#gamergate evil SJWs racism

#GamerGate, meet #Ferguson; #Ferguson, meet #GamerGate

Not a video game
Not a video game

If you grit your teeth and do a search for #GamerGate and #Ferguson together on Twitter, you will find Tweet after Tweet from worried #GamerGaters earnestly imploring their comrades not to make any connections between the two hashtags. Why? Because they know that those who cross the streams are likely to Tweet things like the following.

This what happens when #GamerGaters try to make sense of what is happening in Ferguson.

Oh, and yes, these are all genuine #GamerGaters; check out their timelines for proof, and you’ll also see some of the terrible racist crap some of them have been tweeting and retweeting.

cassandrakitty

(I should have looked at your twitter before jumping on you, though, so sorry about that.)

M. the Social Justice Ranger
M. the Social Justice Ranger

I presume they meant the white “Hijacktivist” (what a stupid word) agitators that used the protests as an excuse to fuck shit up, knowing that the cops, media and racists would blame it on the protesters, and weren’t aware of the dogwhistle?

cassandrakitty

What I’m seeing so far actually seems to indicate selective targetting of businesses with predatory business models, though (like payday lenders), so I don’t think the term would apply even if it wasn’t a dogwhistle.

The outside agitators, though, they also can go step on all the damn legos. They showed up in Oakland for the verdict in the Oscar Grant case, too, and just like in Ferguson, nobody wanted them there.

paythepiper (@demonsthenes13)

Comparing gamergaters who are taking advantage of this situation to bolster their cause is actually just as relevant to those who did loot in Ferguson the other night. That being said, they were both bullshit tactics that have nothing to do whatsoever with the heart of the matter.

I’m actually going to say I’m very proud of how about midnight or so, the protesters you could see in updated pictures and vines and other assorted media outlets were nothing but peaceful in their demands for justice. Even during the initial negative reactions of those who were not riot control officers out there, you could see unity even among gang members who hated each other by code: bloods and crips were blocking stores. There were people holding up and trying to take a woman to get medical care after she had a heart attack, even though they were still being hit by tear gas. And afterwards, they still had a quiet sit in by the police station.

That beautiful conviction in the ones I’m proud of probably should have been mentioned earlier, but I refuse to mix that with gamergate.

cassandrakitty

I think part of my confusion here is that there is no point to gamergate, other than throwing a tantrum and hating women. So it’s not a case of “here is the point, and here’s how you missed it/fucked it up”. There was never anything good or worthwhile there to fuck up, which is why I’m not seeing any connection to anything going on in Ferguson.

cassandrakitty

What I mean is, even if someone wanted to say that, OK, maybe some of the response in Ferguson wasn’t as constructive as it could be (and if so, that didn’t represent the majority of what was happening anyway), people there have a legitimate reason to be very angry. Gamergaters, otoh, are enraged because someone wrote a less than enthusiastic review of Jiggle Volleyball 7, and that being the case I’m inclined to going to judge them far more harshly than anyone involved in anything going on in Ferguson, even people whose actions I might not entirely agree with. Does that make sense?

cassandrakitty

But anyway, obviously I misread your initial comment, paythepiper, so sorry about that and I’ll stop rambling now.

paythepiper (@demonsthenes13)

Just two irrelevant messages using this situation to piggyback on for their cause, whatever that ignorant cause may be. (Insert a lot of eye darting and twitching, because I can’t figure out the importance of their causes.)

cassandrakitty

As best as I can figure out the gamergate cause can be summed up as “GTFO of my treehouse”. Compelling, no?

ParadoxicalIntention
ParadoxicalIntention

Cassandrakitty:

Don’t forget how the evil wimmens also made games that didn’t meet our Bro Code Standards of Vidya Games (patent pending) like Gone Home! How DARE reviewers give a game I didn’t personally like a ten out of ten! Misandry! Discrimination! [/sarcasm]

But I agree. I’m going to judge them far more harshly as well, simply on the fact that GamerGate doesn’t seem to be about anything other than people throwing a tantrum that games aren’t catering to their specific desires all while trying to fling shit at people who they think are far too Politically Correct for their tastes (you know, like those ess-jay-dubbyas who think women’s only place in gaming shouldn’t be simply killable, sexy background decor in games).

Meanwhile in Furgeson, people actually have a right to be angry and upset. A child was killed while the killer not only gets a million dollars (roughly half from donations and the other rough half from interviews), but gets married (which people think may be so that she doesn’t have to testify because she knows something). Their cause is far more legitimate to me than “Ethics in gaming journalism”.

