or with solder, you can use your knowledge and wits to make something new exist or turn something that had been a pile of nonsense into a something that works and does!

But I guess people are going to be people and get tribal about things.

Paul Cavanaugh
Paul Cavanaugh

Raymond sounds like a rational guy and is probably right.

1 2 3 4