#gamergate 8chan a woman is always to blame antifeminism creepy douchebaggery doxing drama kings entitled babies gross incompetence harassment hate homophobia transphobia video games zoe quinn

Teacher: "Don't be a creep. Embrace women in gaming." GamerGaters: Welcome to "the House of Pain."

Unfortunately, GamerGaters aren't action figures.
Unfortunately, GamerGaters aren’t action figures.

GamerGaters sometimes try to rebut charges of misogyny by pointing out that the targets of their wrath aren’t only women. And that’s true. They also target men … who stand up for women.

Mike Stuchbery, a writer and teacher in England, recently aroused the wrath of the Gaters by posting a brief essay titled “A Letter To The Gamerdudes In My Classes” on his blog. In the essay, he wrote “[d]on’t be part of the mob that attacks whichever target GamerGate is going after this week.”

So now he’s become “the target GamerGate is going after this week.” Or one of them, anyway.

The essay that so angered the Gaters is about as mild a criticism of their movement as you can imagine.

Stuchbery, after noting his own love of video games like Skyrim and Assassin’s Creed, simply suggested to his male students that they “stay away” from GamerGate.

He noted that the whole thing started with a blog post by Eron Gjoni,the angry ex-boyfriend of game developer Zoe Quinn – something Stuchbery said he thought was “a bit of a jerk move” on Gjoni ‘s part.

He then went on to describe the harassment and threats directed at Quinn and other women involved in the gaming world, threats that have forced many of the targeted women out of their homes. “Now, it might just be me, but don’t you think that there is something very, very wrong here?” he asked.

The movement that arose in the wake of these events, #GamerGate, claims that it’s not about sexism.They claim that their movement is about journalistic ethics, keeping games magazines about games and not preaching any particular message. …

However, every time a woman speaks up to say ‘Hey, maybe we could change things, make gaming more friendly for women!’, she gets threatened with murder and rape. …

[E]very time a woman speaks up about abuse or harassment she’s received within the gaming scene, she’s forced to leave her home for fear of attack.

There’s a word for the kinds of people who make the kinds of threats that Quinn, Wu and Sarkeesian have received: Creeps.

Hateful, misogynist creeps.

Uh oh. The c-word. If there’s one thing misogynistic assholes hate more than women, it’s being called creeps.

Actually, I think I’ve got that backwards. But trust me, they hate it.

Stuchbery went on to make these radical suggestions:

Guys, I urge you, if you see this stuff online, don’t join in.  …

Don’t be a creep.

Embrace women in gaming.

Apparently, to the assembled masses over on 8chan, these were fighting words. And so the angry mob began to form, in the thread archived here.

The angry and not-very-well-infomed mob, that is. Though Stuchbery has an unequivocally male name, and identifies himself as Mr. Mike Stuchbery on Twitter, many of the angry mobsters assumed he was a she. (Each of these posts are taken from different parts of the thread; see the link above for full context. Also note that all commenters are automatically assigned the name “The Leader of Gamergate.”)

The Leader of Gamergate  10/21/14 (Tue) 13:07:38 ID: b53cd7 No.227893 Find her info and complain to whatever authority is pimping her.

The Leader of Gamergate  10/21/14 (Tue) 13:41:37 ID: 3b03b4 No.228285>>228295>>228304>>228340>>228348>>231186>>236977>>237922  File (hide): 1413916896731.gif (2.6 MB, 459x459, 1:1, K0bUm.gif) >>227869 (OP)  OK guys I know we have a policy against calling for someone to be fired, but this is different.  This is a school teacher abusing her position to indoctrinate children using vile propaganda.  Email her school right now and demand her to be removed from that position and reprimanded for her actions.

The Leader of Gamergate  10/21/14 (Tue) 14:27:03 ID: 32d0c7 No.228980 >>227869 (OP) >Turning true in half-lies and lies in half-trues  I am platinum mad, she is a sick person to do this to kids

Oh, but GamerGate isn’t about women!

Here’s how one of the commenters responded to the news that Mr. Mike Stuchbery was in fact a Mr.