All that aside (please excuse me while I rant a bit), If GamerGate was actually about “Ethics in Gaming/Gaming Journalism” then I’d be more behind it. As a gamer myself, I get tired of the constant stream of shit that AAA developers think they can get away with pointing at their consumers, and I am sick of indie developers constantly indulging in the Streisand Effect by trying to astroturf their reviews and forums and silencing any critic who dares talk shit about their shit game by waving YouTube video copyright claims around like a dog turd on a stick. There’s actually quite a LOT wrong with game *developers*.

And yeah, there are journalists out there who don’t disclose who they’re getting paid to do reviews by, and that’s also equally shitty. However, many reviewers and Let’s Players are stepping up and understanding that their viewers/readers think it’s important for them to disclose this information, so they’re doing it.

I personally feel like the problem lies more with the developers rather than the people who report on the games. I find that the biggest gripes that Gators have with the reviewers is “They said something that I don’t/do agree with about a game I like/don’t like! Bias!”

But Gators are so focused on harassing female indie developers who have literally done nothing beyond existing and making games that Gators personally don’t like that it’s impossible to say they’re about any sort of “ethics” at all that are good for gaming going forward. Especially with some of the company they keep, and the policies they want to enact.

paythepiper (@demonsthenes13)

Well, that’s fine and dandy, I have my own blanket fort. Tis far more comfy and does not smell of “dewitos.”

ParadoxicalIntention
ParadoxicalIntention

Ah, they’re also focused on harassing people who dare say anything bad about gaming period. Case in point: Anita Sarkeesian.

cassandrakitty

I do reviews of a different kind of entertainment and from what I can see, yeah, gaming journalism really is a bit of a mess, but the idea that that’s what this is all about? Pull the other one, it has bells on.

cassandrakitty

I do think there’s a bit of “be a smarter consumer” in there too though. I read that Buzzfeed article someone linked to and that thing about the unfinished Assassins Creed game? Yeah, if the creators of an entertainment product won’t let anyone actually see it in full or review it properly before it’s released, that always means that they know it’s terrible. Works for every type of entertainment I can think of. If they’re doing that, don’t preorder it, because it’s going to suck.

Crissa
Crissa

Pointing out that there is, in fact, problems with ethics in games journalism, doesn’t at all validate ‘gaters. Their attempt to whitewash their attacks on women with this topic is just like the instigators that choose some peaceful protest to scoot in behind and smash windows. They’re using some other (probably valid) topic to excuse their (unrelated) violence. There’s not much difference between ‘gaters and violent anarchists in this case. Except the latter does mostly property damage and the former mostly stalking; it’s still various types of assault.

proxieme
proxieme

Heck, I figured this out as a movie viewer in my teens.

“There’s none of this movie’s actual footage in this preview.”

“That means that they have so little confidence in it that they can’t even edit together it’s clips in a pleasing way.”

proxieme
proxieme

*comes back to check on comments*

*sees own typo*

Does anyone know why iPhones seem to default autocorrect “its” to “it’s”?

Jimmy Calloway
Jimmy Calloway

Here’s a good article on the issues with games journalism and why #gamergate gets basically everything wrong (y’know, assuming they actually care about ethics in gaming journalism): http://calmdowntom.com/2014/10/8-ways-gamergate-is-hiding-real-problems-in-games-journalism/

Puddleglum

@proxieme, misandry. The answer to everything is misandry.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

trying to read these trolls is exhausting. do they all really have the same “these are false flags” argument?

weirwoodtreehugger

When a gamergater on Io9 tried to pull a #notallgaters on me, I gave him a link to that storify documenting the transphobic trash talk that occurred on 8Chan after a “moderate” and “nice” GGer posted his Twitter conversation with a woman. He never replied back to me. It shut him right up. Busted!

M. the Social Justice Ranger
M. the Social Justice Ranger

Honestly, when the only substantial difference between the trolls around here is whether they don’t understand adjectives or don’t understand verbs, can they really blame us for assuming that they’re one diarrhoetic dipshit under many thin socks?

freemage

beegees | November 25, 2014 at 9:19 pm

With that being said, I am of the belief that it is better to allow a guily man to go free than to lock an innocent man in jail. I know that this wasn’t a trial, but the forensic evidence against him was inconclusive and the witnesses contradicted one another. If there isn’t decent evidence, they shouldn’t indict him. As they say, there’s what you know and what you can prove. Yes, OJ went to trial, but remmember that there was some pretty strong evidence to make a case against him.

I’m not saying that the decision was good, but that these processes are in place to protect all of us. It doesn’t change the root of the problem; racism and viewing black people as inherently violent and criminal.

Thing is, there’s actually two problems conflated in Ferguson.

