a voice for men a woman is always to blame boner rage butts creepy cuteness evil sexy ladies I am making a joke imaginary backwards land imaginary oppression kitties men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny MRA sexualization warren farrell whores

Warren Farrell is an Ass, Man

Yep, that's a butt on the cover. He put a butt on the cover. Men are oppressed by women's butts.
Yep, that’s a butt on the cover. He put a butt on the cover. Men are oppressed by women’s butts.

You may remember the embarrassing spectacle a couple of months back when Warren Farrell asked the readers of A Voice for Men to help him pick out a cover picture for a new ebook version of The Myth of Male Power, the 21-year-old crackpot bestseller that more or less provided the, er, intellectual foundation for today’s Men’s Rights movement.

It wasn’t just embarrassing because AVFM is a noxious hate site that regularly calls women c*nts and whores and helps to organize informal campaigns of harassment directed at individual women. It was also embarrassing because all three of the pictures were sexualized images focusing on specific female body parts. You can guess which three, and you’d be right: tits, ass, and vagina (the latter tastefully covered in a merkin made of moss).

Well, Farrell ended up rejecting all of these images in favor of … a different picture of a woman’s butt. Yep, the screenshot above features the actual cover of the recently released ebook version of The Myth of Male Power. (You can see it in its full sized-glory over on Amazon.)

The implicit message of the cover couldn’t be clearer: men may seem to run the world, but women can control and exploit them through the power of their sexuality. Male power is undercut by … butt power.

Am I reading too much into a cover image? Farrell doesn’t really believe this nonsense, does he?

Well, in the introduction to the ebook, Farrell writes:

farrellButt1

In case you’re wondering, “genetic celebrity” is Farrell’s term of art for any attractive woman.

But golly, you say, the fact that a dude feels “powerless” because he can’t have sex with every woman with a nice butt that happens to wander across his field of vision doesn’t actually mean that men are powerless or that male power is a myth. Well, Farrell has an answer to this as well. And by “answer” I mean, well, whatever this is:

farrellbutt2
Got that? I’m not sure there’s anything there to get; it’s nothing more than hand-waving to distract attention from the nonsensical nature of his previous statements. In case any Men’s Rights activist ever brings Warren Farrell up as an example of a respectable, “academic” MRA, you may wish to point out that almost nothing Farrell writes ever actually makes any fucking sense.

In the book itself, Farrell repeatedly suggested that male power can be undone almost completely by the sexual power of women. In one oft-quoted passage, he wrote about the effect that a “secretary’s miniskirt power, cleavage power and flirtation power” allegedly has on their male bosses. (Myth of Male Power, p. 21)

While that statement has earned a certain notoriety for its sheer ridiculousness, Farrell went further elsewhere in the book, essentially arguing that men are as addicted to female “beauty” as drug addicts are to the drug of their choice — and as helpless.

“Sexually, of course, the sexes aren’t equal,” Farrell wrote. “[M]any men feel ‘under the influence the moment they see a beautiful woman.” (p. 320, emphasis in original.)

This sort of temporary “intoxication,” Farrell argued, leads men into shackling themselves to these temporarily sexy tyrants for the rest of their lives — thus agreeing to support them (he suggested implicitly) even after they get old and ugly. (p. 85.)

farrellbeautytrap

In Farrell’s original book, this “argument,” such as it is, was merely one of many that he thought undercut the alleged “myth of male power.” Now, with the butt on the cover, he’s put it front and center. Or, more precisely, rear and center.

Warren Farrell, you’re an ass, man.

Oh, awkward segue here, I just wanted to show off the cover to the new edition of my classic book, The Myth of Human Power.

mythhumanpower

It will soon be available for one million dollars in cash in unmarked bills, upon delivery of which I will sit down and write it for you. It will probably be pretty short and not very convincing.

Usually I can vaguely figure out what a troll was going for, but with “suffers curly,” I’m totally lost.

Auntie Alias
Auntie Alias

@budmin: “Well then maybe we as men should do something about the social conditioning we go through that makes us such prime targets for manipulation. #MGTOW”

May I remind you that WF said, “…men’s feelings of powerlessness when our eyes behold a genetic celebrity”? No manipulation is required. How exactly can men go their own way when vaginas render them helpless?

kittehserf

When I rage-blog the English language suffers curly.

Anyone with photoshop skills want to make this sentence curly? It needs to be curly.

How about this?

Auntie Alias
Auntie Alias

Perfect, kitteh! Very creative. 🙂

kittehserf

Thank ‘ee! Paint.net saves the day. 🙂

contrapangloss

Thanks, Kitteh! Just the thing I needed, and oh so wonderfully done.

Taking a screen-shot, then off to bed I go!

kittehserf

Glad you like it, contrapangloss!

