Uncategorized

Open Thread for Personal Stuff, July 2014 Edition

4296ef6c6ace938bca20ff701aad51d1

An open thread for personal stuff, continuing from here.

As usual for these threads: no trolls, no MRAs, no arguments.

Thanks! πŸ™‚

kittehserf MOD

Oooooh there’s a yarn shop right near where the interview’s being held …

bunnybunny
bunnybunny

Good luck kittehserf!

@pallygirl, marinerachel
I’m just getting used to my hair being long. I had it short from age 12 up until I stopped cutting it a couple years ago. I used to buzz it too. I miss it, especially in summer. But the length is nice for a change too, I guess.

gilshalos

About 5 years after I first had it cut, I’m still getting used to short hair.
For about 20 years I had hair long enough to sit on, but when I got hospitalised with pernicious anaemia it suffered badly. After 2 days of it being tied back whilst I was in high fever/delerium the nurse tried to take out the hair tie to brush it, but failed, leaving it half-tied still for another few days till I cared enough to try and do something about it. When I finally did, and with help from a nurse, my parents and a pair of sharp scissors, got the hair tie out, my hair was knotted horrendously. After a day of un-knotting it, I had a 4 foot tall bin full of hair that had been shed in the process. I gave it a year to try and recover, but at the end of it, the thickness and length was still variable, so I went with having it cut :(.
As I said, I’m getting it cut, but I kinda miss the days when my hair was so long and thick I could, in all seriousness, lose a hairbrush in it, and have to get someone to find it for me.

gilshalos

getting it cut/getting used to it short *sigh*

weirwoodtreehugger

I love growing my hair and then chopping it off. You know, because I’m a misandrist too. Right now my hair is long and I’ve been considering cutting it and washing it with male tears of course! *Rubs hands together in misandric glee*

pallygirl

I’m growing my hair to the style of Amanda Tapping’s short hair in Stargate Gate. I love her hair in that series. However, my hair is also a light to medium blue, so I’m not a complete copycat. πŸ™‚

cloudiah

Is it too late to wish you luck on the job interview, kittehs?

kittehserf MOD

Not yet, cloudiah, thanks! It’s a few hours away. I’m leaving in about an hour, because there’s a YARN SHOP nearby (the office is in a shopping centre) and lots of cafes, so I’ll have lunch there before the interview.

Good thing it’s not a wear-a-suit job. I still haven’t got around to getting the hems on my suit trousers taken up, so they’ll have to see me in less strictly formal gear. πŸ˜›

pallygirl

How did the job interview go? Do we need a open thread for August? How did cloudiah’s job interview go?

Too many unanswered questions for my ladybrain!

kittehserf MOD

Hey everyone! The interview went really well.

I didn’t get into a job, but a training course – Certificate IV in Business Admin, which includes things like payroll, supervisory roles, general admin and understanding business procedures. The guy conducting the interview was lovely. The data entry job I’d applied for turned out to have impossible hours, 9 to 5.30, which would mean I wouldn’t be getting home till 8.00 at best. Much hand waving on both sides of the desk dismissing that idea!

He asked what my longer term plans or ambitions were and I told him about the medical reception idea. He said that course isn’t actually recognised by a lot of health providers; they prefer to teach the medical terminology on the job and have people with a more thorough grounding in office procedures. Now I know this job agency’s getting some sort of $$ for getting people into courses, but I’m not paying anything – it’s government funded (yes such things still exist here, for the moment at any rate) and I’m eligible. Which is just as well, ‘cos I would not fork out $5000 for anything less than a diploma even if I had it!

The course starts next week. Easy peasy hours, three weeks, 9 – 3 each day, and near a station on my line, so simple travelling. Mr Interviewer has also put me on the agency’s books for temping, to look for stuff in school hours.

Altogether a satisfying interview, not least since it included important stuff like how Queensland sucks (he’s an ex-Queenslander), how summer sucks, and how the local shopping area has improved since I was last there.

pallygirl

Sounds like the rest of the interview went well. Sod not getting home until 8pm.

kittehserf MOD

Yes on both counts. I wasn’t fussed about the job, I’d only put in for it to keep Centrelink off my back. Most data entry jobs need speed, and I can touch type, but not fast. I just think it’s funny that the less effort I put into an application, the more likely I am to get a response. πŸ˜›

Viscaria
Viscaria

Kittehs, that sounds really positive! Good luck in your course. Keep us up to date! πŸ™‚

Thanks, Viscaria, I will! πŸ™‚

LBT (with an open writeathon!)

