#gamergate davis aurini drama kings dudes who look like anton lavey evil SJWs hypocrisy jordan owen sarkeesian!

The Unmaking of The Sarkeesian Effect. Or, Thunderf00t makes a video that’s actually worth watching

I‘m going to do something I’ve never done before and that I likely won’t do ever again. That is, recommend that you watch a video by Thunderf00t. That one, up there.

Because, bless his terrible little heart, he has pulled together a hilarious and informative mini-documentary on what you might call the Unmaking of The Sarkeesian Effect, filled with clips that remind us all just what complete fuckups and hypocrites would-be filmmakers Jordan Owen and Davis Auini really are. Especially Aurini.

The section in which Thunderf00t rips apart Aurini’s claims to be a brilliant bloody editor (who knows all the keyboard shortcuts) is particularly delicious.

Just ignore the bits where he actually goes after Sarkeesian herself; they’re fairly brief, in any case.

If you feel bad about giving Thunderf00t views, you might be able to assuage some of that guilt by giving me money. (How’s that for a segue!) Just another reminder that the We Hunted the Mammoth Pledge Drive is (still) on! Please consider donating through the PayPal button below. Thanks!

Or you could donate money to Ms. Sarkeesian. It’s all good.

davidknewton
davidknewton

Very nicely segued 😉

I watched this a couple of days ago and it’s great to see someone honestly exposing how godawful these people are – the Twitter conversations between all of them are an interesting read, too. It’s my hope that as they realize so many of the loudest supporters are such fundamentally awful people, they might examine themselves a bit more.

Indeed, on KotakuInAction, I saw someone getting dangerously close to a personal revelation: http://davidxn.tumblr.com/post/127597344152/a-gamergate-type-person-gets-so-close-to-a

Falconer

I used to enjoy his Why Do People Laugh At Creationists videos, but most of that was done before he soiled the bed at FreeThoughtBlogs.

I’m glad to see he’s put out something watchable again, but the digs at Sarkeesian squash any brief hope I had that he was turning around.

Nop
Nop

Oh jeez, this is just painful to watch. LOL.

theladyzombie

This is just my opinion but the only reason Thunderf00t made this video is because he got backed into a corner and was forced to choose between the devil and the deep blue sea.

TF himself has been criticized for his opinions on the Holocaust so I don’t think it was Aurini’s Holocaust denialism that fueled this. I really don’t think Thunderf00t has a problem with it to be honest. But ever since the Sarkeesian Effect went bust and Owen outed Aurini as the con artist he is, Aurini has been pestering the shit out of Sargon and TF trying to get back in their good graces. I guess it’s backfired on him big time.

Also, remember that TF makes a good amount of money from his videos and is so full of himself and so out for his bottom line, that I can easily seeing him wanted to put distance between anything connected with Aurini and Owen because of the bad press it would bring him. Normally his MO is just to ignore everything: critics, being proven wrong, etc. But his participation in the Sarkeesian Effect has now linked him to a Dark Enlightenment, Neonazi, woman beating, con artist and he needs to distance himself.

tl;dr – Thunderf00t is just covering his ass and really doesn’t give a rip about anything else.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ DavidKNewton

I love his little lament: “How come a group whose sole raison d’etre is misogyny and the harassment of women can only attract support from other groups whose sole raison d’etre is misogyny and the harassment of women. Why can’t any nice people support us?”

Ellesar
Ellesar

For those who do not know much about Thunderfart, this is the title of one of his youtube videos:

“Why ‘feminism’ poisons EVERYTHING”

I am guessing that this is why David would not normally recommend us to watch a video of his.

ikanreed
ikanreed

@Ellesar

In the broader sense, he’s just one of those white male atheists, who has a rather angry view about one of the only ways he’s a minority, but gets offended at other kinds of social problems being addressed.

I still don’t know how I dodged that particular bullet, being a white male atheist myself.

breaking my no-commenting rule because I just gotta say –
OMG Im sooo frustrated by that moment when TF00t mocks Anita for saying everything is sexist (out of context).
HOW do supposedly smart people pretend to not understand how common colloquial language works?!! Oo
for anyone who doesnt get it, in English, when someone says something like “everything is sexist”, They dont mean that precisely literally, it is something called hyperbole; what she means, what everyone listening knows she means unless they are purposely trying to hate on her, is “sexism is extremely common to the point where there seems to be an element of sexism in nearly everything.” If Anita truly believed every single thing ever is sexist, she woulnt have a series of vids about non-sexist vidya games ffs. I mean, come the fuck on.
That reminds me of TF00ts baffling awful “mountain lions and rape” video, in which he claimed he scared off a mountain lion by body language so that’s how women should prevent rape. I immediately looked up mountain lion attack stats and found that the lions very rarely attack humans. Guess critical thinking isnt really important (to him) when the subject is rape?
That aside, I am actually impressed bu TF00t doing this. Good for him, even if it was just to save his own rep.
Oh, and btw, mocking creationists is too easy. I feel like I should always have known he was just a bully at heart.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Hey Paradoxy!