Niters!

vaiyt

budmin,

You seem to have made your mind about what Warren Farrell thinks. Why don’t you try reading his past writings or asking him? I think the result of such conversation is going to be enlightnening.

kittehserf

vaiyt – and doesn’t it say a lot that budget troll knows what Farrell’s saying and thinking, even to the extent of knowing when he writes disgusting things in a money grab (not because he believes them, oh no). That women who’ve been on the receiving end of misogyny, and men who aren’t misogynists, have very different interpretations is just hand-waved away.

marci

Al Melvin is proof of white male privilege. Seriously watch this video of him being interviewed by Anderson Cooper and explain to me how this moron got to be a senator any other way.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

When trolls defend WF, the English language suffers moe, larry, and shemp as well.

Malitia
Malitia

Why do misogynist “arguments” on women having the real power always translate for me as: “Well, you can always sell* your body**”? Maybe my bullshit detector is acting up.

* To us poor oppressed men. How dare you.
** But only if you are young, conventionally attractive, etc. etc. etc.

hookergal
hookergal

Ok. Mister Troll. I’m a woman who is in her 20s & conventionally attractive WHO JUST HAPPENS TO make men pay money to spend time with me.
Here’s a few pro-tips from my life, given I’m everything you’re talking about:
1. Men objectify women no matter what. Fun thing here: they try to say my time is worth less than I deem it worth. How is a man telling me that I’m not worth what I say I am worth, in no way showing that ultimately he *still* has the power and upper hand? (no matter what I do or say or that I’m essentially a commodity in your eyes not a person)
2. I’m at risk of violence. My being naked & sexual doesn’t protect me. At all. Luckily I’m picky & careful. But it doesn’t mean my boundaries aren’t tested daily.
3. I can still say NO. I know you won’t like to hear this, but even a woman who IS A HOOKER can still say NO. I don’t owe anyone, anything. But guess what! I’m abused (verbally/text) by MEN as I dare say no.
Can you see what’s wrong here. I can. Thank you troll & goodbye. MRAs make me sick.
However, this tumblr post made me laugh & summarised MRAs nicely. http://theconcealedweapon.tumblr.com/post/43373729190/11-signs-youre-a-mens-rights-activist

Skye
Skye

Wow, so glad I went to bed. Boring troll is boring.
Hookergal, *so* want one of those shirts

budmin

@hookergal I’m sorry but I don’t approve of prostitution (evidently neither do you). Prostitution robs everyone of their humanity and the violence, hatred & exploitation doesn’t surprise me one bit.

What exactly would you want me to say. If you’re in this business of your own free will, what can I do to change your mind? Men who have sex with prostitutes are throwing their value away to someone who hates them. They’ll keep doing it until they start to hate themselves. Get out of the it if you can.

sparky

Nobody cares what you do or not approve of, buddy.

Skye
Skye

“throwing their value away”
FYI, no one’s value is determined by their sexuality, whom they have sex with, how much sex they have or even if they have sex

Luzbelitx

Troll says women have “sexual capital” as a defining feature.

Troll then states he is against prostitution because it robs everyone of their humanity.

Everybody laughs at the troll.

Troll still doesn’t get why.

*curtain falls*

budmin

@Skye I think that’s your opinion.

@Sparky all I could do is voice my concerns. If I think she’s headed down the wrong path I say so. If she chooses not to listen, it’s okay but I’m not gonna keep quiet.

Luzbelitx

How about this?

Excellent job! I like that sort of black-hole effect as the words curl down, like it’s a metaphor of the troll’s abysmal nonsense.

hookergal
hookergal

Oh troll. You’re so naive. I won’t bother to try & reason with you as I’m know you can’t reason. The numerous times you’ve contradicted yourself proves this.
I like however, that you think you know myself (and other sex workers) and my clients. I’m sure you’ve paid for sex. Haha. The ones who complain the most usually have!!

Malitia
Malitia

I wanted to try writing something witty… but then I saw Luzbelitx answer and decided it’s better than anything I could come up with. :]

Luzbelitx

If I think she’s headed down the wrong path I say so.

Here’s a tip for you: decent people don’t judge other people’s chocices as wrong or right. It’s just their choices and your opinion is absolutely irrelevant.

Especially if they share their experiences as a way to prove your “arguments” as the bullshit they are, and all you can answer is “well, you took the WRONG path”

hookergal
hookergal

Man troll “what can *I* a man, do to change your, a silly little female sec workers, mind”

And yet he wonders why we don’t think highly of MRAs.

sparky

budmin: Why the hell do you think that it’s your place to judge hookergal?

Seriously, who do you think you are?

hookergal
hookergal

Off topic: teenage mutant ninja turtles just came on my TV. I love this show! How do you feel about that troll? I feel as if you think I *should* run all my life choices by you, a man. As I assume you know more about everything, as you are a man. Man man man man man. MAN.