RE: Unimaginative

Yay, LBT has an avatar! And it is awesome.

Thanks! And not like you can see any detail on such a tiny bit, but that actually is supposed to be me, but I figured a man running away from emotion also is appropriate for here.

RE: Argenti

yeah, I know M.D. got roped into it, but I’m picturing a combo of β€œno, you can’t smash things, yes, I am bored senseless too and bouncing off the walls but NO HITTING THINGS”…and β€œstatic” shocks when really bored.

Well, that’s basically what happens!

RE: Kittehs

Wow, paid job training? I didn’t know that shit existed anymore! Good luck, and keep tropping!

Auntie Alias
Auntie Alias

kitteh, nice! Congratulations and I hope you enjoy your course.

Kittehs, I’m glad that went well!

LBT (with an open writeathon!)

Oh katz, it’s funny that you mentioned Princess and Monster a bit ago; I posted a story from it for writeathon!

serrana
serrana
Reply to  katz

Yay Kittehs!

Thanks everyone!

cloudiah

Glad to hear about the training course, kittens.

Buster (my cat) has acne on her chin. It isn’t super bad, and it doesn’t appear to bother her at all. I’m treating it with epsom salts in warm water (which I clean her chin with) twice a day, and by making sure her water/food bowls are scrupulously clean. If anyone has any other tips for cat acne treatment, please share. (Obviously, if it gets to the stage of open sores or if she seems bothered by it, I will immediately hie myself to a vet.)

pallygirl

@cloudiah: I don’t have any solutions to offer πŸ™ but I’m hoping that emilygoddess will pop into this thread and comment.

I’m thinking mod callout thoughts strongly now, but not for the usual reason. πŸ™‚

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

When my cat had acne one thing the vet to me was not to use plastic dishes/water bowls. Replacing them with porcelain did seem to help (steel would have worked too, supposedly).

pallygirl

I knew cassandra read my mind, where my assumption has fallen down is that I supposed it to be a feminist hivemind.

weirwoodtreehugger

Anyone have recommendations for what OTC topical cream I should use for a rash? I haven’t had one since I can remember and have no idea what to get. I also have no idea where the rash came from. It’s a cluster of itchy red bumps on my forearm. Since I work outside doing political door knocking and I’m in the suburbs it could easily be from brushing up against a plant it turns out I’m allergic too or it could be bug bites. I don’t have any food allergies that I know of and I haven’t used any new soaps or detergents so I don’t think it’s easier of those things.

I’ve had it about a week and it hasn’t gotten worse but it hasn’t gotten better either so I need to something about it.

Ooh, new Princess and Monster! <3 Judith!

pallygirl

@WWTH: for contact dermatitis, I use a hydrocortisone cream, normally around the 0.5% mark. This is one I find helpful: http://www.chemist.co.nz/product.cfm?ProductID=38&GroupID=1&CategoryID=148&SubcatID=33 although don’t know if the same product will be available in the US or Canada. It is readily absorbed and doesn’t keep the area wet, which can be an issue with some alternatives. Calamine lotion is another alternative (e.g. see http://www.medicinenet.com/calamine_lotion-topical/article.htm).

In NZ, the pharmacists used to make up basic (and cheap, very very cheap) versions of things like hydrocortisone cream. I found that their versions were just as good as the bought versions, sometimes a difference in base can mean one cream work whereas an equivalent strength hydrocortisone cream doesn’t.

Apparently hydrocortisone cream can thin the skin where you’re applying it. I’m not sure whether this is an issue for you.

I’ve suffered from eczema and contact dermatitis for years, so this advice is from my experience. I have tried other suggestions such as Alpha Keri ointment (http://alphakeri.com.au/products/ointment/) but never had the same positive outcome.

HTH.

kittehserf MOD

I’m thinking mod callout thoughts strongly now, but not for the usual reason. :

Wat? I am confused!

cloudiah, I didn’t know kitties could get acne!

pallygirl

Oh, for mods to answer the kitty acne question rather than to address a troll – addressing troll issues being the normal reason I try to send out my mod thoughts.

