Uncategorized

Umpqua Community College shooter apparently announced his plans on 4chan yesterday

Police inspecting bags of students at Umpqua Community College after the shooting today

UPDATE: The shooter has been identified as 26-year-old Chris Harper-Mercer. Rumors spread earlier in the day that the shooter was a a regular 4channer and active Youtuber known as “the eggman.” Obviously they were wrong.

This is beyond fucked up. In this archived thread from 4chan’s /r9k/ board, the apparent shooter at Umpqua Community College told fellow channers yesterday of his plans to shoot up a school today. He didn’t specify which school, mentioning only that it was in the “northwest.” /r9k/ is a board heavily populated by so-called “incels,” and the media is reporting that the apparent shooter regularly posted bitter complaints about his lack of success with women,

UPDATE 2: There is a lot of confusing and contradictory information out there, and the IDing of the killer has actually raised more questions than it’s resolved. An apparent Myspace page for Harper-Mercer suggests that he was obsessed both with guns and with the IRA.

There have also been reports that he was targeting Christians. According to the New York Post, a “woman who claimed to have a grandmother inside a writing class in Snyder Hall, where a portion the massacre unfolded” reported that

“The shooter was lining people up and asking if they were Christian,” she wrote. “If they said yes, then they were shot in the head. If they said no, or didn’t answer, they were shot in the legs.

So was he — as an apparent supporter of the IRA — targeting Protestants? The Daiy Beast, for its part, says the shooter “hated religion.” Chuck C. Johnson of GotNews says he’s “confirmed” that the shooter was a Muslim.

Is the Myspace page really his? Is the report from the alleged granddaughter bullshit? Was the 4chan posting yesterday actually from him, or a comment from a troll that just happened to have been posted the day before a school shooting in the northwest?

I don’t know. But I still recommend that you read the rest of this post, if only to see the comments from the other 4channers.

Screenshots below:

Here’s his first comment warning fellow channers not to go to school today if they live in the northwest.

umpwarning

He then said he’d post again shortly before he started to shoot. (I don’t know if he did.)

ump10min

Because 4chan is a fucking cesspool, other channers offered him advice:

umpadvice

Another anon suggested that indiscriminate killing wasn’t the solution, seeming to imply that more targeted killing was?

umprandom

Others put forth their ideas of what sorts of people might be considered appropriate targets:

umpad2

umptarg

More encouragement. Note the reference to Elliot Rodger, the Santa Barbara “incel” killer.

umpenc

umenc2

umpenc3

umpenc4

umpenc5

umpenc6

A few others urged the OP to NOT carry out his plans.

umpdnt

umpwhite

After reports of the shooting hit the news, anons reacted with amazement:

umpafter

Amazement and enthusiasm:

umpafter2

In case you’re wondering, “kek” is the equivalent of “lol.”

More excitement:

4chanagain

4cchan2

4chaf

There’s much more of this in the thread.

Naturally, someone claims that the shooting could have been averted if only the shooter could have found a girlfriend.

vict

Yes that’s right: he thinks the shooter was himself a victim, presumably of the entire female gender.

There’s a lot more in the thread but honestly I can’t stomach it right now.

Note: This post has been updated numerous times.

weirwoodtreehugger

Sorry if someone mentioned this, I haven’t read the comments yet.

Why is Maisie Williams being mentioned? That creeps me out.

Tracy
Tracy

Yes, 4chan is the cesspit of the internet, but when your cesspit starts spreading cholera you don’t just go “eh, it’s full of human shit, of course it is” and shrug your fucking shoulders!

@Argenti, so so so fucking THIS.

Paradoxical Intention

Apparently, one of the many witnesses has spoken out and stated that the shooter told people to get on the floor, and then one by one asked them to stand up and state their religion.

