a woman is always to blame antifeminism armageddon dozens of upvotes drama kings evil women grandiosity matriarchy men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny MRA oppressed men oppressed white men playing the victim racism reactionary bullshit the spearhead transphobia western women suck your time will come

The Apocalypse of the Other Jim: How Lorde and Lena Dunham are destroying Western Civilization, allegedly

Lorde: Harbinger of doom?
Lorde: Harbinger of doom?

So over on The Spearhead, the fellas are discussing pop star and self-professed feminist Lorde — no, really — and, well, I have some bad news for you all. Apparently we’re about to be taken over by Barbarian tribes. No, really — again. Blame Lorde, Lena Dunham, Lady Gaga, and of course Sex & the City. Among others.

According to a comment-cum-manifesto from The Other Jim, which won itself a couple of dozen upvotes from The Spearhead’s highly civilized readers, Lorde’s feminism

is merely symptomatic of the fact that we live in what can only be called, ‘The Fem-Centric Reality” … Where the culture of the West caters to female desires. Thus, it’s why we see movies, tv, books, music, etc. targeting women(with the govt. legally and economically empowering women eg Title IX, Lilly Ledbetter, etc.), but more importantly appealing to their innermost desires.

It’s why we’ve seen the popularity of such things like ‘Sex & the City’, ’50 Shades of Grey’, ‘Rom-Com’ movies and shows, ‘Girls’, ‘Dancing With the Stars’, ‘The Bachelor/ette’, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber, ‘Grrll-Power’ Heroines like Jennifer Lawrence in the ‘Hunger Games’, ABC News, the ‘War on Women’, etc. All of it catering to the fleeting whims and desires of women. Thus, we all live in ‘Chick-World’. *

So, the ‘Fem-Centric Reality’ is the dominant cultural force in the West right now. Of course, it won’t last, nothing ever does, but the price it will exact from Western Civilization will likely help in usher in a cultural, if not civilizational collapse as the Barbarian tribes surrounding the West see the weakness the Fem-Centric Reality engenders and are patiently waiting to take over a weaker civilization.

So there’s that.

Jim ends with this, well, intriguing theory about trans women:

* It’s also why we’re seeing more MTF transsexuals in the public eye, IMO due to a form of Stockholm Syndrome whereby some men aren’t merely sympathizing with the hostage takers(women & the FemCentric Reality), they’re trying to become the hostage takers(women) and be at the center of the FemCentric Reality where the benefits are quite generous.

Fellas: just make sure to get your transition in before the barbarians take over, if you want to enjoy the lady benefits while you still can!

If Buttercup doesn’t show up for a few days, in this case it’s fair to assume something terrible happened.

Tatjna
Tatjna

Um, there’s no such thing as Title IX where Lorde grew up. Also, just down the road from where she lives is where that whole Roast Busters (google it iif you like, I’m not describing it here – big fat trigger warning!) thing was happening for two years and the police did nothing.

Some Fem Centric Reality, that one.

The fact that two manospherians have taken the trouble the christen themselves “the other,” I have to wonder who the ur-John and ur-Jim were.

I always assumed it was just because, if anyone knows two Johns and he’s one of them, he’s bound to be the less interesting one.

myeyestheyburn
myeyestheyburn

Yeah, all those benefits that transwomen can claim from society on the basis of their MTF status. /sarcasm

This one was otherwise rather funny. Oh, and “we all live in a chick-world” makes me want to go listen to “We All Live in a Pokemon World”… I’m sure that song has a much firmer grasp on reality than the man-ifesto up there.

Maybe we’re all Barbie girls, in a Barbie world…

Ally S

@myeyestheyburn

If it was just a typo then don’t worry about this, but in case you didn’t know, many trans women abhor the term “transwoman” because it connotes the idea that our gender is somehow different from that of cis women. Just saying.

NonServiam
NonServiam

Lena Dunham? She couldn’t lead a rebellion against the patriarchy out of a paper bag! If they want to be scared of a woman in pop culture, the should cower in fear of her majesty Queen Bey. Gah – it’s like they didn’t even listen to Beyonce!

titianblue
titianblue

I got as far as “let’s take a short trip to Tumblr” in the HP article & stopped. Yeah, laddie, all the greatest investigative journalists did their research on Tumblr! /rollseyes

Kiwi girl
Kiwi girl

@katz, actually I prefer “untouchable girls”: http://youtu.be/ULLnrJsA6CY

There’s some 80s kiwiana for you. 🙂

aitasc
aitasc

flightofdragon:

Welcome! I only recently delurked myself. [Here](http://artistryforfeminismandkittens.wordpress.com/the-official-man-boobz-complimentary-welcome-package/) is the Official Man Boobz Complimentary Welcome Package! Plenty of good info there.