Fibinachi

Congratulations, kitteh! That sounds useful, good luck with it! Paid job training sounds almost like my personal socialist hellhole of a country. :b

kittehserf MOD

I haz a sad, I am not the mod of knowledge. πŸ™

pallygirl

@kitteh: you are not the mod of this particular knowledge.

Knowledge about how to cure cat acne =/= all knowledge

Wheeeeeeeeee logic. πŸ™‚

kittehserf MOD

Shhh, Fibi, don’t go saying the S word! We’ll have the Downunder Gopers killing off the government funded training in no time.

Fibinachi

Hey, i’m doing a governmentally paid entry level course in mathematics. I’m not personally getting paid, but you can. There’s even free coffee.

I’m all for it :b

pallygirl

@kitteh: having re-read my comment, it could be misread as dismissive. What I meant was that you’re not the mod of *that particular* bit of knowledge, but that’s okay as there is other knowledge and you’re the mod of some of that.

There are times I wish I could communicate as clearly as how I am thinking of a concept.

kittehserf MOD

LOL pallygirl, no, it wasn’t dismissive.

I would not dare be mod of Cat Knowledge. What human would?

Fibi – I’m not getting paid (I am on unemployment benefit, for what that’s worth) but I get to do the course free, and that’s pretty good.

Fibinachi

Sorry, I meant that to be the same thing. Benefits. “Paid” in the sense that the course is covered by the government.

Essentially, congratulations πŸ™‚

Thank ‘ee!

maistrechat

I second the not using plastic plates/bowls/etc. as a method of dealing with cat acne. That has worked fairly well for us, along with making sure that any plastic bags are in relatively inaccessable spaces.

When we’ve had issues with this in the past getting rid of the plastic and doing the epsom salts/warm water thing has cleared it up fairly quickly.

cloudiah

I’m temporarily going to feed them both off of paper plates that I can throw away, to see if that helps. If it does, I’ll get different bowls. I’m not too worried, since she doesn’t seem at all bothered and has no open sores. (But she HATES the epsom salts/warm water treatment, poor baby.) Thanks, all!

Viscaria
Viscaria

Uuuurrerergh this guy just tried to ask me out at work via email and I tried to gently deflect but he called me out on it and we had this awkward conversation and maybe I was accidentally flirting?!?!? Why don’t I know how to human? BLARGH. I’m so embarrassed I want to go straight home.

maistrechat

I’d say that this guy doesn’t know how to human. Why call someone out on a deflection? If you’re asking someone out and they deflect, THAT MEANS NO.

Calling somebody out for deflecting instead of saying no is not a nice thing to do.

Falconer

Our neighbors across the street have this lovely old oak tree in their yard. Let’s call the oak tree Sudowoodo.

So funny thing happened over the weekend, folks.

Sudowoodo learned Smash.

It was super effective.

Viscaria
Viscaria

@maistrechat (fantastic name), thank you. That’s what boyfriend said too. I’m just so bad at interacting with people in general, plus it just twigs this thing from high school — I had this reputation for being this complete flirt, particularly in regards to boys with SOs, when I was aiming for friendly. Nothing like some 10 year old embarrassment resurfacing.

LBT (with an open writeathon!)

RE: Viscaria

Eeew, who does that? Don’t ask your coworker out, especially by email! That makes everything awkward!

Viscaria
Viscaria

That comment has like 7 instances of the word “this.”

Viscaria
Viscaria

Thanks LBT :). I feel much less mortified now.

He was like “free for lunch?” and I honestly wasn’t sure if he was asking me out or not (we don’t work directly together and we don’t know each other well) so I was like “can’t today, school stuff, but maybe next week? We can invite *people who work with both of us* to come, too!” “Next week would be great, other folks welcome but optional.” “Great!” *invites others* “I feel like you don’t want to have lunch with me without chaperones and now I feel embarrassed.” DUDE I gave you the easiest out. I wish you had just taken it. :-/

serrana
serrana

What’s wrong with having less than perfect social skills, Viscaria? I think the only reason to be ashamed of an interaction with someone is if you were an asshole on purpose and it sounds like you were doing the opposite when you deflected the guy. If you had been direct with him he probably would have taken issue with that too. Plus, he’s the one who created the awkward situation.

serrana
serrana

Ooh, we cross-posted. Yeah, you definitely didn’t do anything wrong. He was being a Nice Guy and expecting you to read his mind.