allegedly false accusations douchebaggery entitled babies men who should not ever be with women ever rape rape culture threats

Donald Trump: Not guilty of rape by reason of polling better than Jeb Bush?

Donald Trump on the man who reported Ivana Trump’s allegations: “He is a guy that is an unattractive guy.”

People in glass Trump Towers shouldn’t throw stones — or, perhaps, throw around accusations of rape, as one Donald Trump did recently in his now infamous remarks suggesting that Mexican immigrants are a bunch of rapists.

A must-read story yesterday in The Daily Beast points out that Trump is not only a rape accuser of sorts, but someone who was once very publicly accused of rape — by his now-former wife Ivana Trump, who, in a deposition in her divorce case against the Donald in the early 90s, said that she’s been attacked one night by her then husband in a fit of rage, screaming at her and pulling out her hair before ripping off her clothes and raping her.

The Beast reports that, according to Lost Tycoon, a 1993 book about Trump by journalist Harry Hurt III, Ivana told her closest friends that “he raped me.” Later, though, in a statement she provided through Trump’s lawyers, and that was reprinted in the book as “A Notice to Readers,” Ivana backed away from the R-word, saying that

[a]s a woman, I felt violated, as the love and tenderness, which he normally exhibited towards me, was absent. I referred to this as a ‘rape,’ but I do not want my words to be interpreted in a literal or criminal sense.

Make of that what you will.

At the time, the Daily Beast notes, Trump declared the account in the book

incorrect and done by a guy without much talent … He is a guy that is an unattractive guy who is a vindictive and jealous person.

Very Trumpian.

But even more remarkable than this bizarre denial was the even Trumpier response that Michael Cohen, one of Trump’s lawyers, gave to the Daily Beast writer who asked him about the allegations:

You’re talking about the front-runner for the GOP, presidential candidate, as well as private individual who never raped anybody.

Evidently one cannot be a rapist if one is polling better than Jeb Bush.

Cohen continued:

And, of course, understand that by the very definition, you can’t rape your spouse.

As the Beast points out, Cohen is completely wrong here. Not only is marital rape illegal in New York state now; it was illegal in New York state in 1989, the date of the alleged rape.

Perhaps sensing he wasn’t getting anywhere with the “you can’t rape your spouse” angle, “Trump’s lawyer then changed tactics,” the Beast reports,

lobbing insults and threatening a lawsuit if a story was published.

“I will make sure that you and I meet one day while we’re in the courthouse. And I will take you for every penny you still don’t have. And I will come after your Daily Beast and everybody else that you possibly know,” Cohen said. “So I’m warning you, tread very fucking lightly, because what I’m going to do to you is going to be fucking disgusting. You understand me?”

“You write a story that has Mr. Trump’s name in it, with the word ‘rape,’ and I’m going to mess your life up…for as long as you’re on this frickin’ planet…you’re going to have judgments against you, so much money, you’ll never know how to get out from underneath it,” he added.

Someone’s a bit grouchy.

Cohen continued, telling the Beast that

there is nothing reasonable about you wanting to write a story about somebody’s usage of the word ‘rape,’ when she’s talking [about] she didn’t feel emotionally satisfied.”

“Though there’s many literal senses to the word, if you distort it, and you put Mr. Trump’s name there onto it, rest assured, you will suffer the consequences. So you do whatever you want. You want to ruin your life at the age of 20? You do that, and I’ll be happy to serve it right up to you,” he added.

Given that the Beast ran the story, and we’re talking about it now, it kind of, sort of, appears that Cohen’s Trumpian lawyering backfired a little bit. And that’s a very good thing, because this is a story that needs to be re-aired.

Tessa

Tilikum, while I don’t expect you to respond directly (that’s not your style) I’ll do this anyway:

What were your posts mirroring exactly? Others have explained why your “i trust the woman” doubling down doesn’t work here, as you ignore the fact that she said different things in different situations. So you must look at the situation and use logic. First she told her closest friends that he raped her. That was in a setting of trust to people she loved. Then she backed away from calling it rape in settings that are essentially Trump’s domain, with his access to money and many lawyers. So you believe the woman in a situation of duress against someone else with all the power, but don’t believe what she said when in a close safe environment. Please explain your logic here.

I honestly don’t get your point here. Can you explain? Is this simply you telling us we’re making a big deal out of nothing? If so, what is the nothing we’re making a big deal of?

Why bring this up? Was that your purpose? Just to get attention and not to have a serious conversation?

Which issue? Trump’s rape of his wife? Or something else. And if it’s not the rape, what are the “sides” exactly?

Thank you all for the valuable (if not wildly vicious) example from which to draw.

