#gamergate bullying creepy harassment twitter zoe quinn

#GamerGater declares "the only harassers are anti-GGers." Then sexually harasses an anti-GamerGate woman

This shirt available in men's and women's styles
This shirt available in men’s and women’s styles

Sexual harassment: it’s not just something that dudes do. And here’s a little story from the GamerGate wars on Twitter to demonstrate this.

Yesterday, an anti-GamerGate Twitterer known as directed a question to Adobe Software. And got an indignant reply from a GamerGater known as Cameralady.

Now, this response is interesting for several reasons.

For one, Cameralady on Twitter, called that because she is the, er, camera lady for the YouTube channel ShortFatOtaku, is the same Cameralady I ran across repeatedly when going through those logs of the #burgersandfries IRC channel, one of the main organizing hubs of the campaign of harassment that became #GamerGate.

Cameralady, one of the angriest commenters in that angry bunch, showed up in the IRC channel on August 23rd ready to do battle with Zoe Quinn, who she claimed had once “belittled me for having autism.”

She turned out to be an indefatigable researcher, digging up a great deal of dirt about Quinn’s past, including what she said was a photo of Quinn at age 13. And she passed along lurid gossip from Zoe’s terrible ex about her sex life.

Here’s the charming way Cameralady introduced herself to the IRC channel, the log of which you can find online here. (I’ve removed some unrelated comments, indicating cuts with ellipses. )

Aug 23 01.51.50 <Cameralady> fuck zoe quinn

Aug 23 01.52.08 <Cameralady> she’s not interested in equality she’s interested in stuffing her flappy cunt with flaacid boy penises
Aug 23 01.52.14 <TechPriest> So your in this to take her down, and dehumanize her because she deserves it

….

Aug 23 01.52.38 <foTTS> To be honest, I wouldn’t credit her with depression quest since she only provided 75 lines for it, Cameralady
Aug 23 01.52.54 <Cameralady> that’s less than the lines of cum she’s swallowed

Aug 23 01.53.26 let’s al capone her

On another occasion, she thought about releasing all the dirt she found on Quinn to the world.

Aug 23 18.57.47 <Cameralady> there’s a part of me that is evil and says MAKE A BIG DOXX AND RELEASE IT AND SHIT ON ZOE MOOOORE …
Aug 23 18.57.57 <Cameralady> but the rational part of me is “what no what will that even do”
Aug 23 18.58.18 <W334800> exactly, give her more attention her current monstrous form craves
Aug 23 18.58.34 <rd0952> attention is not the same as punishment

You may also recall in one of my previous posts about the IRC log that I quoted someone fantasizing about starting a relationship with Quinn just so she could “dump her in the most brutal, heartwrenching way possible.”  That was Cameralady.

So that’s one of the interesting things about this alleged opponent of harassment.

The other one?

Well, shortly after Tweeting about how only anti-GamerGaters harass people, she sexually harassed an anti-GamerGater.

When someone called her on it, Cameralady accused him of homophobia:

No, I’m pretty sure what we’re talking about isn’t lesbianism (or misogyny) but harassment. When you say, to a woman you’re having an argument with on Twitter, that you want her to prove something “preferably in a post-coitus conversation with me, grrl,” that’s harassment, not a clever pickup line. Regardless of your gender.

Especially since this isn’t the first time that Cameralady has crudely “propositioned” Izzy Mariana on Twitter. Indeed, a week ago, they had this exchange:

B0gxheoCUAAF9Cq

Indeed, to even call these “propositions” is a bit misleading. These are attempts to rattle Mariana by addressing her in a crudely sexual way, not serious attempts to ask her out.

Are any GamerGaters calling out Cameralady for this behavior? No, they’re trying to pretend that she’s being oppressed as a lesbian — for sexually harassing a woman who already told her to get lost.

GamerGaters always deflect accusations of harassment by saying that “we don’t know if the harassers are GamerGaters.” Well, here’s an example of a rather prominent GamerGater sexually harassing a woman in broad daylight on Twitter — and all her GamerGater comrades can do is deny and deflect and throw out accusations of homophobia.

Oh, and give Cameralady virtual high-fives for her harassing tweet — which at the moment boasts seven favs and retweets, all of them from active GamerGate supporters.

Such ethics. So anti-harassment.

EDITED TO ADD: According to this Storify, Cameralady has done this to at least one other person.