Moore said she saw her teacher get shot in the head, apparently after the gunman came into the classroom. At that point, Moore told the newspaper, the shooter ordered everyone to get on the ground. The shooter then asked people to stand up and state their religion and then started firing, Moore said.

justlikeheaven

@Tracy

Yeah pretty much. Fight Club is a good analogy cause like Fight Club it offers some support but it suckers people in to a world of ugly misanthropy and hated.

It was really nice to talk to you and get some of this stuff off my chest. Thanks.

Tracy
Tracy

@justlikeheaven right back atcha 🙂

Johanna Roberts

@Deanna Yeah, you’re right. If it is true… yeah….

justlikeheaven

@Victoria

A large majority of the people on the board openly embrace what they call a “NEET lifestyle” where they shun human contact and basically live alone with there computer. That truly terrifies me the idea that these people will openly cut off all contact with everything but this board.

@Paradoxical

Holy shit, no.

Bonnie Blue
Bonnie Blue

@ justlikeheaven

Yeah, I love how he put that “Cutest Puppies Playing” video at the end of the article specifically for “feminists and white knights,” like that’s supposed to be some kind of insult to us. “I bet you’ll enjoy this video of adorable puppies doing cute things, won’t you, you inferior piece of shit?”

Johanna Roberts

CNN just posted that all the victims are women – so far as they could they confirm.

Johanna Roberts

=__= And then just said that it might not be the case. They need to make up their minds.

Biot (on a different browser this time)
Biot (on a different browser this time)

@dhag85: Matt Forney’s going off thedeep end as well:

Gun control advocates ignore the fact that the reason the U.S. is so violent is because of blacks. #UCCShooting

It only gets worse in that string of Tweets.

The Twitter shitshow is also speculating on who did the killings, and Twitter users have come up with at least four different people who might or might not have been the shooter. I’m seriously considering calling those sorts of people “Twatters,” but it’s using a gendered slur. (David/mods, you can delete that if you want.)

jy3
jy3

@justlikeheaven

*twitch*

Okay, first, agreed that that’s not anything even vaguely resembling healthy.

Second, ew, Japanophilia. Japan does have its positive aspects, but there’s something just gross about reducing an entire culture to exported media and then treating that as some kind of ideal.

Third, that’s not NEET, that’s hikkomori. NEET means unemployed and not studying.

Biot (on a different browser this time)
Biot (on a different browser this time)

Darnit, I forgot that space before the text link. I have now met the kid brother of the Blockquote Mammoth.

Johanna Roberts

Shooters name just released: chris harper mercer

justlikeheaven

@Bonnie Blue

What I love is how he mentions it was posted in 2010 and he updates it every year. Hes been updating that since I was 12. Let it go man.

I also love how he thinks that if you dont get it “Satire” your an idiot but he still points out when its “Not Satire”

amy
amy

Here they talk abut the shooter considering himself a “beta male”. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU4W0ef2654

justlikeheaven

@jy3

Hikkimori and Neet are used interchangeably by 4chan. The chans love bastardizing Asan culture. Kek actually comes from kekekeke which is what Korea uses for Hahahaha.

Paradoxical Intention

amy | October 1, 2015 at 8:28 pm

Holy shit, she connected him to Elliot Rodgers. GOOD.

Maybe now we can get a conversation going about misogyny and these kinds of mass shootings.

Josh Miller
Josh Miller

Like Scarlettpipstrelle mentioned above, AVfM is doing their annual “Bash A Violent Bitch Month” starting today. I clicked on the link she provided, and then went to the Jezebel article Paul Elam claims gave him the inspiration for it all. Elam’s a disgusting human being, whether he calls BaVBM “satire” or not (I don’t think he understands what that word means) but still: what is up with that Jezebel article??? It’s just as disgusting as anything on AVfM! MRAs are usually fighting an enemy that doesn’t exist (straw feminists) but it’s things like that that make them feel justified and makes me wonder if both sides (MRAs and feminists) have become too radical. I mean, the women in the comments section of that article are bragging about hitting their husbands and boyfriends unprovoked for ridiculous things. They give all feminists a bad name. Can someone clue me in as to what’s up with that article? Is Jezebel that bad–like a left-wing version of AVfM?