The first is the endemic racism in our society, yes.

The second is the nigh-immunity of the cops to act as they will.

The first means that the second falls upon minority communities much more strongly. The second, in turn, means that the communities affected have no reason to trust the ‘processes… in place to protect all of us.’ That claim, in and of itself, is a mark of privilege. I’m cis, white, het, male, (lower) middle-class. The system is set up to protect me, pretty much all around the board. Poor trans women of color? Not so much. “All” is not appropriate in this situation.

weirwoodtreehugger

As W.E.B. Dubois said “a system cannot fail those it was never meant to protect.”

Laws were made by the wealthy to protect the wealthy (as well as those who enforce those laws on their behalf). Since most of the wealthy rule makers in the US have been white cis male and straight, they system sometimes protects non wealthy people in those demographic categories as sort of a side effect.

M. Tremblay
M. Tremblay

Slightly off-topic: I seem to recall that the KKK had expressed support for Darren Wilson, and now I can’t shake up the feeling that the looters were KKK members trying to prove black people were violent. I even seem to remember reading something about it.

Problem is I don’t remember where I read that. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Did anyone read about that? Confirmation? Debunking? Anything?

proxieme
proxieme

GG’s totes winning hearts and minds:

Puddlegum: Yes.

weirwoodtreehugger

Proxieme,
Usually “don’t read the comments” is a good rule but apparently that’s not the case at the Mary Sue. This comment on that article wins the internet today

Hey Assassin’s Creed, it looks like Bloomberg Businessweek managed to animate a woman, and they’re not even a game studio.

Antonio Pe Yang III

//#GamerGate is more relevant to me than Ferguson because, well, I’m not a black Missourian, but I am a gamer.//

But… I thought #NotYourShield proved that most Gators are not entitled white dudes.

sparky
sparky

These trolls keep claiming that none of this is coming from “real” gamergaters.

I randomly checked out a couple of the people quoted in the OP. “Hotel Inspector 8255,” “Shota Loli Trap” and “Roguelzel” all have thousands of tweets, hundreds of followers, and appear to be actively tweeting support to @gamergate. If these aren’t real gamergaters, who are? Are there any actual gamergaters out there, or is everyone involved in gamergate not a true gamergater?

Hyatt
Hyatt

They’re all real GamerGaters until they say something that makes GG look bad. Then they’re just trolls co-opting the tag. But once they post something that gets popular with GG, then they’re GGers in good standing again.

shestooloud

Reblogged this on SHES TOO LOUD.

cassandrakitty

I’m pretty sure beegees has pulled this specific sort of nonsense before? Also, today in “words mean things”, property damage is not assault. Property is replaceable, people are not.

cassandrakitty

Also, is our friend Shota Loli Trap part of the super seekrit gamergate plan to win over Twitter and thus defeat the SJWs of doom? Cause honestly, you really couldn’t come up with a more “it came from 4chan!” name than “Shota Loli Trap”.

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

WUT, I think. Weak Understanding Troll, beegee.

beegees

@freemage, the “system” I’m referring to is the system of indictment that needs strong “probable cause” to charge someone; in other words the system that makes it difficult to bring criminal charges against a person. I was not referring to the criminal justice system in general.

I agree that this system is far too harsh on society’s underdogs. You are correct that I was far too generous when I implied that it was a system that protects everyone equally. It is not, and this is wrong.

BUT, and this is a big but, the solution should to tighten the system for minorities, not to loosen the system for everyone else. Remember, its the privileged that can afford the expense of a good lawyer and the time off from work. It’s the privileged that can weather the social stigma associated with being charged with a crime and found innocent, it the privileged that can expect to get a fair trial and don’t need the extra layer of protection of a suspicious grand jury. If I showed my privilege by overstating how much the system protects “all”, you showed your previlege by underestimating how much it already protects minorities. After all, as a privileged, middle class, (presumably) able-bodied, CIS, white male, you have the best chances of surviving a criminal trial.

Also, let’s also mention something about grand juries; grand juries have to (reasonably) believe that someone is likely guilty before they can indict them. It’s a lower standard than that needed in a criminal trial, but it’s still higher than “well there’s questions and disagreements about what happened”. There must be a “preponderance of proof” against a person.

@Cassandra, honestly I have no clue what you are talking about. I never compared destroying property to taking a human life ffs. Obviously they are not similar. I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you misread. However if you are going to start making shit up, then I’m going to have to start ignoring you.

beegees

*my bad, comparing property damage to assault, not killing someone. Still don’t know where that even came from. The rest of my post still stands.

beegees

Also, just to clarify the progressive levels of proof needed in the justice system; Legal Burden of Proof from Wikipedia. To indict there should be over 50% probability that the person is guilty.

weirwoodtreehugger

Wasn’t Beegees the one who argued that people getting welfare should be drug tested that one time? I seem to remember that I inadvertently started that fight by making an off comment about it.

weirwoodtreehugger

Off hand comment I mean.