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer

@Castaigne:
I didn’t even read the author name there at first, but when that article started talking about ‘the band of monkeys known as “the cultural left”‘ I just knew that it was Clark that had written that one, and not Ken. Ken is a bit of a free speech absolutist, but consistent in that position; I can respect that even when I disagree. Clark… I don’t even know how to describe him. Libertarian Anarchist? He’s most of why I don’t read Popehat anymore. Calling the pro-SJ forces ‘pinks’ and implying they were the ones that decided to make this into a gigantic explosion, calling Scalzi an ideologue on Twitter and being proud of that… yeah, not someone I really want to deal with more than necessary. Not to mention the references to ‘Alinsky’s battle plan’.

Bina
Bina

Aaand oopsie’d by David above.

Well, anyhow. The point about harassment still stands, so nyeahh.

Luzbelitx

Thanks for the heads up, David!

I still question all her other claims. HA!

Luzbelitx

So it seems that today the marching orders of GamerGate are as follows

I bet they just went “let’s get evidence of the OVERWHELMING HARRASSMENT against us!”

Which would produce the steps as you described them.

strivingally

Also I stopped being wiling to extend CL any benefit of the doubt when she OPENLY SOLICITED DEATH THREATS on Twitter just for the purpose of mocking Zoe Quinn.

Anybody with a shred of empathy for people suffering harassment, or who actually knows what it’s like to be on the receiving end of a deluge of people hating you, wouldn’t be asking her trollish brethren to send her threats so she can be held up as the “See? She just laughed it off, why don’t you?” poster girl.

I’ll see if I can dig up the relevant Tweet, it was a couple days ago.

kobun37
kobun37

What is it with people trying to use a mental illness as a shield against criticism when they (or others) act like abusive assholes? Just like having a mental illness doesn’t mean you’re automatically a horrible person, it doesn’t give you a “get out of responsibility for your actions free” card.

We’re not criticizing Cameralady for being autistic. We’re saying she’s a horrible person because she is harassing and abusing people.

strivingally

Here’s the most recent time, which was directly after she’d had a lengthy conversation with ZQ basically calling her a coward for not wanting to continue talking with people openly hostile to her:

And here’s an earlier one:

As was said earlier, whether or not you’re an asshole has nothing to do with whether or not you have a condition that lies on the ASD spectrum. It’s just another GG “use SJW speak against SJWs because words don’t actually mean things” trick.

Mewens
Mewens

I’ve never read popehat before, but if that article’s typical of its output, I’m never reading it again. I’m not sure which I found more eye-rollingly pretentious: the overplay of gamerghazi (it’s totally part of an eternal war fought since the dawn of modern history!) or the smug, “let me tell you how the world works, there’s two kinds of people” biological determinism.

(There’s also the implied contradiction of citing millions of years’ worth of evolution and then calling the “kulturkampf” a thousand-year war. Urg, that whole article just riled me up.)

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

Yeah, I’m confident I won’t be clicking any more popehat links, either.

AbsintheDexterous
AbsintheDexterous

They’re some horrible gaslighting bastards. I think the rule is, “anything they’ve accused their opponents of is something they’re in the middle of doing”.

I completely agree. It’s nothing but projection, obtusification, and gaslighting.

And really, who are they trying to fool? No, seriously, who are they trying to fool?

Pretty much anyone who has been on the internet since the late 80s/early 90s knows about the group of trolling shitheads who troll because they’re assholes. There’s entire articles, blog posts, funny pictures, etc. about “how to be a troll” that pretty much sums up every single thing the trolls are doing. We’ve had about 20-30 fucking years to study Trollus Assholus in xie’s natural environment.

People are really tired of this shit. We were tired of it back in the 90s. We were tired of it in the last decade. We know you’re shitweasels, perhaps you might want to stop being shitweasels? Try that for a change?