I don’t think people calling you an asshole is especially vicious. And they didn’t do that until you made it clear you weren’t here for an actual conversation. A conversation is both ways. Not you talking at people.

RosaDeLava
RosaDeLava

@weirwoodtreehugger
It’s because he was “dogpiled”, I guess

For all of Tilli’s verbosity he has failed to make any kind of point. People have pointed out at least twice that saying “I choose to believe women” is meaningless when the woman you’re referring to gave contradicting statements. That should be a no-brainer.

Is he trying to make us say that we don’t trust women, in an attempt to prove something?

sunnysombrera

MRAs constantly try to set up stupid “gotchas” for feminists, which usually fall through because they’re stupid and transparent as air. I think they want to have something to screencap and show to their buddies with shouts of “lol feminism isn’t about equality see!” or “feminists don’t care about x!” or some other bullshit.

But like I said, it rarely works. Because most MRAs are pretty damn dense by the looks of it.

Newt
Newt

@Tilikum

Thank you all for the […] example from which to draw.

Oh, you were just gathering data for your non-existent study? Is this the smug form of the “lol I troll u, bored now” flounce? If so, please stick it.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ EJ (TOO)

That’s very kind. In the unlikely event I ever decide to grow up; I’ll give you a shout.

dhag85

It’s funny that a few people from WHTM’s comment section clicking on the troll’s user name amounts to, in troll’s words, “a metric shit ton of traffic” to his blog. Y’know, since their usual talking point is that WHTM is a tiny blog with not many readers at all.

ryeash

Sent this straight the fuck to my sister, who was planning to vote for him. Count her and her husband’s votes out, as well as any of their families who will listen. I thought the guy was gross before, and just this side of criminal, but it turns out he’s a flat out disgusting, evil rotten shitball on whom I wish all manner of awfulness.

I also Twitted at the authors of the article and reminded them of what complete badasses they are for standing up to that kind of money. Of course, the dumbass lawyer actually emailing threats to them probably helped, but still.

Falconer

@STH:

I read somewhere (of course, can’t remember where) that at this time in the last Presidential election cycle, Michele Bachmann was the Republican frontrunner.

Michele Bachmann won the Iowa straw poll in August, 2011. The next day, the cable news shows didn’t talk about her at all. It was all Rick Perry, Mike Huckabee, etc., etc.

Probably the only time in my life I have felt sorry for Michele Bachmann, honestly.

ryeash

Two more things–

@Pandapool

BAAAAAHHH more Inquisition posts! Solas is a stupid jerk, though. And I can’t break it off with him and date Sera, dammit.

@Troll folk

Oh wow, no way. You only believe women who say they weren’t raped. Cue surprised face:

ryeash

Aw why, mammoth?

It was a grumpy cat face. My surprised face was a grumpy cat face. Because I was being sarcastic.

Falconer

@SFHC:

You want to hear an ad hominem, asswipe?

comment image

Falconer

@SFHC:

Or maybe just dance on your head for a while.

I hardly think there’s call for that sort of incivility *clutches pearls* *has someone fetch my fainting couch*

Falconer

*clutches Pearl*
comment image/revision/latest?cb=20150215004825

Luzbelitx

@ryeash

To tame the Embed Mammoth, make sure the link to the image ends with the file name and extention: http://www.example.com/grumpy.gif (not a real link so won’t embed 😉 )

ryeash

@Luzbelitx

Ahh, thank you! I shall Google images more smarter in the future 🙂

weirwoodtreehugger

My friend’s boss is Michelle Bachman’s neighbor. She and her family don’t clean up after their dog’s poop.

Falconer

@WWTH: Well I wasn’t saying I felt very sorry for her. 😛

Moocow
Moocow

@Newt

He’s from Shiteau Heartsuck, so naturally his smug egotistical condescending delusions of superiority is just him trying to be the alpha male and seduce us with his proper spelling. In his mind, he is some master manipulator and we are all dancing to his rhythm. Had he remained, he would probably try to imply that us finding out about his real identity WAS ALL PART OF HIS PLAN!!!1111!!!

“If she wasn’t my daughter, I would still treat her as a human being.” 🙂

Well played. I concede the point.

Catalpa
Catalpa

RE: Donald Trump saying that all the women on the apprentice flirted with him.

I don’t understand why the most morally and intellectually repulsive dudebros think that the are literally irresistible to everyone around them. These types are always homophobic too, becauseobviously ALL THE GAY MEN ARE GOING TO RELENTLESSLY HIT ON THEM, EW. No, guys. No one of any orientation wants you. You’re fucking awful.