You like your ‘dictionary definition’ stuff. Well the Oxford English Dictionary has just published its list of words that are provisionally going to be in the next edition. What do you think to this one?

verb
[with object] informal

(Of a man) explain (something) to someone, typically a woman, in a manner regarded as condescending or patronizing:
‘I’m listening to a guy mansplain economics to his wife’

‘Apparently you can’t sell a second-hand car for as much as a new one. So glad he mansplained that to me’

(as noun mansplaining) ‘your response is classic mansplaining’

More example sentences
‘He tries to mansplain it with a weak athlete analogy, but she cuts him short.’
‘Bravo, too, for the general misogynist stereotyping, victim blaming and general mansplaining.’
‘I was accused of “mansplaining” and of writing “a terrible article” that should never have been published.’

Also in the list are SJW and Redditor!

Book of Kels (@Nezchan)

What I find most telling is the fact that almost everything Thunderf00t criticizes, he’d be explaining away if the film and its première hadn’t turned into a laughingstock. Hell, I’m pretty sure he *has* done so with similar things in the past.

KL

*OBViously TF00t thinking a woman could use body language to protect herself from rape is stupid for a million other reasons, like say her rapist is her husband, just in case that doesnr go without saying as it should. Also sorry if that was abrupt, belated trigger warning.

KL

@ikanreed – because being born a white male and being an atheist añone does not an asshole make 😉

Ellesar
Ellesar

Alan – I have just been mansplained for my choice of profile photo on another site. I use Margaret Thatcher with a beard, to express my *dislike* as she hated beards (I am sure you know). But I was told that I was using the image to say that MH was masculine because of her leadership style, and that that was a form of anti feminism, so I am a hypocrite – apparently. For *some* reason he just could not accept my reason, no, his reason was the valid one!

Ellesar
Ellesar

The other thing I cannot stand about Thunderfart is that he really reminds me physically of my sisters father – who thought he was one of the good guys, but really wasn’t.

ikanreed
ikanreed

@KL

Naturally, no. But it’s a common phenotype, the self-interested, context-unaware people who share those traits with me. I was just expressing that I don’t know what makes some of us so horribly self-centered when it comes to injustice.

Like those who compare being raised religious to actual abuse.

makingfitzcarraldo
makingfitzcarraldo

If only they all would see that they all make each other look bad. Not just the very ridiculous like Aurini. Maybe they’d at least denounce each other, if not themselves, and rush not to look bad. I wish it wasn’t true that social perceptions were the only thing keeping assholes from being themselves out loud.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ Ellesar

I *didn’t* know that, cheers (I always like to learn one new thing per day).

*Goes off to look at pictures of 1980s cabinet members*

C.S.Strowbridge
C.S.Strowbridge

theladyzombie: “Thunderf00t is just covering his ass and really doesn’t give a rip about anything else.”

I think you’ve nailed it. Had the film been even halfway decent film, TF would have been praising it right now.

C.S.Strowbridge
C.S.Strowbridge

Ellesar: “But I was told that I was using the image to say that MH was masculine because of her leadership style, and that that was a form of anti feminism, so I am a hypocrite – apparently.”

Let me guess… the man who told you this was truly anti-feminist.

This happens a lot. In fact, I’ve seen them talking about this strategy over and over again. ‘Use their language as a weapon against them.’

Cerberus
Cerberus

Yeah, no, that fucker tried to send a hate mob after me. Fuck him.

Jef Rouner
Jef Rouner

Are we absolutely SURE Sarkeesian isn’t paying these guys herself to exist as a walking, talking example of her being right? I mean, this level of lack of self-awareness can’t possibly be real, right?

sn0rkmaiden

I’m just waiting for the actual film to become available. After all that hype can it really be that only nine people will ever get to watch it? Jordan Owen seems to have gone completely silent, and Aurini is making videos like the whole thing never happened.

From TF’s video, I particularly love the bit where Aurini and Owen are speculating about the talk shows they will be invited on, esp Aurini’s assertion that they wouldn’t even be on The Daily Show as guests to be laughed at, but laughed WITH.