Instead, they go for the old n’ moldy, unoriginal stagnating beliefs and methods that are so transparent, some guy just walked through it and wondered what that shattering sound was. If you manage to make a majority of the internet hate you, you are still a shitweasel, and no, your “Achievement Unlocked” badge will not be coming in the mail. All you win is a trophy of socks that smell just as horrid as your pathetic desperation.

strivingally

@AbsintheDextrous, that was a thing of beauty. May I quote you on my blog? 🙂

In happier GG news The Onion’s sister publication Clickhole (pretty much a piss-take of Buzzfeed-type clickbait sites) posted this hilarious satirical piece that seems to be exactly what the GG intimidation machine is going for:

A Summary Of The Gamergate Movement That We Will Immediately Change If Any Of Its Members Find Any Details Objectionable

Periphrastic
Periphrastic

She’s been around for awhile on Youtube–but, this is granted secondhand because I haven’t been willing to comb through the videos myself, but what I’ve been told is that she’s always behind-the-scenes on the Short Fat Otaku stuff, that maybe once there was a woman’s voice that was supposedly her? One instance of there being a female voice plus a lot of things in which she has no name, no voice, no videos of her own, no pictures, no identifying information, and then she’s conveniently everything GG thinks it needs to defend itself from criticism? Yeah, I don’t buy it. Not that a lesbian on the spectrum couldn’t be this poorly-behaved, but it’s awfully convenient that she’s a lesbian on the spectrum who talks like and acts like and completely 100% agrees with a bunch of straight guys about absolutely everything ever.

I mean, does anybody REALLY believe that her grudge in all of this is actually that Zoe Quinn really used an anti-autism insult against her once? And if she lied about that from the beginning of her involvement with GG, why should we believe any other word she says?

chaltab
chaltab

Even if ‘aspie’ is not considered a slur in some contexts using it in that way (you gross fucking aspie) is definitely not okay… Of course, GamerGate realizes that it was not actually Wu’s account.

Reminds me of the other day someone said they supported GG for the sake of TWOC safety and acted like I had said something transphobic when I pointed out that her reason was complete nonsense.

vaiyt

I don’t. Free speech absolutists are either ignorant or hypocrites, because they defend speech even when it impinges on other rights or when it’s meant to intimidate other people into not exercising THEIR freedom of speech. That kind of absolutism always ends up benefitting the already privileged.

zoon echon logon
zoon echon logon

Her being a real autistic lesbian or a fake troll is completely irrelevant to condemning the behavior she has displayed.

Luzbelitx

@zoon

I totally agree with that.

Also, surprise surprise. This is just in from the Facebook page Being Feminist: https://www.facebook.com/BeingFeminist

Warning to our members: fake feminist pages

Recently some anti-feminist MRAs have been creating “feminist pages” to try and either infiltrate, or “trap” feminists by going all “straw feminist” and extreme and claiming to be the face of feminism or something.

One of these pages is “Feminists for Social Justice”, a page supposedly created by “Lauren Jenson”, a former MA and worker at the Feminist Studies Department of UCSB.

To confirm its fakeness I contacted UCSB’s feminist department and they said no one by that name had studied or worked there.

They have screenshots as well.

Are we supposed to feel confused? I feel slightly confused…

aebarsbars

How much longer is this GamerGate shit gonna go on for?!?! When are these jackholes gonna get bored already?!?!

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

That is one of the MRA, I think AVFM, ongoing projects. Reporting Feminist pages, creating fake accounts and fake pages. Most of them are so obvious that people don’t bother with them. Although it has been frustrating for some people to have lost all their posts and pictures.

Luzbelitx

I went to check Feminists for Social Justice (yeah, obvious enough) and they were sharing prety accurate news from everydayfeminism.com and the Huffington Post.

It would be cool to see them attract people with them and then freak out when they get called out for Straw-Feminist-ing.

indifferentsky

BTW, that whole Brianna Wu makes fun of autistic people tweet, that’s a fake, and this is one of the best videos I’ve seen on this whole thing. Brianna discusses, at one point, the template they have up at 8chan for this.

Mewens
Mewens

Cripes. “Feminism is evil, and here’s the proof: My fake feminist page.”

An ideology so obviously noble and true that it must lie about its political foes to win, huh.

Skye
Skye

Luzbelitix, actually, it’s kind of worrying that they’re posting accurate stuff right now instead of clearly straw. Given the fondness for doxxing these folks have, I worry that they’ll gain the trust of some vulnerable (& probably niave) folks and do some real harm

Skye
Skye

Luzbelitx, sorry I messed up your name

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

That is exactly what they do, Skye. Once you like or join the page they send friend requests and PMs trying to find out as much as they can for their doxxing page.

mildlymagnificent

Yeah, I’m confident I won’t be clicking any more popehat links, either.

Clark is beyond my comprehension. Ken is one of the good guys when the chips are down. He gives some good legal advice when it’s needed and he’s contacted his professional mates and arranged free legal representation for people several times.

Though I only go there when someone else points out an insightful OP from him. Most of the time he’s pretty tedious when he’s highlighting the One True Path to free speech purity.