If that hyperlink should fail, I will feel fairly incompetent.

aitasc
aitasc

Well, now doubly so. One of Argenti’s comments in there explains how to do those correctly.

Chie Satonaka
Chie Satonaka

Wow, this is quite interesting. He thinks women shouldn’t be a target demographic for fiction of any kind…or have any kind of government protections.

It’s as if they think women aren’t even people.

shayla
shayla

My opinion on what the manosphere, or at least some of the men in it, believes is this. The world is made up of two groups, one that dominates and one that is dominated. Naturally, in the manosphere, it is men who dominate and women who are dominated. In their eyes having women have equal rights is unthinkable. In the zero-sum game of their way of thinking any attempt of women trying to have equality is a step towards women dominating men.

This gave me a big ah-ha moment, it makes a lot of sense, kudos.

myeyestheyburn
myeyestheyburn

Ally S – no, it wasn’t a typo, I was unaware that it is considered problematic. I apologise for being ignorant and especially to anyone I might have hurt by that.

Snork Maiden, knowing that so many of these misogynist jerks align their views with those of white supremacists, I am 99.99% certain that by “barbarian” they mean “anyone who isn’t white”. Although maybe I’m just tired of the “stop the boats” nonsense going on in Australia right now and all the racism-that-apparently-isn’t-racism-because-we-must-preserve-white-Australian-culture that goes on with it.

Argenti Aertheri

AIT — don’t feel dumb, for one, I did specifically say that that way is perfectly functional, for two, I do that when feeling lazy XD

And congrats on giving out your first welcome package 🙂

vaiyt

@David Futrelle
“As for the barbarians, my guess is that he’s probably thinking of Muslims.”

I don’t know why aren’t they eager for an Islamic theocracy, considering their track record with women.

“”I propose to you: humanism. The idea that we should care for and respect one another equally because we are all humans has been around for centuries, long before feminism burst onto the scene and chained itself to the scene’s railings while trying to set itself on fire. There’s nothing misleading about the term humanism in the same way that there is about feminism. It doesn’t just try to break down the barrier between genders, but more importantly, the barrier between races, sexualities, social classes, and religions, which in their own ways are also some of the reasons total gender equality has not yet been reached.””

Translation: let’s all be gender/color/sexuality/class/religion-‘blind’ and pretend today’s inequalities do not exist! Wow, what a novel and amazing idea and not the same bullshit I’ve been hearing since I was born.

hellkell
hellkell

What a random list of what’s going to bring the downfall of civilization. I think my fave is ABC News.

Dudes, make up your mind. We’re either running reality or have hamsters in our heads. Which is it?

Chie Satonaka
Chie Satonaka

Tangentially related. The MRA standard talking point is that liberal ideals of equality lead to “barbarism.” Turns out that divorce rates are higher in conservative states

Their study controlled for the effect of poverty, which is greater in the southern Bible belt and is known to contribute to higher divorce rates. Even accounting for income and the higher rate of marriage overall in southern states — an alternative to unmarried cohabitation more common in less conservative households — divorce rates in counties with higher proportions of conservative protestants remained higher.

The religiously conservative states of Alabama and Arkansas have the second and third highest divorce rates in the U.S., the authors noted. at 13 per 1000 people per year while New Jersey and Massachusetts, more liberal states, are two of the lowest at 6 and 7 per 1000 people per year.

Bina
Bina

Yippy skippy, let’s all just pretend the playing field is level and has been all along, and lo! it will just magically level itself. Brilliant! Why didn’t I think of that?

Oh yeah…because I’ve been hearing it for the last 20 years at least, and seen the failure of that mindset daily. “I’m not a feminist, I’m a humanist!” Good for you, dear. You’ve accomplished so much, just by saying that. I’m sure the world will right itself in a minute thanks to your blinding epiphany. Now fuck off.