The Leader of Gamergate  10/21/14 (Tue) 14:18:56 ID: 6d0738 No.228829 >>228304  You shouldn't judge people like that. Mike may very well be a beautiful trans-woman that just hasn't had her name changed, or may even be against changing her name just to fit the patriachy's view of what a woman's name should be like.

Even those who did manage to get Mr. Mike Stuchbery’s gender correct, and managed to avoid making grotesquely transphobic jokes about it, didn’t take their fact-checking much beyond that. The commenters simply assumed that Stuchbery had presented his essay to his class in an attempt to “indoctrinate” them, though there’s nothing on Stuchbery’s site that would suggest this.

Indeed, when I asked him directly, this is what he wrote to me:

I simply posted it on my blog in response to chatter I hear in the corridors. It was kind of an open letter. There was no reading it out in class

But apparently getting basic facts right doesn’t matter much to a GamerGate mob intent on exacting “justice” upon a man they described variously as a “dipshit,” a “cunt,” a “faggot,” and “a shill that cannot be redpilled.”

The Leader of Gamergate  10/21/14 (Tue) 14:34:55 ID: f9a139 No.229124 >>229100 THREADLY REMINDER THAT THIS IS ACTUAL INDOCTRINATION IN FRONT OF OUR EYES

The Leader of Gamergate  10/21/14 (Tue) 13:43:16 ID: 563ea4 No.228313 >trying to brainwash children with your personal agenda because you're a limp dicked liberal wanker who wants to get laid by some ugly feminist hag really bad and convincing adults that your hogwash is worth a shit is too hard  lmao where do we report him to?

The Leader of Gamergate  10/21/14 (Tue) 14:28:19 ID: f9a139 No.228999  File (hide): 1413919699793.gif (425.71 KB, 639x360, 71:40, 1413786309433.gif) >>228704 YES YES YES!!! WE'RE FIGHTING FOR THE PEOPLE HERE!!! IT'S NOT HIS FUCKING BUSINESS WHAT HIS STUDENTS TWEET!!!  >POST YFW WE'RE REAL SOCIAL JUSTICE

The Leader of Gamergate  10/22/14 (Wed) 06:10:49 ID: dc56d3 No.239463>>239529 >>239325 If the parents are informed about this the guy will get fired 100%.  In the emails we have to inform them about the situation and ofcourse the parents should know. I would sue the school if they didn't fire a teacher indoctrinating my kids.

The Leader of Gamergate  10/22/14 (Wed) 06:20:47 ID: 02a5bb No.239529 >>239463 >In the emails we have to inform them about the situation  I'm trying to find where to email. This piece of shit seems to be keeping the exact school he "teaches" at a secret. Gee, wonder why.

So this is how it works now.

If you’re a teacher, and you post an open letter on your blog in which you suggest to your male students that they not join up with an online mob that actively harasses and threatens women … that mob will harass you, and doxx you, and try to get you fired. Or at least, as one of the mob put it, “[r]emoved: transferred to another class or whatever, but he can’t keep teaching those kids, not after what he done.”

Or at least after what they think “he done.”

Another one of the mobsters added this ominous note: “as it says in the Book of Gamergate: ‘He who breaks the law goes back to the House of Pain.'”

Now, I should add that some people in the thread — more than a few — suggested that doxxing was bad, and that maybe trying to get a dude fired wasn’t the way to go. One commenter urged fellow Gaters to get back to targeting advertisers instead of, and I kid you not, “going off on sidequests that wont get us any xp.” (That is, “Experience Points.”)

Others thought it would make their side look bad.

The Leader of Gamergate  10/21/14 (Tue) 14:48:00 ID: b88b10 No.229368>>229419>>229427>>238675 >>229269 How can I NOT report this? By not doing it. By getting back to emailing advertisers. I seriously don't want to have to fucking deal with "GamerGate is now targeting school teachers", you don't want that spin either. It's not our place to do this, and I really think starting this line of actions is a bad idea.

STARTING this line of actions? GamerGate has been about harassment from the very start, even before it was called GamerGate.

Other commenters responded to the calls for “moderation” with open hostility:

The Leader of Gamergate  10/22/14 (Wed) 05:49:45 ID: 02a5bb No.239325>>239463 >>238839 >I'm not interested in him getting fired at all.   You want this piece of shit to indoctrinate children? Get the fuck out. I'm serious, get the fuck out. You have no place here.