GrumpyOldSocialJusticeMangina

Trumpery’s wife said: ” Incidentally, I think he would make an incredible president.”
I would say the same thing, but I don’t think I’d be using “incredible” in quite the the same sense.

He’s a stupid jerk, but he’s MY stupid jerk.
comment image

Sera is also equally stupidly jerky (and really, really insensitive like fuck actually; I can say at least Solas apologizes), but she’s ALSO my stupid jerk.
comment image

They’re both assholes who I love and they snort when they laugh those jerks. Why do you both have to be such fucks to Dalish you smug assholes I love you don’t ever change you frustrating, hypocritical, self-hating asshats. You smiles light up my life but I am either not elfy enough or too elfy WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO MY HEART STOP.

GrumpyOldSocialJusticeMangina

Re Tilikum: “Anyway, it has spiked a metric shit ton of traffic to my empty blog ”
At least he recognizes the quality of the traffic he’s receiving.

“As both a mental health and media professional”
He works as an orderly in a mental hospital and moonlights as a cleaning person in a newspaper office, and has picked up some of the lingo, particularly the psychobabble.

weirwoodtreehugger

Or he’s Dr Phil. I wouldn’t be surprised if Dr. Phil was a manurespherian.

Or maybe “If she wasn’t my daughter, I would never have found out about that really good book/movie/band/hobby/food that she introduced me to.”

Although now the grammarian in me wants to point out that it should be “If she *weren’t* my daughter.”

Aunt Edna
Aunt Edna

@Grumpy:

Yes, when Ms. Ex-Trump said ‘incredible,’ she must have meant ‘lacking credibility.’ English is not her native language.

Also yes on Tilicum’s mental health ‘ professional’ credentials. Like Rollo ‘The Irrational Male’ Tomassi who took a class in behaviorism some time in HS or college and considers himself an expert in psychology.

GrumpyOldSocialJusticeMangina

@!Katz: Save the Subjunctive!

GrumpyOldSocialJusticeMangina

If Tilikum really is a mental health professional, dogg help his patients.

I thought he was an easily detectable troll. He came here basically trying to answer an either-or question with yes or no; he made an anti-feminist comment in what he thought was feminist rhetoric. That’s pretty clearly bad faith.
He thought we would be too stupid to figure out his game, and he was shocked at how transparent we found him — all the fart smellers at Chateau Fartiste are constantly telling him that feminists are stupid.

ryeash

Ugggggggggh, I know T_T Bioware’s characters always do mean stuff to my feels. God. Damn. ANDERS. I will never never never forgive them for Anders not now not never.

I blame myself for wanting to break it off with Solas, though. I wanted to know what the terror demon was saying to him in the Fade, and I pieced together his secret from that. To be fair, I feel like an elf would know what someone was saying in Elvish, so, like…from a role play perspective, it works? That’s what I tell my partner when he makes fun of me for self-spoiling, anyway.

…also, I have second thoughts every time Solas greets me with “My Heart” >_>. Dammit.

@ryeash

You haven’t finished the game yet? Do you know what happens with Solas?

If you don’t, you poor fool. You poor, poor fool.

If you do, I’m here for you.
comment image

Shaenon

YESSSSSS

DO IT

DO THE DEED

I will be in it. I’m on Facebook under the same name. Contact me.

ryeash

@Pandapool

…………………………………….okay, I looked up everything that happens with him. I couldn’t help it! I couldn’t take another Anders! I heard what the demon said, and…I just Googled it all. I have a problem.

And I’m also ashamed to say that I haven’t finished the game yet. I got to it late and am a rabid completionist (those murals will be the death of me), then ESO finally came out, and I got distracted.

BTW excellent gif work, as always. I’m a fan 🙂

@ryeash

Thank Tumblr for the gif, ma falon.

Also, we’re getting DLC involving Solas probably, so perhaps maybe he won’t be another Thane. Hopefully. I mean, you know what’s up. It would be a wasted opportunity for only one game. Plus that foreshadowing at the end? I mean, really now.

Also I wanna help him help the People. :<

In Tevinter.

Hint, BioWare, who will never read this post and probably has the next game an eighth of the way done already.

Bina
Bina

It’s safe to say that my posts here, there, and everywhere, when considered as the mirror they are intended to be, reflect quite a bit of anti-social ugliness. I wonder if life has become so easy that our minds, unable to deal with the lack of struggle, choose to invent drama and derision as an adjustment tool. To keep it sharp and non-complacent.

Anyway, it has spiked a metric shit ton of traffic to my empty blog (I assume so folks can validate selection bias) which has sparked a new idea. As both a mental health and media professional, you have inspired me to start thinking about a documentary on this very issue, and with the (anonymously of course) interesting actors of both sides.