On topic: another shooting? This is getting ridiculous. If the early information that’s leaked out is true, this is TOXIC MASCULINITY at its worst!

amy
amy

Paradoxical Intention — I know! it pisses me of how they are always silent on toxic masculinity. The only time the conversation comes up is on feminist sites.

Snowberry
Snowberry

And of course there’s going to be attempts to talk about gun control, and its advocates will get shouted down with “too soon!” But considering that there’s an incident or two every week, and a nationally known incident nearly every month, the only “right” time to talk about it as a potential solution is when it’s no longer a potential solution to anything.

amy
amy

Josh Miller- where did you see on jezebel women commenting hitting their husbands and boyfriends. Do you have link?

Luzbelitx

Ugh, I was already getting drunk from the previous post when my compañero decided it was time to break up with me.

I feel so sad for the victims and family, and ashamed I also feel sorry for myself.

My heart is with you all.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

@Josh Miller

Who are you, and why do you think we haven’t heard the “both sides are equally bad” “argument” and needed it explicated to us, and why do you think it’s our responsibility to educate you about this site’s position on the Jezebel article when that information is available to you already with a teensy bit of Google effort on your part?

cupisnique
cupisnique

^ that’s the article that AVFM had linked on their page. It is admittedly really awful and the comments are gross. I don’t think that excuses AVFM for continually bringing it up though, this is not something that is widely advocated for and Jezebel is hardly a good source. They just want to justify their sick fantasies of violence directed at women.

Bina
Bina

Srsly, Hank…4chan, “supportive”? How? Unless you mean nameless trolls and antisocial types egging each other on, I don’t see how the hell it can be supportive of anything but…well, antisocial behavior. Which a school shooting sure as hell is.

Anyhow, I’m outta here for the night. Here, everybody else, enjoy some sweetness, even if it makes Paulie’s head explode:

ryanb1370

This is what the NSA should be investigating. Who these people were that posted in support and investigate them because they are the future mass shooters.

Virtually Out of Touch
Virtually Out of Touch
bluecatbabe
bluecatbabe

Apparently this is the 294th mass shooting in the US this year.

And it’s only the 1st of October.

chronically lurki
chronically lurki

That such a coincidence could have possibly occurred is a disturbing hallmark to /r9k/’s cesspool status. Considering 4chan’s past behavior (assuming the new owner is similar in that regard of course) and the nature of the content that the media is talking about, I don’t see the board surviving this even if the OP wasn’t the actual shooter.

In fact, the FBI’s already in contact with the owner of 4chan according to his Twitter account, and the shooter not having been the same person doesn’t mean they won’t investigate.

I mean, they might be more lenient than planned, but it’s not like you’re necessarily going to get let off the hook if a detective finds out you attempted to rob a convenience store while they were gathering evidence about whether or not you robbed a bank (which, incidentally, you didn’t rob). Particularly if you did it in an egregious fashion and the media’s all over it, though not saying that the difference in attention you’d receive is a good thing.

Next twist is going to be that the Google search result for that name is an entirely different person, isn’t it?

And good on the sheriff for refusing to talk about the murderer – wish more would follow suit. The Internet tabloids are already all over it…but those are internet tabloids : P.

chronically lurki
chronically lurki

For the record, I’m not saying 4chan might get shut down or face criminal charges – I’m saying /r9k/ might get shut down and the people who made those posts, if somehow identified, could face criminal charges.

ryanb1370

The government has the capability to know they are. Just because it says anonymous doesn’t mean crap. Even if they are hackers who conceal their ip addresses the government has better and more hackers. Even if this is not him posting people are
Literally cheering him after this was committed. I could give a rats ass if those people were executed.

leftwingfox

cupisnique: Had AVFM called it out on the double-standard, they would have had a point. Instead, Elam went on to post violent, disproportionate and detailed revenge fantasies. Which is why they’re a hate group, not a rights group.