I actually agree with that last bit. If you’re involved in GamerGate and this kind of witchhunt disturbs you, take the hint and get out.

At this point, after all the revelations about what this online mob has done and is doing to fuck up people’s lives, you should realize just what it is you are a part of. You are, as Stuchbery has pointed out, part of a hate group.

Even if you aren’t personally harassing anyone, you are part of an online mob that is. And if you’re on 8chan’s /gg/ board, you’re on a board that is proving to be one of the central organizing hubs of this harassment.

Don’t worry about LOOKING bad. You ARE BAD.

If you have a decent bone left in your body, you need to do everything in your power to shut down this angry mob, end the harassment and threats and witchhunts, and bring an end to GamerGate.

math
math

Off topic, but where can I buy those action figures? Thanks.

@ Misha

Theirs. It seems to be a consistent thing, this assumption that they make that feminists want to punish men for not being conventionally manly enough, and it’s just so weird. I mean I know that in their minds “feminist” is the same thing as “woman saying or doing something I don’t like” but come on now, guys, read a book or something.

Misha
Misha

It is very weird. Tbh, my go-to conclusion when the “feminists bully men and boys who don’t comply with masculine gender roles” argument popped up used to be “They’re just saying this to deliberately wind people up. Stupid trolls”. It took a while to accept that some (many?) folks actually, genuinely believe this.

Although ‘Feminists = Women We Don’t Like’ is a cracking point.

There may not be enough books in the world.

mildlymagnificent

Honestly. All this crap about people “laughing at nerds” playing games for the last 20 years. That’s not how I remember it.

All I remember about games is the kids having Mario and Zelda and a few others in the 90s. And all of us played or watched. My only “thought” – but that’s far too strong a word – about other people playing games was that it was good to be able to play at home because video game parlours were not generally regarded as good places for younger kids to spend too much time, let alone the money.

Video games were just another kind of game – card games, board games, table games, other games (like charades and similar no-cards-no-equipment games), even jigsaws count once you’re into >2000 piece or weird complexity (circular, 3D, edgeless, double-sided, no picture) territory. And that’s pretty much how other families we knew regarded games.

cassandrakitty

If the game was D&D then maybe there was some social stigma, but video games? Please. There were game machines in every pizza parlor when I was a kid.

pallygirl
pallygirl

LOL at the pathetic “gamer” dudes. My introduction to games was my C64. As soon as I started buying games for it, I also started buying magazines and books to teach myself how to program games on it – which I was doing in the first month of buying my computer. In BASIC. Using sprites. Programming in sound, note by note. After my vocational training course finished, every Wednesday afternoon I was down the arcade with the guys, normally playing 4-person Gauntlet. Which had a playable female character. In 1985.

So before these “gamer dudebros” were even a fertilized zygote, let alone shitting in their nappies, I was a gamer.

Get fucked with the cultural appropriate shite. Women have always been involved in gaming.

By December 2003, Playstation and PSOne had shipped over 102 million units (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation), which is almost 11 years ago.

Xbox: sold over 24 million consoles by 10 May 2006 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox), which is over 8 years ago.

With sales figures like that, gaming has not been a nerd activity for over a decade. Gamer dudebros, gamers are not a small, marginalised group. Given the cost of some of the systems, add-ons (headsets with mics, better controllers, controller adaptions, etc), and the cost to purchase the games when they are just released, gamers are some of the most privileged people on the planet.

And if you’re using pirated software, tell me again about how gamergate is all about ethics.

naira8

Hi Mike,

I know I’m late to the party, but I want to say thank you and I’m so sorry.

Luzbelitx

“Feminists want to force men to be Real Manly Men” is one of the oddest reversals I’ve seen in a while. Huh?

I think it goes as far as “Feminists want to force men to be Manliest Menz so they can hate them for it”

That would close the projection circle…

Luzbelitx

Block

Luzbelitx

Blockquote Mammoth’d

Anarchonist
Anarchonist

On the other hand, apparently feminists love nothing as much as ’emasculating’ men and taking away their manly things. In other words, feminists seek to destroy the masculine manly man identity and turn all men into emasculated wimps, only to then… point and laugh at them for not being masculine manly men enough?