Translation: I have nothing interesting, worthwhile or insightful to say, but I’m still going to take snide pokes at you, then bloviate at length on my shitty blog, just to show you who the REAL penis-haver is.

Yup, you sure showed us, Trollicus.

ryeash

@Pandapool

Good gods, why must you do this to me so close to end game?? Now I must stare dramatically into the sunset and ponder how elfy I want to be.

@ryeash

I really couldn’t bring myself to romance Sera completely as an elf since she’s so anti elf and I really like elves, city and Dalish. My next playthrough I’ll probably be Qunari, just for her. (Although I’m borrowing the game right now, so that’ll probably have to wait.)

Sera happens to like giant women.

Solas is less anti elf. He doesn’t mind city elves but he thinks Dalish are misguided, holding onto fragments of fragments. Plus, he understands where Quizzy is coming from with Dalish things. He might not like it, but he won’t, for instance, laugh in your face and tease you over something the Dalish got wrong, like Sera does.

ryeash

!!!Dragon Age: Inquisition spoilers!!!

@Pandapool

Dude, Solas is what Elven mothers scare their children with. No thanks. I’ll take a smartass rebel with a bad case of denial over the boogeyman any day.

Sure she’s critical about elves, but what do you expect from someone abandoned by elf parents and raised by humans? Rich humans, even, so probably racist ones. She’s a product of her environment, and not even a committed one.

@ryeash

DA:I Spoilers

Fen’Harel is called The Rebel God for a reason.

Abelas didn’t cower in front of Solas and he was an ancient one, one who was alive when Arlathan was still around, who would have seen his crimes first hand. Mythal called him an old friend. Mythal the Mother Goddess of the elves. A “boogeyman” Fen’Harel is not. His name was likely slandered in some sort of uprising, freeing of the slaves of the gods, and since I’d imagine slaves wouldn’t know how to chronologize history, Fen’Harel became hated to those closest to the gods, closest to the people who benefited to their power, those who had power and influence over all elves and likely slaughtered those who rebelled against them.

Spend some time walking around with Solas, him with Dorian, with Iron Bull, with Cassandra and Sera and Cole. Listen to them talk. He is wholly against slavery, against the Qun, against how the Tevinter treat elves and spirits and his passion about it. Listen with how he respects Cassandra, answers her questions, respect her belief of the Maker. Listen on how he tries to teach Sera though she’s stubborn and how he calms down poor Cole when he freaks out when the Veil is thin.

He is not evil. He might not be telling the whole truth, but he is honest in what he believes, and he believes in the freedom of all people through rebellion. The difference between him and Sera is maturity and the will to actually topple regimes at any cost, not just rough up nobles like Sera likes to do.

Olive O'Sudden
Olive O'Sudden

Not only did the Donald sexually assault Ivana, he ripped out handfuls of her hair after he had just had his scalp reduced by a surgeon who Ivana had used in the past. He was in pain and I guess, understandably, disappointed with the results, and he took out his rage on his wife. If Hillary Clinton had every ripped out anybody else’s hair with her bare hands, she’d be forced to quit the primaries.

indifferentsky

David, can we please have an open thread on the police murders that have been going on? Please?

Moocow
Moocow

@Shaenon

Y’know that reminds me, isn’t the premier of the Sarkeesian effect supposed to happen soon? I, for one, am [i]very[/i] excited. *grin*

indifferentsky

YEAH, it’s supposed to be July 31st!!!

That’s on a blue moon.

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

Where’s it showing? This is something worth dressing up for. I’m totally down for cosplaying as Owen and Aurini.

Erm, I’m not sure an Owen costume would be allowed in public…

dhag85

I might be able to put together an Aurini costume, but I don’t know if I’d want to carry those skulls around all day.

Bina
Bina

Meanwhile, dressing up as Jordan Owen should be a snap. A long, uncombed wig (or if one’s own hair is that long, just leave it to rat for a few days) and the schlubbiest, baggiest, worst-fitting things in the closet. And a bathtub.

Luzbelitx - from my phone
Luzbelitx - from my phone

Ok, I found a top secret project for the Owen-Davis cosplay. The Aurini impersonator is missing, but the skulls are right there (along with their full skeleton)
comment image

Orion

I dunno. If you’re Dalish, Solas is unacceptably bigoted toward you personally, questioning your abilities and motivations instead of treating you as an individual. But are Solas and Sera too anti-Dalish or anti-elf? I’m not convinced. Throughout the first two games, the Dalish tribes have consistently turned out to be assholes who ruin everything they touch. Everything good is done by mavericks, exiles, and pariahs.

………………………………

What do people think about the fan theory that Sera is the goddess Andruil?