Luzbelitx

@Skye & thebewilderness

Damn, that really sucks.

I’m still glad I’m not able to keep up with their awfulness, eww.

We should be reporting them then, but I don’t think it will help a lot.

PS: no problem about my name. I find it hilarious that trolls seem to think it’s an insult that they can’t write it right…

Luzbelitx

@Skye also, I don’t mean you are a troll, I use the same name in different sites. Just a fun fact.

Aelfric
Aelfric

That “camera lady” account apparently started tweeting around September 3 of this year, as far as I can tell. That to me says “troll;” is there any reason to believe this is the same personality (offscreen though he or she may be) from YouTube?

Mary
Mary

This thing of hiding behind a neurodevelopment disability (real or fake) is particularly troubling. One of my sons is autistic, and about the last thing he would ever consider doing is hanging out online throwing crudely nasty tweets at people. If anything he’s hyper-empathetic, often internalizing to an almost debilitating degree the pain and distress of others (discounting when they’re distressed by his intense religiosity).

Even less likely to fall out of his mouth is a suggestion that he ‘can’t help himself’ because of his autism, to say nothing of an accusation that people who criticize him for any reason (like, asking him for a little less Jesus, please) are making fun of him because he’s autistic. He even comes close to completely disavowing the very label of ‘autism’. Hiding behind it as an untouchable excuse for bad behavior? No way.

As others have pointed out, waving the ‘I’m-autistic-and-therefore-anyone-criticizing-me-is-an ableist-bigot’ flag is one horrific and potentially damaging cop out.

studiokagato
studiokagato

She also propositioned Zoe Quinn a few days ago. (Which TOTALLY was an actual offer and not a thinly-veiled excuse to find more dirt on her/give her more shit to deal with, I’m sure.)

Yeah, that was real classy.
After cosying up in a long thread with a show of starting a conversation, which Zoe Quinn was understandably reluctant to participate in, cameralady apparently lost patience and went for the sexual snipe:

Adding that “disclosure of sex” comment at the end was in no way meant to be an attack, no no no.

Bina
Bina

Bingo. That’s precisely MY problem with them, too. That, and they misquote Voltaire (taking a quote from a novel about him to be an actual Voltaire quote, which it is not).

I don’t defend anyone’s right to say any old thing to the death, because I’m German and my people have already gone down that road. The Weimar Republic had pretty much absolute free speech, and that didn’t go so well for them. The next party in power just rolled right over that, unimpeded.

samantha
Reply to  vaiyt

Oh, does that mean that it is really okay to yell “FIRE!” in a crowded theater, when there is no fire?

Free speech is only free when the speaker recognizes and respects certain limitations and responsibilities. You know, like do not threaten anyone or cause harm to others with your flapping mouth.

Ken is an idiot.

Skye
Skye

@Skye also, I don’t mean you are a troll, I use the same name in different sites. Just a fun fact.

🙂 No worries. Didn’t get that impression. Glad you aren’t offended. I try to get people’s names right.

Skye
Skye

Um…anyone else hear that Felicia Day has been doxxed?

Aelfric
Aelfric

@samantha — with all due respect (and forgive me for not doing well with quoting comments), the old saw about “fire in a crowded theater” is a bad place to start with a free speech analysis. This article has a good description of why, but you can find many more like it: http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2012/11/its-time-to-stop-using-the-fire-in-a-crowded-theater-quote/264449/ It’s simply a a bit of dicta from an overturned and poorly decided case.

Binjabreel

@absinthe:
That is hands down the most galling part: that they act like we didn’t all grow up on the internet too, like the chans are still some super sekkrit haxxor hangout that nobody knows about.

It’s pathetic, really.

strivingally

@Skye:

Yup. She wrote this great piece about why GamerGaters scare her. It was very mildly worded and spoke from her own perspective. In it she alludes, among other things, to the fact that she’s not commented much publicly before now because she thought she’d be targeted.

It took 50 minutes for someone to post her home address. IN THE COMMENTS FOR THE BLOG POST. Guess how many other posts she’s been doxxed in? Zero? Did you guess zero?

I think they’ve really shot themselves in the foot here. Day is not a journalist, she’s fiercely pro-gaming (she made The Guild, for fuck’s sake) and she’s the darling of a whole swathe of internet fandoms. They couldn’t have planned it much better if their deliberate aim was to make GG look like a bunch of spiteful malevolent kids – woman says she’s scared of the anger in people who share a hobby with her, they respond with a doxx that clearly sends the message “we can get to you”.