I admit I’m still relatively new to this whole feminism stuff, so please, can someone tell me what sense that’s supposed to make?

They seem to perceive feminists as these twisted creatures causing havoc for shits and giggles, and fail to see that the only thing that’s twisted here is their goddamn logic.

@Bear:

some GG-er is now claiming that people who call themselves gamers but are “not true gamers” (like a mom who plays Candy Crush) are culturally appropriating “gamer culture.”

OH MY GOD THEY REALLY DON’T UNDERSTAND THAT WORDS MEAN THINGS

This is just too silly. Like claiming that Disney’s Brave is racist towards Scots or something.

cassandrakitty

Feminists are the evil version of Puck from A Midsummer Night’s Dream. We create havok, not for shits and giggles, but because we’re evil. So like a Puck/witch/orc hybrid.

davidknewton
davidknewton

I happened across an enlightening Youtube comment in one of the Auriowen apology shambles videos that genuinely expresses that worry:

The way he sees it, he isn’t allowed to do anything dangerous or manly any more so this fantasy world is the only place real men have left, and even allowing women into man-hobbies once in a while kills them outright.

Lea
Lea

Cultural appropriation?!?

They’re now appropriating appropriation?

*headdesk*

vaiyt

There’s a gigantic logic leap here, from “we own gamer culture” to “we own gaming”. That’s the big problem – they want to pretend these two statements are one and the same.

cassandrakitty

I kind of want to pat them on the head, like “Aw, did you learn a new word? Yes you did!”

Buttercup Q. Skullpants

Back in the day (like, the ’80s and ’90s) video game arcades were considered to be dens of juvenile delinquency, drugs, and fighting. There was a lot of hand-wringing in the media over the effects of video games on desensitization, lowered empathy, heightened aggression and anger, etc. It was supposedly the domain of antisocial “dark triad” bad-boy types (think Daniel Desario from Freaks and Geeks).

In my town, the arcade was definitely where the rough kids hung out after school. Teenagers went there to find romance, settle scores, drink furtively, and waste time. Nerds never went anywhere near there. So no, GamerGaters: you didn’t invent gaming, and you don’t own it. You yourselves “culturally appropriated” it from others.

These people really need a session inside the Total Perspective Vortex.

Skye
Skye

I recall media hand-wringing, especially around Columbine, but arcades were normal places to hang out where I lived. There were mini arcades at movie theaters, roller rinks and miniature golf courses. Even some small family restaurants had a ‘play area’ for kids that included a few arcade games. I went to large arcades with my whole family.

Binjabreel

I think that’s what pisses me off about it most- that it’s like they desperately *want* to be ostracized and hated for being gamers because that means they don’t have to face up to the fact that they’re probably among some of the most comfortable and privileged people in society. That or it lets them ignore the fact that the reason they’re ostracized has nothing to do with the fact that “they like games” and everything to do with the fact that “they’re hateful bastards”.

cassandrakitty

In the places I lived gaming was just a really banal, ordinary thing that almost all kids did. Trying to turn it into some sort of mark of outsider status seems like arguing that you were a lonely outcast despised by all your peers because sometimes you ate pizza at the mall food court.

freemage

Binjabreel: This is a common reaction among privileged folks whose privilege is threatened. MRAs generally fall into that category, as do conservative Christians in America who react in much the same way when told that no, they can’t have the Ten Commandments posted in a school.

Daeran Zemaitis: In response to your question, yes, “irrational” is a better term in general for the phenomenon you’re talking about than the various mental-illness slurs. Also “logic fail” and “twisted/warped thinking/logic”. I do understand–I was making the same errors not all that long ago, just because the language is so common in our culture.

weirwoodtreehugger

To clarify, that “cultural appropriation” rant was a Gawker comment, not a tweet. Somebody just linked to it on twitter I guess.

The good new is he got smacked down by lots of other commenters, including me, for that stupid little comment.