And holy shit, that 4chan thread is a great example of how the internet distills sociopathy.

epitome of incomprehensibility

Shit, that’s horrible.

I don’t know enough about 4chan to comment on them, but I’m not surprised to hear about more violence (apparently) driven by misogyny. Saddened, but not surprised.

I’ve been really busy with work and I haven’t posted here in a while (a small bit of good news, for what it’s worth – I did get the job I mentioned in the personal-thread post a few weeks ago) and I was wondering if anyone mentioned the Canadian murders on Sept. 23. A man with a history of domestic violence killed three women who were his exes (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/basil-borutski-triple-homicide-wilno-1.3239776).

I’m not saying all misogynists are murderers, of course, but let me say this: Any idea that certain people are inherently lesser than others seems like a kind of violence in itself.

justlikeheaven

One major bit of reasoning behind keeping the more extreme boards of 4chan up is containment. The argument alot of people use is that if you shut one down they will go and wreck havok on other boards.

skiriki

@DavidFutrelle: It is probably a good idea to note that Chuck C. Johnson is Breitbart-level hack who shouldn’t be trusted with anything at all.

Remmet

I really wish that US law enforcement did more to ensure that the shooters in these cases didn’t end up dead. Once someone’s dead, it’s so easy to dismiss them as unstable or mentally ill or a lone gunmen, whereas if they were alive they could tell their side of story. Psychologists and sociologists could then study them and try to understand what it is that really drives some people to mass violence.

Hate filled ideologies certainly help, but not all racists and misogynists are mass murderers, so what is it that drives these particular people to pick up a gun and head to the nearest school/shopping centre? Is there something that could be done, or some way to identify what the root causes are before a bunch of people lose their lives?

Kat
Kat

@Luzbelitx

Hey, Luzbelitx, I’m sorry to hear that. Sending good thoughts your way.

Lizard
Lizard

Shit son this happened on my birthday. I go on r9k a little bit when bored but sorta surprised someone actually did something like this cause most people are being ironic.

Orion

Bina,

4chan is a huge network of subforums with different topics and cultures, most of which we hear about when they act out. I don’t use it and never have, but I know people who do. Most of the users I know are what you might expect — white college students who like to get stoned and post GIFs — but some are very much not. I know or know of several trans people who were out on 4chan before they were out to friends and family.

I don’t really understand how the good experiences happen. Choosing the right board helps, but apparently they’re all chock full of slurs and bigoted trolls. The impression I got was that the people who experienced 4chan as “supportive” are people with very good filters. They were so desperate to feel understood that they were willing to overlook a lot of noise. If you post that you’re trans and scared to come out, you might get 5 people telling you they sympathize and 5 people telling you to kill yourself. That’s an extremely toxic community, but some people are able to block out the hatred and willing to do it because they haven’t found support anywhere else.

hippielady
hippielady

@Hank first off–the word is avid and RIP means rest in peace. Now, did you or did you not read the subsequent threads rejoicing and laughing after the shooting? That place is the very dregs of humanity and if you have any self-respoect left, I urge you to leave now while you still have some of your left.

Orion

I am not trying to advocate for 4chan or anything and I would not be sorry to see it go; just answering the question asked, which was how anyone could find it supportive.

Virtually Out of Touch
Virtually Out of Touch

My inner conspiracy theorist says they’re not kept alive specifically so we don’t learn what drives them.

History Nerd

I guess I can’t see how /r9k/, /v/, or /pol/ could possibly be supportive.

Virtually Out of Touch
Virtually Out of Touch

“The people on 4chan already decided to dehumanize people who are different from them ”

I’ve heard of 4 Chan but not that much. Who are the people different from them? Who are they?

amy
amy

Another Mass Shooting: Three Killed in Inglis, Florida

David- is there a post on this site that gives you direction on how to block quote, post pics……