Skye
Skye

These people are terrible. Please, someone, let the ones doing awful stuff be discovered and arrested. A lot of them deserve jail time.

M. the Social Justice Ranger
M. the Social Justice Ranger

… And, right on cue, they’re already calling “No True #GamerGater” and “False flag” on it.

Semi-related, but it’s bizarre that so many people I know who were staunchly against the Tea Party have gone from “I’m a liberal” to “All liberals must die” and considering Breitbart to be about as truthful as the Weekly World News to holding them up as a bastion of journalism. The Republicans tried so hard to rebrand themselves in order to attract a younger generation and failed, then this came along and did the rebranding for them.

AbsintheDexterous
AbsintheDexterous

@strivingally – sorry, was wrestling with a closet…*blushes* sure, go ahead and quote me.

@binjabreel – It’s positively boring and predictable. Instead of doing something good in the world, they’d rather have a tantrum. Also, one of the worst things about this is that they think they are doing Something but really they’re doing nothing but showing how horrible they are as human beings.

I suppose that’s something, but really, I’d rather be known for something good than for being part of a hate movement.

Alex M
Alex M

I think everyone here needs to allot 20 minutes to watch this video by Folding Ideas on GamerGate. It does an excellent job of using critical analysis to break down the mentality that festered into the movement. There’s one particular quote that summarizes not just the movement’s tactics, but all oppressive culture in general perfectly :

The use of terror tactics, even if only by a minority, has created an environment of fear that all [GamerGate] members enjoy the privilege of.

The comments section has some decently well-pruned (although not completely shithead-free) discussion as well.

steampunked (@steampunked)

I’m not surprised they hit Felicia.

They will hit any female in gaming, or even, indeed, in vaguely game-related things, who expresses the most mild of uncertainty about GamerGate.

What follows that are arguments on two points:

1) She deserved it!

and

2) FALSE FLAG.

There’s some poor guy DMing me asking me who is in ‘charge’ of GamerGate so he can tell them to stop, and I’ve been trying to tell him – no one.

It isn’t a movement. It isn’t anything. It’s a collection of vaguely half-baked trolls and some anti-women virulent assholes and some people who REALLY LIKE GAMING and everything is under the same umbrella. In fact, to be honest, talking about #notyourshield? It’s the moderate gamers who are the shield – for GamerGate. They’re so incredibly useful. They’re there, at every point, to be sacrificed to the assholes who can use them like ablative armour.

And all you have to do, to get this endless army of self-sacrificing lemmings, is to convince them that those Evil Social Justice Warriors HATE gaming and LOVE corruption. Easily done, too, given the evidence.

steampunked (@steampunked)

By which I mean, the ‘evidence’ is that they’re easily signed on as lemmings. But yeah – that whole ‘Zoe Quinn hates autistic people’ thing? That’s STILL BEING USED…

weirwoodtreehugger

Ugh. Who needs brain bleach?

Unimaginative

Ken is an idiot.

He’s really not. He’s a criminal defence lawyer, which causes him to have a very poor opinion of government overreach, and he thinks that the best remedy for free speech that bothers you is MORE free speech. Clark’s an asshole, though. He calls himself an ancap libertarian, and fancies himself a self-made intellectual who’s AWAKE, man. And he’s a misogynistic rape apologist.

In other words, he’s an idiot.

samantha
Reply to  Unimaginative

Okay. He may not TECHNICALLY be an idiot, but being a free speech absolutist and rape apologist makes him, in my never terribly humble opinion, a very bad man.

Maybe I am just getting too old, but I am having an increasingly difficult time putting up with the vile anti-woman, anti-progressive attitudes that abound on the ‘net. And I am sick to death of whining little manboys blaming women for all the ills of the world – like war and poverty – that, for the most part, are caused by men!

I know. I will re-watch Firefly and, when I am done, everything in my ‘verse will be shiny again! 🙂

samantha
Reply to  katz

In other words, he’s an idiot.

🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

kittehserf - MOD

WWTH, that kitty has made backpedalling into an art form! 😀

Hyatt
Hyatt

@Alex M

/checks link, scrolls down to comments before starting the video

Whaddya know, it’s full of sea lioning. In reply to the “our playground, our rules, deal or we’re kicking you out” comment, too.