As much as they love to accuse feminists and “SJWs” of playing the “victim card” they sure are eager to claim the marginalized class status. Which in and of itself is proof that they really are privileged and not oppressed. As a woman, I would love to live in a misogyny free world. I don’t want to be a marginalized class! I can’t speak for people of color or LGBTQ people, but I have to imagine they feel similarly.

cassandrakitty

FFS, dudes, you are not Gollum and games are not the one ring. Stop embarrassing yourselves.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

Anybody see this beautiful piece of art from the gamergators yet? (Let’s see if it will embed)

My most favoritest part is the little “Fez 2 cancelled” in the lower left, which if you’ll recall was 100% the fault of the gamergators.

cassandrakitty

What they meant it to read as – Look at this poor cute little moe character being accused of all these things! Don’t you feel guilty for oppressing her, feminaziliberalpcwarriors?

How it actually reads – Holy shit get me away from these guys! And make them stop drawing me with blow up doll mouth!

Lea
Lea

My first boyfriend once took me to the arcade to show me that all of the high scores on Galaga had my name next to them. I didn’t play Galaga. It was so sweet, like he had carved our names in a tree.

When my husband and I were dating a hot date was going to a greasy spoon and playing pinball and arcade games. (On Sundays we watched Victory Garden #bornold)

Aw. Memories. Old, old memories from so very, very long ago.

Video gaming has been around for so long that I have nostalgia associated with it. How many ‘gaters were even out of diapers then? These whiny dudes are not new adapters. They didn’t create gaming or it’s fandom. These sexist little shits do not own one of the most popular hobbies on the planet today.

The teenage, “Can Timmy and Suzy come out and play” is “DarkLord666 and BunnyWigglesworth are online”. That’s how in our lives gaming is. More people are gaming everyday and these whiny, hateful dudes can rage all they want. As much bad press as they have given gaming, it isn’t going to stop. Gaming is part of popular culture.

Punishing women and girls for being a part of something so ubiquitous isn’t just a problem with gaming. It’s everywhere. The same goes for racism, homophobia, classism, ablism and transphobia. Bigotry poisons gaming just like it does everything else. It’s funny. In their attempts to use “radical” and “Social Justice Warrior” as slurs, These ‘gaters have made me far more aware of why I should be more radical and why I should be concerned about social justice.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

@cassandrakitty:

I was thinking the exact same thing. Especially when you consider that #GamerGate and #NotYourShield are present in the image as text, so the anime girl is being depicted as distinct from gamergate. Which then gives you a healthy dose of irony with the big #NotYourShield, because guess who is literally being depicted as a shield standing between the accusatory text and the #GamerGate hashtag?

cassandrakitty

I guess this is definitive proof that they’re MRA affiliated, that they’re useless at making propaganda posters.

Misha
Misha

Awww. That made me happy :).

Reminded me of when himself, a couple of years ago, shyly showed me the Xbox profile he’d made for me on his console. It was the equivalent of moving my toothbrush into the bathroom.

Aww, that is really sweet!

And he went on to work on a SHIELD helicarrier.

Skye
Skye

Lea, that story about your first boyfriend is all sorts of adorable.

Ooh, pinball machines! I used to love those. I was especially good at the Jurassic Park one. 🙂

Shiraz
Shiraz

That lame-ass graphic above…really? “Bring Back Bullying”?

Gamerbros, we get it, you resent women in gaming because it threatens your fragile masculinity — ’cause, gaming is the way a non-jock expresses manliness, right? That’s what you think gaming is for everyone, but you’re wrong. Games are mainstream.
You’re not misfit heroes, you’re just a bunch of assholes who don’t think women should be treated like human beings. I mean, I’ve seem some of these guys use gaming as a reason for not getting laid — and it’s truly funny. Gaming as a social crutch, that’s their pretend game. Another one of their pretend games is that women never worked almost exclusively in programming. They repeat the lie, revise history and try to forge reality based on their self-serving motives. It works too, expecially when they spread a little Evo Psych Bullshit over everything. Man, EPB fucks everything up.

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

I think you are mistaken, cassandra. I think they are gollum, in the Smeagol days.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

Also, for what it’s worth, here’s the Wikipedia article for Gamergate with some unexpected content… https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamergate

Hah hah, the revision history on that page is hilarious.

mistyful
mistyful

Off on a totally separate tangent here….