I hope they weren’t too disappointed /s

Oh, and while we’re praising the normally indefensible, I watched what was actually a pretty good video by Sargon tearing apart the Conservative government. I guess it’s true about a stopped clock.

Quinn
Quinn

Thunderf00t kind of had to do this, really… After all, he appeared in the film giving an interview to Aurini!! He’s just trying to distance himself from it by any means possible, and if that means turning on them then so be it I guess.

Anyway, even before he became embedded in anti-feminist nonsense, I had a really difficult time listening to Thunderf00t – His voice is just extremely condescending. He constantly sounds like he’s talking down his nose at the viewer despite knowing that most of them are probably his loyal patreon supporters.

KL

@IKanReed – Oh Science Yes, that drives me mad, having been raised in both abuse and religion, there is a big difference!!! ><

Alex
Alex

didn’t they interview him for the video? Also who here wants a bet on how long it’ll take some troll to go after thunderf00t for white knighting and being a “beta” because he’s criticising those two jackasses? I swear MRAs and their ilk are so rabidly brainwashed that anyone who even vaguely agrees with something close to feminism or even remotely criticises their ideas or infantile leaders gets bombarded with hate. I once saw a guy on an MRA page get called a “white knight faggot” because he said he’d seen women get harassed at the cafe he worked at…

DES
DES

I tried watching the video, but I couldn’t stop laughing every time Aurini opened his mouth, so I gave up about three minutes in.

Terrabeau
Terrabeau

This entire debacle is reminding me of so many failed high school projects.

tguerrant
tguerrant

Wow, I think we’ve got a trend starting here. Futrelle’s sparring partner on Twitter about rape culture, Woolybumblebee, has also gone after Owen and Aurini — again, particularly after Aurini. The ex-Elamospherian and a self-avowed feminist hater’s blog has been about nothing else lately:

The epic battle of Matt Forney for the damsel Aurini’s heart

The Sarkeesian Effect – Following the Dramz

Who is The Sarkeesian Effect’s ‘Mediator’ Michael Whiteacre, AKA Ari Bass and his wife Christina Parreira?

Why The Sarkeesian Effect is Wonderful News for SJWs and Feminists

Meanwhile, the feminist vlogger known as Laughing Witch, has been drolly observing Aurini’s spitefest with Thunderf00t since 8/22, so T’f00t’s video slam certainly hasn’t come out of nowhere:

Davis Aurini and Thunderf00t Tweet Battle

Davis Aurini: Ad Hominem attack on Thunderf00t

(I’m trying to just link to Laughing Witch’s videos, not embed them, but I’m not sure what WordPress will do here. Apologies if I’ve messed it up.)

Mike
Mike

Yeah, when it comes to Sarkeesian or feminist topics in general, thunderf00t presents his arguments through disinformation, ignorance (or at least, the ignoring of key points), and what looks an awful lot like just plain obliviousness (he has that video where he shows footage from the game Watch Dogs – with women being sold at auction like literal objects – and says “How can you possibly portray that as objectifying women?”; at first I thought he was being sarcastic…).

The thing that’s really troubling about thunderf00t (among others) is that he presents this stuff as if it’s the end result of rational, objective, enlightened thinking – I mean, hey, he’s a professional scientist, right? Of course, his views are as biased and subjective as anybody’s, but the veneer of scientific rationality can lead people to accept this stuff as if it’s a matter of incontrovertible fact rather than just regular old opinion.

Ibis

@Alan

I think the definition is missing a key element: mansplaining is not just condescending, it’s condescending to someone without regard (due to sexist assumptions) that she may actually have superior knowledge or expertise about the subject than you do.

Sarity

This tool gets zero credit from me for acknowledging what was obvious to anyone with any sense from the start. As C.S.Strowbridge points out, if the film was a success, you can bet he’d be all over it with approval regardless of Aurini’s slimeballery.

Tabby Lavalamp

I think Thunderf00t gets a bad rap. After all, thanks to those dastardly SJWs and FTBullies he can no longer eat women’s feet at conferences. 🙁

theladyzombie

@tguerrant

Yeah, I’ve seen some of WBB’s videos. They’re amusing but I just can’t get on board with anything that she does because she’s such a horrid person. I wish she’d just go back to having meltdowns over blue jean companies donating $1 to girls’ (WHY NOT BOYS TOO?!?!ELEVENTY1one!!!111) education in poor countries.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ Ibis

This is why the OED flags up potential new entries and invites comments.

The OED uses a “common usage” test. It’s not necessarily the most popular usage; there can be multiple definitions of a word. There’s also no actual numerical definition of ‘common’ either; there may for instance be word used in a highly technical field like quantum mechanics that only a handful of people use, but it can still qualify for entry.