Diana Adams
Diana Adams

Have you noticed how each one of those MRA’s is always talking about apocalypse coming just because women are free? This kind of misogyny is just awful, but it’s nothing new in fact it has been repeated many times throughout the centuries.

flightofdragon

@aitasc – Thanks for the Welcome Package! I shall treasure it always.

Forgot to mention in my first comment, you all can call me Flight or Dragon, I don’t mind which! I will do my best to please the hivemind with kitten pictures and other displays of misandry. (Still reading up on the comments; these threads move quickly sometimes!)

Diana Adams
Diana Adams

Also I want to know who these barbarians at the gates of Rome the West are. Vandals? Visigoths? Ostrogoths? Industrial Goths? Who???

According to them it’s muslims or Chinese. Or any other patriarchal culture that inevitably is going to destroy the evil western matriarchies. And because also feminists unlike traditiinalists don’t reproduce like rabbits. Nevermind the fact that birthrates are falling all around the world, including in muslim countries like Iran, UAE, Tunisia who are already below replacement level. These guys just want to see the world burn so if it’s not gonna be muslims they’d hope for aliens.

Viscaria
Viscaria

just as I prefer Lorde’s 16 year old hipsterism to Katy Perry’s increasingly desperate fifties racist schtick, but hey.

It’s worth noting that I have seen most of these women/girls criticized for racism. Lorde’s song “Royals” is anti-consumerism but the consumerism she targets is strongly coded Black. This Your Fave is Problematic post details a lot of the racist stuff Llady Gaga has done. Lena Dunham is a category unto herself for racist “progressive” figures.

I guess my point is that the racist assbums over at the Spearhead have some things they could admire about these women, if only they weren’t so irritatingly female.

Ally S

Thanks for understanding. I wasn’t personally offended or anything, but it’s important to know these things. I certainly didn’t think you intended to be anti-trans when you said “transwoman.”

Also, on a related note, terms like “MTF” and “FTM” are also problematic for a lot of trans people: “male-to-female” seems to imply that trans women are “former men”, “female-to-male” seems to imply that trans men are “former women”, and so on. Not everyone interprets those terms that way, and plenty of trans people use them as well, but it’s probably best to not use them because virtually no one will be bothered if you don’t use them.

Sorry, I don’t want to sound overbearing or judgmental in saying all of that. Sometimes I sound overly critical.

Viscaria
Viscaria
bodycrimes

It’s funny that the HuffPo kid thinks the patriarchy is some big myth. Contrast that with the Christian Taliban and the Manosphere writers who know perfectly well that there’s a thing called patriarchy, and they want it back.

JoJo
JoJo

I for one welcome our new barbarian overlords. I’d like to point out that I’m a large man with a history of anger issues and would fit right in with the other barbarians. I’m sure I’d a great “Chief’s Man” to some chieftain somewhere.

(Too bad this whole thing is bullshit and we aren’t in any more danger of being overrun by barbarians than having monkeys fly out of our butts).

Robert
Robert

I’m reminded of Cavafy’s poem “Waiting for the Barbarians”. Except that was good, and had a point. Also, the HuffPo writer should go on living; with a bit of luck he might learn something.

bekabot

I propose to you: humanism.

That’s a nice idea, and personally, I like basic tenets of humanism more than I dislike them. Humanism has a flaw, though, which is that under humanism, who gets treated in what way depends on who’s defined as a human. The problem is that there’s no guarantee that everybody with two arms and legs, etc., is going to be so defined (though I think we can all assume that the fetuses will be in the clear).

Myoo
Myoo

I get what you’re trying to say, but there are people who don’t have two arms and/or legs.

shayla
shayla

I think it’s perfectly wonderful to say “I care for all humans” but when that sentiment is not paired with “and there are some types of humans whose wellbeing have been neglected and need more focus” then that is very foolish and makes you look like you can’t stand movements that don’t include you as a beneficiary. Triage doctors care for all patients but they still need to devote more and faster care to the worst wounded.

Bina
Bina

Bingo. The idea that feminism is not a form of humanism, or that it is anti-male, is profoundly wrong. The idea that an amorphous “humanism” in which prejudice is swept under the rug is some kind of answer to feminism, is also rubbish. Feminism is that humanism which recognizes that (a) women and girls are human, and (b) as humans, they are under-served, and therefore (c) something needs to be done to make sure that (a) is recognized, and (b) is rectified.

Z
Z

When was the last time you heard the word “humanism” outside of someone arguing that feminists and anti-racists should shut up?