One of the many tweets I’ve looked at recently (no idea where) mentioned how Social Justice Warrior sounds totally badass. For some reason that made me think of Jim Carrey in The Mask, where he stands tall and proclaims that these powers can make him become……A SUPER HERO!!

Now, even though I’m not exactly an advocate, I will never be able to see the SJW tag without hearing it sounded out in that (omg awesome) voice. I guess now I just have to live up to it, because it tickles me pink.

Nop
Nop

@cassandrakitty
“FFS, dudes, you are not Gollum”
Oh, I dunno, they sure act like him.

mildlymagnificent

anarchonist

On the other hand, apparently feminists love nothing as much as ‘emasculating’ men and taking away their manly things. In other words, feminists seek to destroy the masculine manly man identity and turn all men into emasculated wimps, only to then… point and laugh at them for not being masculine manly men enough?

The Feminist High Council did build this maze in the basement at Headquarters. Unfortunately, every minotaur that’s been trained to solve it has finished up sitting quietly in a corner with its back to everyone. We’ll now have to wait for improvements from the minotaur breeding program before we can offer this service.

mildlymagnificent

Shiraz

Games are mainstream.

Just like films. I don’t like rom coms or horror or a couple of other common types of films. Other people here would hate filmed operas or several other things that I do like. That doesn’t make me or anyone else worse or better or smarter or sillier than others with other preferences.

There are major mainstream films. There are not so major as well as minor and niche film types that appeal to particular audiences. Games are much the same. The equivalent of GGs in film would be arguing that the only type of film acceptable would be Hollywood blockbusters and that people who like animated films or Bollywood or 40s noir films or 50s Westerns should shut up and go away.

Why can’t they say they like what they like and they dislike some things that other people like. End of.

Amananta

So – “Gamergaters” are claiming women who game “aren’t real gamers?

That’s funny, I figured they were spending so much time on 4chan and twitter trolling people they couldn’t be real gamers. Real gamers spend too much time gaming to worry about sexist crap like this.

Amananta

And (sorry for double comment) as far as that goes, I am a long time “hardcore gamer”, and few people in the hardcore game community, male or female, have the time or patience for this kind of thing. A few do behave like this, but not many – and it’s about the same amount as behave like sexist scum anywhere else in the general population. You know. “That Guy.” There’s always That Guy.
Everyone knows 4chan is a haven for the worst trolls on the internet. They are like the junior MRA league, I guess.

drummosquito

“If the parents are informed about this the guy will get fired 100%”

This sentence is strangely more revealing to me than all of the sexist gibberish. It points clearly to something I’ve seen hinted at in a lot of GGr posts and tweets—somehow, for some reason, they believe they are the mainstream. Or at least that people who oppose them are “radicals” whose views would never be accepted in polite society.

Seriously, think about it. Whoever wrote this believes that if parents of high school students found out that one of their kids’ teachers wrote a post on his blog imploring his students not to associate with people who send rape and death threats –who send BOMB THREATS to schools— that their reaction would be to demand he was fired.

They think that a teacher is going to be fired for posting a pretty basic anti-bullying message on his blog.

I think we all know that the average parents’ reaction would be more like “what’s gamergate?” followed by “well, it sounds like I don’t want my kid involved in anything like that. Glad Mr. Stuchbery is on top of this stuff.”

seranvali

Mike Stuchbery said:

“I have, over the years, taken on powerful evangelical churches, right-wing fascist groups and the conservative party in Australia through my writing.

I have never been treated like this. This is a new, toxic phenomenon.”

And hopefully you never will again. And yes, it’s completely vile. These guys are quite…unballenced and seem entirely incapable of reason or the ability to listen to themselves and hear what they’ve become. I’m sorry you fell foul of them, for trying to teach your students how to be decent human beings, no less.

I’m so glad you came by, it’s great to meet you!

Misha
Misha

And another troll comes to necro a thread.

Shut up seranvali.

Misha
Misha

Oh crap, sorry seranvali! We’ve had a few drive-bys recently resurrecting old threads, I confused Mike Stuchbery with John Allman!