Skye
Skye

Sorry, but the fact that people have value because they are people is hardly an ‘opinion’ limited to just me. The fact that you don’t believe this is probably the main reason no one here cares what your opinions are

Luzbelitx

MAN! I love TMNT!!

hookergal
hookergal

@sparky – I’ve literally heard every argument about why sex work is bad. Since it’s almost always “how dare a woman make money from sex” – Belle Knox style. People get angry at the provider but never at the person demanding the product. I’m guessing troll is angry two fold. 1. That he’s not getting laid by pretty women for free & 2. That other men pay to get laid & therefore he’s angry at them for finding a solution to part 1.

budmin

@Sparky people judge all the time, they just wait for the person to be locked up or found dead in the gutter before they say something about it.

Luzbelitx

budmin, you need to let go of the idea that “people” or “everyone” are like you.

THEY ARE NOT.

Own you shit, dammit!

sparky

hookergal: I think you’ve hit the nail on the head.

Just the sheer arrogance of telling a complete stranger on the Internet that they’ve been “robbed of their humanity!” It’s almost as if budmin is speaking from a place of unexamined privilege, or something.

budmin: No, seriously, WTF are you talking about? Dead bodies in the gutter?

OK, that’s just creepy.

budmin

This is what happens when you treat people like objects.

sparky

This is what happens when you treat people like objects.

You don’t see the irony in this statement, do you, budmin?

So. Let me get this straight. You are honestly saying that hookergal is “hurting” men by receiving money in exchange for sex. And that, by doing so, she is provoking men to cause her serious physical injury, or worse?

Holy shit. You are a fucking lousy human being.

Shiraz
Shiraz

Bad sentence structure might be tripping me up but did that troll just suggest all sex workers should expect to be jailed or found dead in a dumpster?

Wow. Condescending fuck. Hateful too. Also, we’re not in the middle of a CSI episode, troll.

Wait, what was his original point, anyway?

Luzbelitx

This is what happens when you treat people like objects.

Says the boo-hoo man who’s opressed by women’s butts.

Luzbelitx

Wait, what was his original point, anyway?

I don’t recall he ever had a point.

sparky

Shiraz: Why yes, yes he did.

I have e-mailed the Dark Lord.

Shiraz
Shiraz

**sigh**

Ever notice these guys don’t think they are performing male gender correctly if they have to pay for sex or masterbate? They know they want sex, and lots of it, but I don’t think having a fun sex life is the point to them.

budmin

@Sparky I’m not condoning violence in any way shape or form, but I do know how the horror story ends for both the man and the sex worker. Hookergal is offering false validation to men who need a real human connection. How’s that any different then a heroine dealer stringing along her junkies.

BTW I have 4 sisters 3 God sons & a woman who loves me. I would tell them all the exact same thing if I had to.

Shiraz
Shiraz

Men are the junkies in your analogy?

Nitram
Nitram

“@Sparky I don’t support prostitution. I won’t fall in line with your moral relativism. Hookergal is hurting MEN and in retaliation they are HURTING her back.

This is what happens when you treat people like objects.”

After hundreds of comments trying to tell buttmint the harms of objectifying wo…..Ugh, forget it, I just give up.

Luzbelitx

Hookergal is offering false validation to men who need a real human connection.

DUDE, you’re the same guy who sticks to the belief that women don’t need human connection but money and worship from men.

Do you still not see how you are the first to objectify people?

And how, after that, you keep whining because men are (allegedly) not treated like they’re the only humans by the sub-human women around htem?

sparky

budmin: So, you’re saying sex workers who are victims of violence totally bring it on themselves.

Like I said, lousy human being.

weirwoodtreehugger

It’s very telling that you reserve your harshest judgment for prostitutes rather than the kind of people who would murder prostitutes.

budmin

@Luzbelitx: Ive been talking about validation from the beginning of this article. Not sex, validation. Although I’ve recommended ‘that you know who’ leaves prostitution behind but that’s where I draw the line on telling women how to live their lives.

Nitram
Nitram

I’m going to regret this, but let’s switch genders for a moment. Suppose the sex worker is a man, and in his line of work he is at risk of being verbally or physically abused by his female clients. Does this mean he has put himself in this situation and needs to rethink his career choice, or should something be done about these violent women? Now what if his clients are male? Just notice for a moment how that would shift back to “he put himself in that situation” when the customer is once again male. Do you realize how pervasive it is to absolve men of any responsibility for the violence they inflict? How we shift it towards the victim?

I hope this example wasn’t too presumptive (this hope directed at manboobzers, not trolly)

Shiraz
Shiraz

That’s a good point, weir. Though I’m guessing the troll would dispute this by saying the murderer couldn’t help himself because he was just a “junky” who couldn’t control his actions.

Luzbelitx

Validation form “commercially” attractive women = from women who comply with the sexually-available-object stereotype.

You never once mantioned what women need.

Please tell me, what is it you think women need?

budmin

@weirwoodtreehugger: I’ve said this before but when I worked as a security guard in a woman’s shealter, I met a working girl who was later killed by a john. She died before her infant daughter ever knew her name. I can’t sugar coat the sex trade.