Assuming that it was the general “you”, every time I open the site of the Council for Secular Humanism? 😉 Also, in a lot of “debates” with, ahem, non-secular non-humanists.

(Just a friendly reminder that some words have uses outside of those employed in some isolated areas.)

Also by pushing for feminism to change their name and messaging, they’re pretty well saying that its own messaging is the most important thing feminism needs to address. Those actual problems women face? Whatever, there are dudes here who are feeling slighted!

kittehserf

When I hear “humanism” I still tend to think of the original Humanists, people like More and Erasmus.

They were more interesting.

They also dressed better.

Unimaginative
Unimaginative

Awesome! Thank you for this.

Like if you say we shouldn’t compare racism against white people to slavery, they’ll respond with the same old “White, black, red, yellow, purple, or polka dotted, we’ve all been oppressed and enslaved once” crap.

Right? There was a point in history when having an Irish last name or accent would seriously impair your ability to get a decent job in north america. It hasn’t been the case for decades, but hey, feel free to trot that out when a person of colour is telling you about racist offences that are happening today. I’m sure it will make them feel much better to learn that your great-great-great grandparent would understand their pain and frustration.

kittehserf

“Hey! My ancestors got stomped on by the Romans! Don’t tell me about oppressive conquerors!”

lightcastle
lightcastle

@Bina, thank you. It bugs me no end that you get these people claiming “humanism” as some new, better word to replace feminism, without any sense of the history. Or proclaim humanism as some kind of colour blind ideology. Its to the point where I almost dont want to call myself a humanist anymore because people think of it only as a word that exists to deny feminism or racism, instead of its actual history as an intellectual and philosophical movement.

ralmcg
ralmcg

This gave me a big ah-ha moment, it makes a lot of sense, kudos.

Thank you shayla. That’s nice.

ralmcg
ralmcg

I shouldn’t have put “Thank you shayla. That’s nice.” in block quotes. I’m learning how to blockquote.

leatapp
leatapp

It’s as if they think women aren’t even people.

Ding ding ding!
We have a winner.
Here is your prize, Chie:
comment image

jefrir
jefrir

Hey, I identify as a humanist. But I also identify as a feminist, because I realise that sexism and the patriarchy are problems that need a more specific focus within the broader framework of humanism. Same with racism, and homophobia, and transphobia, and classism. And I get pretty fed up of arseweasels who act like humanism is some sort of gotcha to use against people dealing with more specific problems, and don’t seem to give a shit about it otherwise.

leatapp
leatapp

The thing about being a humanist is that it means you are also a feminist. You cannot be a humanist and not be feminist.

Robert Ramirez

I am surprise he didn’t bring up the Illuminati

jefrir
jefrir

No worries, Auggziliary. I agree that “humanism” without a clear grasp of the current reality is at best worthless, at worst harmful.

Incidentally, do you guys know about the formatting toolbar plugin for Firefox? It makes defeating the blockquote monster much simpler.

kittehserf

ralmcg, you have passed your Being Devoured By The Blockquote Monster initiation. Congratulations!

jefrir, where does one get this plugin? Is it like the formatting buttons one sees on other blogs (Feministe for example)?

Bina
Bina

(waving hand) Ah yes, that would be me. ‘Course, my ancestors did beat those bastards back a bit at Teutoburg, so there’s that. Still pisses me off no end that I still have to fight these battles against the gender equivalent of the Roman Empire, though. And against these arseweasels (great word!) abusing the term “humanism”, too. Far’s I’m concerned, the “humanist” arseweasels are the bigots’ best friends.

kittehserf

WHAT HAVE THE ROMANS DONE FOR US?

jefrir
jefrir

kittehserf, yes it’s pretty much like that, or the formatting buttons in something like word. You get a toolbar with a set of buttons just below the address bar – choose the right encoding for the website (html here and in most places, remembered between sessions), select the text, and press the button. It does quotes, links, and a variety of formatting.
To install it, go into the Firefox menu and click Add-ons -> Get Add-ons and search for “text formatting toolbar”. I believe similar toolbars are available for other browsers (possibly with the exception of Internet Explorer).

this one is between perspectives
this one is between perspectives

yes Bina! ready your Valkyrie steel, in the frozen feminist northlands we wait for the perfect moment to conquer the weakened ‘Murica.