alpha males awesome masculinity

Deep Dream Makes These Awesomely Ridiculous Vintage Men’s Magazine Covers Even More Awesomely Ridiculous

DogBear and friends face off against DogManTorso
DogBear and friends face off against DogManTorso

I‘ve long been obsessed with the bizarrely over-the-top cover art for 1950s men’s “adventure” magazines, in which muscular, often shirtless men face off against an assortment of unlikely animal enemies — from armies of “giant turtles” to squads of flying squirrels. (You can find an assortment of notable covers here.)

More recently, I’ve become obsessed with Google’s Deep Dream software, which can turn any picture you toss at it into a creepy acid nightmare filled with strange Dogslug creatures and a strange surplus of eyes.

And now that I’ve found a handy web interface for the Deep Dream software, I decided to combine these two obsessions into one. The results were, well, interesting.

Dang flying rodents!
Dang flying rodents!
DogSlugMan battles the Lizard Army
DogSlugMan battles the Lizard Matrix
Masculine Inadequacies Drive Women Nuts!
Masculine Inadequacies Drive Women Nuts!
DogSlugWeasels Ripped His Flesh
DogSlugWeasels Ripped His Flesh
I don't even know what is going on here.
I don’t even know what is going on here.

Fruitloopsie
Fruitloopsie

Panda
Oh sorry, the first one is a blog called pro male antifeminist tech that has all the antifeminist and misogyny pages listed and the second is chimp mania which is extremely racist and ableist. I put Jb’s link down because she has new articles up.

Miss Andry

I did one of Paul Elam from an article I just posted (it’s about his defense of Bill Cosby, and it’s horrendous). I wonder if I can link to it directly or somethin.

Fruitloopsie
Fruitloopsie

Der fyck what is wrong with people.

Miss Andry

Paul Elam looks like a pile of eyes and dog faces. Quite the improvement I must say 🙂

Bazia
Bazia

I saw that article by Elam, Miss Andry. I hope he blotted that thing before it could drip misogyny all over the rug — the only product that works on spots like those is puppy urine spray.

Anyway, sorry to derail but I thought it interesting that Davis Aurini has just posted a 40 minute rough draft of The Sarkeesian Effect on his youtube channel. I think maybe I have never seen so much mockery fodder crammed into such a short time period. This is going to be big – A Mockery Lollapalooza.

NothingClever
NothingClever

I just had to look at those AVfM memes.

Did you know that being “not commonly considered privileged” is a privileged?

NothingClever
NothingClever

Well, my link got lost. Trust me, it’s under the Unchecked Female Privilege meme.

banned@4chan.org
banned@4chan.org

Dear Scented Fucking Hard Chairs,

Admit it, you put a photo from Angkor Wat through this program, just so you could make that joke.

Sincerely,
The Comments Section of a Blog

Moggie
Moggie

OMG, Paul Elam may be the only person who looks less creepy after the dreamscope treatment. Obviously the solution to creepy eyes is more eyes everywhere.

Miss Andry

Here’s one I did of Alex Jones:

Miss Andry

And Donald Trump. Shit I’m an addict now.

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

This is the best thread ever.

I have a plugin that puts a quote from Donald Trump in between his name so I’m enjoying refreshing the page and seeing a different quote each time. Now two different quotes.

Tyra Lith
Tyra Lith

Hmm I don’t know, look at Davis Aurini: https://dreamscopeapp.com/i/em7h-c4aTH

Tyra Lith
Tyra Lith

(or don’t, because both the original and the deep dream-version WILL give you nightmares xD)

LordCrowstaff
LordCrowstaff

We can’t stop here, this is dog country.

sn0rkmaiden

Completely OT, but have any of you heard about how the woman who appeared in the Hollaback! video a while back is now suing the director for not paying her?

sn0rkmaiden

@Fruitloopsie,

I clicked on Judgypants’ link, but couldn’t be bothered to read the articles, just more boring carping as she desperately tries to make herself relevant. It does amuse me to see that The Examiner is obviously trying to nudge her away from them.

Tyra Lith
Tyra Lith

Just watched the video – this is going to be epic. I can bring beer and vegan chocolate muffins! 🙂

mockingbird
mockingbird
EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

That Aurini picture… Paging Dr. Lovecraft, Dr. Bierce and Dr. Derleth, your patient has arrived.

*shudder*

berdache from a previous life

No one has mentioned the “Weasels ripped my flesh” Men’s Life cover and Zappa? Had to remedy that. Frank would have loved Deep Dream and undoubtedly have included images from it in in his live shows.

@ Miss Andry and your Donald Trump image. I think that captures something essential about him, although, even Deep dream can’t quite convey the horror that is his hairpiece.

Is it possible to run Deep Dream separately on two parts of an image? Could you make his toupee do it’s own thing?

Would be willing to bet that the next Simpson’s episode with hallucinations in it will look like Deep Dream.

Falconer

@berdache:

It’s been featured here many, many times. I’m pretty sure someone has mentioned Zappa in relation to it before.

berdache from a previous life

@ falconer:

Aaah, OK, don’t know that much about the history of the blog. l meant in this thread. That’s where my mind went as soon as I saw the post title.

skiriki

You could isolate the Tribble he wears and run that as a separate image, and then combine the results in GIMP or Photoshop as layers.

Falconer

YOU CAN GET MORE OUT OF SEX

Yeah like maybe women don’t like it when you’re done and rolled over within two minutes.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

This might be my magnum opus.
comment image

Star-Eye Night.

SFHC: *slow clap*

Bina
Bina

SFHC: I love it! One of my very favorite Van Goghs, made even more awesome.

A.A. Wils

A photo of Chickaloon, Alaska. Transformed into to a bunch of dogs–maybe a dog-centipede at the bottom of the pic? The top I think is pretty cool, with the cloud transformed.

Alaska now has dragons.

That’s clearly a luck dragon in the clouds.
comment image

A.A. Wils

@Pandapool: Dragons are actually our “State Bird,” not the ptarmigan. Well…that’s not true, but I wish it was.

@Katz: Ooh, I love luck dragons. I’ve wished I could have one of my very own since I was 8 years old, when I first saw that movie.

fotocopiadora

now that deep dream has become an internet hit, i’m kind of curious about how google might go about further developing/promoting these kind of projects, basically because i don’t think horrifying abominations fit well aesthetically in google’s brand of wholesome technophilia.

i mean, i know there’s actual science at work there and stuff, and this is probably only a gimmicky side-effect, but hey, watching google trying to avoid the “Google, The Company That Probably Manages Your Emails, Summons Creatures From Before Time Itself” headlines fucking with their brand identity should be somewhat amusing.

thedxman

It’s Man-Bear-Pigs all the way…

alternatesteve90

@A.A. Wils: Heh, believe it or not, I first heard of Falcor & Sebastian from “Robot Chicken”, of all shows! =p

contrapangloss

A.A. Wils? Alaskan Fistbump! I now know of at least four of us among the commentariat. 🙂

Although, everybody knows our state bird is the mosquiter. They grow to the size of eagles, doncha know?