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

I think by now everyone knows it is the Wall Street Traders who need the drug tests, and maybe the congresscritters here in the US.

cassandrakitty

Wasn’t beegees with the property damage is assault thing, btw, was Chrissa. Not that there’s much difference between the two in terms of their complete inability to get along with anyone else.

@ wwth

Seems like anything up to and including “hello” could start a fight with this one, so, you know, not really your fault that situation blew up.

kittehserf

Yes, she has, to the point where David put her on moderation for a while.

Wasn’t Beegees the one who argued that people getting welfare should be drug tested that one time? I seem to remember that I inadvertently started that fight by making an off [hand] comment about it.

Yup, that was the one.

beegees

Yes, I was the one that argued that TANF reciepients should be drug tested before recieving cash benefits. This was because cash benefits can be withdrawn at the ATM for actual physical cash.

If it makes you guys feel any better you actually changed my mind on this. I certainly never would want to deny anyone, addict or otherwise, living supplies, and testing for drugs and requiring treatment as a condition of recieving cash benefits unfairly targets addicts in just this way. I still think its a good idea to offer drug treatment though.

I’m fairly certain that it was emilygoddess that brought it up first, not you WWTH. 🙂 AFAIK the debate/discussion was already underway by the time you came in, WWTH. 🙂

@kittehs, my posts are still waiting for moderation. :/

@Cassandra, the comment about valuing humans the same as property wasn’t towards me? I didn’t see any sign that you had stopped talking about me, and you have to admit, it’s a hella offensive thing to accuse someone of. Regardless, I apologize for the mistake.

I offer warm hugs, hazelnut coffee, and friendship to everyone who wants some. See, I’m nice! 🙂 I would offer some Thanksgiving offerings, but I have yet to start cooking. >< Happy Thanksgiving to the USians on this board.

Now about my long post about probable cause…?

kittehserf

I’m leaving that up to David, beegees. If he’s still got you on moderation … ::shrug::

cassandrakitty

Feeling vaguely creeped out right now. Just me or no?

Alais

Jesus Christ, does every single troll fixate on Cassandra?

Also, it’s not surprising that Bob McCulloch didn’t get an indictment. It seems that he actively tried to avoid getting one.

O_o

Can I join in the creeped-out parade? How does an apology, admitting I was wrong, and a light-hearted attempt at levity turn me into a creeper troll that’s fixated on Cassandra? And how am I fixated on Cassandra anyway? I don’t know her, and AFAIR I’ve never talked to her. 9_9 And it’s apparent that she doesn’t know me very well either. 9_9

Does disagreeing with the popular sentiment in this place automatically turn someone into a troll arguing in bad faith? You guys obviously don’t know me very well, so lets drop the personal comments.

@Alainis

@Alais

Sorry about the name. My phone ate this twice so I hope it comes out ok.

Yes, its clear that the prosecutor didn’t want to indict. It’s obvious that he didn’t think the forensics proved Darren Wilson guilty and that he didn’t find the witnesses credible. (Although I think it’s bullshit to attack someone’s credibility based on mental illness, that’s another issue). But I fail to see why I should want the prosecutor to want to indict someone he didn’t think was guilty?

Look I’m honestly here in good faith. When I first heard about Micheal Brown I heard about a kid shot in the back while trying to surrender and I was horrified. But then the story started to change. The forensics proved Brown’s friend wrong. The forensics couldn’t prove the cop’s story wrong. Many of the witnesses supported the cop’s story or had issues with credibility.

Honestly I want to know why I should care that this weak ass case didn’t go to a criminal trial when there’s probably been tons of black kids shot by cops in the meantime. Where am I wrong?

Prosecutor’s literally have the power to put someone’s life or liberty in jeopardy with their decision to charge someone with a crime. I wish they were more reluctant to do it with people other than cops.

TheGeneral #146 (@p4ndiamond)

Well a fundamental issue with this “story ” is that it misses the fact that people within Gamergate can discuss openly these issues and if someone does get out of line they are called out. I can’t say the same for groups such as feminists and Afrocentric based movements which allow their supposed radicals to sit at the forefront untouched. All groups have various people of different affiliations within them , but the overall cultures of that group are what define how it may feel and if it allows those things to be normalized. Hearing this won’t make me jump to the defensive as I have no need. I am a black gamergate supporter and that is perfectly fine.