The OED team look at al sorts of things to decide the ‘common’ usages. References to written use is an obvious one but, especially where words are used in the vernacular, they might look at transcripts of speech or social media, or just the work of social anthropologists and the like.

If you can show evidence as to a particular definition, maybe by reference to the original article it appeared in and subsequent commentary on that article, then they’ll look into it.

The OED takes a ‘death of the author’ approach though. It will try to identify the first known use of a word and will record that meaning with the tag ‘orig’ but if people now use the word in a different way it will record that meaning as the main one.

I find all this quite interesting and I think Paradoxy does too; hence the shout-out to her.

But he missed the opportunity to call his video “The Sarkeesian Effect Effect.”

idledillettante

On the one hand I’m pleased to see tf00t/ Phil Mason directing his energies towards actual charlatans and incompetent MRA dumbasses.

On the other, I know he’s doing it just to distance himself from a project that he once supported.

Basically it’s a nice video and I like it, but it seems tf00t made it to whitewash his brand.

I also love the note at the top where he encourages re-uploading, lest the manospherians get his video taken down. Tf00t writes it as if he himself was not functionally indistinguishable from people in the MRA universe. Maybe in his own mind he’s a moderate but looking at his videos, there’s very little that separates him from other manosphere/dark enlightenment types.

KL

@ Mike Well said! I barely interact online anymore but when I have, Ive seen stuff like a guy arguing that feminists literally want to take away the male right to vote (yes really!) tell me feminism is a cult and Holocaust deniers talking about their superior “logick”. I went through a phase of thinking that surely actual facts and logic could convince people of reality. I had no idea how deeply, purposely self-deluded so many people are. I just dont understand it.

KL

@Cerberus – having been harassed by a hate mob, just wanted to say Im really sorry that happened to you.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Another of my patented random derailments

Some interesting MRA undercurrents though.

Hexren
Hexren

btw: did anybody else already notice/mention that that Aurini Charakter reads Iain M. Banks, Surface Detail ?
Nice to now that even people like that enjoy a good utopia although I would have thought there would be a culture clash there.

tguerrant
tguerrant

@theladyzombie

Getting on board with Wooly would be a little like getting on board with John Wayne Gacy. Well, sans talents for (a) applying clown makeup and (b) fooling others into not recognizing clear and present danger, that is. I present the Wooly bullies, not as friends of ours, but as companions of one another in excluding Aurini, and to a lesser extent Owen, from the company of ordinary indecent asshats.

Tanya

He took delight in making fun of people. People I find endlessly annoying and full of crap, but still, people. Anytime someone posts a vid laughing at someone, I wonder about their motives, and if they woudl laugh at me, when I said something they didn’t like.

Vetarnias
Vetarnias

Heh, and now I just want to see their pile of garbage of a documentary even more.

That was the intended effect, wasn’t it?

dhag85

Sorry, but I really can’t bring myself to watching a Phil Mason video. He was always a fucking jackass, and I was rolling my eyes at him even before his misogyny bubbled up to the surface. He’s just one of those people who seems to be terrible at everything he tries to do. TF is the only atheist who’s lost a debate to Ray Bananaman Comfort – that’s how fucking stupid this dude is. I’m actually happy that he had his meltdown over at FTB, or people would still be celebrating his inane little anti-creationist video series. Blech.

weirwoodtreehugger

I don’t think I’ll watch, simply for fear of what YouTube will start recommending.

ikanreed
ikanreed

@idledillettante

So, I’m kinda willing to grant a second chance if he ever actually acknowledges his own mistakes.

weirwoodtreehugger

Vetarnias,
What are you 12? If you want to waste your time watching a tedious and poorly made documentary just to piss us off, you do you. What a stupid way to troll.

dhag85

@tguerrant

Hah! I didn’t know Christina Parreira was married to their ‘mediator’, but it makes so much sense. I knew Aurini and Owen couldn’t just randomly have a female friend. That piece of info cracked me up.

dhag85

@Vetarnias

Go ahead! 🙂 You’ll be one of literally a handful of people who’ve seen it. Nobody really cares about which movies you watch.

Ben
Ben

@ Hexren

I’m pretty sure that Aurini just feeds off of the hyper-rational anarcho-libertarianism of the Culture, while pretending that its extreme gender equality and tendency towards brown skin are signs of inner decay? Who knows, sci-fi attracts all sorts, but I can’t believe that Banks wouldn’t despise any part of his own novels that would appeal to someone like that.

1 2 3